The Other Side: Miami Heat Again

Editor's note: Michael Lee is still out of the country, but here are a couple of items from the Miami newspapers ...

According to the Sun-Sentinel's Ira Winderman, Dwyane Wade will play through the pain of his sprained right ankle tonight against the Wizards:

No way, Wade said, will it keep him out of tonight's game against the Wizards.
"That's not my goal, to make people think I can make it through the whole season," he said of the latest advertising campaign for his sneakers. "I want to play the whole season.
"It's not about making other people believe that. I just want to be out here every game with my teammates, as we continue to grow."
Having missed 31 games in each of the past two seasons, Wade appreciates the here-we-go-again murmurs whenever he is wobbled, the doubts he refers to in his latest commercials. But he insists he isn't going anywhere but back on the court after his Sunday misstep in Toronto.
"I've had many sprained ankles," he said, "so I kind of know how to play on them."

Meanwhile, Heat rookie Michael Beasley is back in the Washington area for the first time as an NBA player. Beasley, who grew up in Prince George's County, told the Miami Herald that he had to turn off his phone yesterday and vowed not to let his homecoming be a distraction. ''I understand my fans are going to be here watching, but I've still got a job to do,'' he said.

How to you think the Wizards will do against Wade, Beasley and the rest of the Heat tonight?

By Alexa Steele |  November 18, 2008; 9:48 AM ET
Previous: MMPG: The FourCast | Next: It Really Comes Down to Effort

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

hmm play lethargically again and lose? Maybe one or two highlight dunk from JaVale but everyone else mails it in.

Posted by: tundey | November 18, 2008 10:10 AM

Are you Serious? No one cares, this the "Wizards Insider." No one is asking you to be a homer, just asking you to do your job.....

Posted by: jovani214 | November 18, 2008 10:16 AM

LIKE NIKE.... JUST "DO IT" EDDIE....

Starters
McGee - 5
AJ - 4
CB - 3
NY - 2
Juan - 1

2nd Unit
AB - 5
Song - 4
DMac - 3
Stevenson - 2
Brown - 1

Starters get 30 to 35 minutes....

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 18, 2008 10:34 AM

How sad is it that the season has just started and you post more information about other teams on the Wizard insider blog then about the Wizards. Why don't you write about a former Wizard who is playing better then any guard that is on the Wizard's roster and tell us the real reason the Wizards let him go and signed Juan? Do a little reporting (I am sorry you work for the Washington Post) and ask the guys in the front office why are they so cheap? Ask them if they really want to win why do they make stupid moves and sign garbage players? Find out why they will not lower ticket prices since they are putting an inferior product on the court.

Go Roger, I am a former Our Lady of Good Counsel High School grad and I am glad you are out of town and do not have to play with these losers any more. At least now you have a chance to win a championship.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 18, 2008 10:38 AM

I was ridiculed for saying last year that RM was doing a pretty good job at the point. He wasn't getting burned (like AD) and kept guys honest for the most part by at least appearing to be a threat to shoot. Didn't Jaren Jackson do the same thing ? Go from Washington to SA as a key component in a title run?

As for the question of what we'll do tonight...what has changed since Friday?
As long as our all stars play like journeymen, we're gonna lose. This scoring by committee thing doesn't work. We aparently need a star to make our offense go. That star is out rehabbing his knee right now. I'd look at last year and say that we are fine without Gilbert but perhaps AJ's age (and the fact that he gets beat up playing against guys bigger and stronger) has caught up to him. I'm not even asking for a radical change from Ej but at least put a third scoring option in the staring lineup. NY should be out there instead of DS. Songaila should never get off the bench besides huddles and intermissions. His 2 good passes per game don't justify his minutes. Start JM and play him 40 minutes. Period. He's 20. He can run forever. We need his energy and shotblocking to help negate CB and AJ's poor defense. Play Juan rather than AD. . AD can't do it anymore...at least not hurt.

As I have stated for the last few years, there's no way we EVER become a good defensive team with AJ and CB starting. We have to score a lot or we'll lose. Occasionally we'll win a low scoring game but I think those are anomalies. The only question for me is whether we take the steps to become an adequate defensive team. That means starting the right mix of defense minded frontcourt guys to cover the defensive shortcomings of AD, CB and AJ.

Will EJ pull the trigger and do it tonight? Probably not. His comments about intensity and all make it seem as though he doesn't recognize the physical limitations of the starters. Eddie, you can't 'use the force' and make a weak team strong. It's gonna take more than mental toughness for your old starting lineup to succeed consistently.

I see us losing tonight the same way we lost on Friday as long as EJ subs the same way.

Posted by: original_mark | November 18, 2008 11:54 AM

What's going on with MG anyway? I keep hearing about his promise but he's hardly ever used. Is he just one of those Wiz players who'll have to elswhere to prove how good he is?

Posted by: browneri | November 18, 2008 12:04 PM

One final comment about smallball... I think the thing that kills us with small ball is that Songaila is the center and he doesn't rebound...or score...or defend well.
If we decided to start running, we'd have a better chance of winning. I can't talk enough about how important it is to shoot 3's, either. We need to have a greyhound lineup with Juan at pg speeding up the tempo. NY, CB, AB and JM round out the lineup. 2nd unit could be Juan/Dee, Deshawn, AB (at PF) and Etan. Until we get our real team back and healthy we're overmatched. This is the time when the wheat is separated from the chaff. The good coaches make changes and try to adapt. The bad ones keep beating the dead horse.
Our present starting lineup is deader than Secretariat.

Posted by: original_mark | November 18, 2008 12:07 PM

Posted by: rfzonadc | November 18, 2008 12:23 PM

Sorry original Mark, I thought your were reffering to Maguire. However, my question still stahds.

Posted by: browneri | November 18, 2008 12:24 PM