Arenas Collects History

Count Gilbert Arenas among the many who have spent the last two days chasing down copies of newspapers commemorating Barack Obama's historic accomplishment Tuesday night.

Arenas and the Wizards were in Milwaukee Tuesday and did not get back to Washington until late Wednesday night. By then, of course, copies of Wednesday's Washington Post were hard to come by.

Arenas was able to obtain a special commemorative edition of The Post Thursday. He said he's also ordered copies of Wednesday's Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times and plans on displaying them in his home.

"It was a real special night and something you want to be able to look back on forever," said Arenas, who commented last month that he did not plan to vote. "I wish I could've been in DC to see the that celebration. The shots of the people in the streets and at the White House were amazing. We witnessed history."

By Ivan Carter |  November 6, 2008; 3:35 PM ET
Previous: Thomas Practices, Jordan Still Unhappy | Next: The Other Side: New York Knicks

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Posted by: ivyleague | November 6, 2008 3:39 PM

"I think it is quite funny that a "self proclaimed Republican" who does not vote or participate in the voting process would want momentos of an occasion that he had nothing to do with. This guy is a real enigma. There is just no figuring him out. He did not vote or so he said and now he wants a part of history. He should really feel bad either way because McCain could have used his vote or he could have been a "part" of the events that made Tuesday night possible for Obama.

Posted by: ivyleague | November 6, 2008 3:39 PM "

Maybe he just really wanted the papers in case he was going to get a puppy for his kids like Obama is for his.

If Gilby wanted my copy of the Obama Post, he could have found it in the recycling bin in front of my house.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 4:12 PM

Posted by: dargregmag | November 6, 2008 4:17 PM

"NOTE TO IVYLEAGUE: Not an enigma just a hypocrite I thought when he made those idiotic statements a few weeks ago just how he would justify his words when Sen.Obama was elected,a word to the wise don't open your mouth that way you'll keep your foot out of it, focus on something you know basketball!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 6, 2008 4:17 PM "

I'm glad someone else made these postings, including yours, and it won't be attributed to me.

Fred Smoot was saying a few weeks ago that he wanted to vote for Obama in his heart, but his wallet, like most in the Skins lockerroom, was telling him to do something else.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 4:25 PM

Anyone can be bought I guess

Posted by: BurgwithaU | November 6, 2008 4:52 PM

I think Arenas has the cash to get any paper he wishes. I feel so bad for him.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2008 5:00 PM

"I think Arenas has the cash to get any paper he wishes. I feel so bad for him.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2008 5:00 PM "

Unless that paper is a legit diploma.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 5:42 PM

Maybe if Arenas spent more time studying tapes of true point guards, learning how they actually made their teams better, I might be out looking for papers that say Wizards win the NBA Championship! But since everyone but Abe and Arenas knows he does not care about being a winner, the only thing that matters to him are his stats and the size of his contract, he will never win an NBA Championship. This is why I would never spend a dime to watch these guys play when I can go and see some real basketball at the UM or Georgetown.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 6, 2008 8:48 PM

Posted by: dargregmag | November 6, 2008 9:41 PM

"Note to DCMAN88: Are you aware of you're civil rights history? many people made sacrifices including laying down their lives(Medgar Evers,Viola LaRuzzo,Jimmie Lee Jackson,Goodman,Chaney,Scwener )so all of us Gilbert included could have the right to vote and make it possible for a man like Barack Obama to become President of this country,thats the difference between people like a Curt Flood who made it possible for Gilbert Arenas and Fred Smoot to reap millions in their chosen professions instead of casting a ballot at an historic moment in this nations history and Smoot should be ashamed for making that staement in public given the racial history of the state where he's from Mississippi.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 6, 2008 9:41 PM "

Why are you directing your comments to me?

It's funny how last season, Jason Campbell made a bold statement that he didn't want to talk about the hype behind being a black QB b/c it doesn't apply to him.

At least he and Smoot are honest about their personal standpoint, whether people agree with them or not.

Not as bad/ignorant as what Josh Howard said though.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 11:41 PM

daegregmag...

Perhaps you need to listen to Obama's acceptance speech again.

I don't get it? What is fred smoot supposed to be ashamed of? The boat trip in Minn?

Just kidding, but seriously. You need to lay off. The suggestion that Fred Smoot should be compelled by his race to vote for Obama is at least as offensive as Gilbert Arenas not voting. Curt Flood, didn't make it possible for Fred Smoot to vote at the expense of his freedom to weigh the candidates against all of their merits.

I personally am proud of America for electing Obama, but I'm also proud of all the voters who turned out to cast their vote and represent the best that democracy offers.

I think that the benefit of the doubt should go in favor of the people who chose not to be cynics and to participate. To color their choice as shameful flies in the face of what has been accomplished and paints with too broad a stroke the complexity of where we as a country need to go. And what the best way to get there is. So you don't need to agree with their choices, but if you can't acknowledge the value of their perspective then you are a who lot closer to GWB than I think you would like to imagine.

To me, again personally. I'm glad this election cycle was tough and that nothing was conceded prematurely. It speaks to the strength of his position and the un-qualified approval for Obama's presidency without caveat. No one can say: "Well, he never could have been president with out GWB being in office." His candidacy was proven through tough campaigning (a battle against Clinton the presumed Dem ticket) and a candidate in McCain that was not simply a patsy for the Republican's in a down year. So no shame for voters who voted for McCain or Mickey Mouse or MC hammer it doesn't matter to me as long as they voted.

The sooner we can stop labeling and demonizing people who come from other perspectives the sooner this country can make some real progress.

My guess is Gilbert was being glib in responding to a question he didn't want to answer. Not that I will waste much time worrying about it.

Posted by: gconrads | November 6, 2008 11:58 PM

Great comment gconrads. I was in no way putting Gilbert or anyone else down for not voting for Barack. People can vote for whomever they choose and THAT is the beauty of democracy. I just felt that after Gilber opened his mouth about how he would not vote for a Democrat because they would raise his taxes that his statements were a little hypocritcal because as I said before, if he didn't vote, he wasn't even a part of the process. I too was glad to see so many people so passionate about their particular candidate and how large the voter turnout was. It showed America at it's greatest and what a sight to see. Especially for all of the other countries watching who were wishing they could participate.

Posted by: ivyleague | November 7, 2008 7:32 AM

I've got passes to the Island in the City happy hour in the Dewars Club tonight, is it worth it to show up early? Discounted drinks? Free food? Giveaways? Or just a regular happy hour like every other bar in the area?

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | November 7, 2008 7:42 AM

Speaking of Gilby collecting history, he should also get some old articles from the Wash. Post back when he was a scoring machine, because those days could be long, long gone.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2008 8:49 AM

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 7, 2008 10:53 AM

"I really don't get why Arenas is taking heat for admitting he wasn't going to vote. Just as I have never understood the "rock the vote" campaign, except that it was an obvious attempt to help get Democrats elected by pushing for more of the liberal-leaning youth vote. But other than trying to influence elections by getting more of your side's voters out there, I can't for the life of me understand why we would push those who don't follow the issues to vote. There is a reason we don't allow those under the age of 18 to vote. There is a reason we don't allow the mentally incompetent to vote. Nor non citizens. There are minimum standards we apply, standards of trustworthiness. Not everyone can vote, and not everyone should vote. We shouldn't encourage those who don't know anything about the issues to vote.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 7, 2008 10:53 AM "

Yup.

Call into 93WKYS and 95WPGC and tell them that...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 7, 2008 11:05 AM

Let ask Ivan to find out from Gil if he put in a absentee ballot since he was in Wisconsin Tuesday!!

Posted by: brooksan | November 7, 2008 11:34 AM

I want to join the chorus in calling Arenas a hypocrite. I was ashamed of him for declaring his intention not to vote. It's not who he votes for that matters, but because so many people were abused, persecuted and murdered for him to have the right, as an African American, he owes it to them to vote. He is where he is because of what they did. Then running around looking for a newspaper to commemorate something he hade no part in moreso speaks to his ignorance and immaturity. Further, to complain about taxes on a $14mm salary (shades of Latrell!) is an insult to the working stiffs who pay to see him play and who buy his shoes and jerseys. I used to admire Gil for his talent and his quirkiness. However, this spillage over into selfishness, disrespect and lack of self-awareness ends my time as one of his fans. I'm sorry about that, becuase I really like his shoe. But I'll never spend another dime in support of him. He has the right number. He's just a zero.

Posted by: gregoryajames | November 7, 2008 2:10 PM

He does come off as someone who just knows and only thinks about basketball.. where would he be in life if he wasn't in the NBA!!! what other goals in life does he have???

Posted by: brooksan | November 7, 2008 2:41 PM

Arenas should be doing nothing but rehabbing that knee of his, not looking for newspapers.

I'm sure with all of that money he counts sitting by that pool of his he can find someone to do it for him.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 7, 2008 5:04 PM

gil did vote!

i read about it on this blog here.....

www.dcurbansports.blogspot.com