76ers 104, Wizards 89

Ed Tapscott is quickly learning what Eddie Jordan already understood about this roster: he doesn't have enough players performing well enough at both ends on a given night to be able to go with a steady rotation.

Tonight, rookie C JaVale McGee clocked only 5:31 and Nick Young only saw 4:12 of action. Mike James came in and was solid, scoring 16 points on six-of-12 shooting. DeShawn Stevenson finally got going a little bit and scored 16 points on six-of-12 shooting.

After the game, I asked Tapscott about both of those decisions as well as his decision to not play newcomer Javaris Crittenton at all. From my seat, Tapscott went heavy with James and Dixon because they had it gong (at least Dixon had it going early when he hit his first four shots). Stevenson got on a mini-roll in the second half.

On whether Nick Young had entered his "dog house" (that was my term, not Tapscott's): "I don't have a dog house. On a given night, some guys are going to play well and some guys are going to play badly or poorly. My other guards were playing well. And when you get your shot comes to get in there and you don't have your swerve going, you open the door for someone else to get their swerve going. I may not be the brightest bulb but I know how to ride a swerve now. So, we're going to ride with the guys who are playing well. You know, we've talked about our guard play (it's been bad) and our guards shot 50 percent tonight. We had some 3's and that's a good sign for us."

On McGee, who has been seeing limited minutes of late: "I felt that Andray Blatche played well for us and you know that Darius Songaila is always going to come in and give me quality minutes so, again, if you're slow to start, and if we fall behind, I'm going to ride the guys that are playing well. You'll get your shot again at some point. But, in games where you fall behind, I can't wait. I have to play the guys that are playing with some sort of rhythm."

On Javaris: "He's come in and only had one or two practices and he knows less of what we do because he hasn't played in the system. You see, MIke being in New Orleans, knows some of the stuff we run becaue they run our stuff. They run "forwards out", they run "chin," so I can put Mike in the game and we're still organized and collected. We can run the basic stuff. He knows the basics sets, basic cuts, the basic timing. Javaris, at this point, doesn't know any of that. And so, it's going to take him awhile to learn some of that. It wouldn't be fair to put him in the game and say we're disorganized and point the finger at him. I've got to get him up to speed and get him in shape too because he hasn't been playing. And then we can take a look at him."

-An observation: the body language on this team is starting to go south quickly. Just watching these guys from the very start, it's easy to tell that the losing and uncertainty is taking a toll. A reporter sitting next to me offered this thought two minutes into the game: "Look at them, it's like five Calvin Booths walking up the court." I like big Calvin but my colleague was right: I saw five guys with slumped shoulders walking up the court with heads down. Not good.

-I've been accused of being too hard on Andray Blatche (by Blatche himself - he feels that everything I write about him is negative) but it's hard to not notice where he is lacking on nights like this. That's not to say that he's the primary problem with this team but I counted at least three plays where he went up soft with one-handed floating finge rolls and missed when he could've scored and gotten a three-point play.

One was a fastbreak where he was ahead of the pack and got fouled while missing a layup when he could've dunked it, and other were drives when he missed or turned it over. Philly's Thaddeus Young on the other hand, a guy with comparible talent and a guy Ernie Grunfeld didn't seriously consider drafting because the team already had two young big men in Blatche and Oleksiy Pecherov, goes hard at all times. He scored 14 points and grabbed four boards in 29 minutes.

Blatche finished with seven points, six rebounds, three assists, five fouls and two turnovers in 31 minutes.

-Interesting chatter in the media room tonight among media types: Eddie Jordan won't get the Philly job and Wes Unseld Jr. might be in the process of being groomed as the next coach of the Wiz kids. Also, Etan Thomas is darn near impossible to trade because he has a full year left on his deal AND has a nasty trade kicker (that was put in by Milwaukee as a poison pill but Ernie Grunfeld matched anyway.)

Chalk those up for what they're worth.

I'm on the train home as I write this feeling worse by the minute. The flu got me folks. Later........

By Ivan Carter  |  December 14, 2008; 12:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards at 76ers
Next: Monday Morning Point Guard

Comments

If they name Wes Unseld Jr the coach, I will not renew my season tickets.

You can say what you want about Eddie Jordan, but this team NEVER quit on his despite all of the injuries and tough times the past few years. He NEVER lost this team.

This team is lost right now.

Posted by: Section102 | December 14, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

I have noticed the body language as well. The young players no longer have the will as they know they are one mistake from being pulled but the same thing doesn't happen to the vets. This is dividing the team and it's Tapscott's fault. Mike James played ok but he seems to be a gunner. I am not sure how that will mesh if and when Gil comes back. He is going to take time from Young. Since Tapscott took over McGee is regressing as well as Young. We all know that McGee needs work, but what exactly is the joke for starting him and playing him until his first mistake? How does that build confidence> If anything they are making more mistakes becasue they are scared to just play.

Posted by: ptp23 | December 14, 2008 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Grunfield needs to tell EJ the jokes over and to come back!

This team has lost its drive to compete. Coaching change just made the drive go further south. Need to bring in a big time coach or big time star to get this thing going again.

Posted by: t-train | December 14, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Tap has single-handedly killed my remaining enthusiasm for the season. Not only are we still losing by double digits (understandable), but now the young players aren't even being given a fair chance (not understandable). What's the point of relying solely on the veterans if you're going to lose either way? He is 10x worse than EJ was on his worst day, and I say this as someone who was never a big fan of EJ. I'm done with this team until he gets replaced or mends his rotations.

Posted by: goaway41 | December 14, 2008 2:25 AM | Report abuse

another ugly loss. this team is destroying the goodwill built up over the past couple of years. if we're gonna lose ill watch if the team has either young players or hardworking overachievers. right now it plays neither.

if etan is that untradeable we should have just jumped on the larry hughes trade (crittenton be damned).

wesjr. ugh. that play of his during the lakers play was a joke (we couldnt even inbound the ball because everyone was standing around). can you please ask if David Blatt (american euro coach) is even on the radar.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | December 14, 2008 3:40 AM | Report abuse

I was seriously looking forward to 2009 draft - Blake Griffin, B.J. Mullen and that point guard from oversea - forgot his name. But since the Wiz aren't playing their youger players, what's the point of drafting players if you're not going to play them. This team been together for over 3 years and at this point we're going to continue to lose. 4-16 how much proof do we need before we start playing the younger players?

Posted by: demonj21 | December 14, 2008 4:31 AM | Report abuse

If Wes Jr becomes coach, I seriously may look for another favorite team, and I have been a lifelong Bullets fans since I was about 7 (1977) (although back then my favorite player was Dr.J!)... but that really may be the final straw (and as a fan I've put up and overcome ALOT of final straws!).

I am still mad about Eddie Jordan getting fired. It was so unfair, and done so quickly considering his relative consistant longterm success. So much for having an owner who values loyalty ... character and commitment.

About the game... the worst possible thing happened IMO, DeBrick got "hot" in the 2nd half. Great, now Tapscott's can justify continuing to start him and continuing to play him instead of NY. DeBrick occasionally gets on a roll, but he just is not a good player, and he will now continue to drag us down when his hot streak is replaced by his normal mediocore borderline D-league game.

Tapscott taking over has at least shown why EJ's rotations were so frustrating to watch (Songaila at center)... Blatche is just too inconsistant and plays too uninspired to stay on the court. He makes it just darn near impossible to stick with him instead of going with guys like DSong, or Ruffin.

We either need to make a move for a legit SG (Hughes or Vince Carter), or else go with the young guys (McGee, Blatche, McGuire, Young, Crittenton) and look to the draft.

Posted by: Darnell1 | December 14, 2008 5:49 AM | Report abuse

Based on the playing time, Tapscott has gone with the vets for the most part, to gain some wins and a better team atmosphere, I assume. But this team stinks, both in performance and its make-up. That's primarily EG's fault. He dumped EJ, making him the scapegoat, but little has changed to deflect his "guilt" in this mess.

The injuries to GA and BH were killers but this team had plateaued anyway and could not compete for a title since the East has gotten that much better while he essentially stood pat.

Re-signing GA and AJ, though almost a given for franchise stabilty and player recognition, has killed the Wiz from entering the free agent bonanza in the next few years since GA's contract is almost untradable. Even healthy, he is one dimensional, a poor man's AI but not as tough (healthy). Right or wrong, he is the face of the franchise for years to come, if he ever gets on the court. They'll be an entertaining and competitive team, but not a title contender. Or, how can he justify extending Pecherov when he has not played at all in 2 years for 2 diff. coaches? And Blatche is only slightly better than Kwame because his head is not into it. If EG is so astute, how does he not recognize this and go in a different direction from keeping the status quo?

How short a rope is EG hanging from? Unless AP is too sick to recognize this, it should be pretty short.

Posted by: rocky123 | December 14, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, hope you feel better. I know you feel terrible in the first place because of how bad the Wizards suck and it's no fun covering them right now.

***EDDIE JORDAN WASN'T THE PROBLEM!*** THE PLAYERS AND THEIR INABILITY TO PLAY DEFENSE IS THE PROBLEM!

Posted by: rachel216 | December 14, 2008 7:42 AM | Report abuse

To me, it is almost as if these young guys don't realize they are playing in the NBA and not college and that they are being paid to perform night in and night out. Things are not looking good at all for my Wiz and Gilbert coming back is not going to change a thing I am afraid. Things are starting to look very ugly for this franchise and I don't know what the answer is. As it is now evident, it wasn't EJ who was the problem with this teams performance. I lay the blame squarely on the shoulders of these players. I haven't seen anything like this in a while and it doesn't look like they can turn this thing around this season. You would think that with all of the negative talk about them around the league, that they would play for pride if nothing else. AUGH!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ivyleague | December 14, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Ivan: If you are looking to pin the blame on one player, look in Caron Butler's direction. Last night: Blatche +3, Caron -21. And he is hanging his head so much (after jacking up an ill-advised shot, alas), Pecherov is starting to look like he has good posture in comparison.

Ed Tapscott is making Eddie Jordan look like Red Auerbach.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | December 14, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | December 14, 2008 7:42 AM

First off Ivan, hope u get better soon. I've been saying this since the season started and after Eddie got canned I said the same thing. This team won't win until they make defense a #1 priority. Funny how all these "fans" after Eddie got let go, claimed the Wiz were all of a sudden going to be better. We got blown out by the Celtics by 34 points. Eddie Jordan as the coach last year, beat the Celtics 3 times.

76ers beat us by 15 last night. This team sucks. Hate to say it, but we suck this year. No coach is going to make this team better. Until the players make a 100% commitment to play defense, the losses will be racking up. This is the personnel we have and problem is most of the players do the same thing. Where's the defensive stopper? We don't have one.

I'm done ranting, let me know when the Wizards hold 5 straight opponents under 90 points.

Posted by: wizfan81 | December 14, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Too many kids on the roster now, not enough vets and the ones they have aren't good enough.

After watching the Caps the last couple of years, you can add me to those of who blame ownership. They were a carbon copy of the Bullets/Wiz on every level UNTIL Ted Leonsis took over. Now they are a genuine Stanley Cup team.

Someone needs to tell EG the Wiz really are a bad team and it's not something that Gilbert Arenas can fix. Sad thing basketball is NOT as complicated as they are making it out to be.

Feel better Ivan and thanks.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 14, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Yes Ivan, you continue to prove AB's point. He's +3, McGuire +1 and everybody else on the Wiz, big negatives, and you harp on AB's finger rolls.

The coaching play of the year so far is when Wes Unseld Jr. drew up a play during a time out and everybody went in the wrong direction when the huddle broke up.

Did you notice how Altanta beat Cleveland? You might want to do some research on how Atlanta has developed its young players.

Posted by: Izman | December 14, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

For all those bashing the decision to can EJ, I'll just note that we were 1-10 when EJ got fired and we're 3-7 since. We were 3-5 until Tapscott made inexplicably decided two games ago that McGee and Young should never play meaningful minutes again.

I'm glad Ivan asked about McGee and Young being in the doghouse, but Tapscott's response was total BS.

How can Tapscott claim that he was merely going with the "hot hand" when Mike James was put in the game BEFORE Nick Young (the same Mike James who went 1-6 Thursday)? How did James earn a spot in the rotation ahead of Young already?

And how can Tapscott defend his decision to stick with Stevenson for his 50% shooting when Stevenson was shooting just 2-7 as of the start of the 4th quarter? Stevenson didn't "get hot" until garbage time.

And his treatment of McGee has been criminal. It's fine if he doesn't trust a rookie. I get that. But if that's the case, just bench him and then bring him off the bench in situations where he might do well. Don't START him only to bench after 2-4 minutes in the first and third. It's like he's TRYING to destroy McGee's confidence.

If I was Young or McGee, I'd be extremely frustrated right now.

Posted by: nate33 | December 14, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

OHHHHHHHHHH..Now its the players not Eddie Jordan, the idiot GM(Grunfeld) has basically ruined this team and the season with the trigger happy,knee jerk firing of Jordan for no reason backed by some of the goofball post on this blog but some not all of you got what you wanted,happy now?The firing of Grunfeld is the only solution to this whole mess and then rehire yes that's right Eddie Jordan,sound crazy?not as crazy as this season will be and allready is if drastic measures are not taken to save whats left of a bizzare and discombobulated season.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 14, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Stevenson didn't "get hot" until garbage time."

Yeah, that's because no one was guarding him. Stick a hand in his face and he can't hit the side of a barn. Last year people were doubling down AJ and Caron so he had open shots. Not this year.

Stevenson needs to go.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 14, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone notice how Philadelphia got high percentage short jumpers, dunks, and layups on almost every possession? This while we were jacking up ill-advised longggg jumpers. Caron is usually solid but he was selecting some horrible shots yesterday.

I don't understand why tapscott doesn't tell them the basics...attack the rim! he should tell them 2 out of every 3 possessions need to be attacks at the rim and not long a** jumpers.

im not even going to talk about DeStank anymore because I think he's going to be in the game regardless how badly he plays, and NY is now too nervous to even be aggressive in the game, all he did was pass the ball around for the few minutes he was in there

Posted by: insanity999 | December 14, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Eddie Jordan getting fired was an awful move, and Tapscott has done nothing to shake it up. And Wes Unseld Jr? Please. Seriously, this team needs a new GM who isnt going to keep sticking with the same guys year after year. The team needs to be blown up.

And I am sick of the young players here. Grunfeld's problem is that he drafts young guys who have all the physical tools, but not the smarts, toughness, and drive it takes to win. McGee could have that, but Dmac, Young, and Blatche are clueless in that department.

As for Blatche, please keep ripping into him Ivan. The guy is a loser. No heart, no desire, and lazy as hell. Ship this guy out of here, what a cancer.

Posted by: Roman5 | December 14, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'd be sick to Ivan, if I had to watch this garbage up close on a nightly basis.

Posted by: CBell29 | December 14, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

"The crap going around this team is comical right now. It is such a mess, and Grunfeld is completely running this thing into the ground. He needs to be fired, or else there is no hope for this franchise.

Posted by: Roman5 | December 14, 2008 10:34 AM "

Abe is a conservative guy.

The way the power structure is currently, EG reports to no one but Abe.

EG gives Abe "credibility" because he's perceived as a highly competent basketball executive and is a former player.

Because of this, EG has free reign to make decisions, especially since basketball is not the biggest item on Abe's agenda right now, due to his health and his other business, his real estate empire.

It's too bad for Abe that none of his two sons have any interest in running the business.

Abe is big on loyalty, so unless EG is stealing money from his piggy bank, or making decisions without keeping him in the loop, expect EG to be there until he chooses to leave.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 14, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

If he was good enough, why not just make Unseld, Jr the Assistant HC, instead of Ayers??

Wow...

Posted by: -CN- | December 14, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"Wha?? Ivan, who said anything about Unseld, Jr being the head coach? Not anyone here... That seems like a call an O'Malley or Pollin would make, why would Grunfeld be grooming Unseld, Jr??

Wow...

Posted by: -CN- | December 14, 2008 10:43 AM "

I said it a a few weeks ago that one should not be surprised if Unseld Jr. is tapped as the next coach, especially if TT (Boston) doesn't want the job.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 14, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

What happens to Ayers? Isn't he supposed to be back by now?

Posted by: sagaliba | December 14, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Ivan, you say Etan Thomas is near untradeable because he has a full year left on his contract and a trade kicker -- whoa! Let's not have any negative thinking. Let's remember that some owners will pay what they think it will take to try to win an NBA championship. So, the reason Etan Thomas is near untradeable isn't the money. Come on, you know that. It's because his play so far this year has been -- well -- lackluster.

ET and EG: if you want to move Etan, you got to let him play enough to get his old form back. Somebody is going to want a 6-10, 260 pound PF/C who will bang.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | December 14, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

One big problem the Wizards have is that the veterans want to lead, and want to blame the younger players for the team's lack of success, but so far the Wizards have the best scoring bench in the league (due, I'm sure, in great part because two starter -- Dee Brown and McGee -- play/played so few minutes) and the bench is producing, not the starters.

Look at these plus/minus stats: http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=1&season=22008&split=9&team=Wizards

The players with the best plus/minus numbers on the team are Songalia, Blatche, Young, McGuire and Dixon. All bench players, most of them young. The players with the worst numbers are Thomas, Butler, Jamison and Stevenson. If I were a young player on this team and the vets tried to tell me that I wasn't pulling my weight, I'd tell them to kiss off. No wonder the team's chemistry is messed up.

The vets need to accept their share of the blame and not look to deflect it by yell at the youngsters or complaining to Ivan about Blatche's lack of effort.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | December 14, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Don't fire EG. It's been said before, but it seems to need repeating: Gil and Haywood are not out there. If they were, this team would not be anywhere close to 4-17, and shoulders wouldn't be slumping. (I even would bet that Blatche would be attacking the rim with more authority.) The team got hit with two big unexpecteds: Gil's and BTH's injuries. It's OK to make some changes, but no need to blow the team up. Btw, apparently EG has been trying to make some trades, but where he works, in the real world, it hasn't been easy to consummate the deals. Be patient. Don't push the panic button. And give Tapscott more time. Even after the
Sixers game, which was horrible, the Wiz are closer than you think. (I hope.)

Posted by: 7snider7 | December 14, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The tone for this season was set when Gil informed everybody about the third surgery after signing a $111M contract. The guy waltzes around, gets statutes, makes much more money than his teammates, and hasn't done anything for years. That has got to impact the performance and mentality of the other players.

Given the record and personnel, what exactly is this team now trying to accomplish? If there is something, does it have a reasonable chance of success?

Posted by: Izman | December 14, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Note to Insanity999: What could ETAP tell these young players he's never coached with any real sucess he has no real game NBA experience with all due respect ETAP is in over his head(he should have known better)he being the "smart" Tuft's university grad but quick to stab his head coach in the back,did you see anyone on EJ;s staff jump at the chance, NO! but this is why this squad is comming apart at the seams,EJ at least had a grasp of the situation dire as it was and still is(not of EJ's making)If Wes jr. gets this job then i'm out as a fan after 40 yrs of following this team there is no way WES jr should even be considered for the position this is cronyism at its worst with his daddy pulling the strings from behind the curtain.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 14, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

What exactly is the end game for this team this year? What are they trying to do?

The only guess I have is that they're still trying to muddle through until Arenas and (perhaps) Haywood gets back and then try to make a late push for the playoffs.

Which, I think, makes some sense; at least right now. They'll have time later to give more minutes to the young players after they're mathematically eliminated.

It seems to me they have another month or so of this and then they'll pull the plug.

Although the return of Arenas may push that timeline back another month.

Of all of the problems personnel-wise, the main question is the overall direction of this team. I guess those big contracts in the offseason prevent them from overhauling the entire roster.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 14, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I've always had the impression that EG is here to win, not just hold a job. He would be snapped up immediately by someone else if he left. I can imagine Abe hiring WesJr. out of sentimentality, but I can't imagine EG abiding that. (If WesJr. got the job and EG approved, it would be because EG thought it was good hire.) EG is a pro, and the Wiz need him to keep Abe from making sentimental decisions. So stop with the "fire EG" talk. He's a fine GM who can get the team where we want it to go.

Posted by: 7snider7 | December 14, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Ivan wrote: Also, Etan Thomas is darn near impossible to trade because he has a full year left on his deal AND has a nasty trade kicker (that was put in by Milwaukee as a poison pill but Ernie Grunfeld matched anyway.)

“Ernie Grunfeld matched anyway” sums up why this organization is where they are. If the Cilpards are going to react to what other losing organizations do they can only expect the same results. Why do you think only one other team made an offer to Gilbert? That team was the Warriors and when was the last time they won anything.

It has nothing to do with who coaches this team, the players suck. They do not play defense, do not rebound, do not take good shots, and that is not how you play team basketball.

This team three years ago could not get out of the first round of the playoffs with a healthy Gilbert and a younger AJ, fans please do not believe ABE thinks they can now; resigning these two guys was just a move to keep the fans coming to the games.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 14, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Roman5 | December 14, 2008 10:34 AM

I'm sorry, but DMac is a baller. He's already, by far, the best perimeter defender on this team (DSteve? please...). I've witnessed both DMac and McGee close out on perimeter shooters and block or affect shots. Something no one else on this team can do. And Nick Young is a baller too, albeit a one dimensional one.

McGee has more upside than he has vertical, he's just wet behind the ears. He's still a baller as is, but remember he only had one full year of significant minutes at the D1 college level. He's a project.

Critt? I haven't seen enough of him to really evaluate him, besides some youtube highlights @GT & LA. But I did go back and read his draft profile on draftexpress, and most of the scouts said 'needs another year'. So he's another project.

Oh, and by the way, on EG's drafting/scouting talents. The draft is a total crapshoot any way you cut it. Nash and Kobe (and a few other former league MVPs) were mid-first rounders, both drafted behind Eric Dampier, let's not forget. Andrew Bogut was drafted before Chris Paul. Josh Smith was drafted behind Telfair. Mike was drafted behind SAM BOWIE! Michael Redd was a second rounder; so was Manu; so was Boozer. I could go on, but the point is in evaluating any GM on last year's draft is a bit of a falsehood.

The best talent evaluators make what can be viewed as mistakes (from a hindsight is 20/20 perspective). They also make some excellent choices, like Michael Redd at 34 or DMac at 47.

Posted by: jones-y | December 14, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rachel216 | December 14, 2008 7:42 AM

Sorry folks but I am going to have to disagree with all of the EJ supporters coming out like it is a block party.

75% of this was Eddie's fault and the other 25% goes to the players and Ernie G. Of course all of the EJ folks can come on say "now it looks like it was not the coach after all, look at the loses?"

Well guess what, Tabscott is running just about the same type of substitions Eddie was running, other then subtracting Etan and giving AB more minutes.

Tabscott has KILLED McGee's and NY's games while playing Caron and AJ even more minutes then EJ. Folks yes it is alot on the players, but you have to call the right combo's with what you have.

Yanking McGee and NY everytime they make one mistake is just plain crazy. With young players you are going to have bad with the good. But when you pull them out after one "bad thing" and never put them back in to redeem themselves is just bad management.

I will say this, if I knew Tabscott was going to be calling games just like Eddie J was calling; I would not have wanted Eddie J fired. I supported Eddie J up until that Knicks game and then that is when I lost it with him.

Ernie G. your boy Tabscott is making your decision look even more self serving now and giving ammo to the folks who felt Eddie J. got a raw deal.

I suggest you go in and talk to your boy Tabscott and have him adjust the way he is calling games because he his making you look real bad right now. Tell Tabscott to take the leashs off of NY and McGee and start giving them their minutes....

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 14, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

ETap's rotations are summarily worse than EJ's, with one exception, and that's DMac's minutes. If Haywood wasn't hurt (which would probably mean that EJ still has his job, so its a bit unfair) AB would be getting 9th man minutes...

DSteve got less minutes, DSong got less minutes, and NY and the human Pogo Stick got a LOT more burn under EJ. The only thing ETap does better than EJ rotation wise is DMac in the 3rd to neutralize the opponent's hottest player.

I'm sick of seeing DSong at the 5. With the exception of the Detroit game, when their lineup was small for essentially the whole game, it doesn't work. He's Michael Ruffin with a 19 foot jumper and better passing skills...

Posted by: jones-y | December 14, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Just thinking there's got to be a better way of picking coaches than throwing stuff up against the wall to see if it sticks (the current preferred method).

But is there a way of measuring the impact of a head coach on a team’s performance? The NFL’s quarterback ratings are certainly imperfect, and yet they’re the first thing teams look at in evaluating quarterbacks. At least it's not just some guy's opinion.

Some possible components of a measure:
SEASON WON-LOSS RECORD: the coach’s influence on wins and losses is extremely hard to quantify. There’s no ‘coach’ line in the box score. The assistants work more directly with players. The GM signs the team & negotiates contracts. A coach with an outstanding record isn’t necessarily better than one with an inferior record; he may simply have better players.

Still, it’s one variable -- the team’s record that season, relative improvement (or lack of it), versus a baseline founded on recent history.

TEAM VARIABLES: More difficult. These are the things the coach can't directly control -- injuries to key players; overall team health; a numerical ranking for team strength versus the rest of the league (whoever coaches the Lakers starts with more talent than a Wizards' coach); a rating for strength of schedule for coaches who take over during the season.

PLAYOFF PERFORMANCE: yep, it really is a different game. Weaknesses get exposed; glossy won-loss records disappear in smoke.

I’m not smart enough to come up with a model, but somebody is. It’s a variation on sabrmetrics – an inferior variation, but still -- I’m getting tired of watching teams change coaches on instinct, without a shred of objective evidence to support them.

Posted by: Samson151 | December 14, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

By Ivan Carter | December 14, 2008; 12:39 AM ET
Previous: Wizards at 76ers |

I never thought I would be more upset with next coach than came behind Eddie J. Can somebody please spell HYPOCRITE!!! What was Stevenson doing in the 1st quarter and 2nd for that matter that got him all of the minutes in the second half?

He did not hit any shots in the 1st half and turned the ball over yet he was still able to get "his swirl on". However, McGee gets his shot blocked, being agressive mind you, and he is yanked out of the game.

I do not even remember seeing NY in the game and I watched the whole game. Something is really wrong with this whole picture. Yes I like how Tabscott is giving AB and DMac minutes, but what is his beef with McGee and NY???????

ERNIE G YOU NEED TO CHECK YOUR BOY TABSCOTT, BEFORE THIS THING GETS WORSE!!! EDDIE J I KNOW YOU ARE GETTING A KICK OUT OF THIS ONE..........

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 14, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

just wondering what it means that Tapscott knows Crittenton isn't getting into the game because he can't run the offense, but Pecherov is still a healthy scratch. He isn't even worth some more garbage time looks, in all these blowout losses? Ivan, it wasn't that long ago that we were imagining the possibilities for two 7 footers with range in the Wizards' frontcourt (Pech and Blatche). I remember you being pretty impressed by the initial workouts you saw, and EG even tried to hype Pech's rebounding abilities. So what gives? Is Pech out of the league at the end of the rookie contract? I'd love your perspective on what his deal is since we rarely see him. It's deja vu--a couple more years back, Kwame and Jared Jeffries were going the frontcourt of the future...oh god

Posted by: louis9 | December 14, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"Blatche, imo, has potential that he will never live up to, and that's mental. But the thing is, his draft position, as well as his salary, are both commensurate to the level of performance he gives. There are a number of teams that would take him as-is, at his current salary. Probably about 29 of them."

Twenty-nine? Don't think so. A few other teams may be interested in Blatche, but they'd mostly be bottom feeders desperate for some help and who believe in the old "change of scenery" gambit. A good team in a well-run organization would stay away from a guy with his demonstrated lack of discipline and commitment. He's not a player a winning team can count on.

His statistical production is certainly commensurate with his draft position, but that's not the same as his performance. His performance isn't just measured by stats. It's measured by execution, impact, professionalism, and reliability. He falls short on all of those. Most teams don't expect the same numbers from a low second round pick that they get from a lottery pick. bUt they expect every player on their roster to play hard and play smart when they're on the floor. That's not something that's measured on a sliding scale based on draft status.

Which ties into the real problem with Blatche and the Wizards. Both the fans and the team have expectations of Blatche's potential and role that are more in line with a lottery pick than a late second rounder. When the season starts off with veteran players, coaches, fans, and media all talking about how the play of the 49th overall pick could determine the team's playoff chances, that speaks directly to how flawed the makeup of this team is.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 14, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

EDIT:

I never thought I would be more upset with the next coach that came behind Eddie J.

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 14, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

at least the wiz aren't the only ones who suck in DC. they have company now: redskins stink, so do the nats

Posted by: rachel216 | December 14, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

As noted, Nick Young and McGee played much better with Eddie J. McGee's confidence under Tapscott has really plummeted. Eddie seemed to let him play his game, especially the offensive side.

Posted by: washwiz | December 14, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, anybody think that we'll hit 25 wins this season?

At least we still have the Redskins....uh wait.... never mind.

Go Caps!

Posted by: charley42 | December 14, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I know this might sound crazy, but maybe the Wiz are letting DS play because they are trying to trade him.

Posted by: bullets_0000 | December 14, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 14, 2008 4:44 PM

Kal,

Something we can agree on, that is why Blatche is on the Clipards, because they are not a well-run organization.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 14, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Still trying to make sense of not playing the young guys. I guess Tap is scared that if he doesn't play the vets, we will fall from the number 1 seed we currently hold in the Eastern Conference. Ooops! I was looking at the newspaper upside down.....

The losing would be more tolerable if the YOUNG players were getting the time. Going with the players who had it going? What the hell?? Was Tap watching the same game I was watching? Maybe he was referring to his dynasty season on NBA 2K9 for the Playstation 3. Come on..... I don't know what he considers "had it going." Do we have Kobe or Lebron? I know us fans are not professional basketball people, but please don't insult our intelligence.....

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | December 14, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz are in serious trouble. Personnel moves are the only hope they have now. Teams with many inexperienced players loose. Look at how long Atlanta lost with inexperienced players. Look at OK/Seattle and Memphis. Some inexperienced players can play right away. I don't think the Wiz have any of those players. I am not sure that they have any young players besides McGee that will eventually be good. Blatche who has fair experience should be producing more.

Next year is the time to evaluate the coaches. We need a coach that can teach defense. Coach Thibodeau may be willing to come to Washington as Head coach if the Wiz have any players who can play defense.

We need Larry Hughes back. It is time for Ernie G to get busy doing something that works.

Posted by: JoeC2 | December 14, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Do you idiots who bash Blatch actually watch a game. He is the only big that actually plays interior defense with his feet. Songalia tries but is too slow and short. As for McGee he is a swinging gate. Offense, tell me about Blatche's offense when he gets the shots that MeTawn and Caroom gets. He can play and is not problem and is not properly appreciated by Ivan or the people who bash him. Idiots.

Posted by: h20law2000 | December 14, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

ED TAPSCOTT STRUGGLING AS HEAD COACH!

I'm sure KALORAMA is wetting his pants right now.

Posted by: cj658 | December 14, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

KALORAMA, I wonder if you look as stupid as you sound. You come on here with this whole "well thought" explanation as to why 29 other teams "would not be interested in Blatche". Need I remind he's 23. 95% of the teams in the NBA right now would definitely take a chance on Blatche, given his age, salary, & potential. Kwame demonstrated the same negative attributes as Blatche during his time in DC, and subsequently the Lakers took a chance on him, and now even the Pistons have. I would hardly call those two teams "bottom-feeders". So, KALORAMA, what makes Blatche different?? Enlighten me.

Posted by: cj658 | December 14, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Continued from my post immediately preceeding this one---

And how could I possibly forget this "simple" tidbit of information, Blatche has played under the same HC his entire career, and in the same system his entire career. Not to mention the fact, he played under a guy who would yank him if he made one mistake. Believe me, there's no telling what a "breath of fresh air" could do for a guy like Blatche. And I guarantee 29 other teams are well aware of that.

Posted by: cj658 | December 14, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, could you find out what ETaps view is on Uptempo Run and Gun and basic floor defense. Basic floor defense means staying with your man as long as possible and keeping good position between him and the basket.

This helps weak defensive players play much better team defense and it is easier to Uptempo the ball once you rebound.

Why does he continue to play like he has superior offensive and defensive players? He does not and thats why so many bloggers complain about the players. My point is that the Wizards are primed to be Running and Gunning. I do not see this team winning any other way.

Ivan, I implore you, can you please find out why ETaps is not insistant on making this a Run and Gun team? Is there something that I am missing for him not to believe that the Wizs can win any other way.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 14, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: crs-one | December 14, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

EJ gets booted.....AB steps up his game.

If MeTawn gets traded.....AB becomes all star.

Don't say that's not possible!

Two monkeys off his back!

;-)

Just kidding.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 14, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

THANKS FOR PROVIDING US WITH SOME REAL STUFF FOR A CHANGE. KEEP IT UP. WIZ INCOMPETENCE IS NO SECRET.

Posted by: kcandlc | December 15, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

"Enlighten me."

As if such a thing were actually possible.

Kwame has one attribute that NBA teams will always covet: Legit NBA C size caple of playing defense. Whatever his other faults, at 6' 11" 270 lbs, he has a big athletic body that he's never shied away from throwing around under the glass. At the right price teams will overlook his stone hands if they think they can get 15 mpg of banging out of that body. More importantly, after his rocky road in the NBA, he seems to understand what he is and what his role is. He won't provide much, but he can provide a little of something that every team needs and is hard to find.

Blatche is a thin, jumpshooting finesse combo forward with poor work habits and unsteady focus. He's soft and shies away from contact and likes to pretend he's a PG on the break. He's a skill player whose skills aren't good or polished or dependable enough to overcome his regular lapses in judgment or court sense. Basically, he's still a project, which is why only a developing team would take him. Contending teams want guys who can be counted on the help in a concrete way. There's nothing about Blatche that says he can do that on a good team. He needs to be on a bad team, because that's the only way he'll get enough PT to hone his skills. On a good team his blunders would be too costly.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

"a professional should be able to perform regardless of if they have a coach who hurts their feelings. he may do well under a different coach, but that won't do anything by way of making a notable career. if it is indeed attributable to the coach (the most disposable character in the league), that will do nothing to establish consistency which is his greatest deficiency."

Exactly. (Of course, such obvious logic is too frequently wasted on some of the would-be geniuses around here.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

"Need I remind he's 23. ... Kwame demonstrated the same negative attributes as Blatche during his time in DC, and subsequently the Lakers took a chance on him, and now even the Pistons have. I would hardly call those two teams "bottom-feeders"."

Need I remind you that in the season immediately prior to trading for Kwame, the Lakers finished 7 games under .500, next to last in their division, and missed the playoffs for only the 5th time in franchise history? Which, by definition means that, at least in that year, they were, in fact, bottom feeders.

They were desperate for size with the FA defection of Shaq and the injury to Chris Mihm. The fact that they thought Kwame was the answer is clear indication of just how desperate they were. Blastche does not have a single concrete attribute on the court that teams will be desperate for (unless they have a deep yearning for soft finger-roll attempts and out-of-bounds passes).

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2008 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Dargreg,

Are you EJ's wife in disguise? Good god. You act like he was some coaching genius.

Damn, this team is missing it's BEST player and it's BEST center. Both starters! And we just got rid of our top two PG's that started the season to upgrade the position at least for the future. This season is over and dissecting individual games at this point is damn near useless. Yeah, the results are not going to be much different from Tap to EJ although I will say they were playing much crisper the first 7/8 games under Tap. Regardless, EJ is no coaching mensch. All the backing he gets from the Barkley's and other league talking heads now does not mean a thing. Ask Barkley how many full Wizards' games he has seen this year or last. They just know he is a classy guy and made the playoffs a few years in a row. This after brutalizing the team's defense (in Barkley's case) leading up to and during the playoffs as not being "anywhere near championship caliber" or "good enough to make any kind of playoff run."

Yet, EJ thought he should run Tom Thibidoeu (sp?) out of town. Like he had everything under control!

I will say if Unseld Jr. is being groomed somehow to be coach. It's all over! And, I guarantee that is not a EG idea whatsoever! I would take EJ any day over him.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 15, 2008 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 15, 2008 1:02 AM

Kal,

You have shown once again you know absolutely nothing about basketball.

FA Defection?

The Heat and Lakers finalized one of the most landscape-altering trades in NBA history Wednesday, O’Neal going to Miami in exchange for Caron Butler, Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and a first-round draft pick.

A good team in a well-run organization would stay away from a guy with Blatche’s demonstrated lack of discipline and commitment. Blatche is not a player a winning team can count on.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 14, 2008 4:44 PM

Kal,

Something we can agree on, that is why Blatche is on the Clipards, because they are not a well-run organization or a winning team.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 15, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

My opinions and observations:

EJ was definitely part of the problem but Tap is NOT the answer.

Young player development was supposed to be what Tap was doing before he became HC. What happened to that ? The younguns have regressed. Riddle me this... If we're losing with veterans with no upside, why not play the youngsters who could learn and potentially improve?

AB is a scapegoat whenever we lose. When AB plays well and we win, everybody here loves him but bemoans his lack of consistency. When we lose, he's a poor player who doesn't respect the game and doesn't work hard. AB is not the cause of a single win or loss this year. He doesn't play enough minutes. You want to blame someone, blame the coaches or the guys who are getting the time CB, AJ, DS are all playing major minutes. Pick one.

James is our best option at guard right now and it's sad to say. He's probably one of our quickest willing defenders and he is a shooting threat. Have we considered Juan and James together?

Has any decent team ever gone into a game thinking that they will make substitutions and dole out minutes based on who's hot? This goes for any sport. I understand feeding a guy who's making shots but making major playing time decisions on an ad hoc basis is just plain stupid. Play your best players, not your hot players. The best ones are presumably hot more often than the others.

The GM assembles talent. This team has talent. EG's not the problem.

McGuire clearly deserves more time. Again, it may say a lot about this team but he's earned it.

CB, Aj and DS are the main ones sulking, throwing up their hands when they don't get a call and not hustling back. I don't want to hear anything from them about the youngsters not playing hard.

Is there a better way to kill confidence than to start someone and yank them when they make a mistake? I agree with the above poster who suggested just bringing JM in off the bench for spot minutes.

Hard to believe that most of our defensive woes are a reult of no interior defensive presence(BTH). It's true, though. Does anyone here still hate on the guy?

Posted by: original_mark | December 15, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Last comment...

How smart and I for not renewing my Skins or Wizards season tickets this year?

I'm a freaking genius.

Posted by: original_mark | December 15, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

"They were desperate for size with the FA defection of Shaq and the injury to Chris Mihm."

BULLETSFAN78: Thanks for covering that blunder on Kalorama's part. I was getting ready to point that out, but you beat me to it.

Anyways, Kalorama. The Lakers had a down year sure, but as long as they have Phil as coach, and Kobe as player, they will NEVER be "bottom-feeders". That comment was laughable.

And as far as Blatche, you continue to harp on the fact that he demonstrates poor work-etchic. Kwame demonstrated the same "poor work-ethic", if not worse. I stand firm in believeing 29 other teams would jump at a chance to get Blatche, based on his age and price. Even teams like Cleveland, & LA would use him coming off the bench and playing 15 mins a game. You tend to forget he's been stuck in the same system, under the same harsh dictatorship (EJ) his entire career.

And finally, to quote you:
" When the season starts off with veteran players, coaches, fans, and media all talking about how the play of the 49th overall pick could determine the team's playoff chances, that speaks directly to how flawed the makeup of this team is."

Hardly the case. No players said that or anything along the lines of that. Find me a quote. The MEDIA (Ivan Carter) said that, not the players or coaches. And if the coaches did say that, what does that say about your pal Eddie??

Posted by: cj658 | December 15, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

It's interesting how Tapscott, until a few weeks ago the Director of Player Development, encourages his young players to get into a routine prior to playing each night, but then alters his rotations game-by-game. Let the kids play. What is there left to lose?

Posted by: Good2bOK | December 15, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

A point I made a while ago that it still pertinent. ...

By all accounts that matter, Gil is our best player. This makes AJ and CB complementary players. We should not have been expected to compete for a championship with complementary players.

Also, BTH is our best defensive player and perhaps the only one who really can affect a game defensively. With him out, we shouldn't expect but so much. Size and long arms make good interior defense. We don't have anyone with both right now. By size I mean height AND weight. Etan and DSong are too short while JM and AB are too light in the arse.

We're trying to get it done on defense but we're not physically equipped. This 'effort' on defense takes away from our offense.
If we were to decide to switch gears and go back to EJ's way of scoring first and defending second, we might not get past the first round but at least we'd have a chance to get there.

Run and gun. try to score 110 and hope you can hold the opponent to 109. It's the only way to win with this present team. Of every one on our roster, there are perhaps 2 players who are better suited to a slow game (Songaila and ET). Everyone else is markedly better in the open court. Cater to our skills, Tap. Use common sense. After sitting on the bench for all this time, sure ly you see that this Wiz team will NEVER be the defensive stoppers that you want them to be.
Emphazise the 3 and running. No more than 3 passes and a shot, that's it.

Go down swinging.

Posted by: original_mark | December 15, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Mark, what does it say when your "best player" can't get the team out of the first round of the playoffs, and that the team last season did just as well without the "best player?"

Still waiting for Stern to sub the Cavs/BouleS game on Christmas for something else.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 15, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

"Like someone else here suggested, can BTH play with a cast on his hand a la Oden at Ohio State? It's not like he was used as a scoring option anyway.

Posted by: original_mark | December 15, 2008 7:47 AM "

I posed this question 2 months ago.

BTH should have no issues with his cardio.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 15, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

88, it says to me that the best player needs more help...and not just on offense.

As for last year, it says to me that this team has a lot of talent and that's a credit to the GM. It also says that if the coach had figured out how to use BTH properly when Gil was healthy, we may have beaten Cleveland one of those years and advanced. The way I look at it, if we had Gil last year, we would have had a decent shot at getting to the 2nd or 3rd round of the playoffs. It's not like the team went to the playoffs last year in spite of Gil. They went without him. They'd have gone further with him. Just my opinion.

You may have something with the BTH-in-a-cast suggestion. I remember seeing it but it makes sense because the cast is coming off now. Pretty sad that Colossus in a cast may be better for us than any other option.

Posted by: original_mark | December 15, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

One thing I do not understand from many of the posters on here is this: Why does everyone keep saying that not having BTH is part of the reason the Wiz are doing so bad? Less I remind each and every one of you, this is the same guy we were all calling “Brenda” 2 seasons ago. He had a DECENT season last year, far from a productive one. Our center position is GARBAGE, and if BTH were playing right now, I’m guessing we may have won 1 or 2 more games at this point. He is not a difference maker, and never will be. Sorry guy, HE SUCKS!!! The problems lay way deeper, let’s start with Antawn (I robbed Abe Pollin) Jamison, and Caron (I fooled the fans into thinking I could be the star to carry this team) Butler. Those 2 are supposed to be All-Stars, and “captains”. It makes me sick how so many people on here point to the fact that BTH is not playing, and then try to blame Blatche. I feel bad for him that he has to be the scapegoat in all this.

Posted by: cj658 | December 15, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

And for all you people saying we miss BTH's defensive presence, yeah I guess you all are right LOL! We sure were a top-notch defensive team the past 3 seasons when he was seeing significat time. Cough, cough.

The reality is we are just as bad defensively with out BTH as we were with him. Wake up people. We need scoring. The past few playoff runs, we were at the bottom in defensive, but we were near the top in offense. Now were at the bottom in both, not a good combo. This is not a good defensive team and never will be, as long as AJ and Caron are the "leaders".

Posted by: cj658 | December 15, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

BTH in a cast= Etan Thomas on a bad day.

BTH playing in a cast has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on here. He was Garbage without one, imagine him with one hand. LOL, come on folks, get serious.

Posted by: cj658 | December 15, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

ORIGINAL MARK: I agree with your post regarding the fact we need to run & gun. The only way we will win games is to try to out score the opponent. But, the problem is we do not have a PG. I love Juan, but he’s not a PG. If we look at all the run & gun teams the past few years, they all had a true PG who could run the floor, set guys up, penetrate, and score:

Phoenix-Nash, Golden State-Baron, NY- Duhon, etc, you get my point.

This is what the Wizards lack, at least until Gimpert comes back, which is not happening this season, hence the Javaris C trade.

Posted by: cj658 | December 15, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

what a great video about gilbert arenas...hahahaha...

Posted by: jasonma1 | December 15, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I'm 50/50 with you, cj658. JD isn't the best at running but James may work.

I believe that BTH made the difference between us being bad and being the worst in the league defensively. He's clearly good against Z and Dwight Howard but probably doing just as good a job against other more heralded low post guys. It's just hard to see it.

I personally think he's a good defensive presence on a team with no other defensive players. Put him on a team that wants to play D and is suited to it and he's borderline all-defense.

Posted by: original_mark | December 15, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

1. The Wizards offense is stagnant, all the other teams have mastered it by now, know how to defend it well. A change of offensive schemes requires a good coach, not Tapscott who is using the old stuff.
2. Andray Blatche is not a center, he should play at his position: forward. Let Blatche and McGee or Blatche and Pech play at the same time so they can protect the paint.
3. The Wizards defense coach should be fired and replaced by someone else. It's not working this sagging defense thing which just avoids fouls to no avail. I'm sick of watching the Wiz pick up the opposing PG at the key, when they should be sticking to him near the half court line to slow the ball down.

Posted by: rickgonz | December 15, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

FREE J. MCGEE AND NICK YOUNG!!!

TABSCOTT YOU NEED TO USE THE SAME METHOD YOU ARE IMPLOYING ON MCGEE AND NY ON YOUR MAIN MEN STEVENSON AND AJ. NO MORE DOUBLE STANDARDS!! DANG I THOUGHT THAT WAS OVER WHEN EDDIE J' GOT FIRED!

DON'T WORRY MCGEE AND NY, FOLKS SEE WHAT IS GOING ON. LETS HOPE ERNIE G GOES AND HAVE A "LITTLE TALK" WITH HIS "TEMPORARY" COACH...

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 15, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

For the Princeton, or really any other offense to work at the pro level a team has to have a guard that can begin to create the mismatch by beating his man off the dribble. The Wiz haven't had anyone to do that, the jury is out on if James or Crittenton can be that person.

Stevenson has not played well enough to start, at this point McGuire has shown an ability to help the team. Move Butler to the two more and start Mcguire at the three.

As soon as James picks up the basics start him at point and use Dixon as the number one backup guard along with Young. They seemed to be developing some chemistry together.

Posted by: flohrtv | December 15, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I've not read all the comments, but it's clear that most people believe as I do that there has got to be some serious friction in that locker room. The past and present coach is doling out playing minutes based on years in the league instead of game performance. The former coach said that his young guys had been outplaying his starters since training camp, but for some reason he did not give them the minutes they’d work for. We have a new coach, but he’s kept the same philosophy. Vets can do no wrong, but if a young guy makes a mistake he stands a good chance of getting taken out the game. You’re part of a team, but you’re not being treated equally has got to be causing problems.
In addition, we had two coaches who for some unknown reason will not play his size. The coach has access to 3 guys (JM, AB and yes OP) and none of them can get in the game at the same time. ET’s first game as coach he played JM and AB together, however, for some reason refuses to do it even when everyone can see his team is getting killed on the boards. When you’re not playing your best player and your best line up you can lose a team and it is clear EJ and ET has lost this team.
Another thing, you have your two co-captains calling out the young players on the team in the press, although by the time the young guys get in the game they’re 10 points behind. And you have all reports in the media placing blame for the team’s problems on the young players. The Wizards have turned into a team with two parts (separate and unequal) vets and young guys. If this keeps up I promised you that one of the young guys are going finally start speaking up for themselves in the press and that’s when the you know what is going to hit the fan.
I see everyone arguing over Andray Blatche’s performance. That’s another discussion; however, it leads to the last major problem with this team. In essence, most of the young guys have been told they can do no wrong by passing the ball to either AJ or CB. In addition, since young guys know when they make their first mistake they’re coming out of the game so they all defer to both AB and CB before they take a shot. So when the young guys take most of their shots its when the shot clock is running down after CB or AJ couldn’t get off a shot. Someone already said that each of those guys get 20 shots a game and I believe the next closest player is most likely Stevenson at about 10-12 shots a game. That does not leave many shots for the rest of the team.
I’m a big Wizards fan so I’ll be watching them tonight, but I don’t expect much. What’s gets me through is reading comments and seeing people who see the same problems as I do.

Posted by: 33dgriffin | December 15, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I just wish someone with the team was actually reading this blog. I'm not saying we're all basketball geniuses but some decent suggestions have come from this blog waayyy before they were implemented or even tried.

Posted by: original_mark | December 15, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice that AD had 5 assists in only 9 minutes last night? Perhaps it's our offense that sucks here and not the players so much... at least on offense.

Posted by: original_mark | December 15, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dhvani | December 15, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 33dgriffin | December 15, 2008 1:03 PM

33dgriffin - Excellent points in your post. Glad to see there is someone else along with us few seeing the "double standard" rule being used to perfection first by Eddie J' and now Eddie Tabscott.

As I have said before, I am really surprised Tabscott is doing the same thing Eddie J' was doing with the youngsta's and also playing "slow smallball" alot.

Ernie G' I have been trying to back you on your decision for firing Eddie J', but if you are going to have your right hand man coach the games the same way Eddie J' did you my as well have keep Eddie J' on board.

I just want somebody who is going to give McGee, NY, DMac and AB equal run thats all. I want to see AB and McGee in the game together sometimes. I even want to see if OPEC is a bust or not.

Tabscott please use your own coach's manual and stop using the one Eddie J' left in his office.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 15, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Monday Night......whomever signed off on the trade was delusional. Now there isn't a point guard that will defer.....or one that will give consistant effort on both ends of the floor.( Juan.....how about giving more than your shot?) They knew what they were getting when they brought him back, but did it anyway!!!

Posted by: swhenderson54 | December 15, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse