Etan Thomas Has Torn MCL

The Wizards today announced that veteran center Etan Thomas has a torn MCL in his left knee and will be out indefinitely. He will be reevaluated in two weeks. The injury occured in the first quarter of last night's loss to Milwaukee. Thomas left the game and did not return.

Thomas, who missed all of last season following open-heart surgery, is averaging 3.5 points and 2.5 rebounds in 11.4 minutes. The longest tenured Wizard, Thomas has one more year remaining on his contract.

By Ivan Carter  |  January 13, 2009; 2:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Life Imitates Art
Next: The Other Side: New York Knicks

Comments

I feel soory for Etan, he's worked hard to come back from heart surgery and now this. I hope he recovers quickly and no matter how you feel about him you have to admit he plays with heart and passion.

Posted by: zxhoya | January 13, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry that he tore his acl and is probably in some pain, don't wish that on anyone. However, I'm not sorry that he will be out for the remainder of the season and in all likelihood, played his last game as a Wizard. Etan Thomas has been a cancer to this team and in the community for years. No professional player has done more harm to the DC youth community than Etan Thomas, who spews pitifully ignorant propaganda to public audiences every chance he gets. Telling young black children that "Republicans don't like you" was just one of many disgraceful phrases he used in one of his poems.

Good riddance, Etan. You will not be missed.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

ouch @ Barno1.

Posted by: tundey | January 13, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I think that someone UP THERE wants to see Pech play. Unfortunately, this just means more minutes at the 5 for Songaila in all likelihood.

Free Pech !!

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, did you read something I didn't? He tore his MCL, not his ACL. I didn't see Ivan mentioning him being out for the year, either.
If it's a grade 1 or 2 tear it could be as little as 3 weeks. Grade 3 would be months.

I'm no big Etan fan but I certainly wouldn't call him a cancer to the team and community. EJ's man-crush on Etan was the problem, not Etan himself. I'm not big on poetry either. However, I DO have some experience being a young black child. And I HAVE felt as though Republicans didn't like me.
Remember Reagan?

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

How does this impact the Wizards hopes for a playoff berth?

Posted by: skipper7 | January 13, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

impact is a noun

Posted by: prescrunk | January 13, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow, very unfortunate injury, since he's worked so hard in getting back. I was one of those that called for McGee to get PT ahead of Thomas (I think the stats supported my argument, as McGee was averaging 8+ pts, 5+ rebs, & 1.5+ blks per game). You gotta admire his energy, but in a season like this, I didn't see why he was getting PT over McGee, except to showcase him in a trade. He'll be gone by this time next year, as his contract will be valuable, but this team is down, yet another body...

Posted by: -CN- | January 13, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

YAY YAY, today is a great day for the wiz fans

Posted by: forbid | January 13, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

impact is a noun

Posted by: prescrunk

-----

it's also a verb.

Posted by: psps23 | January 13, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Etan reminds me of braveheart. Has it all but in the ends gets shredded up and goes down as the guy with heart..

Posted by: WizardsExtreme | January 13, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I knew during the game, as soon as Buckhantz made the comparison between what happened to Etan and what happened to Arenas, that Etan was done. It's the Wizards. It couldn't happen any other way.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 13, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

"Etan Thomas has been a cancer to this team and in the community for years. No professional player has done more harm to the DC youth community than Etan Thomas..."

That is quite possibly the dumbest thing anyone has ever written here, and that's saying something.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 13, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Remember Reagan?

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 3:29 PM

Yes I do remember Reagan, quite well actually. I met him several times and my mother was very close with him. To imply that he "did not like black people" is beyond the pale. You have some nerve making that kind of insinuation about a man who held no racial animus whatsoever.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Unfortunately, this just means more minutes at the 5 for Songaila in all likelihood."

Posted by: original_mark

No chance Tapscott actually reviews tape and realizes that having a 6'9 forward on a 7'0 center contributes to giving up offensive rebounds, is there?

Posted by: psps23 | January 13, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

it's also a verb.

Posted by: psps23 | January 13, 2009 3:53 PM

no its not.

Posted by: prescrunk | January 13, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

*it's

Posted by: prescrunk | January 13, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"I knew during the game, as soon as Buckhantz made the comparison between what happened to Etan and what happened to Arenas, that Etan was done.

Posted by: kalo_rama"

I've had a pretty bad MCL sprain. It only lasts a few weeks. Even a complete tear can be rehabilitated in a month or two (as long as there's no other damage). I think Thomas will be back this season.

Posted by: psps23 | January 13, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2009 3:56 PM

is it? did u ever ask him?

Posted by: prescrunk | January 13, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

prescrunk - The English language is malleable and adaptive. Impact has been used as a verb for decades now. Get with the times.

Also, Reagan loathed all dark-skinned people.

Posted by: IrenePollin | January 13, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

it's also a verb.

Posted by: psps23 | January 13, 2009 3:53 PM

no its not.

Posted by: prescrunk

----

Why are you trying to make a point of this? It is a verb. Look it up in any dictionary.

Posted by: psps23 | January 13, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

he just cannot stay healthy. and i'm not talking about his heart condition. just terrible luck. i've always appreciated his passion and rive on the court, but i also always felt was was just too undersized for his position, and i never agreed with us matching Milwaukee's offer from back in the day.

as for the team, i'm not sure if this helps or not. it no doubt means more playing time for mcgee, which is good, but it also means that there is almost no chance of using thomas in a trade this season (though with his trade kicker, he most likely wasn't going anywhere).

Posted by: segastyle | January 13, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Etan Thomas got his MCL cut...by me...he sucks

Posted by: PrisonBalls00 | January 13, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Of course, no one likes to see anyone get injured, and I agree with the comments above, he worked hard to come back and he plays hard, if not well. Having said that, both McGee and Pech need to play. Pech has more DNPs that anyone on the team, and McGee has had several. It's pathethic that we are down to 11 active players again, but I'm an optimist. Look what Nick Young has done with DeShawn out? 2 great games in the last three. I am hoping for a breakout game or two from McGee and Pech to secure more PT.

I hope ETaps doesn't decide to give significant miutes to DSong in the middle, but then again, I am talking about ETaps..oh boy!

Ron

Posted by: faninAlex | January 13, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 13, 2009 3:56 PM

Well I feel better now.

Posted by: cj658 | January 13, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Also, Reagan loathed all dark-skinned people.
Posted by: IrenePollin | January 13, 2009 4:02 PM

Languages do evolve, but just because psp23 chooses to use a word incorrectly does not mean that he can rightfully use English as his personal malleable tool.

Impact is an intransitive verb, i.e.,

"Because Reagan loathed all dark-skinned people, his popularity in urban environments incurred lasting a negative impact."

Posted by: prescrunk | January 13, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

*noun

Posted by: prescrunk | January 13, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

whats was pech's line against the bulls?

Posted by: BurgwithaU | January 13, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I believe Ernie Grunfeld was pushing Tapscott to play Etan more to help his trade value. His contract is a burden on the Wizards. The injury is a killer.

There are no playoffs this year, Tapscott should play the young guys more and not let AJ and Caron play heavy minutes. Show me McGee, Young, McGuire, and Blatche. There is no reason to let our all-stars get banged up for a lost season. Next year with the big three healthy and a top draft pick, we might have something.

Posted by: zards13 | January 13, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

My favorite poem from Etan: This one is directed toward the one and only Tom Knott, after Tom bashed Gil and the contract:

The other day I was driving my hybrid through the dilapidated streets of Washington DC, searching for a place to park so that I could enjoy a serving of fresh falafel, free of slaughtered animals, when I encountered a copy of your "great republican" newspaper, serving as a bed-sheet to a homeless transient. Ironic, I thought, that it is Knott's blowhardiness serving to warm this disenfranchised soul. After offering my 20-oz jug of wheat grass juice to the man in exchange for his bedspread (he took 20 dollars instead), I read over your latest bashing of African Americans living in this country. How long will we have to live with your racism, Mr. Knott? My teammate Gilbert Arenas may not have the wherewithal to deliver me the rock when I am free on the low block, but he is true with his intentions as a business person in America. What is wrong with a brother looking to maximize his financial means?

Posted by: cj658 | January 13, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Could be worse...could be Eddy Curry.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 13, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"Languages do evolve, but just because psp23 chooses to use a word incorrectly"

(1) I didn't use the word.

(2) It wasn't used incorrectly. It is also a transitive verb, just as it was used.

Just in case you didn't feel the need to educate yourself, from Webster's dictionary:

"im·pact

Pronunciation:
\im-ˈpakt\

Function:
verb

Etymology:
Latin impactus, past participle of
impingere to push against — more at impinge

Date:
1601

transitive verb
1 a: to fix firmly by or as if by packing or wedging b: to press together
2 a: to have a direct effect or impact on : impinge on b: to strike forcefully ; also : to cause to strike forcefully:

intransitive verb
1: to have an impact —often used with on
2: to impinge or make contact especially forcefully"

Posted by: psps23 | January 13, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Etan is a class act as far as people go, he comes across as a smart and good-hearted man. Unfortunately, his basketball career was already on its way out, and this is likely the end for him as a Wizard. Hope he has a good recovery.

The positive from this injury is that the Wiz will continue to tank (thereby gaining a lottery pick) and more playing time for McGee will be secured (possibly even for Pech, who seems to really suck). For that matter, the rooks will definitely get more playing time, and may even continue to impress. However, buckle your seatbelts--this team will give last year's Heat team serious contention for worst team in recent memory, possibly of all time. It's an ideal "development" season, so long as the team doesn't get mired in "development hell" and the players all turn out to be busts. Let's just hope AJ and CB can stay healthy and not lose their mojo after this year, which is for all intents and purposes a forgotten year.

As a side note, Barno1: please take your right-wing apologetics nonsense out of a blog that's dedicated to basketball. Couldn't agree more with kalo, that goes down as the stupidest remark ever made on this blog.

Posted by: Crunkenstein | January 13, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Could be worse...could be Eddy Curry.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 13, 2009 4:30 PM

His career is essentially over now. It sounds like he said, she said. But you gotta think a lawyer wouldn't sur for 5 mill unless he had some sort of evidence or witness. Eddy is done.

Posted by: cj658 | January 13, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

My favorite poem from Etan...

Posted by: cj658 | January 13, 2009 4:28 PM

ROTFLMAO

Posted by: prescrunk | January 13, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, were you ever a young black child? If not, you have no point of reference.

It's a perception and whether it's real to you or not, it should be respected.
Personally, I'm pretty conservative but I can respect a gay person's assertions that their rights are being violated. I may not agree or understand but I wouldn't call them societal cancers because they feel persecuted.

Anyway, this should be about the Wiz. I'm done with the social commentary.

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Wow. This string is is the least coherent and least meaningful blog I've ever read. Let's get a point people.

Posted by: Matte | January 13, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Matte

---

I agree, my bad for being a part of it.

As far as the Wiz go, this injury should only mean a consistent boost in McGee's minutes. And that's a good thing for the future.

Posted by: psps23 | January 13, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Etan's expiring contract is the only reason a team would pick him up anyway. His contract status has not changed because of the injury. He's as attractive a free agent as he ever was after this year. I don't think any team was under the illusion that he would actually be able to help them on the court.
He's a one year placeholder just to clear money off the books. It sucks for Etan because he worked so hard to get back but doesn't change this team in any way.

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Barno1 was half right, half wrong:

To suggest he has been more harmful to the DC community than any other athlete, is stretching it. But for someone who has actually read some of Etan's garbage, I can see Barno is coming from. To suggest the things he suggests about politics are absurd. I won't get into the details, but let's just say Etan's head is alsways looking left.

Posted by: cj658 | January 13, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I should have ignored the poetry/cancer comments, too.

My apologies for taking this blog off course.

Free Pech !!

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I'll miss the swinging dreads/elbows twice a game when he garnered rebounds.

I was just waiting for the day when he connected a la Big Georghe and Horace Grant.

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Could be worse...could be Eddy Curry.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | January 13, 2009 4:30 PM

HAHAHAHAHA had to check to see if that was a joke link, but it's definitely not--it's on the front page of MSNBC sports!

Posted by: Crunkenstein | January 13, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

And one more thing, we all know Tom Knott has been a very vocal critic of Etan's play. He basically called Etan out for not playing up to his contract. We would all agree with that assertation, right?

What was Etan's respnonse? Well, Etat was quted as saying that Tom was bashing him because he worked for a "right-wing" newspaper. Seriously. That says a lot about the type of man Etan is. Rather than man-up and admit he is not playing to his potential, he bashes Tom Knott, and makes that ridiculous statement.

I for one, am not sad that Etan played his last game as a Wizard. Hope he gets better and enjoys a decent career, in another town, the Pacific Northwest, perhaps.

Posted by: cj658 | January 13, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Indeed, this blog has been taken off course, and let me tell you why: If the news were about any other Wizard player, do you people think the blog would be taken off course like this? Absolutely not. But the fact that people started commenting on politics and poetry, is because the news is about Etan. All that means is that he was more know for politics and poetry, than basketball. Pretty sad. Yet, Abe/EG felt the need to sign this guy to a long-term multi million dollar deal. When 75% of the comments are about off-court issues, it simply means he was more known for off-court nonsense than his play on the court.

Posted by: cj658 | January 13, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

All this means is more reason to draft Thabeet!!!

Posted by: cj658 | January 13, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

YEAH! BARNO1, WHAT THEY SAID YEAAAAAH BOOOOOYZ!!! As far as Reagan is concerned(while he was in office)Iran-Contra,crack epidemic,constuctive engagement with South Afica,Ollie North, and while he was Gov.of California an all out war against the Black Panther Party.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 13, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Regean is dead folks, can we leave the man alone. A little respect would be nice.

Reagan was president almost 25 years ago. let's get a grip, leave the man alone.

Posted by: cj658 | January 13, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Ivan wrote: "The Wizards today announced that veteran center Etan Thomas has a torn MCL in his left knee and will be out indefinitely."

Ivan, how do you think Etan's family will feel when they read that he will be out "indefinitely"? Did you learn nothing from reading Etan's "Open Letter to Ivan Carter" last year? Etan's family is very sensitive, and they can't be subjected to anything in print that might suggest that Etan is injured in any way. Please write your articles accordingly.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | January 13, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

"Good riddance, Etan. You will not be missed."

Word around the Post is Barno has no penis, so don't listen to him. :P

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | January 13, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Funny, all the things that Barno1 detests about Etan Thomas are the things I really love about him. I wonder if Barno1 hates Steve Nash too, because he was the only NBA player other than Etan who had the guts to speak out publicly against Bush and the stupid Iraq war.

Believe it or not, there used to be a lot of guys like that in the NBA, back in the day. The great Bill Russell, for example, was willing to risk his life by going down to Selma and marching for civil rights, at a time when the segregationists were beating people up and siccing dogs on them.

Etan may not be such a great player, but as a citizen he could teach something to the LeBrons and Kobes, who don't care about anything except how much they make in endorsements and how many cars they can buy with it. I remember that LeBron wouldn't even sign his then-teammate Ira Newble's letter asking China to stop aiding the murderous Sudanese regime that's killing people in Darfur. King James, apparently, was concerned that Chinese teenagers might not buy his shoes if he expressed a political opinion. Etan, in contrast, has used his modest notoriety to fight for causes that he believes in.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | January 13, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Reagan gave military aid to Saddam Hussein's murderous regime in Iraq, and actually condemned the Israeli air raid that destroyed Saddam's nuclear weapons program. I don't owe him any respect whatsoever.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | January 13, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

There was a lot of criticism about MJ when he was playing because he'd try to stay in the middle of the road and avoid controversy. Jim Brown, of all people, called MJ out. The same is said of Tiger.

It's sometimes refreshing to hear something besides the standard 'we got our backs against the wall', 'got to get our swagger back' types of quotes from athletes and celebrities. This is neither in support of nor an indictment of Etan. ...just a comment.

Free Pech.

As far as ET's absence goes, there's nowhere else to turn besides JM, Songaila and Pech for the backup C position. My man Pech is up to 3rd string. Whoo Hoo!!

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

nothing to say about etan the person, great guy and good person, but as a baller he plain sucks and is vastly overpaid.

Posted by: insanity999 | January 13, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

mark, I sincerely hope PEcherov sent you a Christmas card as thanks for your devotion.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 13, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Etan was an averaged, at best, bball player who got paid more than he was worth on the court. But if you're going to start ripping him personally because of that, there are a lot of other guys who are standing in that line ahead of him.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 13, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

By "you" I meant anyone who engaged in such behavior, not anyone in particular.

Posted by: kalo_rama | January 13, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Of course Etan is out for a while. As someone else said, could it be any other way? Down to 11 healthy bodies? GA, DS, BH, ET, all in street clothes and Antawn and Antonio Daniels (before we traded him) have been less than 100%.

That being said, unless we were trying to showcase ET for a trade, this is a good thing in that it will force McGee onto the floor. I really want to see the young-uns go at it.

As for a quick note on the political front...Republicans dont only hate black people, they hate America. The GOP has done more to destroy this country than every terrorist group combined....and I am a conservative. The GOP is a corrupt bunch of crooks.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | January 13, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

BUT IF YOU'RE GOING TO START RIPPING HIM PERSONALLY BECAUSE OF THAT, THERE ARE A LOT OF OTHER GUYS WHO ARE STANDING IN THAT LINE AHEAD OF HIM.
POSTED BY: KALO_RAMA | JANUARY 13, 2009 5:46 PM
---------
"Just don't start bashing Eddy Curry, the guy is the only reason I'm not ridiculed on a daily basis...
Sincerely,
Kwame Brown"

Posted by: -CN- | January 13, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I feel sorry for Etan. Regardless of what you think of his skill, Etan gives the Wiz his best effort. Etan's injury probably means that the Wiz won't be able to trade for Larry Hughes. Etan had to be in any trade with the Bulls for Hughes for salary cap reasons.

Because of Etan's injury we will probably see more minutes for McGee and Pecherov. Songaila will play the 5 more, but we need to see what McGee and the other young players can do. Young, Blatche, and Crittenton may have big upsides.

Butler and Jamison's minutes should be limited to about 30. They should be blindfolded after that because it will be difficult to watch the other players play.

Posted by: JoeC2 | January 13, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

----------------

If you're going to say that much about the type of man someone is, can you provide the quote, rather than making an accusation and trusting in your interpretation to provide the context for us?

Posted by: crs-one | January 13, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I never got Pech's Xmas card. I just want to see the dude get a shot. On a team that's devoid of any consistent offense, why not? he came in the game shooting the other night and got us a quick 9 in 5 minutes.
Who's to say he can't provide an occasional shot in the arm?

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Why would any of these multi-million dollar athletes give a shet about Iraq anyways? Most NBA players are 2 year college players at max, and you know they aren't getting much education from taking communication classes at UNC (a la Antwan "We Was" Jamison).

Posted by: awb9h | January 13, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Your comments show a high level of ignorance and, I should point out, you offer no facts other than "remember Ronald Reagan", which tells me you just fall for propaganda and don't think objectively/critically on your own.

I do remember Reagan as probably the best President since JFK and he is widely noted as a very accomplished and popular President. He was reelected by EVERY state except Minnesota, which I believe was the largest margin of victory ever in a presidential election. If not, it was right up there.

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 13, 2009 6:27 PM | Report abuse

For those who say impact can be used as a verb, please write a sentence so that I can share a laugh with some folk? Thanks.

lol

Posted by: flsnupe | January 13, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Etan Thomas had a tough go of things in 2008 and despite the fact I agree that to my way of thinking his politics have detracted somewhat from my interest in him, I had hoped that in a rebound year he would provide better on the court leadership with Haywood on the IR.

To be truthful, Thomas' 3.5 points and 3 rebounds won't be missed, and point up where Etan's career has tended to flow, toward the mediocre.

He is a #3 center on a decent team and wouldn't make the roster of a contender. He lacks any offensive skills and is an inconsistent rebounder despite his size.

The Wizards need to move on and find a rotation of capable inside players to challenge in the Eastern Conference (assuming that Arenas actually returns healthy and commits to being a two-way performer).

Posted by: leopard09 | January 13, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

No one on this blog can impact the way you think about the word 'impact' so there's no point in using it in a sentence, flsnupe.

what the !!?? didn't mean to do that... stupid vocabulary..

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Actually, impact IS a verb, flsnupe. I may not have used it that way but dictionary.com has examples.

That is, if you were serious)

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

"Increased demand will impact on sales."

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

At least E.T. looks scary; unlike any of the other 'Zards.

Posted by: breck3957 | January 13, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

At least E.T. looks scary; unlike any of the other 'Zards.

Posted by: breck3957 | January 13, 2009 7:18 PM

he does kinda look like predator

Posted by: crs-one | January 13, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"But the fact that people started commenting on politics and poetry, is because the news is about Etan. All that means is that he was more know for politics and poetry, than basketball. Pretty sad." - cj658

What is sad is that somebody might believe this odd little statement.

Posted by: pdarroch | January 13, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Barno,

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 13, 2009 6:27 PM

I think you might have confused me with someone who was responding to me. You and I are on the same page about Reagan. And I didn't display any ignorance about the man, though quite a few others on here have.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Reaganomics was the beginning of the trickle down theory and Bush II was the final straw. Now that everybody is broke (including the banks and the insurance companies), the Democrats will right the ship yet again. Even Richard Steele, the top black Republican in the country admits that the party has left black people in the dust.

So to say that Etan Thomas should be castigated for pointing out the obvious is way past naive...it's downright stupid.

You cannot discredit Etan's energy and passion. If it wasn't for his fierce competition with Haywood, Brendan would have never played with any passion. He pushed Brendan to outplay him just to keep him off the floor. Whether you want to admit it our not that made Brendan a better player and the Wizards a better team.

Etan's contribution cannot be discredited just because he got a decent contract. He got it because the Bucks realized his value and Abe Pollin matched it because Abe values loyalty and character over athletic ability. Sometimes he values those qualities to a fault but then I would prefer his way as opposed to the vindictive Portland Trailblazers.

Have a heart. Stop bashing Etan!!!!

Posted by: Carole5520 | January 13, 2009 8:00 PM | Report abuse

It's a perception and whether it's real to you or not, it should be respected.

Anyway, this should be about the Wiz. I'm done with the social commentary.

Posted by: original_mark | January 13, 2009 4:43 PM

I've seen some pretty asinine comments on blogs before, but the one above might take the cake. I sincerely hope you were joking.

If you falsely accuse someone of hating black people, I don't have to be black to have the right to say the racist charge is false.

Get a clue.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Carole5520 | January 13, 2009 8:00 PM

Who the hell is Richard Steele? Perhaps you were referring to Michael Steele? You might want to double check the names of the people you are quoting inaccurately.

And Michael Steele never said any such thing. In one sentence, you botched his named and lied about something he did not say.

Man there are a lot of imbeciles on here.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Barno, it never ceases to amaze me how willing right-wingers are to take shots at those who don't agree with them, but get defensive at the drop of a single word of criticism about their own views. Your malicious, ignorant comment that started this mess says more about you than I, or any other poster, could possibly say. Whether you agree with Etan or not on political issues, at least he's out there trying to make the world a better place. We would all be better off if more followed his lead, regardless of approach or political leanings. Your comments were entirely uncalled for and pathetic.

Posted by: truke | January 13, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Registered Democrat here and unquestioned Obama supporter but...Barno1 was right to admonish Etan if he was indeed telling black kids "Republicans don't like you." Those comments are divisive and not needed in the discourse of political discussion.

For the most part, Republicans and Democrats have the country's best interest in mind when putting forth their agenda, there is just a strong disagreement in ways to make the country better.

No need for someone to implant such negative seeds in a child's head before they have a chance to make an educated decision.

Having said that I'll have to end with one of the funniest but so true quotes I've heard from a blogger...

"Yeah it's true that not every Republican is a member of the KKK but every member of the KKK is definitely a Republican!"

Posted by: jansjay | January 13, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jansjay | January 13, 2009 8:29 PM

I'm glad there is at least someone else on here that's being honest. Thanks Jansjay for acknowledging that my comments were not divisive, but Etan's certainly were. I was not making a "ring wing" point as some on here seem to have interpreted, but rather I was pointing out that I'm not going to miss Etan because I thought he did a lot of harm to our community with the divisive things he has said in his time here. This is not a Republican or democrat, ring wing or left wing type of thing. This is just my opinion about the man and his impact here.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jansjay | January 13, 2009 8:29 PM

But I do have to say that while this may be a funny joke, it's just not accurate. It's a myth that if you're a racist white guy you're undoubtedly a republican. Ever heard of Sen. Harry Byrd?

Here's a hint:

He's got a (D) next to his name.

Posted by: Barno1 | January 13, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Email ErnieGone@Hotmail.com for Free Fire Ernie Shirt. Send address and you get a shirt (while supplies last).

Posted by: erniegone | January 13, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Man I knew when I saw it. I have always liked Etan. He's always been good for us off the bench. A guy who comes in and brings power and energy, helps add momentum with some slams and blocks, and occasionally has flashes where he flat out dominates the game. And he seemed to just be starting to really find his game and was looking like his old self. He's had some seriously bad luck with injuries throughout his career. Alot of bizarre and very long term ailments including foot, abs, heart. I really hoped he could pick up the slack for us when Haywood went down. It was just a matter of too much too soon for him IMO.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 13, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

------

No, no. I am a conservative and will repeat that the GOP does not have Americas best interests at heart. They have GOP power in mind first and formost and have aided and abetted in the gutting of this country to the point where there may be no return. Absolute power corrupts absolutely and that is certainly true with the Republican party.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | January 13, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Since we're on politics through ETAN, I'm white and not a child. Believe me, and I know, neither REAGAN nor the BUSHs loved me either.

Posted by: glawrence007 | January 13, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Etan's injury is that big a deal, although I was rooting for him to play. That's because he wasn't getting much playing time anyway. Certainly there is less depth now, in the event of an injury to Blatche or McGee.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | January 13, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Hello people! LarryInClintonMD in the House. Politics is my middle name, but I ain't going there.

Sorry about Etan...

But ta' tell yawl' somethin', him gettin' hurt keeps remindin' me how Etaps' keeps playin' his playas' in da' wrong positions.

Ya see, if Etan hadda' been on the bench like he shouda' been, he might not have gotten hurt.

I know tha analogy sounds insane and kinda' cruel, but iffin' ya' keep strechin' playas' out of position and playin' playas' when they oughta' not be playin', yo' chemistry gets outa' wack' and bad thangs' mit' tend ta' happen'.

Iffin' ya' continue ta' play this way you probably lose more than yo' fair share of da' games and even worse somebody bound to get hurt.

I half jest and I half serious.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 13, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

And oh, oh, the coaching philosophy definitely impacts why the Wizards lose games.

And that would make impact a verb in the previous sentence, but a noun in this sentence.

And as Webster verifies, the word impact can be used as a verb as well as a noun.

LarryInClintonMD. I know a little english too.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 13, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the NBA channel and there top ten replays had 3 Wizard entrees. # 5 was Nick Young's dunk. # 3 Javales cradle dunk. And #2 was Nick Young's almost losing the ball then going through his legs and twirl leaving the defender with his hands on the floor then he passes to McGee for the Slam.

To bad ETaps don't know what talent he has on that team and how to use it.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 14, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Prescrunk, impact is a verb do you even speak English?

Posted by: Marine4Life51 | January 14, 2009 5:04 AM | Report abuse

Also, i think Barno means Senator Robert Byrd?

Posted by: Marine4Life51 | January 14, 2009 5:22 AM | Report abuse

and occasionally has flashes where he flat out dominates the game.

Posted by: Darnell1 | January 13, 2009 9:02 PM

Come again?

Posted by: jones-y | January 14, 2009 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Prescrunk, impact is a verb...
Posted by: Marine4Life51 | January 14, 2009 5:04 AM

maybe in your leatherneck bastardized version of it

Posted by: prescrunk | January 14, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I would never say Reagan was a racists. I would say that a lot of his policies ended up hurting the black community such as his tax cuts for the rich and the widening of the middle class not too mention the amount of time someone would get in jail for crack as opposed to cocaine. Also, don't forget he did nothing with the Aids epidemic until Rock Hudson died of aids. Also there was the support of the Contras in Nicaragua which you could say were involved in terrorists activities. Yeah Reagan was horrible.

But I like Etan. Met him once. Nice guy. And you would think that he would support Republicans because their policies tax wise would benefit him more than what the Democratic Party usually advocates. The nerve.

Posted by: webby1 | January 14, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Yo, Larry in Clinton. Iffin da' grammar police gets aholt of you, theys gonna fine yo' junky ass big time, my man. You best watch it. I'm just sayin'.

Posted by: ajedwardsjr | January 14, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

It's truly a shame that etan has had to go through such devastating injuries in his career and our squad certainly needed his short but still powerful frame for some minutes. That being said, now tap is forced to play his hand, javale needs to play. no one thinks darius is a good center, as bad as everyone wants to try and find the positives of his play, he can shoot jump shots, make a cut and is a good passer but is seriously not athletic, one of a handful of the leagues least athletic players,this leads to absolutely atrocious defense. no matter how hard he can lean on a guy and not get backed down on, he should never crack the rotation as a five. our squad is dead as soon as he stands next to jamison without another big body out there. Javale is officially the only center we have, we all know blatche is a four, he can play the five but he is close to maxing out at that position right now i'm afraid, though he should be getting more minutes down the stretch,why does darius play all the important minutes? he concedes the paint on every penetration and offensive board. Blatche's ability at the four next to javale on the floor is begging to be seen again.
How did nick not get the nod for minutes over the deuce? would coaching maybe play a role in that? It almost seems as if tap finds any excuse to shoot down good play and ignore it instead opting for certain failure allowing the deshawn to see 30 per with darius logging 20 a night at the five, including 9 in the fourth. Now if songaila goes down we could see a lineup that works but until then he'll still probably play the important minutes at center, not where he is of value, at his position of power forward. I'd like to see the litany of scrubs he has in his "palace of good play" from years past and their backups who despised him.

Posted by: bford1kb | January 14, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Go Hang Barno & CJ658, as a matter of fact I'll be the one to kick the chair away from underneath you.

And you Barno,

didn't I assassinate your character on the Redskins Blog ? I own your name on this website now. Go crawl back under the rock in Alabama that you came from.

The new OG

Posted by: slipperyrichard | January 14, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

maybe in your leatherneck bastardized version of it

Posted by: prescrunk | January 14, 2009 11:11 AM

Check the dictionary, people here have already provided webster's definitions and examples, I have no idea what kind of English you're speaking.

For example:

The car impacted the tree at 40 miles per hour.

Prove me wrong, look it up in the damn dictionary it's a verb.

Posted by: Marine4Life51 | January 14, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

A Lesson in Etymology

v. tr.

To pack firmly together.
To strike forcefully: meteorites impacting the lunar surface.
Usage Problem To have an effect or impact on: "No region ... has been more impacted by emerging demographic and economic trends" (Joel Kotkin).
v. intr. Usage Problem
To have an effect or impact.

[From Latin impāctus, past participle of impingere, to push against; see impinge.]
im·pac'tion n.

Usage Note: The use of impact as a verb meaning "to have an effect" often has a big impact on readers. In our 2001 survey, 85 percent of the Usage Panel disapproved of the construction to impact on, as in the sentence These policies are impacting on our ability to achieve success; fully 80 percent disapproved of the use of impact as a transitive verb in the sentence The court ruling will impact the education of minority students. · It is unclear why this usage provokes such a strong response, but it cannot be because of novelty. Impact has been used as a verb since 1601, when it meant "to fix or pack in," and its modern, figurative use dates from 1935. It may be that its frequent appearance in the jargon-riddled remarks of politicians, military officials, and financial analysts continues to make people suspicious. Nevertheless, the verbal use of impact has become so common in the working language of corporations and institutions that many speakers have begun to regard it as standard. It seems likely, then, that the verb will eventually become as unobjectionable as contact is now, since it will no longer betray any particular pretentiousness on the part of those who use it. See Usage Note at contact.

Posted by: Marine4Life51 | January 14, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse