Haywood On McGee

FYI: We'll be conducting an on-line chat today at 3:30 so hop in with any questions about camp. I'll be happy to drop as much knowledge as possible.

I'm really dragging today folks after watching my Twins go down to the hated Ozzies last night. Man that hurt. One darn run all night? That is why I wasn't upset when the third base coach sent Michael Cuddyer from third in the fifth inning with two outs. Denks had it going and you could tell that runs would be precious. Ken Griffey made a great throw and (former Twin) A.J. Pierzynski held on for the tag. Great baseball.

The Kirby Puckett bobblehead is at half mast. However, I was reminded of one of the cool things about sports late last night as I drowned my sorrows in a sixer of Bud here in my room in Richmond: friend after friend from around the country - none of whom are Twins fans - dropped me texts well into the night saying how they felt for me. Guess that's a sign of true friends no?

Today, I led my newspaper coverage off with a story about how Coach Eddie Jordan is evaluating his bigs. The roster is filled with a bunch of guys between 6-9 and 7-feet and many of them can play more than one spot.

Here's the link:

The quote from Haywood about rookie JaVale McGee was really telling. Two things: Haywood is not given to rash statements and when he does praise someone, he really means it from a basketball standpoint. I respect the man's bball IQ and the fact that he'll always answer a question honestly (which has gotten him in trouble in the past but hey, we asked right?)

As a guy who really studies centers (it's always interesting to listen to Haywood break down a scouting report on a guy he is going to face on a given night) it was telling to hear that strong of praise for the rook. Now, nobody is saying that McGee is ready to do much right now but the combination of size, length and athletic ability is stunning and, he's competing each day. I don't see any intimidation.

I'll check back in later after the morning practice. And remember, hit up the chat at 3:30......

By Ivan Carter |  October 1, 2008; 11:09 AM ET
Previous: Iguodala: Mo' Money, No Problems - Yet | Next: Walker Never Thought He'd Be A Wizard

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Sorry, Ivan. As a lifelong Cubs fan I can feel your pain...

Loved that quote by BTH. Great reporting. I can't say I was all that impressed with JaVale in his Vegas games (or Dee Brown or Nick Young, for that matter). The young man has a lot to learn about the game. But I'm looking forward to seeing more of him. I still imagine it would be better to send him to D League instead of riding pine behind BTH, Etan, and AB. But hey, I've been wrong before.

Posted by: Prazak | October 1, 2008 11:40 AM

...which is more reason to wonder why we are gonna put McGee on the 4 year plan. Our M.O. is to develop him and give him 10 minutes a game for 4 years then look on in amazement when he produces for another team. Kwame was an exception and a head case. No need to slow walk everyone, though. Let him get his feet wet. THIS YEAR !

Posted by: mark | October 1, 2008 11:43 AM

Won't be able to make the chat. But here's my questions.

Eddie brings in coaches each training camp and this year he has Flip Saunders. Is he helping out with practices? Or is he just there to observe?

Posted by: C.Bell | October 1, 2008 11:46 AM

There are advantages and disadvantages to sending a guy to the D-League. From the perspective of a coach, the big disadvantage is that while a guy gets PT in the D-League, he's not getting experience in the same system the team normally runs, which makes evaluating his actual progress in relation to the team's needs difficult. It could also result in him learning game/playing habits that are incompatible with the team's own philosophy. If you're talking about a guy who's being groomed for a definite role on the team down the line, keeping him close to home and having him work with the players, coaches, and system he's going to have to be familiar with makes sense.

Posted by: kalorama | October 1, 2008 11:50 AM

"he's competing each day. I don't see any intimidation."

C'mon Ivan, you have to add a disclaimer with that statement.

JaVale is going against guys like ET who had heart surgery not long ago, OPech who has no inside presence and weighs 234lbs, DSong's who's about 6-8, BTH who has a limited offensive game, and AB who's more finesse than inside.

Not exactly worldbeaters in the paint for Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 12:00 PM

Gilby the romantic:

How he knew she was The One: "I've done kicked her out of my house almost every weekend, yet she's still here and she still believes in me," he writes.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 12:43 PM

Well, Ivan.
You can be comforted in the fact that your stinking Twins got 100 times farther than the Nationals this year.

Btw - I agree it is very important that Haywood stays strong this year.

Posted by: sam | October 1, 2008 12:45 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 12:59 PM

"DCMann - stop hating and be happy for Arenas and his fiancee. People should be happy when men marry the mother of their children (not in shotgun fashion).

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 12:59 PM "

I guess you wouldn't mind if your man kicked you out of the house every weekend.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 1:12 PM

"When Is the Wedding Date?
This is a man law.

The man law has been passed on by men regarding engagement and I just found out about it: You should prolong your engagement as long as you can.

I thought it was because the men were scared to get married. No. That’s not it. It’s because of life in the bedroom disappearing once you get married. Married men don’t have that, so they figure the longer you can stay engaged, there’s more love.

So, I’ll probably set the wedding date for 2027. I figure by then, I’m not going to be focused on the bedroom anymore. "

------------------------------------------

LOL!

Gilby is a crackup!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 1:28 PM

Posted by: G-Man | October 1, 2008 2:05 PM

IVAN,

Is GA still working with the Youngens?

Posted by: VB Fan | October 1, 2008 2:15 PM

hmmm. wishin' it was YOU that got the ring, hater?
Sorry. He's taken.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:32 PM

"hmmm. wishin' it was YOU that got the ring, hater?
Sorry. He's taken.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 2:32 PM "

Don't hate me for what Gilby posted on his blog.

For all the superheads out there like you, he may be engaged, he may get married, but that don't mean a thing...LOL!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 2:50 PM

Posted by: CN | October 1, 2008 2:55 PM

"Brendan said that McGee is top 3 athletically amongst NBA centers. Athletically, who is he in a class with?

Posted by: G-Man | October 1, 2008 2:05 PM "

What is that saying? Nothing.

The top 2 athletic centers in the NBA are probably Dwight Howard and Tyson Chandler.

Camby would be up there if he wasn't 34 and been injured so much. Oden is a question mark b/c of his injury.

Who else is out there?

Yao Ming ain't athletic. Big Z ain't athletic. Kaman ain't athletic. Duncan ain't athletic.

These are traditional back to the basket type of post players, which is what most centers should be.

Okafor is a PF playing center. Stoudemire is a PF playing center.

Therefore, BTH's proclamation doesn't mean much, especially since JaVale hasn't played a single minute in a single game in the NBA yet.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 2:56 PM

"Wow, looks like we have poster obsessed with a particular basketball player that it involves said poster delving into said player's life. I know this is all public info, but you still have to dig it up and actually obsess over it enough to repeatedly. Get on the TMZ blogs for people who actually care about gossip, personal lives, etc. Only gossip I care about are those on the trade front...

Posted by: CN | October 1, 2008 2:55 PM "

LOL!

Go read today's Post. It's printed as current news and linked into Gilby's blog as a recent post by Gilby himself.

I find it funny how people love how Gilby hypes himself, but when that hype turns upside down into clownish acts or statements, these Gilby fans get defensive.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 2:59 PM

Kalorama,
I think it was you that called me out on the fact that McGuire's progression will have little impact on Jamison, since McGuire's primarily a 3 and Jamison's a 4.

There's always been a small-ball lineup that could now include McGuire at the 4. On the flip side, a taller line-up could be used where Jamison is at the 3, which is where he played in bursts last year.

My point was that if McGuire continues to improve, it would lighten the load on the vets. If McGuire can steal even 7 mins/gm at the 3 that would normally go to Jamison, that would help tremendously, as Jamison could now use that time to rest.

Posted by: CN | October 1, 2008 3:00 PM

Posted by: CN | October 1, 2008 3:04 PM

Pointing out that the development of the young players will ease the burden on the vets isn't exactly a revelation. Obviously it would help. But McGuire's development at the 3 will have little to no impact on Jamison specifically because Jamison rarely plays the 3, which is McGuire's primary position. McGuire's impact will be be beneficial to Butler, not Jamison. Blatche's development, however could have a significant impact on Jamison, as could the continued health of Songaila and Thomas.

Posted by: kalorama | October 1, 2008 3:09 PM

"I don't "love how [a basketball player] hypes himself." I care about the bottom line of the team. So, I'm not in that crowd of people who like his personality, but hate how people pick on him. I'm just here to see how the team is progressing through camp and starting next month, I'll be here to see how the team is dealing with all those victories, with or without it's injured players...

Posted by: CN | October 1, 2008 3:04 PM "

Bravo to you.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 3:35 PM

DMac is a tweener. His game is more suited for a 4, but his size is for a 3.

He's got mediocre handles, can't get his shot off quickly, and has average lateral movement.

I wouldn't even try to categorize DMac. He's just a scrapper in the mold of someone like a poor man's Boris Diaw.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 3:45 PM

Why not put a link where you mention the 3:30 chat?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 4:28 PM

Gilby the romantic:

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 12:43 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 4:37 PM

------------------------------------------

LOL!

Gilby is a crackup!

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 1:28 PM

for the longest time, you swore up and down that you never read Gilbert Arenas' blog....

What changed?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 4:38 PM

"What changed?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 4:38 PM "

The Washington Post posted a link to Gilby's blog in their article.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 4:40 PM

"What's the matter DC Man88, depressed that "Gilby", your love obsession, is now off the market?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 4:37 PM "

Yeah, Gilby's off the market like every NBA is off the market when they're at their away games.

Just ask Pat Ewing's wife, Superhead, and a host of others.

Don't get mad at me for Gilby kicking Laura out of his house every weekend.

I'm sure Laura's father felt proud after reading that tidbit.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 4:42 PM

But then again Pecherov's a bust from watching a half of a year on a bad wheel.
It's a wonder some of you guys aren't scouts.
By mid year this year the Wizards should start to get an idea of what they have from last year's three rookies. You are right, lets wait and see before we start ordering finals tickets.

But on the surface it appears that this is a very competitive camp with the youngsters apparently playing very well so far.

As always, Kalorama misses any point that wasn't made by Kalorama. First of all in the Princeton system, a forward's a forward. There are really no differences between the two in any Princeton set.
Defensively the Wizards often switch up on defensive matchups. Quite often you will see Butler gaurding the power forward and Jamison taking the other team's small forward.

So any forward that gains playing time will impact Jamison's work load. The goal is to get both Jamison and Butler's workload reduced. McGuire and Blatche are the two prime guys to do it. And even Thomas's return will help since Blatche was getting a number of minutes at backup center last year.

If Arenas returns to form, there is great logic in using one of the big three with the second unit more. That can be done as a sixth man , or how Eddie has done it in the past by giving Jamison the quick hook and then bringing him back early to play with the second unit.

It really doesn't make a lot of difference, It really doesn't matter who starts, or what combos are used through the games. It's who is on the court come crunch time.

Posted by: GM | October 1, 2008 4:58 PM

"First of all in the Princeton system, a forward's a forward. There are really no differences between the two in any Princeton set."

That may be true in college at the actual Princeton or at Goergetown, but the Wizards play in the NBA, where there are generally quite a few distinctions between SF and PF. McGuire is not an NBA PF. The Wiz also don't play anything close to a pure Princeton offense, because last I checked a Princeton offense also uses a C who can hit midrange and pass from the high post on cuts, something the Wizards conspicuously lack.

"And even Thomas's return will help since Blatche was getting a number of minutes at backup center last year."

A point that I made quite clearly in my previous post, so acting like you're making some kind of revelation by bringing it up is a bit silly. But then, I suppose actually reading something before crafting a response would be too much to ask of you at this juncture.

"It really doesn't make a lot of difference, It really doesn't matter who starts, or what combos are used through the games. "

Simply and utterly untrue, in ways to numerous to mention.

Posted by: kalorama | October 1, 2008 5:48 PM

"88'er,you deduced all that by watching the guy's rookie season when he was changing from his college positon. Damned you are good, that's a lot of information to pickup from watching a few minutes play here and there.

But then again Pecherov's a bust from watching a half of a year on a bad wheel.
It's a wonder some of you guys aren't scouts.

Posted by: GM | October 1, 2008 4:58 PM "

It's great when they're in a little pond such as training camp where they can impress each other and pat each other on the back with their exploits.

Unfortunately, games are played against other teams and those teams in the East got significantly better.

Time will tell when these little fish swim from the little pond to the big ocean and whether or not they will get gobbled up.

OPech hasn't shown any glimpses or given any indication that he's anything but a great gym rat practice player. In fact, most euro players are great passers, but all we hear is how great he is in taking long range open J's.

I recommend not holding your breath in waiting for him to come around.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 1, 2008 7:08 PM

Great job with the blogs but we don't care about your Twins. Can we stick to basketball? Everybody has other favorite teams they like but you're a Wizards beat writer! Enough Minnesota BS!! Sorry to be so harsh...

Posted by: F*%$# Minnesota and Baseball | October 1, 2008 10:25 PM

Any chance DeMarr Johnson beats out Pecherov for a roster spot??

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 11:15 PM

"Any chance DeMarr Johnson beats out Pecherov for a roster spot??

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2008 11:15 PM "

OPech's got a guaranteed contract.

No way the Wiz will eat that and then pay DerMarr and go over the lux tax threshold.

I mean, they already gave Juan 1/2 a nonguaranteed contract and are probably just a hair under.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2008 9:00 AM

A Kalorama post where he tells anyone that disagrees with him they are WRONG. Not surprising.

An 88 post where he trashes a Wizard's player. Pretty much expected. Another day, another Wizard's player, fan, coach, owner, or General Manager trashed. Do you have anything nice to say about the cheerleaders?

Thomas and Haywood do lack the typical skills that a Princeton Center would possess. That's the reason why so often going down the stretch you'll see Songaila playing center and running the offense.

That's also why Eddie seems set on playing Blatche some minutes at center. His court vision and passing ability are more suited for the Princeton then either Haywood or Thomas. Blatche also has the ability to put the ball on the floor and create from the center, or spoke position as many Princeton coaches refer to it.

That's why Pecherov and McGee were also drafted. Both guys have skills that translate to the Princeton. Really the Princton isn't much different then teams that play a point forward system on offense. And incresingly Eddie is adding a pick and roll game to it as well.

Eddie often has switched up and created plays where different players come out and serve as the spoke and he's had his centers serve as cutters and lowpost screeners. No this isn't a college or high school version, much of what the Wizards are doing is more complex and more simple at the same time.

Pro versions of the Princeton have evolved to the point that often the team running it never looks like they are running set plays, because they really aren't most of the time.

But my central point and the point that Kalorama ignored is, in the Wizard's system there is very little difference in the roles of the forwards. Any forward that gains incresed playing time will impact the playing time of other forwards.

I'd expect to see McGuire and Butler on the floor together at times. Just like Jamison and Blatche will be on the floor together sometimes too. And don't be surprised if Eddie has all 4 of them out there together before the year is out.

Posted by: GM | October 2, 2008 9:31 AM

GM'er.

Nevermind me being accused of "trashing" a player, tell us why you seem to be so high on a player such as OPech?

What has he done to garner such optimism?

Puhleaze....

With Les BouleS, the smart and sane approach is a "prove me wrong" approach, because they've been pretty much a disappointment for the past 30 years.

They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt, as this franchise bumbles and stumbles along....

Of course, unless you're content with status quo, training camp highlights, debacle after debacle, predictable injuries, and much ballyhooed gym rat workouts at VC.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 2, 2008 10:03 AM

"JaVale is looking good, man," Haywood said. "Some of the technical things he hasn't gotten yet and some of the fundamentals, but as far as being an athlete, the sky is the limit. This kid can really affect a game in a major way that not too many big men can. To me, he's probably one of the top two or three centers in terms of athleticism, in the league, hands down."

???????