Stevenson Out of Starting Lineup

DeShawn Stevenson's streak of starting 275 straight games will end tomorrow night at Charlotte, interim coach Ed Tapscott said today.

Caron Butler could shift to shooting guard in a lineup that would also include Dominic McGuire at small forward. Or Nick Young could simply replace Stevenson.

Tapscott has been reluctant to sit Stevenson but said the two recently had a conversation during which Stevenson suggested that he'd be willing to come off the bench if it would help the team.

Stevenson didn't speak to reporters today but that vibes with Stevenson's overall makeup. He's been a stand-up guy all season despite his and the team's struggles.

Stevenson, who is averaging 7.6 points on 31.7 percent shooting, played only 15 minutes last night in the loss to Dallas.

"In a real team gesture he basically told me: 'Hey Tap, I'm struggling a bit, why don't you let me come off the bench and see if I can't get my swag back going against some second-line guys,' " Tapscott said. "I thought that an enormously gracious thing to say. And so, we're looking at different combinations with the lineup whether big or small and let DeShawn go with the second unit for awhile. He's the ultimate team guy and that's why I have so much respect for him."

Detroit's Tayshaun Prince is the only player in the league with a longer active starting streak than Stevenson.

By Ivan Carter  |  December 22, 2008; 2:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MMPG: The FourCast
Next: You Tell Us: Wizards Speak Out

Comments

About time. Long overdue.

Now...what about Pech?

Posted by: original_mark | December 22, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

The fact that it took DS to go to Tap t make this decision makes me lose almost all respect for Tap's ability as a coach.

I like the first suggestion with Cb moving to the 2 and McGuire starting. It gives us better rebounding and D at the 3. Let's see what happens...then play Pech.

Posted by: original_mark | December 22, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Any HOPE a trade, Ivan? We need a serious infusion of talent.

Posted by: mmeziane | December 22, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I definitely echo the sentiment that this is a demerit against Tapscott in that he waited this long to make a necesary move. And waiting to get the players permission because of some stupid streak (that probably should have ended long ago) is even worse. Hopefully DeBrick will not only come of the bench but see minor minutes.

After initial excitement over the coaching change, it's become obvious that Tapscott is little more than an EJ clone. Too bad.

Posted by: LyricalRico | December 22, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Yea, I too am somwhat puzzled by the fact that Tapscott could not bring himself to bench Deshawn. I hear him on his being an upstanding guy and yadda, yadda, and I even like the dude at times but, he should have benched a while back. Now just think, had Deshawn not spoken up, he would probably still be starting. That's crazy! EJ may not have been the best coach in the world and I like Tapscott as a person, but as a coach, I don't think so! No wonder this team is a mess. If they lose to the the Thundercats, I am done for the season!

Posted by: ivyleague | December 22, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Classy move by Stevenson. Give up a streak that you know was important to him for the betterment of the team.

Posted by: MDBaller1 | December 22, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Caron at SG and Stevenson to the bench... I like this lineup. Stevenson has to be traded his hand celebration is just so annoying.

Posted by: jercha | December 22, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I mean come on. This thing is not personal. I personally like DeShawn, but Dude should have been benched 10 games ago. Seriously. It's inhumane to keep starting him. I can't believe it took this to bench him. WOW!!!

I swear the coaches are IDIOTS. At this point I would play McGee until his tongue hangs out of his mouth or until he fouls out. Nick Young needs major minutes. He can create his own shot ANYTIME.

Also, HOW DO YOU NOT PLAY JUAN. Besides CB he has more heart than anyone on the team. Forget about matchups at this point. Play the Ballers and the heart players who are going to scrap.

I'm telling you they are KILLING thier fan base. They are not the Redskins. Watch...

Posted by: kevenjones | December 22, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Ivan...your late. SportzWiz is gunning for that job.

Posted by: LooseCannon1 | December 22, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Mark, you're exactly right. Uh, the coach couldn't see this with his own eyes and make the change? The worst player on the team has to ASK to be demoted? Huh? Tap is in waaayyyy over his head.

Posted by: keithward64 | December 22, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jercha | December 22, 2008 3:26 PM

he doesn't even do it anymore. have u seen a game this season???

Posted by: prescrunk | December 22, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Agree with the posters that it should not take DW coming to the coach. The coach needs to recognize this and be able to make the move. Isn't that one of his job duties???

Speaking of trades, there is nobody on the roster worth trading at their current pricing. Who is going to pick up AJ's contract? Butler is only one maybe

Time to get Pech off the bench. Either play the guy or drop him. EG has made more bad moves than good ones. Guess he did not bring his prior good luck with him.

Basically, the rest of the year the players will be auditioning for next year. Hopefully they will bring back Gil a little at a time.

We need to hope for a great pick in the Top 3 (of course this is probably the year that nobody great is coming out ala Kwame Brown).

Onto 2009-2010 season. This one is long gone.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | December 22, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevenjones | December 22, 2008 3:27 PM

YOU are an idiot. Ernie Grunfeld is the coach. line-ups won't even make a difference with this team. Juan doesn't play because he sucks.

Posted by: prescrunk | December 22, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Long Overdue. Could have added a win or 2 if it was done a long time.

This maybe just a ploy so that DSS have a "graceful" exit on the starting line-up.

Posted by: Dave381 | December 22, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

prescrunk you are clueless. So DeShawn plays/starts because he doesn't suck??

Juan has game and heart. Trust me. He overachives when given playing time. At this point he should get at least 18-20 minutes a game. The kid has HEART. He's not the most athletic but he makes plays and is never SCARED.

Posted by: kevenjones | December 22, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Little by little this season becomes more and more about playing and evauluating the young guys.

I'd start McGuire, and slide Butler to the two, which should be another important experiment to see if it works as well.

Reducing Stevenson's minutes and trying Butler at the two should also give more time get McGee and Blatche some time on the court together.

Why not free Pech from the inactive list? If Tapps is afraid of playing Blatche at the 4 because of potential foul trouble, inactivate Juan sometimes, and have Pecherov and Etan to back up at center.

With Stevenson coming off the bench he can play a few minutes of point if needed and Tapps has still got to find if Crittenton can play too.

At least Tapps tried some different combos against Dallas. If we're going to watch this team lose at least be creative about it.

I love the, "if they lose to this team or lose to that team I'm out of here posts". Folks, the point is just how many balls can we get in that lottery machine, a 1-10 start doomed this team. The lower the finish the higher the pick, no sense going out and winning some games and messing it up at this point.

I've watched the NBA for 45 years, the hardest thing to find is a closer. An effective game closer and take an in-effective team and make them into a playoff team.

At this point the Wiz need to keep a careful eye on all the top ten prospects and hope Gil regains his health.

Maybe by March he'll start throwing in some buzzer beaters and get some swag back in this team. Until then look for small signs of hope. They played Dallas tough for three quarters, McGuire is looking more like a keeper every day, and Blatche is playing at a more consistant level.

Posted by: flohrtv | December 22, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I like Juan, But at this point finding out what the kid's have is the point of this season.

I don't see where juan fits in to a rebuilding effort here. I love the guy and wish he could find a home in the NBA.

But this train wreck of a season doomed Juan to being an after thought on another team. Another lost season for the guy. At least he's getting paid...

Posted by: flohrtv | December 22, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: prescrunk | December 22, 2008 3:42 PM

I'd have to disagree. Juan, is very explosive, but a liability on defense. He gets steals by playing the passing lanes, but he's more of gnat, than say a Bee. His defense has no sting. But givin the green light he can score with the best of them.

This line up I like but, who knows if its going to work. I always wanted to see Caron at the 2, with Jamison at the 3, Blatche at the 4, and they can put pech at the 5 (weak but no one else) he can clear the lane by standing out on the perimeter which will give people more of an oportunity to score, like Caron from the 2 position a Jomison from the 3.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | December 22, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

SportWiz had it posted here 25 min before Ivan got it! ;)

In regards to this news....about time

Posted by: WizardsExtreme | December 22, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

why the clamoring for Pech? Haven't you seen him play? He's absolutely terrible. He's got an average jump shot at best, plays no D, can't run, and he gathers rebounds only if they bounce right to him. Plus, if he demonstrated any skills, don't you think he'd be inactive almost every night, or is it an anti-Ukranian conspiracy orchestrated by Ernie and the Eddies? Please. The only thing redeemable about Pech is his nickname.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | December 22, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy the story about DSS coming to Tap and offering that up. I see that as Tap spinning this to take the sting out of benching DSS. Makes DSS look like a good guy. Surely I'm not alone in that?

People, please listen:

The answers are not on the bench. They're not even on this team.

This is, statistically, the worst team we've had in recent memory. And that is saying something, because we've had some terrible squads over the years.

If any of these guys were going to be stars, especially NY and AB, they would have done something by now. They've been given a golden opportunity to shine- key players are out, the team is struggling, and the mean old coach got fired. Yet AB and NY STILL won't rise to the occasion, still won't get the message. Why? Because they're sometimey, and they always will be. Could they develop into serviceable players? Sure. Will they ever be stars? No. The team is lousy, they've got every chance in the world to grab a starting spot, and they don't show up. I've seen all I need to see. Name one All-NBA player who has behaved the same way in a similar situation? You can't.

And please god, stop with the Pech stuff. If ANYONE in the organization thought he could play, he would have been out there already. Don't you think the players, at the very least, would have made a case for him? He's sorry and can't play. Face reality.

Posted by: bryc3 | December 22, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Stevenson to the bench???? FINALLY!!!!! Stevenson gets my vote as "Coach of the Year." Can he design a defense that will prevent teams from throwing uncontested alley oops on them???? What's the deal with Washington athletes taking themselves in and out of games? First Portis, now Stevenson.... Great move, just wish it would have come from....maybe the COACH!!!

Revised young, athletic lineup:

Crittenton/James/Dixon (take your pick)
Nick Young
Butler
Blatche
McGee
(Jamison, McGuire first subs off the bench)

Jamison can still get his minutes and his points (look at Jason Terry and Louis Williams).

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | December 22, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I echo everybody's comments that this showed Tapscott doesn't know what he's doing. Although Stevenson said, "Hey Tap, I'm struggling a bit, why don't you let me come off the bench," what he really meant was, "Why the **** am I still starting?! I'm stinking up the joint, Mr. Oblivious. Let me go the bench and regroup, you fool!"

Posted by: disgruntledfan | December 22, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | December 22, 2008 4:13 PM

Agreed but with my line up you will need to bring JM off the bench and I am not a huge fan of Etan Thomas, every time they pass the ball to him I think he will fumble and turn the ball over...

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | December 22, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Thank GOD, finally! This move shouldbe been made....oh 6 weeks ago!?!? Props to Stevenson for suggesting it and I have nothing against the guy, but it's time for him to shake things up and see if he can get out of that horrid slump. But Tapscott is a total clown for not doing this earlier.

Let's go with a line up of McGee, Jamison, Butler, Young and James. I'd like Mcguire, Blatche, and Dixon first off the bench to spell these guys.

Everyone suggesting DM into the starting line up....let's face it guys we're not going to stop anybody defensively with this team this year...we just need to out score them and that line up lets us go big and outscore people.

Posted by: insanity999 | December 22, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Now that I'm thinking more about this ...

Tapscott either believes that Stevenson is the best they've got and should start, or he's not the best they have and shouldn't start. Why should it matter what Stevenson says? If Tapscott believes that the Wizards are better off with Stevenson on the floor, when Stevenson offered to come off the bench, Tapscott should have said, "I appreciate that, but we need you on the floor. You're still starting."

This suggests that Tapscott wanted to bench Stevenson but was afraid to do so, or he doesn't want to bench Stevenson, but now feels like he must because Stevenson offered.

What the heck?

Posted by: disgruntledfan | December 22, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: prescrunk | December 22, 2008 3:42 PM
You are the Idiot, Juan dont play because of his pay grade and is not Enie boy. True he is not a difference maker, true Ernie is the coach but false the he sucks worst than DS,MJ,AD,JC,and even NY at this point in his career. So if Juan sucks then the rest of our guards Super-Sucks. The reason he doesnt play dont have anything to do with his abilities. Caron and Juan has more heart than rest of our team combine, including AJ. Question if the game is on the line and you have to take one last jumper to win, who do you want to take it."Must be a guard". Thank-you

Posted by: dsquare | December 22, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Juan is a defensive liability, but he hustles, makes some plays, and has a shot. Juan has been more of an asset than DS. Play the young players more including Crittenden. Play DS only about 10 minutes per game, until he gets his shot back.

Posted by: bailey5 | December 22, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

What's going on? My antenna went up when I heard I was being discussed on the blog.

Posted by: SportzWiz | December 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

KALORAMMMMMMMAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: cj658 | December 22, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

I read some of your post and probably 99 percent of you would suck as a coach and a GM. You're too emotional. Too impatient. You would change your lineups after every loss and you would trade away players and fire your coach every year if your team did not win a championship. Most of us criticize people like Dan Snyder but most fans think just like him.

Posted by: ged0386 | December 22, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

What are kalorama's thought on all this??

Posted by: cj658 | December 22, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The problem with this team is simple: We have to play Caron and AJ 40 minutes every night, so down the stretch they get winded and we lose the 4th quarter by 15 points...Although I think DeShawn's production for a starting 2 guard is atrocious. The problem problem with this team which I mentioned above has nothing to do with whether he was in the starting line-up. But as original_mark said, if it took DeShawn to ask to be benched for Tapsqaut (This is what Buckhantz called him by mistake the other night) to do it, then I don't think he's going to take any measures to fix the initial problem I mention above.

Posted by: MBUSA | December 22, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to DeShawn for manning up. Not convinced it'll make any difference, but given how close to the absolute rock bottom they are, it certainly can't hurt.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 22, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

No wonder the Wiz are 4 and 20.This team has no idenity no leadership or a clue of how to win games. How can you let a player who has been a drag on the team continiue to play heavy minutes, when he has to tell the coach that his game stinks.
Where are the capitans? where are the assistance coaches. What will it take for someone or somebody to tell the coach that his coaching method is a disaster.
The wizards are like a vessel floating in the ocean with no rutter, just floating amelistly with no direction, no one at the helm. We need a real coach with a plan. not a yes man who's only plan is to rotate player in and out, in and out, for no reason.
They should have kept this story in the locker room.it is ashame!!!!!

Posted by: tdk31 | December 22, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Goals for Success:

1/ AB getting major minutes.... check

2/ Stevenson finally going to the bench......... check

3/ No more minutes for Etan....... check

4/ NY maybe getting 30 minutes a game........ pending

5/ No more "slow small ball" with Song. at the 5........ pending

6/ 25 to 30 minutes for McGee no matter what........... pending

7/ Not playing AJ and CB so many minutes a game....... pending

***If we can get a "check" beside 4, 5, 6, and 7 we will start winning some games..........

Come on Tapscott, throw away Eddie J's coaching manual and blow the dust off of the one you should be using.......

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 22, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

EXCELLENT !!!! As much as I would like to see CB at the 2 and start DMac, I think it would really mess up our rotation. Who will back up DMAC at the 3? And what about Young? If CB plays the 2 then wouldnt DeBrick back him up so where does that leave Nick? I think Young needs to start. I hope Tap dosent start Nick and only play him 4 mins or something crazy like that. This move may not produce anymore wins but at least we get to see our teams future.
BTW.... Ivan I dont believe DeBrick asked to be removed from the starting line up.

Posted by: dhbond | December 22, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I've got a question for ETap. Why do we not see more offense/defense substitutions in late game situations? He was doing it briefly in the fourth quarter of the Philly game, but stopped doing it in the last three minutes. I don't get it. NBA teams use a time-out before every offensive possession, so it's not like you need to have offensive players like AJ playing defense just so he's out there when they get the ball back. Just a thought.

Posted by: SportzWiz | December 22, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Quote: "If any of these guys were going to be stars, especially NY and AB, they would have done something by now".

AB has played a whopping 3047 minutes in the NBA (and none in college). That equates to one full season of 37 minutes a game for 82 games. For those 37 minutes, he averaged 13 points and 9 boards. And he has been misamanaged, so those averages could easily have been 15 and 10. Big guys take several of PLAYING to improve. If he gets 30-35 a game for the next two years, he'll be better than Shawn Kemp at Kemp's prime and should be able to make the all-star team by the time he is 26.

Posted by: Izman | December 22, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

About time!!

I agree with the post above about not believing it was DeShawn's idea, but Tap putting a good spin on it. Most likely the "conversation" was Tap explaining that he was thinking about it, and DeShawn agreeing to it. Plus it keeps trade value higher to say he's our starter and still would be, and isn't he such a good team player.

I like the idea of playing Caron at the 2 and getting McGuire in the lineup. It works because both guys can basically play the 2 or 3 depending on matchups, and McGuire can guard the 2. This lineup should help us on the boards where we are getting killed.

We can now come off the bench at sg with Young for offense or DeShawn for D. When we take out McGuire we can slide Caron up to the 3, or slide Jamison over to sf from the 4. Blatche at the 5, backed by McGee and Etan. We can slide Blatche down to pf when needed, or come off the bench there with Songaila. Overall the change in the starting lineup seems to help our rotaion, our depth, our size and creating more opportunity for our frontcourt players.

I like the idea of having Blatche and McGuire's athleticim and shot blocking in the frontcourt with Jamison, Caron and James.

Bring back Eddie Jordan and Larry Hughes!! And while you're at it, bring back the name WASHINGTON BULLETS !!!

Anyone ever notice Cap is another name for Bullet?? Kinda funny ain't it?

Posted by: Darnell1 | December 22, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

"Big guys take several of PLAYING to improve."

Jermaine O'Neal averaged fewer minutes than Blatche his first 4 years in Portland. His first year in Indy he averaged a double-double. All those years of not playing didn't seem to hurt him from making the most of the opportunity when he got the chance.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 22, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

With Stevenson going to the bench, you have to wonder if Vegas will post odds on who we'll be blaming next...

Posted by: Samson151 | December 22, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

If they're reluctant to use Pecherov even as a backup at this stage, you really have to wonder what they have. This is a bad team with no size and they've got a 7-footer that they don't even activate?

I guess he could blossom the way some European players have after a couple of years. But he looks like he has no athletic ability - or more accurately not enough athleticism to stay in this league.

Is he going to get quicker and faster over the next year or two? I doubt it.

It seems to me that they're keeping him solely because they made him a No. 1 pick. Otherwise, they'd find another body.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 22, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

i don't buy into the conspiracy theory that this is just a cover for tapscott to pull stevenson. i think it's more believable that tapscott was too reluctant to pull him and it took stevenson's suggestion.

i would tend to think that tapscott may have wanted it, but was tiptoeing around it...until he gave stevenson 15 mins last game and stevenson was like 'look, i know i'm slumping, and now i know you don't want to play me much, so you don't have to keep starting me for the sake of a streak."

and i agree with disgruntledfan's sentiment that if taps really believed he should be starting, he should have said "i need you starting." so it does show that tapscott hesitated.

i do like the idea of jamison as our sixth man. he is a consistent performer and merits starting minutes, but i still like the idea of resting his legs more. and we all know what he can do as a sixth man.

not that it makes much difference, but here's what i want for christmas
crit/james
arenas
butler
blatche
mcgee

or

arenas
butler
jamison
songaila
mcgee

as for the second one, i thought it'd be fun to get people worked up about someone suggesting songaila start instead of blatche. and i was about to say blatche except here's my thought: he sees himself as more of a scoring option and if you've got a lineup with butler, arenas, and jamison, you should have someone who's willing to be more of an enabler than a scorer. songaila is more ready to look for the pass, and when they go to him as the second option, he knocks down the jumper more consistently. blatche knocks them down when he's on a roll and is counted on as a first option. but as a second option he's just not steady.

Posted by: crs-one | December 22, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

If Tapscott remains an "interim" coach, why has there been so little reporting or discussion about who EG is looking at as a permanent replacement?

Posted by: jweber1 | December 22, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Now if he would only say,"Hey Tap, why don't you talk to EG and have me traded."

Sad if the player suggests being benched and the coach cannot do it himself. The coach needs to decide what is better for the team, not the player.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 22, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

"Caron Butler could shift to shooting guard in a lineup that would also include Dominic McGuire at small forward."

Aww com'on now Ivan.

You know I suggested this (as well as a few others) crap weeks ago. Taps is coaching from your blog man. :P

While I am happy if they do this, I will also be kinda miffed because it took so freakin long.

I'd love to see this line-up.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | December 22, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Kallie,

Jermaine averaged 13 points and 9.8 boards in his fifth year in the league at 32 minutes a game.

AB has averaged 13 points and 9.5 boards over 37 minutes in the first four years of his career.

Big men like JO and AB take several years to develop and improve.

See http://www.82games.com/wong1.htm

Apply JO's improvement curve or the NBA average improvement curve to AB and it suggests he could be a 20/10/5 F/C in a few years.

See the curve at http://www.82games.com/wong1.htm

Posted by: Izman | December 22, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

For all of you talking about how Tap shouldn't have had to "wait" for Stevenson to take himself out of the lineup, consider this, Tap thinks so much of DeShaun that this is the way they decided to play it to assist DeShaun in "saving a little face".
I really have a hard time with you all complaining about how bad they are. Four years of playoffs after 25+ years of futility and you people act we are "owed" the playoffs. Take Kobe and Bynum off the Lakers and see how competitive they are.

Posted by: brettmartin | December 22, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

I just want to smash my head through the TV watching the Wizards coaching staff huddle at the end of the game to strategize with Tapscott surrounded by Dave Hopla and Tony Massenburg (a volunteer) with Wes Unseld Jr drawing up a play.

Posted by: Darnell1 | December 22, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 22, 2008 5:27 PM

its called the UDC Offense

Posted by: prescrunk | December 22, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Yet another ham-fisted attempt to spin and distort the numbers to try and sell your point. Posting stats isn't the same as making a point or answering a question.

You said big men only developed by playing. O'Neal (like Blatche) came right out of H.S., barely played his first five years, yet when he became a full-time starter played at a near All-Star level. So, either he was an all-star caliber player right out of high school and the Blazers were too blind to notice, or else he spent that time in Portland when he wasn't playing actually learning and developing in practice, the summer, and learning on the bench. Which only begs the question . . why hasn't Blatche done the same?

O'Neal averaged fewer minutes his first five years than Blatche has his first four, yet he managed to emerge from that period of inactivity a complete player. Blatche was in the regular rotation all-last season, played every game including several starts. He's played every game this season, including several starts. Yet he's failed to show the kind of progress with regular playing time that O'Neal achieved with minimal PT.

Why?

The answer has to do with work, focus, and commitment, not stats.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 22, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Anyone ever notice Cap is another name for Bullet?? Kinda funny ain't it?

Posted by: Darnell1 | December 22, 2008 6:26 PM

lmfao Darnell1 4 GM!!!

Posted by: prescrunk | December 22, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

just to give ivan credit, he's been saying butler at the two since before the season began.

Posted by: crs-one | December 22, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Since the Washington Post is suffering with a decrease in advertisement revenue resulting in early retirements and since the Wiz suck period, I suggest closing this blog down until a. the team is blown up, or b. the team changes ownership.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 22, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Etan gets dumped on every day, even when he is not playing.

Absent the heart surgery, Etan Thomas would be hitting the peak of his career. Clearly he has had a setback because of the heart surgery. Does it make sense to throw him under the bus because of that? Well maybe it does, if the aortic valve repair means that he is effectively finished as a player.

If that's the case, then the Wizards should just release him and give the roster spot to someone else.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | December 22, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark | December 22, 2008 2:59 PM

The fact that you lost all respect for Tap as a coach because Stevenson went to him about this makes me lose all respect for you as a commenter on this board.

Posted by: Barno1 | December 22, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

JD at point, CB at two, AJ at three, AB at four, and JM at the five, JD pushes up the court to the hoop to score first or pass. If nothing there, then reset to halfcourt offense.

We'll beat your granddaddys and your grandmommas. Lets go back.

LarryInClintonND.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 22, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Absent the heart surgery, Thomas would be a 30-year-old journeyman of no particular distinction who most people would have forgotten was still in the league.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 22, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Very Interesting! Several days after the trade was made I suggested that they should think about competition. Let me repeat what I thought was wise back then and see where we are:

I thought that they should think of playing folks at their natural positions and the ones that would fit their skill sets if the team were fully healthy. I suggested that we had no point guard with James being more of a shooter and Crittenden raw and not able to run this offense yet. So let the better man surface. So far it is clearly James. I suggested Butler at the 2 and moving him back to the 3 when Gil returns. I suggested starting DMac at the 3 now to give him minutes and groom him as the back-up when CB is shifted back to the 3 upon Gil's return. I suggested starting Blatche at his best position and McGee at the 5 to be Brendens back-up. Come in with Jamison as 6th man, Young as second unit "micro-wave", and use Darius and Etan and Pech as backup centers by committee. Let DS sit at far end of bench.

Nothing that I have seen has made me change my mind about this. I am thrilled that the decision on DS was made but as others I am very disturbed at how the decision was apparently made or at least the spin that is being put on it. This makes me really wonder about Taps as a leader. But I am glad that we are one step closer to the line-up that I have been hoping for. Also glad that Taps is not just putting same old losing rotation out there each night but tweaking it. Just hope they realize that without Gil and Haywood we are handicapped as a team and so as GM mentioned recently look for the small victories each game.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | December 22, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

According to the ratings on 82games.com,
AB has improved every year in the league:

-9.7
-7.3
-6.1
+2.9

His PER rating is above 15, which is the average for the league.

BTW, I missed the clue the other day about the blog keeper. Kalorama=Ivan.

Posted by: Izman | December 22, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Stop ragging on Taps. He's not the one out there who's leaving his man on D or screwing up on rotations. It's also not DSteve's fault that the team is losing--he was brought here to be a defensive specialist and a fourth or fifth option on offense, not a guy who puts up a lot of points. That worked pretty well when Gilbert was in there, but now we need something different.

I like the idea of playing Caron at the 2 with DM at the 3. DM is a great rebounder at both ends and he really gets into guys' faces on D. Also, I could see him getting some alley-oops from Mike James since he's quick and has major ups, and other teams are going to lose him sometimes because he doesn't shoot much.

But I also would like to see Taps go with an XXL lineup--McGee at center and Blatche at PF, with AJ at the 3. McGee's been having his problems lately, but he's a tremendous raw talent and he'll get better in a hurry with more minutes.

As for Pech, he's not going to make it in this league until he figures out how to post up and shoot 10-15 foot turnaround jumpers and drive to the rim, instead of hanging around on the perimeter and jacking up that ugly set shot. He's also got to play some D and box out and hit the boards. He looks like a guy who's trying to emulate Nowitski but doesn't get it that Dirk works at other aspects of the game besides shooting.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | December 22, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

And, predictably, you respond to a point that posting stats not being equal to making an actual argument or point ... by posting more stats and making no attempt to put forth an actual argument or point.

At least you're consistent.

Posted by: kalo_rama | December 23, 2008 1:58 AM | Report abuse

JD at point because of the fact that he is offense first, but he will push to the hoop first to score or pass to his breakers. It would put the defense at a extreme disadvantage. Thats the first 5-8 secs' of the shotclock and if nothing there, then we go to offensive set.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2008 6:33 AM | Report abuse

2nd Team. DOM in first to relieve either AB or JM, but he plays 4. NY & James 2. JC at the 1. DSon at the 4. IF AB and JM are both out of the game, then we must always Uptempo. PECH in at the 3; shoot first.i.e.DStev in at 2 shoot first.

You must define specific roles. DSTev is bad cause he is doing to much. PECH can shoot the ball, so thats what he should do. DSon is slow but even worse at center defense. Keep him out the five, but utilize his assets in the 2nd wave offense.

Always push for the first 5-8 secs for easy shot, if not there, go to set.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse

We'll beat your granddaddys and your grandmommas. Lets go back.

Always push for the first 5-8 secs for easy shot, if not there, go to set.

LarryInClintonND.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 23, 2008 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Any chance of bringing back EJ? If not it's time to move on. People should understand and say what you want BUT, Bren was the defensive force, Gilbert create's open looks for everyone. Also, last year we had Roger Mason Jr to fill the void, not formerly Dee Brown. EJ should have been allowed one bad season, theres no point in extending him, to fire him, and still not be productive.

As for the $111,000,000 man, hey I'd ride the pine for $500K per year, he's making that per game. WTF? What's his time line? Late November? Late December? Keeps changing and it's getting past CrAzY.

What about the guard rotation when GA returns, who's the odd man out? We have Gil (who will play), Nick (who needs to play more) Javarious (???) Mike (Good scorer and defender, and good Roger Mason replacement) DeShawn (character but hurt, should be after Nick off the bench), and Juan (who is instant offense). Can't keep and play 6 guards.

Finally, PLAY PESH! If you're not going to play Etan (which is a mistake) dress pesh. If we're loosing, make a change and see what happens, we cretainly can't get any worse.

Posted by: Gooddad | December 23, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Where is Larry Hughes? Not here yet?

Posted by: JoeC2 | December 23, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

1. james 2. caron 3. jamison 4. blatche 5. mcgee
* dom and nick should both approach 30 minutes off the bench and jamison should not play 40 again this season, not once, what's the point of running him ragged for this squad?

Posted by: bford1kb | December 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The simple reason that DSS was still starting is that Roger Mason is playing in San Antonio.

Posted by: bigskells | December 23, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse