Wizards at 76ers

Information on tonight's game from Philly: (Not feeling well tonight folks, think I'm coming down with the flu or something so pardon the brief blog entry)

• The 76ers fired Coach Maurice Cheeks today and replaced him with assistant GM Tony DiLeo.

• Wizards starters: Juan Dixon, DeShawn Stevenson, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, JaVale McGee.

• Inactives: Gilbert Arenas, Brendan Haywood, Oleksiy Pecherov.

• Sixers starters: Elton Brand, Andre Iguodala, Samuel Dalembert, Andre Miller, Willie Green.

• Refs: Sean Corbin, Michael Smith, Mark Ayotte.

• Line: Sixers by 5.5.

• Notables: This is the first of four meetings between the teams this season ... Brand's 15.9 points per game average is the second-lowest scoring average of any team leader in the NBA (Charlotte's Gerald Wallace is putting up 15.3 ppg.) ... The Wizards have had issues with defending the three-point line all season but the Sixers are making just 30.5 percent of their threes as a team. That ranks 28th in the league.

• Assistant Coach Randy Ayers made the trip because the team took a train rather than a flight but he is not yet ready to sit on the bench. Ayers underwent a medical procedure on his neck on Nov. 25 but said he is feeling better and better and expects to return to the bench soon.

• By Ivan Carter  |  December 13, 2008; 5:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jordan to Philly?
    Next: 76ers 104, Wizards 89

Comments

feel better! hope you're still able to enjoy the game a bit.

Posted by: dcgoblue | December 13, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Just to put some facts on the table before the finger-pointing starts again:

1) the Wiz reserves lead the league in scoring per game and they are +136.

2) the Wiz starters are -508, which is the 3rd worse in the league.

Maybe DeS has something to do with this. Or maybe it's the sunspots again.

Posted by: Izman | December 13, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Same old sluggish play by the Wizards early on. At least I know that Juan Dixon cares. But sadly he may be the only one who cares.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Well, watching this team will make you feel ill.

Sheesh. What a mess.

The vets can yell and scream all they want. This team flat out doesn't have enough quality NBA players.

Dixon is a 4th guard on every other team. On this one, he's their No. 1 guard.

McGee would be a team's 3rd center and used to get some experience. On this team, he starts.

Et cetera, et cetera.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 13, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Juan is my favorite Wizard.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Wizards are painful to watch, I don't think I want to waste my time anymore, I'm out.

Posted by: rachel216 | December 13, 2008 8:27 PM | Report abuse

how about those Clippers ohh I'm sorry I meant Wizards

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 13, 2008 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Juan is my favorite Wizard.

Something tells me your list is short.

Anyway, he's a nice backup player and he plays hard; but he can't play big minutes.

He is what he is; a backup.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 13, 2008 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Another stellar effort from the Clippers/Wizards.... Out-rebounded by some crazy margin, opponents shooting uncontested shots from the perimeter, very little playing time for the future players (Nick Young, Crittenton, McGee, etc.). Thats the reason I'm a Wizards fan!!!

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | December 13, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and our studs continue to shoot contested shots from the outside.

Posted by: hamptonpirates89 | December 13, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

It looks like all of the 2nd year and under players are on punishment. I can not believe there could actually be worst substition calling then Eddie J, but I have now seen it.

If Tabscott was going to sub like this we could have keep Jordan. McGee's game and confidence has gone completly with Tabscoot coaching him.

It is very clear now Tabscott has his sights on NY and McGee. I can't understand it. Song. is playing 5 again in the 4th quarter and McGee only has 2 fouls.

Phil and Buck are riding Stevenson's you know what like they are kings of his fan club. I can't take much more of this.

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 13, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Is there anybody out there who still thinks resigning AJ and GA was a good basketball move? I am a big Terp fan but I would take Elton Brand over AJ any day and I hate Duke.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 13, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 13, 2008 9:37 PM

Jamison gets points, but he also takes too many shots to get them.

Posted by: KShark28 | December 13, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Samuel Dalembert 17 rebounds tonight ??
    Where the heck is Jaheedi White when you need him dammit ?

Posted by: dspinx | December 13, 2008 9:59 PM | Report abuse

NY - 4 minutes
    McGee - 8 minutes
    Dmac - 12 minutes

Maybe this is a reflection of what happened in the locker room after the Celtics game. However, Tabscott was already yanking NY and McGee on the regular before this game.

The only thing I am liking about Tabscott is he is giving AB consistent minutes every game 25 to 30 minutes a game.

Not to sure if Ernie G. knew he was going to be getting Eddie "J" the II???

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 13, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Jamison gets points, but he also takes too many shots to get them.

Posted by: KShark28 | December 13, 2008 9:48 PM

Jamison got his 17 points unfortunately the guy he was guarding scored 27

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 13, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

I just heard Tabscott's excuse for McGee not playing. He said he started off slow and they were behind so he had to go with who was getting it done for him.

Things to make you say hmmmmmmm????? So if that is the case, shouldn't Stevenson been sat down games ago if you were going to make statements like that.

I see Stevenson can stink the joint up but he still gives him his minutes. Can somebody say double standard?????

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 13, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

"NY - 4 minutes
    McGee - 8 minutes
    Dmac - 12 minutes

Posted by: BulletsFever"

I wasn't able to watch the game, but is this a joke? That can't possibly be the box score minutes played.

Ivan, can you get an explanation for this, especially considering this is a game where the team was blown out (again)?

How can it be justified to sit your best young players during a game like this?

Posted by: spizzle | December 13, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Actually, McGee played 5:31.

Young 4:12.
    McGuire 11:58

It doesn't make any sense to start McGee and then pull him 5 minutes in the game.

If you're not going to give him some significant PT, have him come off the bench so he won't be matched up against the top opposing center. Let him get some experience against the backups.

I guess they still think they have a shot at the playoffs. Somehow, stay around the #8 spot and hope to get Arenas back for a late push.

They're kidding more than just themselves.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 13, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

That team should be forced to practice in Mystics jerseys until they win at least two in a row.

Posted by: Ted_Striker | December 13, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

This is an outrage!

Etan Thomas didn't even play?

And Jamison and Butler play 40 minutes each?

No. Play Etan 30 minutes. 30 MINUTES. You can never trade him unless you demonstrate that he can still play.

Do NOT play Jamison and Butler 40 minutes a game. They are precious resources not to be squandered this season. You want to get them hurt?

As far as the loss, ho hum. One more step towards the draft lottery -- not that that's a guarantee of anything.

What we need are constructive losses.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | December 13, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Washington Clippers think if they keep getting blown out every game, they will get more ping pong balls in the lottery?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 13, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

4-16. And when will the young guys get minutes without a meat hanger over their heads? 4-20? 5-30? 6-40?

What happened to 8+2 so everybody knows what minutes they are getting?

The players, the coaches, the GM and the owner are stinking up the joint. They are on a "lose now, lose later" game plan.

Posted by: Izman | December 13, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Actually, McGee played 5:31.

Young 4:12.
    McGuire 11:58

They're kidding more than just themselves.

Posted by: SteveMG | December 13, 2008 10:28 PM

Wow SteveMG - It was only 5 minutes and some change? Dang.....

I suggested the same thing a week ago. If Tabscott is going to yank the young boy for THE TEAM starting slow and not just McGee, he mys as well let him come off of the bench.

I have a feeling Tabscott is going to get a visit from two people real soon. Ernie G and McGee's Momma. And guess what, both of them are about 4 to 6 inches taller then Tabscott so he better get his stuff correct with McGee....

Posted by: BulletsFever | December 13, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

So tell me did AJ go in the locker room acting a fool towards the vet's after the game. I hope he can read this and I wish the wizards coach would get the Balls to tell him this. When you AJ start playing some "D" you can act like KG and start getting on people about how they play you score 17 and give up 27 how in the hell are you doing your job. Do me a favor and demand a trade so we can move on. I've never seen a player score 20 and give up 20 a night get mad at everyone else, get a life.

Posted by: pikedawg | December 13, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I watched a small bit of the game, but recorded it, and may or may not watch it in its entirety, but

* Why the heck is ETap bothering to start JaTravel if JaTravel is not going to see serious minutes? Is JaTravel only in there to win the jump ball to start the game? I actually thought JaTravel matches up well against Delambert, who ended up with 17 boards.

* Les BouleS were down before the half and were marching back with AB in the game and he got them to 1 point down. ETap yanks AB after AB gets a charge call, and then the Sixers proceed to go up by about 11 pts. Excellent passing and court awareness by AB.

* MeTawn Jamison....3 FT attempts, 1 made. Couldn't stop EBrand who had 27 pts and 9 boards.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 13, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

pikedawg

Please do not pick on AJ everyone on this site gets sooooooo upset. He is our leader and the best power forward in the league. Without out him we may be 6 - 13?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 13, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

DC_MAN88

AJ is the man I think the Wizards should extend his contract for another 4 years.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 13, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

"DC_MAN88

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 13, 2008 11:50 PM "

Sure, seems like a sound investment....if you're Franklin Raines, a private equity master of the universe, or an exec for one of the automakers that is...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 13, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

how about if you were kal?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 14, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Did not see the game tonight, but from the comments, it sounds like there was no showtime basketball coming from the Wizs.

Lord, Lord, please don't let us see that ETaps is doing as bad a coaching job than EJordan. Pls, pls.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 14, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

What made you think he was going to be a good coach his losing record at american u?

You are the greatest fan this team could have. I hate to be the one to tell you but, they changed their name to the Washington Clippers right after the game.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 14, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

"how about if you were kal?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 14, 2008 12:05 AM "

me no care.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 14, 2008 12:17 AM | Report abuse

It's hard to watch this team!

AD and DB were not great, but they were running the team and things were starting to get a little crisper on the court. Now, it's just chaotic sloppiness!

Sorry, love Dixon's guts, competitiveness, etc...but, he is just not a top guard in the NBA and definitely not a starting point!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 14, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

DC_MAN88

How bad has cheap ABE turned this team into total losers. Nobody will except that it starts at the top and why do you resign AJ and GA when they could not get out of the first round two years ago? You are the only other person on this site that has a clue. Please help me, I need some hope, that this team can become a championship team once the greatest basketball player in the history of the NBA, Gilbert Arenas is healty and can play. Won't he take us to the promise land with his 20 assists a night his 40 points a night, his shut down defense, and the way he makes the other plauers better. Please DC_MAN88 show me the way since I am lost.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 14, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

Brand is averaging just 6.7 points in his past three games since returning and AJ held him to 27, great D AJ!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 14, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

" Please help me, I need some hope, that this team can become a championship team once the greatest basketball player in the history of the NBA, Gilbert Arenas is healty and can play. Won't he take us to the promise land with his 20 assists a night his 40 points a night, his shut down defense, and the way he makes the other plauers better. Please DC_MAN88 show me the way since I am lost.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | December 14, 2008 12:27 AM "

The only way you'll get enjoyment from watching Les BouleS games with this current regime is if you're snorting lines or toking it up during games.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 14, 2008 12:41 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78, I surely would never have thought that anyone could come in and stink up the place as bad as Eddie. But, God I hope that if Etaps is as bad that the Wizards make history and be the first NBA team to fire two head coaches back to back.

Don't see much of the Clippers, but don't they at least try to run the ball?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 14, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

" But, God I hope that if Etaps is as bad that the Wizards make history and be the first NBA team to fire two head coaches back to back.

Don't see much of the Clippers, but don't they at least try to run the ball?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | December 14, 2008 12:47 AM "

Let's not blow this out of proportion.

ETap is only maintaining the fort this season until EG can find another coach during the offseason.

ETap didn't ask for this job, and isn't the long term solution.

This season is done!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | December 14, 2008 12:49 AM | Report abuse

EJ is gone!

Get over it!

He wasn't going to get us anywhere either! The team did respond to Tap and was playing much crisper watchable basketball for a few games. Then, boom, we start all over at the PG position, which most people in here were craving for. "Can't we make a trade...can we get this guy...can we get that guy" - well, we got a first round PG from last year. The problem is now we're left with JD as the starting point guard, which probably makes us the weakest team at the PG position in the league until GA comes back.

Yeah, when you make that move you are basically throwing in the towel for the season. I think that is why you see the body language being so pathetic right now.

Anyway, Tap is doing ok. He is playing Blatche and McGuire more. Songalia is playing much better ball even at the 5 lately. McGee has just dropped off in production. I've seen him make some really stupid plays even in the 5 mins he has been in the game. So, start JD, JaVal, NY, AJ, and CB - play each at least 30 mins a night like a championship caliber team would most of their starters and watch us lose games by embarrassingly bad margins nightly. Have fun!

Posted by: rphilli721 | December 14, 2008 6:32 AM | Report abuse