Blockbuster Deals?

My blockbuster deal got me a ring. The rest of these guys got free rentals on all old movies. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

It's getting harder and harder to refer to NBA trades as blockbuster deals since there seems to be a new one every time Blockbuster puts new DVD rentals on the shelf. Think about it. In the two years since Allen Iverson was involved in a "blockbuster" trade from Philadelphia to Denver, there has been a major trade an average of every other month involving a big-name all-star or former NBA most valuable player.

When Iverson was traded from Denver to Detroit on Monday, it was the fourth time since December 2006 that a former MVP was dealt. You've had Iverson, Kevin Garnett (from Minnesota to Boston), Shaquille O'Neal (from Miami to Phoenix) and Iverson again. You have also seen Ray Allen shipped to Boston, Rashard Lewis dispatched to Orlando, Pau Gasol traded to the Lakers, Jason Kidd traded to Dallas, Ben Wallace swapped to Cleveland, Jermaine O'Neal traded to Toronto and Ron Artest shipped to Houston.

You can also include the big names that were needed to make some of these deals happen, like Shawn Marion, Chauncey Billups and, uh, Keith Van Horn.

That's a lot of big-name player movement, with Iverson bringing it full circle. Every trade cannot be considered a blockbuster, but the phrase has been thrown around every time somebody gets dealt (Unfortunately, I even used it in my story on the Iverson deal today).

But the fact remains that Garnett and Allen were the only players to be moved and lead their team to a championship -- and it didn't hurt that they already had a star on the roster in Paul Pierce.

Enough with my Andy Rooney-like ramblings. My question for you is:

By Michael Lee |  November 4, 2008; 2:07 PM ET
Previous: Thomas Doesn't Practice | Next: The Other Side: Milwaukee Bucks

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Are you guys on a poll quota?

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | November 4, 2008 2:12 PM

Lakers were not a top strength last year, so should be better.

Posted by: lrmc623 | November 4, 2008 2:59 PM

I said Ron Artest. I think with McGrady. Ming, Scola, Battier and Artest you've got the makings of a great front court with differing sets of offensive and defensive fronts to give. Add players like Francis, Head, ALston, etc, this is a team to watch. Artest brings energy and a strong presence under the basket. He has Ming's back. We've seen it already this year....

Posted by: Berndaddy | November 4, 2008 3:15 PM

I chose Allen Iverson. Here is why.

1) I believe an Eastern Conference team will again win the title this year. I will spare you my detailed analysis of this point.

2) I do not believe the Celtics will repeat. Again, will spare you the analysis.

3) I am a big Iverson fan. I believe this is the best shot at a championship he'll get, and think there's some chance he and the Pistons will rise to the occasion.

4) I think the Pistons have better shots than Toronto, Cleveland, Philadelphia (Elton Brand - okay, not blockbuster trade but YOU raise the question about the meaning of 'blockbuster'. I argue this was a 'blockbuster' move.)

About 'blockbuster', part of the reason I think the NBA has improved as a league over the past couple of years is because of the decline of the marquee player, and the, well, incline of the marquee team i.e. big threes and such. However, as the team characterized by marquee player era has declined, so too has the meaning of the term 'blockbuster trade'.

Wizards will always continue to give Detroit and Boston problems. We've still got a shot...

Posted by: threeleggedninja | November 4, 2008 4:46 PM

"After you've voted, drop in a comment to explain your choice. I'd love to see what you think."

AI.

He's going to a team that will win 50 games and has the ability to take one over. Definately a great move by the Pistons and the C's should be worried.

The Wiz should take notice, the last couple of years tells me nothing is impossible with trades in the NBA. I'm tired of hearing excuses that they can't make one.

Posted by: rmcazz | November 4, 2008 5:59 PM

Fellas come on lets show some love for King James he is the best player in the league last year took the Celts to 7, and the year before got into the finals. Lebron is a man among boys B Wallace has the best chance on or off the floor.

Posted by: wdevers | November 4, 2008 10:26 PM

I think it's got to be Gasol. Boston has looked great thus far, but you can't sleep on the Cavs, Pistons, Heat, Raptors, or (fingers crossed) Wizards in the Eastern Conference. With Josh Bynum in the line up in LA, I like their chances of getting back to the Finals.

Posted by: thelastdondc | November 5, 2008 3:06 PM

Oops, Andrew Bynum. My bad.

Posted by: thelastdondc | November 5, 2008 3:07 PM