Crittenton Gets Some Run

One bright spot to last night's 99-93 home loss to Toronto was the play of second-year point guard Javaris Crittenton, who saw his first real extended action in a competitive game since coming the Wizards in a trade on Dec. 10.

In just under 27 minutes, Crittenton put up three points, six assists and three rebounds with no turnovers. Coming into the game he had more turnovers as a Wizard (9) than assists (6) but last night, he really looked comfortable. He picked his spots for pushing the ball in transition (something he obviously wants to do), moved it and generally looked sharp. Crittenton and Darius Songaila were the only Wizards with positive plus/minus ratios last night.

"The young fella I thought grew up some tonight," interim coach Ed Tapscott said. "He's a young player playing a very difficult position and he's playing for a point guard; so, I told him he's not going to have easy nights and easy practices. He's going to have to get used to every decision getting analyzed and examined, but I thought he played with energy, guarded well and I thought some of our better moments were with him in the game."

By Ivan Carter |  January 8, 2009; 8:53 AM ET
Previous: Raptors 99, Wizards 93 | Next: McGee Sits

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Crittendon was the one bright spot. He really looked to move the ball and get his teammates good looks, something the Wiz haven't had many of lately.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 8, 2009 9:11 AM

Poor MeShawn was reported to have had an epidural to treat his bad back.

I wonder if he had to show up at the maternity ward to get that.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 8, 2009 9:17 AM

"Poor MeShawn was reported to have had an epidural to treat his bad back."

I've had those for a herniated disk, they are not fun. I feel bad for the guy and if this went back to before the season then he really should have had surgery, which I am going to bet that he will have in the near future.

Those shots are just a temporary thing, they won't make the disk stop bulging. One of the most painful things I ever had. Same thing that shleved Songaila when he was first signed here.

Nice to see Crits play last night. As Mike Lee said in the post game, too bad the Wiz didn't even attempt to stop Toronto's 3 point shot even though everyone knew it was coming.

Taps isn't going to be the coach next year, but he should be teaching them to play defense NOW and I don't really see that. I have not been impressed with him at all.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 8, 2009 9:30 AM

I remeber Crttenton at Wake Forest, he used to kill the Terps.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 9:35 AM

Let’s see if ETaps keeps it up. By the all-star game the Wizards should be eliminated from the playoffs so there will be no reason not to play the young guys and limit AJ and CB to 30 mins a game. If the team fired EJ and gave ETaps the responsibility to develop the young guys then do it. If they can make a trade before the trade deadline and get rid of some players (very unlikely any team would want them) who are not a part of the future, then do that also.

Ivan when does next years training camp start?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 8, 2009 9:41 AM

with coaches reactionary way of coaching i imagine Crit will be starting in the next few days and someone else will be totally forgotten and DNP'd instead.

Posted by: riskus | January 8, 2009 9:48 AM

Note to cj658: Hey dude Critt played at GEO.TECH!!

Posted by: dargregmag | January 8, 2009 9:48 AM

Why won't Tap let McGee "grow up?" That entire comment is just as relevant for Javale, who can't see the light of day anymore.

Posted by: keithward64 | January 8, 2009 9:51 AM

remember when Javale had his first decent game and EJ was imploring the crowd to get up and cheer for his as he subbed him out?

Posted by: riskus | January 8, 2009 9:55 AM

I remeber Crttenton at Wake Forest, he used to kill the Terps.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 9:35 AM

He went to tech CircleJerk.

Posted by: prescrunk | January 8, 2009 10:09 AM

That is obserd. That is just like a CEO of a company being out sick for an extended period, then when he is healthy enough to return, he chooses not to because the economy is bad and his company is struggling. The CEO just decides to wait until the economy shapes up before he returns to work (even though he is healthy enough to return). Gil’s situation is no different...
Posted by: cj658 | January 7, 2009 8:52 AM

Speaking of one-sided, boneheaded comments... lmfao. Actually CircleJerk, Gil's situation is quite different, considering he is an ATHLETE, not a hypothetical CEO, who has to fully recuperate from SURGERY before he can play. Also considering Gilbert would probably be on the court right now tryin' to drop 50 ppg if he had been cleared. The only right you have is to NOT buy season tickets or memorabilia. And those of us who chose buy a ticket plan did it so they could see the Washington Wizards and NBA basketball, not an injury-plagued, showboating point guard.You spelled "is" wrong.

larryinclintonmaryland

Posted by: prescrunk | January 8, 2009 10:13 AM

Oh, my bad. I thought he went to Wake. You're right he did go to GA Tech, I just don't remember him playing in the SEC. I could of sworn he played in the ACC, which is why I thought Wake.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 10:14 AM

Alright, enough of the fun and games and jokes this morning. Play time is over.

So prescrunk, how was breakfast this morning? Eggs and bacon, with a tall nourishing glass of Klao_rama?

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 10:24 AM

Circlejerk?? How outlandishly clever and creative. I am so offended.

Next time you call me that I am going to tell my teacher on you, “butthead”.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 10:25 AM

Prescrunk, you have successfully failed in understanding the premise of my argument regarding agent hero. You say, and I quote, “considering he is an ATHLETE, not a hypothetical CEO, who has to fully recuperate from SURGERY before he can play”.

First of all, I was making my point regarding the “hypothetical CEO”, in light of the fact that some people tend to think that Gil should just remain on the shelf for the rest of the season, even though he will be healthy enough to play. The whole point I was making was in response to the argument of Gil not playing, EVEN THOUGH HE COULD, because the season is “lost. Read my argument again, I am not talking about Gil “coming back before he has recovered from surgery”, which based on your response, is what you believed I was saying. Think before you speak, and do us ALL a favor and think for yourself for a change. To quote Deshawn, “Be your own man”. Seriously, your coat-riding is getting rather lame.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 10:33 AM

Another note to CJ: GT is part of the ACC

Posted by: sexypills03 | January 8, 2009 10:39 AM

My Wiz rep called me and offered up some pretty good seats. Too bad the price didn't improve much. I'm tempted to bite but do I really want front row seats to see Songaila play? Negative.

Hey, Wiz management.... You're losing money here. I'm sure folks would rather go see young promising players lose a game by 12 than old veterans lose them by 6. Give me some glimmers of hope. Tell Tap to play JM. Granted, AB was not rebounding well at all last night. He still should have been in the game more than 20-something minutes.

Posted by: original_mark | January 8, 2009 10:39 AM

But what do I know?? Afterall, I think that EG makes the Wiz schedule as the season goes along. I also think that he contacts like other GM’s with requests to play their respective teams. From what I hear, he was on the phone with Kupchack last night trying to schedule a big “4th OF JULY” game at the Verizon Center between the Wiz and Lakers. Gil should be back July right? As an added bonus, there will be a HUGE fireworks display after the game in the Verizon center. The Wiz will be wearing there “red, white, and blue” throw-backs, to commemorate our nation’s independence.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 10:41 AM

Another note to CJ: GT is part of the ACC

Posted by: sexypills03 | January 8, 2009 10:39 AM

No?? You're kidding!!!

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 10:42 AM

You're right he did go to GA Tech, I just don't remember him playing in the SEC. I could of sworn he played in the ACC...

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 10:14 AM

Posted by: prescrunk | January 8, 2009 10:49 AM

He's a talented young guy. Looks like Tapscott has decided to play the young guys in situations where the team has fallen behind early. That's not a bad strategy -- there's no pressure.

I'm thinking the anatomy of the Wiz' problem is getting clearer: they've got some very adept veterans, a number of promising kids, but not much in the middle ground -- healthy supporting players who are in the prime of their careers.

Posted by: Samson151 | January 8, 2009 10:49 AM

Original_Mark, I couldn’t agree with you more.

How the #&^% is Javale supposed to get better by going up against the likes of AB, Song, and “the poet”? According to kalo_rama, and his trusty sidekick (who I am quite sure agrees with him), Javale will “hone” his skills in practice against the talented big men of the Washington Wizards.

Players get better by going up against the best. It is plain and simple. It’s not like we are battling for “home-court” in the 1st round, so if Javale gets cooked by Bosh, so be it. I guarantee he will learn three times as much from guarding Bosh in 30 mins of play, then he would learn from guarding Song and AB in 5 months of practice.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 10:55 AM

That problem's been clear to me for a while, Samson51. I've been saying for a couple of years that they needed a reliable vet scorer off the bench.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 8, 2009 10:56 AM

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 8, 2009 10:56 AM

They don’t exactly grow on trees.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 11:11 AM

Would be nice if Mike James was that guy. Crittenten would be the starter. Only problem is we'd be scoring 70 points per game.

Posted by: original_mark | January 8, 2009 11:20 AM

prescrunk. What, I don't get. Those comments you put my blog name on are not mines.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 8, 2009 11:24 AM

Key word there is 'reliable', I guess.

MJ can score and the problem is that he's being asked to run an offense. Maybe experimenting with him coming off the bench and starting Critt is the answer. If we do that, we can't go with McGuire. You can't have 2 non-scorers starting. Critt reminds me of a younger, faster AD without the jumper. AD could hit the occasional open shot but Javaris doesn't seem to have his offense together, yet.

Posted by: original_mark | January 8, 2009 11:24 AM

Dunno, Mark. AD never really developed a reliable J. At least Crit can get by his man on the way to the hoop.

Posted by: keithward64 | January 8, 2009 11:29 AM

Sorry, that reliable vet scorer is now in San Antonio. I know it sound crazy but when BTH comes back AB should start at 4 and AJ will be the vet coming off the bench.

Posted by: Dave381 | January 8, 2009 11:32 AM

From what Bucky said yesterday, it sounds like even though BTH had his pins removed from his wrist yesterday, he's going to rehab and chill for the rest of the season.

BTH is in no rush to return.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 8, 2009 11:32 AM

Larry: Prescrunk is an a$$ hole. He simply stands in Kalo_rama's shadow. He is singning your name in an attempt to mock you. He is an idiot.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 11:32 AM

I am not surprised by JC's play. But for how long? Probably, as long as he plays the half court set that Taps wants.

If he naturally inclines to push away from the half court set to UpTemPo, which is his strength, Taps will pull him back to the Bench.

Anybody wonder why Juan can't get consistent minutes along with NY? They are natural fast players.

ETaps does not want to play fast. Don't know why. This Team is a fast car. It's got 5 Gears. Etaps wants to use only Three.

What he's saving the other Two for is a mystery, or... Is it incompetence?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 8, 2009 11:41 AM

Crittenton's ability to penetrate is a good thing. The problem is that without a jumpshot (and he doesn't have one) it'll be pretty easy for a good defensive team to take him out of the equation. Just pack the lane, cut off his driving avenues, and force him to beat you from the outside.

Although I have to admit that James brings more to the party than I was expecting, they'll need more than him for points off the bench in the long haul. It's no coincidence that since leaving Detroit (where he was more of a defensive oriented player) he tends to get more run and bigger production playing on bad teams. He's a guy who thrives when he's got the green light to let it fly. He's proven to not be as productive in a more structured situation on a good team.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 8, 2009 11:47 AM

i wouldnt be surprised to see mike james get traded again. With the way he has been playing it may be tempting for a team making a run to inquire about his services.

Posted by: riskus | January 8, 2009 11:52 AM

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 8, 2009 11:47 AM

Same can be said for 95% of the other players in the NBA. Who wouldn't have better #'s when they are in a non-structured system, and when they can just shoot as they please. Come on, think about it.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 11:55 AM

Crittenton is definitely an upgrade to Dee Brown. Brown's only weapon is speed. While JC is also good defensively.

MJ/JC trade looks like a steal for the Wiz. Another score from EG. Now if he can work out a miracle and trade Etan also.

Posted by: Dave381 | January 8, 2009 11:58 AM

Agreed about Crit's jumper, Kal. Hopefully he'll work hard to develop a J that has to be at least respected a little.

But we desperately need a penetrator on this team, even if he can't shoot. Drawing defenders is something none of our players can do right now.

Posted by: keithward64 | January 8, 2009 12:03 PM

riskus, whatever trade interest there might be in james(and I doubt there's much) will be more about his contract (which expires after next season) than his play. Even if someone wanted him, they're not likely to give up anything of much value for him.

Aside from Detroit, where he wasn't a scorer and was still fighting to try and make a name for himself in the NBA, he's ended up playing himself out of favor on every decent team he's been on. The book on him is pretty wide open around the league, at this point. He's a guy who'll put up lots of numbers when he's given free rein, but isn't especially productive when asked to play a team role.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 8, 2009 12:07 PM

if thats the case do you see him being resigned here?

Posted by: riskus | January 8, 2009 12:10 PM

I don't think Tapscott has a clue as to what he is doing. As much as it pains me to say this this team sucks and I don't like that James guy or whatever his name is. All he wants to do is jack up shots. I suppose he is trying to show other teams what he can do in the event he doesn't remain a Wizard. I can't seem to grasp why they keep jacking up shots instead of trying to get easy baskets. That is why they broke the record for no points the other night. Poor shot selection and just plain out sloppy play. They are still my team but this year is a total loss as far as I am concerned.

Posted by: ivyleague | January 8, 2009 12:11 PM

Kalo_rama: I see you are trying your best to completely ignore me. Please respond. I starve for the attention. Although, I must commend your efforts of being the “bigger, better” man. If only I could exercise such restraint. I try, but inevitably, my young immature traits kick in. I admire your maturity, and principles. You are not stooping to my “sub-par” level, and that says a lot about your overall character.

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 12:11 PM

Kidd's jumpshot was very irregular, the thing that distinguished him from others was his ability to find the right open teammate to lead to points. (Along with his uncanny ability to to rebound, etc...)

By no means am I comparing Crittenton to Kidd, but what the key will be if teams are clogging the lane, Crittenton will need to find the open guy. This will help him become all the team needs to him be, a pure PG that runs the team well and plays solid D...

Posted by: -CN- | January 8, 2009 12:15 PM

riskus, given the uncertainty surrounding the Wizard's PG situation going forward, with Arenas' medical issues and Crittenton's ongoing growing pains, I can certainly see the Wiz holding onto James going into next year. But given his history and the fact that he'll be a couple of months shy of 35 when his contract expires in 2010, I doubt they'll make any effort to keep him after that. They'll either try to unload him in a contract dump trade at the midseason deadline or, if he's playing well (or no one wants him), hold onto him for the season and let him walk when he becomes a FA.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 8, 2009 12:26 PM

Kalo_rama, point taken and well put. You are right, the Knicks Defense did get better. But this still lends credence to the point that your offense has to be better.

With the trading of Jackson there Offense did not get better. It was better with Jackson.

If Riley had kept Jackson, they might have gotten a Ring.

Even you Kalo_rama, would have to admit that a Defensive guru/specialist that Riley was, he won his Rings with Superior Offensive Players.

Without superior Offensive Players/Play, Riley's Defense never got it done.

For all of SHAQ's strength's his Offense is his strongest.

At the end of the day, Defense was elevated to stop Offense and those Teams that execute Defensely but also have better Offenses always win.

Thanks Kalo_rama, LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 8, 2009 11:15 AM

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 8, 2009 12:32 PM

With Harvard's success in beating BC last night, maybe Etap should consider the Harvard Offense and put to rest the Princeton Offense which has won nothing.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 8, 2009 12:42 PM

Ivan, you reported today that Les BouleS have been holding opponents to under 100 pts.

Who cares?

An undermanned Toronto (minus Moon, Calderon, and O'Neal) still shot over 55% and won the game.

Winning is what matters....not holding a depleted team under 100 when they still beat you.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 8, 2009 12:46 PM

lol i thought we were ran the UDC offense

Posted by: prescrunk | January 8, 2009 12:48 PM

I love reading these comments. Everyone keeps talking about Tapscott's rotations and not playing the young guys. Wake up people, the Wiz suck regardless of who's on the court. If any of you fanatics were coaching, this team would win 0 games. If you knew the true Wiz problems on the court, you'd be coaching this team. Stop blaming Tapscott and nitpicking every sub he makes. This team isn't any good, it doesn't matter if Tapscott listened to any of you this team would still be one of the worst in the league.

No one is talking about the missed free throws at the end of the game. Mike James missed 2, Jamison missed 1. Oh yeah it must've been Tapscott's fault for those missed free throws. The players crumble in clutch situations. Last night was another example of this.

By the way I was at the game last night, upper deck was almost empty. Wizards aren't drawing like they used to and why would they. I hope the Wiz doesn’t finish with the worst record in the league, but at this pace it may happen.

Posted by: wizfan81 | January 8, 2009 12:52 PM

What is the differnce between Andray Blatche and Kwame Brown?
I think Andray has more talent. Kwame has a better body. Kwame was a #1 pick. Andray was not. Both are sensitive. Both have poor judgement. Kwame is better paid.
Andray already cost one coach his job. Eddie Jordan would still be here if Andray played up to his potential. The Wiz would not be in this big a mess. Kwame is getting zero playing time in Detroit. Smart coach. When Kwame played Detroit lost. When Andray doesn't play hard with energy the Wiz loose. When he does play hard the Wiz usually loose also but put on a better show. Kwame got shipped out of town. Andray so far remains. When will Andray be gone?

Posted by: JoeC2 | January 8, 2009 12:57 PM

JoeC2,

I don't know much about Kwame but I actually think Blatche is really growing and improving this year. I hope he keeps up his grind!
BTW - I thought the crab dribble game was supposed to bring on a win streak - WTF happened?

Posted by: sammy5 | January 8, 2009 1:17 PM

The theory of the Princeton offense would have no credence had they not beaten UCLA in the tourney in '96 (??). Soooo, they might as well precede any Ivy League school with the "term" offense. Guess it just sounds intelligent, as opposed to "Coppin St. Offense," which Wes Unseld, Sr. was obviously running...

Posted by: -CN- | January 8, 2009 1:21 PM

Posted by: Dave381 | January 8, 2009 11:58 AM

I really don’t understand why people are so quick to trade ET. I understand that he is not a starting center in the NBA. He may not even be a very good back-up at this time in his career. But what ET can bring to this team is this; BH is the present J.McGee is the future, OK fine. But neither of them has any real muscles or physicality about themselves. ET can be a good 3rd center that come off the bench from time to time and also will come real cheap if resigns. He would be a bargain in two years.

The Wiz are going have draft Jordan Hill or Blake Griffin with a top 4 selection. So the question is this “who goes, Jamison or Blatche and Pech”. That should be the discussion.

Bee: I would trade Blake Griffin and Caron Butler for Kevin Durant and Jordan Hill

Posted by: dsquare | January 8, 2009 1:23 PM

I think there's also some pyschological damage to this season, as well. Even in a best-case scenario with a healthy Gilbert and Haywood returning, if they finish the way their record is headed they won't just bounce-back to a playoff-level team. They now have no tradition or memory of playing tough D, of closing out teams, of competing every night, of protecting home court, of delivering hard fouls, of plahying with pride, etc. You don't just instantly reacquire all of that. We're looking at two-three years, in my view, once everyone is healthy before they return to middle of the pack basketball.

Posted by: jweber1 | January 8, 2009 1:28 PM

jweber1,

just because most of the folks on here are shortsighted doesn't mean the wiz organization or its players are.

Jamison spoke recently about the 'losing culture' and the fact that it doesn't exist here.

Posted by: jones-y | January 8, 2009 1:32 PM

dsquare,

the only value I see in ET right now is defensively agains some of the big athletic centers who give us fits. He's a good matchup, for example, with Dwight Howard (much like BTH is with Big Z and Yao). That alone (matching up with the best center in our division) might, just might, make it worthwhile to keep him. But if we let his contract expire, some other team is gonna pay him more than we're willing (or able). So its best to trade him while he has value.

Which is most likely this coming offseason, to NY or NJ or any of the teams lining up for the 2010 free agent class.

Posted by: jones-y | January 8, 2009 1:37 PM

Eddie Jordan would still be here if Andray played up to his potential.

Posted by: JoeC2 | January 8, 2009 12:57 PM

You forgot to mention that EJ played a large role in AB not playing up to his potential. EJ undid himself with the mindgame bull.

Posted by: jones-y | January 8, 2009 1:39 PM

"They now have no tradition or memory of playing tough D, of closing out teams, of competing every night, of protecting home court, of delivering hard fouls, of plahying with pride, etc. You don't just instantly reacquire all of that.

Posted by: jweber1"

The Celtics had the same problem. Then in an instant, Kevin Garnett was acquired. At that moment, the psychological effect was gone.

Gil and Haywood aren't Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, but then again we're not expecting the Wiz to explode to a 60-win team either. What they will do is at least come back with excitement and energy.

Posted by: psps23 | January 8, 2009 1:42 PM

Arenas - Crittenton -James - pg
Butler - Young - Stevenson - sg
Jamison - McGuire - sf
Blatche - Songalia - Thomas - pf
Haywood - McGee - Thomas - c

The Wizards could conceivably stand pat with this team and with a shot of kool-aid on the side, reasonably expect to be competitive with the elite teams in the East.

All hands on deck and healthy, what is the best case scenario for this team? Fifty wins? Could they beat Cleveland? Its possible.

If healthy Arenas needs to play this season so the Wiz can gauge what they've got.

Posted by: pdarroch | January 8, 2009 1:50 PM

Oh, and somebody posted AB's PER ratings over the past 4 years as proof of lack of progress. This year's number was only marginally better than last. And its a prime example of how misleading stats can be.

For anyone who can't see clear as day how much better he is this year (man-up and team D, understanding the sets, spacing, taking smarter shots, fewer fouls, fewer turnovers and charges, I could go on) and is relying on a single amalgamated number to chart his progress, there are lies, d@mned lies, and statistics.

Same for DMac and NY, they've both improved noticably over their rookie year, regardless of their PER.

For everyone complaining about developing young guys, are the three of them not young? Have they not been developing nicely?

Posted by: jones-y | January 8, 2009 1:51 PM

Posted by: jones-y

--------

If you compare their ["difference" in PER from last year to this year] to the rest of the team's [difference in PER from last year to this year], I guarantee you those numbers will look a lot better.

Posted by: psps23 | January 8, 2009 1:58 PM

"lol i thought we were ran the UDC offense

Posted by: prescrunk | January 8, 2009 12:48 PM "

Yes, UDC...Univ. for Dumb Children.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 8, 2009 2:00 PM

Yes, UDC...Univ. for Dumb Children.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 8, 2009 2:00 PM

Hold on DCMAN, I thought UDC stood for University of District of Columbia?

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 2:02 PM

pdarroch,

my lineup is as follows:

1. arenas - critt
2. stevenson - young
3. butler - mcguire
4. jamison - blatche
5. haywood - mcgee

Over the next 3 years, I see Blatch and McGee taking over for Jamison and BTH. But we will need a quality third center while McGee continues to develop. Of course AB can slide over, but I much prefer playing him at his natural position.

So the last 5 spots can be a 2nd/3rd string center, a third point guard, a veteran scoring 2 guard, and a couple of forwards for mop up duty. To fill those roles we can keep songaila, james, dixon, pecherov, and ET, (who perform moderately well in those roles now) or we could move some or all of them as EG sees fit, but either way it doesn't matter much since with the exception of the center, they'll all be out of the top ten, and thus the rotation.

Posted by: jones-y | January 8, 2009 2:02 PM

"Hold on DCMAN, I thought UDC stood for University of District of Columbia?

Posted by: cj658 | January 8, 2009 2:02 PM "

Interchangeable.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 8, 2009 2:26 PM

Dsquare,

Besides the contract that Jones-y explained Thomas is just too short to be a center in this league. He's a liability on Offense and very limited on defense as well. Yes he will be a good 3rd Center but how many teams will be willing to pay huge salary for a 3rd string.

Posted by: Dave381 | January 8, 2009 2:31 PM

"Dsquare,

Posted by: Dave381 | January 8, 2009 2:31 PM "

Height issues can be overcome by pluses in ability and heart. Take for instance DHoward and Al Horton who are both centers and hover around 6-10 too.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 8, 2009 2:36 PM

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 8, 2009 4:41 PM

"given the uncertainty surrounding the Wizard's PG situation going forward, with Arenas' medical issues and Crittenton's ongoing growing pains, I can certainly see the Wiz holding onto James going into next year."

The truth is that it is not up to the Wizards whether or not James uses the last year of his contract. It is a PLAYER option, so James decides if he wants to use it. But, he will not be able to get the same money on the open market, so expect him to use the option and stay signed through 2010. I agree that they will let him go after that.

And does anyone else notice how some Wiz players are throwing outlet passes to anyone but MJ whenever possible. I think some of them get frustrated with his quick shots, too.

Posted by: SportzWiz | January 8, 2009 4:44 PM

"Who's Al Horton? If you're talking about Al Thornton . . . (A) he's 6' 8" and (B) he's not a center. If you're talking about Al Horford . . . dude's a beast.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 8, 2009 4:41 PM "

Yepper...

Al Horford plays C, is generously listed at 6-10, 245lbs, and is doing well.

So, people saying Etan is undersized as a reason for his lack of success, well....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 8, 2009 9:52 PM

"The truth is that it is not up to the Wizards whether or not James uses the last year of his contract."

It's not up to the Wizards whether he exercises the opt out option. But since, as you said yourself, it's unlikely he will opt out, then it most definitely is up to the Wizards whether he remains a member of the team next season.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 9, 2009 7:20 AM