Butler Turning It Over

Caron Butler is putting up numbers (20 points per game, 6.2 rebounds and 4.4 assists) that are very similar to what he posted last season when he earned his second All-Star appearance. But one area where he's struggling is turnovers.

He's averaging a career-high 3.3 per game and has 34 in the last six games (that includes nine at Portland, six at Miami, seven against the Clippers and six against Memphis).

Some of it stems from playing shooting guard where he's handling the ball more than he would at small forward, and some of it is simply trying to do too much, forcing plays that aren't there, especially late in the shot clock. One thing Butler has never really done is jack up a ton of shots in an effort to carry the team by himself. He typically ranges anywhere from 13 to 20 shot attempts.

"I think it's just trying to make sure that you're getting everyone involved as much as possible instead of just being out there to score," Butler said. "That's what a lot of people do out there at this time of season when they feel like it's just a pipe dream. But I'm still going to play basketball the right way, help my teammates, try to lead them and sometimes, turnovers is the case. Mistakes happen."

By Ivan Carter  |  February 4, 2009; 9:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tuesday Update: Dixon Out
Next: The Other Side: New Jersey Nets

Comments

Ivan were just having a bad season man everybody is not playing there best basketball.Caron just going through a tough time right now Caron is the type of guy that can give you 25 points maybe 7 rebounds he is not like a guy that can put up 40 but that's Gilbert's job to to that.But its tough for him along with Aj

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | February 4, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

CB needs to shoot the 3. ETap should run a few plays to get him going early with the 3 ball.

Posted by: oddjob1 | February 4, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

He needs to only handle the ball when he's about to shoot. A lot of his turnovers are forced passes to cutters. This backdoor Princeton thing isn't working anymore. We're last in the league in assists I believe. This is because we run iso plays for Cb and AJ so often. We give CB the ball and he dribbles and stutter steps in place for 10 seconds before firing up a long jumper. Same with Aj. He gets the ball and dribbles a couple times before shooting. We need another scorer n the floor so that we can allow whoever's open to shoot.
The Mcguire thing was a nice try but it's time to go with a guy that can give us more. In 30 minutes as a starter, he's giving us 5 points, 6 rebounds and a block. It's not enough. NY can do more than that as a starter at the 2 if we put CB back at the 3.

Posted by: original_mark | February 4, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

EG ought to give the coach and the two captains the assignment of getting McGee, Blatche and Young to be solid contributors by the end of the season.

Until the light bulb goes off in these three guys' heads, we'll just see more of the same and no chance for more than 1 and out next year.

Posted by: Izman | February 4, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

"As long as I'm on this team and as long as I'm not doing that and [Butler]'s not doing that, it won't happen," Jamison said. "And I don't want to hear 'Play the young guys and get them ready' either. Nah, I'm not going to be a part of that. It's about going out there and competing with the guys you feel can help you win the game. Of course we've got to have some guys play minutes they wouldn't normally play, but in the words of Herman Edwards: 'You play to win the game.' That's what I plan on going out there and doing."

Folks here is our answer to the question we have all been asking. Ed Tapscott is not the real coach on this team. He is a "talking head". We have what you call a "player coach" (i.e. like Russell did with the Celtics in the 60's).

Read the statement and then compare them to the statements Tapscott spits out before and after games. Tapscott is not going to put his foot down and "anger" the vet's by decreasing their minutes so we will continue to see all of the vet's playing major minutes the rest of the season.

I do not have anything against AJ and I love his game, grit, and never give up altitude. However, this is still a business rather he looks at it that way or not.

That veteran 5 that Tapscott likes to play so much is just flat out boring to watch. To add on to that they still lose every game. With that said, how is the Wizards marketing dept. supposed to get people to re-up on season tickets for next year, much less by single game tickets?

For instance, when EJ was still coaching and giving McGee major run, folks at my job and friends starting asking me (because they know I am a diehard Wiz fan) who is this McGee guy we keep hearing about. Then I would tell them about him and next they they know they wanted to check out Wiz games they normally do not watch and also purchase tickets.

Seeing a lineup of Critt, NY, DMac, AB and McGee would be a nice little run and gun team, much like the Grizz and 76er's, who would be entertaining and most importantly getting vaulable playing time getting ready for next year.

Tapscott, CB and AJ have to realize nobody is looking at them as quitters if they start to develop the young guys now for next season. Heck, it would benefit them to not have to play so many minutes wearing their bodies down.

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 4, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Why is it so difficult for this franchise to inform the fans as to the staus of Gilbert Arenas? When I purchased my seasn tickets I was informed that he would be back no later than December.

I feel like I have been conned by the organization. They have the audacity to still use him in their commercials trying to sell tickets on TV. And what type of structure or discipline does this group have if it can not get Arenas to comment or play, it seems to me he has qualities similar to Stephon Marbury.

I will not purchase tickets again until I see him on the floor or a revamped group of players that are trying to play team ball.

The real news story with this Organization is not young vs. old, it is what is wrong with the organizational structure of the Wizards and their decison making process. It appears to me as if no one is in charge but Arenas, Jamison and Butler. They simply dictate and do what they want to do.

Posted by: NewManagement | February 4, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I think it's more than worthy to bring up Caron's increased TO's, but to also put it in context: to wit, what we fans are used to from the Wiz the past several seasons is a team that runs the princeton offense better than the current version is. So my theory is, if Caron has more TO's it's likely because the players around him aren't running the offensive sets as correctly as they should, coupled with him playing 2 instead of 3.

The other idea raised here by NewManagement is good. We've heard Gil say what's the point of coming back this year to a team not in the playoff hunt? And while I understand his pragmatism, I still have to question whether he's reacting out of fear of re-injury.

I agree Gil should not come back too soon, but he should strive to come back this season. And season ticketholders (and other paying fans) should have some kind of timetable and/or regular updates regarding his return status.

Posted by: rblav40 | February 4, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

I chalk it up to trying to do too much. CB and AJ are warriors who don't like losing.
I do have a question though. Why is Jamison so adamant against the youngsters getting extended burn? I know he wants to go out every game and try to win, but when does he (or better yet, Ernie) wave the white flag on this abomination of season and let the youngsters get extended burn? Is he afraid that someone might emerge from it and make him expendable? Please ask him this for me Ivan or Mike.

Posted by: CBell29 | February 4, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

CBell29 - I didn't want to say it because I like AJ, but that thought did pop into my mind. What spot does Blake Griffin play again? Oh yea, the "4" spot. Things that make you say, Hmmmmmmmmm??????

Giving the youngsta's extended burn will show we are covered at the 4 and 5 spot with them manning major minutes. Then you add somebody like Griffin where are all of the minutes going to go?

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 4, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Jamison: "And I don't want to hear 'Play the young guys and get them ready' either. Nah, I'm not going to be a part of that."

Ivan, that's the second time in about a month that Jamison said something along the lines of "I'm not going to be part of that." Have you asked him what he means? If not, why not? Will he demand a trade? Will he ask to sit out games if the youngsters are getting too much time?

Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 4, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

After four years of the same offensive philosophy(EJ's) its not suprising that Caron is all of a sudden turnover prone add to that fact he is playing out of position this is not news to anyone.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 4, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Agree 100% Ivan, Caron's play has been sloppy. The other problem is the Wiz do not have a true veteran point guard on the roster. This is something they need deperately along with a coach like Avery Johnson. Tap is doing his best but the guys need to hear a new voice, eventually.

Posted by: Stevie-J | February 4, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

So is AJ saying he does not feel like the young guys can't help them win a game? How can he say that if they are still losing with "the guys you feel can help you win the game (CB, Song, Stevenson, James)".

The right way AJ should have answered that question was "it is team first as far as I am concerned, whoever is producing should be given minutes; be it a veteran or a rookie. It is all about winning. If I am having a bad night or bad string of games I am willing to give up some of my minutes for somebody who is producing"..........

"We have some nice young talent on this team and since the year is not going as we have hoped with the record this is as good as a time as any for the young pups to get their feet wet".

The more I look at AJ's statement I really do see who is running the show, it is not Tapscott it is AJ. I do not think CB is as adament as AJ is about playing the young dudes. I think this is all AJ.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 4, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

If that's the way AJ see it then we have to forget the option of him coming off the bench being the super 6th man in the team. Since last season, I was in favor of starting AB at 4 and AJ coming of the bench to replace either AB, CB or BH. I guess this will also hinder AB's growth.

Posted by: Dave381 | February 4, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

So if Ernie went to AJ and said, "we're gonna give the kids a chance ther rest of the year", would he put up a fight about it? Because what else is there to gain for him? Is he concerned that his precious 20 and 10 status would go away? I'm not for quitting and I applaud his effort but he's starting to sound like a man intent on getting his "numbers". And I hope that's not the case.

Posted by: CBell29 | February 4, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Ivan & Michael hit it right on the nose. Butler is trying to do too much and forcing plays that are not even there; and to make it worse Caron does not realize it and of course it will continue unless he has the intelligence to realize what he's doing and make changes. Caron has the athleticism to be a great one but not the smarts.

Posted by: iamdawalrus | February 4, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Antawn Jamison does not want to hear "Play the young guys and get them ready". That is the most selfish comment I've heard. No wonder they only have 10 wins and it's almost spring. Since Jamison is the leader of the team, the Wizards has taken Jamison's personality: Some scoring but NO DEFENSE.

Posted by: iamdawalrus | February 4, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CBell29 | February 4, 2009 12:38 PM

CBell29 I agree. I think the only way the youngsta's are going to get any run on the regular is what you said in your first sentence. Ernie G. has to go to the team "vet's" and tell them that is how it is going to be. Tapscott is not going to do it because he caters to much to AJ and CB.

I see this maybe happening after the trade deadline or All Star Game which ever comes first. Now to AJ's defense, I think he does not like the way AB conducts himself as far as preparation to the game and NY is always smiling and does not seem like he has a killer instinct.

Now DMac and McGee are the two youngsta's who seem like they take the game serious and they want to improve. AB looks like he is finally getting it, but NY needs to develop a "a mean streak" to his game. Sometimes he plays to laid back, and I think that is what gets AJ upset with him.

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 4, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

More and more, I favor trading CB (preferably) or AJ in order to get a steady PG who can move Gilbert to the 2. I just feel like the team needs a change in that respect.

And no, I don't have any specific trades in mind, but even someone like Delonte West or Jameer Nelson who can distribute and hit 3s would be an improvement over our current guard situation, even with Gilbert in there.

Posted by: Good2bOK | February 4, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The way I see it, Jamison deserves some credit for still caring about winning, giving the situation they're in. It would be easy enough for him to dog it the way a lot of vets on bad teams do and just play out the string. The fact that he still wants to go out and compete every night as opposed to cooling his heels on the bench and collecting his paycheck is a positive.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

The other thing to consider is that if they sit Jamison and Butler and turn the keys over to the kids, they're pretty much assured of ending up with the worst record in franchise history (if they aren't already), which is something I'm certain that Jamison wants no part of.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 12:57 PM

Kal - Yes I agree with your assestment, thats why I like AJ and I still think adding Gil and having the big three back would have us winning games again. But there has to come to a point where Ernie is going to have to see if he is going to keep things status quo and hope Gil comes back next year, or does he have to blow this thing up.

By giving the young players major run Ernie should be able to come to a logical conclusion on what he is going to do as far as making a choice between changing the team or staying put. There just has to be a healthy balance forged between development of the younger players and just not playing out the string.

Again, nobody here will ever call CB or AJ a quitter, we already know what they can do; so lets see what the "other" guys can do so we can know what we need or not need to do for next season.

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 4, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I hear you Kalorama, but I think AJ's commments have a double edge to it. On one hand, he hates losing and wants to do whatever he can to win, and win now. But on the other hand, he doesn't want to give up his miuntes to find someone that can help him win now. Other than him and CB, ain't nothing out there! So why not try NY in the starting lineup? Why not try Mcgee? Hell, Crittenton can give us something more than what James is giving us! But AJ's comments seems as if he's more satisfied with get steady play from James who can give you 5 points, 1 assist, than erratic play from Nick, who may not play defense, or rotate on pick n rolls properly (who on this team does anyway!!!), but he can give us 40 on any given night! And why isn't he looking past this "lost" season? he should look toward next year and say, "if we can get the youngsters to play with consistency, and BTH and Gil are healthy, we're right back in the thick of things". Something just doesn't add up in his statements

Posted by: CBell29 | February 4, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure that Grunfeld already knows what he's going to do. I doubt he needs to see anymore of Pecherov missing wide open 3 pointers or McGee getting outmuscled around the basket or Young setting for fadeaways rather than taking it to the rim to figure out what he thinks of these players.

All of these calls to play the young guys aren't for the benefit of Grunfeld's evaluation. They're for the benefit of the fans' evaluation. And I'm pretty sure that Grunfeld isn't going to make his decisions based on what the fans think he should do.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Re: Nick Young giving the Wiz "40 on any given night" . .

Players who live on a steady diet of jumpshots and rarely take it to the hole for easy baskets or fouls/trips to the line are not guys who will give you 40 on any given night.

As for the rest . . Once again, reality and perception diverge. The fact is (and has been for a while) that the young players are getting playing time. A significant amount of it on a regular basis. Enough for any experienced GM or coach to evaluate what they are or aren't good at/capable of.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I keep saying over and over again, Jamison is the fall guy on this team. Jamison know that Blatche, Songalia, McGuire can take his spot EASILY. That's three DEFENSIVE STOPPERS on the Wizards and Jamison lazy (you know what) will never sacrifice on defense.

YES, it about numbers because all Jamison want is POINTS. Jamison, points don't win game!!! Defense, stopping your opponent, rebounding, second chance points win games. All Jamison does, is, get the ball passed to him and he shoot when no Wizards are around to get the rebound. It's always a hope and pray it goes in...even when Jamison is near the basket he create these weird, unorthodox and pray to go in shots near the basket.

Look, Jamison got very skinny legs, so he's vulnerable on defense. Won't jump, won't box out, won't hustle much on defense unless a teammate get the defensive rebound and still he move too slow for fast-breaks.

Jamison game is designed to be on the Phoenix Suns. The Wizards need to find Jamison replacement because his game is strictly points.

Posted by: clifton3 | February 4, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"The fact is (and has been for a while) that the young players are getting playing time."

Really? You know what's funny? It seems like the only time a young player gets any "significant" playing time is when Ivan does a feature on him. Think about it. Crit was buried on the bench til his piece hit the paper. Same with Nick. Same with Mcgee (although he benefited from Etan going down). And even Pesh!

Posted by: CBell29 | February 4, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"It seems like the only time a young player gets any "significant" playing time is when Ivan does a feature on him. "

Once again, reality and perception diverge.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clifton3 | February 4, 2009 1:39 PM

Maybe the old Phoenix Suns, the Suns you see now are all about setting up the offense (half-court) and playing defense - which is why Shaquille O'Neal is having his best season since '06.

But I agree with you, Jamison was best fit for that style of offense: Jamison = Marion

Posted by: RedDMV | February 4, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 1:26 PM

kalo_rama:

You must be a plant, because your analysis never includes a ralistic assessment of the entire team only a critique of the deficiencies of the Wizards younger players. You never have positive things to say about AB, JC or McGee (I'll agree that Pecherov does not have league talent) or speak to he glaring deficiencies of Caron Butler and Antwqain Jamison (they play no defense, they don't share the ball and they don't make their teammates better). Andray Blatche has shown that he has NBA skills and McGee clearly has the kind of potential and athleticism that is rare. Jamison's excessive minutes retards Blatches development.

There is nothing unreasonable about Jamsion and Butler playing 35 minutes a game rather than 40-45 minutes a game. Hell they play more minutes than star players on good teams. If they played less minutes perhaps they would have energy for the defensive end and could focus on making less turnovers and shooting every time they touch the ball. One constant throughout this entire season is that they have played virtually every minute of every game (take out garbage time) in this 10-38 season.

THEY ALONG WITH TAPSCOTT AND GRUNFELD OWN THIS RECORD.

I CAN ONLY HOPE THAT GRUNFELD EVALUATES THE ENTIRE TEAM WITH A LOOK TO THE FUTURE. THE possible return of Arenas and Haywwood (who is a average center at best) only guarantees mediocrity. This team needs more than that. I don't see how a combination of talented youth and veterans can't coexist, they seem to do it on all other teams. Those that don't develop a strong youth core get old quick like the Detroit Pistons.

Posted by: NewManagement | February 4, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 1:31 PM

Kal - Sorry my man, but I have to disagree. When is it on a regular basis? If you want to say they all see at least 4 to 5 mins a game then I will agree. But my definition of regular minutes is when you have a set rotation and certain players come in at certain intervals of the game "every game" and play a certain amount of minutes "every game".

That is how you are able to get a rhythm because you know when you are coming in and how much time you will get for most games. McGee's, AB's, Critton's, McGuires and NY's "significant amount of minutes on a regular basis" is all over the place.

One game they might get 20 minutes then the next two 5 minutes. They are never allowed to play through their mistakes. They have to have a darn near perfect entrance into the game to stay on the floor. Please watch tonight's game and watch when the substitution buzzer goes off.

If McGee, NY, Critt, DMac or AB (still hurt) are on the court and hear that buzzer they instantly look over and start walking over to the bench only to find sometimes the sub is for them and sometimes it is not. On the flip side of that watch the same scenero and watch CB or AJ when the buzzer goes off. They never FLENCH, and never look to see if they are getting substituted for.

Grant you this could be after AJ playing the whole 1st quarter and 6 mins. of the beginning of the second quarter. When on the other hand McGee might come in at the 2 minute mark in the first. Not grab a rebound or miss a box out and "BUZZ" at the 59 second mark the buzzer goes off and in comes Song. to replace him after a quick 1 minute blow.

So I say all of this to say the young players are not getting "REGULAR" minutes, they are getting "fluctuating" regular minutes, not "set" regular minutes; there is a difference......

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 4, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I thought our team looked good for the future, but then when we played the Grizzlies, not to mention we had just played the Sixers and our young guys logged major minutes in both games and they couldn't beat guys their same age, it makes me think.... maybe our young guys aren't that great!

Oh well at least we still have a top 5 pick most likely, hopefully he does something good for us next year.

Posted by: avbanig | February 4, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"You must be a plant"

And based on the out-of-date observations in your writings, you're clearly recently awakened from some kind of vegetative state.

"You never have positive things to say about AB, JC or McGee"

First of all, I'm not required to say anything positive about them, Second, you're flat out wrong. I have, in fact, had nothing but good things to say about Crittenton (aside from noting his lack of a jumpshot, which is simply an observation of fact) since he's actually started getting PT. And I've given McGee props for his positives when he's displayed them, just as as I've criticized him for his negatives. As for Blatche . . . I think he's a soft, lazy, overweight coaster who's wasting his considerable talent. And, as far as I'm concerned, that is saying something nice about him

"Jamison's excessive minutes retards Blatches development."

Last I checked, (A) Blatche was injured, so cutting Jamison's minutes won't have any effect on him (B) Blatche started every game this season before he got hurt, alongside Jamison so, again, cutting Jamison's minutes would have had no effect on Blatche.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

"it makes me think.... maybe our young guys aren't that great!"

BLASPHEMY!!

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"But my definition of regular minutes is when you have a set rotation and certain players come in at certain intervals of the game "every game" and play a certain amount of minutes "every game"."

By that "definition" then the only players in the NBA who ever play regular minutes are the elite ones, because they're pretty much the only ones to whom those kind of "rules" apply. Every other player (esp. rookies and role players) plays differing minutes based on how the game is going, how the players ahead of them are doing on the floor, and any number of other considerations.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

There are six teams with winning records in the Eastern Conference. Here are the total phycial dimensions and blocks per game for the front lines on those teams

Atlanta: 8' 4", 725 lbs., 3.78 bpg
Boston: 8' 4", 768 lbs., 3.30 bpg
Cleveland: 8' 8", 756 lbs., 4.00 bpg
Detroit: 8' 5", 690 lbs., 2.62 bpg Cleveland: 8' 8", 756 lbs., 4.00 bpg
Miami: 8' 2", 728 lbs., 1.93 bpg
Orlando: 8' 7", 715 lbs., 3.94 bpg

Here's the data for the Wizards current starting lineup of Songaila, Jamison, and McGuire

Wizards: 8' 3", 703 lbs., 1.21 bpg

To put that bpg in perspective, Dwayne Wade by himself averages 1.5 bpg - more than our whole starting "front line". These guys are undersized and no threat to anyone coming down the lane. Even Miami, who is know to be undersized, has a better defensive front than ours. That's why McGee should be in more, and why when Blatche gets back they should play in tandem more. The lip service to defense is a joke

Posted by: joecallender20770 | February 4, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Jamison's excessive minutes retards Blatches development."

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 3:08 PM

BLATCHE CAME OFF THE BENCH FOR THE FIRST 15-10 GAMES AS THOMAS AND MCGEE WERE THE STARTING CENTER THROUGH EDIE JORDAN AND THE BEGINNING OF THE TAPSCOTT ERA. THE POINT IS THAT BLATCHE IS NOT A CENTER AND JAMISON HAS PLAYED ALL OF THE MINUTES THIS YEAR AT POWER FORWARD. ITS CLEAR THAT THEY PLAY THE SAME POSITION.

Posted by: NewManagement | February 4, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 3:17 PM

Again watch the game tonight and I guarantee you both of them play the entire 1st and 3rd quarters. Then CB comes out the beginning of the 2nd and AJ plays until the 7 or 6 min mark and CB comes in for him. AJ then gets a quick 2 or 3 min mark and he is right back in there.

Fast forward to 2nd half. AJ now comes out at the beginning of the 4th quarter and CB stays until the 6 or 7 minute mark of the 4th and AJ comes in for him. Then CB gets a 2 to 3 minute blow and he is right back in there.

And we are wondering why the dude is making massive turnovers every game and mostly in the 4th quarter. Too many minutes. Those type of minutes only belong to the elite as you said such as LaBron, Kobe, Howard, Dirk, Wade, and maybe Mello and a healthy Gil.

I still say having a good idea where you are coming in each game and have a good guess on how many minutes you play will transfer to more confidence and better production. All I saying is this "vet" gets everything is not a good way to manage folks if you want to be sucessful and build for the future.

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 4, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"So AJ and CB are elite players? They sure the heck both play the entire 1st and 3rd quarters of EVERY GAME and most of the following quarters. That sounds like regular minutes at set intervals to me?"

They are as far as this franchise is concerned. They're multiple all-stars and far and away the franchise's best players. So they play the majority of the minutes. Not exactly a tough equation to figure out.

"And we are wondering why the dude is making massive turnovers every game and mostly in the 4th quarter. Too many minutes. "

There's no cause and effect between his turnovers and his minutes. He's playing the same minutes he always has and is committing more turnovers, so clearly PT isn't the issue. The obvious issue is that he's playing with less skilled players and is trying to do too much by himself, thus he ends up forcing things and making mistakes. Would he turn the ball over less if he played more? Possibly. But he'd also score, pass, and rebound less with no guarantee that anyone else would pick up the slack.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

That statement from Jamison is the closest thing to "I want out" that I've heard him say.

That's been my fear of letting the Tapscott fiasco go on all season. The Kids are playing more, but the team's not meshing. Butler has become a turnover machine, and Jamison and Butler have become almost embarassing to watch when they start whining at the refs.

The leaders aren't leading they're starting to point fingers.

The comment about Jamison fitting with the Suns. Actually he would, defensively Shaq would have his back and the culture of playing with the vets on that team would get some defensive effort out of him.

Shaq and Amare don't fit on the same roster offensively, they both want the ball in the post. And with Shaq there's not room for two in there. Jamison's game would help the Suns spread the floor around Shaq.

I'm not saying the Suns would deal Amare for Jamison, but right now they are shopping Amare and looking for a different power forward to pair with Shaq.

The Knicks could be a logical destination for Amare. Would a three way make sense?

Posted by: flohrtv | February 4, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

"it makes me think.... maybe our young guys aren't that great!"

BLASPHEMY!!

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 4, 2009 3:14 PM

So damn funny.

There is no Calvary coming. I have tried to remain optimistic about some of these guys and still am to a reduced degree for McGee & Critt...greatly reduced degree NY.

The team has mortgaged the future on Gilbert and he is not interested in playing this year. Maybe he will feel like it next year. Maybe he simply can't play anywhere close to where he once did.

The interim coach only with the last game questioned the level of effort of the team.

Clearly the team has been hurt by injuries but they were so last year and yet managed to find an identity. They battled and scrapped their way to a winning record; a truly enjoyable season. This team has no identity, a questionable work ethic and no unity.

Like so many others I have followed this team for many years. At this point I cannot even justify the time I spend lamenting about these conditions on here. I am going to take a hiatus, maybe check in towards the end of the year and if not, perhaps before the start of the next year. I wish everyone well and hope to see this franchise in better shape in the near future. Take care everyone.

Posted by: The_Shadow_Knows | February 4, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The problem is the man who created our offense was fired. He knew how to fit players into the offense to bring out there strengths. He changed the offense to utilize Gilbert's ability. He adjusted it to fit Caron. The offense has 2 guards who do certain things, and 2 forwards who do certain things. He knew Caron was better equipped to do the things the forwards do, and that's why he didn't want to move him to the 2 when it was brought up. In this offense it's the same as moving Caron to the point which no one would suggest, and it's no different.

Eddie Jordan brought this town exciting and winning basketball. Now look at what we've got.

Posted by: Darnell1 | February 4, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Let's just hire Gary Williams, draft Greivis, and get this over with. Go Wizards!

And thanks Ivan for writing out an article about one of the vets.

If the Wizards can string together some wins, I cans till see them making a late season puch for the 8th seed. We need some more optimism on this board. Go Wizards!

Posted by: cj658 | February 4, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse