TNT's Halftime Report

In case you missed it last night, here's what Charles, Ernie and Kenny had to say about the best teams in the league -- and the first half of last night's debacle against Celtics.

By Alexa Steele  |  December 12, 2008; 9:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celtics 122, Wizards 88
Next: All-Star Streak Over?

Comments

I think I (along with a lot of other Zards fans) have to bite the bullet, especially after watching last nights game. Haywood was the key to this team overperforming last year. Haywood was the only one on this team who played consistent defense and played tough on the boards when given the minutes. And in case you guys don't remember, the key to us beating the Celtics on those back to backs last year was Haywoods defense on Garnett + controlling of the paint combined with Carons out of this world effort.

I hate to say this, but I almost think we need Haywood back more than we do Gilbert.

Posted by: awb9h | December 12, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 12, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

We need both

Posted by: zxhoya | December 12, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

In October, Haywood was expected to be out 6 months, so I agree that there would be no need to bring him back.

With Arenas, however, he supposedly had "touch-up" surgery (as opposed to a reconstruction or other major surgery), so he was set to be out only 2-3 months. If that's the case, I say make the man play, within reason. If the doctors clear him to go, then have him go. I am shocked that it will take 20+ months to recover from his knee injury. I understand he rushed his way back two summers ago, but that was totally his fault, as it was reported that the doctors urged him to take it easy. Had he followed those medical orders, his knee should have been in tip-top shape in Oct 2007, then we would have played the waiting game for him to gain confidence. However, now, we're waiting 20 months just for the initial stages of recover, then comes the year or two that will be required for the mental recovery...

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

i'm all for canning the year. With 62 games left, the wizards would have to win 71% of their games just to reach .500. As of right now, a .500 record would put the wiz in a 3 team fight for the 8 spot. And thats assuming no one else goes on a winning run. The only teams in the league right now winning 70%+ of their games are the Celtics, Lakers, Cleveland, and Orlando. Thats it. We are not in their league or close to one of the 5 best in the nba.

By canning the year, (besides getting a top draft pick), the Zards will be able to give their young guys game minutes needed to develop. I'm not saying stop playing Butler and Jamison, but rather lower their minutes enough to help save their bodies. Also, i would put Stevenson on the IR so he can recover from that pinched nerve issue. This will help the entire roster for next year when we would be, in essence, adding 3 top picks (a veteran scoring guard in Gil, a veteran starting center in Bwood, and whoever we draft) while also having a refreshed Jamison and Butler and a seasoned bench.

I know its a bit early to make this call, but i'm just trying to make the best of the current situation.

Posted by: ThatGuy2 | December 12, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree 100% awb9h! It just funny how some so called "experts" here thinks that Etan is actually better than Brendan.

Posted by: Dave381 | December 12, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Wha??? We have some people here that think Thomas is better than Haywood? Does Eddie Jordan post here regularly??

Posted by: -CN- | December 12, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, there was a time when Etan was more dependable than Haywood. Maybe it was EJ's doing but Haywood just didn't bring the required effort every night. Etan did that, as limited as his skills are. It's just like how people like Popeye Jones used to get playing time back when Doug Collins was the coach.

Of course, last year all that changed. When EJ HAD to play Haywood more and Haywood responded.

Posted by: tundey | December 12, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I am not so sure the Wizards will get an instant-impact player in the draft. Unless we tank it so hard and get so lucky to get the #1 draft pick. As it is, we have a lot of young players. I am not sure adding yet another young player will create a contender.

Posted by: tundey | December 12, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The beauty of getting the number one pick is that we could use it as trade bait to get a quality player rather than another youthful aspiration. I'm so sad that Bwood got hurt...he surprised everyone and was the reason we beat good teams last year....just a sad day for the Wiz kids

GET HEALTHY!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | December 12, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"don't bring Arenas or Haywood back this year. let them get 100% healthy and ready for next year. this year is a waste...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | December 12, 2008 10:07 AM "

I would stick Gilby in the lineup now and see what he can do.

It's time to stop babying his lil boo boo.

Next year isn't guaranteed either. He could do something dumb again this summer like a backflip off his grotto.

So, put that horse to work now!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

As proven in the past and now, Les BouleS can win without Gilby. They can't win without BTH.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I remember a game two years ago Jason Kid told Gilbert that the micro fracture recovery is normally 18-24 months and to chill out. He's set himself back plenty for sure. Maybe he need this time off to be 100 % and I'm talking 100% Agent Zero not Agent "giving me" Zero...with that said we need Haywood,too. McGee is going to take a couple of years...

Posted by: Berndaddy | December 12, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

For the amount of money Gil is getting paid this year, he had better play!

Posted by: boc772000 | December 12, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

People, people, people, facts are facts. This Wiz dillema is simple. They DO NOT, CAN NOT, and WILL NOT defend the 3 ball. It's as clear as day. I read all this hogwash about BTH being the remedy, and that is nonsense. He is garbage, along with Etan, and Javale (who should be solid if he gains 25 lbs in the next year or two, his athleticism and gifts aret hings Etan and BTH do not and never will have).

Back to the subject at hand, when I saw Ray Allen hit 4 open 3's in the 1st quater, I knew it would be long night. Then Eddie House got in on the act, and Paul missed a few wide open ones.

Another problem, (i love Juan Dixon, i really do), but Juan is NOT a PG. I know, I know, we had no other options, but he is a scorer, not a PG. As much as I hate to say it, we really did niss AD and Dee last night.

Now finally, the bottom line: NICK YOUNG NEEDS TO BE STARTING FOR DS, AND GETTING 30-40 MINS PER GAME. DS looked like a D-league player last night on National TV. He is veteran who's been in the league a long time, no excuses. Yeah, we all know Nick is not a good defender, but if DS is supposed our "defensive guy", then it is clearly not working. His D is very overrated. How much worse could Nick do on the defensive side. I mean come on, were giving up 103.5ppg, 2nd worst in the East. Sure NY will not help the defensive issue, but at least he will give us consistent scoring and the ability to create his own shot and penetrate (not to mention highlight reels). ED needs to give him 35mpg minimum for the rest of the year, and I GUARANTEE you all this kid blossoms into a great player by next year. He will get us 17ppg if he gets the mins. DS is averaging 7.9pts in 29.2 mins. NY is averaging 11ppg in 23.4 mpg. Do the math people. We NEED scoring out of our 2-guard spot, it is as clear as day. Very Simple. Come on folks, the season is pratically lost, let NY develop into the All-Star he is capable of being. DS has no hope of ever being an All-Star.

So there you have it, thanks for reading. I hope Tapscott takes notes.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

I too would like to see BH and GA back, but only when healthy.

Tundey, ET has never and I mean never been more dependable than BH. Giving effort in this league don't mean jack when you are constantly out of position and you are constantly playing like heck to make up. EJ thought that was effort, but all it was a no account power forward playing out of position and essentially keeping BH from showing that he really could play given the same opportunity EJ gave ET. Yea, EJ and you must like the effort that ET has flying around floor looking tough, but accomplishing absolutely nothing. Hell, ET's whole career with the Wizs has been as Bad as DSten has been playing this year. At least we know DSten can play better.

Naww Tundey, ET never has been and never will be dependable. Him playing center was like the levys in New Orleans.

Gag me wit a maggot, phewy!, ET has never been able to play center and he ain't no NBA center. You must be an EJ fan.

Yea, I am a BH fan, but ET needs to forfeit his contract for impersonating an a real NBA center like Brendan Haywood is and always was.

LarryInClintonMD

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 12, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

CJ658, facts are facts, but unfortunately, you have your facts intertwined wit' yo' opinions. Pls reread yo' article.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 12, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Larry, I agree with the fact about Etan, but I my post is backed up with a lot of facts.

In general, I made 2 points:

B) NY should be starting and getting 35+ min. Yeah, thats an opinion, but I backed up with stats, and anyone with a lick of common sense can see that NY should be the starter, given talent and the current circumstances surronding the season.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

"A) People saying BTH is the remedy to the problems. That is a joke. if he were playing we may have one 1 or 2 more games at this point. He is not good, and never will be. That my friend, is a fact. He had a mediocre year for a center last year, and all of sudden everyone stops calling him Brenda. LOL, give me a break.

Posted by: cj658 | December 12, 2008 1:25 PM "

Sorry, your entire post is conjecture.

What is a fact is that last season, Les BouleS had a playoff season without Gilby. Les BouleS last season had the same level of success compared to the seasons with Gilby healthy.

This season though, the missing variable is BTH, and the team has tanked since.

Colossus is not a world beater by any stretch, but what he does provide is interior defense and rebounding and leadership, of which the cocaptain of the team, MeTawn, has said himself.

With that solid interior defense, that allowed others on the team to play a little closer to their man without worry that they will get beat off the dribble. BTH did a great job last season against all stars such as KG and DHoward.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 12, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse