Haywood out 4-6 Months, Jamison Hopes to Return For Opener

(Updated)
As you read in the previous post, the WIzards received some terrible and some not-so-bad news today. Center Brendan Haywood will undergo surgery on his right wrist that is expected to keep him out four to six months, all but ending his season.

Antawn Jamison, who went down clutching his right knee in Dallas last night, underwent an MRI today that revealed no serious damage. However he does have a contusion that will keep him out for a couple of weeks at least. Jamison vowed to return for the regular season opener.

I spoke with him a short while ago.

"Oh, I'm going to be ready, you can count on that," Jamison said. "I'm a fast healer, always have been, so I don't see it lasting that long. I'm not promising anything but just me talking in general, I plan on being ready for the opener."

Etan Thomas started tonight here in Memphis and will likely continue to start in place of Haywood though Coach Eddie Jordan stopped short of stating that emphatically. Andray Blatche will start in place of Jamison but will also see action at center along with rookie JaVale McGee, who looked pretty good last night in Dallas.

-Caron Butler will not play tonight. He's fine, nothing wrong, just getting a night off. Nick Young (knee) told me last night that he'll miss a week and a half and Juan Dixon (calf) is out tonight but hopes to possibly play Friday night at home against Detroit.

-I've been writing pretty much the entire first half but JaVale McGee just had another one of those "wow" moments he's been periodically turning in. He posted up on the left baseline, wheeled hard and dribble baseline around Malick Haddadi and then rammed home a hard one-handed dunk on Haddadi's head. This came shortly after he checked in and drained a short, 8-foot jumper in the paint. The kid ain't shy folks......

By Ivan Carter  |  October 8, 2008; 1:28 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Side: Memphis Grizzlies
Next: Haywood Has Ligament Tear (Updated)

Comments

Never thought how important Brendan was to the team until hearing he could be out for most of the year. Worse that the procedure might not help the condition, if it was the same as was Antonio's case. At least we got Gil back healthy after last season. Oh, wait.

Posted by: Larry | October 8, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope Antawn's injury is not serious. His 20 pts and 12 rebounds per game production will be difficult to make up.

Brendan's presence in the paint will also be missed, I hope his injury is not too bad.

Posted by: rgz | October 8, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that ppl here that have hated on BTH will feel the effect of his absence if he's out for an extended period of time. We were dead last in the league in 3 point shooting defense last year. That suggests that we were concerned about our interior defense and didn't close out on perimeter shooters (among other things). If we had problems last year, imagine how it'll be without BTH in the middle.
I may be in the monority here but if I had to lose a guy, I would rather it be Jamison. That would at least force us to use AB at his most natural position and solidify the defense a little bit. As it stands, losing BTH will make us a little leaner inside with AB starting.
On the positive side, this'll definitely make McGuire the primary backup at the SF position. Team speed will have to be utilized. We may need to get out and run more as it's one of AB's strengths.

Posted by: mark | October 8, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

This team isn't good or deep enough to withstand losing any significant player with Arenas already out. but the suggestion that they'd miss Haywood more than Jamison is ludicrous.

Posted by: kalorama | October 8, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hate to say it, but BTH is the hardest player on the roster to replace. We don't have a natural 7-foot center and he had come into his own last year with improved foul shooting, better defense, and more of a threat on offense. The dropoff to either an undersized (Etan) or underweight (Blatche) option at center is a scary thought in a conference where all of the playoff teams have at least one lowpost presence.

Jamision's injury hopefully will be of the minor variety and he'll be back by the season opener. EG's hands are tied in terms of getting any type of quality replacement for BTH heading into the regular season and EJ will have to use even more gimmick defense without a 7 footer in the middle. Scary thought that we'd be fearing the loss of BTH for the season which is the case....maybe he'll be able to play through it after some rest & rehab.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 8, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Another note:
As one of the very few Pech supporters here, I have to say that he might be good enough to give us another dimension. His outside shot (or willingness to take it) forces ppl to guard him and helps out with the spacing.
Despite what I've read here from posters,I think Pech is a pretty good rebounder. He's Stewie from the waist up but he's got a pretty solid base and is able to mix it up down low. I'd start AB at C and split the rest of the time between Etan and Pech whil also giving Pech some minutes at PF to spell AJ. In fact, Pech might just be the first guy off the bench at PF now if BTH is down and AB is the C.
This team reminds me a litle bit of the Redskins. They've been through a lot. If we ever get our health, we should be a force.

Posted by: mark | October 8, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, i'm sure you already know this but you MUST eat at the Rendezvous. you have to. start with the sausage and cheese plate and then move onto the glorious ribs. bless the wizards and bless the rendezvous

Posted by: rfzonadc | October 8, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Kal, maybe not so ludicrous when you consider that AB is there to replace AJ at his natural position. It's really hard to replace a C who is a deterrent in the middle defensively and also has the ability to score a little bit. In my opinion, AB as a starting C is adequate while AB as a starting F is good with the potential to be very good.
Granted, losing AJ means we suffer a lot in the 3 point shooting area. Spacing (which CB relies a lot on) is also affected by AJ's absence. I'm sure you know that AJ is a sieve on defense. He needs BTH behind him. You saw what happened when BTH was not in the games a couple years ago.
Again, just my opinion.
Fortunately, this point may be moot with AJ's condition not deemed serious.

Posted by: mark | October 8, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone else watch last night's game and wonder when Juan was getting cut? Dermarr is a decent ball handler for his size. He should make the team.

Posted by: mark | October 8, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but Haywood is not Mutombo in his prime. Not even close. He did a nice job last season and was an effective role player. But one of of the reasons why, as you noted, the Wizards were awful defending the perimeter was because suggests that they "were concerned about our interior defense and didn't close out on perimeter shooters." Basically you're saying they left the perimeter open so everyone could help out on defending the interior. If Haywood were the one man deterrent you make him out to be, that wouldn't have been the case, would it? Of course his loss will be felt, but not nearly as much as Jamison's.

As for Blatche filling in for Jamison ... he's not there yet as a player. And even if he were, Jamison brings things to the court other than points and rebounds that are just as important to the team, if not more so.

Posted by: kalorama | October 8, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

EDIT:

Second sentence should read:

"But one of of the reasons why, as you noted, the Wizards were awful defending the perimeter was because they "were concerned about our interior defense and didn't close out on perimeter shooters."

Posted by: kalorama | October 8, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Jeeze, it is only ONE preseason game! ONE!

Oh ye of little faith!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

So the update is that there is no update.

Gee, thanks.

Posted by: TruthAboutIt.net | October 8, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark | October 8, 2008 1:56 PM

thats the dumbest thing i have heard since the cavs fans hijacked our blog last season

Posted by: prescrunk | October 8, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Here's a comment about Gilby on his mom. As tough as it is, you have to respect his decision.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 8, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

As for Pecherov:

His "willingness" to jack up 3-pointers only "forces people to guard him" if they think there's a reasonable chance of him making that shot. At 28%, there isn't. Opposing coaches will play those odds all game long, basically daring him to take that shot, if it means freeing up a defender to help keep Butler, Jamison, or Arenas in check.

Posted by: kalorama | October 8, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

prescrunk, I meant between AJ and BTH. I just think that while AJ is really valuable to our team, I'm more comfortable with AB playing PF than C. I'm definitely not trying to downplay his value but with AJ out, we're longer and better defensively but worse off offensively. With BTH out, we're worse defensively. period. We've seen Ab get into fould trouble. Does this mean Etan gets a lot of minutes at C? That aint good. With so many guys on our team able to score, we might be better off losing a offensive player...albeit a very good one.

I'm sure you're not the only one who disagrees with me. Trust me though...I hate the Cavs and the Cav fans who were here last year. We're all on board with that.

Posted by: mark | October 8, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

You know how it is with shooters. They need minutes to get into a rhythm. I'm guessing that the 28% will go up. I'd be willing to bet that teams don't leave him alone out there. We'll certainly find out.

Posted by: mark | October 8, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

pecherov and juan dixon should be cut. Pecherov is the worst player ever. Can't believe EG wasted a 1st round pick on him. EG is the absolute worst

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow Wizards fans are delusional especially Mark. I love them to but lets be realistic this team is going nowhere healthy or not

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I do know how it is with shooters. When they miss 72% of the shots they take, most of them wide open, teams tend to not put a lot of thought into leaving better shooters/scorers open to guard him.

"They need minutes to get into a rhythm."

HA! That's hilarious. Rhythm? Time? Pecherov jacks shots up so quickly he barely has time to leave fingerprints on the ball.

Posted by: kalorama | October 8, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

"I'd be willing to bet that teams don't leave him alone out there. "

You've already lost that bet. They left him open all the time last season. And until he proves he can hit at a reasonable clip, they'll keep on doing so.

Posted by: kalorama | October 8, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

until he goes down with another ankle sprain

Posted by: prescrunk | October 8, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,
American and Northwest have non-stops btween Dallas and Memphis

Posted by: lrmc623 | October 8, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Anon, I think 'delusional' is a little strong. Let's just say 'hopeful'.

Also, these are that boob Hollinger's words re: BTH...

His size is a real asset at the defensive end, as he can be a deterrent to big post players and is mobile enough to alter shots with his help defense. .....when he's playing hard he's the Wizards' best defensive player. "

Posted by: mark | October 8, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

these are that boob Ivan's words

Ivan Carter: I would say that yes, DeShawn is still the best defender. The keys elsewhere will be the development of Blatche and McGuire and the help Etan Thomas could provide as a backup big.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

prescrunk and Kal, I'm hoping Pech is able to show you guys a litle something.
He's been hurt for a while but I believe he's an above average rebounder and a decent shooter (not just 3 point shooter, mind you). I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see. I prefaced my comments earlier with "as one of the few Pech supporters here". I see that hasn't changed. LOL. Stewie's gonna surprise you both. just watch !

Posted by: mark | October 8, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

And what, exactly, is this of your belief that he's "not just a 3 pt shooter" when he rarely does anything but shoot 3s?

Posted by: kalorama | October 8, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

For the record, his 2 pt FG% is 41%, which is well short of "decent" for a long armed 7 footer.

Posted by: kalorama | October 8, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

After reading yesterday how pumped the Wizards were to play someone other than themselves, I was surprised they got thumped so badly by the Mavs. Imagine what could have happened if they weren't so up for the game.

Posted by: kensington | October 8, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

If Haywood is out, and assuming a healthy Jamison to return, I don't think we sniff the playoffs. He is not Patrick Ewing but was terribly consistent last year, shooting a high percentage from the field and the free throw line (insert Hopla praise) and more than adequate rebounding and block numbers. I would imagine we would drop an additional 8-10 games without his services.

I know it's not possible, marketing machine and such, but I think we should get over any pretense of being competitive in the East this year. Let the kids play... hell, start McGee and see how he responds. Sounds like he was not very intimidated in camp. Blatche is not a center and will simply get in foul trouble in the 1st quarter of every game if asked to start there.

Potential 2008 Wizards slogans:

Ready to Recuperate!

On the Mend Before We Contend!

We Brought Juan Back!

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | October 8, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

well i hope jamison is gonna be alright. This thing with haywood has got me sketched though.

Man i was pumped up for the pre-season to start sure enough 5-10 mins into the game Jamison is on the floor looking like he did something major. Bad news all around, the a** kicking the wiz got really doesn't even bother me.

I mean for real are we ever gonna see these guys out there 100%?? I recall when AJ first came here he had the longest active games played in the NBA (anyone recall how long that was?) he comes to WSH and gets the plauge like the rest lol.

Haywood beeing out for 6 months is gonna be a huge loss to us, granted we have Etan back but imo ET doesn't bring 1/2 of what BTH does. From what i saw last night of him it was a reminder to me as to why i never liked his game. (dont get me wrong im glad the dudes back out there playing, just wish he was suiting up for the Mill bucks)

But anyway get well soon Wiz these injures are driving us fans crazy!!

Posted by: Johansen | October 8, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Potential 2008 Wizards slogans:

Ready to Recuperate!

On the Mend Before We Contend!

We Brought Juan Back!

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | October 8, 2008 5:46 PM

LOL!!! good one that actually made me lol

Posted by: Johansen | October 8, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I find it very concerning to hear Haywood's comments about the team wasn't going to contend for a title anyway.

I also find it concerning to hear Ivan compare Haywood's injury to AD's where the diagnosis for surgery was "such a procedure may or may not solve the problem but that it would certainly put him out for four to six months".

May or may not solve the problem??

Without Haywood we are in trouble... our defense is going to be worse than bad. I think I'd go with Blatche as the starter, with Etan and McGee off the bench. Songaila can take over the main backup PF duties.

That is assuming Jamison is able to come back. His injury happened when Nowitzki juked him and he was unable to recover. Jamison has extremely poor lateral movement and slow reaction time defensively. Luckily there was no contact, and hopefully the injury is as minor as it is sounding.

Is tonight's game on TV? I can't find it.

Posted by: Darnell | October 8, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Potential 2008 Wizards slogans:

Ready to Recuperate!

On the Mend Before We Contend!

We Brought Juan Back!

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | October 8, 2008 5:46 PM

Hilarious!

Posted by: Darnell | October 8, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Potential 2008 Wizards slogans:

Ready to Recuperate!

On the Mend Before We Contend!

We Brought Juan Back!

Posted by: Dr. Strangelove | October 8, 2008 5:46 PM

Here's a couple more:

The 2008-2009 Washington Wizards:

The Excuses Have Already Begun!

1st Round or Bust!

Ready to be Owned by the Cavs again!

Posted by: Pizzards suck | October 9, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse