Obama Coming To See The Wizards?

Rumors circulating around the Verizon Center last night had it that President Barack Obama could be making his first appearance at Wizards game tomorrow night when the team hosts the Chicago Bulls. Obama is a Bulls fan but maybe his energy can help out the Wizards.

A thought on Dan Steinberg's well written piece on the front of today's Post: I was in the building the last two nights, first for Tuesday's Caps/Flyers game and then for last night's Wiz/Sixers game and the difference in atmosphere was stunning. The place was rocking for that hockey game but was flat as a pancake last night.

I went to a few Caps games my first year in town, in 2005, and it was the total opposite. Guess that's what winning can do for you.

That said, there is no way that this can be called a "hockey town" or even close to it. I was back in my native twin cities over the all-star break and on one Friday night, the U of M hockey Gophers played in front of a packed house on campus while the NHL's Wild played in front of a packed house about a 15 minute drive across town in St. Paul.

Meantime, high school rinks all over the cities were packed for those games. That makes a hockey town. This is a town that is really digging a very good team and a special, special player in Alex Ovechkin. It's fun to watch.

By Ivan Carter  |  February 26, 2009; 7:37 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 76ers 106, Wizards 98
Next: Bulls to Visit Obama

Comments

Guess that's what winning can do for you.

By Ivan Carter | February 26, 2009; 7:37 AM ET

Good job Ivan you have discovered the reason Cheap Abe had EG resign Gil and AJ. It wasn't because they can win a championship it was because the general public is easily conned and will spend their money to go and watch a team that is exciting. (who benefits from that)?

Maybe one day you can live up to the Woodward and Bernstein level of journalism and find out the real reason EG hired ETaps?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 26, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Who cares if Obama goes to the game except Cheap Abe. Considering all of the secret service Obama brings with him to the game, this will be Obama's stimulus package to Abe.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 26, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Your last article's headline should have read: Wizards Throw It UP!

Why does Mike James continue to see big minutes here? I just don't get that. Dude should be buried so deep on the bench that he's begging to leave after this season.

"Good job Ivan you have discovered the reason Cheap Abe had EG resign Gil and AJ. It wasn't because they can win a championship...."

Very true, Susan O'Malley was the master of that kind of advertising for years. Now we have to hope for the President to come and he will still be rooting for the other team.

Lame. :(

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 26, 2009 8:33 AM | Report abuse

”While we're talking about jokes, i'd like to hear you talk more about the salary of the average sports journalist. I doubt he makes what qualifies as "good" money. Beat reporters aren't high on the totem pole of a declining industry.
It's unlikely that he completely disregards the bashing. It's a normal thing to take pride in your job, so odds are good he does as well. I'm not saying he cries himself to sleep over it. But it may very well be a dark day when Ivan says eff it, this blog is too much work, the least favorite part of his job, whatever, and gives up the blog to the new kid on the post staff. No need to rush it.
Samson, I admit it was a good one. I figured it was just a matter of time before someone said it.
Regardless, I think it's ridiculous that some people take shots at a guy who they'll never have to face and who can't even defend himself without breaking professional protocol. And for what? Yeah you guys are the cool kids on the blog.
Dump on me all you want. It's the principle. He doesn't deserve to be crapped on, even by an obnoxiously vocal minority who don't feel he merits appreciation.”

Oh man, I really think you are related to Ivan carter. Talk about bashing, go read the Redskins Insider. I’m sure you’d break down in tears to read some of things said about JLC. Nobody on here “bashes” Ivan. As readers, it is our right to critique his work and bad mouth it if we feel like it. Not one person on here has ever taken a personal shot at Ivan, that would be different. Let me explain something to you, taking criticism comes with the territory. Anyone in the public spotlight, whether it be sports, acting, media, etc are well aware of this before they take the job. And I got news for you, I do not know what Ivans salary is, but I can assure you it is handsome. Again he travels half of the year, expensing all of his travel, meals, and lodging. And you’re right, I am sure typing 4 paragraph updates about a basketball team online is SO stressful lol. We should all stop bad mouthing it, before he quits lol. Your totally dillusional if you think Ivan carter gives a rats a$$ what any Wizard fan thinks of him.

Posted by: cj658 | February 26, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78,

The beast is too big and we got to give it a name. Dosen't matter whether it is Dem, Rep, or Ind. In States the political process is so complicated that the people demand simplicity in order to keep up. As you point out all politicians are about the same, but we need a Nametag in order to tell them apart.

At a national level, once in awhile we get a ringer, like Obama, Reagon, Clinton, Roosevelt, Nixon, and the majority of the people will vote accordingly.

The Party Names are a must because they stand for some things that tell the politicians a part. You cannot have complete transparencies because the people would not know who to vote for.

Independents just pick whom they think is the best person for the job. I've always done that at the national level. But at the state level you almost always vote for a Party, because unless you live politics everyday, which most people don't, you will never know the all the politicians on the ballot and thereby you want know which one to vote for. So you vote for a Party.

On a national level everyone has time to get to know the candidate, thereby you see more independent voting.

Independent is more a way of voting than anything else.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 26, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Lame. :(

- Ray

I don't know how old you are of if you remember when the Bullets actually promoted the other teams starts? They would say buy a 10 pack of tickets and you can pick which players you would want to come and see. MJ, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, but it was never one of their players?

Abe found Gil and took a shot. Yes he was exciting and filled the seats for a while. But he proved he can not take a team on his shoulders and lead them to a championship. IMO it was time to turn the page last year and keep searching for the holy grail. Instead Abe bailed on the search and we get to watch this years team?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 26, 2009 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Interim coach Ed Tapscott on that subject: "Flow of the game. Just didn't think there was enough effectiveness there doing the things we need. A flashy dunk does is not neccessarily playing well. You have to look at what is being given up on the other end, what coverages aren't being made...I'm not singleing him out. He wasn't alone tonight. He had some struggles along with a bunch of other guys. We needed execution and I went with the guys I thought would be able to execute the best."

You have to be kidding me right? I see nothing has changed from a few weeks ago with this guy. This dude is single-handledly stopping me from watching my squad on a regular basis. That has never happened to me before, even in the worse of years for them.

To make that statement about McGee has to be on his top 5 of DUMB comments he has made yet. Can he name me one other person on his team that is playing defense the "correct way" other then McGuire????

So how come their shortcomings are not magnified in the media like he did McGee's? What does CB and AJ give you on the defensive end of the floor? Seems to me all they give you is offense, right? How come it is alright for them, but McGee gets called out? Tapscott is a JOKE...!!!

Lastly, I watched most of the game until Tapscott pissed me off so bad with his second half rotations I looked at the rest of American Idol. My question is what happened to AB? He was ripping it in the first half, and then I never saw him get any minutes in the 2nd half?

Let me guess, Tapscott stuck him in the doghouse with McGee right; because of that "behind the back" pass to McGee with which McGee finished with a highlight dunk? That's right, punish the two cats that bought the crowd to their feet.

However if that was AJ throwing the "behind the back" pass to CB and CB throwing it down Tapscott would have been singing their praises........... Dang this dude is one of the biggest HYPOCRITES I have ever seen in my life!!!

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 26, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD.

I could not agree more, our forefathers were smart (in some ways) since they did not let the general public vote. They knew people were either not interested enough or smart enough to know who to vote for. Now, people vote for the president like they do for American Idol.

Enough with the politics and back to talking basketball, at least we have the ACC tourney to look forward to?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 26, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

On a total, but important sidenote:

I watched the Marquette Uconn game last night. I had no desire to see the Wizards get swept by the 76ers. For anyone who watched it, you now know why Hasheem Thabeet is EXACTLY what this team needs. He single handedly makes teams adjust their game plan. 14 points, 15 rebs, 5 blocks. I have never seen a player (in recent memory) change the way an opposing team plays. Marquette could not, and did not drive to the paint at all. Strictly jump shots.

Posted by: cj658 | February 26, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I wish President Obama could get an executive order together to get Tapscott removed from his "seat" as head coach. This dude is a joke. I have always been supporting Ernie G. on all of his moves, but this one having Tapscott as head coach is really starting to rub me the wrong way.

I can only hope Grunfield is doing the "good cop/bad cop" thing where he has Tapscott being the "bad cop" for this season and playing the enforcer role with NY, McGee, Critt, McGuire, and AB. Tapscott will not be here next year coaching, so that leads me to believe the job might go to Randy Ayers.

Maybe Tapscott and Ernie are doing these stupid things to the youngsta's to see how they react and make them mentally tough, thus Randy Ayers can observe them and prepare accordingly. Just a guess....

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 26, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

I agree on the Tappscott post but maybe just maybe the Wiz are stuck with him because he didn't come with a big price tag. The Wiz are still paying EJ and to bring in another big name coach would have entailed a high salary and the top brass did not want to give up any more money. That is the ONLY reason I think Tapscott is tolerated. Hell, maybe Grunfeld himself should have coached the Wiz since they had no intention of hiring anyone else.

Even though the Wiz lost, I still enjoyed the game. The young ones are coming on. Great game for McGuire. I love his game. I also think Critt is going to be something special too as his game develops.

Posted by: ivyleague | February 26, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

"I don't know how old you are of if you remember when the Bullets actually promoted the other teams starts?"

Lol, yeah and I went a few of those games. :)

You would never see any Bullets in the ad's, just the other teams stars.

I actually miss the old Capital Center, dark and dingy as it was. :(

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 26, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I am an EG fan, and I just know that EG has a coach in mind that is under contract to another team right now.
There is no other explanation for the continuous exposure to this coach in sheeps clothing.
Pathetic is what this coach and staff are.
We need a new defensive scheme, and a coach that "sits" whoever does not buy into it, yes even the "supers".
Also I would eat the contracts of DS, ET, MJ and BH...bye bye as a message of commitment to the fans.
I would start JM, AB, AJ, CB and Critt...with AP, dmAC, Dsong, NY and MJ coming off the bench..of course DM for AB switch is possible...but that makes sense for now...players in there best positions, and that can take it to the opoosition, rather than being dictated to.
Of course I know this will not happen, but dreaming is an inexpensive past time.

Posted by: mricklen | February 26, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"I was back in my native twin cities over the all-star break and on one Friday night, the U of M hockey Gophers played in front of a packed house on campus while the NHL's Wild played in front of a packed house about a 15 minute drive across town in St. Paul."

Ivan,

As a credentialed journalist you should be more diligent in your facts. "U of M" is and always will be the University of Michigan. All other "M" state universities (also known as the second-raters) get to go with "U of 'state abbreviation'"

Hail to the Victors!

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 26, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

why would Obama go to see a loser? he needs to go watch the Caps.

Posted by: DER27 | February 26, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Actually they need to fire EG and bring back Jordan since he was the most successful coach they've had in the last decade and when the new coach comes in and doesn't win or get them to the playoff's with the same bunch that Jordan had, then what? By the way Thabeet dared Marquette to drive the lane he changed the Warriors offensive mindset and did any of you see Henderson of Duke? that kid is a poor man's Dwayne Wade he can jump,shoot and he made his teamates better against the Terps last night, he was the difference maker.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 26, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

DARGREGMAG: Although we differ GREATLY about the Eddie Jordan situation, I must say I totally agree with you about Thabeet. Any person who knows basketball saw the way he single handedly forced Marquette to be an outside team. NO PENETRATION. Well said, I totally agree, he is a game changer. For those who think Thabeet is only height, did you see the 7-footer from Duke last night? TERRIBLE! Landon Milbourne who is 6’7 was getting rebounds over him, and blocking him. He was so soft, it was disgusting.

And Henderson is an a$$ hole (see Tyler H incident last season), but he can play ball. By far the most potential on that Duke team, and the only one who has future in the NBA. I never knew he was o athletic, still hate him though, but I’ll give credit where credit is due.

Posted by: cj658 | February 26, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Obama should go to a Caps game.... I wouldn't pay a cent to watch this Wiz team. The Gil signing will haunt this team for years.

Posted by: CapCup | February 26, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I may disagree with some of his ownership moves, but I will never say a bad word about Abe Pollin.

To the people who belittle him with sophomoric and moronic nicknames: do you all have any idea about how much good Abe Pollin has done for DC? Do you all have even the slightest notion of how much charitable work and giving this man has done? What was the last charitable thing that you all did that actually cost you money from your pocket? Oh, that's right, most people can remember that far back.

So fine, criticise Abe Pollin for his ownership moves but please don't attack this good man's character. He truly has done more in his lifetime for others that you all (or me) could ever dream of.

Posted by: playahatah | February 26, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

wow--I rarely check this blog out but you people are ridiculous. Calling Abe cheap? Do you know what Chinatown was like before Abe built the VC with HIS OWN MONEY?? And for years the wiz/bullets were awful and Abe kept paying people; anybody remember the monster contract for Juwan? People who recently moved here, morons, and those with really short memory spans should not be able to comment on a guy like Abe, who already committed more to the city than they ever will.

And Carter, you do a hell of a job, don't listen to these idiots either.

Posted by: jpfterps | February 26, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapCup | February 26, 2009 2:30 PM
=============================
Like he is going to whip out the old American Express Gold Card!!!

Posted by: dkidwell61 | February 26, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

“And Carter, you do a hell of a job, don't listen to these idiots either.”
Posted by: jpfterps | February 26, 2009 2:54 PM

Hahaha, man looks like we have another nose that’s turning brown. Get your head outta Ivan’s a$$. Man you people are jokes, sticking up for a writer who you do not even know. He doesn’t need the approval of any fan in this city, and he will keep doing his job. Again I ask, I dare someone to find a personal attack directed at Carter. Yeah, thought so. So what, some people critique his writing, big deal! And then you have the few idiots (above) who want to stick up for him, like he is going to hook you a$$ holes up with court side seats or something lol! Gat a life.

Posted by: cj658 | February 26, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

cj658,

I'm curious to know how old you are to say you've never seen player change the way opposing teams play, how about Gregg Oden? He was a major impact, granted he missed games due to injury but every team had to adjust their games. Oden ever out played Hibbert in the tournament, Hibbert was riding the pine while Oden was throwing Jeff Green shots in the bench(Thabeet did nothing against Hibbert). Only because Florida had a deep team was Oden contain, causing poor/dumb fouls.

I can name at least 3 to 4 big men players in the last 10 yrs in NCAA who changed the way opposing teams approached the game. Thabeet is not, for my personal evaluation worth a top 3 pick for the Wizards, another team? maybe. But based on the history of UConn's big men in the NBA Boone, Oakafar, (if you think he's making an impact look at how his team performs against the Magic) do reach their expectations. Oakafor was suppose to be the next Mouring, but he has underperformed. Typical UConn's G/F players do well in the NBA R.Hamilton, R.Allen, R.Gay. If I were the Wizards I'd stay away from Thabeet, if he couldn't handle Hibbert he's in serious trouble when he face real NBA stars.

Besides, NCAA is watered down this year, too many freshmen are jumping to the NBA leaving college basketball with weaker teams. UNC has the most talent and is suppose to be the best and they lose to UMD, what the hell is that?

Posted by: rcnasa | February 26, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: playahatah | February 26, 2009 2:36 PM

Posted by: jpfterps | February 26, 2009 2:54 PM

I call him cheap Abe in regards to how he runs the team. It is not a personal shot since I have never met the man.

Is it just me, or does anyone else remember last year when Abe refused to sign players to a 10 day contracts so the team would have enough players at practice? He would not go over the luxury tax, which meant the team ended up practicing with O’Koren and one of the other coaches? How does that make this a better team?

Yes, he built the VC with his own money but the city gave him the land (worth 70 million) at that will make him a big profit when he ends up selling the team. I bet there are a lot of business owners who would build downtown if the DC government gave them land for free.

Tell them to give me a lot at 32nd and M Street and I will build a bar and let people come in and drink and get rich off of other people.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 26, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

bulletsfan78, who was available to sign last year who would have actually have got into games and had a chance to make this year's roster?

rcnasa, I'm old enough that I remember Jabber(Lew Alcinder) from HS ball. I saw Wilt Chamberlain grab a loose ball off the floor and go up and dunk with Jack Marin hanging all over him. Jack was trying to send Wilt to the line because he was one of the worst foul shooters ever.

Old Wilt was so big and so strong he just took a 200+ man up with him and dunked. Probably one of the greatest feats of strength I've ever witnessed on a basketball court.

I've been lucky enough to see most of the game's great bigmen play in both college in the Pro's so I don't throw around phrases like "the next who ever" lightly.

Guys with Thabeet's legitimate size and athletic abilty don't come along in every draft. I wouldn't give up the chance to pick him to get an undersized power forward.

Posted by: flohrtv | February 26, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

cj658:"Thabeet actually knows how to use his height, and effectively demonstrates it. I’m a DIE HARD Terp fan, but the Terps would lose by 50 to UConn simply because of Thabeet. He would SHUT the flex offense down completely, and MD is too small. Any team that relies on penetrating guards are COMPLETELY taken out of their games. Most NBA guards LOVE to penetrate and create offense."

Really? I'm thinking Maryland would actually do OK against UConn -- not win, surely, but give them something of a game. I'm assuming Gary would realize there was no point in trying to drive past the big man and concentrate instead on jacking up a lot of 3 pointers and getting the long rebounds. Neal could then focus on what he does best, which is lean on people and tire them out. Wouldn't have to score a point -- OK, maybe a few free throws.

Gary has a history of beating better teams by frustrating them, and I'm thinking he'd try the same thing against the Huskies. At home, it just might work...

Posted by: Samson151 | February 26, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse