Pistons 88, Wizards 74

Same old, same old. Wizards fell behind 10-2 early, battled back to make it a game and trailed by only six late in the fourth before falling apart. This time, the killers were a Tayshaun Prince jumper and consecutive scores off of Wiz turnovers.

-Detroit's defense was key. The WIzards shot a season-low 33.3 percent and scored a season-low 74 points. Caron Butler (season-low five points on one-of-five shooting with six turnovers) was a non-factor and was strangely out of it most of the game. I would've loved to have asked him about it but he rolled out without talking.

-Antawn Jamison sprained his left thumb in the first but played through it. However, it was swollen and sore after the game and he's undergoing an MRI when the team gets back.

-Mike James started and scored a team-high 16 points but the offense was way out of sync all night. Whether that had anything to do with him or not, something wasn't clicking tonight. Then again, the Piston really brought it after losing in DC last week.

By Ivan Carter  |  December 17, 2008; 11:13 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards (4-18) at Pistons (13-9)
Next: Was Haywood That Good?

Comments

oh I'm so angry! *generic comments about DSteve's shooting, no PT for JM, AJ is worthless on D, blah blah blah rabble rabble rabble*

so how bout them caps?

Posted by: yukiwith2us | December 17, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

MeTawn takes 18 shots, but goes to the line twice. Is this what Les BouleS need in a power forward?

Mike James takes 15 shots. Is he making up for lost time? Oh wait, Les BouleS had 8 fewer assists.

Nick Young could only hit 1 bucket, and JaTravel with 3 minutes.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 17, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards can't play no slow ball. I been telling yawl' that for the longest' and yawl' keep blamin' tha' players'. Yawl need to start blamin' that slow coachin' philosophy.

Iffin' yew' play a little fast ball, yew' might jus' have to get everybody involved wit' de' offense and they mit' just play a bit' better, even on defense.

I keep tellin' yawl, ya' can't blame the players for constantly being put out of position.

Hell, they got ta' overcome their own flawed coachin' schemes and beat the other players too. Thats hard ta' do.

I'm down fo' dees' playas' cause the coachin don't giv' them no chance.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 18, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Ivan,

You got to ask him next chance you get. I hope you do. He looked like he just gave up tonight. That is unacceptable especially without comment!

AJ has bad shooting nights as everyone does and is not a good defender. But, I've never watched a game and thought - "AJ quit tonight". Never!

Maybe he was sick or the frustrations of losing just finally caught up to him. But, I think he should explain what happened!

Also, I have to disagree with your assessment that the offense was out of sync tonight. At least as it pertains to Mike James starting the offensive sets. I think he did a much better job overall than JD has been doing and/or would have done had he started against the Piston's D tonight.

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 18, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm down fo' dees' playas' cause the coachin don't giv' them no chance.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 18, 2008 12:02 AM

Dear Good Sir Larry,

I perused your exquisitely crafted analysis of tonight's match and I must declare, I support your line of reasoning. The chaps simply must wrest themselves free of the tyrannical iron fist that is the, as the common man utters: "slowwww balllllll".

Sincerely, yuuki

Posted by: yukiwith2us | December 18, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Mister Noble Yukiwith2us Sir,

I ah' thank you Sir for yo' noble comment. It warms the heart and mind ta' see when somesone else agrees wit' your point of view in the matter aforehand.

Thanks for shooting across the bow for a such a simple gentleman as I.

Respectfully;

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 18, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow. Watching this team is so unenjoyable that commenters are turning to each other for entertainment.

Posted by: dcgoblue | December 18, 2008 2:22 AM | Report abuse

Two minutes and thirty-one seconds

Posted by: bford1kb | December 18, 2008 2:23 AM | Report abuse

Everything this team does SUCKS! they can't do anything right

Posted by: rachel216 | December 18, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

Whats been the difference in Javale since Jordan was fired?

Did teams just get to know him after the first 11 games and have since learned to exploit his defensive weaknesses and be ready for his pick and lobs or is he being coached differently?

Posted by: riskus | December 18, 2008 7:10 AM | Report abuse

These guys flat out stink. I think they've given up. I can understand not make shots but the hustle plays are so sporadic and they can't box out anyone when needed. It's actually painful to watch these guys. This season is done, I know it, you know it and the players play like they know it too.

Posted by: raut | December 18, 2008 7:11 AM | Report abuse

I love my Wiz to death but this team sucks right now. I knew they would lose last night. I usually attend several games during the season but I can't bring myself to go their games anymore. I hope and wish the best for them but I can't stand the agony of constant defeats. The players suck, the coaching suck, the management suck. The worst thing this franchise did was keep this current roster together when everyone else was mixing it up and bringing in other pieces. What a joke for the Wiz to play Cleveland on Christmas. As much as it pains me to say this, but, they are going to get their royal behinds whipped on national TV again. They are now the joke of the league and it is getting harder now to defend the poor chaps.

Posted by: ivyleague | December 18, 2008 7:32 AM | Report abuse

The Pistons are a dysfunctional team and we lost to them. It was not all that surprising, though.
Well, AB neutralized Sheed. AJ played Tayshaun pretty even. Where did we falter?

Oh yeah. The guards again. James got 16 but DS put up 9 in 32 minutes. I'm gonna stop talking about Pech and start the "Fire Tap" bandwagon. He's worse than EJ. At least JM was getting experience when EJ was running the show. Now, we're still getting heavy doses of Songaila and DS and JM watches the game.

BTW, I hope the AB haters have cleared out. The guy is reminding me more and more of BTH....decent player stuck in the doghouse because he's been yanked around when he makes a mistake.

Posted by: original_mark | December 18, 2008 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Worse than Eddie Jordan? Tapscott is making EJ look like Red Auerbach.

Posted by: twigmuffin | December 18, 2008 7:51 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD,
Everyone including myself loves your enthusiasm. I am pretty sure you could hit the lottery on Friday, lose it all at the tracks on Saturday and come in early Monday excited to tell coworkers about your whirlwind weekend.

That said, how can the Wizards possibly run the ball if they cannot rebound and do not have a point guard? The Wiz are out-rebounded every game. Should they get a ball.. who can run, dribble and see the court at the same time on this team? They literally do not have a point guard. With all due respect, how can you expect the team to run the ball given these factors?

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | December 18, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

"These guys flat out stink. I think they've given up."

It looks like they kept EJ's offense, just now they aren't being coached at all instead of just on offense.

For whatever reason they simply refuse to bench Stevenson, yet they take a guy out who plays his heart out in Dixon and replace him with someone who doesn't know the offense in James? And talking about giving him MORE minutes?

I know the Wiz stink, but don't make a bad thing worse. Geeze.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 18, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"psps,

As opposed to having Blatche start as he IS playing well right now! Much better overall than McGee can or would at this point. Sorry, your missing out on a possible spectacular dunk or a couple of nice blocked shots a game.

I almost wish JD, McGee, and NY would all start for about a 5 game stretch just so their clueless fan club bandwagon for these guys in here can see how uncompetitive and bad that would be. It would be an absolute joke and teach these guys nothing about earning minutes - NY,McGee."

Blatche is playing very well right now, and I'm not advocating that McGee take his minutes. But Blatche is only averaging around 30 minutes a game, almost all of them at center (which is not his natural position). There are MORE than enough minutes to go around for McGee, ESPECIALLY more than 3 minutes total.

And you cannot be serious with your last part of the comment. You don't want McGee, NY, or JD to get minutes because you think they'll be uncompetitive?? Are you living in a dream fantasy world, where guys like DeShawn Stevenson are being competitive? Even if you don't think they're in the top 6-7 players on the roster (which is plain wrong in my opinion), it's not about teaching these guys how to "earn" minutes. (1) Neither of the guys mentioned above have displayed or shown any indication of a poor work ethic, and (2) if you're talking about "earning" minutes based on play on the court, then 80% of the team has not earned any minutes (which isn't counting the fact that accurate judgment of play cannot be assessed in 3 minutes of playing time). The whole point of a lost season is to improve your prospects for the future, and the WORST way to go about that is to sit your young guys and limit their ability to get experience and learning opportunities on the court.

It baffles me that anybody can even try and defend that argument.

Posted by: psps23 | December 18, 2008 8:24 AM | Report abuse

When Jamison and Butler start playing fewer than 35 mpg, THEN the team will be tanking. But it's clear from the looks on their faces that if there is some kind of nefarious master plan to throw games, they aren't in on it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 17, 2008 10:08 PM

Man, you have got to be one of the stupidist sob's on this board. Yeah, caron goes, 36 mins last night, and scores 5 points. Yeah, some effort, so according to your logic they are not tanking yet beacause CB played over 35 mins. And CB had "that look on his face". WTF is that supposed to mean?? So I guess if Caron has a "determined" look on his face, then he is giving it his all. I'll keep that in mind next time an all-star plays 36 mins and scores 5 points. As long as he has that "look on his face", then they are not tanking. Thanks for your much needed insight you dumb a$$ pos. Hahaha.

Posted by: cj658 | December 18, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

"Caron Butler (season-low five points on one-of-five shooting with six turnovers) was a non-factor and was strangely out of it most of the game. I would've loved to have asked him about it but he rolled out without talking." - Ivan Carter

Again Kalorama, you are as dumb as bricks. So I guess you would argue that CB is not "tanking it", due to the "look on his face". I still want to know what that look is, please elaborate. I'm very curious.

You stupid moran.

Posted by: cj658 | December 18, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

maybe some other Wiz fans can help me and tell me what "look" Kalorama was referring to. Please, I'm itching to know. Is he frowning, smiling, does he look mad? I'm clueless here. Someone help!!!

I've said it once, I'll say it again, this team is INTENTIONALLY tanking it, to make fans miss Gil even more. It's a business folks. Sometimes you have to sacrifice immediate gain, for long-term gain. And FYI, this is not a "retail" business, it's the NBA. A team can easily regain a fan base with something as simple as WINS. The Wizards are not "circuit city". They will not go "out of business", because of one lousy year. This is all about Gil, and the Wizards signing of him to 6 year deal was all about marketing and $, not winning. All he has to do is keep the team around .500 and get them back to the playoffs, and EG will look like a genious.

Posted by: cj658 | December 18, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

You stupid moran.

Posted by: cj658 | December 18, 2008 9:10 AM

Spit out my coffee. Oh, the irony.

Posted by: bryc3 | December 18, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

The Wiz are on a pace to win 15 games this year playing the "stars". 15!! Every guy under the age of 25 should play at least 30 minutes every night. This season is over, they may as well get the young guys ready for future years.
They would be the worst team in NBA history if it were not for Oklahoma City.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | December 18, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you all on the can Tapscott bandwagon. And thanks for firing that thing up. We've gotten worse in all aspects of the game since he took over. And like you guys put so succinctly, we need to play the young guys. You could look at this season and say, mathematically, we're not eliminated yet. But realistically, we're done. So let's get Nick Young minutes. Let's get Javale minutes. Play them with the first team guys. Make sure Blatche keeps getting minutes. If those three guys can contribute next year we'll be fine. If not, we need to get some new bodies. We gotta find out, so Grunnie's job in the offseason is that much easier.

Posted by: Matte | December 18, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards are just so depressed right now. You can read it on thier faces. At least Butler and Jamison bring it everynight.

Anyway we will have any cap room to go after Boozer next year?

Posted by: Terpos1980 | December 18, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Fell asleep 2 minutes into the 4th quarter. That is a first time for me (so what's that telling you)? I did not see the 4th quarter so I do not know what happened.

All I can say is Tabscott is actually WORSE then Eddie J'. The only thing I like what Tabscott has done was give AB consistent minutes. Although it is out of position (5 instead of the 4), he still is giving him minutes. That is something Eddie J' would never had done.

Now for the negatives from Tabscott:

1. Still playing "slow small ball" with Song. at the 5. 3 7 footers on the bench and he only plays one of them there, go figure?

2. Playing Stevenson WAY TO MANY minutes and refusing to bench him. Again, let him get his game back on playing against the 2nd stringers.

3. Still playing that stupid "rotating defense" when you do not have the footspeed to play it.

4. Playing AJ and CB WAY TO MANY minutes, thus causing them to slowly break down.

5. Not playing OPEC at all to see what he's got or not got. Give the dude a chance, what do we have to lose? Opps, my bad we are already losing.......?????

5. Last and not least, what Tabscott has done to McGee's game and confidence is just down right unacceptable. What he has done to McGee is way worse then the treatment Eddie J' was putting on AB hands down.

*** It might take a whole season to get that young boy's confidence back up. Eddie J' was on AB's case because he did not have a good work ethic. You can not say the same about McGee. McGee is the total opposite of AB in that regard.

So I do not know what Tabscott's problem is with McGee? When Eddie J' was here he used McGee's energy to ignite the other players. You could see how much fun CB and Juan were having with him out there at center.

Nothing against my boy AB, but he will really "take off" if he is allowed to play his natural position of the "4". That won't happened under Tabscott because he is too busy trying to "stick it" to McGee and "baby" Stevenson.

New Starting Lineup

5 - McGee (leave him in no matter what)
4 - AB
3 - AJ
2 - CB
1 - James

Bench

5 - Opec (leave him in no matter what)
4 - Song (do not slide him to the 5 period)
3 - DMac (will cover for lack of footspeed from the 4 and 5 spot)
2 - NY (leave him in no matter what)
1 - Juan Dixon

Do this and keep it consistent every game you will see positive results. But opps, I forgot; that is too much like right.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 18, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

too funny, bryc3

Posted by: original_mark | December 18, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Lets talk about some "Reality" news, who can the Wizards hope to get in the draft with the top 3 pick that can help them right away? Who looks good in college or international? Anyone? Go Caps!

Posted by: JohnWWW | December 18, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Tapscott has been in charge of player development for the past two years. Given his performance as the coach, maybe that explains the lack of development of the young guys. Taps and EJ probably sat around talking about how bad the young guys really are.

Maybe Obama can give this crew a few lessons on leadership when he gets to DC.

Posted by: Izman | December 18, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

It's funny, atleast Antonio Daniels got a win with his new team last night.

Posted by: brooksan | December 18, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

You stupid moran.
Posted by: cj658 | December 18, 2008 9:10 AM
Spit out my coffee. Oh, the irony.
Posted by: bryc3 | December 18, 2008 9:19 AM

Bryc3: I spelled “moron” wrong for a reason. So I guess you can swallow your coffee now.

Posted by: cj658 | December 18, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

The good news is that inspite of the losses mounting Blatche is finally playing more consistant basketball. He seems less intent on getting some run on Sports Center and more intent on competing on the court.

Few guys seem to throw themselves into year round conditioning until they've had a season of being expected to compete 82 nights a year. Then, and only then, do they seem to realize just what kind of grind the NBA really is. The experience Blatche is getting now will really payoff if he tops it off with a summer of hard work.

The Pistons overplayed Butler last night to keep him off his game, but James didn't always run the offense through Butler and Jamison like he's used to. Butler also wasn't working real hard to get open either. I've noticed Butler having several games where he's really appeared to be just going through the motions.

When Gil gets back, Butler and Jamison are going to have to readjust their games again. As they were saying last night in the Wiz pregame on comcast, Gil will have nearly two years of rust to work off. When he gets out on court it may not look pretty for awhile.

Before now and the end of the season the Wizards have to give Pecherov enough playing time to evaulute what they've got. Tapscott will have a delicate balance to acheive in trying to give McGee, Pecherov, and Crittendon time to develop while keeping the vets interested.

Posted by: flohrtv | December 18, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

You stupid moran.
Posted by: cj658 | December 18, 2008 9:10 AM
Spit out my coffee. Oh, the irony.
Posted by: bryc3 | December 18, 2008 9:19 AM

It (moran) goes back to a post a few weeks ago. I simply do it to mock people such as kalorama (and quite possibly yourself & orginalmark), who sit with a thesauas and dictionary next to them when they comment on a sports blog. I’m sure you got a kick out of that huh? OriginalMark apparently though so.

Posted by: cj658 | December 18, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I like that Blatche looks more confident and is playing harder in his starting role. It really seems like he knows this is his opportunity and he looks like he's taking advantage of it. Kudos to Blatche.

Besides the development of Blatche, the only exciting thing about watching this team right now is seeing McGee play. And for whatever reason Tapscott isn't playing the kid, so this team is about as unexciting as I can remember...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 18, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Wonder what is the worst season record for Bullets/Wizards? This team has a chance to set it!

Posted by: sagaliba | December 18, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Note to rphilli721: In my previous post I did not mention Eddie Jordan's name i only referred to Grunfeld really being the coach of this team in lieu of ETAP's ineptitude, i mean its not rocket science to see that this team is going nowhere fast and its because EG wanted get rid of Jordan from day one, i said this on numerous occasions last year EG was setting up Jordan for failure and injuries to BTH and Gil's continuing knee issues played right into EG's plan to get rid of Jordan this season when they got off to a poor start ,now one win in ten games sounds the panic button but doesn't Jordan get a mulligan after four straight playoff appearances and after all they started off last season losing five in a row before they went on six game winning streak,all i am saying is Jordan's dismissal has caused a dommino effect with this franchise and its players in terms of team continuity.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 18, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Worst season in franchise history was 1962 when the Chicago Packers went 18-62 for a 22.5% win%.
In 2001,the Wizards were 19-63 for a 23.3% win %
In 2009, the Wizards are 4-19 for a 17.4% win %

Posted by: jeremybozz | December 18, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

The_Shadow_Knows,

You are one that obviously believes that these dire circumstances are mostly due to the ineptitude of the players. I do not believe this. This team can rebound and they still have a player in JD that can push the point the right way if coached properly.

In the Blog where we Wizards fan were asked to give one thing that could make a difference for this team, I gave a full explanation why this team needed to run and how.

Unfortunately, the Blog owner (who I have been told is Kalorama) held my comment. I have asked twice for it to be released, join me, for therein is a full answer to your quetion.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 18, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Larry,
That's quite a leap to say I wholly blame the players when I was among those calling for EJ to be released as I felt he was not doing a good job of managing them. That said, these are professional athletes who are paid tremendous sums of money and I will not endlessly seek to blame external factors for players not working hard on the court. Everyone has off-days shooting the ball but defense and rebounding are and always will be more effort based than influenced by coaching. Players that are hungry for the ball go and get it.

Juan is not a point guard...he has had multiple coaches in college and the pros and been an adequate point under none of them, much less a good point guard. So are all of these prior coaches incapable of providing proper instruction to a point guard as well? No...it is just not his game.

I like a lot of the players on this team and am optimistic that some may develop into 1st tier NBA players. They need time to play and make mistakes; it's going to require patience.

Again, appreciate your enthusiasm but just disagree this is wholly a coaching issue or that simply running the ball every play is going to make any real difference in the win/loss column with the current personnel on this team. It may put a few more folks in seats and I am sure the players and Abe would appreciate that.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | December 18, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The_Shadow_Knows,

Your point is well taken, but why I insist on giving the coaching mostly all the blame, is because they are not even willing to see if playing this team Uptempo will make a difference.

So, unfortunately, unless they Run an Gun, we may never know if my point of view is any good atall.

Respectfully, LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 18, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD,
I agree the worst case scenario for running it constantly is they maintain their same dismal record. I was not a fan of Dee Brown but he did have a motor and could get up and down and I could see where they could have implemented this while he was still here. They are in a tough spot now without a true point.

Thanks for the response and your contribution to this blog, always refreshing.

Kind regards,