Jamison Aiming For Quick Return

Antawn Jamison just stepped out to meet the press and said his right knee, the one with a contusion, is feeling better. Not only does Antawn think that he's going to play in the Oct. 29 regular season opener, he's aiming at possibly playing in the final two preseason games.
That's interesting because Jamison, according to my sources, was told initially that he could possibly miss a month to two months with that type of injury (patella tendon contusion).

"I'm not going to go out there if I'm hurting my team," Jamison said. "I know my body and I've played hurt before and I've played when I shouldn't have played so I know what to expect. Like I told you the other day (in Memphis he and I chatted before the game) that I felt good later on that night (that he hurt it - Tuesday in Dallas) and when I woke up the next day, I was like: 'I don't know how long this is going to last.' I"ve been getting treatment and it feels good,. The swelling is down. I think that with a few days of getting out there cutting again and moving, it should be ready...I don't think I'm playing on the Euro trip but I am aiming to play those last two preseason games."

Jamison will be making the trip to Europe while Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood will not.

-Juan Dixon (right calf) and Nick Young (left knee) are out again tonight. I did not get to catch Juan in the pregame lockeroom so I don't know exactly how he's feeling but he did say the other day that the calf has been tight ever since he got kicked hard in the area during practice last week. Young continues to rehab and says that he may or may not make the trip.

-Eddie Jordan talked about the center situation. Etan Thomas will start again tonight but Jordan did say that there is no guarantee that Thomas will be in the lineup for the opener. Jordan mentioned Andray Blatche and Darius Songaila as two guys who will see action at the center spot. Young JaVale McGee is there as well but Eddie didn't mention him. (My feeling is that the coaches and vets are intrigued by what they've seen out of the rookie so far but they know how it goes in this league with young, raw guys like him and they don't want to rush him.)

-Everyone's going for the Pistons tonight with the possible exception of Walter Herrmann who has a rib issue. That includes Kwame Brown, who has averaged 12.5 minutes in the first two preseason games for Detroit. He has eight points (on two of three shooting), with three rebounds, five fouls and no blocks in 25 minutes..

By Ivan Carter  |  October 10, 2008; 6:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ivan's Going to Europe
Next: Jamison Practices in Berlin

Comments

DUMP THE COACHS AND THE TRAINERS YOU DONT DESTROY PLAYER DURING PRACTIC THEIRS KNOW EXCUSE FOR YOUNG BEING HURT SHAME ON YOU

Posted by: VICKY LOONY | October 10, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I'm so tired of the "he's inexperienced" excuse for not playing the young guys. Jeez some of the so called veterans play just as bad. Need I mention Michael Ruffin?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

It's great that AJ is hoping to come back sooner than people thought, but I think he'll be an even bigger defensive liability than he was before.

No BTH to bail him or anyone else out.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 11, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Blatche was awful tonight (too much clubbin'?), the rook ain't ready, Darius looks even slower (if that's possible). Etan better eat his Wheaties, b/c he has to play about 35 min a game at Center this year

Posted by: SwiftIt | October 11, 2008 12:51 AM | Report abuse

i hate darius songaila at center

he's much more naturally a forward, but he'll be seeing center minutes because center is a thin position

i guess that post defense that i got used to with BTH will be a slightly different look this season, to put it nicely

Posted by: wherewouldibewithoutwiz | October 11, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

It wiil be OJT for McGee night in night out but let him get the minutes he can't learn sitting on the bench!This is where i disagree with EJ and a lot of NBA coach's philosophy on rookies they are too concerned about their physche, let em play how else will they learn? not in practice and not on the bench. I saw the post game interview with Andray where he said he was too amped up for the game thats why he performed poorly, Really? well lets hope thats the only reason and that Kwame Brown didn't intimidate him LOL!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | October 11, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"they know how it goes in this league with young, raw guys like him"

How does McGee compare to Bynum and then Kwame at the same age? The point is that the league's track record for picking winners is not great.

Would you rely on past performance of some other duds to keep Oden on the bench for the next several years? Again, the point is that each player is different - and each requires a different development plan to reach their potential.

A large part of development is confidence building. I don't see it here.

I haven't seen much of McGee so only the coaches and writers know what's real. But personally, I feel that the coaches are doing a poor job with Blatche, given his skill level. The dude is undisciplined. That's fixable.

Posted by: Izman | October 11, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

It's only fixable if Blatche is willing to fix it.

Posted by: kalorama | October 11, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Was at the game last night and we looked pretty horrid. Detroit was at full strength and looked as good as ever defensively.

JaVale is a sick athlete but will be a game to game insert based on how he's going, not quite ready.

Blatche was a non-factor, fouled out in the 3rd quarter.

Etan was active and strong but looked rusty.

If I had to pick a player of the game for the Wiz I wouldn't pick anyone, that's how bad it was.

A+ to the cheerleaders, nice.

JaVale McGee is going to be a stud.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 11, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

What was up with Blatche last night? 2-12, fouled out in the third quarter. That was even more disappointing, considering how well he played in the first two games.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 11, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Hope the gang has fun in Europe...

Posted by: khrabb | October 11, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I tried to look up DeMarr Johnson's NBA highlights on YouTube, but there weren't any.

Posted by: John Brisker | October 11, 2008 12:54 PM

Not sure who DeMarr Johnson is, but if you look for Dermar Johnson.... you'll find some highlights.

Posted by: Rook | October 11, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

You probably won't find any for Dermar Johnson either. But you might find some for DerMarr Johnson.

Posted by: Kalorama | October 11, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

The DerMarr Highlights Reels are in fact pretty impressive!

Posted by: khrabb | October 11, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

"Caron Butler needs to be the offensive leader on the court, he's to passive when the teams needs someone to take over.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 11, 2008 12:02 PM "

Why would a Princeton Offense require someone to have to take over?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 11, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Now this is what you call a franchise standing up against their players who break rules.

Gotta respect them for not taking any nonsense.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 11, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Darius at center? The wheels are officially off if/when he is checking Yao Ming, Andrew Bynum and Eddy Curry. Why won't Eddie give the rook regular burn if he earns it?
The Skins can't front on Horton because he's playing better than Doughty. Doesn't this same premise make sense in basketball? Don't play head games with McGee Eddie! If the boy can help then put him out there for 10 to 15 minutes.

Posted by: el freako | October 11, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Why would a Princeton Offense require someone to have to take over?

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 11, 2008 7:23 PM

I'm assuming that's a shot at EJ's coaching? This is the NBA not the Ivy League and when you are the only player of significance that's available you've got to lead your team with action, not words

EJ's Princeton offense is just a means to get the team into it's offensive flow.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 11, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

When the Wizards are employing the true Princeton weave for the majority of their half court sets, Darius Songaila is a plus. He passes well, sets picks and can get open to hit the mid-range jumper. He and Antonio Daniels seem to work together particularly well in these situations.

When the offensive tempo changes to a more open full-court, fast break mode, he is not quick enough to help out with ball motion or big enough to grab offensive rebounds, much less stuff them home.

Those are the situations that are tailor-made for a front court combination of Blatche and McGee... In Europe, I hope EJ looks closely at what a unit of Dee Brown, DerMarr Johnson, Nick Young, Andray Blatche and JaVale McGee can produce...

My sense is that if this group can play with tempo and control (and get back quickly on defense) they could change the momentum of a game. If they get erratic or flustered of course the results could be disastrous, but this is the time of year to experiment a bit, IMO.

Posted by: khrabb | October 12, 2008 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Eiddie jirdan is a joke. what might be our best center won't get playing time cause hes young. yeah just like the playoffs last year. The young guys are part of our nucleus that made us last year, but come playoffs they don't play. You do what got you there you don't change your rotation because it's the playoffs and you think rookies shouldn't play.WE WILL NEVER WE ANYTHING WORTH WHILE IF EDDIE JORDAN IS OUR COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: THE PAINFUL TRUTH | October 12, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

FIRED EG AND EJ....that is the only way this franchise will ever do anything. Also need to pray Abe sells the team. The 3 of them equal 1st round losses every year.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse