Thursday Update: Daniels Might Rest

The Wizards just finished practice here at Verizon Center and will fly to Miami later this afternoon for tomorrow night's game against the Heat.

The only injury/availability update involves point guard Antonio Daniels, who started and played just under 13 minutes last night after missing Saturday's loss in Orlando with soreness in his right knee.

Daniels appeared to still be hurting on that knee last night but he also did not appear to be pleased about his limited action. (I have to be careful and say "appear" because I have not yet spoken with Daniels about it. He was out of the locker room before I got a chance to catch him last night and he was gone after practice today).

Anyway, that vibes with Antonio's personality. He's a proud vet, a guy who comes early and stays late, takes care of his body and is a true professional so I would expect him to want to play through an injury.

Jordan on Daniels: "He's probably going to take some days off and he probably won't play tomorrow, most likely won't play tomorrow and then we have three days off again so we have a lot of time, " Jordan said.

If Daniels indeed sits, that would make Juan Dixon a starter again. Dixon started in Orlando Saturday night and finished with 8 points on 3 of 8 shooting with four rebounds, two assists and two turnovers last night. Dixon has never been anything like a true point guard -- unless that point guard was playing a game of one-on-one of course -- but he said he's become far more comfortable in that role since his first turn with the Wizards.

"That's something I've become more comfortable with over the years in the NBA," Dixon said. "I always knew I was capable, it was just learning the position. My whole life, I've been a scorer. I shot the ball better than my peers so coaches tended to put me on the wings. Now, I have an opportunity here to show Coach Jordan and the staff that I can do other things."

More on Dixon: "When I was in Toronto with Sam Mitchell, the offense really ran through the point guard and I'd like to thank him for that. I didn't do as well as I wanted but I learned a lot of things. T.J. Ford is a good friend of mine and I watched him a lot. He's been playing point guard his whole life and he gave me pointers. Jose Calderon as well. Both of those guys helped me a lot."

-Jordan on forcing 18 turnovers last night and blocking 10 shots (they had blocked 19 in the first five games): "We got our hands on a lot of balls, deflections, steals, blocked shots, kept the ball alive on the glass. ... I think that was one of their comments, that we controlled the paint, defensively, rebounding wise. And it started early. You sort of feed off of that. You get that frenzied attitude."

-Caron Butler on why he calls rookie JaVale McGee (from now on known as The Future in this space) "lemonhead."

"Just look at him. You see the box of lemonheads and you see the little smiley face on there and you put that up to JaVale and he looks just like him. I'm mean identical."

So "Lemonhead" now joins "Stewie" otherwise known as Oleksiy Pecherov.

Butler: "We've got Stewie, we've got lemonhead. Man we've got a lot of stuff going on around here."

-For the record, and I understand that it's early, if you averaged out McGee's numbers to 48 minutes, he'd be putting up 21.4 points, 16.9 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game. Not bad.

Now, a question for you faithful readers: Based on what you've seen, and if you could have one or the other right now, would you take McGee or Greg Oden?

I'd probably take McGee and not think too hard about it.

Thoughts?

By Ivan Carter |  November 13, 2008; 1:59 PM ET
Previous: Relief Comes With a Win | Next: Wizards Talk About Last Night

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

lemonhead! He looks more like sam bowie, but Oden IS sam bowie.

Posted by: sunnyman1 | November 13, 2008 2:23 PM

I would take LemonHead(he does look just like the little Head on the candy box)over Oden hands down. We have just began to see what this young man is capable of and for one can't wait to see him as we approach mid-season. Especially, if he continues to get plenty of minutes. Give enough playing time, he may just end up being rook of the year. You have to see him at a real game. He was awesome last night and I for one stood up for him with pride. Go Lemon!

Posted by: ivyleague | November 13, 2008 2:30 PM

Great, great question. One thing you have to consider is their respective motors. Maybe, just maybe (I sound like Sasha Baron Cohen from "Talledega Nights...") McGee's playing with a chip on his shoulder, while Oden is just coasting. McGee has played in more NBA games & college games than Oden, that works fine for me, so I'll go with who the team drafted...

Posted by: -CN- | November 13, 2008 2:32 PM

As crazy as it sounds, I agree with the McGee over Oden comment.

McGee reminds me of an uber-athletic version of Marcus Camby (with the ability to drive to the rim) - while Oden is a dale davis/emeka okafor type that has the potential to be dominant defensively but is very limited on the offensive end.

Posted by: justreem | November 13, 2008 2:34 PM

That's an easy one: Lemonhead. Oden plays as old as he looks right now. In fact, I'm not convinced that Oden is younger than me (and I'm 44). He should be forced to produce a birth certificate.

Posted by: keithward64 | November 13, 2008 2:37 PM

JaVicious Mcgee!!!

Posted by: LooseCannon1 | November 13, 2008 2:38 PM

Trying to compare McGee (6 games as a pro) vs. Oden (1 year out from injury) this early in their careers is beyond, I'll put it in nice terms...silly.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2008 2:46 PM

My fave move:

Back to Javale, whoops I mean "The Future"

Sorry for the bad joke

GO TEAM!!!!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | November 13, 2008 2:49 PM

If Oden has to produce a birth certificate, so should LeBron!

JaVale is probably the best pick of EG's time in DC. Every dominant team needs to have a dominant big man...whether that's a 4 or a 5 man. I think he set this team up for a bright future with this kid. The yunguns (young guns) have stepped up big time and are now 4th in the league in bench scoring (when's the last time the Wiz could say that?)

Losing BH hurt for the short term an on the defensive end but the time that JM is getting is invaluable to his future production. Depending on how JM does this season could have a big effect on either BH or ET...hopefully the latter but we know how well BH will take to riding pine next season.

I'm just glad to see some of the kids step up and start to make a difference, especially NY. He's also leading the league in point differential from last year to this year.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | November 13, 2008 2:50 PM

Lemonhead is a gift from God, I hope Jordan see's it the same way and plays him 40 a night.

Now I gotta go check out the candy section....

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 13, 2008 2:57 PM

The Future?

How creative.....

Posted by: truthaboutit | November 13, 2008 3:03 PM

I TAKE LEMONHEAD IVAN HE IS MORE ATHLETIC

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | November 13, 2008 3:08 PM

Posted by: rmcazz | November 13, 2008 3:08 PM

JM has shown more in 6 games than BH did in 6 years! Don't get me wrong, BH had a nice season last year but he sure never looked like this out of the box. Right now I gotta go with JM over GO. Until GO can get on the court and prove his worth, he's just a blown pick to me.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | November 13, 2008 3:13 PM

Based on what both of them did on college, of course you'd still take Oden. But considering that Oden has basically played a half-hour of pro ball while McGee has been given a loose leash on what is currently one of the worst teams in the NBA, trying to base a decision on what they've done in the NBA so far is ridiculous.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2008 3:24 PM

I'd take Lemonhead. Definitely, Lemonhead.

Posted by: Wittan | November 13, 2008 3:26 PM

Young has been playing well, no doubt, but he still needs to be more aggressive going to the basket. It looked like he had it figured out against Detroit, but ever since then he's gone back to relying on the fadeaway. This team needs as many easy opportunities as it can get, and that includes free throws.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2008 3:27 PM

trying to base a decision on what they've done in the NBA so far is ridiculous.

It certainly is not ridiculous. Not particularly revelatory, but not ridiculous. Oden has serious injury issues, and has since college. He looks old; he plays old. He doesn't look like a natural scorer.

McGee looks spry, awesomely athletic and is picking things up fast. Lemonhead, hands-down.

Posted by: keithward64 | November 13, 2008 3:36 PM

kalo...that's the difference between playing for OSU and Nevada. It's called media exposure. JaVale got none at Nevada and Oden got too much at OSU...on a loaded team. Oden is hesitant, shows little aggressiveness and appears slow. Despite the Wiz's record or the fact they're currently one of the worst teams after 6 games, JaVale is playing with heart, passion and with much more offensive skill that Oden ever showed at OSU.

Posted by: redpitbull98 | November 13, 2008 3:36 PM

I know its kind of early to make trade but....

What if we make one or all of three of these trades before the trade deadline, it would give us about 27 million in expired contract in 2010, we could add a couple of really good role player to this core in 2010

Gilbert, Young, Caron, Jamison, Mcgee, Blatche & 2009 & 2010 1st picks

Antonio Daniels, Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila

for

Larry Hughes (15 mil expire 2010)

------------------------

Brendan Haywood, DeShawn Stevenson

for

Marcus Camby (11 mil expire 2010)

------------------------

mem 1st, Oleksiy Pecherov

for

Javaris Crittenton or Kyle Lowry (1 mil expire 2010)

we still would be competative after the allstar break and next season to with this lineup

1st team - Gilbert, Hughes, Caron, Jamison, Camby

2nd team - Lowry, Young, Dmac, Blatche, Mcgee

3rd team - Brown, Dixon or 2009 1st & 2nd picks

Posted by: jahbless420 | November 13, 2008 3:37 PM

To be fair to Oden, we haven't seen him healthy in the pros yet. Writing him off now would be kind of silly. Teams don't give up on big men drafted in the first round just because they've got a bad wheel. Anybody that would come up with an idea like that would be plain silly.

But the Wizards could have discovered the find of last year's draft, the kid is freaky athletic. He knows basketball and he plays with a passion.

Lemonhead, well fits a lot better then McBust, or LaTravel. The kid is definitely a keeper...

Everytime I see him play he puts a smile on my face. He'll eventually quit jumping at every shot, but right now he's got to have guy's head on a swivel when they're in the lane and he's in the game.

Posted by: flohrtv | November 13, 2008 3:40 PM

"that's the difference between playing for OSU and Nevada. It's called media exposure."

No, it's called better quality of program and better quality of competition. OSU got more exposure because they were a better team that made it to the Final Four and the NCAA title game. Nevada couldn't even get an NIT invite McGee's last season.

"Oden is hesitant, shows little aggressiveness and appears slow."

In the NBA, yes (because he's been out with an injury and hasn't played full speed, full contact basketball in almost 2 years; of course he's rusty and out of shap). In college (which is the basis for where they were drafted), no.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 13, 2008 3:43 PM

Oden would be a better fit here, seeing as he appears bound to have a career decimated by injury and haunted by possibility.

Nonetheless, I'll stick with Jammin' Java.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | November 13, 2008 3:49 PM

Since we're into silly comparisons, let's compare how EJ, the second longest tenured coach in the NBA is doing so far compared to his new peers:

Eddie Jordan (Les BouleS): 1-5 record (playoffs last season and 4 years in a row)

Erik Spoelstra (Mia): 3-5 (worst team in NBA last season)

Mike D'Antoni (NY): 5-3 record (lottery
last season)

Larry Brown (Char): 2-5 (lottery last season)

Scott Skiles (MWK): 4-5 record (lottery last season)

Vinny Del Negro (Chicago): 3-5 record (lottery last season)

Michael Curry (Detroit) 5-2 record (playoffs last season)

Terry Porter (Suns): 6-3 record (playoffs last season)

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2008 3:57 PM

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2008 2:46 PM

All predictions could be called silly, from predicting who will win, who will play the best, whether someone will be productive after injury...

Speculation with nothing in the balance isn't silly, it's enjoyable. That's part of why people watch sports is to make predictions (and if all the evidence is in, it's not a prediction, it's an observation.) Nothing is on the line here.

Now if someone was placing a bet, THAT would be silly.

Posted by: crs-one | November 13, 2008 4:11 PM

Antonio Daniels may be a proud vet, but his pride needs an introduction to reality. Reality tells Pride that he's slow, has no shot, can't get to the rim, doesn't create off the dribble and can't guard. Reality then tells Pride that it's time that he were swallowed, and that he should get as healthy as you can so that when your number is called you can make some sort of contribution other than pounding the ball into the hardwood.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | November 13, 2008 4:39 PM

As a Wiz fan I'll take McGee anytime.
If I wuz an NBA GM, I'd trade for him plus he earns $4M less than Oden does ;>}

Posted by: rickgonz | November 13, 2008 5:28 PM

"It's not that serious. If you think it's silly, just stay out and let everyone else have fun making guesses.

Posted by: crs-one | November 13, 2008 4:11 PM "

Ok, so when I speculated that Gilby would do harm TO himself with his idiotic parachute running, biking around town, and black top balling with 9 ft. courts, most people didn't think that was silly. They were offended and came to his defense.

The rest, is history, of course.

LMFAO!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2008 6:58 PM

Anyone have an opinion as to why Dee wouldn't get some time since Antonio is hurt and playing poorly?

Posted by: swhenderson54 | November 13, 2008 7:30 PM

Butler looks a lot more like Lemonhead than Mcgee, who needs a much better nickname. Big McMac? McTree? I got nothing.

Posted by: SammyT1 | November 13, 2008 8:08 PM

Whoa!! Let not get ahead of ourselves people Javale McGee is for real,but can we wait until the all star break before we start counting ballots,He has a serious upside and given Oden's propensity for injury i'll take "lemonhead" Now lets not forget the rookie wall that he's bound to hit but beyond that i think the kids gonna be all right, and one more thing BTH=Wally Pip!!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 13, 2008 10:18 PM

The rest, is history, of course.

LMFAO!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 13, 2008 6:58 PM

Yes, that's exactly what i was talking about. The idea that you can declare what speculation is silly or not.

My point remains. If you think a particular type of speculation is silly, just stay out and let everyone else have a good time.

Posted by: crs-one | November 13, 2008 10:24 PM

First off I'm not happy because I posted a few blogs ago and I wrote for like a half hour about Ernie, the team, rotation and trade values etc.... a really long and thought out post, and when I posted I get a message saying my post is on hold to be reviewed for content or something, and the post never got posted!!!!!!! There was nothing at wrong with my post and it was a waste of my time!! I really don't even feel like coming to this anymore.

Now... interesting question Ivan!! I have to say I would also take Lemonhead!! This kid is amazing! He looked freaking great vs the Jazz!

I have to think about the draft and I was really wanting Hibbert! I even wanted Kostos Koufos who Lemonhead went against on Utah. I wanted Hardin, Lopez, Speights. McGee was nowhere on my radar. When they got him I was like Oh No!! I thought he was another big who thought he was a guard and was soft with perimeter skills. Another Pecherov or Blatche. Man was I wrong!! I was totally wrong!! This kid is the steal of the draft absolutely!! What a great pick by Ernie!!

I understand what Eddie is saying a about the vets setting the table. They are reliable and you can count of them to start off in a certain way. And I've always liked Etan. But man this kid has got to be on the floor!!!!

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 13, 2008 11:09 PM

And what is up with Blatche?! He seems to be playing with effort... but his TOs and his untimely behind the back pass attempts, he is looking bad! He seems to have totally regressed... or is it after seeing how good Lemonhead is Blatche suddenly doesn't seem all that talented as we thought??

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 13, 2008 11:24 PM

crs one Nailed it. Spot on.

As for Oden and McGee.
I would agree with those who suggest waiting for the all star break or long to ddraw conclusions.

That said, Javale looks like he has a ton of upside. His athleticism is a perfect fit for a running gunning style team.

Blatch on the other hand looks like he is pressing. Trying to MAKE things happen and it comes off as awkward at best and as turnovers at it's worst.

I still have hope for him, if he can develop a bit and learn from McGee and the others we could have a really dangerous young core.

At the same time, i really don't ever want to see him bringing the ball up court. Watching opposing guards pick his passes is really embarrassing.

Posted by: gconrads | November 14, 2008 2:50 AM

The Sports Reporters were trying yesterday to come up with a guy who JM reminds them of.
After thinking about it, Ralph Sampson comes to mind. Ralph had a more polished jumper but at the same age, they are very similar. Both jump out of the gym and both dunk everything close to the basket. I also remember thinking that Ralph could get his shot off any time he wanted. It was almost impossible to block his shot because of his height and long arms. I feel the same about JM. As soon as he develops a consistent shot (and I suspect it won't take long), he'll be a monster.

Looks like this BTH injury has come with a platinum lining. So far, they're looking like equivalent players. Let's see if the rookie can continue. At this rate, he may just wind up better in a very short period of time (and I like BTH). Imagine if BTH had not gotten hurt. We wouldn't be seeing this til 2010 or 2011.

Also, why is Songaila getting any minutes? I'm gonna keep asking this question. This is his tally so far THIS SEASON...

13.4 mpg .08 rpg .08 apg 3.8 ppg

In 67 minutes ths year, he has 4 rebounds.
FOUR REBOUNDS !!!!

He has 12 fouls in that same span.

Songaila is a BUM ! See what Pech can do. It's almost statistically impossible to be worse. Any one of us could get a rebound in 13 minutes. The ball would fall near us at least once.

As far as Etan is concerned, Czaban had the best line last night...

"If Etan didn't come installed with 6 fouls, he'd be useless."

amen.

Posted by: original_mark | November 14, 2008 7:19 AM

Darnell1, It seems they want snappy one liners and not posts with a lot of thought. Some long posts with tons of reprints from other posters, I scroll through. But I useally scroll to the bottem and check out the name. Some posters thoughts I read everytime to find out what other fans are thinking.

Like Daniels, Songaila has really seemed to come out of the gate really SLOW this year. The guy was always a step slower then most guys, but got by on guile, experience, and precise footwork in the paint.

He's a classic big from the former Soviet Union well drilled and coached, he's managed to go further then his talent would suggest he could. But he seems like he's lost another step right now and is glued to the floor. There's no way to make up for being two steps slow, on the playground it would be time to get off "the big dog's court".

Posted by: flohrtv | November 14, 2008 7:55 AM

I never remember Sampson playing with McGee's energy. They are of similar build, but though Sampson had pretty good hops, I don't recall McGee's cat like quickness.

Sampson was so well schooled he didn't waste a lot of movement on the court. As a freshnan at Virginia he was more refined in his game then McGee. Even at his best I don't remember him being quick enough to drive the guard away from the basket on the pick and roll like McGee can. But back then few coaches ever used their bigs that way. So a direct comparison is hard.

Ralph was one of the saddest NBA careers that I remember. Boy was that guy good when he came into the league, drew a lot of comparisons to Jabber back then. He was really a shadow of himself when the Bullets gave him a try years later. Two bum knees ruined what could have been a HOF career.

So I'd feel more comfortable finding another guy to compare McGee to. But in talking about the comparison's it makes me think that a guy like Jabber would be an excellent choice to work with the kid. Could you see McGee with a skyhook?

Posted by: flohrtv | November 14, 2008 8:20 AM

"The reason everybody was offended was not because you were speculating, but rather because of your broadstroke negativity. It has nothing to do with whether you're right or wrong and nothing to do with whether or not your speculation is unfounded. You're just annoying. Which, I'm sure, is your motivation.

Posted by: crs-one | November 13, 2008 10:24 PM "

Annoying...

Not annoying....

Who cares?

My prediction came true.

And, I didn't mention also that my prediction that Gilby shouldn't have participated in the All Star game/3 point shoot out while injured came true too.

Les BouleS went from first place to almost last place before games ran out, and were swept in the playoffs.

Too bad if you can't handle the truth.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 14, 2008 8:57 AM

Posted by: gconrads | November 14, 2008 10:02 AM

"Do you have any evidence connecting GA's absence to the all star 3point shot out?

Posted by: gconrads | November 14, 2008 10:02 AM "

Is this a joke? Are you new to this area?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 14, 2008 10:15 AM

JM over Oden. And. JM will be better than Oden in his NBA career. It amazes me to no end that so many people cannot realize that JM is emblematic of any top six NBA pick for the last 20 years. EG found "The Real Deal" "A Diamond In The Ruff" or shall I say "There's Oil In Them There Hills!" All EJ has to do is play the man with the right mix that he already has. Yes Folks. "Already Has."

Keep ET DS & AD deep on the bench. Use the rest and I like giving point minutes to DS as well as JD.

Years ago when Timmy was drafted by San Antonio, the pundits said that the Admiral should retire. They were wrong and in fact if the Admiral did not have a bad back San Antonio would have at least two more rings.

Point is with JM and BH together, either as backups two each other or as 5&4 it would add tremedous power to this team. It would strengthen the entire overall effectiveness offensively and defensely. To trade BH would be a horrendous mistake. Keeping him would allow all of your current 3&4's to play to their natural strengths.

And back to JM, he is a "NBA STARTER" right now folks. Not only does he have the physical talent, he has the intelligence as well. He ain't no starter house, he's the house of your everlovin dreams, i.e. Magic, Air Jordan, Bird, Shaq Duncan and all those other more publized rookie starters that did not have to learn on the bench. Did somebody say Odom. Looks like he gonna need the bench time.

I can't wait till Brendan gets back and all of you Brendan haters, Pls stop hatin, cause Ernie ain't going to trade him. In my heart EG knows that Brendan has always been an asset to this time when givin a chance, as evidenced last year when EJ had to play him when ET was not available.

Trust me. The Wizards are a good team. EJ needs to figure out what the winning phylosophy is for their talents. He don't have much time.

Coming Hard. LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | November 14, 2008 10:56 AM

Agree, when JaVale, I was like who's that, but when they said his parents were both professional NBA players, I was like OK, he has to pan out. Did he ever!

Posted by: washwiz | November 14, 2008 4:05 PM

correction: When JaVale was drafted by the Wiz I was like ....

Posted by: washwiz | November 14, 2008 4:09 PM