Rotation Situation

The Wiz don't play again until Wednesday at Milwaukee so no practice today. I'm sure folks have all kinds of interesting thoughts on last night's entertaining loss at Detroit, particularly Coach Eddie Jordan's reliance on a smaller lineup that got the Wizards back into the game and proved effective offensively but also led to a brutal beating on the boards where the Pistons held a 49-23 edge in rebounds and a 28-9 edge in second-chance points.

Two factors: Jordan elected not to play rookie JaVale McGee after Darius Songaila was so effective with a unit that included Juan Dixon, Nick Young, Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison in the second quarter, and Andray Blatche earned himself a prime seat in Jordan's dog house with his four-minute stint in the first half. Needless to say, Jordan was not thrilled to see Kwame Brown blow by Blatche for a pair of easy layups.

Jordan when I asked him specifically about Blatche not playing in the second half: "You give guys a chance and the opportunity is there for them. If you give great effort, you get the benefit of the doubt. If there's not enough effort there and not enough sincere play, you are not going to play."

Wow.

By Ivan Carter  |  November 2, 2008; 11:12 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards at Pistons (updated)
Next: Monday Morning Point Guard

Comments

Blatche didn't come to play; Thomas was struggling; and McGee is simply too raw to play significant minutes, especially against that Pistons frontline.

What else was EJ supposed to do? He had to play Songaila, go small and try to trap and scramble to get back into the game.

Frontline-wise, he's got a pair of deuces to play with.

Posted by: SteveMG | November 2, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

What else was he supposed to do? How bout play Blatche! How can you determine that someone didn't "bring it" that night based off of 4 minutes. So what if Kwame went past him. Kwame always had a good first step (its all the other steps that followed that was bad). Eddie had a personal agenda and now that Brendan is no longer in his doghouse, he is picking on Blatche. He is really going to do damage to Blatche's career with this approach.

Posted by: CBell29 | November 2, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, is this the first time that AB has been sleepwalking through a game? He has a history of this.

Blatche simply wasn't ready to play. Besides, he's a finesse big man anyway. He can't matchup inside against the Pistons.

EJ put in Songaila, uses a small lineup that trapped and scrambled and got back into the game.

Again: How many times does Blatche have to not show up? This isn't the first time.

And it won't be the last.

Posted by: SteveMG | November 2, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

CBell my thoughts exactly. As I posted in the last blog topic, Eddie does not have a affinity for fostering positive relationships with his big men since he has been with the Wizards. He's also too "veteran" prone when determining playing time despite how well the rookies or younger players are better overall talents.

Posted by: garrybrown | November 2, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, I'm still upset about yesterday's game. Jordan seems to have to have someone in his doghouse. It was Haywood for a long time until he had no choice but to play him. Blatche also seems to have been in Jordan's doghouse for sometime. Jordan seems to be just fine with playing small and losing as oppose to living with some mistakes and having a better chance at winning.

I'll say right now that the Wizard should trade Blatche if the coach is not going to give him a fair chance to play through some mistakes.

When Kwane went by Blatche for the second time I saw Blatche grab the ball and slam it against his hand showing emotion that he was upset about that happening again. However, instead getting a chance to play through that mistake Blatche gets yanked never to see the court again.

Jordan is playing head games with Blatche. Now when and if he gets into a game he'll be playing not to make a mistake instead just playing his game which will make him ineffective and give Jordan more reason not to play him.

I saw a ton of mistakes by other Wizard player the one standing out the most was DS trying to go one on one against Wallace and getting his shot blocked. However, DS will not have worry about getting yanked because he's not in Jordan's doghouse.

Also, it is also clear to me that Jordan needs to take the blame for that loss. Not just because of the small ball, but because it was as clear as day that NY should have started the second half over AD or DS. Or at least put him in early in the quarter. The starting line up does not have enough scoring and playmakers. Detroit did what it did at the start of game, keyed on CB and AJ and stopped them from scoring. Without another scorer on the floor they went by up 7 to 9 points and never looked back. Instead of bringing in an early sub, he stuck with the starters until about 3 minutes left in the quarter. By then it was too late.

I know its early, but my feeling are the same as they were last year. Jordan must go!

Posted by: 33dgriffin | November 2, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

And Songaila's the big, punishing big man that does match up against Detroit?

The issue isn't Blatche vs. Songaila, at least not in my mind. The issue is Songaila for 27 minutes and Blatche/McGee for 4 minutes. You can play Dray nine minutes and still make the point that he was disappointing.

Posted by: Pradamaster | November 2, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

I said it after the 1st game, Blatche appears to either be high when playing or is simply not smart enough to play in the NBA. His reaction time is unbelievably slow and his decision making is awful. This is his 4th year and he should not be making the same mistakes (reach in, poor shot selection) every time he is on the floor. He's just mailing it in, already collecting the money & the women, there is no other incentive to make him work harder.

NY however seems to be stepping up, so happy to see him working into the paint more. Even with EJ favoring vets to a fault, I think it will be hard to explain having DS start for much longer if NY keeps coming on.

McGee needs consistent minutes and with the obvious problems at center it seems a stretch to argue he would fair any worse than the others. He is the only center we have on the roster right now and we simply can't wait 3 years to groom him.

Generally thought the Wizards played well in the game after the 2nd quater. Offense was pretty smooth but defense and rebounding are going to continue to be problematic throughout the year. 2 to 1 on second chance points is just absurd and testament to how losing Haywood is impacting this club.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 2, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

A few observations:

1) the starting five is not competitive because 3 guys are offensively impaired. It lets the defense overplay AJ and CB.

2) Pech, McGuire, and D Brown are not ready for prime time.

3) Etan and Song aren't going to be a force inside either defending or rebounding.

4) There was no help-defense on the plays that Blatche got burnt.

Given the above, EJ's options are limited. However, given the lack of competitiveness in his starting five and the lack of potential growth in Eddie's guys at the 2 and 5 (DS, DS and ET), he needs to make two changes.

1) Replace Stevenson with Young. Dixon should also be in the mix at guard given that he played decent defense in the 1st half last night.

2)Mentally commit oneself to developing Blatche and McGee in the hole, including putting up with "silly" mistakes.

Do I think EJ will do this? Absolutely not. But if the Wiz are 10 games under .500 by Xmas, he ought to be fired.

Posted by: Izman | November 2, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

First and foremost, who would have ever thought my boy BTH had such a big impact on this team (other then some folks from last year posting and myself)? Haywood's new contract situation has just improved threefold just by him not being in the lineup. Even EJ is going to have to admit that now....

As I was trying to say last year and this year, Etan is not a starting center in this league. It showed itself for sure last night. I have nothing against Etan but he should not be getting no more then 10 to 15 minutes a game, period!!!

As much as I hate "smallball", it did get us back in the game. I believe EJ was going to bring McGee in the 2nd half but that "smallball" 5 he had close out the 2nd quarter was too tempting for him to not try again since it did work. I am not mad at EJ for that one this time.

I still disagree with people that Song. is not a NBA player. I love his game and he should be the first off of the bench spelling AJ, not Etan....!!! As I have said before, people should not dog Song., because he is playing out of position. He is a "4" playing a "5". Not his fault.

EJ needs to decide now if he wants McGee to start learning now, or hold him for two years on the bench. He has no choice but to start him and let him play with the vets.

Don't put him with the 2nd unit because he will feel to free to jack up shots. If he is in there with the vets he will respect them and not do anything stupid.

While McGee is in there he will play "D" and only shoot if the Vet's tell him too. You then bring in AB to back him up. Let AB play through his mistakes. He is not as mentally strong as Haywood so the "Haywood" treatment on him will not work for him. He will shutdown more.

Fella's, we are in for a long season so I am already prepared for some losses until EJ looks at that "5" spot again and/or Gilbert and Haywood get back.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 2, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 2, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

EJ got out coached yesterday. His favoritism was so obvious to me yesterday and it was sickning. I dont get EJ sometimes. You will live with Jamison flip shots and building a firepit with his 3's but you give Blatche 4min?

Jamison talks about how Blatche needs to step it up but there are times when Jamison's shot selection is just as questionable as Blatche.

The young guys need to play more often plain and simple. Especially in during a season like this one.

Posted by: vwilli1 | November 2, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

SteveMG, you're wrong, wrong, wrong. It's not a pair of deuces, it's an unsuited deuce with a seven.
Even if we forget AB's first year, he's had two others in the league. If Eddie can't handle him, trade him.
Start JM and live with the mistakes. Eddie can't teach either ET or Song length, foot speed, or how to score. 2008-9 is over, play guys to get ready for next year. BTH and/or GA may be healthy by then and ready to play.
They should consider packaging AJ - if this team could perform, I would have no problem with him, but the Wiz would be better served with draft choices or expiring contracts. If the projected win total is below 35, do you really care how far below?

Posted by: lrmc623 | November 2, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Well, they just spent over $160 million in the offseason so it'll be difficult to completely reverse course and throw the year (really, it would be several) away and start all over again.

Maybe they should. But I can't see how they could sell it. Unless they get rid of EJ and EG. And I don't think Abe, God love him, would support that.

There's a lot of teams out there in the same situation as the Wizards. I.e., stuck in neutral (if not reverse) and not going anywhere.

Posted by: SteveMG | November 2, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Turn out the lights, the parties over! Staying with the status quo this off season appears like it will hamper the Wiz for the next 4/5 years. I blame Mr. Abe more than anyone. Perhaps, EG would have decided on his own to stay the course, but I know there was no decision to be made. Jamison looks to be in for a down year as is most of the rest of the team. Players are playing in spots where they are just not going to be successful. There is very little play making ability on the court with the exception of NY who can only make plays for himself. CB is just getting too much attention although he will have the most solid year. So less offense and no defense spells doom!

30 wins is looking like a stretch at this point! Plus, having a down year might get us a high draft pick, which we won't be able to afford. Lovely situation! I said before the Arenas signing his contract had a MUCH better chance of hampering the franchise than getting a championship or even close to it and I doubt that assessment will ever change even if he returns 100%, which is also not likely.

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 2, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

There have been reports in the Boston Globe that the Blazers, Nets, and Warriors are all shopping players I think could help this squad right now.

Use Songalia-sorry EJ, Thomas, Blatche, Jamison, Dixon and the draft picks as bait. Get this team ready for the other 5 years on Gilbert and Caron's deals. There is absolutely no one in the draft.

Posted by: vwilli1 | November 2, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Songaila may have been a part of that hot run in the 2nd quarter, but his lead-footed play absolutely killed them down the stretch in the 4th. I get the idea of making points, but bench Blatche for the half. Don't spite the team by saddling them with half an hour of Darius.

Posted by: pondaz | November 2, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Slow down everyone it's just game 2 of the season and although I agree with a lot that has been written here you cant throw away the season after game 2.
I agree with The_Shadow_Knows's entire post. Andre Blatch deserved to be benched for his consistant lack attention, allowing Kwame to blow by him 2 strait times 20 feet from the basket even though Kwame has no jump shot, make him shoot from 20 if he want's to score.

Nick Young needs to start NOW! I start him in place of D. Stevenson as the starting unit needs his ability to get shots for himself and as he showing lately others.

J. McGee needs minutes on a regular basis, yes he's a rookie but his length and athleticism can spark this team in place what I believe is a player in Darius Song who injuries have really limited his ability to contribute, his career may be in jepordy.

We will be okay but it will take 10-15 games.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 2, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Too bad nobody can bench Eddie Jordan for poor decisions/coaching...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | November 2, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone think another coach could squeeze any more than another 3-5 wins out of this roster?

At most, 3-5 games.

EJ, to me, is an above average coach working with an extremely limited roster.

Could he perhaps juggle players better and not "lock in" on a player or players?

Absolutely.

Would that make much if any difference?

Not to me.

Posted by: SteveMG | November 2, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

SteveMG,

It's good to see that someone else gets it. People can carp about Jordan all they like, but anyone who thinks this ragtag, mismatched, injury riddled collection of talent is going to do anything more than hang in there against a team like Detroit is fooling themselves. (And spare me the whole "but they've got the second best record against the Pistons the last few years," nonsense. The Pistons got to the conference Finals everyone of those years. how far did the Wizards get?)

There's talent on this team, no doubt. But there are also a lot of holes that can't be easily papered over by throwing unproven guys out onto the floor and hoping for the best.

As for Blatche, he should count himself lucky. Most coaches would have yanked him after the first time he stood flatfooted with his thumb up his ass watching Kwame Brown (Kwame Brown!!) blow by him 15 feet from the rim for an uncontested throwdown. That was simply ridiculous.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree SteveMG. The entire blame can not go on EJ, however some of the blame can. In having to work with what he has, he has to toss that "old school" way of thinking of his and let some of the "young guns" play more minutes and allow them to play through their mistakes.

Mainly I am talking about McGee and AB. That "5" spot is a major thorn in this team's side right now. Etan is not the man for that spot. I do not care how much "force" as EJ always said Etan brings, it will not balance out his lack of height at the "5" and his non offensive game.

Antonio Daniels looks like he has lost another step because he is not even playing any "d" now. He looks like Gilbert playing "d" now. At least Gil would give you over 20 to balance out his lack of "d".

D. Steveson is a player who is good when Haywood and Gil are playing. You have a better inside/outside game going with BTH and Gil, thus that opens it up for Steveson. With Etan at the 5 (no offensive inside game) and AD at the 1 (no outside shot and seems like no dribble penetration anymore) you are forcing Stevenson out of his spot up game.

That 1, 2, and 5 spot is real suspect for us right now, with the 4 spot (AJ) running a close 2nd. Although, AJ can come out of his slump anytime so I am not really worried about him.

Again, folks need to lay off of Songalia because the dude is a nice player. It is not his fault EJ is playing him at the 5 instead of his natural 4 spot. Did anyone notice he played Sheed a heck of alot better then Etan did? Cut the dude some slack......

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 2, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Thank you SteveMG for being the voice of reason, changing coach's will not reap this team any progress and before we start polishing Haywood's HOF plaque lets remember what Brendan was before last season,a career underachiever a slacker if you will, wizard fans had him pegged for unemployment before last season EJ expect's certain things out of his big men rebounding,defending the rim,and blocking shots, lets be truthfull before last season BTH was sorely lacking in most of the previously metioned categories, until last year I thought BTH was a big crybaby always looking for excuses,however he stepped up last year and is missed so far this season as for Blatche he's a hardheaded goofball and i don't fault EJ one bit he is typical of today's players poor work ethic,me first attitude,and he doesn't listen that's not EJ fault you would think by now that Andray would sieze this oppourtunity but i guess not.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 2, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | November 2, 2008 6:21 PM

Dargregmag - How can you sieze an opportunity if you only get 4 minutes??? What was AB's difference in performance from the first game where he got major minutes?

What did the dude do in practice to warrant him getting 4 minutes. Is everyone telling me it is because Kwame Brown got good position twice to score and that is the major reason to bench him the rest of the game????

In the same sense what did he do that was so great the first game to get him so many minutes including minutes in the 4th quarter over Etan (EJ's favorite)???

People have to remember Kwame Brown gets a paycheck too and there are some games he does show up too. Question to all of the folks agreeing with EJ playing AB only 4 minutes.

If Kwame would have done the same thing to Etan, would EJ bench Etan for the rest of the game? Inquiring minds would like to know......???????

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 2, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

For you ripping Eddie Jordan for not sticking with Blatche, you have lost you're mind. I give Jordan tons of credit for not playing him. It is totally fair.

You can't let a guy come to games and practice with lazy habits, not keeping his head in the game, and no dedication to see the floor. You dont reward that type of behavior. Blatche needs to grow up.

One of the reasons I have noticed this team has struggled and the young players dont get any better is because of the character and dedication. Take the Pistons for example. They have young guys like Stuckey, Herrmann, Afflalo, Maxiell, Amir Johnson, etc. who have insane work ethics, and compete like hell every time they are on the floor. Those young guys go 100% all the time, and if you read the Detroit papers, are at the practice facility all day long getting better.

Here, you got guys like Blatche, Nick Young to an extene, Pech, etc. who dont have the same work ethic, dedication, and will to get better. They arent mentally tough, and it shows when dumb mistakes are made over and over again.

Posted by: Roman5 | November 2, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'd subtract Pecherov from that group. From everything I've read, the guy is a gym rat. Works hard, et cetera.

Now, whether he has the athleticism and skill level to play in this league is another question. What is he? A "4"? A "3"?

The clock is ticking down on him....

Posted by: SteveMG | November 2, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

NOTE TO BULLETFEVER:As a lifelong Bullet/Wiz fan no one wants Andray to suceed more than me but EJ can't reward inconsistent effort its not like AB is a rookie he does things like this on a regular basis and frankly its getting real old real fast he has skills no doubt.I've never read about Andray's work habits he's not a "gym rat" he was pulled last night beacause he let Kwame Brown blow by him for two layups KWAME "FREAKIN" BROWN A BUMM so lets not make this out to be EJ's fault.

Posted by: dargregmag | November 2, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Jordan didn't bench Blatche simply because he got scored on. Everybody gets scored on. He benched him because he made no effort to stop his man from scoring on him. His head was quite clearly not in the game. It's one thing to put out effort that doesn't yield results. Blatche wasn't even putting out effort. That'll get players benched pretty much every time by any coach, unless it's a player who's so good that he can get results without really trying, and Blatche is nowhere near in that category.

"before we start polishing Haywood's HOF plaque lets remember what Brendan was before last season,a career underachiever a slacker if you will, wizard fans had him pegged for unemployment before last season"

Don't waste your breath, dargregmag. Between the irrational hatred of Jordan and the perpetual man-love for Haywood, some people will never get it. Haywood is, on good days, a decent B-list (at best) NBA starting C, a role player who's good for 25-30 minutes a game. On bad days, he's a 7 foot placeholder. He's basically a less offensively skilled version of Erick Dampier. But for some reason, 1 season of pretty good production following 6 years of phoning it in is enough to give him a free pass to the next level.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

"Well, I'd subtract Pecherov from that group. From everything I've read, the guy is a gym rat. "

That comment showed up in an article that was written about him during summer league the summer he was drafted, a full year before he'd actually get signed and officially become a member of the team. He's been milking it ever since.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2008 9:43 PM | Report abuse

The comments are taking their usual tack, from EJ's tendency to go with the vets too long to those who blame EJ for not playing the youngsters enough.

I think EJ is a more than adequate coach, though his weakness' are obvious; injuries, a veneer of talent that doesn't extend deep onto the pine and an inability to take raw, untested potential and develop and integrate it into the nucleus of healthy, exceptional veteran talent on this current team i.e., Butler, Jamison.

His bench is mostly unrealized potential and some proven reliability. Songalia, Daniels, Stevenson and Thomas are veteran role players and used in the right spots, they are essential contributors.

EJ's weakness is developing and integrating the head cases and younger players into a productive mix. He's not willing to roll the dice and extend adequate PT to mistake prone youngsters.

With the inuries this year and in the past EJ has shown an unwillingness to take the gamble of drawing to the future in favor of overplaying the mediocre but proven veteran hand he has been dealt.

There is the hope that EJ is growing into the job, he has shown that he can find NY playing time and even suggested that JM may fit into the rotation this season.

Those who are coming down hard on Blatche should recall that he is still the youngest Wiz except for McGee. Not every player's learning curve is the same, as is every coach's ability to develop and integrate young talent.

As far as KB blowing by Blatche twice in a game, big deal. Recall that for all of KB's shortcomings with the Wiz, he was chosen number one, first round and he's now found playing time on a team of perennial contenders who have a history of shrewd talent evaluation and reclamation projects.

Finally what truly remains to be seen with this team should be evident sometime in early '09 and that is whether Butler, Jamison and Arenas will ever be healthy all at once and beyond that whether they can play together adequately with the current supporting cast to take the Wiz deep into the second season.

All of those known unknowns are enough to keep this season interesting, at least to a dabbler like me.

Posted by: pdarroch | November 2, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Andre Blatche looks more and more to me like we have a more talented Kwame Brown back. Andre has done many mindless things like Kwame. I hope I am wrong. Andre could be a great player or a bust. Eddie Jordan beats up on him. Many of the other players are disappointed in him. I am not sure that you can grow desire and effort in a player. It just may be that it is going to take a long time for Andre to grow up and produce. Or he may never produce on a regular basis. We got Caron for Kwame. Maybe we can get something as good for Andre. Some team is going to see that possiblity in Andre. It is Ernie's turn to produce some magic from this situation.

Posted by: JoeC2 | November 2, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

He's been milking it ever since.

Every comment about him by EJ re his work habits have been, from what I've read, positive. Or, at least, not negative.

And Jordan's not shy about smacking young players upside the head. Figuratively speaking.

Of course, solid work habits aren't much good if he can't play.

Posted by: SteveMG | November 2, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

"Of course, solid work habits aren't much good if he can't play."

My point, exactly. People keep trying to counter criticism of him by bringing up that "gym rat" comment like it's a merit badge. Doesn't matter how much time he spends in the gym if he's not any better a player when he comes out of it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 2, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

EJ's starting line up is deteriorating. People are tired of seeing Stevenson, Jamison, AD jack up shots. Yall need to be fair when commenting about Blatche. He hasn't been given enough playing time ever since and wasn't the focal offensive player in EJ's system. How can someone improve or even show their capabilities? The Veterans make so much mistakes it's sickening!

Time to bring the younger guys the chance. The game seems to be more exciting to watch when the younger guys are in the game. This current system is really getting old.

Posted by: bdunkadunk | November 2, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

The effectivness of the "small ball" had nothing to do with Asong, it was the cohesion and skills of NY and Juan...
A true infusion would be JMC along with NY and Juan, with CB and AJ...
That will never happen with EJ, no way...he is beyond stubborn.

Also this so called Princeton offense, is just offensive.
Wasting seconds on each offensive set, just weaving, dribbling and stalling on the perimeter is a joke. Then it is followed by panic and jump shots as time is running out.
This may work in the Ivy League, where small ball is prevalent and talent is limited.
How about a pick, or set play with weak side sets, or dumping the ball inside, and send out to open jumpers. Dribble penetration anyone?
I maintain that a good coach would get considerably more out of this less than stellar combination.
Dump Pech, AD, Dsong, ET...they will unfortunately have no trade value, but please try the big dump, now rather than later.
EJ has to go, which as I have stated ad nausea, will not happen, as EJ is Abe's stepson, and Wes's step brother.
A crying shame!

Posted by: maxman2162 | November 3, 2008 1:20 AM | Report abuse

A lot of good comments above, I think. Nick Young is about ready for prime time and if he and Juan Dixon can consistently play off of each other and produce both offensively and defensively, there is no reason on God's Green Earth not to give them the starting nod over AD (a year older, a step slower and still in no danger of finding an outside shot) and DS, who has been positioned as a chair warmer for #1 since the day of the 2007 draft anyhow, is really only a productive player when paired with Gil.

At center, I tend to agree with the comments that it would be shrewd to start JVM between the co-captains at some point ... Milwaukee with Bogut would be an interetsing test (I expect to see a lot of Darius against him) but the Knicks are absolutely centerless, Bogut ate them up last nite.

Hopefully the Wizards can win in Milwaukee on Wednesday. It gives me hope that this will happen when I read that Scott Skiles still considers Luke Ridnour his starter even though Ramon Sessions just played two great games for them, including 46 minutes against the Knicks during which he chewed up Duhon, Collins and Nate the Skate. Sessions would absolutely torch AD if Skiles started him. Also Redd looks like he twisted his ankle pretty badly.

Posted by: khrabb | November 3, 2008 7:09 AM | Report abuse

So far I think I'm looking like Nostradamus. My thoughts before the real season started seem to be correct so far....

On this team, Nick Young needs to start. With Gil out, we need the scoring in the starting lineup to take the pressure off CB and AJ. Without interior or weakside defensive help, DS isn't shutting anyone down anyway.

Etan is a sieve inside and undersized for the C position. He is not the rebounding demon that a few select folks think he is regardless of his per minute average in previous seasons. As long as he's starting, we'll continue to get abused by teams with bigger active big men. (Cleveland being among them). I honestly think that Pech might be better inside defensively because of his size alone. They have the same foot speed.

EJ DOES have something against AB. As much as Songaila gets abused and misses layups, how is EJ justifying punishing AB for a couple of Kwame layups? It's personal and he's made no effort to conceal it. He's cutting off his nose to spite his face. Small ball may get you some more scoring but the end result will almost always be a pounding on the boards and a loss. Songaila had one rebound in 27 minutes!! Why didn't EJ yank him for that?

Posted by: original_mark | November 3, 2008 7:13 AM | Report abuse

EJ needs a bigger doghouse. He also needs to play his best players and stop trying to teach lessons. It never worked when he played games between Colossus and Etan. In fact, while EJ has been innovative with his offense here with the Wiz over the years, there's no evidence that any of his 'tricks' or mind games have ever been effective.
I think one of EJ's coaching methods is outdated. He's said that benching young players is his method of punishing them and making them better by making them 'earn' pt. In 1980 when he was playing, that might have worked because a guy needed pt to showcase his skills so that he can earn the fat contract. AB is in the second year of a 5 year guaranteed deal, I believe. Whether he plays a lot of minutes for us or not, at the end of the 5 years, teams will be clamoring for him because he'll be young, tall and he'll have skills. There's no way to punish a guy making millions by sitting him. I think it actually retards their growth.

Posted by: original_mark | November 3, 2008 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Many good points have been made above, but the fact remains this team is not going to get it done. Too many players are now in spots where they will not succeed. Our backup PG is starting and our backup undersized center is starting. Both can't score enough to keep all the attention off of CB and AJ and they don't defend particularly well either. Any team relying on DS as their 3rd scorer is not going to get it done. Sorry, two games or not this season is OVER!

I say give NY, Blatche, and JM all the playing time they need. It's not going to get much worse. I love all the talk in the preseason about all the "length" we have and yet we consistently play one of the smaller lineups in the league. EJ has never been my favorite and one thing he has NEVER been accused of is being a good developer of talent or overly creative (unless you count our non-princeton princeton offense). He just isn't...fact!

Posted by: rphilli721 | November 3, 2008 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Bullets Fever, I usually agree with you but I didn't see Songaila play Sheed any better than anyone else. Sheed was 7-9 with a bunch of rebounds and 6 blocks. Maybe you're right and he would have been 15-17 with someone else on him, though. Someone else stated that it's not Songaila's fault that he's playing out of position and I have to agree.
As usual, I disagree with the comment about Colossus being an average C. Some seem to think that he was lollygagging for 5 years then turned it on. It was all about playing time. Even Jordan wouldn't have been Jordan at 25 minutes per game. We can't fairly judge a player until he gets solid consistent time and fails. We can honestly say that Deshawn is never going to be more than a average or slightly below average player because he's had plenty of pt and done little with it.
We're going to be able to judge Etan soon by the same measure. I think it's a little telling that EJ pulled Etan in both games and not because of foul trouble. He sees the rebounding and defensive deficiencies, too. We may not like his coaching style but EJ sees the same game we see.
I think it's time to start tinkering with the lineup and start NY. Also, put Pech in the game and see what he can do. If he fails, relegate him back to the bench. Why pick up his option and then keep splinters in his butt? He may not be the savior in the middle but I'm sure he would at least challenge ppl more than Etan. (at least for 15 minutes per game til he fouled out). Also, we need to play McGee. Again, if we're getting poor C play now, what harm would it do to get poor play from a guy who is at least probably going to get better? I personally think McGee is our best option at C right now. AB needs to be the backup SF and PF. Every minute that CB and AJ don't play needs to go to him.

Posted by: original_mark | November 3, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

As I have said before ET is no NBA center, only a backup PF. BH is the real deal and JM gives the Wiz 2 NBA centers. The guy that said start JM and bring in AB as backup knows a thing or two. This team is a primetime run and gun but EJ does not get it. I am so tired of seeing AD walk and piroetting the ball up and down, bench him and let NY,JD,DS,DB run the show. EJ needs to go back and find out why the Princeton offense was really designed. It was designed for small teams that could not compete with big athletic teams. So with this team you better be runnin and gunnin like 2 years ago i.e. 2nd in scoring offense and EJ said Oh Guys we now have to play defense and they barely made the playoffs. EJ forgot that in the Princeton offense, your defense is your offense. The less you score the better your defense has to be. Score more and your defense gets better. And Trust me, EJ is on a short string, he better figure this out quick or else EG will fire him PDQ. Being bumped in the 1st round sucks for this team. And you haters, this team is not ragtime, they just need to be coached the right way. You heard from LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 3, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bdunkadunk | November 3, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

We have the talent to win 45-50 games even without GA and Colossus. We have two all stars, veterans and good some young talent. NY, AB, JM should all get time. EvenPech and McGuire should get a few minutes in spots. Let's stop hanging onto the veterans and play the young guys.
Like I've said before, I'd rather have a hare run in the wrong direction at 100mph before he finds the right path and gets on track than a tortoise who knows where to go but can't get there fast enough.

Posted by: original_mark | November 3, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse

"It's time for positive reinforcement to get these young guys going. Look at the bulls, they made some drastic changes to their starting line up."

That's what happens when a team goes from ousting the defending champs in the playoffs to winning the lottery.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Playing time and teaching folks lessons is the one and only area EJ needs to work on with his coaching. Other then that, the dude is a very good coach.

Now, EJ really needs to look at AD's play also. We have all been focused on that "5" spot, but AD has clearly look just as bad as Etan has. I think OPEC or JM should get the starting nod at "5" and let AB back them up.

I also think a backcourt of Dee Brown, Juan Dixon and NY should get the majority of the minutes now. Or slide D. Stevenson over to the starting point, which I can work with for the minute and start NY at the 5.

EJ has to come at AB differently. Again, that same approach he used on Haywood can not be done on AB because he is no where near Haywood in mental maturity. EJ has to encourage him more then discourage him.

As for the statement about Haywood only playing well one year, that is not true because when given playing time the two years before that he produced. However EJ had a problem with him and it became personal. Thus, EJ punished him by not playing him.

Last time, if Etan was not out all year because of injury, EJ would have started Etan over Haywood plain and simple. EJ was forced to play Haywood and with meaniful minutes the man produced.

Haywood is a student of the game and very intelligent (even EJ has said so) and out spoken. EJ being from the old school probably did not like Haywood questioning sometimes how he coached. It seems like they may have had verbal wars before. Now EJ is seeing how important Haywood is to the team.

EG always knew Haywood's vaule. Why do you think Herman from the Pistons and Ike from the Cav's made those statements about how the Wiz will miss Haywood?

Lastly, why do you think EG tried his darnest to trade Etan in the offseason? He wanted that option for EJ gone (i.e. Ruffin and Jarvis).

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 3, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"We can't fairly judge a player until he gets solid consistent time and fails. We can honestly say that Deshawn is never going to be more than a average or slightly below average player because he's had plenty of pt and done little with it."

Stevenson and Haywood have averaged essentially the same MPG over their careers.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Haywood has started a higher percentage of the games he's played than Stevenson.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Right, Kal. That's why I'm now basing my opinion on last year when they both started. My take is that last year's Haywood is the real one and not an aberration. Actually he only scratched the surface because he still didn't get the 40 minutes that I'd like to see him get.
DS also showed me enough to know that he's always going to be just a complimentary player and not a key to victory.

Posted by: original_mark | November 3, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

...and I have no idea what DS was doing before he got here. I just started watching the dude once he put on a Wiz uni.

Posted by: original_mark | November 3, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

"He may see spot duty and if he plays well, spot duty may get to nine minutes like the other night" in the opener, Jordan said before Saturday night's game. "Look, he's a special sort of player even though he's young. He works hard, he's not afraid, he's athletic, he has good hands, good touch, good feel defensively and can really cover the rim so we're not shy about putting him in the game." Eddie Jordon Post

Talk is cheap...!!! Isn't this what you are looking for in a center that "gets minutes"????

Eddie please stop letting the games dictate who you play and you start to do the "DICTATING"...!!! You put in your players you want and let the other team play off of you instead you playing off of them...?????

Can somebody say "Joe Gibbs vs. Jim Zorn"... Eddie why don't you be Zorn this year instead Gibbs like you have the past 5 years.....???? Start doing the punching instead of receiving the punches....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 3, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

So, in other words, you're making sweeping generalizations without actually knowing all of the facts. Otherwise know as business as usual.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"That's why I'm now basing my opinion on last year when they both started."

Would that be the year when Stevenson averaged 30 mpg and 11 ppg and Haywood averaged 28 mpg and 10 ppg?

Yeah, that's a whopping difference there. Clearly Haywood had Stevenson outclassed.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Songalia had 1 rebound in 27 minutes. 1 rebound! he was
our "center." wtf? Wallace had his way the entire second-half and
did whatever he wanted. that's fine if Jordan wants to bench Blatche
for the rest of the first half for getting beat twice in a row by
Kwame. but sticking with Songalia as our center down the stretch,
while we we're getting crushed on the boards and giving up baskets
down low at will, is unacceptable.

Songalia was horrible in the second-half. he's one of the slowest
players in the league, and Eddie has him in against one of the
quickest front lines of Wallace, Maxiell, and McDyess. I couldn't
believe McGhee didn't get in the game, at least to throw a different
look at Wallace, and maybe so we could get some goddamn rebounds!
songalia at center down the stretch is why we lost.

Posted by: tmilt27@aol.com | November 3, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

What can EJ do?

Oh, I don't know; how about try to rip his two "centers" for pulling down combined 3 rebounds in 46 minutes like he rip AB in the public?

Listen, if EJ is correct in ripping AB in the public for "not bring it," then why has he kept quite on how poor his centers have performed in the rebounding department? It is clear that EJ applies double standards in dealing with his players, unless he thinks 49-24 discrepancy in rebounding is OK! Sure Wizards have performed well in some area; in fact, had they not allowed Pistons to grabbed 16 (11 more than Wizards) offensive rebounds than Wizards, they might have won.

Posted by: sagaliba | November 3, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

You're famous for taking someone's words out of context and distorting them to fit your argument whether it's valid or not. It's not exactly a 'sweeping generalization' to watch a guy play for a couple of seasons and determine whether he can play or not. DS has started every game over the last 2 years for us. Who doesn't know by now whether he can play or not? Haywood has started 129 out of a possible 157 games for us over the same span. He also had to deal with the mind games 2 years ago that DS has never had to deal with.
Funny how you spout stats over their careers and not just over the past couple or relevant years. This will of course skew the numbers in favor of your (weak) argument.
Try as you might, everyone here knows that your sole reason for being here is not to make cogent comments about our team. You're here to try to make denigrating remarks refuting everything that anyone else says. You're completely transparent, dude.

Posted by: original_mark | November 3, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

tmilt27 and sagaliba are exactly right, IMO. No way Songaila should be out there at C. No way. If EJ is gonna teach lessons, teach them to all players and not just the young ones.

Posted by: original_mark | November 3, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Prior to last season, clearly EJ considered Etan to be on par with Haywood, as he allowed the two to compete for starting job and even awarded Etan the staring job on 06-07.

This season he has Etan while last season he had Haywood, so why are EJ's hands tied if the two are indeed comparable as EJ has judged (and EJ should know as he coached them for all of his years here)? Shouldn't we at least expect Wizards to perform like they did last season when Gil was out? Young has one more year under his belt, Dixon is replacing Mason, and we have a promising rookie in McGee. I think saying EJ's hands are tied is in fact ripping EJ's ability in judging players!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 3, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"Funny how you spout stats over their careers and not just over the past couple or relevant years.

Funny how (A) you only consider "relevant" the parts of the historical record you think support your argument, conveniently ignoring the bigger picture, and (B) you ignored my specific comparison of their performances last year.

"It's not exactly a 'sweeping generalization' to watch a guy play for a couple of seasons and determine whether he can play or not."

But it is a sweeping generalization to make proclamations about player's worth based on past performance while ignoring the actual detailed facts of those performances.

"DS has started every game over the last 2 years for us. Who doesn't know by now whether he can play or not? Haywood has started 129 out of a possible 157 games for us over the same span."

Yeah, and those 28 games Haywood didn't start (but still played in), somehow don't count, right? Please. You're so full of it, it's ridiculous.

"Try as you might, everyone here knows that your sole reason for being here is not to make cogent comments about our team."

Last I checked, both Haywood and Stevenson played for "our team."

"DS avgd. about 30 and 31 minutes while BTH was at 23 and 28 over the last 2 years. This is a fact."

It is a fact, it's just not a fact that helps your argument that Haywood is a god and Stevenson is a bum. Based on the full perspective of their careers, they're both perfectly average starting players at their positions. Hell, even stick with just last year, Haywood's numbers were still only average for a starting C, just as Stevenson's were for a starting SG.

"You're here to try to make denigrating remarks refuting everything that anyone else says"

No, just the things they say that constitute blatant, biased distortion of the truth falsely and hypocritically presented as "fact."

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

EJ's hands are tied. Either he goes with a very inexperienced, raw 7-footer in the starting lineup or a veteran who is no more than a backup. BTH is sorely missed on both the defensive end and for his good offensive rebounding skills. Not a superstar, but BTH's skills blended well with the other starters and he was a very consistent force that kept other teams centers from scoring at will...as I remember, he completely took Wallace out his game last year, which why we beat them 2 out of 3 from Detroit, did a good job against KG where we won 3 of 4 from Boston, and against Z for Cleveland.

People suggesting starting NY seem to forget that we need scoring off the bench and he'll get his minutes playing with the 1st team. I think DSS will start hitting his 3's more often and can slide over to PG when NY enters the game. DSS is the only Wizards guard who remotely plays good defense.

People need to realize this team is missing 2 of its 5 starters, and its not like EG could trade for a starting center during training camp. AB got yanked for good reason: he should have been totally embarrassed by letting a player as limited as Kwame Brown score easy layups. AB is a prime example of a young player who should have went to college for a couple of years to mature as a player and person. The Wiz have babied him through a lot off the court, and he's failed to deliver after being given $'s and playing time.

I'd rather see the Wizards start McGee and see what he can do early in the game to at least try to defend the paint. Bring in ET to provide some muscle and have D-Song play the 4 where he belongs. He's 6 9" with no leaping ability and has no hope playing the 5 which is why we got killed on the boards against Detroit.

Posted by: wizfan89 | November 3, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I agree with most of that, Wizfan, esp. the part about Young. Significant scoring off the bench is something the Wiz have been looking for for years. Young had a great game and hopefully he'll keep it up. But the bench is the best place for him right now.

Where I disagree is on McGee starting. I do think he should be in the rotation, if only for limited minutes. But I think bringing him off the bench (but still playing him with the first unit) would lessen the pressure on him.

Basically, the Wiz don't have any good, surefire options or easy solutions.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

LMAO!

Anybody who has a problem with small ball, deal with it. Doesn't matter if you're in the majority or minority on this issue...the only person who counts thinks this:

---------------------------------------------

Jordan was particularly encouraged by the way his team performed in the second quarter. Thanks in large part to a smaller lineup that included Darius Songaila at center, Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler at forward, and Nick Young and Juan Dixon at guard, the Wizards had a 16-0 run and found a groove that had been lacking throughout most of the preseason and in their season-opening loss to New Jersey.

Those players and others who performed well Saturday night will be the focal point of Jordan's planning going into Wednesday's game against the Bucks (2-2).

"It's not what you do, but who did it, and I liked the guys that did the things we were supposed to do, so that's step one," Jordan said. "Step two is, can we continue to build on it? We'll have [two] days of practice again, so that kind of throws off your rhythm as far as playing games, but we can get a little rest, look at some tape, work on some things and play well Wednesday."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 3, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

LMAO!

---------------------------------------------

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 3, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

ANyway, for all those that are really interested in the team and not other posters, here's Hollinger's take on Songaila...

2007-08 season: Theoretically, having a big guy shoot 91.8 percent from the line is fantastic, but it's only relevant if he gets to the line more than once a game. Sadly, Songaila's best skill went mostly unused. He ranked 58th out of the league's 62 power forwards in free-throw attempts per field-goal attempt; combined with his dip to 45.8 percent from the floor, his TS% went from a positive to a major liability, ranking only 47th-best at his position.

That's an issue, since Songaila was out there to make shots. He's a below average rebounder and defender, and while he's a decent high-post passer (ninth among power forwards in assist rate, 13th in pure point rating), the Wizards picked him up for second-unit offense.

He didn't provide enough, averaging only 12.7 points per 40 minutes, and the sudden dip in free throws was a big reason. Shockingly, this came even though he probably got more post-up chances than in the past five years combined.

Scouting report: Songaila has been an excellent mid-range shooter for most of his career, but he slumped to 39.4 percent on long 2s last season. As a high-post big guy whose job it is to help keep the middle open for everyone else, he has to cash in more often. He moves well without the ball and gets himself some easy buckets this way, but the J remains his bread and butter

Washington also called his number quite a bit from the left block, which was odd since he's not much of a post player. He likes to drive right and spin back left for a little flip shot or a jump hook, but this isn't a play that will keep opposing coaches up at night.

Defensively, Songaila is below average. He moves his feet OK but is an inch short for the position, can't elevate to block shots, and is a poor rebounder. He is physical, at least, but he only drew four offensive fouls all season -- a non-shot blocker like him should at least be able to stay on the floor and cause some turnovers that way.

Posted by: original_mark | November 3, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Basically, the Wiz don't have any good, surefire options or easy solutions.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"No one here has ever made any proclamation granting godlike status to Haywood. What we HAVE done is state the fact (backed up by that boob Hollinger's system)that BTH is a better player than Etan. Period. I also never said Deshawn. What i said is that he's average. In previous posts, I've said repeatedly that he's one of the few players that tries to consistently play D but as a wing player, he relies on help but gets very little."

Now it's "we" as if gathering phantom allies gives you argument anymore weight. I esp. like the part where you call the guy whose data is the basis for your argument a "boob," because that certainly lends credibility to your point.

"I also never said Deshawn. What i said is that he's average."

So is Haywood, as the full evidence of both their careers makes clear. (In fact, going by the full evidence of their careers, Stevenson has pretty clearly had a better one than Haywood.) But, as usual, you only look at the facts you think help your argument, while casually discarding anything that inconveniently doesn't fit your biased POV.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

And since you've now adopted Hollinger as your patron saint, you might be interested in his most recent sermon:

"Group I: The Fluke Rule guys

Usually, I depend on Fluke Rule players to build a quarter of my All-Decline roster, but they're a scarce breed this season. Only four players qualify for the Fluke Rule, rather than the usual six or seven. Of those, one will miss most or all of the season (Brendan Haywood) and another doesn't have a team yet (Bonzi Wells). That leaves me with a two-man Fluke Rule roster.

The same guy you cite as a "source" for Haywood's ascendancy says last season was a fluke and that, if he hadn't got hurt, Haywood would have been in for a sharp decline.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 3, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Uh, original_mark's remark definitely carries more weight than yours, kalo_rama!

Talking about pick and choose stats. You are notorious for saying OPec shot poorly in "meaningful" regular season games and then turned around to argue his rebounding number in those same games are meaningless because he played in "garbage time!"

News for you, your buddy Songaila rebounds poorly in "meaningful regular season games!"

Posted by: sagaliba | November 3, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Remember 2 years ago when the Wizs were 2nd in scoring at midyear and GA had the national interview with Charles B. of TNT and CB badgered him about the Wiz having no defense and GA tries to make the claim that their scoring was beating teams, Showtime. i.e. the Lakers. If you remember the 2nd half of the season EJ concentrated on defense and screwed up the chemistry of a successful run and gun scoring team, killed BH minutes for ET, disciplined GA, and limped to the playoffs because of it. GA had it right, this is a run and gun team, an "Offensive Team" and they have the players to win scoring the ball. Ask Avery Johnson about killing outstanding offense for the sake of good defense. Like Charles Barkely, Dallas did not get the Ring. Dallas lost because they cound not score, not because they did not have any defense. Start JM w/AB backup, bench AD and start either NY or JD and let this team run. Again, if EJ doesn't figure this out, EG if you read this blog, fire him.

Bringing it hard, LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 3, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

There is a difference between collecting stats and the analysis of the stats. Using the stats Hollinger collected and agreeing with his analysis are tow different things! Got Statistics 101, no?

Posted by: sagaliba | November 3, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

There is a difference between collecting stats and the analysis of the stats. Using the stats Hollinger collected and agreeing with his analysis are tow different things! Ever taken Statistics 101, no?

Posted by: sagaliba | November 3, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse