Player Reactions to Trade

Editor's note: Here are a few quotes from Wizards players about yesterday's trade, which sent Antonio Daniels to New Orleans and brought the Hornets' Mike James and the Grizzlies' Javaris Crittenton to the Wizards. The team also released Dee Brown.

Brendan Haywood: "The trade didn't surprise me because we needed something. I think it will be a good boost and I think the player swap will work out fine."

Nick Young: "I'm going to miss A.D. and Dee Brown. A.D. had a lot of faith in me. He was like a little captain out there. I'm sad to see them leave, but I've been learning that up here. Loss of coach, loss of players. Now we've got Javaris Crittenton, a good friend of mine. And I know Mike James too."

Dominic McGuire: "I guess they felt like it was needed, but I'm definitely going to miss A.D. and Dee Brown. Mike James is a scorer-point guard, good player. Javaris is a young, athletic point guard also. They're our teammates now so we're going to welcome them with open arms."

DeShawn Stevenson: "I think it was good for us. It gives us a true point guard, who wants to play the point. It's tough, though, because I played with A.D. for three years. And Dee Brown was a very good dude."

Brendan Haywood: "I think it works out for AD. At this point in his career I think he would like to be more of a back-up on a championship-level team. He's also better in screen-and-rolls and that is basically all New Orleans runs. I think there hasn't been a trade that has worked out like this for both parties in quite some time."

By Alexa Steele  |  December 11, 2008; 9:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Trade Odds and Ends
Next: Crittenton, James at Shootaround

Comments

Thanks Ivan.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 11, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

so who starts at point until GA returns? JD and DSteve are horrible at point. How about the Wiz just start their best 5 players and not worry about it.
CB, JM, AJ, NY, AB.

Posted by: oddjob1 | December 11, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Who is Deshawn referring to, Dee or AD. How about a true 2 guard who can shoot and one who doesn't wave his hand in front of his face when he hits his 1st of the game in the 4th quarter.

Posted by: zxhoya | December 11, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

whatever the case it was a good move. I hope AD does well and we handle the Celtics tonight!

Posted by: WizardsExtreme | December 11, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Has Haywood been reading this blog?

Posted by: tundey | December 11, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: zxhoya | December 11, 2008 9:38 AM

Neither. Did u read the article numbnuts? Quit talkin' $#it about the only good defender on the team.

Posted by: prescrunk | December 11, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

BUILDING MOVES we should make at trading deadline -- move deshawn

DeShawn Stevenson + Oleksiy Pecherov mybe a futur 2nd rd pick

to memphis for

Brian Cardinal sf/pf (2010) expiring

--------------- then

Etan Thomas + Mike James + Brian Cardinal (2010) expirings

to new jersey for

Vince Carter mybe we give them the 09 2nd or a futur 1st

Gilbert / Crittenton / Dixon

Carter / Young / Crittenton

Caron / McGuire / 2009 1st (if lucky Blake Griffin could play some SF for us)

Jamison / Blatche / Songaila

Haywood / McGee / Blatche

------------ or

Etan Thomas + Mike James mybe a futur 2nd rd pick

to chicago for

Larry Hughes (2010) expiring also

Gilbert / Crittenton / Dixon

Hughes / Young / Crittenton 2009 1st

Caron / McGuire / Cardinal

Jamison / Blatche / Songaila

Haywood / McGee / Blatche

(Around 24 million in expiring contracts in 2010)

Posted by: jahbless420 | December 11, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

more i want more lol
more moves now

Posted by: jahbless420 | December 11, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Scrunk,
Stevenson puts himself out there for critique, since he talks so much trash, feels the need to celebrate after making every jumper. I accept the fact that he is a defensive shooting guard, but I think he should just shut up & do his job.

It may be Stevenson's antic's that is drawing all this ire...

Posted by: -CN- | December 11, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

etan and decrap stevenson should do for larry...

whoever said stevenson is the best defender on our team....dont make me laugh....he can't stop anyone....name one premier scorer this year he's shutdown or even contain. mostly they're just draining 3's or jamming in his face.

Posted by: insanity999 | December 11, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Now who is suggesting we trade Caron Butler? That is goofball bulls##t move, he is our best player on the team bar none and in my opinion the face of the franchise the most consistent scoring threat we have and he plays defense Please!! if all you have to do is come up with crazy trade krap go to the Nationals blog.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 11, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: crs-one | December 11, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Dam good suggestion, oddjob1. Play our best and make teams adjust to us.

zxhoya, that was hilarious. Also very true.

I never saw the trade Butler suggestions but it would ensure a top 3 pick for us, for sure.

Looks like the Suns said screw it and are going back to running and gunning. I'm betting they start winning games and wind up being a top playoff seed barring any injuries. I wish we'd make that same decision.

Posted by: original_mark | December 11, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

It may be Stevenson's antic's that is drawing all this ire...

Posted by: -CN- | December 11, 2008 10:14 AM

he doesn't even do it anymore. go to a game once in a while. (it costs $11)

lets take it outside: http://www.wizardsextreme.com

Posted by: prescrunk | December 11, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

VINCE CARTER = CHAMPIONSHIP

Posted by: jahbless420 | December 11, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: prescrunk | December 11, 2008 10:07 AM

prescunk, you know why nuts are numb, get off of em'. I didn't know Deshawn was your cousin, I will use a little more tact next time in your presence when referring to the only defensive player on our team. So what if he can't shoot, pass, dribble or drive to the hoop, I'm a numbnut.

Posted by: zxhoya | December 11, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

GIVE US LARRY HUGHES (THEN) OR VINCE CARTER

PLZ MOVE I CANT FEEL MY FACE DESHAWN SUCKALOT

Posted by: jahbless420 | December 11, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

RE: Stevenson
This is not meant to bash him, but if he doesn't make as many shots than he will obviously not perform the gesture as much, right? His stats are down terribly than his career averages. Just sayin'...

Posted by: -CN- | December 11, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

It seems that the players above seem to like this trade. If this is the sentiment throughout the team, then there is no way we can measure the tremendous intangible benefit to the team and to team chemistry. This trade, I think reveals that EG is proactive in trying to get this team winning and I would hope that ETaps had input in this decision.

I like more about this trade than anything else, is that the players, from the comments above, seem to be thumbs up to the deal.

BulletsFan78, Kalo_rama, DC_Mann, we cannot underestimate the attitudes and the feelings of the players.

More than anything the players will determine the success of this trade, adsent bad coaching of course, but I like this, and I am betting on a 500 hundred team by Allstar break.

LarryInClintonMD

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 11, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"You know, besides an occasional hand wave (granted, due to the occasional made shot), deshawn seems to have been keeping to his no-antic policy. he's been a quiet dude this season. i'd almost say that policy has hurt him."

I tend to agree. He's not playing with the same aggression and attitude he has ion the past with the Wiz, and it appears to have had an effect on his game. He's not a good enough player to get by on pure talent, he's heads got to be in the right place and it doesn't look like it is.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 11, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

I'm a numbnut.

Posted by: zxhoya | December 11, 2008 11:15 AM

owned.

Posted by: prescrunk | December 11, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

DSS is an embarrassment to this team, and to the fans. The numbers on 82games.com don't lie. He's a -126 for the year. No one else is even close. Even Etan, the second biggest bama on this team, is only -90.

Despite his reputation for being a defensive stopper, he routinely gets lit up by opposing players. And his offense, which was suspect to begin with, has completely disappeared. You do realize that in the win against the Pistons, he scored THREE points in 32 minutes, right? Meanwhile Rip Hamilton went for almost 30. He is literally stealing money from this franchise, and all the antics just make it that much worse.

Posted by: bryc3 | December 11, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I hope BH has been reading this Blog. It would give me no greater satisfaction for him to see that some of us and especially me, knew that he is and always has been a credible NBA center for years. ET wasted his time and is still wasting time for Wizards.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 11, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

EDIT:

That should be:

"...his head's got to be in the right place and it doesn't look like it is."

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 11, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryc3 | December 11, 2008 11:49 AM

bryce is an embarrassment to Wiz fans. Deshawn is just a head case. he'll pick himself back up. the only person stealing money from this franchise is Gilbert. also fyi Etan is the biggest bama in the league.

Posted by: prescrunk | December 11, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

CB, JM, AJ, NY, AB.

Posted by: oddjob1 | December 11, 2008 9:36 AM

Juan had 7 assists last game, and a season high of 11 vs. the Knicks. He's made some sweet low-post entry passes this year, a skill he honed feeding Lonny Baxter and Chris Wilcox in the paint in college. Yet you recommend having NICK YOUNG run the point? He should be starting, but definitely not at PG.

Posted by: KShark28 | December 11, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: prescrunk | December 11, 2008 11:59 AM

So you like Deshawn but don't like Gil, yep, I'm a numbnut.

Posted by: zxhoya | December 11, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I suspect DS is referring to himself explaining that he and the likes of Young and Dixon who have been asked to bring the ball up and make decisions this year from the point would rather pay their position.

I think Rip going off on one is not man defense problems,but out team defensive efforts i.e. our inability to rotate to a scurrying sharpshooter that we should never have let go.

Posted by: yankeevicar | December 11, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

...It's painful enough to see the team's vets like Jamison (defensively) or Daniels (beat up & old age) struggling, but could you imagine how much more frustrating it would be if either (or both) of those guys flapped their arms or shimmey'ed after they ALL of their made shots?

It may be Stevenson's antic's that is drawing all this ire...

Posted by: -CN- | December 11, 2008 10:14 AM

I like the Captain, but that dude has a sour apple face after any 'non-call' he felt was legit. It reminds me that he's a tarheel and that makes me sick.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | December 11, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Wizards' players were also saying they were happy that AD got a chance to play with a true contender at this point in his career. I'm happy for him because he's a classy guy who accepted whatever role he was asked to play. I think his teammates also knew his age/injuries were causing his play to deteriorate and knew we needed some new blood.

As for DSS, his play has gone down as he's been asked to be more than be a spot up shooter and defensive player. It's a shame that true Wizards fans are ripping him when he's just a symptom of all that ails the Wizards (no Arenas, no true center with BTH hurt, and no real PG on the roster.) His play will improve if Agent Zero returns this year and he isn't asked to do things that aren't his strengths. As for his gestures, he's an emotional player and no one had problems with it last year when he was playing well.

Posted by: wizfan89 | December 11, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse