Wizards at Knicks

Information on tonight's game:

Wizards starters: JaVale McGee, Antawn Jamison, Caron Butler, DeShawn Stevenson, Dee Brown.
Inactives: Gilbert Arenas, Brendan Haywood, Antonio Daniels (right knee).

Knicks: David Lee, Wilson Chandler, Quentin Richardson, Chris Duhon, Nate Robinson.
Inactives: Eddy Curry (sore right knee), Jared Jeffries (broken fibula), Stephon Marbury (doesn't want to play).

Refs: Sean Corbin, Mark Ayotte, Matt Boland.

Line: Wizards 2 1/2.

Notables: The Knicks will have only seven players available due to the big trade the team made on Friday. Stephon Marbury, who was active for Friday's 104-87 loss in Milwaukee, was dressed but refused to play and also will not play tonight. New Knicks Al Harrington, Cuttino Mobley and Tim Thomas are here but will not dress.

- Daniels, who returned last night after missing four of five games, wanted to go tonight but Coach Eddie Jordan said the coaches made the decision to have him sit. Daniels was not happy with the decision and tossed his game jersey on the floor of the locker room after he was told.

Jordan: "He thinks he's ready to go but I want to make sure. The coaches didn't like his pregame so, we're going to save him from himself."

-Sign spotted at halfcourt before the game: "Where 2010 happens." The sign had a picture of LeBron James doctored so that he was wearing a Knicks uniform. So, you can tell what the big story is up here tonight.

-Jared Jeffries told me he hopes to return in two weeks or so on that broken leg. Always liked Jared.

-Jordan on possibly taking advantage of a shorthanded Knicks team tonight: "I told them the opposite. The Knicks will see a 1-9 team and they are licking their chops so we have to be aware of the tempo, be aware of the matchups because they are going to go small, we have to be aware of the matchups because we know they are going to shoot threes so, there are a lot of traps out there for us if we are not focused or we think we have a team down."

By Ivan Carter  |  November 22, 2008; 2:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Side: New York Knicks
Next: Terrible Loss Makes Wizards 1-10

Comments

Marbury about to be bought out and will sign with the Wizards. Gil will move to shooting guard.

Posted by: ptp23 | November 22, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Wiz better win this game, and Knicks roster is depleted.

On a side note, I am begging Grunfeld to trade Blatche. Teams that win (Boston, Detroit, San Antonio, etc.) have guys with heart, passion, determination, and high basketball IQ. Andray has none of that.

What is killing this team is guys who dont have their heads in the game and always goof off. Get Blatche out of here, he is a complete cancer to this team.

Posted by: Roman5 | November 22, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ptp23 | November 22, 2008 7:35 PM

Uhh...what?

Posted by: KShark28 | November 22, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Every 3-pt shooter in this league must have marked Wiz's game on their calendar, because this is the game that they can shoot at well, without anyone bother to guard them. All Wiz will do is make a faint attempt to charge at them but the ball will already left the shooter's hand!

And even if they missed, most likely they will get the offensive rebound and try again, because Wiz sucks at rebounding too!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 22, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | November 22, 2008 8:05 PM

The defense is atrocious. We even made Kwame look solid.

Posted by: KShark28 | November 22, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Wizards shooting 50% from the field versus 39% for the Knicks and outrebounding NY 25-20 at half.

And they're still losing.

Not a good sign.

Don't know if this team is poorly coached or just has stupid players.

Posted by: SteveMG | November 22, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Eddie finally did something productive by placing caron on the bench after he drifted away far enough in the first for Q to hit 6 threes. Maybe some accountability will come into play on D. Way to fill in Dom, 8 boards at half, no more three's for Q either. He wants the minutes, please comply, our d needs it. This is not to say that it should continue to come at the expense of caron's floor time.

Posted by: bford1kb | November 22, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

people who think Blatche is the problem are incredible near-sighted fans, his flaws and in-game-errors are blatant, there is much much more wrong with the squad than andray liking blunts and fried foods.

Posted by: bford1kb | November 22, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

If the final of this game doesn't result in a complete blowout by Les BouleS, then you know this team needs to be blown up.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 22, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

OMG, David Lee with a jumper that misses and Nate Robinson skies over AJ for the tip in.

WTF?!?!?!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 22, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

And, so, P.J. Carlesimo got fired early Saturday, the first coaching victim of the still-young NBA season. With his Thunder a league-worst 1-12 and EJ is still the head coach?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | November 22, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

In no way am I saying Blatche is the problem of this team. However, he has the least heart of anyone, and is the player who needs to be shipped out ASAP. The culture needs to change around this team, and it should start with him.

Posted by: Roman5 | November 22, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I can't catch the game. why has mcgee played so little?

Posted by: keithward64 | November 22, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: demonj21 | November 22, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

LMFAO!!!!

I guess doofus EJ is not going to make fun of 5'6" guys anymore.

Nate Robinson, 27 pts, 6 rebs, 6 assists, 1 steal, and outhustled man Les BouleS players including outjumping AJ during a jump ball who is 15" taller than Nate.

Wow....

This loss can't be more embarrassing and utterly atrocious.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 22, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

"Well, look at the bright side, we now have 70 games left to go before we draft Blake Griffin.

Posted by: demonj21 | November 22, 2008 9:55 PM "

Sorry my friend.

This is not the NFL.

There is a lottery to see who picks first.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 22, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

I can not believe this....?? Eddie lost this game. No question about it. How in the heck can you use Songalia that long when McGee had only three fouls and AB only had 2????????

AB had a nice game going from the Houston game and the first half. Even though Eddie elected to play Etan and only give AB 7 minutes in the 2nd half.

Then not to play AB any in the second half but for 1 minute makes no sense?????? I am slowly starting to believe Eddie can not use not having Gilbert and Haywood all of the time.

I was ready to throw my chair at the tv when he first substituted Etan for McGee in the first half when AB should have come in.

Then to top it all off we keep doubling the ball leaving red hot shooters with wide open shots. Why can't we just play simple man to man and stay with your man?

I have been saying Eddie should stay here as coach but now I am not to sure right now. This dude does not have a clue on how to call substitutions in games. I am really mad right now and think I might skip the Tuesday game because I can not take his coaching anymore..........

****What kind of "mind games" is he playing with AB????? Someone please tell me......!!!!!!

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 22, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

1-10. For those who keeps on insisting Wizards' problem is its roster. Well, don't tell me Knicks' 7-men roster is better than Wizards!

Look at Knicks, a terrible team last season, and people said it was because Isiah assembled a bad team. Well, the same roster, different result. See what a coching change can do!

Posted by: sagaliba | November 22, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

well we hv to get #1 in the draft so we can get Blake Griffin, but if we didnt get #1 in the lottery then...we pretty much not gonna improve much cause this draft is not deep especially in PF, the area that we really need

Posted by: forbid | November 22, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

AB 7 minutes in the 2nd half

type - I meant 1st half.

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 22, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | November 22, 2008 10:03 PM

We hv two all-stars and we can not even beat knicks who ply only 7 guys with no all stars!!!, that is def our coach fault, we allow 16 threes!!....16!!

Posted by: forbid | November 22, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I HATE SMALLBALL!!!!!! WHAT IS EDDIE'S PROBLEM.....????? WHAT IS HIS STRANGE FIXATION WITH SONGALIA PLAYING THE "5" SPOT....?????

DANG I AM REALLY FUSTRATED!!!!!!

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 22, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

5'6 Nate Robinson had a bigger interior presence than any Wizard forward or center. Our best front court presence is our small forward, Caron Butler. This is why we're 1-9. I blame Grunfeld. The Wiz have played with heart the last three games, but are just too outclassed - physically and talent-wise - to compete. Meanwhile, why aren't Mcgee, or an effective Dominic, given more minutes? The Knicks had only seven players, and rather than run them ragged, we bring in slow-footed Songalia and let them catch their breath in a plodding halfcourt game. In the backcourt, this team will never win if Dee Brown logs that many minutes. He plays with energy, but makes poor decisions, has no flow and can't shoot. At all. He should never, under any circumstances, jack threes.

Posted by: SammyT1 | November 22, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 22, 2008 10:03 PM

EJ is just an ignorant fool!. Ivan u should criticize him too!! dont just do all the sweet talk!!

Posted by: forbid | November 22, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

How does a 7 man Knicks roster (all 5 starters logging over 40 minutes each)outplay this squad? IN THE 4TH QUARTER when their players have to be tired AND the Knicks played yesterday night.

AND they are missing their two best players in Randolph and Crawford.

This is the most embarrassing Wizards loss in a decade.

Posted by: tenk | November 22, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm now convinced EJ's got to go. Song plays the entire 4th quater. EJ puts javale in with 45 seconds left, too late! The knicks are young & athletic and had NO HEIGHT tonight to match up with Blatche or Javale tonight, but EJ opts to go with Song. EJ's sub patterns night to night are so random. Song is so slow, gets no boards, and David Lee blew by him at will. Carlisimo was fired today, if EJ isn't next the Wiz are playing to lose. This should have been a blowout win for the Wiz.

Posted by: cj658 | November 22, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

AND they are missing their two best players in Randolph and Crawford.

This is the most embarrassing Wizards loss in a decade.

Posted by: tenk | November 22, 2008 10:09 PM

plus we have two all stars and they have none. they out coach us

Posted by: forbid | November 22, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Take a look at Mr. Statman, AJ.

29 pts, 13 rebs.

So what?

He got clowned on at least three plays.

One was where Nate Robinson beat him on the jump ball and then hit a 3.

Another was when AJ didn't block out and Nate skied over him for the putback.

And another was when Wilson Chandler beat him off the dribble for a layup coming from behind the top of the key!!!!

Where, or where, is AJ's defensive security blanket, BTH?!?!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 22, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rfzonadc | November 22, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Some people might say firing the coach might not matter because of the roster EG has put together. I might beg to differ now after hearing Van Guney and Jackson on Friday's game.

They came out and questioned a lineup Eddie put in and then questioned why he was doubling the ball and then why didn't he call a timeout and make a substitution change to stop Houston's run.

These were all questions I was asking so to here some real professionals and former player say the same thing, I did not think I was too far off base after all.

I am starting to thing I might want Van Gundey here. Every game he does for ESPN that is a Wizard's game he always questions the defense and lack of discipline the players show.

I am about 95% sure I want a coaching change now. I can not take EJ's rotational calls anymore. I have tried to work with him but I can't do it anymore.....!!!!

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 22, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

AJ has a good game if u look at his stats BUT if he can not defend, then its just cancel out, hes not doin any better if he doesnt defense even though he score 29

Posted by: forbid | November 22, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

DCMAN88, nail on the head w/ AJ, horrible D, even worse signing. This franchise has a lot of problems, I have a feeling EJ is fired Mon morning. And FYI, Gil is done for the year. IN REALITY, HE SIGNED A 5 YEAR 111 MILL DEAL, MAKES ME SICK!!!!!! I'd take Jim Larranaga, seriously.

Posted by: cj658 | November 22, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I tried patience but eddie needs to go. our only two inside presences, 7-0 Mcgee, 6-11 Blatche saw a combined 18 mins with 7-11 shooting and 15 pts. How do they get 18 minutes COMBINED. Mcgee alone should've gotten 18 in the second half once he sat all but four minutes in the first for having two fouls. I thought we'd gotten past this eddie, I hope the squad resents your being utterly devoid of basketball common sense, LENGTH, and ATHLETICISM are positives in this crazy game. 30 years of being immersed in pro bball hasn't gotten this across? But instead eddie's man-crush got the minutes at the five. Songaila cannot play center ever, even if the other team plays with a small lineup. Hopes for the future: Eddie and Darius become able to wed, legally, and spend their lives together coaching up a rec league squad that will dominate the eighth-grade ranks with precision cuts, passes and shooting (cannot classify it as a jump-shot when Darius does it). The Princeton-Songaila Offense, willing other squads to victory one morale/FG% boost at a time. Uncontested layups abound, help yourself to all the easy points you want...oh and take those offensive rebounds, we don't need the possession.

Posted by: bford1kb | November 22, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Tonight was a good example of why young players don't develop under Eddie. And that is, they don't know what the heck to expect. McGuire shockingly played a good 1st half and no more. Blatche played well and saw no further action. McGee got pulled for 2 fouls and saw limited action thereafter despite ending with only 3 fouls. Young played well and saw only 18 minutes.

1-10 and Eddie's still sticking with his guys. The stats on 82games.com tell the whole story.

Who is Eddie and Ivan going to put this one on? The ball boy?

Posted by: Izman | November 22, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

These were all questions I was asking so to hear some real professionals and former player say the same thing, I did not think I was too far off base after all.

I am starting to think I might want Van Gundey here. Every game he does for ESPN that is a Wizard's game he always questions the defense and lack of discipline the players show.

Sorry I am so mad right now I can not even spell right at the moment......

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 22, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

EJ must have lost his mind. i think he is so nervous of gettin fired that his psychic isnt there anymore

Posted by: forbid | November 22, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

gilbert forced us to sign jamison which is awful for the franchise, he's the worst pf defender in the league who starts, very skilled offensively but our deficiencies defensively cannot be masked by any of our offensive talent.

Posted by: bford1kb | November 22, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, yes that comparsions only half ways explains what's happening with the Wizards. The one half is that the Wizards stood still and didn't make moves to improve the team and bad coaching decisions. First, let me say as a fan I believe the Wizards made the right move in resigning GA and AJ (however, I do believe they over paid for his services), however, the Wizards watched over the last two years teams in the Western Conference sign players, make trades and whatever else to improve their team. The Wizards did nothing. In the Eastern conference over the last two years we've watched Boston, Orlando, Philly, ATL, T-Raptors, the Bucks... make moves to improve. The Wizards did nothing. To be Continued...

I started this comment the other day (see above) Coaching was my next point. As many of all have said. WTF is up with EJ and this small ball. Why have three 7 footers and not play them. Especially against a team does have any height in its lineup. Also, EJ does seem to know how to develop young guys. AB has been screwed up by EJ. He never knows when he's going into the game or how long he's going to play. He can't get into the flow of game.

Between not making any moves to get better these last couple years and bad coaching the rest of the NBA has caught up with the Wizards. It's going to be a long year. I hope EG is reading these comments and maybe that will motivate him to make a move before it's too late.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | November 22, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Anyone get the feeling EJ is trying to get fired. No way we should EVER lose this game.

Posted by: jandlml | November 22, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Ivan you need to ask Eddie what the heck was he thinking with playing Songalia at the 5 so darn long in the 2nd half. Then to make a point to us the fans that he is running stuff he puts McGee back in the game with 45 seconds left in the game after it is over.

What is he trying to prove, or is he just so arrogant he has to let everyone know he is running the show....??? he had three 7 footers on the bench that he did not use.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE could you ask him what in the heck was he thinking....????

Posted by: BulletsFever | November 22, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I think everybody in this town are fed up with the Wizards, Bullets and its mediocre performance, and management. Ernie Grunfeld for all of the accolades I heard about, his savvy, etc has shown very little! I'm happy he drafted JeVale McGee and Nick Young. I'm unhappy about his management of the coach! I'm not in a position to watch the games on tv. I listen on the radio and simultaneously check out the scoring and progress of the games on the internet. This is pitiful!!!!! I used to blame Abe, thinking that he was being tight with the cash, and then it seemed like we were acquiring over-the-hill players but the fact is now, the Wizards have little desire or plans to be WINNERS. This franchise is content to bottom-fish and has no desire to attract the city;s fans or represent Washington with a high quality franchise and excellent play. It's so frustrating seeing other franchises from coast to coast especiallythose cities such as Boston, NYC, LA, and Detroit make constant changes to make themselves betters and position themselves to win championships, NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS! Do they not know that the fan base can choose other things to do and completely turn off to the piss poor example of a sports franchise. Let's all go and watch, listen or follow Georgetown Hoya basketball and leave these talkers, showboaters, and fakers of the Wizard franchise alone!

Posted by: zbopjazz | November 22, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I think the time has come for Ernie Grunfeld to be fired. He put together this mess of a roster, and has the most accountability. How he put this roster together up against the luxury tax while having no depth whatsoever is beyond me. He needs to pay the price.

This team needs a new GM to be brought in, and shake things up, just like the 76ers did last season. This is ridiculous right now.

Posted by: Roman5 | November 22, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

The Knicks went small. If any of the Wiz's bigs had an actual low post game that would have allowed the Wiz to slow the game down into a half court set and forced the Knicks to adjust by double teaming, then Jordan would have put one of them in. Last I checked, they don't have one.

Blatche is a jumpshooter, an inconsistent jumpshooter. McGee is good for alley oops and not much else, and Thomas is Thomas. Once the Knicks sped the game up and turned it into a track meet, half court offense went out the window, which meant that shotblockers patrolling the lane became moot. It was all about putting the ball in the basket. Songaila is better at that than McGee. It didn't work, but given where this team is at, it's not likely much of anything is going to work.

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 22, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Les BouleS lost because they were plain outhustled, outcoached, and outplayed as a team. It happens often.

The Knicks had no low post presence with the trade of Zach Randolph, but Les BouleS still couldn't stop the Knicks from HITTING 10 MORE 3 POINT SHOTS!!!

Did anyone notice how crisp the ball movement was by the Knicks? Did anyone notice the dribble penetration and kick out?

That's why the guys in the perimeter had such good looks despite no inside game.

It doesn't matter how well you can score, inside or outside, if you cannot stop the other team from scoring.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 22, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of no scoring in the paint, does anyone know why EG drafted Opech, Vermeenko, Peter John Ramos, AB, and JaTravel when none of them have anything close to an inside game, which was and is a glaring need?

In fact, what has EG done since he's been with the Wiz besides resign two gimme players to huge contracts and bring in a defensive "guru."

Probably the best thing that EG did NOT do was get rid of BTH despite EJ's request.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | November 22, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | November 22, 2008 8:05 PM

It's been the MO of this team for years under Jordan. He tells the defense to pack in tight so that they don't give up easy stuff in the lane (which they do anyway), and that frees up shooters behind the line. It's killed them forever. The help defense sucks in too low, so defenders can't recover in time. Rotations are always a step behind, too. Not ONE SINGLE thing has changed since EJ has coached this team. It's a defensive philosophy predicated on stopping dribble penetration, which is admirable, but the problem is the Wizards have no solid on-ball defenders, meaning the help gets sucked in from the perimeter to stop the drive. That results in an easy kick out for an open 3-pointer.

The saddest thing about this season is that you don't need a superstar to play good defense. The Wizards could be a competitive team if they just convinced themselves to play hard, tough defense every night. Try to score about 92-93 a game and give up the same amount. But they're routinely giving up 100+. Defense only requires effort and intensity and desire, nothing that you need from a star player. So that lack of effort on defense is what's disappointed me so far this season. I'm sure EJ won't lose his job, but he probably should. And I've been calling for that for the last three or four years. He just hasn't gotten in down. A change in tone and philosophy is needed.

Posted by: CDon | November 23, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

EJ once again allowed the game to be dictated to him, even though the oppossing coach had lesser tools. Statistically both McGee and Blatche shot well, the Wiz should have walked the ball up all night and simply dropped it inside and crashed the boards. BTW, kudos to Dominic who needs to play more.

EJ was outclassed and embarrassed by a superior coach. I doubt there will be a coaching change though, likely Pollin thinks EJ is giving best effort under difficult circumstance and that is probably sufficient for him.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | November 23, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: CDon | November 23, 2008 12:17 AM

Wait, u mean the last 3 or 4 games not 3 or 4 years isn it?? r u kiddin me or wat??

Posted by: forbid | November 23, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

I am old enough to remember a game in the 80s when the Wizards were about 7-19 and the fans wore bags over their heads at Cap Centre... What do you do with this bunch?

When I looked at the box score and saw how many minutes certain players got, I said to myself "EJ is a deer in the headlights..."

Posted by: khrabb | November 23, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Who si this Kal ramo, Unseld's step son, or a refuge from the Wiz PR dept.
Give me a break...this team is uncoached.
What game changes does EJ ever make, other than to implement "small ball", which never ever works.
Songalia is the antithesis of small ball. He can not run, can not jump, thus can not defend, esp at the 5 position. EJ is pathetic, and is even begging to be fired or is arrogant beyond recall.
Now as far as AJ, he is a class act, a gamer, and a battler. Yes his defense is slow, but he is not the problem.
Did anyone watch CB, the team hero tonight, he was pathetic and has thrown in more klunker games this year than anyone.
His defense allowed 6 3's in the first quarter, he was turning the ball over and just lackadiasical all game. Ar least EJ sat him down for a long stretch and Dmc was energetic and in the flow. So that was teh last we saw of Dmc...duhhhhh!
Just notice how soon the opponents attack the middle the minute EJ substitutes for JmC...
Etan should retire to playing one on one against Songalia into perpetuity..
This team needs a coach a strong one immediately, or the ugliness will explode...immediately.
Certainly the defensive scheme is Ej's call, no...
This is teh same D that we have seen for 5 years...double the ball, allow penetration and kick outs for 3's. Guarding the perimeter by playing on the heels and backing up...ughhhh!
Love teh nig jump outs, and than the scramble to find their man....need I go on? This is coaching 101...
There is more talent by far here, than the 7 Knick players tonight.
And please stop the whining about what a difference BTH would and could make, balderdash...first of all when he played decently at best, EJ would sit him for 20 minutes, and wouldn't let him on the floor in the 4th qtr...BTH is adequate at best, but mostly an underachieving slow footed, poor handed oaf, with no offensive skills. Mcghee would run rings around him, even as raw as he is
We have had a soft schedule and have zero to show for it....this is very sad, and only 72 games to go?

Posted by: maxman2162 | November 23, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

new startin lineup:

pg: young
sg: pecherov (since he always shootin 3 w/o
barely dribble the ball)
sf: mcguire
pf: blatche
c: Mcgee

just tank the season damn u!

Posted by: forbid | November 23, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

"Small ball is supposed to be a fast and aggressive lineup. It should be a solid defensive corps, with fast feet and shooting skills...did I miss something Kal?"

I can only assume you've missed all kinds of things, judging by the lack of logic in that statement.

Teams don't go to small ball for defense. That's complete nonsense. They go to smallball to up the pace of the offense and turn the game into a shotmaking contest. You have heard of Mike D'antoni right? Current coach of the Knicks? Used to coach a little team called the Phoenix Suns?

D'Antoni's Suns started Amare Stoudemire (a defensively challenged PF) at C, 6'7" Shawn Marion at PF, and 6'5" Raja Bell at SF. Do you really think he did it because he wanted more defense? Have you ever seen a D'Antoni coached team play? His M.O. is to get up as many shots as quickly as possible, defense be damned. It's what the Suns did and it's what the Knicks were doing. Jordan went small to try and match offensive output.

Going big and forcing the other team to adjust is a great idea in theory. in practice, it only works if you have the kinds of bigs with the kinds of offensive skills that the other team has to pay attention to. The Wizards don't. Once the Knicks turned it into a streetball game, having guys on the floor who can't make shots became a liability.

As for "shooting skills" ... my point exactly. McGee doesn't have any. Songaila does. Jordan went with him because he gave a better chance to get good shot attempts on the offensive end in helter skelter game than McGee or McGuire, who are offensively challenged (to put it charitably).

Posted by: kalo_rama | November 23, 2008 1:45 AM | Report abuse

How much do you want to bet that I will be able to cut and paste the following criticism of this team at least 40 more times this season?

1)The Wiz got no play in the interior tonight. No post presence at all.
2)Antawn Jamison had a nice game (apart from his defense), but after that everyone else played like a bunch of D-Leaguers down the stretch.
3)EJ's rotation was schizo. He looks like he doesn;t have a clue what he's trying to do with the chemistry on this team.
4) WTH is Dee Brown doing in the NBA?

Posted by: p1funk | November 23, 2008 2:40 AM | Report abuse

If anyone thinks for Gilbert Arenas is the answer for this franchise, think again. At his best,and he is/was skilled, and the team was still greatly flawed. We need at least one new player in the mix, someone who can rebound, drive to the hoop and finish at the rim. I do think letting Roger Mason go was a mistake. There seems to be nothing to put our hats on, no solid foundation, just a little framing. Where do we go from here? I'm not convinced our franchise management has a plan to move the Wizards convincingly towards being a winning franchise. Any serious, constructive, thoughts?

Posted by: zbopjazz | November 23, 2008 6:08 AM | Report abuse