Gearing Up For Dallas

The Wizards took a day off yesterday but hit the court again today and will start getting for the first two preseason games: Tuesday night at Dallas and Wednesday night at Memphis. The interesting thing about this week is that it includes three games (also the home tilt Friday night against Detroit) and then the team heads to Germany on Saturday for the Euro trip.

(I'm flying over Saturday as well. Been working on my German all summer like this line of questioning: "Wo kann ich ein gutes bier finden?")

I'll be curious to see how Coach Eddie Jordan uses his rotations in the first two games. We know that Brendan Haywood is out with that sprained right wrist so it should give Etan Thomas a chance to find his way a little bit. I though he looked very explosive at times during Friday's scrimmage - particularly on the boards - but he's also clearly working to get his timing back on offense, particularly when the ball is dumped into him in the post.

When practice gets out today, I'll ask Eddie about what we all can expect in tomorrow's game.

By Ivan Carter  |  October 6, 2008; 10:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Haywood Out At Least One Week
Next: The Other Side: Dallas Mavericks

Comments

frist

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Cut Pesherov

Posted by: NedMan | October 6, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Start Blatche!

Posted by: Crabhands | October 6, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

NedMan:
Much as you might want to cut OP, he has a guaranteed contract. He's one of several I'd like to trade for draft choices, but who is that silly or desperate?
IMO there are no untouchables on this team, and only two guys I wouldn't trade for draft choices. (GA to either the Knicks or Clippers for 2 firsts.)

Posted by: lrmc623 | October 6, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I'm from Germany, can't wait for the game in Berlin.

Question: Will the team appear anywhere besides the actual game?

Posted by: Bex | October 6, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I bet a Bud Light that Brendan doesn't make the trip to Europe. This is going to turn into a several month injury!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

If you're the kind of guy who orders Bud Light, you've got no right to make fun of Brenda about anything, holmes.

Posted by: bryc3 | October 6, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, you and the guys are going to have a GREAT time in Berlin.

Interestingly enough, unless you have a real yen to try German food, I think that you will find that the best restaurants are Italian.

The best clubbing is around Oranienburger Strasse and there is a good Jazz place on KantStrasse.

Enjoy!

Posted by: khrabb | October 6, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, he'll play the starters less than 25 minutes a game in pre-season, but that's probably not the expectation.

A better question would be what does he expect out of Blatche and Young in pre-season? (McGuire seems to be a self-starter without the need for the coach to set down a marker).

Posted by: Izman | October 6, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't surprise me if the team only kept one of the four camp signees and went into the regular season with 14 players and an open roster spot.

Posted by: kalorama | October 6, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

'His timing back'??

When did Thomas ever have any timing on offense?

Posted by: KTV | October 6, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

KTV has got a point about Etan and offense. Irmc623, there are hardly any teams out there with the cap space to take a player for a draft pick. So I don't think Pecherov, or anyone else is going to get traded for a pick.

Since Philly picked up Brand they were trying to peddle their 2nd year power forward Smith for a future number one and can't find a taker. And he had a really good summer league.

That's why Jaun was hanging out there, so many teams with quarenteed contracts clogging their rosters right now and no cap space left to manuver.

DerMarr has bounced from team to team and has never shown the same form he had before his injury. And the truth is that so far in his career he's never been able to harness that talent and develop a consistant NBA game.

I'd love for the guy to blow everyone away and force his way onto the roster. But none of us have actually seen him play in a preseason game yet. I want to see what he can do before I start penciling him into the rotation. I'm going to be really interested to see what he does along with Dee Brown, Juan Dixon, JaVale McGee, and yes, Pecherov, during this preseason.

This is going to be an interesting preseason on a lot of levels, I'm really going to be watching Blatche, McGuire, and Young and how they're going to fit into the rotation this year.

And the best thing about a Bud Lite is the commercials...

Posted by: GM | October 6, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Some other teams that could take OP and still be under the luxury tax are Charlotte, LA Clippers, and OK City. Also Utah, but they're too wise.

Posted by: lrmc623 | October 6, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 6, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I am going to watch the game with a focus on Pecherov. I am ready to write this guy off if I don't see improvement. And what I mean by that is I want to get the impression that he "gets it". What I have seen of him... he just kind of has this look on his face like he's taking a sunday afternoon walk, casual, almost blank look lacking any sign of intensity. He has no handle. No strength. No athletic grace. He is awkward, uncoordinated, and most importantly has no sense of game. No kind of attack mentality, no sense of what to do and when. I am disapointed he hasn't put on more weight and muscle in the 2 1/2 years since we drafted him.

If I see him repeatedly standing at the 3 point line and tossing up shots within 1 second of getting the ball I will not be happy. I will not be happy if he still does not understand the NBA game, and we keep him instead guys that do like Dee Brown, Juan Dixon or DerMarr Johnson.

Posted by: Darnell | October 6, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Pecherov has no instincts. He has a nice looking shot, but he shoots it too quickly.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 6, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

As we say in the hood (Pecherov) is a "self check" Sorry to see that Brendan is hurt expecting a huge year out of him and Etan.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | October 6, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Hold it. Is tomorrow's game televised?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 6, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Yes. It's on comcast.

Posted by: Darnell | October 6, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards should hire Massenburg and give him a coaching job. They should have a full time big man coach.

Posted by: Darnell | October 6, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

"Memphis is far enough under the regular gap that they could take the Poet and still be under."

And why would they do that?

Posted by: kalorama | October 7, 2008 1:06 AM | Report abuse

They need to get some full-time big men before they hire a full-time big man's coach.

Posted by: kalorama | October 7, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

I was going to post that they should hire Massenburg, but Darnell beat me to it. Volunteer coach? Come on, at least treat the guy to lunch or something.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 7, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Plus, if you hire a former Maryland player as a coach, the Terp fans around here won't whine as much when you cut Dixon. Oh, who am I kidding, yes they will.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 7, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Thanks.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 7, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Shouldn't Blatche be the first sub off the bench at 4? Give Pecherov some run too. Start Etan at 5, give him a few minutes then get an extended look at McGee. Rest Songaila and his bad back.

Posted by: G$ | October 7, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Let's not write Pecherov off just yet... Ukranians are not wussies, so I am quite confident there will be no more Opech posterizations and all Stewie references from here on out will be affectionate ones!

Finding out who can fill out the roster is what preseason is for. Etan is the only veteran who needs minutes to regain his timing. Most of the rest of the minutes need to go to AB, NY, DMac, Opech, DerMarr, Dee and Juan.

If Linton or Taj can catch a break in the first two games stateside, on of them may get a trip to Europe, but I doubt it.

We should have a deep team and a good year... after all Hollinger has us down for 11th in the East again, always a good omen.

Posted by: khrabb | October 7, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

pech is still rushing things offensively in my opinion. but i do like the way he goes after rebounds, even if he rarely leaves the floor. i think there is a role on this team for him, albeit a limited one, especially when gilbert gets back. he is a legit 7' tall and can shoot out to the 3-point line. this will force bigs to come out of the paint to guard him and open up driving lanes for people like gilbert, caron, nick and andray.

imho, the only trade bait we've got is songaila

Posted by: rl24 | October 7, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

The team already has a big man coach and that is supposed to be Phil Hubbard. Not sure how well that I would evaluate his impact on the guys we have so far, marginal at best.

Posted by: newguy | October 7, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

wie viel für ein stunde fräulein?

Posted by: Hans | October 7, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse