Celtics 122, Wizards 88

Not much to say about this one folks. Ugly game, total blowout.

The Celtics are 21-2 for the first time in franchise history and have won 13 straight. The Wizards are 4-16 and still looking for consecutive wins.

It's the worst loss of the season for the Wizards and the largest margin of victory for the Celtics. When the Wizards did threaten to make things interesting late in the 3rd, when Caron Butler hit a jumper to make it 84-74 Boston, the C's closed the quarter on a 5-0 run and then blew the game open early in the fourth when Eddie House followed a pair of Paul Pierce scores by hitting back-to-back 3's.

The WIzards then had to suffer through the indignity of listening to Boston fans chant for human victory cigar Brian Scalabrine

The new guys - Mike James and Javaris Crittenton - saw some action but neither had a chance to do much. James came out aggressive as advertised but missed all six of his shots and finished with one point, one steal and one assist in 11 minuts. Crittenton only played the final six minutes and didn't record a stat.

By Ivan Carter  |  December 11, 2008; 11:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celtics at Wizards
Next: TNT's Halftime Report

Comments

"Coach Ed Tapscott said he'll use tomorrow's practice to start getting both players familiar with the offensive and defensive systems."

Think he can get Deshawn in on that as well? Why is he starting?

This season the whole league is laughing at this team while saying repeatedly, "How's it taste, motherf-----!"

iceberg

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | December 11, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Ivan - Can you ask Tabscott if he is thinking about sitting down Stevenson and letting him work on his game against the other team's 2nd stringers.

It is time to turn that starting 2 spot over to NY and let him learn under "live bullets". Why is Stevenson still starting? Is that to keep his starting game streak alive?

Also, why does it seem like McGee is the new AB when it comes to the coach? McGee looks unsure now, like AB used to look with Jordan was coaching?

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 11, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Human Victory Cigar, is that a case of writer's block? Think of a better analogy next time Ivan.

Posted by: bassguy654 | December 11, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

20 games with 4 wins in the box...not good

All Aboard the fail boat!

Posted by: WizardsExtreme | December 11, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Crittenton only played the final six minutes and didn't record a stat.

Posted by Ivan Carter

Man, how can u forgot to say he has 4 turnovers in 5 mins

Posted by: forbid | December 11, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

DSteve needs to get da f*&^ out of dis team! sick and tired of his attitude and the way he plays

Posted by: forbid | December 11, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Crittenton only played the final six minutes and didn't record a stat.

Posted by Ivan Carter

Man, how can u say he didnt record a stat. He has 4 turnovers in 5 mins. That a stat for you if u didnt notice!!

Posted by: forbid | December 11, 2008 11:45 PM

Posted by: forbid | December 11, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Well its looks like the ETAP fan club members are eroding fast,I'd like to say i'm surprised but i'm not ETAP has no business coaching the Wizards or any NBA team for that matter you can say what you want about Jordan but he was well organized and prepared night in and night out.I would love to interview AD now that he is gone and get his view on EJ's departure but all of you EJ critics couldn't wait for him to be canned.They beat the Celtics three out of four last season and it was EJ's scheme and his x's and o's that played a huge part in those wins, so here's hoping we get a good lottery pick cause that's where we're headed and oh yeah Mike James is a bald headed version of Deshawn Stevenson a "bricklayer".

Posted by: dargregmag | December 11, 2008 11:31 PM

Never was a Tabscott fan and never confessed to be. I just wanted somebody coaching who was going to play the younger guys more and not have them on a short leash. I thought that was going to happen after Eddie J was fired.

Well to my surprise and many, Tabscott is doing the same thing Jordan did. Yes, he is giving AB more minutes and doing it consistently; but now McGee has become the new whipping boy.

Tabscott also is doing the same thing to NY and in a blowout game he decides to play Song. instead of letting McGee or AB get those minutes.

As I have told you before, I had nothing against Eddie J as a coach and I liked him and wanted him to stay, but his constant stance at not giving AB any minutes and also McGee made me want a change.

However, if I knew we were going to be getting the same style of coaching Eddie J' was doing, Eddie J could have went on and stayed here.

As for your AD point, remember him and Eddie J had a pretty heated meeting a couple of weeks ago prior to his Eddie J's firing. Be careful of what you might ask for, because AD did not seem to sad when Eddie J was let go.

However on the other hand Caron, Stevenson, and AJ seemed to be the most upset. AB, Haywood, Juan, AD did not seem all that upset when they were asked about it........

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 11, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, how does ETaps use JM in practice? And who looks better in practice, JM or AB?

I made a prediction at the beginning of the season that JM would be a better player than ET, DSong, and AB combined.

I also said that JM would turn out to be the best player in his draft.

And something else I believe, I think that EG thinks along these lines too.

So explain to us Ivan what ETaps is doing ref JM.

A lot of us are confused.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 11, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

maybe Stevenson should change it from "I can't feel my face" to "I don't feel like playing". he deserves to be benched more than anyone.

why is it that McGee and Blatche have short leashes, but DeShawn doesn't?

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 11, 2008 11:57 PM | Report abuse

This game was for anyone who still wants this team to try and make the playoffs. If the Wizards got lucky and five other team planes crashed they might squeak into the 8th playoff spot and get swept by Boston. How does that benefit this team in the long run? Because I want this team to get better I know there are only three ways to do that.

1. Through good draft picks, usually they are lottery picks.
2. Through free agency? This team is at the luxury cap threshold so that is not going to happen.
3. Good trades, could anyone see cheap ABE doing what Boston did last year and end up with a payroll of 80 million?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I said when EJ was still coach that EG would not let him mismanage JM like he did to BH. Even though I do not agree with how ETaps is using JM, I do not think he will mismanage him. If it becomes evident that he is, he will be gone just like Eddie.

Have faith Wizard Fans, Ernie Grunfield is in the drivers seat now and he intends on winning this race.

LarryInClintonMD.

The trouble with hiring coaches with no prior experience or never won anything in their lives is that they will ride the veterans due to insecurity. They have no confidence and are too scared and too impatient to rely or develop young talents. That is why I was really puzzled by the hiring of Eddie Tapscott. He must have spewed some real BS or kiss some real behinds to land this position. Ernie better realize this quick and start scouting the for a real coach ASAP.

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 11, 2008 11:27 PM

JohnWWW that is a real good analogy. I totally agree, but mayber Ernie G. might have thought that since ETaps has a good executive resume, that he would not fall in this trap. I sincerely hope thats the case and if ETaps does not recognize it, I'm with you all the way. Great point.

LarryInClintonMD.

So Ivan, what about ETaps philosophy of meshing his vets with the young talents.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 12, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Tapscott is no Larry Brown but this has nothing to do with him. This team can't defend to save their life...did anyone see how many easy layups, put back and undefended drives to the lane Boston had?

IVAN PLEASE ASK TAPSCOTT WHY THE HELL STEVENSON IS STILL STARTING???? His game has been absolutely atrocious he turns the ball over, can't score to save his life, and isn't stopping anyone defensively!

When the hell is this clown going to get benched?? He's almost singlehandedly killing the Wizards first quarter....he takes a ton of shots and misses. Ivan you got to do a story on this.

Posted by: insanity999 | December 12, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I have noticed that McGee played better with more confidence under Eddie J. It now seems like his confidence factor has changed and his offensive scoring is down.

Posted by: washwiz | December 12, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Also, when the camera kept showing a view of E.G.up in the booth, he looked really upset/angry, nervous and disappointed.

Posted by: washwiz | December 12, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

BulletFans78, I thought I told you to take it easy on the Old Man. Are you kin to him. Did he steal the family fortune from you. Why are you so convinced that the Ole Man has to break the salary cap to be a winner and get rid of the cheap label.

BulletFans78, you know I feel you, but come on. I am a Bullets fan from way back, so let me ask you a question. Had Ole Abe bought the Bullets when they let Earl the Pearl Monroe get away to the New York Knickerbockers? Ifin' he hadda awlready bought the team then I might kinda agree why you so hard on Ole Abe.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 12, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Atrocious defense tonight. Tony Allen burned Caron on like 3 or 4 drives. I don't know how many passes were stolen at the top of the key and taken in for dunks and and1's. It's going to be tough for the Wiz to dig out of this hole - on pace to win 17 games. We're in the Blake Griffin sweepstakes.

Posted by: t-train | December 12, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Ok
Stevenson
Etan

THOSE TWO NEED TO BE TRADED NOW!!

Get Chicago on the phone, see if they will take Etan, Stevenson and Pecherov

For Hughes and a filler.

Posted by: mikejc80 | December 12, 2008 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Dargregmag, you got it all backwards. There never has been an ETaps fan club. It was always a fire Eddie fan club. Nobody that I know of called for ETaps to be hired. Their were a lot of names thrown out their, but not his.

Some of us wants him to do well cause we are Wizs fans and to see them win, But ETaps ain't never had no fan Club.

If you don't know.....

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 12, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

I believe any organization is run from the top down. Last year when they refused to go out and sign a player (so they would have enough bodies at practice) because it would put them over the luxury cap was the last straw. Then they resign Gilbert and AJ just to keep fans coming to games. The two of them showed when they were younger and healthy they could not get it done.

Mark Cuban has never won a championship but last year he made a trade for Jason Kidd hoping it would be the right piece to get them over the top. What do the Wizards do? Go out and trade for Mike James? The Wizards need an owner who wants to win more then the fans do. That is what Dallas fans get with Mark Cuban.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 12:42 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

What do you think hiring Etaps was all about? Why not go out and spend the money on a coach that has a proven track record? Because Etaps was already on the payroll! CHEAP is CHEAP

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Any chance D.Song was getting garbage time minutes to pad stats before being traded? If not, him playing at the end there is completely absurd.

Posted by: dante232 | December 12, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78.

I agree that good orgs' start from the top down. I just think you are a bit to tough on the top dog.

And look around the league at some of best new head coaches, they did not come with no high price tag or proven track records, i.e., Cleveland, Boston, New Orleans, New Jersey when they first picked up the young guy, Chicago, Toronto. All they needed was a chance. ETaps has his and if he does not produce, than maybe we can go get Darrel Walker, or even better, Mark Jackson. Mark Jackson, no head coaching experience, but I bet he'd do better than EJ and Etaps cause I know he'd be a Uptempo coach. Shakin and Bakin Baby, Mark Jackson, who could run the ball, and be a post up guard at the same time. But I'm getting away with myself.

Point is they are tryin and you never know who is the right man for the job until you give him a chance, experience or not, vet or rookie, just do something.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 12, 2008 1:33 AM | Report abuse

WE ARE NOT A JOKE WE NEED TO MAKE MORE MOVES

DeShawn Stevenson + Oleksiy Pecherov mybe a futur 2nd rd pick

to memphis for

Brian Cardinal sf/pf (2010) expiring

--------------- then

Etan Thomas + Mike James + Brian Cardinal (2010) expirings

to new jersey for

Vince Carter mybe we give them the 09 2nd or a futur 1st

Gilbert / Crittenton / Dixon

Carter / Young / Crittenton

Caron / McGuire / 2009 1st (if lucky Blake Griffin could play some SF for us)

Jamison / Blatche / Songaila

Haywood / McGee / Blatche

Im just saying that if we ever want to win a Championship....

we are going to have to take a chance on a big name SUPERSTAR like VINCE CARTER ..... mybe he is not the same player he used to be but his name still is .... he will bring a big change in the locker room .... A much needed boost of attention to a unapreciated by the media team... a almost depressed forgotten team, ... a new HOPE is what our team needs .....the players will wake up & be pumped up hyped to play and see that there really could be somthing special here in DC... crowds will show up to cheer our new motivated energized team... espn media brodcastors will pick us as real posible contenders ... and that is what Vince Carter could bring to Washington DC +plus+ he still know how to put that ball in that basket lol

but really we are not going to win a championship by picking up low risk players... that is going to make us low risk championship contenders Nothing will Change

.... i really dont think that DESHAWN or OTHERS could bring that emotional change that Vince Carter could bring to our locker room and crowd

REMEMBER.....
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!
ask the celtics

Posted by: jahbless420 | December 12, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Im just saying that if we ever want to win a Championship....

REMEMBER.....
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!
ask the celtics

Posted by: jahbless420 | December 12, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

"What do the Wizards do? Go out and trade for Mike James?"

Come on BulletsFan, you've always been rather emotional, but your posts are becoming much less thought out. Anyone knows that James was just a throw-in to make salaries work. The Wiz wanted JC and are hopping they can develop him. I felt bad for him last night. You could see DMac trying to tell him where to go in the different offensive sets. I look forward to watching him get the minutes that he has never received. Lets hope he develops.

Posted by: SportzWiz | December 12, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

For games like this it's healthier to not even watch. If you watch the games on DVR or Tivo I recommend checking out www.shouldiwatch.com. It will warn you if your team got blown out - but won't spoil the outcome if it was close. I created the site because I'm a Warriors fan and it has worked for me. Thought it might help you guys too.

Posted by: evschu | December 12, 2008 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Thanks SportsWiz for having some common sense. Coming to this blog is making less and less sense. I can debate, but there is no debating complete nonsense.

I am as big a fan as anyone of JaVal, but there was one play tonight where, if I were coach, he would have never played the rest of the night. Late 1st qtr, JaVAl was back on D and "waiting" for his him to come down court. Well, his man finally came down the court and he was completely oblivious as he went for the worst ball fake ever from whomever had the ball on the wing (already guarded well!) and HIS GUY went behind him for an easy layup. I don't think he ever saw his man ever whereas I saw that play coming from my LIVING ROOM for at least 5 seconds beforehand. The whole play I was thinking JaVAl "FIND YOUR MAN", but he displayed the basketball IQ of 0 on that play. My pickup basketball game has 100 times more bball IQ than he displayed then!

Anyway, how did did JD do running the O tonight? Stagnant is the word! Ok, I like him as well, but when your a "tweener" and dribble the ball rapidly 500 hundred times on offese, things get stagnant very quickly. AND, he no longer has the consistent shot to compensate. He plays well 1 out of 5 games, yipee!

Bottomline: we laid an egg tonight against the Champs after a major trade for us although barely a blip nationally, bc we suck. Next!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 12, 2008 2:30 AM | Report abuse

This team needs a good coach. I know the talent level on the Celtics is far superior to the Wiz. But to me the coaching of the Celts is o/s, and I think the main difference is Tom Thibodeau.

You remember him, EG supposedly hired him to join the Wiz last year, but after meeting with EJ, decided to not take the position, and wound up with the Celtics.

Granted he has no head coach experience, but has 20+ years of coaching, and I do believe that defense is coaching. Getting the players to buy in or be gone.
The Celtics defense is what wins them games consistently, and Garnett is the only Defensive All Star.

The defense of the Wiz is a siv, forget about it. No challenging beyond the foul line, no feet movement, just hand and arm reaching, pathetic. Last minute dashes with the offensive players driving past them at will. What is that jump out stuff, other than guranteeing that at least 2 men will be open with 2 passes.

Defense dictates the game, not offense. All NBA players know offense.

Also ball movement is the essential for so many years of successful franchises.
The Wiz are potent offensively when they move the ball, and woeful when Caron and AJ decide to take over the game alone.

Also as I have said so many times, this team needs a serious work out ethic. Especially the younger guys...too thin, need more mass and muscle.

Posted by: maxman2162 | December 12, 2008 2:46 AM | Report abuse

Maxman,

First, the whole Thib episode from my recollection was EG pushed it and "hired" him and based on EJ's feeling "uncomfortable" (Translation: EJ did not make him feel welcome), he bailed out. Anyway, neither EJ nor Tap nor Thib is going to get non-defensive players to be shut down defenders. Hell, we have one of the worst defensive "all-star" caliber player's starting that I've ever seen and CB is not that much better the more I watch him on D. Anyway, EJ got fired mainly for his lack and/or ability to develop the young talent on the roster. IMHO!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 12, 2008 3:00 AM | Report abuse

AJ makes players like Alex English and Mark Aguirre look like all NBA defensive players. Just focus on him playing D for 2/3 games.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 12, 2008 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SportzWiz | December 12, 2008 1:42 AM

James was just a throw-in to make salaries work…

That is my point JC would have learned a lot more from having AD here since he knows the players on this roster better then James. They could have gotten JC for the pick and cut DB but that would have put them over the luxury cap by about 700,000 and penny for penny that would have cost the old man 1.4 million. They could have released Juan and that would have helped with the cap space. The reason ABE will never go over the luxury cap is because he will lose the money that comes in from the teams that are over it. So, ABE makes money from teams who are willing to spend to win, while Wizard fans get to watch garbage?

My posts are not based on emotion they are based on reality. Harold Katz ran the Sixers the same way for years. It took a company with money like Comcast to turn that organization around.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 5:45 AM | Report abuse

We HAVE to trade Stevenson and Thomas.... oh wait, nobody wants them either...

Posted by: rachel216 | December 12, 2008 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Daniels for James may have been strickly about the money, when the Wizards' share of the Luxury Tax distribution is figured the total cost of picking up Crittenton and keeping Daniels could have reached 4 to 5 million dollars. Not chump change in this economy.

When it's anyone else management ships out the unhappy player if possible weather they fire the coach or not. Daniels wasn't a happy camper this season, there wasn't a lot said, but he hurt himself over the summer. Those situations lead to a lot of tension between management and the player. Remember the punter that the Redskins had the running fued all year over an undisclosed injury? I think when they got beat in the playoffs in Tampa he had to find his own ride home.

James is a classic "package guy" like Joe Smith he's a guy that can always be bundled up in a package and sent packing. And when he gets in the other lockerroom the other team knows about what to expect.

I'd expect that sometime between now and the trade deadline next season Ernie will have him packaged with Songaila, Etan, or Stevenson or other spare parts in some sort of deal.

Posted by: flohrtv | December 12, 2008 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Please dump Stevenson EG, he's absolutely horrid.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 12, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

On the bright side of things, the Wizards are one loss closer to a lottery pick. 4-16. Only about 45 more losses to go. Noth that a lottery pick is a guarantee of anything, but it's not nothing.

The Wizards should go ahead and play Etan big minutes, so he can get his timing back or his wind back or whatever he needs to get back to where he was pre-heart surgery.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | December 12, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Let's be serious for a minute.

First. Stevenson. HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS. A complementary player. He is not a great ballhandler, he is not a creator, or someone who should be counted on as someone to help carry the offense. He is a good spot up shooter and a decent defender. Do you remember the playoffs when Gilbert and Caron were out? How bad he was in the forefront? When Gilbert gets back and the scoring pressure is off of him...it might be a different story. You can't expect him to be something that he is not.

All these trade scenarios...you think people are just going to give stuff away?
Gilbert makes this team go...he's not here. That's just the situation. DS has had a horrible start to the season...maybe it will turn around.

Fans are so fickle...

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 12, 2008 8:09 AM | Report abuse

Critt, Young, DMac, Blatche, McGee...that's a nice infusion of youth once Etan, DSong, James, and the rest of the old guys are gone...even if this season is crap...the future is alot brighter.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | December 12, 2008 8:12 AM | Report abuse

"But Daniels outbursts with Eddie could have a lot to do with it too. My sense is that Ernie felt Eddie was losing control of the team. When the player that's voicing his disatisfaction is a superstar with a long contract, management often fires the coach and makes nice with the player."

GM'er, your comments lost credibility when you called AD a "superstar."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 8:45 AM | Report abuse

"The Wizards under Grunfeld are a very closed lipped operation, as he's gained more and more control the leaks in the organization have become smaller and smaller. Team beat reporters thrive on access, print rumors and he said, she said stuff, and a team can freeze out access."

Unless your name is Gilby Arenas...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU, he is who we thought he was? we thought he was a 30% from the field shooter and a 25% 3 point shooter?

DS sucks, and there is no way in HELL he should be starting right now, if even playing. I can't believe we're 20 games into the season and he's playing this badly and he hasnt been benched for a SINGLE GAME. Ridiculous, whatever gig he has going Tapscott and Grunfeld he's a genius.

Etan Thomas onthe other hand is like 5'2 and plays center. He has no offensive game, he can't grab rebounds, and he doesn't play defense. He needs to focus on poetry full time.

Also, I don't see why people are yelling at Tapscott...he's no Larry Brown but these players are not playing defense, there were infinite number of uncontested layups, 3 pointers, dunks, and drives to the lane the wizards gave up....it's simply either ignorance, inability to defend, or they just don't care.

Posted by: insanity999 | December 12, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

"Last night's effort was about what I expected on the first game after a "glue guy" was traded. It's still a trade that makes sense and is a reasonable gamble. Crittiton is the key, if he develops with playing time it could be a great trade."

The last sentence is meaningless..in typical GM fashion.

The same could be said that if gymrat (ska OPech) develops, he could be the next Sabonis!

If NY develops, it could be a great draft pick.

If DMac develops, it could be a great draft pick.

If Peter John develops, he could be the next Mutombo.

If JCN develops, he could be the next Drazen Petrovic.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Least the old guys on the Celtics play. I am sure if Allen, Garnett, Pierce were with the Wizards, all 3 would come up lame and miss months.

The area teams have way above average injuries. Must be something in the water.

Tapscott is doing the best he can with a depleted unit. Wonder how the Celtics would do with Garnett and Allen missing most of the season? On yeah, terrible because that is how the Celtics were prior to their arrival.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 12, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"GM'er, your comments lost credibility when you called AD a "superstar.""

Posted by: crs-one | December 12, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Which team would be better at the end of a full season of playing together for 35 minutes a game?

1) Stevenson, Dixon, Butler, Jamison, Song - coach EJ, ass. coach Taps

2) Critt, Young, DMac, Blatche, McGee - coach Thibodeau, ass. coach Ayers

Folks, it doesn't matter if Arenas and Haywood come back and the Wiz make the playoffs. If Blatche, McGee and Young don't improve enough to be solid subs, the Wiz will never get past the first round.

Wiz Nation, play the young guys! No short leases. No dog houses. Just coaching fundamentals.

Posted by: Izman | December 12, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Ivan please tell Tap the fans hate the play of DeBrick Stevenson and Etan. The numbers show they should NEVER play. They give you absolutely nothing. Maybe Stevenson isn't in a shooting slump, maybe this is the best he can do. I know he had a few good games in the past but so did Ruffin and he could never be confused for a legit NBA starter. At this point I would even consider a Marbury for Etan and Stevenson trade. I haven't looked at the numbers to see if it would work under the CBA but I would put up with Marbury's crap for one year just to dump those two clowns. Plus he could come in and start immediately.

Posted by: dhbond | December 12, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I'm I the only one who thinks that Deshawn was shaving points? I mean, some of the turnovers he created were blatant. David Stern might want to look into this. Or Tapscott needs to pull the trigger and sit him down. There's no way he should be in the starting lineup with talent like Nick Young and Mcguire on the bench!

Posted by: CBell29 | December 12, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Point shaving? Hmmmm........ Makes you wonder dosen't it?

Posted by: dhbond | December 12, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"Reading comprehension, dcman. He did not refer to AD as a superstar, although he could have worded it better. AD fell into the category of "When it's anyone else management ships out the unhappy player if possible"

Posted by: crs-one | December 12, 2008 9:11 AM "

Sorry, you need better reading comprehension. GM'ers used AD as the superstar example. If it was a generic mention of what a superstar can do, then why bother using AD as the basis of the argument in an attempt to reinforce the point?:

So Mike and Ivan are going to be loath to print a lot of what has to be going on behind the scences in a dismal season. But my quess is there's more going on with shipping out Daniels then has been reported."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

"I called Daniels a Superstar"???

I said," When the player voicing disatisfaction is a superstar with a long contract, management often fires the coach and makes nice with the player."

Daniels is neither a superstar or had a long contract, and he's now in New Orleans.
If you noticed I went on to compare Daniels injury situation to the Redskins punter that hid an injury from the team.
I COMPARED HIM TO A PUNTER. Other then Ray Guy I can't think of one punter I'd classify as a superstar.

Have a cup of coffee, slow down and read and comprehend.

Crittenton is the key to this trade, I'll stand by my judgement that James is a "Package Guy", I'd wager he'll be gone by trade deadline next year along with some other spare parts.

From what I've seen I'd already classify McGuire as a successful second rounder. A second rounder that sticks on a roster is generally considered a success.

If the second round pick that yeilded Navarro is converted into a top 19 pick with potential, I'd consider that a good deal. It all hinges on what Crittenton does with his talent now. He's certainly where he'll get a chance to play.

Part Joe Ramos, he's no Ming Ming but I do remember somebody posting on here not long ago about how well he was playing in Europe and we should pick him up.

I was never in the Part Joe fan club, the guy never worked at his game from what I saw. In my opinion the Wizards should start to activate Pecherov and see what they've got. He may well be a bust.

Maybe by hiding him they can still market him as a first rounder. Who knows. This team is surely lottery bound, when 1/2 of your projected top six players are either out or playing lame not a team in the league that can overcome that.

Posted by: flohrtv | December 12, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting for that much ballyhooed legendary gym rat to actually play some meaningful minutes and contribute though. Then he could be a superstar too.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

No way Stevenson gets heavy minutes anymore. With this trade, we get a guy, Crittenton, that can swing between both guard positions.

Before the trade, Stevenson was logging minutes out of necessity, since he was the only person that could 'aptly' (snicker, snicker) play both guard positions without compromising any height (Dixon's heard his whole life that he is smallish to play the two; Daniels was gimpy; Young can only play the 2).

That said, as long as James & Crittenton are healthy, they'll be logging decent minutes, along with Dixon and Young. This creates a logjam in the backcourt, meaning that the guy who struggles won't get any PT. Also, I think, regardless of struggles, Young & Crittenton will get at least a dozen mins/gm, most likely more. Stevenson, Dixon & James probably won't have as long as a leash. I couldn't keep a straight face as I typed that (see McGee), but I think that's what's going to happen...

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

The last sentence is meaningless..in typical GM fashion.

If NY develops, it could be a great draft pick.

If DMac develops, it could be a great draft pick.

If Peter John develops, he could be the next Mutombo.

If JCN develops, he could be the next Drazen Petrovic.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 8:51 AM
-------------

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

"It's a good trade, isn't it? Or is the jury still out to see how the 2015 2nd round pick (or cash!!) turns out? The conditional pick is just that, conditional, it could be that the team never receives any pick from the Grizz...

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 10:41 AM "

A good trade is one that allows an immediate impact....not one that adds another few question marks and/or variables to the equation.

Les BouleS, with the signing of Gilby to max money and AJ to $50 mil at 32 years old is built to win now, not 3-4 years down the road when the entire team can be flipped over again since most of the young guys will come due with new contracts and a potentially new roster.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Not bashing Mike James, but the Celtics did pop off a huge run to effecitively ice the game after his steal and failed attempt at an 'aggressive' lay up at the end of the 3rd.

You can't blame it on James being new considering it was 2-1 fast break with Caron trailing feet behind the new guy.

I thought that was a huge play, or lack thereof, for the Wizards ending their momentum.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | December 12, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 10:44 AM
-------

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night, total massacre. Forget that, we all knew the Wiz can't hang with a real team. The real story last night was the fan attendance. Mike and Ivan, you should do a piece about this. Really needs to be discussed. The upper deck was filled with nothing but Celtic fans. They had a LOUD "let's go Celtics" chant. Terrible. No Wiz fans at the game last night, even in the lower sections there were plenty of green shirts. At other games against non big name opponents, the upper deck is completely empty. I wonder how many people, who post their words of wisdom on this blog, actually attend any of the games.

2 years ago this wouldn't have happened. I remember the Wiz beating the Celtics pretty good, pre KG and Ray Allen. No Celtic fans at the game back then. I think there are so many bandwagon fans in this area. Look at the Skins game against the Steelers. Steeler fans waving their towels around like it were a home game. It showed to me that this area isn't a great sports town, last night made this point even clearer.

To anyone who says if the fans stop going to the Wiz games Abe will change things around, wrong. There have been plenty of empty seats for a good majority of the games this season. Team still stinks. That trade won't help this team win more games. Has to be Jamison or Arenas, but that window to get a quality player in return has passed.

Until the Wiz play defense, they'll never be a contender. Maybe 2 or 3 players on this team make an effort to play defense. If anyone thinks Gil will save the day, not going to happen. Not with this team.

I know Eddie Jordan is somewhere smiling, knowing he wasn't the sole reason this team got off to a horrible start. Until defense is a # 1 priority, we'll never be a contender. I'll still go to the games, question is will any other Wizard/Bullet fans be there with me?

Posted by: wizfan81 | December 12, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Pech (as I usually do), can he really be any worse than Etan? A case can be made that Songaila is better because he can shoot and has proven he can shoot. Etan has few skills.
DS needs to be benched and if he isn't soon, let's get another coach who isn't blinded by veteran loyalty. It was telling that last night DS came out early after a few straight turnovers and NY came in the game. I can see the benching coming.

This game was against the best in the league and our first without a point guard. It's not really a good gauge of progress.

Contrary to what others think, I saw some things I like out of James. He seems to have some quickness that neither DS, AD have. He also seems to use that quickness purposefully on offense AND defense. His shot was just off. I saw him jump a screen and cut a person off when they tried to drive last night. I also saw him steal a crosscourt pass (his teammate knocked it out of his hands). I think we can survive with him getting some minutes as long as we have complementary parts around him. He's certainly better than AD, IMO.
I saw AB play early and then disappear. What's the deal with that? I don' necessarily have a problem with subbing out JM to play AB as Tap did last night. I DO have a problem with AB only playing 16 minutes. OK, AB had 3 turnovers. He also had 3 rebounds, 2 blocks, a steal and was 2-2 from the field with only 2 fouls.
Is it really necessary to play CB and AJ 37 and 33 minutes when we're behind by 30? Is it because the game was nationally televised? C'mon, Tap.

Posted by: original_mark | December 12, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"A good trade is when the receipt of assets (players, picks, cash, etc.) is greater than the outgoing group of assets. I understand your point that the team is built to win now, does the conditional pick (which could be turned to cash in the next few years) help the team more NOW, or or is Crittenton more likely to help NOW? Also, the conditional pick was a big question mark: "When", "How", and as a wise rapper once (x1000) asked: "WHAT?!"

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 10:58 AM "

The moving of these bodies around ain't going to get Les BouleS any quicker to the playoffs, nevermind the championship.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 11:08 AM
---
The conditional draft pick certainly doesn't do that. The player is more qualified to help...

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 10:58 AM "

It's like trading in a Gremlin for a used Yugo....you're not going to get any closer to scoring digits at a club.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Pesh may be able to beat Thomas in a game of 1-on-1. I'd personally like to see more of Pesh than Thomas, but Pesh is not a wide inside body, Thomas is, so that's probably why he gets the playing time. Either that or his great understanding of the daunting Princeton Offense...

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Agree to disagree. But, we didn't even have a Gremlin, we had a voucher for a Gremlin that MAY be able to be redeemed in 5-7 years (apparently the voucher was from Michael Vick). The Yugo definitely wasn't too used either...

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

IVAN CARTER OR MIKE LEE - You guys need to find out why Stevenson is still starting like now.....? And as another poster made notice, why is he not on a "short lease" like McGee and NY with Tabscott?????

I do not think Ernie hired Tabscott to run the same rotations as Eddie J. McGee has completely lost his swagger now after watching just about all of his minutes vanish.

I will give Eddie J credit for knowing how to coach McGee. You can clearly see McGee is suffering now from Eddie J not being here. It looks like Tabscott is killing the boy's game along with NY's.

The only thing I like what Tabscott is doing is he has cut Etan's minutes, given DMac more run and has given more minutes to AB.

What I don't like is how he is jerking McGee around, playing Steveson way to many minutes, falling in love with Song. playing the "5" spot just like Eddie J. did, and also messing around with NY's minutes.

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 12, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

One more note, as long as the used Yugo (Crittenton) will take mins away from the ugly Pinto that only works 29% of the time, but always has its alarm & horns going off...

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Ivan,

What has gotten most of these guys so pissed off. It can't be cause we just lost to the best team in the league. Is it because we traded away hurt talent for healthy talent? I hope not.

Ivan, go figure, I don't get it. It seems to me the Wizards just made a giant step in the right direction. We should be applauding. I am.

But Ivan, all I want to know is if ETaps has considerations for moving this team to a more concerted effort of UpTempo.

Run and Gun LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 12, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

ERNIE GRUNFIELD - Please pull "executive rank" and make a visit to your boy Tabscott and demand he gives McGee at least 25 to 30 minutes a game only unless they are playing the Magic and Superman and then that is the only time you play him under 15.

Also order Tabscott to sit Stevenson "PRONTO" and insert NY at the starting 2 spot. Deactivate Etan and dress OPEC and try to give him some run somewhere with the second unit.

Time to see if OPEC is a bust or not. Also tell Tabscott to scratch that notion that he is always going to have AJ or Caron on the court at all times. Sit them both in the 2nd and 3rd quarter and give DMac and OPEC those minutes.

ERNIE GRUNFIELD Tabscott has now become a rogue agent. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to reel him in and debrief him. Somewhere along the lines he is not listening to orders anymore. Maybe he has been compromised by some of Eddie Jordan's superiors and is now using their ingame substitution directions manuals instead of the one you gave him to use when you terminated Eddie J. Lets hope not............

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 12, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Edit:

Sit them both at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters and give DMac and OPEC those minutes.

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 12, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

People, people, people, facts are facts. This Wiz dillema is simple. They DO NOT, CAN NOT, and WILL NOT defend the 3 ball. It's as clear as day. I read all this hogwash about BTH being the remedy, and that is nonsense. He is garbage, along with Etan, and Javale (who should be solid if he gains 25 lbs in the next year or two, his athleticism and gifts aret hings Etan and BTH do not and never will have).

Back to the subject at hand, when I saw Ray Allen hit 4 open 3's in the 1st quater, I knew it would be long night. Then Eddie House got in on the act, and Paul missed a few wide open ones.

Another problem, (i love Juan Dixon, i really do), but Juan is NOT a PG. I know, I know, we had no other options, but he is a scorer, not a PG. As much as I hate to say it, we really did niss AD and Dee last night.

Now finally, the bottom line: NICK YOUNG NEEDS TO BE STARTING FOR DS, AND GETTING 30-40 MINS PER GAME. DS looked like a D-league player last night on National TV. He is veteran who's been in the league a long time, no excuses. Yeah, we all know Nick is not a good defender, but if DS is supposed our "defensive guy", then it is clearly not working. His D is very overrated. How much worse could Nick do on the defensive side. I mean come on, were giving up 103.5ppg, 2nd worst in the East. Sure NY will not help the defensive issue, but at least he will give us consistent scoring and the ability to create his own shot and penetrate (not to mention highlight reels). ED needs to give him 35mpg minimum for the rest of the year, and I GUARANTEE you all this kid blossoms into a great player by next year. He will get us 17ppg if he gets the mins. DS is averaging 7.9pts in 29.2 mins. NY is averaging 11ppg in 23.4 mpg. Do the math people. We NEED scoring out of our 2-guard spot, it is as clear as day. Very Simple. Come on folks, the season is pratically lost, let NY develop into the All-Star he is capable of being. DS has no hope of ever being an All-Star.

So there you have it, thanks for reading. I hope Tapscott takes notes.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

A truly embarrassing performance, overall. On the other hand, they were playing the league champs, and they were at full strength and firing on all cylinders.

On the plus side, at least Juan Dixon showed us he can still play. Maybe his intensity will prove contagious. I hope Taps keeps him in the starting lineup. I wouldn't fault JC too much for all those turnovers at the end. He doesn't even know the offensive sets yet.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | December 12, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

DSong is to the Wiz what J. Thrash is to the Skins.

Posted by: SportzWiz | December 12, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

"Crittenton only played the final six minutes and didn't record a stat."

Didn't record a stat? Crittenton had 4 turnovers in less than 6 minutes!

Two new guards, a shooter cannot shoot (0 for 6), a passer cannot pass (4 TOs), terrible debut!

Posted by: sagaliba | December 12, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse