Another Term for 'Travel'

The Wizards just wrapped up practice here at Verizon Center and will board a flight to Orlando this afternoon. As you would expect, the overall vibe was good following yesterday's thriling win over the Cavaliers and LeBron (LeTravel) James.

On that subject, if you are wondering what a crab dribble is, you are not alone.

"I don't know, but I know what a travel is," Antawn Jamison said.

"Yeah, a crab dribble is when you travel," Caron Butler said. "That's the hottest thing on the market right now. The crab dribble travel."

I've seemingly covered 100 Wiz/Cavs games in recent years and am very familiar with LeBron's megalomania, but even I was shocked that the guy could look at that play and actually believe that what he did was legit. Just amazing. Then again, what do you expect from a guy who stole Kevin Garnett's chalk move and had it turned into a Nike commercial?

-Gilbert Arenas was on the court playing two-on-two again today and that led reporters and television folks to pepper interim coach Ed Tapscott and players with questions about the mysterious one.

I could throw up all of the quotes but it's easier to summarize: No one knows for sure when he's coming back; they do want him to come back as soon as possible; and they'll be better off if he comes back 100 percent this time.

Still no timetable and he has yet to practice, so stay tuned. I can say that he looks pretty good playing two-on-two. I don't see him favoring the left leg in any way, but he's also not going 100 percent full blast. Still, that's a positive sign. I think.

"I'm just like you," Jamison said. "I see Gil as much as you guys do. I guess he's been back there in the bat cave with Alfred working on a few things."

By Ivan Carter  |  January 5, 2009; 1:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MMPG: The FourCast
Next: The Other Side: Orlando Magic

Comments

Kalorama: How's Eddie doing???

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"Then again, what do you expect from a guy who stole Kevin Garnett's chalk move and had it turned into a Nike commercial?"

YESSSSSSS!!!! What a great call! I've been saying this since Lebron started doing it! Kind of like Lebron choosing #23.

At least for all his unoriginality, he has created his own crab dribble travel. By his own admission, it's his signature move.

Posted by: psps23 | January 5, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Didn't KG take it from Jordan who used to dust the bulls announcers before tip off?

Posted by: tha_prophet | January 5, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

The Crab Dribble! I smell a new LeBron Nike commercial!

Posted by: larryn703 | January 5, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Kalorama: How's Eddie doing???
Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 2:09 PM

better than Ed Rasclot... hows your "life" CJ?

Posted by: prescrunk | January 5, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

owned

Posted by: prescrunk | January 5, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Ivan, I've been saying that ish all along! LeTravel is a poser. I bet he got his "crab dribble" idea from watching Patrick Ewing travel all those years and get away with it!

I just hope this is the start of refs actually calling it consistently. LeTravel is so full of himself!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | January 5, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

prescrunk, so I guess you ae kalorama's wife or something?? You jump to his defense before he even replies! I sure hope you are at least a female, because if you are a guy, you're not looking too good right now. I'm sure you would wet your pants if the Wiz signed John Amaechi.

The question is how's you're life? Or should I say lifestyle??

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

And that's so cute how you type "owned" as the only word in your post. Who own's who here??

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

All I did was ask kalorama a simple question. I just want to know how Eddie is doing. All Kalorama had to say was "CJ, I don't know". How hard could that have been. Instead I get bombarded and assaulted by his sidekick prescrunk. WTF is up with that?

As for the game, the refs made sure the Wiz won, based on the travesty on Xmas day. It's pretty simple folks. The NBA (Stern), made sure the Cavs would not lose on national TV to the pathetic Wiz and a day when LBJ was marketing his new shoe. Plain and simple. The refs made it up to the Wiz in a meaningless locally telivised game. The league revolves around LBJ, he is Stern's meal ticket. Get used to it folks. I stopped getting upset in 2006. We all remember that. Since then, the NBA has become a media/marketing circus for LBJ. It's a joke. he truly believe he is "above" all other players.

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

get off Ivan's back he does a good job. sorry he didn't talk S#1t about EJ just bc u didn't like him. hows the coaching change working out for us???

Posted by: prescrunk | January 5, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Man, what I don’t understand is, with the Wiz struggling the way they are, why does Ernie Grunfeld keep on scheduling us to play strong teams. I don’t get it. We have a bad record, yet Ernie keeps on scheduling us to play Boston, Cleveland, etc. Right now, Ernie should be contacting teams like OKC and Sacramento to play games against us next month. I don’t know what Ernie was thinking when he made this schedule.
LISTEN ERNIE: Scheduling tough teams is not a wise move. I am sure that GM's around the league are have been contacting the Wiz about playing since Gil is out for the year. I see that Boston tried to take advantage of this already and I cannot figure out WHY Ernie would agree to play the good teams so much, knowing that the Wizards will be at less than full strength . . . .

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

The chalk move definitely come from MJ. He dusted Red Kerr before each game.

Posted by: jogill | January 5, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

PRESCRUNK: All jokes asisde, is Kalorama Ivan Carter? You told me to "lay off Ivan". That would indicate that Kalorama IS Ivan. Am I missing something folks? Kalorama, if you are indeed Ivan Carter, I never knew it.

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

thanks ivan (and michael earlier) for calling out the fact that the lebron schtick and his crab dribble have become absolutely insufferable.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | January 5, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Despite MeShawn not meeting expectations this season, I have to applaud him for not backing down to LeBron although he wasn't on the court to back it up. It might get uglier before it gets better.

On a side note, I didn't watch yesterday's game, but saw a highlight late in the 4th quarter where Mike James delivered an elbow as he drove by his guy who then in turn flopped, but there was no foul called. I was shocked.

------------------------------------------

"Wizards guard DeShawn Stevenson may have missed facing the Cavaliers with a sore back, but that didn't keep him from heckling LeBron James from the bench. Wearing a colorful velvet jacket and bow tie, Stevenson jawed with James -- whom Stevenson called "overrated" last season -- for most of the night. Asked afterward about their exchanges, Stevenson said: "I don't care. It's whatever. I don't like him. I don't like that dude.""

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 5, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

A NOTE TO CJ658: I know you're not crack'in on my boy EJ. He walked away with 8 million and the satisfaction of knowing he was the best coach the Wizard's have had in twenty plus years and since he's been gone how have they been doing lets see hmmmmm...... oh yeah, first place NOT!! We now have a coach that can't draw up a play without his wet behind the ears underling (Wes Jr.) helping him(blind leading the blind) and a Gm that has ruined the season for wiz fans because he wanted to dictate his own agenda by(overpaying for GA&AJ not resigning Mason no free agent additions,contract extension to a stiff Pechorev)all in order to sabotage the season and fire EJ,well it worked and now we have a shot at he playoff's LOL!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 3:22 PM

You're joking right???

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

EJ didn't necessarily deserve the blame for this year's calamity, but he's been deserving of being let go for a couple of years now. Even when he had a full roster, this team was still pretty middling. There was a lot that he didn't do well. This season wasn't his fault, but I think his firing was a year or two coming. There should be a couple of good options out there after this season ends.

Posted by: CDon | January 5, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dargregmag | January 5, 2009 3:43 PM

Are you serious, haha! EJ the best coach in decades?? Yeah, sure pal. Just look at the Wiz record over the past 2-3 decades, that’s not saying much. All EJ did was get the Wiz to the playoffs 4 straight years, then have an early exit. He was a lousy coach. Need I remind 16 teams make the playoffs in the NBA, that’s OVER HALF the league. Hardly an accomplishment, let alone in the EAST!! Get serious man.

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

You're joking right???

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 3:43 PM

If he's not, it would certainly explain a lot.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Well at least now the NBA knows what to call it when it tells referees to ignore it for "King" James.

Now we know exactly how these guys can be so isolated in their own world that they believe their own hype. Imagine a basketball player not knowing that's travelling. I mean it's the very basics of the game. I wonder if the NBA will now go back and review all LeTravel's crab dribbles from the past.

Posted by: tundey | January 5, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

Any insight as to why Caron is missing SO many free throws this year??

Have you asked him as much, or asked if he's doing anything differently? Concentration maybe?

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 5, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Seriously guys, all I want to know is if Kalo_rama is Ivan Carter. I am being quite serious. I know Tarik replies on the Caps insider, so it really isn't all that far fetched.

And nobody has answered my question as to why Ernie keeps on scheduling the Wiz in tough games. My point is, since he knew Gil was going to be out an extended period, why didn't he give us a softer schedule. It doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

jones-y: why would you ask me if I am joking? I am sure there are plenty of other Wiz fans wondering why Ernie Grunfeld keeps scheduling all the tough teams, with Gil out.

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Some things are so terribly, shamefully sad that it almost takes the fun out of mocking and ridiculing them.

Almost.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

well we are playing the Celtics only 3x as opposed to 4x last year...

Posted by: prescrunk | January 5, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Anyone get a chance to see the replay of LeTravel's infamous 4-step drive and bucket in Game 4 of the 2006 playoff series on Sports Center this morning? Scott Van Pelt who was hosting remarked that it looked worse than the travel that was called at the end of yesterday's game. The fates of both teams may have been drastically different if the Wiz had won Game 4 and the series back in 2006 (which Caron remarked about after the game).

The Cavs have held a curse over the Wiz and LeBron has consistently gotten bogus calls like in the Christmas day game when the refs stole the game from the Wizards. David Stern couldn't stand the thought of the Wiz beating LeBron's team on national TV and had the refs do all the could to give the Cavs the game.

I can't stand LeBron's antics (whining, his coach running on the floor, etc.) and he can't touch Kobe as an all-around player. He's not even the clutch player that Pierce Pierce is for Boston. He'll walk in 2010 to play for more money in N.Y. as the Cavs window closes on an aging team.

As for the Wiz, I see brighter times ahead with a return of a healthy Agent Zero, a high lottery pick, and BTH back at center next year. No reason this team can't win 50 games with Agent Zero and BTH back healthy and a top 5 draft pick...Blake Griffin would look awfully good in a Wizards uniform.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 5, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The last thing the Wiz need to do is whine about how they got robbed in the playoffs against the Cavs. Blaming the refs, rightly or wrongly, is a loser's lament.

Had the travel not been called in last night's game and the Cavs won, the Grunfeld should have fined any player who whined about the travel not being called. The very fact that the game was in a position where it could be decided by such a call is a result of the Wizards' 4th quarter ineptitude. You don't want the refs to decide the game? Then don't choke away a 16 point lead in the 4th quarter.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

cj658 I am going to be nice about this, but expect to get seriously flamed for you question about scheduling.

the league does the scheduling. EG has absolutely no bearing on what teams we play. you play every team in the NBA at least once. And then I believe every team i your conference twice. And then every team in your division four times. I think that is the break down.

Posted by: jonnyflo14 | January 5, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, the thought of that playoff game gives me deutsche chills. Everyone sweats this guy, but I'm beginning to hate him and the Cavs more than the Cowboys...maybe

GO WIZ!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | January 5, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm seriously puzzled about the Gilbert Arenas situation...either they're lying or it's horrible reporting.

What does it mean when everyone claims that 'nobody knows when hes going to come back'? Someone obviously knows....it has to be a combination of Gilbert, EG, Tap, and Doctors/Trainer making the decision.

They obviously each have some idea on how the knee is doing...is it sore, is it healthy, is it strong, how good does he feel now compared to the surgery? I think someone needs to ask these questions of all the guys I mentioned and then we'll have an educated idea of how close the guy is to coming back.

It just makes no sense to me when everyone throws their hands up and claims to not know when he's coming back.

Posted by: insanity999 | January 5, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

A lousy coach!! WHATEVER... where were the Bullets/Wizards before EJ took over no playoffs,laughing stock of the league mismash lineup of D-league players,if you thought you knew NBA basketball, you blew it with that statement who turned Gilbert into an all star? who got Caron's game turned around? not to mention he got them to the playoffs two years in a row without Gilbert! CJ658 lets see where Etaps gets them i only wish BTH was playing then it would be a fair evaluation......well not really because Tapscott isn't really qualified to coach anywhere except maybe Howard Univ. yeah that's the ticket then he and his boy(Wes jr.)can start their due diligence in the MEAC where they belong.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 5, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

insanity999,

I think the people who need to know the status of Gil's knee, his progress, and his timetable, know. To think that the fact that us fans are (purposely) in the dark is an indication that no one really knows is a bit naive.

dargregmag,

EJ is a good coach, with a few glaring weaknesses, first and foremost his inclination to play mind games, and thus not coax the highest productivity from the players who are subject of said mind games (Exibit a: Brendan Haywood, Exibit b: Andray Blatche).

EJ did not turn Gil into an All Star. Any sane coach would've gave the green light to the player who was, far and away, their best player. Gil had the green light to totally ignore EJ's offensive sets any time he wished, because of the the fact that when he did, it was more often successful than not.

Caron's career didn't need any 'turning around'. Not quite sure where you're getting that idea from...

The brightest spot on EJ's resume was what he did getting last year's roster to the playoffs. He did a great job last year.

This year, BTH got hurt, and EJ immediately starts the mind games with his direct replacement, AB, giving practically all his minutes to a raw rookie, calling him out in the media, and so on. That's what got him fired, IMO. If he'd done whatever he had to do to get max productivity out of AB from game 1, he'd still have a job, and the wiz record would be somewhat better than it is now (maybe 4-6 more wins, and in the race for the 8th playoff seed). As it stands, we're 7.5 games out of the 8 spot.

IMO EG has done a very good (not great but very solid) job as our GM. He's the one who is better than every guy before him in the last 2 decades.

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Dargregmag: Man, so I gues you are one of the people who think simply “making” the playoffs is an accomplishment. You think EJ turned Gil into an All-Star LOL!! EJ simply gives the Gil the green light whenever he wants, and preaches no defense. No other coach in the league (of a successful team), would let Gil do play like he is in a rec game. Gil ran all over EJ, and showed how soft he is. He comes back from his injury against the Bucks and EJ didn’t even know until right before tip-off. How about when EJ starts preaching defense and Gil CALLS OUT his coaching? Or how about when Gil just decides to “shut it down” right before a tip off of a critical playoff game? Could you imagine him doing that to Phil, Popp, or Pat Riley? NO! EJ is a lousy coach who had NO control over his star player. Where else could Antawn Jamison go and jack up ill-advised shots, play no Defense at all, and still be named team captain. A Captain is a leader who leads by example, clearly all the Wizards follow AJ’s defensive examples, he is the “captain” after all!

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

And stop raggin on HU! We all understand my alma mater has a bad athletic dept. And we also understand that it is as much the fault of economics as anything else.

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

The fact that the Wiz are 8 games out of the number 8 spot doesn't tell you anything unless you also take into account that there are also 7 other teams between them and the 8th spot and that the one with the worst record has already won almost twice as many games as the Wizards.

Barring a sudden double digit winning streak or a total collapse by pretty much every team ahead of them, there's no realistic scenario where the Wiz make the playoffs.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

EJ is a lousy coach who had NO control over his star player.

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 4:55 PM

There are several very successful coaches who give their star player the green light. Phil Jackson has built a HOF career on that strategy.

There are very few coaches who have complete control over their top player. I can only think of two, Sloan and Popovich. Everywhere else, the inmates run the asylum.

Utah is interesting, because the coach is so much the face of the organization that there is a college basketball type of feel to them. Only there do their scouts judge players first on their ability to play within Sloan's system.

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

kalo_rama,

I agree totally, I'm just saying...

This year, the Eastern conference is extremely top-heavy, which means that the 7 and 8 seeds will more than likely have losing records (between 35-40 wins). Which ultimately means that the wiz will have to go 30-20 over their last 50 games to have a chance. Now, this scenario is not likely by any stretch of the imagination, but hey, Bron got called for a travel this year, so anything is possible!

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Guys, I gotta tell ya:

All this stuff I say (see quote above about scheduling) is just to yank your chains. See, fact is, I'm a loser with no friends and this makes me feel better, so please, give me attention when I make these stupid posts, as it does wonders for helping me get through my empty days. Thanks.

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

But seriously, someone needs to add a little "spice" to this blog. You have guys like Kalorama (who I am CONVINCED is Ivan), and dargregmag. Come on. But now all I want to know is if Kalorama is Ivan.

Jones-Y: Good point about Phil. Although Phil has always had more than 1 star player, and they ALL played defense (See Kobe, Shaq, Scottie, MJ). Gil is in a world of his own, and doesn't understand what Defense is. Nor does AJ. When EJ tried to preach Defense, Gil called him out. EJ was probably a good guy, but as long as he was coach, this team was not getting anywhere near the Eastern Conference finals.

Posted by: cj658 | January 5, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Cj good point about defense, but remember that it took Jordan several years before he started to play D. Gil is what, 27? Mike was at least that age before he started taking D seriously.

If Gil is a fan of the game, his competitive drive will force him to start to play D at some point in his career. He has the skills, all he needs is the determination. All he needs is for someone to help him understand that the difference between a champion and a contender; the difference between a good player and a great one; is defense.

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

The Eastern conference has been top heavy for years. If anything, the number of legitimately good teams is actually higher this year than it has been at any time in the last several.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll just say this was Caron an all star before he got to the Wiz? NO! Caron was a first team all american at UCONN but he didn't mature into the player that he is today until he came to the wizards(under EJ,not with Phil Jackson or Pat Riley no less and he was traded for Kwame Brown! yes Gilbert was a good player but not an all star and as far as his diva like actions that's as much a function of the GM not stepping in and backing up the coach as with any orginazation it starts at the top and if you read the WAPO magazine article about Gil's childhood, drug addicted mom, living in a car with his father, then you should know why Gil act's the way he does. EJ tried to treat his players like men but obviously certain players couldn't stand prosperity.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 5, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

That's why DSteve was such a huge part of last year's run (but the 250 consecutive games beat him up, and now his body needs some time to recuperate).

That's why a quickly developing McGuire has helped to stabilize this team (we're 3-4 since he assumed the starting role). That and AB and NY's improved play.

And by the way, for everyone clamoring to see the youngins play. AB, NY and DM have been getting consistent minutes most of the season, and you're still complaining?

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2009 5:32 PM

The East was top heavy almost by default. The teams were so bad, that you basically had 1 or 2 fifty win teams almost by default...

Contrast that to this year where you have three teams playing .750 or better ball near the midpoint of the season!

The next group of teams ATL, Detroit, and Miami, are all solid teams with some holes.

I personally think that the power shift back to the east has as much to do with the aging powers in the west as it does with the teams in the East getting stronger.

I think the biggest shift, besides the aging of Phoenix, San Antonio, and Dallas, has been due to the development of the youngsters (Dwight Howard, Iguodala, Joe Johnson, Devin Harris, etc) that the east has gotten over the past 7-8 years where they dominated the draft lotteries.

The west is still much stronger IMO. Portland, at 20-14 is in the 8 seed right now. Contract that to the East where its Milwaukee at 16-19. I don't think Milwaukee is even in the picture out west...

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

This isn't a great look the play, but it sure looked like he took three steps after picking up his dribble.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | January 5, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 5:26 PM

A guy like Gil will never play D. He doesn't even want to be a team player

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 5, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

"A guy like Gil will never play D. He doesn't even want to be a team player"

Sadly, I agree with this statement. :(

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 5, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

"AJ, on the other hand, does not have the toolset to be a defensive stopper. CB is marginal at best on D, but could be better with more effort.

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 5:34 PM "

Caron may not be all world Kobe/MJ/Scottie Pippen/Rodman defensive stopper, but he leaves it all on the court and is tough enough to step up to anyone. MeTawn, on the other hand, avoids contact as much as possible and early this season, almost blew his knee trying to guard Dirk Nowitzki.

If Caron is tough enough to step up to people like KG and earn respect from guys like Shaq, then you know, as they say "my bills is straight."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 5, 2009 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Free T-Shirt -- Fire Ernie

email erniegone@hotmail.com with address to mail shirt to.

Posted by: erniegone | January 5, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I guess you want Wes Unseld back.

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Here's video of the Crab Dribble. And also of the play in the 2006 playoffs that Caron referenced in his postgame last night.

Posted by: jones-y | January 5, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Free T-Shirt -- Fire Ernie

email erniegone@hotmail.com with address to mail shirt to.

Posted by: erniegone | January 5, 2009 9:02 PM

When you make one that says fire CHEAP ABE then I want one. I believe EJ hands were tied when it came to the Roger Mason deal and it was ABE who wanted AJ and Gil back.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 5, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I gots me some crab dribble last night.

Posted by: mohammed10 | January 5, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

"I gots me some crab dribble last night.

Posted by: mohammed10 | January 5, 2009 10:02 PM "

Sounds fishy smelling.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 5, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, I got something for you. I posted that the Wizs still had a huge change to make the playoffs this year.

Check this response I got from Kalo_Rama:

The only chance the Wizards have to make the playoffs is if Arenas returns, soon, and plays close to his old form right away. And even that's a longshot. Otherwise, they're cooked. ...

Anyone who can actually say with a straight face that they have a "huge chance" to make the playoffs as currently constructed needs to enter a 12-step kool-aid program, because they've been drinking the strong stuff.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 5, 2009 1:36 AM

I know the players haven't given up on this season, so this might be, shall we say, some fuel for the fire.

Even to this point in the season I still have faith in the Wizards. But someone as mighty as Kalo_rama, you might think would have a little bit mo' faith than he does.

Ivan, I'm begging ya' Post it to the locker room board. Those comments are worth at least ten games.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 5, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Who says the Wizs can't win ten straight?

Kalo_rama

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 6, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

"Who says the Wizs can't win ten straight?"

Anyone who's watched them play, looks at the standings, or knows anything about basketball. Ten game winning streaks are hard to come by even for good teams. The Wizards are not a good team. Sorry if my adherence to reality is causing spillage from your eternally half-full glass. Perhaps you should invest in a coaster, because my bet is that there's going to be more messes to clean up before the season is over.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 6, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

What a pity that we have a down year when the draft is weak... Unlike the Heat, we have no hope of picking up a Michael Beasley at #2 (or even a Mario Chalmers with a high second round pick)... The weakness of the draft class, the continuing saga of when will (or should) Gil return, and the fact that even at 7-25 this team is (however slightly) still within sight of qualifying for the playoffs, are factors that hang over the Wiz like the sword of Damocles.

My advice: Just forget this stuff and keep playing ball and scouting players for the draft.

Really, at this point, there is nothing else to do but play 'em one game at a time, play to win but also to test different combinations of payers and not to overtax AJ and CB.

Last Sunday's game reminded me why I continue to support the Wizards after four decades... it is great fun when they win against all odds. With any luck at all we will see our share of those wins the rest of this season, and that should be enough to keep us going until next season when greater hopes will rise again.

Posted by: khrabb | January 6, 2009 7:17 AM | Report abuse

"I gots me some crab dribble last night"

Eww, sounds nasty to me. You might wanna give that back to whomever you got it from! ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 6, 2009 7:57 AM | Report abuse

Not much more than what Ivan's been saying...

Posted by: lindaloulubbock | January 6, 2009 8:14 AM | Report abuse

"Ivan, I know you know who Kalo_rama is and probably some of the Wizard players do too.

Do you suppose that you might could surreptiously post Rama's lack of faith in them dar' Wizards on their bulletin board."

---
LarryInClintonMD.

Larry, come on, to suggest kalorama is in any way, shape, or form related to the Wizards is nonsense. He is simply an internet blogger, just like you and me. We are all just fans who enjoy debating about the team. The Wiz could give a rat's a$$ what kalorama (or any of us for that matter) think. And I highly doubt Ivan reads these comments, as he has never responded to any of them. Kalo_rama is no different than any one of us. No person related to the Wizards would be typing on a blog about the team. He is just some guy who likes to remain a mystery and keep us guessing, by suggesting he is related to the team, that just pumped his head all up.

Posted by: cj658 | January 6, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

"Sorry if my adherence to reality is causing spillage from your eternally half-full glass."

-Kalo_rama

Sounds like your glass is half empty, my friend.

Posted by: cj658 | January 6, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

If the Wiz qualify for and win the ping pong ball extravaganza they can draft Blake Griffin maybe they can trade him to the Thunder for Kevin Durant and throw in Pechorev for good measure.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 6, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Up here in the mountains we've never seen any Crab Dribble, but I'm thinking it probably smells a lot like Skunk Dew...

And LeBron's chalk thing, didn't Juwan Howard do that way back when he was a young Bullet? I mean it's like a nineties thing just like parachute pants. Which I think Pecherov still wears.

Posted by: flohrtv | January 6, 2009 10:06 AM | Report abuse

There've been some pretty interesting posts here lately.

I don't get why ppl are saying Gil is not a team player. How is it that the same thing isn't said about AJ and CB? They play less defense than Gil did. I think folks confuse the Gil persona with Gil the basketball player. Agent Zero is the guy who says and does things to make himself marketable. Gil is a supremely talented basketball player who did (when healthy) what he does best. He got buckets and in the process made his teammates better.

Gil hasn't really played in any system here besides the one that had everyone here playing no defense. He hasn't really had a chance to prove that he'll buy into Ayers' system. I know this is old now but if you looked at the Olympic tryouts, you saw a guy willing to subjugate his game for the betterment of the team. I think that's the guy that we'll see when he comes back.

Also, with over 100 million on the line, it would be foolhardy to play Gil at anything less than 100%. I I were Wiz management, I wouldn't even let him back at 100% until he was in playing shape at his old playing weight. There's absolutely no need to rush him back even if we were in the thick of a playoff hunt. last year against Cleveland, Gil came back and was not only less than healthy but he was overweight. I'm sure that didn't help his knee out at all.

Let's do this right and wait it out. Also, why can't we give Gil the benefit of the doubt and see if he buys into playing defense? Remember, it wasn't the opposing pg position that was killing us back in the day. It was C and SG where we were getting killed.

Posted by: original_mark | January 6, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The Wiz have finally found the formula for winning but we just need to tweak it. A 10 game winning streak is highly unlikely but is definitely possible. We just need two all stars to play at a high level for 10 games and we have a shot. As long as McGuire and AB can step up and rebound/defend respectably, we definitely are capable. I'd bet against it because of Taps insistence on using Songaila for extended minutes. Etan is a much better option at C as a backup than Song. Etan is even better than JM at this point although I'd prefer to give JM the minutes even if it costs us a little. James has solidified the pg position for us a bit and Crittenton is already a solid backup.(and he plays defense! imagine that. I haven't seen a pg here fight to get around screens since Darrell Walker.)

Posted by: original_mark | January 6, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Tarik posts under his own name on the Caps blog. Even when he is replying to someone.

Posted by: larryn703 | January 6, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

The season's almost half over and they've won 7 games total, three in a row not at all and two in a row only once. A 10 game winning streak is about as likely as Paris Hilton getting a double masters in astrophysics and chemical engineering.

And there is no "formula" to winning, at least not one that hasn't been well-known for decades: take good shots, play defense, don't turn the ball over, minimize mistakes. The Wizards weren't even able to do that in the last game they actually won. So the idea that they'd be able to do it well enough to sustain a long-winning streak goes beyond fannish over-optimism.

Doesn't matter why, the simple reality is that in pro sports, teams are rarely if ever better than their record. The Wizards are the worst team in the conference for a reason. Without a major, sudden infusion of tide-turning talent, it's wildly unrealistic to expect that to change significantly between now and the end of the season. Not to say they couldn't improve, but in this case "improvement" would be marked by going from dreadful to just bad.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 6, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"Doesn't matter why, the simple reality is that in pro sports, teams are rarely if ever better than their record" - POSTED BY KALO_RAMA.

Man, once again you prove your general lack of knowledge for all things sports-related. That quote is nonsense. A teams record only SOMETIMES justifies how good they are as a team. Fact is, come crunch time, any team can beat any team. Records are thrown out the window. Just look at the Chargers-Colts game on Sunday. Are the Chargers merely a .500 team that snuck in to the playoffs? Well if they are as good as their record, they just beat a 12-4 Colts team. PS—Stop imitating Bill Parcells.

Posted by: cj658 | January 6, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I think I remember Ivan saying that since someone was impersonating him he wasn't commenting anymore. Maybe that can change now, since the upgrade?

Posted by: patrick15 | January 6, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I love seeing Ivan Carter talk about someone else's "megalomania" without a hint of irony. Hilarious. Ivan, you're got a pretty healthy ego, in case you haven't ever watched yourself on Washington Post Live.

By the way, as much as I despise LeBron James, it is simply indisputable if you watch the play in slow motion the guy only took 2 steps. However, I do love that he was called for a travel to help make up for the hundreds of other times he has gotten away with actual travels.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 6, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards are lottery bound, but I still think they have to bring Gilbert back, sooner rather than later, to play limited minutes alongside the younger players. It isn't about winning at this point, it's about not creating a losing ethic on a team that has yet to find its identity. The most dangerous thing the Wizards can do is allow their team to continue to suck, and suck badly, and come to expect little more from themselves (see: OK City Thunder). They're playing for next season now, in more ways than one.

Posted by: satchmore | January 6, 2009 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Jalen Rose'a take on LeBron James' "Crab Dribble": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpQBD672HkQ

Posted by: sagaliba | January 7, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse