Wednesday Update: An Upbeat Practice

It's funny what a win can do, because the vibe was totally different as the Wizards wrapped up practice today here at Verizon Center. The key now, of course, will be building on what went right during last night's win over Golden State tomorrow night against a much tougher Orlando Magic team.

"When you have a good win, practice is pretty upbeat," Coach Ed Tapscott said. "The challenge there isn't getting effort, the challenge is getting focus and concentration. Guys are feeling really good about themselves, joking and that kind of thing and I want practice to be fun but I also want execution and focus on the concepts and schemes we are working on."

-Assistant coach Randy Ayers is doing well after undergoing a minor surgical procedure yesterday morning and could return in four or five days. Ayers was not on the bench for last night's game, but Tapscott said he was working on the Golden State scouting report when Tapscott visited him early yesterday.

By Ivan Carter  |  November 26, 2008; 2:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Predictify: Season Prospects Revisited
Next: The Tapscott Way

Comments

It's amazing what happens when "small ball" dies!! Andray, show that you deserve the minutes and that Jordan was wrong for repeatedly choosing Songalia over you.

Posted by: Firuz1 | November 26, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Especially for Blatche, focus is the key...

Posted by: poiuytr1 | November 26, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Given the quote from Jamison it seems everyone on the squad noticed how Eddie relentlessly scapegoated blatche actin like he didn't deserve minutes, one game into his absence and we see Andray shine, 25 pts, 12r, 5a,5 blocks... holler.

Posted by: bford1kb | November 26, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

It's funny what a win can do?

How about what making more money in one year then most do in a lifetime can do?

These guys make the same amount of money win or lose. If they really cared about winning they would play defense and pull Gil aside and teach him how to play the game the right way. Pass the ball since you are a point guard and play team ball!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 26, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"It's funny what a win can do?

How about what making more money in one year then most do in a lifetime can do?"

How about quit counting other people's money? Every veteran pro athlete makes a lot of money. This is not news. Stick to watching college sports if you're going to be a jerk about it.

Posted by: IrenePollin | November 26, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

NOTE TO BFORD1KB: Lets see scapegoat umm..........Oh Yeah that would be a guy someone is trying to lay blame on when its actually that person himself,PLEASE!!!!! Just stop it; don't flatter yourself with that conspiracy type thinking about Andray,never has so much been written about a player who hasn't done one damn thing, like I said in a earlier blog time will tell, Dwight Howard and the Magic are waiting!!

Posted by: dargregmag | November 26, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Again,

It's one game, and a long season. I'm already liking Tapps's rotations however. I always thought it was dumb to take your best players off the floor at the same time.

The Celtics showed everyone last year that it's not "chemistry" that wins you championships in the NBA, it's pure talent. Three guys can carry a team to a tile easily.

If Blatche can bring it like that every night the Wiz are going to win a lot of games, the thing is we all know him to have stretches where he just disappears.

Maybe that won't happen with Tapps, we'll see I guess.

Talk to me when the Wiz are 500.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | November 26, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I like the big lineup... I like McGee at center, I like Blatche rotating between the 4 and 5. I like Jamison rotating between 4 and 3. I like Caron rotating between 3 and 2. I like Nick Young at SG. Add Arenas and Haywood and that's a strong rotation. Until then I guess Dee and Songaila are the fill ins. I also like McGuire plugged in there for his rebounding and energy.

At this point I am hoping Tap works out and keeps the job long term.

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 26, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Looking to the draft I like this guy projected at 9.

Posted by: Darnell1 | November 26, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Darnell1,

Earl Clark is alright. I haven't seen much from this video but dunks:

If the Wizards continue to play like they did last night we might have to start looking much lower in the draft. If not, then am hoping we'll get in the top 3 draft. This way we can trade down along with players like Thomas (to make room to sign free agents).

Posted by: demonj21 | November 26, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

IrenePollin:

Posted by: IrenePollin | November 26, 2008 5:16 PM

Considering there are people dying overseas to protect this country, houses are being foreclosed, 401K’s are worth about 60 percent where they were about 8 months ago and the unemployment rate is going up and people are losing their jobs!

You have the nerve to tell me I am a jerk because Ivan Carter wrote a story about a bunch of spoiled basketball players finally have an upbeat practice since they won a stupid basketball game. Give me a break; these guys should be upbeat everyday since they get play basketball for a living while the people in the Military who sacrifice their family life and their own so these guys can play basketball. You must be a fool to think these guys are worth what they are getting paid and the reason this country is in the shape its in, is because of people like you. When I was a kid pro athletes had a second job during the off season just to make ends meet, they did not make the amount of money they do now, because the public did not worship the players and the country had its priorities in order.

Go ahead and tell all of the people in the military, police officers and teachers they are jerks because they have honor, courage and do what is right in life for very little pay. Gee, maybe they will have an upbeat day because the Wizards won a basketball game?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 26, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

OK homers....

Who's going to go out on a limb and say Les BouleS will beat the Magic tomorrow night on TNT?

Place your bets.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 26, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing what a new voice in practice can do for morale. I liked EJ, but I believe he had lost the ability to motivate this team. Now, I am excited about the possibilities. I know folks, "it's only one game." but, I at least have a reason to be more optimistic than I was during the first couple of weeks of the season or the preseason.

Let's get behind the players and encourage them and our new coach. Let's also hope that EG can select the best coach long term, and while we're at it, a special wish for good health for GA.

Wow, it's beginning to sound like I am making my Christmas list for Santa..hope I have been good this year! R

Posted by: faninAlex | November 26, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

@bulletsfan78: My how bitter you sound. So someone can't blog about pro-ball players having an upbeat practice until all the military personnel are out of harm's way? Until police officers and teachers start making big bucks? Stop being so envious of other people's money. How much of a loser are you if you are reading and commenting on a blog about ball players you think are overpaid?

Posted by: tundey | November 26, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Re: Earl Clark

why would the Wizards yet another front line player? We need a good PG that can also score. Enough of the project big man (Blatche, Pech, McGee)!

Posted by: tundey | November 26, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

tundey,

While I agree we should not draft another big man I also think we should draft a big man like Blake Griffin then trade Jamison if possible. Blake can back up Blatche. This move will allow us to get a decent point guard via free agent.

Posted by: demonj21 | November 26, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

tundey

Read my original post I was just commenting on how these players need a win to get up for a practice? Irene Pollin was the one who got upset that I mentioned the amount of money the players make.

Personally, I have never spent a dime on professional sports in my life. The best thing Robert Short did in 1971 (I was 11) when he moved the Washington Senators was taught me what professional sports are all about. They do not care about the fans; to them it is all about the money. I was just making an observation on the down fall of the American society. Some Americans have their priorities wrong when they believe building a 300 million dollar stadium in MN is mort important then fixing bridges that fall down. When cities tax the their citizens to subsidize the rich with great stadium deals while kids in Elementary schools right down the street don’t have books to take home…but I guess you wouldn’t know anything about that. Keep your head in the sand like Gilbert does.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 26, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse