Jordan Not Happy After OT Loss

Coach Eddie Jordan took longer than usual to emerge from the locker room following Wednesday night's 112-104 OT loss to Milwaukee but when he did, he did not waste time getting to his point.

"That was not NBA basketball out there, it's as simple as that," Jordan said after watching his team blow a 14-point fourth quarter lead. "There were no NBA plays being made out there. We addressed them tonight in the locker room, so I'm going to put a careful eye on our personnel and what we're doing out there. I think the trend is telling me something. I'm trying to be loyal to NBA vets and the continuity theme but I'm growing very impatient with it."

-Then again, the game would've been a blowout had the WIzards made free throws. They finished 34 of 51 from the stripe and wasted a huge disparity in attempts. The Bucks were 17 of 26. Even worse, all of the free throw misses came in regulation. 20 turnovers didn't help either.

-The Wizards led 89-76 following a layup by Juan Dixon with 7:31 to play in regulation but shortly thereafter, Jordan subbed out Dixon (10 points on four of seven shooting) and Nick Young (14 points) for Stevenson and Daniels. From that point on, the lead slowly slipped away. As many of you pointed out in the comments section, Darius Songaila and then Andray Blatche were utilized at center during the stretch when the lead slipped away.

-Every starter had a negative plus/minus with Jamison and Butler each at negative 20,
Stevenson at -22, Daniels at -15 and Andray Blatche at -4. Meantime, Young was a +13, Dixon a +12 and Dominic McGuire a +13. Rookie C JaVale McGee also did some good things with nine points, five rebounds and one really spectacular block on Richard Jefferson. He was a -3.

"He made his presence felt here and there," Jordan said. "We want him to get some experience. There were some missed assignments. So, it's going to come to a point where we're probably going to make a decision to just play him to get him some experience and take some lumps in order to get the young guys some playing time."

-Through three games, Wiz opponents are shooting 50 percent and averaing 108 points.

-The Wiz have made 11 of 52 three-point attempts.

By Ivan Carter |  November 6, 2008; 8:36 AM ET
Previous: Wizards at Bucks | Next: Thomas Practices, Jordan Still Unhappy

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

"loyal TO A FAULT with NBA vets", Eddie. I'm glad you're seeing the light. Play the best players and not the ones with the longer years of service. Kinda like choosing Obama over McCain.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 8:55 AM

So, the question is, why did Eddie stay with the impotent starters for so long while the Bucks were making their 4th quarter run? While that was happening, I was screaming at the TV, "Put Nick Young in! Get Songaila out! Put Dixon in! Put McGee in!"

Daniels is finished. Kaput. Dead meat. No other way to say it. He's a dribbling corpse out there. Stevenson is in la-la land. He brings nothing.

Young is looking great. He must start.

McGee is the best center on the roster right now. Period. Not even close. He has to get PT and play through his mistakes. He's an intimidating presence every moment he's in. The team is completely different when he's on the court.

Songaila is a disaster at C, but Eddie keeps using him. Hey, he's a vet, after all. I hope Eddie's comments about vets from the story mean we're going to see changes coming, and pronto.

Dee Brown has done zilch. Ernie has to find an adequate PG somewhere. I don't know what the options are with the guaranteed contracts, but the situation there is untenable. Can someone here address the contract issue?

Posted by: keithward64 | November 6, 2008 8:55 AM

Andray Blatche is absolutely terrible.

Posted by: Wizerds | November 6, 2008 8:55 AM

Shooting coach, where you at? Time to spend some extra time with JM and McGuire. McGuire, there's no excuse for the poor shooting. It's not like you were busy last year recovering from games. Shoulda been working on the free throws like you worked on the J.

In regard to the +/-, DS has been the weak link on this team by any measure (Lenovo, Hollinger) for a while now. It's time. I appreciate the defensive effort but you have to bring more to the table.

AD you're great in the community and good at protecting the ball but your time should be up, too. Unfortunately, we don't have options at the PG position.

AB, as everyone else here has stated repeatedly, when you get a rebound, stand still and wait for someone to take it out of your hands. If no one comes, just keep it and take the violation for not getting it over the halfcourt line. Otherwise you'll wind up throwing it away while trying to dribble upcourt. Either way it's a turnover but if you hold on to it, at least we can blame a guard for not taking it out of your hands.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 9:04 AM

Agreed with everything above, but this game and the Detroit game are won if Jamison plays like he's getting paid. He made some nice plays that we're used to but he made too many mistakes and lost his man on D too many times.

Young, Mcghee, Dixon, can supplant the others as the primary support players but it won't matter unless Jamison takes it up a level.

Posted by: cballer | November 6, 2008 9:06 AM

The more I watch AB, the more I start to think that he's not suited to play C. He doesn't have the range for SF, either. He's a PF only and that's not good on a team with AJ.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 9:07 AM

The bottom line is poor coaching lost that game - 4th quarter Songalia did nothing but foul and turn the ball over. Why was he on the floor? Daniels cannot even get the ball up the court. Why was he on the floor in the 4th quarter?
Now coaches do not shoot foul shots but they prepare teams and Eddie has to take responsibility - Songalia should never play another minute of center; Blatch and McGee need to be there. I thought Andre played credibly - he did have a turnover but so did Caron on a sloppy play. Caron is the heart of the team right now and in crunch time he did not deliver even though he had a "good" game.
Think this team needs Gil? You better believe it.

Posted by: h20law2000 | November 6, 2008 9:14 AM

THANK YOU EDDIE JORDAN!!!!!!

I am not an EJ basher like some but I must admit that Last night I was really frustrated with EJ's coaching. (sub rotation)

His loyalty to his vets will be his downfall if he continues to blindly stick with them when they are not performing at a standard that is competitive vs. NBA compition.

It is really telling that the reserves are outplaying the starters by a large margin yet he continued with his vets even when they were giving up the lead.

* Nick Young makes this team better when he plays. PLAY HIM. He only played 25 minutes including overtime, he's earned much more.

* JaVale McGee is raw but he's by far the best we have and he can be something special if given a chance. PLAY HIM. He only got 13 minutes including Overtime.

* Juan Dixon & Dom McGuire have really played solid and need to be more a part of the rotation. Juan has been a pleasant surprise to me, he's playing well and under controll. Dom is the energy we need off the bench with solid D and rebounding.

Now the Bad

* A. Jamison has stuggled on offense but that's not my concern, it's the defense that's got me, he's worse than usual and if he can't improve ( I don't see how he can) it's time to consider the bench for him although I do not trust AB to get heavy minutes.

