Terrible Loss Makes Wizards 1-10

It was deep inside the historical walls of Madison Square Garden several years back where Michael Ray Richardson coined the now famous saying: "The ship be sinking."

Man, does that sound like the Wizards right now or what?

I had a feeling the night wasn't going to go Washington's way when Malik Rose (Malik Rose!) threw up a pump fake and drove to the basket for an easy score in the first quarter. Malik Rose? Really?

In the end, the Wizards were thumped by a team that employed the shortest guy in the league (Nate Robinson), a guy who wears Pony sneakers (Wilson Chandler), a bunch of role players and not a single big man.

The Knicks made 16 three-pointers and all of the hustle plays needed to dispatch of the Wizards tonight. They outscored Washington 31-28 in the fourth with little Nate Robinson doing heavy damage.

When it came time to go into the locker room and grab quotes, the place was nearly empty. Obviously, few folks wanted to talk about this one. As usual, Antawn Jamison - being the pro that he is - was ready for the mics and notepads.

Asked if he's ever been 1-10 in his life at anything, Jamison put his head down and then shook it from side to side.

"Never," he said. "I wasn't 1-10 in Golden State and we won 10 games one year."

Actually, the Warriors never one fewer than 17 games when Jamison wore the blue and gold but you get the point.

-Eddie Jordan sat Caron Butler for the entire second quarter after Butler was largely on the receiving end of six Quentin Richardson 3's in the first quarter.

"I just thought that we didn't have the defensive discipline that we needed to control the game defensively and I thought he was part of it so I took him out to see if anybody else could do a better job and I thought we came back a little bit in the second quarter," Jordan said.

For the record, after Richardson dropped that classic, he was asked a follow up question: "How far can it sink?"

Ray: "Sky's the limit."

Enough said.

By Ivan Carter |  November 23, 2008; 3:11 AM ET
Previous: Wizards at Knicks | Next: About 2010

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Is this guy kidding me? Have the Wizards ever had any defense discipline since Jordan was the coach here?

People here is the only answer, in April 1996 Comcast-Spectacor purchased the 76ers from Harold Katz. That was the only thing that saved that franchise from their cheap owner. Abe sell the team to someone who is willing to spend the money it takes to compete in the NBA. PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE…..

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 23, 2008 5:23 AM

We need a coach who can instill some learning and confidence in McGee, Blatche and Young - on a consistent basis.

We need a coach who understands what rotations work and which don't, and make the necessary adjustments.

We need a coach committed to a simplier system with an emphasis on defense.

We need a coach who commands the respect of all of the players, including Arenas.

We need a coach to demand a decent player (for example, a point guard) when needed.

We need a fresh start with a new coach.

Posted by: Izman | November 23, 2008 7:10 AM

I have hesitated to blame EJ for the teams woes but I am starting to wonder if he knows what to do anymore. Last night was a complete and utter break down. All I can say is WHAT THE HELL??

Posted by: ivyleague | November 23, 2008 7:57 AM

I didn't see the game, but how does Javale McGee put up 9 points & 3 rebounds in 8 minutes, and ONLY get to play 8 minutes??!! I see the three fouls as well, but if he's putting up a point a minute and grabbing a rebound every other minute, you gotta let him play until he's DQ'd! We're 1-10, WTH?

As an aside, I stopped coming here because of all the anonymous garbage, glad to see they finally implemented logins...

Posted by: jim_arrows | November 23, 2008 8:37 AM

Posted by: h20law2000 | November 23, 2008 8:49 AM

Blatche played a good 2d quarter and never saw any real minutes in the 2d half. Songalia is a player I love but he cannot play center for any extended minutes. Blatche has two straight good games and cant get on the floor when it counts?

Posted by: h20law2000 | November 23, 2008 8:51 AM

I didn't see the game yet either (DVR) but I agree with your point totally about JaVale. Seems EJ adjusted to their small line-up insteads of making 7 SMALL PLAYERS adjust to us. Sad.

I haven't been one to blame EJ either but something has to happen, if he doesn't think our 7foot center can be effective against an under-manned, under-sized team like the Knicks then he never will.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 23, 2008 8:56 AM

"JMcgee got benched because he could not defend the post. Simple as that, they were making layups on him. He had no clue.

Posted by: h20law2000 | November 23, 2008 8:49 AM "

Oh yesss..., and that includes David Lee who had some layups on him.

JaTravel is a good prospect, but he knows nothing about getting good position and blocking out.

People on this blog and on print have been overhyping his physical ability and length of arms so much that he now thinks he can just jump over everybody and just snag the board or block everything in sight.

Well, Dennis Rodman never had mad ups, but he was a smart player and knew the art of getting into the right position for rebounds and playing tough D.

Carl Landry (1 year exp, 6-7, 19 pts) killed McGee a few times two days ago in the Houston game with dunks.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 8:59 AM

At this rate, projecting forward, Les BouleS at 1-10 right now will probably win 8-9 games this season.

Last season, the worst place Heat even won 15 games, and they were without DWade.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 9:00 AM

Posted by: h20law2000 | November 23, 2008 8:49 AM

So the Knicks scored most of their 122 points in the 8 minutes when JaVale was clueless on the court?

It's hard to defend the paint when everyone in front of you gives up uncontested shot after uncontested shot, when they allow penetration at will. Maybe JaVale's a bust and we ought to consider trading him since he's the only one on the team that is clueless defensively.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 23, 2008 9:04 AM

Ivan, can you ask EJ about his statement from last week:

------------------------------------------

"You might as well have 5-foot-6 guys if you're not going to fight," Jordan said. "If you're not going to defend the rim, come over and take people's space away and initiate the contact. We didn't have any of that from our bigs. I thought Antawn brought it up another notch and brought it in that regard but the others didn't."

-------------------------------------------

Last I checked, Nate Robinson, a 5-6 guy has torched Les BouleS twice this young season. Last night, he skied over AJ for a putback.

And, everbody knows that Earl Boykins (5-5, 133 lbs) has been eating Les BouleS lunch forever.

As the cliche goes, "it's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog"...and for Les BouleS, they are just a bunch of neutered biotches...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 9:07 AM

Oh yesss..., and that includes David Lee who had some layups on him.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 8:59 AM

He's a 20 year old player in his 11th game of his professional career.

Carl Landry had several dunks against the Wiz. How about coaching your young talent so they can achieve like other teams young prospects.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 23, 2008 9:09 AM

"He's a 20 year old player in his 11th game of his professional career.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 23, 2008 9:09 AM "

I don't blame JaTravel for yesterday's or any of the prior losses.

My words are just a wakeup call for all the people here slobbering over JaTravel as if he was Moses Malone, Hakeem, Duncan, or Shaq.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 9:12 AM

I don't blame JaTravel for yesterday's or any of the prior losses.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 9:12 AM

I hear you DC_Man, it's just natural for fans to want the best from their draft picks and I believe that he has the most potential of any draft pick we've had in a long time, he shows flashes every game.

I still dont know why you call him JaTravel. Oh yeah, I am one of those that slobbers over him. (basketball wise) He's the future.

Posted by: zxhoya | November 23, 2008 9:30 AM

This ship may or may not get righted, but after reading the article above, everybody on this blog knew what Les BouleS were getting into when they resigned Gilby for max money and dropped big money on AJ knowing full well, the weaknesses in both of these guys's games.

The team, even when fully healthy, couldn't get out of the first round of the playoffs.

EG was content to ride it out and strategize based on ASSUMING the team would EVER be fully healthy.

I guess he's learning his lesson the hard way.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 9:33 AM

I lived in Philly when the city forced Harold Katz to sell the 76ers to Comcast-Spectacor in April 1996 after he ruined that franchise. Everyone wants to blame EJ, EG or the players when it starts at the top people. It was ABE who wanted to resign AJ and Gil and until he sells the team we are stuck with an owner who does not care about winning or the fans. The only way things are going to change are if people stop going to the games, threaten to boycott the sponsors of the team so they do not want to advertise and hit the old man where it counts, in his bank account. Then he will sell the team to an owner who will go over the luxury cap to put a winning team on the floor.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 23, 2008 10:00 AM

EJ is not EG's pick in the first place. And it is no secret that the two have different opinion regarding the personnel issue (e.g., Haywood). It is time to let EG pick his own coach who shares his view, and see if his coach can utilize the roster he assembles better. Fire EJ now, so there is (close to) a whole season to observe the new coach. Wiz is not going anywhere this season anyway, what to loose?

Posted by: sagaliba | November 23, 2008 10:10 AM

When Nate Robinson is getting rebounds, and at one point he out-jumped AJ for a jump ball...when all that is happening, I think a major shakeup needs to happen. This team is going to lose HEAVILY this year and every single person on that team is at fault. Starting from the cheapskate owner that doesn't want to spend money to get required FA. To the GM that didn't know you need to acquire a capable PG when you #1 PG is coming off 2 major knee surgeries. To the coach that can't motivate his players. To the players that just tease you with their potential but never give you much consistently.

Blow the damn team up and start over.

Posted by: tundey | November 23, 2008 10:17 AM

What I would like to know is - When is Ivan and Mike Lee going to stop being Wizards homers and actually start asking for heads to roll around here? I mean, these guys have nearly unfettered access to Ernie Grunfeld and Eddie Jordan. Many fans are clearly clamoring for a change, trade, anything that can kick this team in the shorts. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if Gilbert returns as the second coming of Michael Jordan. We'll be sniffing the lottery by then!

Ask it, Ivan!!! When can we expect Eddie Jordan to be canned? What kind of trade possibilites have been explored by Ernie Grunfeld? Stop being lackies and do some real reporting.

Posted by: mmeziane | November 23, 2008 10:18 AM

Wow. So in 2010 when all these FAs are going to be available, the Wizards won't have cap room. Wow! I thought bad GMship was limited to just the Redskins.

Posted by: tundey | November 23, 2008 10:20 AM

Why would EJ go with a big lineup when the Knicks do not have a single big man on their roster?

EJ is so clueless and never forces other coaches to react to his strategy. Why not go big? Mcgee at center, blatche at PF, Jamison at SF, Butler at SG and Stevenson at point.

I mean at least try it and see what happens.

Posted by: Berghead | November 23, 2008 10:29 AM

Posted by: h20law2000 | November 23, 2008 8:51 AM

Yeah, I have always like Songaila's game, but not at center at least not for an extended period. And he just seems a step slower this year. But to me that seemed to be when we lost the game. I don't understand why he was in there when Blatche was playing well. The last 2 games Blatche seems to finally be returning to last season's form.

I thought Etan played pretty well too, but Blatche and JaVale both were looking good. When those guys are going good you gotta go with them and take advantage of their athleticism.

Dixon's gotta heat it up! Maybe Gil can loan him his Hibachi. I know he can go through cold stretches but we really need him to step it up and start hittin.

McGuire played very well. NY hit some nice shots. DeShawn didn't do anything.

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 23, 2008 10:37 AM

Having grown up with decades of Bullets/Wizards missing the playoffs, I've been very appreciative the team, and supportive of the management, the last 4 years. However, no one could look at the team's performance this year without the following conclusions:

1. This is unacceptable.
2. There has been no sign of improvement.
3. Something needs to change

As the dye has been cast on this roster, the only variables which can be changed are coaching and GM. Again referencing the limited ability to address the roster, firing EG would be ceremonial. Net-net: EJ must be fired.

Posted by: docooke | November 23, 2008 11:03 AM

The bottom line is, Eddie Jordan’s tenure here in Washington has run its course. His strengths don't mesh with the talent management has provided. Eddie is a coach who likes a small, quick team that passes well and scores points in bunches. His defensive style is based on gambling to get steals that leads to fast breaks and defending the painted area. Eddies main problem is that he refuses to adapt. Like many have said, last night was the time to play his 7 footers big minutes. NY had no 7' ball players and instead of creating mismatch problems for NY he decided to try and match up. They needed to pound the ball inside and get the NY defenders in foul trouble. Good coaches recognize when they have advantages and exploit them. I really hope Eddie gets fired sooner rather than later. Even if we get the 1st pick in next year’s draft and get Griffin, Eddie will only ruin him. No one and I mean no one can kill the spirit of a young talent like Eddie. When a young player plays well he rewards them with less minutes.

Posted by: dhbond | November 23, 2008 11:29 AM

Ivan. First I appreciate the blog you have provided for us hardcore Wizards fans. Being a Bullets fan since I was a kid during "the opera ain't over till the fat lady sings" days, I like docooke watched year after year of us not making the playoffs.

I watched GM's and and coachs come and go. Eddie has been a constant and has taken us to the playoff's all of but one year since he has been here. I appreciate his effort and that is why I have always tried to support him even when I never agreed with how he use to use Haywood and his blant sign of favoritism towards certain players.

I was so mad at the way he coached that game last night I could not sleep. Once again as I have often said, Eddie always trys to adjust to what the other team is doing instead of making the other team adjust to us.

The way he gives out his minutes is crazy. No wonder none of the players can find their flow because they never know when and how long they are going to play other then AJ.

To leave McGee, AB, OPec, and even Etan on the bench almost the whole 2nd half is just plain crazy. AB even played well the first half and did not give Eddie a reason to bench him this time. McGee only had 3 fouls.

Yes he gets moved off of the block a lot but the dude has no weight or muscle yet. Give the dude some time, what he lacks in weight and muscle he makes up with hustle and grit.

Just when we think Eddie has finally turned the corner on his rotational calls (Houston game), he goes back to his same old dysfunctional way of calling games (NY game).

I think it is time for Ernie to start looking for Eddie's replacement. He should give it to Ayers or Tabscott because I am afraid O'Koren might call games just like Eddie; and if that is the case we should go on and keep him.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 23, 2008 11:50 AM

"The coach of the worst team is gone, the fact that Thunder has worse roster than the Wiz did not save Carlesimo. People always say this is a business, so don’t be surprised when it is run like a business – it only make sense if EJ is the next in line!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 23, 2008 10:10 AM "

Les BouleS are the worst team in the league this year, not the Thunder.

The Thunder was a lottery team last season...Les BouleS were in the playoffs with 2 all stars healthy now.

Also, Les BouleS have lost to 4 lottery teams 6 times this season, and of those losses, 4 have new coaches/systems.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 11:52 AM

Everyone needs to note that Gilby said he's not coming back until next year, and in the meantime, he's GOING TO STUDY THE NEW PLAYBOOK!!!

When did EJ change the playbook?

Also, he said he needs time to get in shape? I thought he was getting in shape this past SUMMER!!!!

----------------------------------------------

"They said Jan. 1 — there is no doubt that I will be good to go ... play 40 minutes," Arenas said. "I definitely want to wait until after New Year's. ... It will give me time to get in shape. Plus I want to learn the new playbook."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 12:02 PM

IT'S THE CHEAP OWNERSHIP THAT HAS KILLED THIS FRANCHISE.

AS LONG AS ABE OWNS THE TEAM HE WILL NEVER SPEND THE MONEY IT TAKES TO PUT A WINNING TEAM ON THE FLOOR.

DO NOT BLAME THE GM SINCE HIS HANDS ARE TIED BY THE LUXURY CAP AND I AM SURE HE WAS TOLD TO RESIGN AJ AND GIL.

DON’T BLAME THE COACH, BECAUSE NO COACH COULD TURN THIS TEAM INTO WINNERS. YOU NEED PLAYERS WHO WANT TO WIN FIRST.

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER HOW LONG IT TOOK TO GET WES OUT OF THE PICTURE WHEN IT WAS VERY CLEAR TO EVERYONE HE COULD NOT COACH?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 23, 2008 12:06 PM

As for Eddie calling CB out is a bunch of hogwash. When does AJ ever get called out on all of the defensive woes he creates?

CB would be in position to get to Quinton if he was not called to double down on the ball and sag in the middle to cover DAVID LEE of all people...???!!! Sorry about that, I got confused thinking David Lee was Yao Ming, my bad...........

Ivan again can you please ask Eddie why he does not play straight "man to man" defense instead of that dang doubling down crap they play. Guys are left wide open because we leave them open to go double the ball. Guys would not be open if we stay with our assigned man and let them beat us one on one.

At least they would not have WIDE OPEN LOOKS AT THREE'S because their man would still be with them contesting the jumper. Oh yea, what if they beat their man off of the dribble and gets to the rack (WHICH EDDIE IS SO AFRAID OF), guess what we have 3 seven footers back there to play free safety.

Ooops, no we don't have them as free safeties because we have Songalia back there instead because Eddie refuses to put them in the game......!!!! My bad, that is why they pay Eddie the big dollars, and not us because we don't know what we are talking about........

Eddie this is not rocket science!!! You are constantly out thinking yourself. You have clearly shown you are to stubborn to change, so if you do not want to change the way you play defense and want to continue to play "mind games" with the young players on the team, it is now time then for Ernie to pull the trigger and find your replacement.

One more thing, you got your check for next year but what about your assistants? Your stubborness might cost them their jobs. If all of them agree with the way you play sub's and play defense then they need to go too.

But by chance if any of them have questioned the way you play defense and the way you call rotational calls in a game you might want to start listing to them.

You are real close to losing your team right now. You did not need to call CB out like that and then punish AB with a good game from last night with giving him hardly no minutes last night. Again, what is your fixation with Song. playing the "5" spot???????? HE IS A 4 NOT A 5, WHEN WILL YOU EVER SEE THAT.....???????

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 23, 2008 12:15 PM

Here's a classic to give everyone the warm fuzzies on another cold day:

--------------------------------------------

On a larger scale, Jordan wants to win now. Like any coach who signed a two-year extension with a team option for the third year last summer, the continuity line gets old.

"But I understand Mr. Pollin's standpoint," Jordan said. "We want to stay within a certain budget for the Washington Wizards. We're not going to be like four or five or six other teams that can do anything it takes to win. Those are decisions we made within the organization. It doesn't bother me. There are times when you say, 'How come we can't get this guy?' But then you say, 'These are the parameters the organization has set.' "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 12:17 PM

And I've been calling for that for the last three or four years. He just hasn't gotten in down. A change in tone and philosophy is needed.

Posted by: CDon | November 23, 2008 12:17 AM

Wait, u mean the last 3 or 4 games not 3 or 4 years isn it?? r u kiddin me or wat??

Posted by: forbid | November 23, 2008 12:33 AM

No, I mean the last three or four years because this team has not cured any of the problems that have plagued it during EJ's entire tenure. Quite frankly, barely making the playoffs every year then being ousted in the first round is tiresome. Watching small ball nonsense with Songaila at the 5 is tiresome. Watching a defensive philosophy that gives up tons of 3-point attempts and makes a year is tiresome. The terrible rotations that leave effective players on the bench for long stretches is tiresome. Letting one player (Arenas) essentially run the team and determine its direction is tiresome. Nothing has changed in EJ's years in Washington. They need a new voice, someone who takes a harder line. Take this season for instance. Wizards still have a lot of talent out there, but they're not going to outscore people. So why not focus on playing good, solid defense? Not under EJ. And not with this personnel (more the fault of the front office). It's time for someone new. You've locked in two players for years and cash, so your only recourse is changing coaches and hoping that works out.

Posted by: CDon | November 23, 2008 12:20 PM

As for why the Wiz lost ... same reason they lost last time. The Knicks did whatever they wanted from behind the 3 pt line and the Wiz did nothing to stop or slow them down. The Knicks shot almost 45% from 3 pt range, scoring 40% of their points from behind the arc. Those are obscene numbers. It had nothing to do with McGee and the post, and everything to do with the Wiz's continuing inability (or unwillingness) to close on shooters. It's not like the Knicks were posting up, drawing double teams, and kicking the ball out for 3 point shots. And they didn't do a whole lot of drive and dish, either. The Knicks were pushing the ball up the floor in transition (off makes and misses) pulling up two steps behind the line and letting it fly, or passing the ball around the perimeter (with the Wiz "defense" scrambling like headless chickens) until they (inevitably) found someone open.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 12:28 PM

Everyone relax. We'll get a high draft pick out of this debacle and we'll have a new coach next season. It's not like anyone expected this team to contend with Boston or Cleveland for the conference title anyway. Remember when everybody thought Eddie was the brains of the coaching staff when New Jersey was winning in 2001-2002 and Byron Scott was supposedly just the face of the coaching staff? I wonder what everyone thinks now. Eddie is either coaching scared or doesn't have what it takes.

Posted by: Firuz1 | November 23, 2008 1:02 PM

DC_MAN88

Great link I have been trying to tell everyone on here it starts at the top and the GM and Coach's hands are tied by the cheap owner. Fire ABE they did it in Philly with Harold Katz because the fans quit going to the games and they had about 3,000 fans some evenings. Once ABE starts losing money he will sell the team but I do not think this town can do it.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 23, 2008 1:05 PM

DC_MAN88

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 23, 2008 1:05 PM

bulletsfan78 - Trust me, just about everybody on this site would love to have Ted Lenonis running this club, but please do not use the "cheap owner" arguement here. The Wiz are are almost right near the salary cab max. So how can you say the owner is being cheap?

I thought it was a good idea to resign Gilbert and AJ. No other owner was probably trying to pay that kind of money to the both of them, so how is he being cheap?

Now was it a smart move? At this time it does not look so, however the man stepped up and retained his two stars. So please enough with the this is all Abe's fault stuff.

You need to look at the coach and how he is calling defensive sets and calling rotational calls in games. This is where our problem is. I now can account for 4 games where Eddie's coaching was the main cause for the lost.

Eddie is suspect now that he does not have Gilbert, Haywood and a healthy AD playing for him. Also please let me not forget Mr. Mason. Again, I believe Gilbert had something to do with them resigning Stevenson when there was not ONE team even offering him a contract.

5 or 10 years ago your arguement about Abe being cheap would have held water, but no more. They are right at the salary cap max for spending, so again how is he being cheap?????

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 23, 2008 1:23 PM

"Eddie is suspect now that he does not have Gilbert, Haywood and a healthy AD playing for him."

Every coach would be "suspect" if they were forced to play without 2 starters (including the franchise player), and one of their top reserves. Jordan is starting guys who would 3rd or 4th string if everyone was healthy.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 1:37 PM

"People really need to stop with all of the constant nonsense pissing and moaning at Carter and Lee for being "homers" for not publicly ripping Jordan, or Grunfeld, or Pollin, or anyone else. Hate to break it to you, but their job is not to be the mouthpiece for fan outrage or agents of fan-mandated change. They're journalists. Their job is to document and report what happens. The Washington Post is a newspaper. If you want someone to feed and validate your anger and outrage, try sports talk radio.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 12:28 PM "

Are you new to DC?

If you are, I guess you've never heard of Richard Justice or Tony K. whose job in the past was to write personal opinion columns pieces on local and national sports.

Ivan and Mike aren't robots, and have offered some opinions here and there in their articles and even host a weekly chat where they offer opinions too, not just beat coverage.

Tony K. of course, coined the phrase "Curse of Les Boulez" and that wasn't from being a beat writer.

Currently, Tom Boswell does this along with Wilbon at times, and if you read today's Post, you would read another personal opinion column from George Solomon.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 1:40 PM

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 1:44 PM

BulletsFever:

Go to this link and look at the teams who have a chance to win the championship. Then look at where the Wizards are. If the owner last year would not exceed the luxury cap to have enough players to practice that is cheap. Why didn't they resign Mason? It would have put them over the luxury cap that is cheap. If he doesn't want to spend his money to go over the cap then get out of the NBA because it takes a commitment to win and that means spending more then the cap. Look at Boston's payroll.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 23, 2008 1:45 PM

"Korheiser, Justice, Solomon, and Wilbon are columnists. Columnists are paid to write their opinions. Lee and Carter are beat reporters. Reporters are paid to report facts.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 1:44 PM "

Yes, and as I said, these so called "beat reporters" host a weekly chat offering up personal opinions and observations. See for yourself.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 1:48 PM

Then look at the payroll of all those other teams that are over the luxury tax threshold (there is no "luxury cap"). How many of them have come close to winning a title? BTW, the Pistons were well below the tax threshold when they won the title.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 1:48 PM

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 1:51 PM

Here's the answer to my question about the playbook:

------------------------------------------

Wizards Ticket Holder: Mr. Arenas said he is targeting the start of 2009 to return to playing, that "I definitely want to wait until after New Year's. ... It will give me time to get in shape. Plus I want to learn the new playbook."

Forgetting his other comments about finishing last so the Wizards can get the next Tim Duncan, what am I missing? He's a multi-million dollar a year playr and he hasn't started to learn the playbook?

Ivan Carter: I have no idea what he's talking about there. Yes, the offense has been tweaked but he's been at every practice and game since camp started. Chalk that up to Gilbertology I guess.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 1:51 PM

- Fire Grunfield

- Fire Jordan

- Hire Avery Johnson

Please!!!

Posted by: Immahomer | November 23, 2008 1:53 PM

"They offer up a weekly chat answering questions submitted by readers, said answers being based on the info they glean from covering the team as beat reporters, which is not the same thing as what Wilbon and Kornheiser do as columnists, where they are free to rip anyone they like.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 1:51 PM "

Don't twist it again.

You said they were beat reporters who report on games and results.

You must not read their online discussion where THEY DO OFFER THEIR OPINIONS!!!

Drop it dude...you're wrong, and it's not the first time.

Look, here's an opinion by Ivan:

------------------------------------------

Ivan Carter: Ernie Grunfeld is in full control. I really don't know what kind of breaking point he/Abe Pollin would have as far as Eddie Jordan is concerned because the team picked up his option for next season already. Also, if you really look at the way this team has been built and given the injuries to Haywood and Arenas as well as Abe's refusal to pay the tax, can Eddie Jordan really be blamed for this?

Maryland: Despite the losses this year, shouldn't Brendan Haywood feel a little vindicated? He's always wanted more minutes. He's always been the best defender and center on the team. Jordan responded by playing Ruffin, Songaila, and Etan over him during the past five years.

Ivan Carter: Trust me, he feels very vindicated.

Tampa, Fla.: Arenas now says he won't play until after New Years and feels confident he can go 40 minutes per at that point. Can he save this club? How is Haywood post-surgery

Ivan Carter: The last two years have taught me one thing about Gilbert Arenas and his knee situation: Anything he or the team says about a timetable is pure speculation. I will believe it when he is actually on the court playing a game and not dragging that leg around the way he was late last season in the playoffs.

Ivan Carter: It was a little bit shocking to me to hear Eddie Jordan once again talk about Andray's lack of conditioning the other day. I mean, the guy is in his fourth NBA season. That should not be an issue. Until he cares as much about basketball as he does living the NBA life, Andray may never realize his potential. It's shame because this team could really benefit from talents right now.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 1:57 PM

"Their job is to document and report what happens. The Washington Post is a newspaper. If you want someone to feed and validate your anger and outrage, try sports talk radio.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 12:28 PM ""

You don't need sports radio when you currently have people like Mike Wise, Boswell, and Wilbon on the roster to blast the team.

If anyone read sports or the "Obama" election in the Post, you'd realize that the Wash. Post is not shy about interjecting opinions.

I can see why Ivan and Mike are holding back a bit for now though, because they rely on having access to the coaches/management/players in order to do their jobs, and if they burn those bridges, both will be shut out.

But, as I've said before, both Ivan and Mike walk that fine line while interjecting with light jabs here and there, and the Post isn't just about reporting X's and O's.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 2:09 PM

BulletsFever:

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 23, 2008 1:45 PM

bulletsfan78 - Trust me I feel your pain. But Abe does not have the spending power of these other owners, so it is what it is. Last year was when I was upset because we could not even get enough people to hold practices. That is when I was calling Abe cheap also.

Other then that, they have enough people to practice now, it is just that we do not have a pure point guard right now who can also score. That is one of the main things that is killing us. Maybe I blame this on Ernie, or is it Abe?

As for the defense we are playing, that is all on Eddie or Ayers. I think Eddie because it looks like it always has the past 4 years.

A

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 23, 2008 2:23 PM

Posted by: CDon | November 23, 2008 7:37 PM

A few thoughts after watching last nights game:

What amazes me is not only the open looks that the Wiz opponents get beyond the three line but their accuracy. I don't think they would do any worse if they had their eyes shut. Obviously they feel "in the zone" against the Wiz and are willing to throw up anything beyond the three point line. In contrast the Wiz don't seem to be able to answer with their own three pointers. Obviously they're not in the zone.

This is the first time I've gotten a good long look at Maguire. Based on what I saw, why doesn't he get more minutes at power forward. Maybe even start with AJ coming off the bench?

The Wiz had their best season with Gilbert and Hughs in the back court with CB, AJ and BH up front. That's gone and it shows.

DC_Man88, you use the word "speculation" regarding statements about when Arenas
will be back. I think you're are being polite. There's a better word for it.

Posted by: browneri | November 23, 2008 8:07 PM

"DCMAN, kalorama is right about the roles of guys like Lee and Carter. You're wrong in this instance. Ivan and Mike are supposed to report the facts, not insert their own opinions. It's not their jobs to present their opinions and to serve as a mouthpiece for fans who are ticked off at the team. Reporters and columnists have different job responsibilities.

Posted by: CDon | November 23, 2008 7:37 PM "

It's not about right or wrong. It's about what they do.

If you got a problem with it, get in touch with Post sports editor.

Knock yourself out.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 23, 2008 8:13 PM

Who are you guys up top talking about JM cannot defend the post. Name one player on the team now that is playing that can defend the post better than he. You guys have to stop wishing for what you do not have and go with what you got. Put JM in the post and leave him there.

And to the guy that asked, why is DB still in the league? He's in the league because he is the best point guard the Wizs have on the team right Now!

Go with what you got or donot go at all.

There are three guys on this team that do not deserve any PT. These three do not fit this team. This team is a Run and Gun team and if they ain't Runnin and Gunnin, they ain't going to win Jack Eddie Jordan and all you other bloggers that think we can win any other way but that.

Them three guys that ought to never get off the bench are ET, DSon, and AD. They donot fit this team and as long as Eddie keeps giving them PT, Same Ole Curtain Call.

Put DB in at point guard and lets run till the cows come home. Enough already. Basketball ain't that hard.

Look aroung the league and find me a coach like Eddie Jordan and I bet his record would be 1 and 10, cause there ain't no coach in the league that coaches like he does.

Eddie Jordan is like that certain cousin that comes over or that certain friend that shows up and everybody goes, Aw...Who...Oh Noooo....Not Johnny, Not Jack, Not Charles, Not Eddie, Oh my God.

Folks, Like my Daddy use to say, If You Don't Know You Better Ask Somebody!!!

Hint: It aint the players, IT IS EDDIE JORDAN.

Your know I'd bet, that if Eddie benched those three and let DB run the point and he kept himself on the bench for entire game the Wiz's would win by 20 points.

Double Down On It.

LarryInClintoMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 23, 2008 8:32 PM

I keep repeating myself when I say most of the players should not be receiving major playing time in the NBA. Does E Gr really believe Etan, Stevenson, Dixon, D Brown,Songala, or Pech can make a difference in winning and loosing. NO COACH CAN WIN WITHOUT TALENT.

Posted by: kcandlc | November 24, 2008 12:08 AM

I agree with kcandlc 100%.

Essentially we have 2 camps here. One says the team has the talent and lacks competent coaching.

The other says that the talent just isn't there.

To me the latter position is obviously correct. At this point you only have 3 established NBA starters, AJ, CB and DStevenson, and none of them is of superstar quality. The other guys range from has-beens (AD, ET) to marginal role players (JD, DSong) to projects (NY, JMac) to guys who probably don't have the talent to make it in the league (DB, OPech, DMac).

Just how people expect EJ to win with such a bad group of players is totally beyond me.

EG needs to go, and let the new GM decide to what to do about EJ. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Posted by: shovetheplanet | November 24, 2008 8:46 AM