Knicks (15-22) at Wizards (7-31)

Wizards starters: Mike James, Caron Butler, Dominic McGuire, Antawn Jamison, Andray Blatche.

Knicks: Quentin Richardson, Chris Duhon, Jared Jeffries, David Lee, Wilson Chandler.

Refs: Tommy Nunez Jr., Ken Mauer, Gary Zielinski.

Line: Wizards by 3 1/2.

-The Wizards have allowed 114 points, 122 points and 128 points in three losses to the Knicks this season. "I would say there's a pattern there," interim coach Ed Tapscott cracked.

-Nick Young is averaging 25.8 points on 71.7 percent shooting in the last four games.

-If there is a single stat that summarizes the season for the Wiz it's this one: They are 6-10 when outrebounding and opponent and 1-20 when being outrebounded. (they are 0-1 when finishing dead even).

By Ivan Carter  |  January 16, 2009; 5:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Duhon Passes on Inauguration Invite
Next: Wizards 96, Knicks 89

Comments

What would Obama do with Ernie??

Fire Ernie

Bring change to the Wizards

Email ErnieGone@Hotmail.com

for free high quality t-shirt -- this is no cheap t-shirt like Ernie gives out.
Send mailing address and you get a shirt.

Posted by: erniegone | January 16, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why we had to wait so long to see this type player participation from the Team. I hope it is not short lived.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 7:45 PM | Report abuse

If Pecherov starts to play well I recommend the NBA take a urine sample immediately.

Posted by: twigmuffin | January 16, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Antwan J. being interviewed at halftime and the comment was that Tapscott believed that the Knicks had seduced the Wizs into playing the Knicks sytle of ball the last game. Run and Gun, Shoot the Three, Fastbreak.

I laugh to myself and I ask.

What about that style of ball does Ed Tapscott think the Wizards cannot play?

Seems like to me thats exactly what the Wizs is doing tonight, and they look good doing it.

For crying out loud, Come on Taps, get a clue. This is a Run and Gun, Shoot the Three, Fastbreak, kind of Team.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Who gets the job if the hire is in house? Ayers or Unseld?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

I want to see McGee back in the 4th and more of Blatche. Whats going on with this Songala crap?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I forgot, Songala is experienced.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Thats right even though he can't get a rebound or stop nobody, but he is experenced. Go Tapscott!!!

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Why does Tapscott think we need exp(Dson) in the game? We need playmakers. JM and AB. What gives. He's giving the game away.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

'Oh, I forgot, Songala is experienced.'

Not only that he's more experienced but is also the best sub of all time. Geez, Larry! How can you not know this?

Posted by: demonj21 | January 16, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

They're trying to secure that 14th spot in the East. Right now, they're "only" 6.5 games out.

At this stage for them not to play McGee is just absurd. Pecherov too.

Does it matter if those two get outplayed? The season is lost; let's see what those two have.

I can't understand it.

Posted by: SteveMG | January 16, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

This is such a raw deal for the players. Ping Pong ball my mule. You cannot piss on your players like this for a unproven draft ping pong ball selection.

This is as dumb as asking O'Sama bin Laden to come out of hiding.

But, this shortsighted lineup is going to pull the game out. Another testament to the players themselves. Play them the right way and this game would not have been close.

Tapscott deserves no credit for this. For real though.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Did the Wizards just win? It's a Kwanza miracle!

Posted by: awb9h | January 16, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Why would you tank a season with a 500 ball club. This is a big gamble. They are letting it ride. Tapscott, Grunfield, I hate to tell you, but the house always has better odds.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Great win guys…one you can be proud of…..

Did not watch the game but stat that caught my eye was

D. Songaila played 30:08 min (2-10 4 pts),
While J. Mc Gee only plays 4:08 1-1 2pts?

Are you Wizards show casing Songaila for a trade?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 16, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Blatche was playing great and then tap started to coach and only let him get five minutes in the second half, what gives? blatche had 10 pts, 9 r, 4 a, 3s and a block in the first, so his good play was rewarded by having to watch songaila try to give the game away? Mcgee getting four minutes is pathetic

Posted by: bford1kb | January 16, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

we won in spite of tap, for sure, he tried to let the interior give it away with song the entire second half, but the knicks awful 37% shooting couldn't quite edge us out

Posted by: bford1kb | January 16, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Come on 78, I know you out there. As they say in football, you can't coast and then think you gonna turn it on at the end of the season.

So, why does this Org' think they can just play for a ping pong ball and a new coach and everything gonna be honky dorry next year?

Thats Fools Gold I Say, Fools Gold. Somebody better get a Clue.

My Father always told me, Son, Don't do nothing halfway, Don't fake it, Always put your best foot forward, because at the end of the day, if you don't always do your best, you will be the one that ends up short.

You Know, I am a smart middle aged man, and my father is right.

So BulletsFan78, what is this Org' doing?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I agree with larry, our makeup is that of a run and gun squad, crit, nick, dom, ab and jm are all best with a squad that pushes anything and everything

Posted by: bford1kb | January 16, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Unless Grunfield is going to revamp this whole team, I do not see why he can continue to let Taps coach. Taps, I am convinced does not believe in UpTemPo Offense.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

IVAN PLEASE ASK OUR IDIOT COACH WHY MCGEE GOT 4 MINUTES AND SONGAILA 30???????????

THIS GUY HAS TO BE ONE OF THE WORST COACHES I'VE SEEN AND THAT SAYING CONSIDERING WE WENT THROUGH WES UNSELD, GAR HEARD AND LEONARD HAMILTON.

Posted by: insanity999 | January 16, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Larry,

You just talking to yourself in here with all your posts? Good lord...

For once, I will say that Tap really baffled me this game. The Wiz did win in spite of the coaching. If Songalia had been playing well, then I could see giving up the middle the way we did when he was in there. But, he was not playing well and the whole team was struggling for quite some time in the 3rd and start of the 4th. McGee should have definitely seen more burn in this one. His coaching, although not as bad as people in here make it out to be and not any worse than EJ, was pretty bad this game.

How about giving Bill Laimbeer a shot at coaching an NBA team? He's been the best coach in the WNBA for years now. Might not be a good fit with the personnel we have, but he sure would emphasize defense and toughness. Our two weakest areas.

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 16, 2009 10:22 PM | Report abuse

AJ and CB have now been officially assimilated into the walking wounded. It's just a matter of time until all the vets can no longer play due to injury.

Taps, resistance is futile. The youngsters will either win here or go elsewhere and then beat the Wiz. Get with the right program when you still can.

Posted by: Izman | January 16, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

This game was a LOSS for the Wizards.

Why? Because JaVale got 4 minutes. Because Crit got 12 minutes. Because Pech got 0 minutes. Because Caron got 42 minutes. Because James got 36 minutes. Because Antawn got 37 minutes. Because Songaila got 30 minutes, ALMOST ALL OF THEM AT CENTER.

It’s hard to imagine a less effective C than Songaila. But Tapscott got the W, so he undoubtedly thinks he’s onto something. He still thinks it’s about wins, instead of rebuilding and playing the young guys.

Tapscott is, plain and simple, an imbecile. Our young guys aren’t going to get better, because they’re not playing. Ernie won’t know what he has on his team, because they’re not getting a chance to play; thus, he won’t know what moves to make.

So our 3-point shooters got hot at the end, and we won. So what? That proves nothing, but to imbecile Ed, it means everything. LOOK AT DAVID LEE’S LINE. 6-6 shooting, 21 FREAKIN’ REBOUNDS. Songaila was 2-10, and did nothing to slow Lee down. But Taps will surely credit Song’s “veteran savvy” as a key part of the victory.

I hated this game. It was a loss.

Posted by: keithward64 | January 16, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

The Blatche/Songaila situation is insane.

Blatche had a double-double with 4 assists---literally a real shot at a triple double and barely gets PT in the second half.

I actually like Songaila, but its making me sick to see him out there and playing the 5. Complete insanity.

And as much as I hate to say it, Butler is the one who should be benched. He is trying to do way too much and is playing very selfishly.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | January 16, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Tap was right about one thing. We are NOT an uptempo, fast-break team anymore. Haven't been for two years or since GA went down. That is part of the problem. The team is built in that mold, but no longer has the engine to run the way it was designed.

Hopefully, next year we will be back to an in tune machine that can make some noise with added talent from the lottery!

Posted by: rphilli721 | January 16, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Man. I like Songaila.

He probably shouldn't be putting a lot of time in at center. And I'm not saying he should get more minutes than the young guys.

But he does need some credit. He gets a lot of things done that don't show up on the stat line. And he's a smart player.

For example. When he got the rebound in the last minute, he didn't hesitate to turn around and pass it directly to Caron. He knew they were going to foul, and he knew exactly where the best free throw shooter on the floor was. His back was turned to him when he got the rebound, so he had that planned out long before he jumped up to get the rebound. It's a small thing, but they happen all the time.

I like the guy. I'm not saying that he deserves tons of playing time or time at center, but give him some credit.

Posted by: crs-one | January 16, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

So BulletsFan78, what is this Org' doing?

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | January 16, 2009 9:45 PM

This Org’ painted itself into a corner with the Gil and AJ deals. My guess is they are hoping Gil comes back late in the season to show everyone he can play next year and sell you the following for next year?

Starters Backups

Jamison SF McGuire
Blatche PF Songaila
Haywood C McGee
Arenas PG James/Crittenton
Butler SG Young/ DeShawn Stevenson

Bench: OPech, EThomas, and a high draft pick?

Then they need to go out and sign a proven winner for a coach. I think they will probably go with an assistant from one of the teams that make the playoffs; I like Tom Thibodeau from Boston.

With the contracts they are stuck with; they have to make one last stand with the players they have on the roster.

If you are asking about this year I do not have a clue….

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | January 16, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Good win tonight.

A lot of room for improvement on both sides of the court for the Wiz, but this is exactly what the Wiz should be doing to a team like the Knicks.

The crowd got into it too at the end too which was a nice change of pace.

Regarding the stats -- ball-movement is key for the Wiz.

This season they're 5 and 2 when they have more assists than opponents (including tonight +6 compared to -12 in NYC).

They're 1 and 2 when they match their opponents in assisted baskets.

And they're 2 and 27 when opponents have more assists then them.

Shooting percentage follows assists. You could see it tonight with Mike James’s three wide open 3 pointers. Good team win.

Posted by: JPRS | January 16, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Keithward I like where you are coming from:
We got a little hot at the end and the Knicks went cold. Knicks were still getting better shots. They still got to the rim whenever they wanted to. The contrast in these 2 offenses after watching the last 2 games is almost humorous. We make a few passes around the perimeter and somebody goes one on one. While they screen, pick, move, swing the ball around and get lay-ups or wide open threes. With the Knicks' record we know that it is not just their superior execution. Our defense is absolutely pitiful. I don't see how smallball is constantly utilized as a fourth quarter solution. Sadly it gets us all mad at Darius who when used rightly is a solid asset. And now he is back to using AJ in the hole again? amazing!

Young has been sizzling but it has mostly been one on one moves. The offense has no flow.

Needless to say, at this point I think you just play McGee and let him learn on the go. He has huge deficiencies and will make mistakes but those are teaching opportunities. He brings a shot-altering presence down the middle like no one else on the team can. And on offense only he and Etan have the right mentality. All the other big men seldom make power moves. they float, finger-roll, etc. I would love to see a stat comparing the number of dunks we get vs. the number that our opponents get.

I agree that it is time to see what the young ones can do. Crit, Pech, McGee need to be givin the kind of opportunity that Dmac was given this year. AJ and CB need to sit more. It could mean longer careers for them. Start AB at power forward and bring AJ off the bench.

Last but not least, one other thing that really, really irks me but no one seems to mention is the number of sloppy, lackadaisical passes or forced passes that simply shouldn't be thrown. It is a team disease. vets rookies, everybody. We are the worst passers I have seen in the league in many years.

BmoreRev