Friday Bits and Pieces

I've seldom seen a locker room clear out as fast as the home one did after last night's 122-88 loss to the Celtics. That was as close to total humiliation as you'll seen in the NBA (a blowout loss at home on national TV with fans of the other team taking over your arena after your fans roll out), and word is that some of the team's vets were not happy about it.

Yelling could be heard coming from the locker room immediately after the game. And today, co-captains Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison acknowledged that a few of the team's vets were not happy with the effort they saw. I'll be writing more on this for tomorrow's paper.

Juan Dixon, who was one of the few guys still around when reporters were allowed in, summed it up afterward: "We're sick of it. We've got to start taking things personal man."

-Coach Ed Tapscott had the two new guys -- Javaris Crittenton and Mike James -- come in early today along with the team's young players so they could go over the offensive and defensive systems.

-Tapscott said he will continue to stick with the current lineup, including DeShawn Stevenson, whose offensive struggles continued last night.

-Not sure if the game ops folks should've gone with this one last night: During one timeout, a poll was put up on the scoreboard asking fans to text in the answer to this question: Which WIzard is weakest in the weight room? Later, players on the team were shown on the scoreboard and asked the same question. Almost all of them pegged Andray Blatche. (Haywood: "Oh, that has to be Andray Blatche.")

By Ivan Carter |  December 12, 2008; 3:13 PM ET
Previous: Stevenson's Struggles | Next: The Other Side: Philadelphia 76ers (UPDATED)

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Again, all this is meaningless. it makes me sick how Caron and Antawn always get away scot-free and are never considered "part of the problem". neither plays any D, and both are constantly burned by there men. Caron is consistently not defending the 3, and AJ is useless in the block. Why dont the 2 "captains" start taking responsibility and the blame. AJ is a joke who took many ill-advised jumpers last night, and is quite possibly the worst "one on one" in the entire NBA. Don't you people know why Dallas was quick to get rid of him???

Yeah, these are my opinions.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 3:17 PM

It sounds to me like this team has tuned out the team captains.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | December 12, 2008 3:17 PM

The season is over play the young guys (JC pg, NY sg, CB sf, AB pf, JM c, AJ 6th man, play DM more, and keep CB and AJ minutes down) so the organization can find out if any of these guys can play in this league. The team needs to take its losses and that way the younger players can learn from their mistakes. Plus they get a good draft pick like a Tyler Hansbrough.

This link will show you why this guy would add some much needed toughness to this team.

Next year with Gil and BTH back the younger players will be more confident which will provide them with a good bench. Next years lineup should be (if everyone is healthy) GA pg, CB sg, AJ sf, TH pf, BH c, Now look at your bench JC pg, NY sg, DM sf, AB pf, JN c,

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 3:19 PM

EDIT from previous post: AJ is quite possibly the worst "one on one" DEFENDER in the entire NBA.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 3:22 PM

Ask Larry:

Listen to Larry everyone he is right when he says this team needs to run and gun. The players on this team are not defensive players so the only way they have a chance at winning is to out score their opponents.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 3:22 PM

"It was intended to be funny and would've have been if not for Blatche's notoriously questionable work ethic and for the fact that the team's trainers and coaches have been trying to get him on a serious weight program for four years."

Yeah, but everything would have been fine if only Jordan had been nicer to him, right?

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 3:27 PM

"Don't you people know why Dallas was quick to get rid of him??? "

Yep. Because:

A) Jamison wasn't happy coming off the bench, (B) they had a logjam of expensive players at his position, (C) they were losing Nash to FA and needed a PG (D) getting Harris and Stackhouse shored up their weak backcourt.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 3:37 PM

"they had a logjam of expensive players at his position'

Aside from Dirk who else, just curious?? I would hardly call it a "logjam"

AJ was let go because he didn't play D, on a Defense first team.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 3:40 PM

At the time, they had Dirk, Jamison, Antoine Walker, and Danny Fortson.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 3:43 PM

Stevenson and Thomas for Larry Hughes? Do the cap numbers work? Does Hughes deal come off the books the same time as ET and Stevenson?

Otherwise, NY should be starting......

Posted by: dscottp169 | December 12, 2008 3:44 PM

"Getting Harris and Stackhouse shored up their weak back court"

Yeah, I'm sure Dallas's intentions were to sure up there backcourt with those 2 guys.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 3:46 PM

And this should really go without saying, but implying that the Mavs, one of the worst defensive teams in the league under Don Nelson, ditched Jamison because he didn't play defense is outright ludicrous nonsense. Nobody on the Mavs played any defense until Avery Johnson took over. And last I checked, Nelson was still the coach after they got rid of Jamison. Hell, if they were cleaning house of guys who didn't play defense, trading for Stackhouse and giving Jason Terry a huge FA contract were certainly puzzling moves.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 3:49 PM

"Funny, a rookie PG, who has never played an NBA game, and a 30 year old, shoot first-vet who came off his worst season of his career (injury riddled 03-04 season, shot 39% from the field). "

Which, of course, is utterly irrelevant to the issue. The simple, undeniable FACT of the matter is that acquiring Harris and Stack did IN FACT improve their backcourt. If you have some FACTUAL evidence to the contrary, please present it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 3:52 PM

While, contrary to your utterly ludicrous implications, getting rid of Jamison did nothing to improve their defense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 3:55 PM

I agree the so-called vets should start pulling their weight. They can all do more!

Having said, I think it's ridiculous and unproductive to start questioning the trade that brought AJ here. That was like 4-5 years ago! Please! And it's not like Dallas has won anything since they traded AJ away. So please let's not question a trade that went down ages ago.

Posted by: tundey | December 12, 2008 4:00 PM

If I were Grunfeld, I would make everyone on the roster (except Butler, McGee, Young, and maybe Critenton) available in a trade. I would also put Stevenson on the IR if he wants to go or not (if we cant trade him). Time to blow-up the roster on the run ala Miami last year.

If I were Tapscott, I would start Young at SG and lower CB3's and AJ's minutes to between 20 min a game (30 max). Get the young guns out there and let them get in game experience. It wont hurt the team's 1-win-a-month avg. now anyway.

If I were Polin, I would cryogenically freeze myself so I dont have to watch this excuse of a pro basketball team play any more this year and maybe unfreeze myself one calender year from now.

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | December 12, 2008 4:01 PM

Funny how you speak of facts... where are they. How did Stack and Harris improve there backcourt???

You're suggesting that Dallas opted to keep Antoine Walker and Fortson over AJ. Obviously they didnt think to highly of him. FACT is the traded away the 6th main of the year, )who was 28 at the time) for an older Stackhouse (who's career was on the decline) and a unproven rookie from Wisconsin. Well Kal, they must have thought real highly of AJ huh?? Now those are FACTS, so I go chew on it dips&^t.

For you to suggest they got rid of him because they had a "logjam" at his position is what's ludacris. Again, if he was the odd man out, they must have thought REAL highly of AJ. Just look at what the Wiz and the Mavs have done respectivley since the trade. Facts my friend, facts.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 4:03 PM

Point is AJ is a joke, he was EJ's main man. Where else in the league could a guy who is 32, get paid 50 mill, never take blame or get critisized from the coaching staff, play absolutely NO DEFENSE, and be named team captain. Again the Wiz are indeed following the "captains" lead of defensive strategy, it's working quite well I might add.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 4:08 PM

Sorry if you do not agree with my "utterly ludacris implications".

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 4:09 PM

This nugget from Stats Inc. kind of sums it all up:

DeShawn Stevenson is really struggling this season, averaging 7.6 points per game on 30.9% shooting. Among players who have started at least 15 games in the backcourt this season, his scoring average is 4th lowest, while his field goal percentage is dead last.

Posted by: elfreako | December 12, 2008 4:15 PM

The players shouldn't waste time finger-pointing. The team lacks the personnel, and whose fault is that? EG's, obviously.

Among EG's main flaws are: 1. He falls in love with his players. In pro sports, you have to view players as a commodity which can be moved as circumstances warrant. If you fall in love with your players, or with the concept of "continuity," other teams will pass you by as they continue to improve. Look where Boston was a couple of years ago and where they are now, versus the Wiz. Ainge was willing to gut more than half his squad, while EG stuck with "continuity."

2. EG sticks with preconceived opinions of players regardless of contrary evidence. A prime example of this is Crittenton. EG liked him in the draft two years ago and apparently would have taken him if NY hadn't been available. In the meantime JC has been with 2 teams who have given up on him. A dreadful Memphis squad had no use for him in their backcourt.

Now these are other pro teams which have had the opportunity to see JC close up for 2 years, and were not impressed. Nevertheless EG wanted him based on the fact that he was impressed with him two years ago.

I don't think any GM should fool himself into thinking he knows more about a player than guys who see him every day.

Posted by: shovetheplanet | December 12, 2008 4:36 PM

cj658

Kal gets his FACTS straight from ABE. He is their VP of public relations and is on this site to defend the cheap old man and all of the stupid basketball moves this organization makes, has ever made, and will continue to make till the old man sells this team.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 4:39 PM

I know it’s not a very popular opinion on this message board but I’d like to throw in my 2c.

Current 2006-2007 Statistical Rankings for NBA Power Forwards
NBA
Points - 5th
3-Pt % - 12th
FG% - 13th
Rebounds – 8th
Def Rebounds – 11th
Steals – 3rd
Asst – 10th
FT % - 17th
Minutes – 3nd
Double Doubles – 2nd
Turnovers – 33rd (at only 1.2/game)
ESPN Hollinger Player Efficiency – 7th

In EVERY CATEGORY except FT% he ranks among the top 13 power forwards in the league and #7 in Player Efficiency.

Are there better power forwards than Jameson? Of course there are . . . but, with the exception of Pau Gasol the PF’s ahead of him are the BEST PLAYER ON THEIR TEAM. With Gil back he is our 3rd option! He may not be a good straight-up defender (everyone knows he’s undersized at PF) but he is an excellent defensive rebounder and a leader in steals at PF while being and excellent scorer and decent 3-pt shooter who chews up minutes and never gets hurt.

All you AJ haters - you're the real joke.

Posted by: ljack666 | December 12, 2008 4:40 PM

cj658

Kal does not have a sense of humor.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 4:42 PM

"How did Stack and Harris improve there backcourt???"

By being more productive than the useless slugs (Tariq Abddul-Wahad and Tony Delk) they replaced.

"You're suggesting that Dallas opted to keep Antoine Walker and Fortson over AJ."

I'm suggesting no such thing because, in fact, they got rid of all of those guys at the same time. I'm suggesting that they thought paying Jamison upwards of $15 mill to be Dirk's backup was a bad move both financially and from a bball perspective, which it was.

"For you to suggest they got rid of him because they had a "logjam" at his position is what's ludacris. Again, if he was the odd man out, they must have thought REAL highly of AJ."

And, again, you're talking out of your ass. He wasn't the "odd man out" because they dumped ALL of their overpaid PFs at the end of that season, because paying those guys starter money to play backup minutes behind a young up-and-comer made no sense.

"Point is AJ is a joke"

No, the point is that for you to repeatedly suggest that one of the worst defensive teams in the league targeted Jamison for release specifically because of his defensive deficiencies is absolute nonsense, made even more nonsensical by the fact that they filled his salary and roster slots with a bunch more guys who didn't play any defense.

Seriously, what's your point? That Jamison is a bad defender? Guess what? That's not exactly a state secret. There's not a person here who doesn't acknowledge that. So your obsessive need to construct ridiculous straw man arguments to get across a point that absolutely no one disputes is just idiotic.

"Well Kal, they must have thought real highly of AJ huh??"

And, of course, your spewing crap that has nothing to do with anything. I never said word one about the Mavs "thinking highly" of Jamison. I said (and will say again as long as you keep crapping out of your mouth) that they're trading Jamison had nothing to do with his defense. Still waiting for you to offer any proof to the contrary. (Not holding my breath, but that's only because I can't actually smell you over the internet.)

"so I go chew on it dips&^t."

Chew away, a@@ hole. Just make sure you wipe up after you're done.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 4:48 PM

EDIT:

And, of course, you're spewing crap that has nothing to do with anything. I never said word one about the Mavs "thinking highly" of Jamison. I said (and will say again as long as you keep crapping out of your mouth) that their trading Jamison had nothing to do with his defense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 4:51 PM

Dear Roger,

We're so sorry Ernie left you go. Can't you come back to us? Deshawn does nothing but embarass us -- waving his hand in front of his face to make sure he actually saw one of his jump shots go in. We miss you. Hell, I miss you. And when this is all said in done, I want us to get an apartment together and for you to be wearing a Wizards jersey again.

Love always,
Another SE DC Resident Waiting For Deshawns Child Support Checks To Clear

Posted by: awb9h | December 12, 2008 4:52 PM

ljack666

Basketball is played on the court not in the stats sheet. This is not Fantasy Basketball. AJ sucks because he refuses to play defense and that is what you really need from a power forward.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 4:56 PM

Bulletsfan78: thanks for letting me know about Kal, I was starting worry about him.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 5:01 PM

I am starting to think maybe Tabscott should start AB and let McGee come in behind him so he can regain some confidence Tabscott has robbed him of.

Everyone to a man pretty much agree Stevenson should be benched in favor of NY but you can see that is not going to happen with Tabscott.

Tabscott just wanted to let you know Joe Gibbs would be proud of you the way you are sticking with Stevenson, just like he did for Mark Brunell. To "shot" ball players that clearly don't have it anymore and everybody sees it but the puppetmasters themselves............

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 12, 2008 5:04 PM

On the contrary. I find it hilarious that is such an illiterate MTV age idiot that he thinks this:

"ludacris"

is the correct spelling of the word.

What a "moran."

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:05 PM

You contradicted your self

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 5:05 PM

EDIT:

On the contrary. I find it hilarious that cj658 is such an illiterate MTV age idiot ...

But that went without saying.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:08 PM

"You contradicted your self"

Nope, I contradicted you. Not exactly heavy lifting.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:09 PM

"ludacris"

is the correct spelling of the word.

What a "moran."

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:05 PM

That's all you got??? That I spelled Loodacris. this is a sports blog, not an English class loser. Some people actually just type here in their spare time, and do not worry if they misspell a word or two. if I were still in school, I'm sure you'd be doing my homework for me.

I love how you edit all your posts, and be sure to use all the "correct" puncuation and grammar. Sorry, this isn't exactly my Literature term paper. I also love how you clearly take your time to respond to EVRYTHING i said in such an articulate manner. Sorry, I do not have time to sit here and edit all my post. Apparently you have thime to edit your 1500 word posts.

What a loser lol!!! You really crack me up.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 5:11 PM

Kal: I can just imagine you, some pencil necked geek, behind a computer who thinks he know about sports. Just another John Hollinger LOL. I can imagine what your life was like growing up!!!

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 5:14 PM

EDIT:

But that went without saying.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:08 PM

I love how you put cj658 in bold on that last post!!! How clever!! Boy I can just sense your inner fire. Way to let your emotions be heard!!!!

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 5:15 PM

I love it that you think pointing out that I use proper English is some kind of insult. Really, you're doing my work for me. Keep it up. (No sense of humor? This is hilarious stuff.)

i also notice that you've abandoned any pretense about arguing basketball. (Not that I'm complaining, mind you, since it was kind of painful to watch.)

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:18 PM

"You contradicted your self"

Nope, I contradicted you. Not exactly heavy lifting.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:09 PM

No you idiot, you contradicted yourself. You said, and I quote there was a "logjam" at his position. That would indicate there are too many guys playing one position right? When that happens, teams tend to keep the guys that feel give them the best chance of winning, right? So it seems they felt AJ was on the same level as Fortson and Walker. He was 28 at the time, can't say he was too old. So all AJ did was come to a team with a "moran" coach like eddie who would name him team captain for playing no D, and jacking up terrible shots, and leading his team to a first round exit each year.

yeah go chew on that when your done playing scrabble, watching jeopardy, using your flashcards, or whatever it is you do i your spare time.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 5:19 PM

"Way to let your emotions be heard!!!!'

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:20 PM

All of you need to stop your b!tch#n and crying all of you or at least most of you wanted EJ gone and now this is the result, so don't talk about blowin up the team, and some of the players are just as responsible for EJ's departure i'm sure they were going behind EJ's back complaining about EJ, and surprise of all surprise's AB doesn't want to get better except at getting his "swerve" on, the only way you can get that clown to the weight room is to move the "Love" nightclub into the practice facility but this all goes back to EG and his obsession to get rid of EJ, but trust me this is going to blow up in his face unless he pulls off a blockbuster trade(not gonna happen)and would you please stop saying EJ didn't want to play the rookie's what EJ didn't want was to destroy their confidence he played NY last year and Mcguire in spurts.He wanted to bring them along slowly he didn't have a "superstar" rookie and if Gil hadn't got hurt i mean how much pt do you think they would have gotten same thing with MeGee if BTH does not hurt his wrist Javale gets what? eight to ten minutes a game,my suggestion bring in Avery Johnson he will demand accoutability and since he played the point he can coach up Javaris and he gets a defensive mindset installed not that EJ didn't try that either.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 12, 2008 5:22 PM

So tell me ... were the hoops you had to jump through in order to construct that ridiculous "argument" actually on fire at the time? Because that would have been impressive.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:23 PM

No, they were'nt on fire, but they were getting pretty hot.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 5:25 PM

Of course, by your "logic," if they traded Jamison because of his defense, it would make sense for them to replace him with guys who played better defense. But since they traded him for Laettner and Stackhouse ...

I'll let you fill in the rest.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:26 PM

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 5:26 PM

"When that happens, teams tend to keep the guys that feel give them the best chance of winning, right?"

I love how you try to provide a completely bull s##t answer to your own question and then proceed like it makes sense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:28 PM

Keep spinning. The hole just gets deeper.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 12, 2008 5:31 PM

People bashing AJ on this site are absurd in thinking a 20-10 guy who put up 44 double doubles last year is part of the Wizards problems. AJ consistently plays 40 minutes a night, rarely gets hurt, and is a leader in the locker room and a great example to young players off the court.

It's absurd to think that his defensive weaknesses is the reason this team is losing. The poor personnel moves of EG and the losses of BTH and Arenas are the reasons this team is playing so poorly. No team starting a rookie center, a weak shooting guard (DSS), and no true PG on the roster would lose a lot....look at Miami last year even when D. Wade was playing.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 12, 2008 5:35 PM

DeShawn Stevenson = Freddie Mitchell

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | December 12, 2008 1:48 PM

LMAO

Posted by: T-ROB | December 12, 2008 5:38 PM

Kalo and CJ knock it off. You both made your points heard and now you're fighting just to fight and win (has it been that bad of a week?). Kalo, you should have stopped when you were ahead. youve lost points for not taking the higher road. CJ, just stop please. Name calling and personal attacks dont make your points heard any better. You lose more points just for that fact.

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | December 12, 2008 5:46 PM

"Facts are facts Kalaramma. The Mavs felt an aging Stack and an unproven skinny rookie made them better off than AJ. If they felt otherwise, they would have kept him. Hey, it's just a fact.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 5:26 PM"

Yea, because teams always make trades they think makes them better off, just like when Memphis traded Gasol for Kwame Brown. Oh wait....

Posted by: T-ROB | December 12, 2008 6:14 PM

I'll continue to bash AJ, cause he's one of the most overrated, overpaid players in the L. And yes, he is a mismatch favoring the opposition every night. He claims he's the teams leader, and thats working out great. Come on folks, defense wins championships, and a team's leader should emulate that.

Kaloramma is just mad he doesn't get to see Eddie's "S-curl" anymore during postgame interviews.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 6:49 PM

It sounds like the energy level picked up dramatically once the game was over and the Wiz were safely back in the locker rooms.

I am getting extremely tired of comments like, "And today, co-captains Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison acknowledged that a few of the team's vets were not happy with the effort they saw" ...I am sure they sleep better by telling themselves this but they obviously lack self awareness.

I watched most of the 4th quarter via the TNT online broadcast and chose the isolation camera on Butler. This game was completely out of reach and Butler's body language said so. I love Caron but he did not push at all that quarter. Regardless of whether there is a mathematical chance to win the game it is not acceptable to mail it in, particularly from a captain. Why was he not demanding the ball, scrapping, hustling, digging in on D, barking at others...showing any heart at all? Not good enough...particularly in tough times these guys are quickly going to lose favor for collecting 40k for a 12 min quarter which looked like less exertion than most games on the local blacktop.

Now Tapscott calms the masses by saying he is going to continue starting Stevenson because he is our best wing defender...ouch. What? I would like to know from Ivan if he tilted his head and gave the confused dog look to Eddie when he said this ...or if there was just a really long pause and then riotous laughter.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | December 12, 2008 6:50 PM

Ivan, how about naming names? Who is it that Caron and Antawn are upset at? Is it all the kids? Some but not all? Have they directed any of their frustration at Stevenson, or at the coaching staff's insistence on sticking with him, even when he's hurting the team? What about Etan?

I'm all for veteran leadership, but I don't want our Young talent being scapegoated because they're disaffected over the fact that they're not given equal chance to fail as the vets. I mean, I love Jamison and all, but the guy has a bit of a credibility issue if he's calling out others on the defense end of the floor, ya know?

Posted by: TheFunBunch | December 12, 2008 6:51 PM

This team makes me sad :(

Posted by: rachel216 | December 12, 2008 6:53 PM

If Susan O'Malley was still here she would find a way to make this fun...

There would be some new crazy contest, "Point Guard for a quarter, Wiz Fan for Life!" Where at each home game 4 lucky individuals would be selected to not just meet the team ...but run the team for an entire quarter!! OMG! That's right you will actually suit up and play the point guard position for the Wizards for an entire quarter of NBA basketball! Don't like Deshawn...don't give it to him. In the Wizard organization the Wiz fans may not be able to call all the shots but they will have a chance to make a few!

Each winner is also given a complimentary DVD of their 12 min of Wiz history to enjoy over and over again.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | December 12, 2008 7:06 PM

Hey, all of you that are trashin the Wizs, in case you haven't noticed, The East is wide open.

When the Wizards turn this thing around this year, before BH and GA get back, I wonder what all of you that are quoting all these negative stats and trashing the players gonna be sayin then.

You know I really wonder how many of you really want this team to win. A lot of the comments just sound like Hating to me.

LarryInClintonMD

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 12, 2008 7:36 PM

LarryInClintonMD

I personally believe it would be better to play the young guys the rest of the year (JC pg, NY sg, CB sf, AB pf, JM c, AJ 6th man, play DM more, and keep CB and AJ minutes down) so the organization can find out if any of these guys can play in this league. Next year with Gil and BTH back the younger players will be more confident which will provide them with a good bench.

I hate to be the one to tell you but this team has no chance at winning a championship this year.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 7:47 PM

Starting Young at the 2 could possibly cost the Wiz 5 or 10 points a game defensively in a worst case sceniro. The ability to move the offense uptempo and utilize Young's scoring ability could quite easily offset that.

In baseball a starting pitcher that's lost his command and control is often sent to the bullpen. From the pen a pitcher can often regain his stuff from a change routine. Skipping a start or two has revived many pitchers.

It sure looks like it's time to have Stevenson work out of the pen for awhile. Like a lot of guys on this team Stevenson played through a whole list of aches and pains last year. Often without knowing it a guy can alter his shot when playing through injuries. Just like a pitcher, a jumpshotter's mechanics can get out of wack and really screw the guy up.

Stevenson probably needs the change of pace coming off the bench would give him. The Wizards have a world class shooting coach, DeShawn needs to get out of the starting grind and get a little extra work in with Hopla when rested.

At this point I think Tapps should deactivate him for a couple of games, break the starting streak, and try and get the guy to find a way to get his shot back. He's not helping the team at all right now.

Posted by: flohrtv | December 12, 2008 7:50 PM

Of the problems this team faces, AJ's defense (or lack of it) is way down on the list.

In fact, he might be in Volume II of their problems and not Volume I.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 12, 2008 7:50 PM

Larry, I love your posts. Yeah, there are a lot of gloom and doom guys here. And there's some guy's with a lot user names. When they get real active I just say,"the boys are back in town"!

This may well be a lottery year, but things aren't near as bleak as coming to this site would make you beleive.

In the coming games I'm going to be real interested in seeing how fast Crittenton and James can get in the flow. Both seem capable of playing in a more uptempo pace.

I'd agree with both you and Mark, this team needs to run,run,run...

Posted by: flohrtv | December 12, 2008 8:04 PM

At the game last night. I sit facing the Wizards bench so I have a good view of how players react when getting taken out and during timeouts. Here's something I saw last night that I notived often. When the Wizards went down by 21 in the 4th qurter there were still like 10:00 minutes left in the game. On the screen overhead they had a contest to see if Gilbert could drink a bottled soda in 30 seconds. While the Wiz were in a timeout, several players that were in and not in the game watched the whole thing and were laughing the whole time. It's ridiculous! They could care less that they were getting waxed on National TV!

I can tell you that most of the young guys are very unhappy when they are taken out for making a mistake. I watched Tapscott pull the hook on both Young and McGee last night because of one bad play, yet Stevenson made several turnovers and nothing happened. Shooting 30% 20 games into a season is not a slump. It means you can't shoot...period. We are the laughing stocks of the league with a starting shooting guard averaging 7 freaking points a game! No amount of defense makes up for that!

Posted by: ptp23 | December 12, 2008 9:42 PM

" It also didn't help that late in the second quarter, Kendrick Perkins posted Blatche up, easily received an entry pass, backed Blatche down and then easily scored.

By Ivan Carter | December 12, 2008; 3:13"

Big deal.

MeTawn is one of the fittest looking guys on the team, but HE CAN'T PLAY ANY D@MN D EITHER!!!!

How about MeTawn being upset with himself that despite being the 4 on the team, he can't even get on the FT line?!?!

Only two guys are leaving it all on the court, and they be Caron and Juan.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 10:00 PM

Please we have got to get DeShawn out of the starting lineup one way or another. He is absolutely killing us! Shooting bricks, jumping around the court with that stupid mohawk, waving his hand in his face, turning the ball over.

I'd rather see Nick Young. Heck give McGuire a chance there. I'd really like to see us make that trade for Hughes. DeShawn and Etan for Hughes works as far as the salaries. Deshawn has played so bad though he may be untradable. We could through in a 2nd round pick (oh wait we have to keep that to trade for cash).

But whoever, we need a starting NBA caliber SG.

Another subject... I was confused at the end of the Celtics game when Tapscott put in all the young guys, even Crittenton, but left Blatche on the bench in favor of Songaila?? I didn't get the point of that, and would've liked to have seen all the young players out there together. The only thing to make it still worth watching at that point.

I wish we had hit Boston with a bigger lineup. McGee, Blatche, Jamison, Butler, Dixon would have put our best 5 on the floor and would have been a physically tougher matchup for Boston IMO.

Posted by: Darnell1 | December 12, 2008 10:09 PM

LMAO!!!

"The newest Wizards arrived yesterday morning and were able to suit up after the NBA cleared all the details of the trade about an hour and a half before tip-off. James entered at the start of the second quarter and played 10 minutes, but missed all six of his shot attempts and finished with one point and one assist.

Crittenton played the final six minutes, long after the Celtics had put the game away. The only statistic he recorded was four turnovers. "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 10:22 PM

DC_MAN88

I am going to start to think you are not a true fan and you do not want to see this team win?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 10:43 PM

I'm sitting here watching the Hornets against the Celts and NO's has only 71 points wih 6:35 to go in 4th. We had 74 points in at the end of the 3rd. Now granted that all was waisted when we only scored 14 points in the 4th, but guys I keep saying our offense is our best defense and if we concentrate our efforts on scoring the ball Uptempo, we got something, right here and right now.

If we focus our game plan on scoring the ball, make our adjustments during the game based on our scoring and not our defense, it will in turn help our defense.

One reason why DStev still starts is we are constantly making false defensive decisions and adjustments. If we focus on offense then DStev would be on the bench cause he is not helping offensively right now. CB, AJ, DM, NY, JD, JM, DSong, AB, are all offensive players, along with DStev, but if any of them do not produce offensively, then we bench them.

We are still giving to much credit to defense right now and it is hendering our strong suit which is offense.

Stress offense first and it will help our defense, because our best defense is our offense.

I know this sounds simplistic and repetitive, but folks this group of players must Run and Gun, Shake and Bake, Shoot the Three, Take the ball to Hoop and Trash Talk all the while. It is our one and only chance.

BulletsFan78, playing the young guys is the only way to do this. Your wisdom is golden. They want win the championship this year doing this, but they would make the playoffs this year and folks would be wondering what the heck got into them Dar' Wizards.

And Flohrtv, thanks for the encouragement, it brought me back to my senses, CJ658 kinda' got me a little amped up.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 12, 2008 10:50 PM

"DC_MAN88

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 10:43 PM "

That be your prerogative.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 10:52 PM

"Kendrick Perkins posted Blatche up, easily received an entry pass, backed Blatche down and then easily scored."

I don't think it is fair to single out AB. McGee was also backed down quite easily. In fact, they even showed a reply to demonstrate how McGee raised his hands while being backed down and do not know to use his arm on the back of his opponent (which is legal) to gain leverage.

Posted by: sagaliba | December 12, 2008 11:08 PM

"DC_MAN88

Hopefully you know I am only joking. I am not Kal

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 11:10 PM

"There is also one sequence, McGee for no reason (it was not even a pick-and-roll, or anything initiated by the offense), was double teaming NY's guy, and let his own man (Perkins) a clear pass to the basket for a dunk!

Posted by: sagaliba | December 12, 2008 11:08 PM "

Who's coaching defense while Ayers has been out?

Ivan hasn't even reported yet whether Ayers has returned from his medical procedure!

Probably busy knocking back too many Stellas at the local watering hole.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 11:14 PM

"Hopefully you know I am only joking. I am not Kal

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 12, 2008 11:10 PM "

It's hard not to laugh at a franchise when they make glaringly bad moves but try to sell to the public how hard they are trying to build a championship team when most know they aren't serious about winning....just staying in the black and collecting lux tax welfare.

If you don't laugh, then you'd cry, and Les BouleS ain't worth crying over.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 11:16 PM

everybody wants to bench Stevenson, but that means playing Young, the most one dimensional player on the team, with the possible exception of Thomas. Young can shoot, and that's it. He can't pass, he can't play defense, and he can't drive to the basket. Ok, he does get some rebounds.

We can bench Stevenson when Arenas comes back.

Posted by: stevie2 | December 12, 2008 11:17 PM

"Young is not an obvious improvement over Stevenson, unfortunately for the Bullets.

We can bench Stevenson when Arenas comes back.

Posted by: stevie2 | December 12, 2008 11:17 PM "

Neither NY nor MeShawn can defend, but at least NY can be counted on to score, which apparently MeShawn can't do anymore.

The term "overrated" that MeShawn coined for LeBron comes back to haunt him, by several magnitudes.

Curse of LeBron Bron.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 11:23 PM

LARRY IN CLINTON--- I'm glad I got you "pumped up". I'm a huge Wiz fan, but I'm also a realist. This team is absolute garbo. You know it, I know it, & hopefully kalaromma knows it (that's assuming he's not tucking EJ's kids in for bed right now). I'm assumig you agree with the "morans" above who think AJ is not a major problem. Do you people actually watch the games?? Or do you just look at the box score after the game and "conclude" AJ had a good game??

Yeah this Wiz team has no business in the playoffs, or anywhere near it. Do Do I really need to quote Jim Mora???????

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 11:35 PM

I get really angry when people say NY is no improvement over DS. You people have to be joking. Either that, or you live in EJ's basement with Kaloramma.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 11:38 PM

Antawn and Caron should stop crying. They are a big part of the problem. No defense, no speed, no hops at all. Etan should have matched up well with Perkins. Stevenson looks weak and slow. Give his playing time to Nick Young. Dixon deserves to be a starter and very focussed all the time. I really think Mcghee and Blatche should always be in the line up together.

Posted by: bdunkadunk | December 13, 2008 2:54 AM

I'm so tired of people worrying about how the young guys react to being taken out of a game. If you can't handle it, don't come out of college early. This is a professional league, not the Boy's and Girl's Club. You're getting paid millions, so put your frail egos aside and step up and play like a man.. with some pride... If you have the nerve to take the money that a pro earns, shut up and play like one. If you can't, they should go back to the days when rookies had to earn their salary not be given one for what they "might" be able to do one day. Get over yourself. Then again, if we had good management, we would have traded for some real grizzled guys when we had the chance, and these whiners would be third string until they earned the right to play.

Posted by: lk11 | December 13, 2008 8:59 AM

I hope President Obama saves some bailout money to rescue the Wizards :-)

I have not seen it this bad since the last days of Gene Shue and that includes the Leonard Hamilton and Gar Heard "eras"...

DeShawn needs to sit a bit, even if NY is one-dimensional that is better than being no-dimensional. I actually think DeShawn will be OK when GA returns to open up the court for him, but right now it ain't happening... OK, Ivan, I will concede one last start for DeShawn against Philly based on his recent past performances against them, but absent an effort tonight like the one he had against the Nets, that's it.

If there is a reluctance to give NY the starting 2 slot, then the next best alternative is try CB back there, move AJ to the 3 and start either DSong or AB at the 4...

If the Wizards lose to the Sixers tonight, it will be a very bad sign indeed and since the same thought holds true for the Sixers, this should be a very hard fought and unpretty affair.

Keep the faith.

Posted by: khrabb | December 13, 2008 10:51 AM

Going uptempo requires a point gaurd that's going to be able to push the pace. Daniels was slowed to a crawl and teams were just starting to post Dee Brown up constantly so he couldn't play heavy minutes. I did think Brown showed he will be able to carve a spot out for himself in this league, he just got caught in a numbers game once the trade was made.

But to get uptempo, James and Crittenton are going to have to get their feet on the ground and then start to run. This team was able to grind out a number of wins last year by slowing the pace and shortening the game. Once Haywood went down and Daniels came to camp lame, winning that way was out the window.

Uptempo might not improve the record much this year, might even make it worse, but it's establishing the style in which this team can win. The team's current record keeps bringing up references to the 66-67' Bullets and that terrible team.

Those old Bullets lost and lost a lot, but they ran and ran and ran. They'd put up 120 points a night and still lose. But the point is they established an identity and a style that they were going to run with.

In back to back years they drafted Earl "the Pearl" Monroe and Wes Unseld and went from worst to first they were a highly competitive team until they went to finals and lost in 1979. During that run they went to the finals three times, won a title and played in some of the league's classic series.

Even when they lost, you came away feeling like you had got your money's worth. Some of those series that them and the Knicks locked up in for 7 games were really fun to watch win or lose.

There is a core of young players here, a lottery finish could add one or possibly two more. Jamison and Butler are solid NBA players and if Arenas fully regains his health he's a top 15 level player.

But the Wiz are not built to grind it out, they need to run. Tapps should start to push the tempo now. They may lose by even bigger margins, but this organization needs to decide on a path and stick to it. If they want to grind it out they need a complete roster overhaul. I can't think of one player they have that is suited to that style unlees they move Butler to the two.

Posted by: flohrtv | December 13, 2008 10:57 AM

I have a different take. Etan Thomas is the key. He's a veteran, but he's rusty after being out a year. An investment in playing time in Etan will pay off faster than anything else they can do. Play Javale a lot, and he's still a rookie. Just keep playing Etan until he is really back. Shouldn't take long.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | December 13, 2008 11:31 AM

Deshawn Stevenson starting?????? You're kidding, right? I'm searching high and low for an answer as to why we are not giving our younger players more time. It seems to me (I'm sorry - it's obvious to me) that this season is DONE!! Common sense (is there any of that left in this town?) dictates that you would play your younger guys to 1) get them the gametime experience needed, and 2) to see what you are working with. I know that I would attend games, even if we are losing, to see the development of the younger players. I don't think us fans are asking too much by wanting to see the younger players play more. Hell, we're losing anyway. If we're going to lose, shouldn't we gain experience while doing so? Oh, maybe I'm making too much sense, huh?

Starting lineup:

Crittenton
Young
Butler
Blatche
McGee
Jamison (6th man) He would STILL get his minutes!!

Abe, if you want to put fans in the stadium, DO SOMETHING!!!!

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | December 13, 2008 1:10 PM

I think the vets should look at themselves before they start talking about the reserves.

The worst thing the Wiz did was get rid of EJ. Despite all the tough times and injuries the past couple of years, the team NEVER quit on him. They know ET is not the leader, I have seen Wes Unseld Jr drawing up last shot of the game strategy for the team, instead of the head coach.

It's gonna be a LONG year.

Posted by: Section102 | December 13, 2008 5:36 PM