Jamison Returns, Dixon Debuts in Wizards Loss

The Wizards capped their two-game Euro tour with a 102-80 loss to the New Orleans Hornets tonight in Barcelona. They lost 96-80 to the Hornets on Tuesday night.

A few notables from tonight's game:

-The defense, especially with the first unit, needs serious work. The Hornets are very good with Chris Paul but all-star David West did not play in either game and Tyson Chandler did not play tonight and things came way to easily for the Byron Scott's team. Washington's rotations and communication were particularly off.

I sat right next to the Wiz bench and saw a lot of chatting among players about who was supposed to do what on a given play. Also, Coach Eddie Jordan and Randy Ayers were consistently prodding their players about defense during timeouts. At one point, after a blown assignment, Ayers put his head in his hand as if he'd just been hit with a migraine.

-The good news is that Antawn Jamison returned from that right knee injury and showed no signs of favoring. He said that he needs a few days to get his legs back but otherwise felt fine.

-Juan Dixon made his debut after missing four games with a right calf problem. He missed all four of his shot attempts but racked up five assists against one turnover and generally looked solid. Jordan said he liked what he saw out of DIxon following the game (that will be in tommorow's story.)

-Rookie JaVale McGee made a surprise start and played well. The kid once again mixed spectacular plays with basic mistakes en route to finishing with a solid line of 15 points on 6 of 9 shooting with two rebounds, two blocks and three turnovers in 21 minutes. He also picked up a major fan in Paul, who was shocked when the rookie rose up and swatted away one of his shots in the second half.

"He can fly," Paul said. "I mean, that's plain and simple. He can fly. I think it was early in the third quarter, I came and did an in and out move and he blocked it. He's easily one of the most athletic big guys in the NBA. You can put him in that Dwight Howard category."

Wow. If you remember, Brendan Haywood said a very similar thing about McGee during training camp.

Still, McGee also blew a few defensive assignments and remains a work in progress as one would expect. The thing I like is that he plays hard, plays with confidence and seems to truly care about getting better.

An example: Paul had the ball at the top of the key working against Dixon in the third quarter when the Wizards bench yelled "red" meaning that McGee was supposed to roll up from the post and shade Paul on Paul's left-hand side.

McGee did not get there and that was a big mistake because Paul turned the corner and rolled to the hoop for an easy layup. Jordan quickly called a timeout and corrected the rookie.

The thing I liked was that McGee walked back to the bench, tapped himself on the chest and said: "My bad."

I'm writing this from the lobby bar in the same hotel where everyone NBA-related is staying and just ran into former NBA forward Detlef Schrempf, who is working for the league as part of the European tour.

I asked Schrempf, who clocked 17 NBA seasons and played in three all star games, about the rookie and he was impressed.

"He's very raw but you can see the talent," Schrempt said. "He's a legit 7-footer and he's very long. You can't teach that. He also has good instincts. You can see that. He's still learning. The tools are certainly there though. It's going to be interesting to watch him come along."

A couple of the refs who worked tonight's game (the crew included Joe Crawford, Derrick Stafford and Bennie Adams) were also impressed with McGee. "They've got something there," one ref told me during a casual conversation a short while ago. "That's for sure."

-After the game I asked Jordan for an update on Nick Young, who did not make trip so he could stay back and rehab that right knee. Jordan said that Young will be re-evaluated Sunday when the team meets for practice but he was not sure whether Young would be ready. As soon as I know something more concrete, I'll let ya'll know.

By Ivan Carter |  October 17, 2008; 8:11 PM ET
Previous: Defense Lacking in Barcelona | Next: Nick Young Targets Friday Return

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I noticed that Ivan predicted 36 wins for the Wiz this season.

Where does everybody else stand?

Separately, if you thought the team would win only 36 games (and presumably miss the playoffs), would you give the vets the heavy minutes, or would you throw minutes at AB, NY, DM and JM to see if they can develop?

Finally, am I the only one who thinks the backcourt looks really weak? If you could get one position upgraded from a trade, what would it be?

Posted by: Izman | October 17, 2008 9:06 PM

dont make such a big deal on McGee, its just a pre-season folks+2 rebounds aint gonna get it done

Posted by: Anonymous | October 17, 2008 9:34 PM

I say 42-40 and a 7 seed in the East. Probably will see Boston or Detroit in round 1.
This team really misses Nick Young. He energizes the whole team with above the rim finishes... a lot of his buckets are worth more than 2 points because they can pick everybody up.

Right now there isn't anybody who can do that. BTW, Dee looked awful tonight. He is headed for DNP land when/if Gil ever gets back.

Posted by: el freako | October 17, 2008 9:36 PM

I believe Ivan actually predicted 36-42 wins. As far as where I stand... the way things are right now, I think 36 could be the ceiling. There are just too many "ifs" right now.

If I knew right now that we'd only win 36 games, I'd definitely give McGee time to develop. But we don't know that right now, so ya gotta go with your big $$ guys and see how it goes.

If I could get one position upgraded in a trade... perhaps Shooting Guard. We could really use a consistent, knock-down shooter.

And one comment about Ivan's comment on McGee - "Still, McGee also blew a few defensive assignments..." - Can't that be said about most any Wiz player?

Posted by: Sam | October 17, 2008 9:36 PM

Let him play(MCGEE) NOTE TO THE COACH! Let him have OJT at least 20-25 minutes a game and then increase his pt as the season goes since Brendan has to nurse his wrist why not? i think we have something here and by the way anonymous give the kid a chance.

Posted by: DARGREGMAG@AOL.COM | October 17, 2008 10:44 PM

Could be a long season, but I agree this may give us a chance to put McGee to the test sooner... start Etan but give McGee 20-25 a game... and stick with these two men at center as they are the only real centers we have until Brendan returns.

As far as the backcourt goes, we have two more preseason games to see what we do and do not have to work with until Gil's return.

Also, if I were Opech and AB, I would be sincerely concerned. EJ does not usually name names and point fingers in the media.

41 wins, last playoff berth, if we are fortunate.

Posted by: khrabb | October 17, 2008 11:58 PM

Jordan's dead on when he said McGee's not ready to be in the rotation yet. Doesn't mean he's not ready to play, but being in the rotation means the coach knows (or expects to know) what a guy's going to bring on a regular basis, and McGee's not even close yet. He'll get some run, but he'll be on a short leash, and there's nothing wrong with that for a young guy with a lot to learn.

Posted by: kalorama | October 18, 2008 12:47 AM

"-As I predicted earlier, Caron Butler came out very aggressive tonight and was sharp. He put up 15 points, seven boards, three steals, two assists (with four turnovers) in 29 solid minutes. He's ready."

Was there ever any doubt? This is a franchise player here.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 18, 2008 1:17 AM

re: Javale McGee

Let's not buy into the Ivan hype just yet.

Tonight, he played against Melvin Ely, a 30 year old journeyman center with career averages of 5.8 pts and 3.4 rebs.

I guess Ely overachieved tonight with 19 pts, 8 rebs, and 5 blocks while being guarded by McGee. I guess it was a good thing that Tyson Chandler and David West didn't play. Otherwise this "meaningless" preseason game would have had to been called at halftime with some sort of mercy rule or medical attention for Ayers.

On another note, is anyone sick of the AJ dipsy doo shots yet? Did they not teach fundamentals on how to shoot at UNC? Good wheels or bad, AJ will continue employing these ridiculous shots while commentators will continue to say "oh, he's got such an unorthodox repertoire of shots!"

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 18, 2008 1:25 AM

DC Man makes many good points but phrases them in ways that could insight riots among true fans. Yes McGee will get owned by vets. I remember Rick Mahorn way past his best when Shaq was a rookie owning the most dominant center of this generation. Ely's veteran wiles outshine raw athletic talent. I think Chandler and West would not have faired as well as Ely because they would be bringing similar skills to the table that Mcgee possesses and matching up would be a bit more like for like. I would guess the post would have had fewer numbers on both ends if Charlotte's starters would have played.

Every team needs a creative play maker and UNC seems to breed creativity on the court as well as strong leadership. AJ's shot is not ridiculous. They drop, consistently. Jordan's shot dropped consistently, Sheed, Carter, Stack are all unorthodox players who have owned the league at various points.

Posted by: yankeevicar | October 18, 2008 9:54 AM

i dunno if yall saw the game, or r just commenting based on this blog post and/or the box score....but mcgee definitely looks like he's gonna be quite a player in 3 years...he definitely shows glimpses of stardom...i think he showed more glimpses than nick young did this same time of year last year....i'm not gonna lie, i was disappointed with the pick of mcgee...however after watching these games...he definitely looks like he's gonna be a player...i'd even put money that mcgee will realize his potential much sooner than blatche...ivan definitely did not overhype mcgee...even the commentators on tv were quite impressed

Posted by: jasonma1 | October 18, 2008 10:19 AM

i also wanted to add that dee brown is trash...i dont kno what people r thinking...even dixon looks better than him running the point...he has speed with out a ball maybe...but he's not an efficient dribbler...and there were so many times he was missing open men and not making the necessary pass...i honestly think i could run the point better

Posted by: jasonma1 | October 18, 2008 10:24 AM

Posted by: khrabb | October 17, 2008 11:58 PM

Perhaps there was more to the JaVale McGee start than we know. (rewarding the rook for good work, and perhaps sending a message to Blatche?)

Thomas only played 3 minutes - but I'll bet that was the plan; similar to Daniels taking off a day last week. (he called it a "veteran day off").

Everyone talks about how "raw" McGee is, but I see improvement each game. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't force himself into Eddie's rotation - especially if Blatche doesn't get his act together this year, or if Thomas gets hurt.

Posted by: Rook | October 18, 2008 10:33 AM

Ivan, thanks again for really good inside blogging. You make this new medium work for all of us.

Posted by: joe c | October 18, 2008 10:36 AM

I'm all for letting McGee work his way through the first month without fear of his minutes being yanked around. Eddie should sub him for Etan during set portions of the first half so the players know what is expected of them early on.

Second half playing time will be dictated by who's more effective obviously. This will keep Etan's minutes under control and allow McGee to grow nightly. If the Wizards are at or above .500 by December 1st then I think it's safe to say there's light at the end of this tunnel...

Posted by: el freako | October 18, 2008 11:21 AM

I doubt Chandler would have 'owned' McGee. Chandler has less offensive skills than McGee RIGHT NOW. BTH's injury will certainly speed up the learning process for JM. We all tend to forget that Etan is relatively fragile, too. He went through a spell where he couldn't stay healthy. Ther's no reason to believe that we won't wind up haveing to start AB, Pech or even McGee at C at some point this year.
I agree that 2 rebounds aint cutting it. But when you look at the team rebounds, CB and AJ had 7 each. Perhaps there were a lot of long rebounds? Hard to say but strength is definitely something you can't get from game experience. It'll be a year or so before he's a force because of the strength issue but I think the kid can be a factor on some nights even now. Not many payers can block a 7 footer with long arms' shot when he shoots it behind his head like McGee does. The question isn't whether the defender can hinder him because he probably can't. The question is whether he has the skill to make it or not.

Posted by: mark | October 18, 2008 12:00 PM

Watching the game I believe the reason McGee's rebound numbers are low is because he goes after every shot taken in the paint and will even close out on perimeter shots like no other, and he had to challenge those shots because we couldn't stop any hornet from penetrating. It's a learning process for him and the kid has more potential than any player in this years draft (imo).
we got very lucky that he was available when we drafted and once again EG shows he knows what he's doing.

Posted by: zxhoya | October 18, 2008 12:52 PM

Posted by: zxhoya | October 18, 2008 12:52 PM

Zxhoya cound not agree with you more. Whenever you draft a draft pick in the first round you want to see some "flashs" that you might have something. All this stuff about him only having 2 rebounds is dumb at this point. Every 7 footer is not Dwight Howard.

Remember Dwight was drafted number 1. We got McGee at the 18th spot! Can somebody say steal? So what it was Mario Ely he was playing against last night, it was still a NBA veteran. I still think McGee can give you 10 to 15 minutes a game and not hurt you. Lastly, I am not to hot about the idea of having Etan and Songalia "man" most of those minutes at the "5".

Ernie G you "da man"!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bullets Fever #1 | October 18, 2008 1:19 PM

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 18, 2008 1:25 AM

Posted by: Krem | October 18, 2008 2:51 PM

After watching yesterdays game I'm not too optimistic.
No D.
Too many jumpers.
No Movement without the ball.( Darius moved once for an easy bucket.)

I think it's gonna be a long season unless Javale makes big strides and GA comes back early and strong.

Preseason play or not they are not playing with heart.

After being together for the last couple of years they shudda looked much better.

I was hoping for a couple steps forward but it loks like a big jump back.

Posted by: VB Fan | October 18, 2008 3:04 PM

I have never seen such a mediocre team play with the mentality that they can turn it on whenever they want and win 60 games.

McGee goes for every single pump fake. If the opposing coach on the sideline lifts his hand to scratch his nose, McGee jumps.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 18, 2008 4:15 PM

CB & AJ will score 20-25 a game.(They'll be tuff pts. when teams realize that no one else can score and slough off onto them.)

Where are the other 50-60 pts gonna come from????

We need to score at least 105 or more to win cause no one plays any "D".

Posted by: VB Fan | October 18, 2008 4:20 PM

I've been a Wizards fan my whole life, but I tell you. I'm really losing patience with this team's trade blunders and bad luck.

I've been living in NC for two years and the Wiz games aren't televised here. I'll sit there watching Yahoo!'s GamePlay thing that shows running stats with written play by play as it happens.

After watching them give a franchise salary to a guy who's had three knee operations in two years and hasn't played in nearly two seasons, and then to see the bad luck rearing its ugly head again in the pre-seasons, I just can't take it anymore.

I'm going to start checking out the Bobcats more this year (at least they're televised). Maybe Larry Brown can turn them around. They've got some youth.

This bad luck is just about to make my head explode!!! Abe, sell the damned team and move on!!!

Posted by: NC | October 18, 2008 4:44 PM

McGee has looked good against Melvin Ely and Marc Gasol. Don't get too excited.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 18, 2008 4:54 PM

McGee has looked good against Melvin Ely and Marc Gasol. Don't get too excited.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 18, 2008 4:54 PM

For where he is right now in his development ... that's EXACTLY who we want him to look good against.... Backup Centers.

It's not like anyone here said he should start; only that he's looked good and shown potential.

Posted by: Anonymous, but realistic | October 18, 2008 5:19 PM

Arenas is out. Jamison basically played his first full game yesterday. Thomas is coming back after missing an entire year. Dixon played for the first time yesterday. Extended run was given to McGee, a rookie who might not even be in the rotation, and Dixon and Johnson, who might not even make the team.

The preseason has little to do with what actually happens when the games matter and the real players are put on the floor to decide the outcome.

That being said, I remain skeptical of Blatche ever getting it, despite his training camp speech about being a mature veteran. All of his flaws were well on display yesterday, but the most telling sign was him getting outworked, out hustled, and out muscled on a 1-on-1 break, by 6-foot tall Chris Paul. That's ludicrous. In that situation he has to power through Paul and put him in the basket along with the ball. Instead he ends up crumpled on the floor under the basket while the midget PG flexes over him. Absolutely ridiculous.

Posted by: kalorama | October 18, 2008 6:06 PM

"That struck me as important too, khrabb. EJ DOES call out individual players for praise, but rarely calls out individuals for negative comments.

Posted by: Rook | October 18, 2008 10:33 AM "

Unless you are BTH who proceeded to prove EJ flat wrong.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 18, 2008 10:58 PM

"Who cares how he shoots as long as he's healthy and is still playing at a high level?

Posted by: Krem | October 18, 2008 2:51 PM "

Yeah, who cares how he shoots as long as he's making them and Les BouleS aren't getting blown the f# out of the gym.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 18, 2008 11:01 PM

Quote: "I remain skeptical of Blatche ever getting it"

Blatche played 29 games in his first year at a whopping 6 minutes a game. In his second year, he played only 12 minutes a game over 56 games.

I do agree that he's not a good fit with EJ. Given that EJ is staying, I would trade him for a guard to play opposite to Arenas. Sort of like the old Frazier/Monroe combo.

Posted by: Izman | October 19, 2008 7:39 AM

I agree with Izman, except for the trade part. Blatche is 21 or 22. As long as he is improving every year, he is doing fine. He might not be maturing as fast as you want him to, but that's probably true of everyone. What to watch for is whether he hits a plateau or regresses. Until that time, patience.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 19, 2008 9:17 AM

"All of his (Blatche)flaws were well on display yesterday, but the most telling sign was him getting outworked, out hustled, and out muscled on a 1-on-1 break, by 6-foot tall Chris Paul. That's ludicrous." -Kalorama

As mentioned by others Blatche has a freaky blend of callow youth and untapped potential, the question is attitude, his and perhaps his mentors.

Ivan's story about McGee's reaction to getting beat by Paul, "Paul turned the corner and rolled to the hoop for an easy layup. Jordan quickly called a timeout and corrected the rookie. The thing I liked was that McGee walked back to the bench, tapped himself on the chest and said: "My bad,'" suggests his attitude and subsequently his learning curve may be favorable to working with Eddie Jordan, who hasn't had stellar success with his younger players.

Posted by: myshkin | October 19, 2008 11:29 AM

Posted by: help | October 19, 2008 11:41 AM

Posted by: help | October 19, 2008 11:43 AM

"Keep in mind people Blatche would only be a senior in college this year. He has only played 7 yrs of organized ball.

Posted by: help | October 19, 2008 11:43 AM "

Stop making excuses.

Lebron and Kobe didn't go to college either, and neither did KG or Amare.

If you got it, then it shows early, and consistently too.

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 19, 2008 12:14 PM

"Exhibition games are little more than glorified scrimmages -- even when played in front of the kinds of excellent crowds the Wizards and Hornets entertained in Berlin and Barcelona -- so it can be misleading to read too much into final scores. But the way in which the Wizards lost raised questions. " - Ivan Carter

Posted by: DC Man88 | October 19, 2008 12:16 PM

Both games were just terrible. McGee looks very promising, and this season will be interesting to watch if only to follow his progression. You have to be intrigued by a future McGee/Blatche frontcourt.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 19, 2008 1:17 PM

I didn't mind the subpar Wiz performance. The only things disgusting about the game (replay) were the ESPN commentators and the camera angles. Two people in the studio, were not even at the game yapped all night without reference to anything going on in the game and the broadcasts switched too often to long shots of the arena where you could not see any details, even when action was going on! The moron who kept mispronouncing "BAY-ZHING" announcing the next game in China. Consult a dictionary moron, it's BAY-JING. Go ahead and insult a whole nation will you ? And the lady dishwasher - "New Jershey" for goodness sakes.

Posted by: Anonymouse | October 19, 2008 1:58 PM

I agree McGee looks very good. Blatche however looked out of control. I will chalk that up to preseason, and the fact it was a sloppy game, and they were getting killed so Dray was probably trying to do too much offensively. Defensively and on the boards he just looks weak, which is not good for someone we are expecting to play heavy minutes at center and PF.

Dee Brown looks awful. All the hype about him seems rediculous. He pounds the ball and does not have much handle or passing skills, or shooting or scoring. He is fast, but otherwise I don't see much game in his game.

Caron looked good!

McGuire's offense doesn't look any better than it did last season.

Pecherov looks terrible. He is so weak he makes Blatche look like Alonzo Mourning. At this point I don't think he'll ever gain muscle. He is not as good a passer as I thought. He hits the occasional 3 but doesn't do much else. He is too weak to play the 4 or 5, and he does not have the quickness or skill to play the 3.

Daniels looks slower, and so does Songaila.

Etan looks good, and it was great to see him back out there! Great to see Dixon too.

But overall we looked terrible and way out of sync considering how long these guys have been playing together, and all the reports about how great training camp was.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Nick Young back out there! That's how desperate I am!

Posted by: Darnell | October 19, 2008 2:03 PM

"I have doubts about Blatche as well, but getting outworked and outhustled by Chris Paul is not a novel experience for 99% of NBA players. Trying to stop Chris Paul is like trying to bottle up liquid mercury."

He wasn't trying to stop Paul. He let Paul, who's half his size, stop him on a fast break where Blatche had every physical and positional advantage. There's no excuse for that for a guy his size in that situation.

"Despite the paucity of development, he averaged the equivalent of 15 points and 10 boards over 40 minutes last year at 21 years of age. NBA stats show the big guys improve their per minute productivity over a number of years of PLAYING."

(A) Per stats are meaningless speculation. (B) Once again you miss the point by a mile (shock!). I wasn't questioning the development of Blatche's skill. Jordan has done a very good job developing Blatche into an actual NBA quality player, a long way from where he was as a rookie. My issue is with Blatche's mental attitude and toughness, things that cannot be changed by all the coaching in the world until the player actually decides he wants to change. And, despite his early lip service, Blatche has shown no signs of that. The play against Paul was just a microcosm of the same kinds of mental mistakes that have become Blatche's trademark.

Posted by: kalorama | October 19, 2008 2:20 PM

"NBA stats show the big guys improve their per minute productivity over a number of years of PLAYING."

Which proves nothing at all, really. Pretty much every player puts up bigger numbers with more playing time. But that, in and of itself, says nothing about how much the player actually improves.

Player improvement is a qualitative judgment, and stats are purely a quanitative measure.

Posted by: kalorama | October 19, 2008 3:01 PM

If we think of this as a 13 person team at the moment, "the end of the bench may be 9 deep." If the Wiz were disbanded tomorrow, and a dispersal draft held, who other than AJ, CB3, and AD would be sure to be picked up? Deshawn and JVM, maybe?

Posted by: lrmc623 | October 19, 2008 9:52 PM

Kallie, I know it's only pre-season but you seem to be off of your game by omitting that:

1) no team would want Blatche;
2) no guards are available in a trade; and
3) the Wiz could never orchestra a trade because of the salary cap.

I did enjoy your point that stats are meaningless. That's a good way to defend EJ's career W-L record, along with a host of other excuses.

I actually don't have a problem with EJ's veteran-only mentality. However, like the old-time Redskins though, if that's the strategy then the Wiz should trade the young guys each year for decent vets to back up the 3 all-stars already on the roster.

In the current mode, the young guys aren't helping the Wiz and the Wiz aren't helping the young guys.

BTW, AJ played 30 minutes in his first game after an injury - in a preseason game no less. EJ doesn't learn. The Wiz will have a bad record when Gilbert returns. If left to EJ, Gil will play 40 minutes a game when he returns.

Posted by: Izman | October 20, 2008 12:15 AM

And, as usual, you attempt to paper over your inability to respond intelligently to the points I actually made by responding to points I didn't actually make, pretending like I did make them, and hoping desperately that no one notices.

Posted by: kalorama | October 20, 2008 1:16 AM

"Jordan has done a very good job developing Blatche into an actual NBA quality player, a long way from where he was as a rookie."

Hey, wait a minute. Are we talking about the same Jordan that is notorious in playing the veterans heavy minutes and leaving the youngsters on the bench. I believe that any coach not named Eddie Jordan could have done a better job in developing Blatche.

Posted by: Dave | October 20, 2008 9:51 AM