* D. Stevenson is just a spot up shooter and not a very good one at that. N. Young has to start as he plays well with C. Butler and gives the Defense of the opponent someone else to concentrate on.

Friday's game against the Knicks will be telling. EDDIE JORDAN, put up or shut up. (no disrespect intended)

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 9:17 AM

I agree with keithward64. I was about to say the same thing. Ernie doesn't loose many games because of his coaching. He lost this one. It is time for McGee and Young to start and play major minutes. I hope Eddie has learned his lessons about veterans who are ineffective. It is time for Ernie to move Blatche.

Posted by: JoeC2 | November 6, 2008 9:21 AM

Think this team needs Gil? You better believe it.

Posted by: h20law2000 | November 6, 2008 9:14 AM

Problem is Andre B. had 4 turnovers in just 22 minutes. He was the starting center for us last night but wanted to be a guard, dribbling too much and shooting long jumpers. We don't need him for that, either play like your size and ability dictate or don't play him.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 9:26 AM

"- Jordan could have been referring to a starting backcourt of Antonio Daniels and DeShawn Stevenson that combined to shoot 3 of 13 and score nine points with seven assists and four turnovers. Bucks starting PG Luke Ridnour had 20 points and 11 assists by himself. Luke Ridnour."

LMFAO!!!!

EJ is not a few pages too slow..he must be several chapters too slow.

Most people on this blog have been saying all along that this BS lineup and personnel will not work, especially me. That applies to EG too.

Spending 171 mil on what this summer? How did they improve their weak areas? They didn't!

AB is not a center. Don't put him in there to play center.

Les BouleS won't be able to right this ship unless there's a blockbuster trade....and that's unlikely when you have an older, undersized 4 who doesn't play D and a gimpy 1 guard with 3 knee surgeries, both having huge new contracts.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 9:27 AM

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 9:29 AM

I love the Wizards, but I am totally fine with them blowing games. It's time to gracefully tank this season. A decent shot in the lottery will help, though this isn't going to be the most glamorous draft.

Ernie needs to get creative with the roster - maybe shipping a few of the many 8th man level players for someone that can help next season. I don't know if there's much trade value in this team though.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 6, 2008 9:30 AM

The funny thing is the reserves have been outplaying the starters since back in training camp. I wonder why EJ thought the starters would fare better against better opposition when they couldn't even beat our reserves! Please make changes immediately. Especially starting with out shooting guard that doesn't shoot and out PG that contributes absolutely nothing offensively.

In these first 3 games, the trend I have seen is that the starters come in and just plain stink it up. If I can see that from my living room, why can't EJ see it from the sidelines?

Posted by: tundey | November 6, 2008 9:32 AM

DC_man88, I agree with your post but believe with a healthy Gil, and the that is the big ? mark, a healthy Gil and the young talent along with Caron we can do some damage in the east.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 9:39 AM

- Eddie Jordan

Now this is what we have been screaming for. Let's hope Eddie keeps his word, because if you start that slow non-scoring first 5 against the "NEW" NY Knicks, we are going to get ran right out of the building..........

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 6, 2008 9:40 AM

Posted by: tundey | November 6, 2008 9:32 AM

I'm sure EJ sees it it's just his loyalty to his starters that's preventing this team from being all that it can be.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 9:42 AM

New Starting 5 in my opinion:

Juanie-D (until gil comes back)
Nick Y
Butler
Jamison
McGee

This is the most efficient lineup we have right now

We have to wait. Plans have changed and this maybe a work in progress until the all-star break. Injuries have flourished and we have to wait and see.

I'm enjoying watching Young, McGuire, Dixon, and Mcgee play and that is the only thing keeping me sane, Their Promise!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | November 6, 2008 9:43 AM

New Starting 5 in my opinion:

Juanie-D (until gil comes back)
Nick Y
Butler
Jamison
McGee

This is the most efficient lineup we have right now

Posted by: BurgwithaU | November 6, 2008 9:43 AM

Agree 100% BurgwithaU.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 9:45 AM

WELL EDDIE IF U HAD SEEN IT QUICKER DURING A GAME, WE WOULDNT BE LOSING THIS GAME, SO ITS UR FAULT. IT SAD THAT EDDIE CHOSE LOYALTY OVER WINNING..

Posted by: forbid | November 6, 2008 9:46 AM

He made his presence felt here and there," Jordan said. "We want him to get some experience. There were some missed assignments. So, it's going to come to a POINT where we're probably going to make a decision where we're probably going to make a decision to just play him to get him some experience and take some lumps in order to get the young guys some playing time."

- Eddie Jordan

Eddie - By the way, YOU HAVE ALREADY REACHED THAT POINT NOW...!!!!! It is time to make that decision now and not later....!!!!!

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 6, 2008 9:47 AM

"Gil's value to this team is being magnified by the absence of BTH and the poor play of our number 2 player, AJ.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 9:29 AM "

Gilby's value?

They went O-5 last season with Gilby in the lineup!!!! Where were you?!?!

Gilby is not going to solve, maybe mask, the team's problems of no defense, no inside scoring, no defense in the paint, lack of cohesion from the players on the court, etc., and that's assuming Gilby returns immediately to his form of scoring 30 pts/game.

Again, mask, not solve.

When that mask gets removed, come playoff time, you'll realize that your date is one ugly, ugly b#otch!!!!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 9:50 AM

Yeah it's a bad sign when the backups consistently outplay the starters...even in practice.

88, I think even our gimp would be better than AD right now and I'm talking at even 50%. Dee Brown doesn't seem to bring much to the table.

Folks, if we're all sitting here saying that a rookie (JM), an unproven 2nd year player (McGuire) and a journeyman SG (Juan) should get more pt, we're in trouble. My prediction was conditional based on GA coming back but it was for 35-40 games. I can't see changing that at this rate. We don't seem to have an identity and we're not good atany one thing. All good teams do something well but we seem to be average so far.
When we were winning, we were very good at the turnover differential and ft shooting. We were good offensively. Now, we seem to be average at everything. Our record may reflect that if things don't change...and soon.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 9:52 AM

"While I like the pick of JaVale McGee, I was shocked that the Wizards didn't draft a young PG or sign a FA for that position. Even when Arenas comes back we'll still need a true PG.

Posted by: tundey | November 6, 2008 9:32 AM

Yes, and that be a guy by the name of Mario Chalmers, who had 9 steals last night to go with 6 pts and 6 assists.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 9:54 AM

LMFAO!!!!

EJ is not a few pages too slow..he must be several chapters too slow.

AB is not a center. Don't put him in there to play center.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 9:27 AM

WE PRETTY MUCH KILL OUR FUTURE WITH THE CONTRACTS THAT WE SIGNED DURING THE SUMMER WITH THE TWO GUYS WHO ARENT WORTH THAT KIND OF MONEY

Posted by: forbid | November 6, 2008 9:54 AM

That said, I'm with BF1 and zxhoya and burgwithau. Time for a new lineup.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 9:54 AM

Amen!!!! Eddie Amen!!!!!!
I love the stability that Daniels used to bring and he is a greats team guy but we need to just make him like a player coach because he is done! Daniels is done!

Posted by: antoniologan | November 6, 2008 9:55 AM

When Eddie subbed Juan and Nick back in for the last few possessions of the 4th I wondered if even he recognized he'd made a mistake in subbing them out for AD and DS.

I just don't get the loyalty Eddie has to the veterans. AD and DSong have clearly aged. AD couldn't even contain Luke Ridnour, for chrissakes. He's a defensive liability. DSong came in, threw the ball away, mishandled a defensive rebound out-of-bounds, and had two or three stupid ticky-tacky fouls. Yet Eddie stayed with him while yanking McGee after one ill-advised gamble on the passing lane.

I don't get it. Look at how Al Horford developed in Atlanta last year, or Rondo in Boston. Here last night you had BTH and Etan out, and a soft center in Bogut. It was the perfect opportunity to let McGee play and grow, and the young man was feasting on it. But Eddie yanks him after a mistake while letting DSong stay in there through a series of mistakes.

Re the smallball, I did like that unit of McGee, McGuire, Caron, Nick, and Juan. That's a juiced little unit there.

Posted by: Prazak | November 6, 2008 9:57 AM

Since the east has become stronger this year, the Wiz may not be able to make up for the losses they are putting together now. A change is needed now! I hope Eddie sees the light! How about this: I agee with BirgwithaU!

New Starting 5 in my opinion:

Juanie-D (until gil comes back)
Nick Y
Butler
Jamison
McGee

This is the most efficient lineup we have right now

Posted by: BurgwithaU | November 6, 2008 9:43 AM

Posted by: JoeC2 | November 6, 2008 9:58 AM

I know EJ is trying to give the veterans the benefit of the doubt but he needs to make some changes and fast, the new lineup should be juan,nick, caron,antwan,and etan.2nd team desean,mcgee,andray,daniels,and mcguire.Last night was painfull to watch Songalia was overmatched as he has been all season EG should bring in Ewing jr. for a look i don't care about guaranteed contracts, this team will be out of playoff contetion if they don't do something fast.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 6, 2008 9:58 AM

Like others have said, the only hope for us on D is to start JM.
BTW, did we call the inevitable Etan injury or what?

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 9:59 AM

these comments are actually on the mark today. Usually ppl like to fly off the handle and call for everyone's head. Or maybe today that is just how I feel as well so these comments make sense to me.

But

Dee Brown - garbage
Daniels - garbage
Stevenson - role player
Songaila - role player
Blatche - clueless. OUT OF CONTROL. Turnovers and terrible shots are his m.o.

so thats five guys who get a big chunk playing time. WHY?

Young is a beast already. look at his minutes played and points and shooting %.

Mcgee is just nasty. 9 points and 5 rebounds in 13 minutes.. had at least 1 block too. How many times did he get to the line as well?

McGuire is a guy who understands his role and fulfills it. he can play out there with your better offensive players and have a solid impact.

Dixon has settled in as a true pro. He hits shots, makes steals. He is an excellent contributor as well.

We'll see how soft Jordan is here. His rotations have always been strange to me but it is understandable giving the vets the benefit of the doubt. But they were losing in training camp to the second team, and they are losing to Ramon Sessions and Luke Ridnour and Mbah Moute and all other sorts of scrubs in the regular season now. Time to change

Posted by: unkonchus | November 6, 2008 9:59 AM

Look as I have said repeatedly, your "head coach" is the problem, combined with the "owner".
Of course now most can see the inadequacies of this franchise.
Defense strats with the committment of the head coach to it. He determines the level of energy and proficiency on the court. He selects the players available and the combinations.
EJ is woefully inadequate and has been. The owner mollifies his "sons" and the parade of mediocrity continues.
Is it now beyond comprehension that EJ's starting 5 is the most inept in history. With all teams fielding young talented energetic and skilled players, The Wiz look like an "old timers reunion game".
Like I have said, ET, Dsong, DS, AD are just inadequate and non competitive.
Also it is the coach whose calls time out, and signals his key players, that one on one offense is not working, to move the ball for open shots, and not toss up jumpers, and dipsy doodle cork screw prayers.
Look that is not the Princeton Offense we run...it is 4 corners of weaving, and then panic...Let EJ and his "Offense" hit the proverbial road.
His 15 minutes are way up!
Get a young coach with imagination and possbilities, that is not coaching for his job, and is willing to grow with AB, NY, JD, JM,AP, McGuire, and we would be willing to lose with hope on the horizon.
Good bye Song, Etan, BH, AD ,DS...
BRING UP D LEAGUERS...
Oh and BH is not the answer, he is ET extended...neither are legitimate 5's in this league...bye bye...

Posted by: maxman2162 | November 6, 2008 10:15 AM

Sure, Wiz would have won the game if they shot better FTs. But a coach should make decision on what have happened, and not what might have happened. At 8 minutes remaining Wiz was up 87-74 despite poor FT shootings. He took McGee out, and then took Young and Dixon out within a minute (when score was 89-76).

Poor FT shooting simply cannot explain the collapse of the last 8 minutes!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 6, 2008 10:26 AM

The main difference between this season and last season:

1) Missing a staring center who averaged 10/7 a game,
2) Stevenson's 3 pt %, dropped from 40%, 38% of last two seasons to 29%!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 6, 2008 10:31 AM

New Starting 5 in my opinion:

Juanie-D (until gil comes back)
Nick Y
Butler
Jamison
McGee

This is the most efficient lineup we have right now

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 9:45 AM

2 shooting guards, 2 small forwards and a rookie center. Yikes! I agree that they're the ones who at least look like they belong on the court though.

Posted by: Kev29 | November 6, 2008 10:36 AM

1) giving vets the benefit of doubt doesn't make sense, unless you have an integrated strategy with 8-9 solid vets on the team.

In other words, keeping a bunch of young players who don't get schooled nor the necessary minutes to improve means that EJ will play the Big 3 for 40+ minutes a game. Last night, CB hit 43.

EG and EJ have always been out of sync.

2) That wasn't NBA coaching out there last night. EJ needs to look in the mirror.

Posted by: Izman | November 6, 2008 10:37 AM

Hey, here's one guy who was a free agent this past offseason....he's an athletic PF who plays defense, and his team is doing well so far!

BTW, Les BouleS are the only winless team in the east now, and one of two winless teams with the other one being the Clips.

Both Clips of the east and west winless.

I wonder if Abe is going to bother to have balloons on Friday in the ceiling in case there's a win against the .500 knicks with their new coach.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 10:38 AM

Last night's 4th quarter implosion was utterly embarrassing considering the Buck were playing without Michael Redd. EJ's loyalty to AD and DSS is misplaced. AD has lost at least a couple of steps and is a total liability on defense. Dixon and NY compliment each other very well and give us quickness in the backcourt. When they went out in the 4th quarter, Sessions and Ridinour went wild until AD was yanked late in the game and NY went back in.

AB simply can't play the 5 and makes too many bonehead TO's. Given the current roster, play J. McGee 15-20 minutes a night as the starter and see how quickly he develops. He at least gives us a presence on defense unlike playing smallball with Songaila. I'd rather lose while developing part of our future.

EJ's coaching in the 4th quarter was terrible as he had Songaila guarding Bogut which meant AJ had to cheat over on each possession. McGee was playing well and didn't seem tired. Why was he pulled when we were up 9 points? Very disappointed in CB3's disappearing act in the 4th quarter and OT. He committed two offensive fouls and a key TO when he was forcing things. Same goes to DSS who kept shooting 3's when he was ice cold.

Lineup for next game:

Butler
Jamison
McGee
Dixon
NY

Let DSS and AD earn their playing time off the bench and let the young guys get us off to a good start. We were down 30-12 until EJ brought in the 2nd unit with Caron to get us back in the game. Songaila is a 4 and that's where he needs to play with the 2nd unit. If Jamison is in the game, move him to the 3, but keep a true center in the game like McGee or Etan.

Too many more performances like last night and I think Eddie is going to be walking he plank regardless of the injuries to BTH and Agent Zero. This team has enough talent to beat teams like NJ and Milwaukee.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 6, 2008 10:42 AM

Gilby's value?

They went O-5 last season with Gilby in the lineup!!!! Where were you?!?!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 9:50 AM

I believe Gil was not healthy at anytime last season. Gil is not a great defender but he offers a scoring threat everytime down the floor and that helps everyone in the offense.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 10:45 AM

"DC_Man88, I know you are the #1 Gil hater and the #1 Mario Chalmers fan but they made the right decision in picking JaVale over him.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 6, 2008 10:45 AM "

Only time will tell.

JaTravel's value now has come to a head because of the injury to BTH, lack of development/poor draft of OPech, lack of development/integration of AB, and ET's lack of production as a 5 in the critical areas.

Nobody would be talking about the criticality of JaTravel's contributions if not for BTH's recent injury.

Mario Chalmers, on the other hand, would have solidified Les BouleS need for a true 1 and allowed Gilby to move to the 2.

If Gilby was not healthy, then Gilby should not have played. Given that, as I said earlier, Gilby's return would potentially mask Les BouleS problems, not solve them.

Championship teams put their opponents, especially scrub, away early and decisively.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 10:54 AM

If we lose against NY on Friday, look at this team going 0-6 since we have no shot against Orlando or Utah. I hate to see any coach given such a short leash, but Eddie has known since preseason that the vets weren't cutting it and his 2nd team was better. Sit down the vets except Caron and AJ at this point.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 6, 2008 10:55 AM

I know I don't normally post here, but I am a big Wiz fan, and I read the blog often. Here is the bottom line ladies and gents:

Blame the loss on EJ all you want, he is NOT the problem. He did what he was supposed to do, put his trusted veterans in during crunch time to close out a game. He has known these guys a long time, and he knows there game. the problem is AD and Deshawn, did you see AD's face when he got pulled late?? Those 2 guys feel that since they are vets, they have the right to play no matter what. time for a wake up call. They clearly did not produce. EJ now knows that, he witnessed it last night. based on his comments, changes are going to be made. it's only 3 games folks, plenty of time get this thing right. Deshawn and AD are garbage, but EJ basicacally gave them 1 last chance last night, and they failed.
Etan Thomas is a total joke, and AB is a 4, not a 5. EJ was only being loyal to his veteran's and now that is going to change, things will get better.

Also, where was Caron in OT?? For a guy who is supposed to be the "go to guy" he was absent. Would kobe, LBJ, Melo, etc, be nowhere to be found in crunch time, I think not.

Posted by: cj658 | November 6, 2008 11:08 AM

Dear Ivan,

I am curious what it will take for you to call Eddie out on what myself and all of these fans see happening with the sub-patterns? I know you don't want to be rude, but how about some constructively critical journalism here?

When Eddie comes out to the post-game press conference noticeably more ticked off than usual and immediately passes the blame to his vets, why not ask him why he handed the game back to Darius, Antonio, and Deshawn when McGee, NY, and Dixon were clearly playing better? Why not point out that we were up 13 when Eddie decided to put Songalia in at the 8:24 mark for McGee, and play him out of position at center again, down the stretch of the 4th, again??

Sincerely,
A Concerned Fan

Posted by: tmilt27@aol.com | November 6, 2008 11:15 AM

EJ may or may not be the problem, but it's time for a fresh start.

EJ is the second longest tenured coach right now to Popovich, and what does he have to show for it?

One second round appearance in the playoffs a long, long time ago, and 3 embarrassing one and dones.

EG bringing in a defensive coach to help EJ.

Doesn't matter if EJ is a good coach or not. It's all about results and production.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 11:16 AM

"As the only connection between the fans and the team here, I implore you to be a little more hard-hitting in your coverage of this team, and it's coaches.

Posted by: tmilt27@aol.com | November 6, 2008 11:15 AM "

Yes, if JaLa was covering Les BouleS, he'd probably be banned from VC by now for anything except official media events.

Bring back Richard Justice!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 11:18 AM

Please name me a weaker starting five in the NBA today than the Wizards. Yes, CB and AJ are aboe ave. players but they are undersize in their position. A starting PG who is slow and old, a SG who can't shoot and a center (Etan) who is nothing but just a back-up 5.

Posted by: Dave381 | November 6, 2008 11:20 AM

"Not many/any succesful championship teams out there need their highest paid player to bail them out every close game with last second heroics."

I actually think the opposite, 88. I think Most of the great teams keep the games close and then rely on their stars to win it in the clutch. Now, as you say, that doesn't mean Gil should be hitting last second shots to force Ot or put us up every game. But I think it does mean that our star(s) should be taking most of the shots during the last few minutes of a close game.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 11:24 AM

The real problem is GRUNFELD. Come on folks, he gives a 32 year old, undersized PF, a 4 year deal!! You've got to be kidding me, then he signs Gimpert to a record contract. This is a guy who has had 3 surgeries in 18 months on the same knee. Even Gil does not know if he will ever be the same, how would he know. That signing said a lot about the goals of this franchise: make $, endorsements, and get media attention. Just look at Gil, trust me, he cares more about $ and marketing than winning.

FYI-- 3 on 3: NY, Juan, Javale vs. AD, DS, Song. Who do you think wins?? The question answers itself, EJ has known this since training camp. He had to be loyal to the vets, but now he has reason to yank them. LAST NIGHT WAS EXACTLY WHAT EJ NEDDED, A REASON!!!! LAST NIGHT WAS GOOD FOR THIS TEAM, BELIEVE ME.

Posted by: cj658 | November 6, 2008 11:26 AM

This brings me to a point that I made last year for which I was flamed.
CB is a good player but he's not the great player that a lot of us want him to be. He's good when there's someone else taking the heat off. IMO, he's a very good second banana as is AJ. The problem is...we need our first banana.
Until we get a healthy Gil back (big IF, I know) we're going to be mediocre. Any bad day by either of our top guns and it's almost impossible to recover.
One option is to create a 3rd second banana. NY is the answer right now. A 3 headed scoring combo of good scorers might make a difference.
It's early. Let's see how EJ reacts. It's a great sign that he's as mad as we are.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 11:30 AM

"DCMAN88, I agree with that assertation, it is about results. To be fare, EJ has fought through monumental injuries, and kept the team competitive and fun to watch, at least until the playoffs start.

Posted by: cj658 | November 6, 2008 11:26 AM
"

Yes, I agree that EG is the problem too, but the issue with EJ right now is that the team looks dysfunctional and unprepared to play, nevermind the confusing substitution patterns.

Bucks started the game looking like they were going to steamroll Les BouleS, and Les BouleS had a long layoff to strategize.

As I said before, I'll give EJ 1/4 season (~20 games) and then go from there, but it's not looking good and it's looking like "more of the same."

Also, I don't want to hear anymore BS from EG about "holding steady."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 11:37 AM

man you guys are tough.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 11:45 AM

"more of the same"

Good one, 88. Wiz need change.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 11:46 AM

Rarely do I agree with DC_MAN 88, but Eddie has been the coach for 5+ seasons. Only Greg Popovich (4 championships) has been with his team longer. Eddie has never demonstrated the skills or patience needed to develop young players except Agent Zero who has constantly disrespected him. I think that a number of the players simply have tuned Eddie out and a new voice is needed. Maybe O'Koren should be given a shot for the rest of the year and then a new search can be done next summer.

Given that this team is not even going to make the playoffs (with or without Agent Zero's return), it's time to start building for the future. A younger coach who has the ability to develop young talent is needed to rebuild this team. A year from now, AD, Etan, and D-Song will likely be moved for their expiring contracts.

A young coach will give NY, D-Mac, and McGee the chance to make mistakes and grow. It may be a painful process this year and the team will likely end up with a lottery pick, but will be better off in the long-run. This is a transition year and time to start building for the future.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 6, 2008 11:46 AM

Posted by: Dave381 | November 6, 2008 11:57 AM

Mark, I couldn't agree more--

AJ and CB3 are wonderful 2nd men, but they need a superstar to flourish. That's not to say they're not great players themselves, but they alone (or as a duo) just doesn't work.

I'd like to see how they do with NY and JD in the starting line-up. Maybe the two added scoring threats will be enough to make both CB3 and AJ more effective.

Posted by: lindaloulubbock | November 6, 2008 11:57 AM

Based on Jordan's comments, he is very open to changing his line-up & rotation, so that bodes well for the Irish brothers (McGuire & McGee) and Young. On the other hand, Blatche is probably going to lose a lot of PT now, because he's not just a young guy missing assignments, misreading the D, etc. Blatche is playing out-of-control, so he should be in Jordan's doghouse until he shows, perhaps in practice, that he will play smarter...

I think the starting five will probably stay the same, but Thomas, Daniels, & Stevenson will get about 18-25 mins/game each, with the Irish Brothers, Young, Dixon, & Songalia picking up extra minutes...

Posted by: -CN- | November 6, 2008 11:57 AM

If EJ is released (which I don't think will happen), I think it would be Ayers to take the reigns, not O'Koren.

Posted by: lindaloulubbock | November 6, 2008 11:59 AM

Through three games, Wiz opponents are shooting 50 percent and averaing 108 points. This team was made up with players who do not play D. They just come down the floor and shoot and do not care if they win or not because they still get paid. The team is in a trap because the only way they are going to get better is with good draft picks. Miami let Shaq go and got Beasley too bad no one will take Gil off of the Wiz's team. This team will be a below average team for the next five years.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 6, 2008 12:06 PM

Wizards need a coach smart enough to figure out (years ago) that Stevenson and Daniels STINKS!!!! Trade them please!

Posted by: iamdawalrus | November 6, 2008 12:11 PM

"Going back to the pre-draft blogs, I was all for Chalmers. However, he was passed up by 30+ other teams, as he slipped to the 2nd round, so a lot of teams are kicking themselves for passing on a true PG. At that point (late June), it seemed that Arenas was coming back healthy and that Daniels would be a serviceable back-up. So to borrow a page from someone's argument, Chalmers' value to this team is now apparent due to Arenas' injury and Daniels' struggles, just as McGee's contributions came in light of Haywood's injuries, Thomas' comeback, et al.

Posted by: -CN- | November 6, 2008 11:57 AM "

Not quite.

According to Gilby, "everybody" knew he wasn't going to be back until December at the earliest anyway.

I guess that "everybody" means Gilby was the only one on that email distribution list.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 12:34 PM

"Mark, I couldn't agree more--

Posted by: lindaloulubbock | November 6, 2008 11:57 AM "

By "superstar," I assume you meant Gilby.

I guess you weren't following Les BouleS 2 seasons ago when Gilby and AJ couldn't carry the team when Caron was out with his hand injury.

They ended up losing 2/3 of their final 30 games during a season when they were #1 at the all star break.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 12:37 PM

We have to suffer through this year before the roster changes - but the role players will shakeup dramatically next year. The Wiz will enter next season with $28 Million of expiring contracts. Precisely the time when there will be a huge market for expiring deals as teams scramble to make space for Labron, Bosh, and Wade. I think the bet EG made is that we'll have a core vet team of GA, CB, AJ, DS, AB plus they'll resign NY and or JM. Gil & AJ put us far over the cap, so riding out our $28 Mil in 2010 expiring contracts to get 2010 summer cap space will do us no good. That leaves the Wiz lots of trade bait to get good role players in 2009 (including a real center) with 2-3 years remaining in return for our really bad role players.

Until next year we should just find a peculiar entertainment in watching AD and ET play increasingly like senior citizens.

Posted by: cballer | November 6, 2008 12:37 PM

what about sloan? how long has he been in utah?

Posted by: rice208 | November 6, 2008 12:37 PM

"DCMan - I agree with you also on that. I believe most of us here are tired of the same issue (small ball, bad rotation) over and over. As I said before, great GM never been shy of making changes (especially on coaches) even if they have minimum success. I guess we have to wait for the reaction (or distraction) of EJ fan here.

Posted by: Dave381 | November 6, 2008 11:57 AM "

EG needs to take a page out of Joe Dumars's book, and Detroit's been a team that's been WAY MORE SUCCESSFUL than Les BouleS, and even HE MADE CHANGES!!!!!

"More of the same" is just not en vogue anymore, especially in DC.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 12:40 PM

It seemed to me Eddie looked at the clock with 7 min left in the 4th and said, "Oh, it's time to put the starters back in." with a hope they could close it out with the lead which had been established by the subs. He wanted the starters to taste a victory to get their confidence going.

Unfortunately it all went away from them and now they have another loss hung on their heads. Tough situation for EJ, I appreciate his loyalty to the veterans but they have struggled since the start of camp. I would imagine Eddie will stick with the vets for a few more games before making changes.

Also, just want to acknowledge the sound play of Juan Dixon over the last couple of games, especially since I beat him up on here when he was re-signed. He has been fairly controlled in the offense and no more of a defensive liability than the starting guards.

Painful to watch Mason rip it for the Spurs, as Kal or someone else noted we could easily have signed him instead of DS but there is that veteran loyalty again. Until the ownership and management of this team start treating it like a business instead of a country club we are going to have issues.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 6, 2008 12:44 PM

If you notice, the Skins evolved from Joe "more of the same" Gibbs and have had some success and have changed the tone/attitude of the team.

The Caps brought in Boudreau and had better success.

Then you have Les BouleS with a long tenured "more of the same" coach.

Hey, as long as Les BouleS stay in the black with the lux tax welfare, that's all that matters to Abe I guess....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 12:51 PM

Remember this loss. This will be the game that set everything in motion this year, that fueled our fire to become a contender.

Just wait and see. This game will be the best thing that ever happened to this team this year.

I smell the beginning of a long win streak, starting tomorrow night.

You heard it here first.

Posted by: Barno1 | November 6, 2008 12:52 PM

NOTE TO CJ658; You are 100% correct in your comments i said as much last night on the blog after the meltdown,if EJ's not carefull these guys(the vets) are going to get him fired loyalty is one thing but EJ can't be loyal to a fault and AD is lucky to still be in the league,don't get me wrong he's a great character guy but his best day's are behind him.Andray Blatche? what can you say he seems to have all the tools but no discipline and i'm sure the coaching staff has talked to him ad nauseum about his stupid turnovers,DeSean is not a consistent outside shooter and he seems to have forgotten how to play defense and now is turnover prone. I'm worried about AJ, the jump shot is not falling and his defense is getting worse.Caron is the only starter with consistency at both ends of the floor.It may not be time to panic but we need to make changes ASAP!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 6, 2008 12:54 PM

I am really impressed with nick youngs play...i have always been a big fan...but been so frustrated with all the tools he has but his failure to utilize them....my biggest issue with nick, and it still is...is that he has such great athleticism, but doesnt take it to the rack as much as he should...that will open things up for his jumper as well..that being said...this year he has much better awarness...he is making passes when he doesnt have good opportunities...also his post up/fadeaway game is a strong point...and he seems to be taking advantage of that especially when someone smaller is on him...i would like to see the offense put him in post up positions when a smaller player is checking him...he is better at posting up than jamison...who always puts up some soft shot...nick young has also played better d, he even had a block last night...but if he ever starts attacking more, to go along with his midrange game...he will for sure be a top player in this league

Posted by: jasonma1 | November 6, 2008 1:04 PM

>>Seems like everyone on this blog agrees we need to start NY, Dixon, and McGee (and I think Eddie knows it as well). I'd rather see us lose while our young guys develop than seeing the ancient AD and over the hill D-Song log minutes. DSS may be okay if he can play the point next to NY, but otherwise he should be a guy off the bench.

Actually, I don't agree. If you start the five you suggest you're left with very little offensive punch in the second unit. I think that's why Eddie substitutes Young/McGuire for Butler/Stevenson -- to provide a little defensive and offensive balance to both units. That's actually a pretty good rotation, in my view.

His problem is riding AD and DS too many minutes.

I would start Juan for AD simply because AD can't stay in front of his man anymore on defense, and doesn't seem to be able to get to the rim like he used to on offense. He's a liability out there. I would put McGee in at center as much as possible, although there will be times that McGee simply can't man up against big opposing 5s. But the Wiz may have a longer version of Amare Stoudamire out there. Time to tap into some of that disruptive athleticism.

Posted by: Prazak | November 6, 2008 1:06 PM

Glad to see the 'Zards are playin solid D this season.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 6, 2008 1:09 PM

Anyone else see Roger Mason put in 26 points last night for the Spurs?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | November 6, 2008 1:11 PM

look juan played well, but his defense was not that good...i dont know how many fouls were called on him as people were driving on him because he couldnt stay in front of his man...dont forget he was playing luke ridnour, not exactly athletic...I like what juan brings offensively, but AD is def. better defensively...honestly i would just give up on having a point guard...i would start deshawn, nick young, c butler, jamison, and mcgee

Posted by: jasonma1 | November 6, 2008 1:12 PM

I agree with most everyone on this Blog that the lost last night rest on the shoulders of EJ. I for one was hoping that he would bench AD and DS at the start of the second half. However, when he pulled JM and then JD and NY out in the fourth quarter I knew the Wiz were done. If EJ doesn't adjust his line ups by Friday then he should be fired!!!!!!!

Also, I nocticed some folks are bashing AB. EJ has screwed up AB's game. He's playing not to make a mistake instead of just playing ball. He's so concerned about doing something wrong that he can't focus on doing what he does best. EJ has been screwing with him for 3 years. AB needs regular playing time to develop fully which he has not received in three years under EJ.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | November 6, 2008 1:19 PM

Barno, I hope you're right. In any case what this game should do is get him to play his younger guys. At the end of the year IF (again, big IF) we are looking to make a playoff run, their experience should come in handy.
To be fair, this is the same exact thing I said last year but it didn't pan out.

Posted by: original_mark | November 6, 2008 1:41 PM

Try Blatche at the 3 and move Caron to the 2. Couldn't hurt. Nick could still give scoring off the bench.

You might also start Juan over AD (though Juan is clearly not the answer at the 1), if for no other reason than AD and DSong could use their nice little pick and roll game on the second unit.

I would also love to see Pech get some run at the backup 5. Just see what his shooting and rebounding can add. He was a first round pick, for chrissakes.

I agree that this game will be the one that brings change. Eddie will figure which lineups work best against which opponents. Change is coming....

Posted by: Good2bOK | November 6, 2008 1:49 PM

I'm glad that was mentioned, Mason put in 26 in a Spurs win. Greg Pop obviously trusts him and it is clear he is a good fit down there. Would have been a great keep for the Wiz but...........Grunfeld was too busy paying Jamison and Gimpert 151 MILLION DOLLARS. For 2 OVERATED PLAYERS, again Grunfeld is the problem.

Keep up the good work Ernie.

Posted by: cj658 | November 6, 2008 1:54 PM

Why do I think EJ is going to be his same stubborn self and start the same "weak 5" he has been starting against the NY Knicks on Friday?

33dgriffin has a good point about AB. The boy now looks scared out there. Again as I mentioned before, with the combination of EJ berating AB all of the time and AB watching McGee take his title of "Mr. X-Factor", AB has now curled up into a shell.

Now I can not explain why AB throws the ball away so much and why he settles on long jumpers and wants to dribble after he rebounds the ball. All three of these things get him in trouble, and AB needs to correct them.

That is why I said AB needs to start with the 2nd unit to get his confidence back and then maybe he can begin to work himself back into EJ's good graces.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 6, 2008 1:54 PM

"I would put McGee in at center as much as possible, although there will be times that McGee simply can't man up against big opposing 5s."

What current healthy player would be able to man up against big opposing 5's? Certainly not 6'9 Etan Thomas or Darius Songailia. McGee is the best 5 we have in every aspect right now, IMO.

And NY absolutely must start from now on. And play most of the game. His minutes and DeShawn's minutes need to be flip-flopped. This team has pretty much proven it won't be a defensive force, so at least if we hone NY's skills, we could potentially be a 4-threat offensive juggernaut when (if) Gil gets healthy.

Posted by: psps23 | November 6, 2008 1:56 PM

I still think EJ is worth keeping, it is not his fault that the guys that GRUNFELD signed are not producing. AD and Deshawn are SUPPOSED to be the guys who he can rely on. It's not EJ's fault Grunfeld put the franchise's future in the hands of a player who has sat on the bench running his mouth and promising to be back "better than ever", for the past 18 months. HAHAHA

Way to go Ernie.

Posted by: cj658 | November 6, 2008 1:56 PM

Keep up the good work Ernie.

Posted by: cj658 | November 6, 2008 1:54 PM

Sorry cj658 I am going to have to disagree with all of you trying to blame Ernie for all of this. First of all Ernie knew how good Mason was, but for NY to get playing time Mason had to be let go. I liken this scenero to Norm Nixon and Magic Johnson. The Lakers knew how good Norm was, however they knew he would be taking away valuable minutes from the young developing Magic Johnson. Norm had to go, as Mason had to go.

EG would have preferred that it was Stevenson he had to make the choice on and not Mason. However Stevenson was signed to a new contract last year and he could not sign Mason too and expect to have all three of them get minutes. Mason was the odd man out.

Did EG make a mistake on resigning Stevenson last year? Maybe, but he got Stevenson relatively cheap. There was not enough money left for Mason, along with playing time.

As for the Gil and AJ signing. I do not disagree with their resigning either. It is easy to jump all on Ernie now because Gilbert is not playing. Like I asked 88 a week ago, why not judge Gilbert's resigning at the end of the year once he comes back on the court. Then if Gilbert looks like trash, I will be the first to admit I was wrong in agreeing with Ernie to resign him.

Lastly as far as AJ is concerned, they paid him the going rate for someone with his skill (20 and 10 a game). The Sixers were looking to offer about the same type of money. The Wiz have a very good unit when healthy, so Ernie was banking on everyone (including Haywood) to be playing together by December.

If anyone is to blame it should be Eddie and his crazy substition calls during games and not Ernie's signing of players....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 6, 2008 2:10 PM

It's still too early to predict an 80+ game season but I think Coach needs to keep Young on second unit since he brings so much firepower off the bench. He may want to start Juan Dixon instead of Daniels sometimes though.

Posted by: sammy5 | November 6, 2008 2:18 PM

Ditto BulletsFever comments regarding the decision to let Roger Mason go....yes, I'd much rather have him than DSS as our starting SG and he came up huge last year, but NY needed PT in order to realize his potential. At the time we re-signed Agent Zero, it was based on EG thinking he'd be ready for the regular season and Mason wasn't going to come back for a hometown discount.

The Wiz anticipated a starting backcourt of DSS and Agent Zero. DSS had his best season when he was the 4th option and got tons of open looks. NY and AD were to be the backup guards which wouldn't have been a bad combo. Juan Dixon was only signed after EG learned Agent Zero needed surgery.

The domino effect is that teams now load up on Antwan and Caron because we have no threat in the backcourt. I agree with another blogger that NY's offensive game opens up things by giving us a 3rd big scorer. I think Eddie has to start NY to give the 1st team some scoring ability in the backcourt.

I still think Juan needs to come off the bench to so we have some scoring. AB needs to be the backup 4 with the 2nd unit. It's up to Eddie to realize AD is way past him prime and should be playing 10-15 minutes of limited action off the bench.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 6, 2008 2:48 PM

i thought that JM did very well for the minutes he got EJ should have kept him in longer hes the only 7 footer we have on the team. DS does nothing he cant provide offensively unless gilbert is on the floor
AB is very disappointing u would think with all his experience and talent he would be averaging at least 15 and 6
EJ has really angered me for the past two years. he needs to change his "players coach" mentality and start getting serious with his players. the reason they dont click on offense is because the players dont execute his offense for the whole game

Posted by: issamh08 | November 6, 2008 2:50 PM

AJ and Gil were signed b/c Abe wanted them signed. Thus - Grunfeld signed them.

Posted by: unkonchus | November 6, 2008 3:11 PM

Eddie Jordan has got to be committed to getting the ball inside. Inside shots are high percentage shots and he needs to get his rookie JaVale McGee in the post and run plays for him. The Wiz need to do this over and over and over again until it becomes second nature. We know the guards can score, but they shoot jump shots. Jump shots are not high percentage shots, this is why the Wiz get leads and loose them. When the shots stop falling they don't know what to do. It's basic basketball, EJ acts like he doesn't understand. McGee can score and play defense. Sure he'll make mistakes, but what's he going to do make them 0-3. In other words they're already losing with this jump shot offense. Their scorers don't like to go to the basket and when they do go and get fouled, they miss free throws. The Wiz need to have more then one option, and EJ needs to re-evaluate his approach to their offensive game

Posted by: phillynick | November 6, 2008 3:22 PM

Andre Blatche is a turnover waiting to happen.

It's hilarious with NIck Young zooming around you almost get the sense that Blatche is getting dizzy. They he receives a sweet pass and jump spin flops the ball out of bounds.

Or better yet, he pulls down a long rebound (out near the 3pt line where he is sulking) and brings the ball up court himself, obliterating the offense they should be running and the defense is just salivating to make a steal off of him and run a fast break back down his throat.

I know he is young, i know he has potential, but he clearly needs to take practice and off season prep more seriously. He needs to bring more focus, and start concetrating on making smart plays.

As for Juan D starting. Juan is not a start PG in the NBA. Maybe Antonio isn't either...
... but all in all I'd rather have juan coming off the bench as a second team scoring option. He is a bit streaky, and I think his speed is suspect. I like him, and I think he is a chemistry type player that can thrive in the right situation. I do't think starting him is the best option though.

Antonio on the other hand has never been mistaken for a jump shot shooter. he tends to be a pass first / slashing guard. And you may not like his NBA credentials, but you have to respect a player that constantly goes to the rim and draws fouls often times winding up on his back in the process. In an ideal world he would come off the bench and stabilize the 2nd team when needed.

The wizards are not in an ideal world. I can see going to Nick over DS, and maybe that would give Antawn a bit more spacing for his baseline junk.

More than anything i think these guys need to focus and not get sloppy. they have the capability to score points in bunches and play some nice BB, we saw signs of it last night. But the biggest hurdle for this team (as always) is the mental focus that it takes to close out a team in the 4th quarter.

You do that by running the offense, taking time off the clock, playing close to the net drawing fouls and getting back on D.

When you start popping shots up too fast in the 4th quarter it gives any NBA team a shot at getting back into the game.

Posted by: gconrads | November 6, 2008 3:39 PM

"why are folks touting Chalmers as some sort of stud? what has he done??? Hit one shot at Kansas, smoked dope on the rookie orientation... what else? give me a break. He's been a pro for 2 minutes. let's hold off on should've drafted this dude or that dude mess.

AJ and Gil were signed b/c Abe wanted them signed. Thus - Grunfeld signed them.

Posted by: unkonchus | November 6, 2008 3:11 PM "

Mario wasn't smoking the weed. It was the ho's hiding in the bathroom that were.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 6, 2008 4:26 PM

starting linup back rotation
pg-juan dixon dee brown n ad split time
sg-nick young deshawn
sf-cb3 mcguire
pf-aj blatche
c-mcgee thomas

dont even play songalia(he doesnt fit the style of play when we speed up game)

Posted by: wizallday | November 6, 2008 4:29 PM

Wow, sorry, but the persons blaming one of the top 5 GM's in the NBA for the shape the Wiz are in are just plain ignorant. This team has talent both young and old. The coach and the owner just suck as do the injuries. You think EG had much of a choice not to sign Jamison and Arenas. Abe loves both those players!

EG's pros

-Getting Arenas originally for value - genius.
-Kwame for Butler - genuis.
-AB was a good pick for potential middle of second round. How many players that round that year are still even in the NBA?
-McGee looks like he might be a great pick.
-BH resigning for nothing considering he is a decent starting center particularly last year.
-DS played for nothing for a very good year one. Resigned bc Arenas decided to play GM. Plus, he is not a 3rd option as he is now out of necessity.
-CB resigned for REAL value.
-NY was a good talent pick late in first.
-Song was a good role player signing for toughness.
-McGuire still could be solid athletic pro as a second round pick.
-Did not overpay for Larry Hughes or Jeffries.

EG's cons

-Etan contract although that was after his BEST season as a pro and EJ had him tapped at the time as his starting center when healthy.
-The contracts for AJ and Arenas. Again, not sure he had much choice here.
-Pech pick. Don't know yet, but nobody gets it right all the time.

Again, coaching and owner are THIS teams problem by far.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 6, 2008 4:50 PM

Andray Blatche will be fine peeps! He just needs to play alongside Mcghee, Young, Dixon & Butler. That's my starting five right there.

Coaching is really a big problem out of the 3 loses.

Posted by: bdunkadunk | November 6, 2008 5:50 PM

Nick Young is looking much better. He definitely should be starting or getting many more minutes. AD, ditto, very slow this year, looking older.

Posted by: washwiz | November 6, 2008 9:05 PM

GUARD PLAY IS PATHETIC. DID YOU SEE TWO WIZ ATEMPT TO HAND THE BALL OFF TO EACH OTHER AND LOOSE IT TWICE. REBOUNDING IS ABSCENT AND NO ONE IS SKILLED AT DRIVING TO THE BASKET.FOR THE FIRST TIME IN E J TENURE I AM BEGINNING TO WONDER IF HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING. SOME TIMES THEY RUN AND SHOOT AND OTHER TIMES THEY STAND AROUND AND WAIT FOR THE CLOCK TO TELL THEM TO TRY A LONG JUMPER.DEFENCE WAS TERRIBLE SO THE BUCKS PLAYED LIKE PHOENIX ON A GOOD DAY. WE NEED A REBOUNDER AND A BALL HANDLING GUARD. I WOULD ACCEPT MARBURY PLUS ANY 7FT CENTER AVAILABLE NO MATTER HIS AGE. WHERE IS MOTUMBO?

Posted by: kcandlc | November 7, 2008 12:16 AM