Dixon Plans On Playing Friday Night

I chatted with Juan Dixon following yesterday's game here in Berlin and the former Terp told me that he planned on making his preseason debut Friday night in Barcelona. Juan has been bothered by a sore right calf, the result of a hard kick to the area he took two weeks ago.

Also, look for Antawn Jamison (right knee) to possibly play as well. Jamison practiced the other day and was really working up a sweat before yesterday's game. He said the knee feels much better.

Coach Eddie Jordan said that Antonio Daniels, who sat out yesterday, has been bothered by knee soreness but when I asked Daniels about it he said it was no big deal. I've found him to be very accurate with that kind of thing over the years.

The team flew from Berlin to Barcelona late last night and was scheduled to get into the team hotel this morning. My flight is a little later this afternoon. I'm looking forward to seeing Barcelona for the first time but I'm going to miss this place. Berlin is really cool. Beautiful, interesting city. Friendly people. Great food and bier (haven't seen a single Miller Lite, Budweiser or Coors product in three days and I like it).

I'll post some video of the sight seeing I did as soon as I get a chance.

By Ivan Carter |  October 15, 2008; 6:25 AM ET
Previous: Ugly In Berlin | Next: Haywood Set For Surgery On Thursday

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Of-course JD will be playing, he's not going to sit around and watch DeMarr Johnson steal that last roster spot.

Posted by: Wizzy | October 15, 2008 8:28 AM

Maybe Barcelona will be a little more friendly in the first quarter. And I agree ^, Juan better get in the game or he isn't going to have a job.

Posted by: LooseCannon | October 15, 2008 9:24 AM

Ivan,

You should try and hit up one of the great Spanish beaches while in Barcelona. Playa Bogatell in particular has great sights from what I can remember.

Posted by: Sightseer (Richmond) | October 15, 2008 10:02 AM

The more I think about it, the more I believe the Wiz need both DerMarr and Juan Dixon. I know they will be shy about waiving a guaranteed contract, but having depth and a complete team should be of first concern. Pecherov should be the one guy to go. He is a 7 footer who doesn't seem to take advantage of his size. We have Thomas, Blatche, McGee, Songaila, and Jamison at the 4 and 5 and honestly, there is no need for a center who only shoots 3's. I really would keep Juan around at least until Gilbert comes back. And it would be really hard to cut DerMarr when we need the SF depth.

Posted by: NobodyBeatsTheWiz | October 15, 2008 10:05 AM

If you liked Berlin, wait till you hit Barcelona. One of the coolest cities on earth.

If you're looking for something to do on Saturday night, could see the "other" soccer team in Barcelona, Espanyol (as opposed to Barcelona). They play Villareal in the Olympic Stadium at 9 that night. 2nd vs 9th in the Spanish League.

Posted by: Kev | October 15, 2008 10:06 AM

sign DerMarr Johnson...

Posted by: Sam | October 15, 2008 10:13 AM

Posted by: NobodyBeatsTheWiz | October 15, 2008 10:05 AM

If they did that, the Wizards would be over the Luxury Tax - so that's NOT gonna happen.

A more likely scenario is that:

Dee Brown will stick - he's earned a spot. Besides, the Wiz cannot afford to go into the season with only one true 33-year old Point Guard (Antonio Daniels).

Dermarr Johnson and Juan Dixon will fight for the final roster spot.

Right now, I believe that Dermarr has the edge. He's averaging over 10 points per game (3rd on the team), with a 53.9% True Shooting Percentage. At 6'9", he can backup both the Shooting Guard and Small Forward spots; where the Wizards need help... AND Juan has not helped his case by sitting out the first 4 Preseason games.

Posted by: Rook | October 15, 2008 10:28 AM

clearly JD has the edge. EG loves signing injured players, and the only one who hasn't sucked a$$ in preseason

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 11:38 AM

The endorsement from Caron in Ivan's story cannot hurt DerMarr's case either.

I was focusing on making sure that the guys see the Gaudi architecture, but yes Ivan check out the beach in Sitges, about 15 miles from Barcelona.

Posted by: khrabb | October 15, 2008 11:40 AM

Hopefully he breaks his ankle so we cut him and keep Demarr johnson.

All I know is its going to be a long long season in washington ending with EG and EJ getting fired.

The wizards are one of the worst run teams in the NBA and EG is one of the worst GM's in the league. I hate that I am a fan of this joke frachise

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 11:43 AM

Ivan, you don't need to see no "socca" game you need to check out the honey's Please!! you can watch "socca" when can't do nuthin else find the hot spots,dance clubs, and fine cuisine and holla at a brutha and let me know, i've got a trip planned in 09 with a business associate.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | October 15, 2008 11:43 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 11:43 AM

identify yourself if ur gonna hate like that

Posted by: prescrunk | October 15, 2008 11:50 AM

The Wizards have no need for Dixon. He brings nothing to the table that they can't get just as much of from someone already on the roster. Johnson, on the other hand, brings size, off the dribble skills, and scoring at the backup SF spot that they currently lack.

Posted by: kalorama | October 15, 2008 11:51 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 11:43 AM

What weed you smoking?? I don't like all the moves that Ernie made either but the man has turned us into a playoff team after being a lottery team forever! Cut the man some slack. Its not his fault this team can't stay healthy. Its not his fault he works for an owner who refuses to go over the luxury tax. So what if he had a few bad drafts. Every GM does at some point. But the fact of the matter is, we're winning now. Something that couldn't be said in 10 years.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 12:02 PM

Sorry. I made that last post.

Posted by: C.Bell | October 15, 2008 12:03 PM

I'm glad Juan is going to play in some preseason games. Hopefully other teams will see that he is playing well so that when the Wizards cut him, he will get picked up.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 12:15 PM

What an ugly game from the Wizards yesterday. Clumsy and uninspired basketball. I guess I have to get use to blowout games like this one until Agent Zero and BH comes back.

Posted by: Bob | October 15, 2008 12:15 PM

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | October 15, 2008 11:43 AM

The futbol match is at 9 - the "honeys" and everyone else in Barca won't be hitting the clubs for hours after that. You'll see, the city is a ghost town before 1am - that's when people are finishing dinner.

Posted by: Kev | October 15, 2008 12:20 PM

Hey Ivan, what's up with Blatche? He started out strong in the first couple of games but he's been terrible since then.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 15, 2008 12:27 PM

They should have blown this team completely apart and moved on. I swear it is turning into Ground Hogs Day. Different year, same situation, players that can't make it out of camp without major injuries. We have to have the softest players in the league. I have never, never, seen a team so beset with major injuries.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 12:55 PM

I think the wiz have enough young, potential talent on the bench with Young, DMac, and McGee. They could use a little more consistency from vets like Juan and DerMarr. I hope they either convince Pech to return overseas ( for a little longer ), or straight up trade him for a draft pick ( I don't even care if its a 2nd rounder ... cause it's about what he's worth, if that). Either way, the wiz would be under the cap to keep both Juan and DerMarr.

I don't see any other scenario that makes sense that would allow the wiz to keep both Juan and DerMarr.

It would be a shame if we couldn't keep both, because we have a need for both.

Posted by: 2cents | October 15, 2008 1:07 PM

EG ruined the knicks and Bucks and left them both in shambles. He is on his way to doing the same thing with the wizards. Also yes it is his fault that he signed Gilly to that huge contract and he got hurt.....What good GM gives a player that kind of money coming off multiple serious knee surgeries??? Please name one.. As for Jamison he was a solid addition when we got him but he is a soft 32 yr old that moves poorly to begin with. By the time he is 34, 35, 36 he is going to be constantly injured and a PF that shoots jumpers all day. EG ruined this team for at least the next 5 season with the pathetic moves he made this offseason. The only truly great move he has made since he got here was the Caron butler trade every other move can be debated or was just a bad decision. Can't wait til he and EJ get fired so this organization can start moving in the right direction again. Keep saying contuinity builds championships....might be true if you have a championship core but anyone who knows anything about the NBA knows this team has no shot at the finals healthy or not. Also Boston and the lakers disproved EG's continuity theory last year. You have to have good players to win.....you can't just continue to keep the same bums and think they are going to turn into champions. What a joke FIRE EG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 2:38 PM

Great Post other Anon I'm glad someone else has taken the home blinders off and is thinking with a level head. There is no way anyone in their right mind can honestly look at this roster and think its a contender. I don't want to hear the argument about how we were 1st at the all-star break 2-3 years ago either. The East is 10 times better since then and gil isn't half the player he was then.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 2:41 PM

identify yourself if ur gonna hate like that

Posted by: prescrunk | October 15, 2008 11:50 AM

Everyone should be hating like that. This team is pathetic

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 2:44 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 11:43 AM
Worst run?
I guess you haven't heard how the Grizzlies, the Knicks, Pacers, Bucks, Raptors, Clippers, "Thunder", etc. did over the last few years. Some of these teams paid close to or well over the luxury tax unnecessarily for underperforming players.

Posted by: rgz | October 15, 2008 2:49 PM

"EG ruined the knicks and Bucks and left them both in shambles."

The Knicks went to two NBA Finals on Grunfeld's watch. How've they been looking since he left?

Posted by: kalorama | October 15, 2008 3:00 PM

"EG ruined the knicks and Bucks and left them both in shambles."

During Grunfeld's four seasons in Milwaukee, the Bucks never finished below .500, went to the playoffs three times, and won more playoff games in 4 years than they had won in the previous 12 years combined.

Posted by: kalorama | October 15, 2008 3:09 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 2:38 PM

That is why Jamison's salary came down from $16.3M in his last contract year down to $9.9M this year. I think that is very good value for 20 pts and 12 rebounds per game don't you?

Or have you got somebody in mind we can get for that little money, that some team GM will let us have?

Posted by: rgz | October 15, 2008 4:41 PM

A more likely scenario is that:

Dermarr Johnson and Juan Dixon will fight for the final roster spot.

Its a shame that the staying under the luxury tax is more inportant than fielding the best team we can.

Posted by: NobodyBeatsTheWiz | October 15, 2008 8:09 PM

Posted by: NobodyBeatsTheWiz | October 15, 2008 8:09 PM

It's probably more like the Wizards have $2 Million dollars, a 2nd round pick, 2 training camps and an entire year invested in McGuire... and they know better than some nobody anonymous poster on a blog whether their investment is a good one or not.

Posted by: Rook | October 15, 2008 9:09 PM

Posted by: NobodyBeatsTheWiz | October 15, 2008 8:09 PM

Perhaps you should get off your mom's couch in the basement and go apply for the Wizard's GM position..... Oh yeah...never mind, You're not qualified!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 15, 2008 9:10 PM

Ivan, Barcelona is a awesome city. It has everything. Great Achitecture, wonderful art galleries, a slammin night life, great food and drinks (sangria made fresh everyday), and the beachs. Make sure you spend some time on the Rambla, its really fun and great people watching....yes, those lovely spanish chicas. Have a great time a drink a glass of sangria for me.

Posted by: Surfer | October 15, 2008 9:55 PM

Grunfeld has done such a great job as the GM - who dares to question him.

I am sick of the Wiz avoiding the luxury threshhold b/c of the $. Polin has plenty of it and other teams do go over. Our goal should be to try to get the best team possible... and I said drop Pecherov, not McGuire. And scared Anonymous poster... I may not know more than Grunfeld but guaranteed I know more than you do and most posters here on the topic... I have hosted sports radio shows and am a respected poster on true fan message boards in other sports... this is unfortunately the only Wiz message board that people often post at. what have you done?

Posted by: NobodyBeatsTheWiz | October 16, 2008 12:15 AM

It's easy to spend other people's money. But the fact is, going over the tax is not a surefire formula to win a title. in fact, most of the teams that have gone over haven't actually won a title, and many of them haven't gotten anywhere close to it. And really, it's all moot because as things currently stand, the only way for them to go over the tax would be to sign someone with the MLE, and there's no one out there now who's worth the actual MLE, let alone twice the MLE, which is what they'd be paying if they went over the tax.

Posted by: kalorama | October 16, 2008 12:34 AM

Who kick JD? Was it DJ? HMMM.

Posted by: kfraz | October 16, 2008 7:12 AM

This is why you guys are bloggers and not GM's, some of the stuff you guys say on this board are ubsurd. I wouldn't dare even think of cutting DMAC, he's going to be a star in this league, he can affect a game in so many ways without scoring. I think that what we need out of our backup SF is defense, and intangibles and to knock down open shots, something that DMAC has obviously worked on this offseason, pre-season is exactly what it is, pre-season. If you're going off of that then we need to cut everyone on this team the way they've performed so far, they'll get their rythm and be okay for the regular season. DMAC looks a lot more confident and comfortable on the court so far even if his shot isn't falling rite now and thats what i'm more concerned about, last year he wouldn't even shoot the ball. I'm all for DJ making this team, but not at the expense of any player other than OP, and I think he will be fine also.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 16, 2008 11:53 PM