Post-Practice Update

- Caron Butler, who took a fall on his right hip in the fourth quarter last night, did not practice because he's still experiencing soreness. Interim coach Ed Tapscott said Butler likely would've practiced if the Wizards had a game for tomorrow night. They don't play again until Friday night.

-Andray Blatche said his left knee felt "a little sore" but he was able to participate in the entire practice. He had missed nine games after running into Shaquille O'Neal and hurting that knee on Jan. 26.

-Nothing new on the trade front. It appears that the Wizards aren't going to be making a deal mainly because nothing really makes sense. Antawn Jamison, who has drawn interest from the Cavaliers among other teams, said that while he hasn't been directly told that he's staying, he fully expects to stay in DC.

"That's why I signed here last summer," Jamison said. "I just bought a house, so I plan on being here three more years. After that, I might join you guys (media)."

Me: "But that would mean a pretty hefty pay cut."

Antawn: "Yeah, but it beats sitting at home getting fat."

For the record, I'm not so sure about that. The days leading up to the trade deadline make for beat writer hell........

By Ivan Carter  |  February 18, 2009; 2:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wednesday Pre-Practice Update
Next: Stay Tuned

Comments

thank goodness they didnt pull the trigger on that trade, otherwise id just start against the wizards like everyone else in this area..

i do believe we will be better next season, but it starts with who they hire at head coach..

mark jackson?

Posted by: jasperhneyaolcom | February 18, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I don't know that a first-year coach is what this team needs (although I think Jackson will make a solid coach in the NBA). They need someone who will supply direction and steer the ship, but not a dictatorial type. It'll be tough finding a candidate who fits.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

True kalo_rama, not so sure the Lil General's style will sit well with Gilbert.

Posted by: lameotron | February 18, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Fire Ernie and bring back EJ, seriously who knows this team better? They would save eight million in salary they retain a knowledgeable coaching staff and then they can go out and get a GM who's not trying to sabotage a franchise and a coach's career yeah,yeah,yeah I know it sound's crazy but think about it why bring in a stranger and is EJ that bad of a head coach? NO! just know this, he's gonna go somewhere and take a team with potential to the conference finals and we will be stuck with some manical dictator or a neophyte trying to find his way.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 18, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I would think that ridding the team of Jamison's contract would be a wise personnel and financial decision. Let's face it, this team, when fully healthy, is merely a payoff team. It appears that's good enough for Ernie and Abe, but I think that with the right moves, a sucessful draft, and a healthy Arenas, they can be an Eastern Conf. contender in two years. If they keep Jamison, then they can't improve through free agency.

Posted by: ZardsFan1 | February 18, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Did Gilbert practice?

Posted by: burnsrb | February 18, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

yeah if the cavs really want jamison they better offer alot more than just wally lol

they need to win a ring now or labron is bye bye New York ba ba baby lol

we are all right
with our young guys gettin good experience and the our team finally healthy
plus at a high draft pick like Hardin we are set

gilbert - javaris - james
hardin - young - stevenson
caron - mcguir - songalia
jamison - blatch - pech
haywood - mcgee - etan

Posted by: jahbless420 | February 18, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Watched EJ's interview last night. He listed "skilled center" as among the top 5 wishes that he had on how to improve Wizards' roster. I wonder who he has in mind, Shaq? Oh BTW, Brad Miller is available now, maybe EJ would like to have him. LOL

For guys who complains about Abe being cheap, I am surprised by NO trading Tyson Chandler to save a few bucks while they are still in contention for post-season run! As for the Thunders, I know they want a center, but I think Tyson Chandler would not be able to repeat what he did for NO without PG like CP3!

Posted by: sagaliba | February 18, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Oh the other four wishes EJ mentioned are: a defensive front-line, "meaner front-line" (he mentioned PJ Brown as an example), a PG who is "quick on both ends," and I simply forget about the forth one, need someone to help jar my memory. :)

Posted by: sagaliba | February 18, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

As much as I hate to say it, dealing Jamison is probably not that bad of an idea. He has a monster contract and if we can get Griffin out of the draft we'll have a 4. That way we can clear up some cap space. Starting lineup next year, Arenas, Young, Butler, Griffin, Haywood. I would have no problem with that.

Posted by: tonytroese | February 18, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I am taking all bets that with this core BTH, AJ, CB, and Gil will never win a NBA chapionship. They might not even win a WNBA championship.

I agree with you ZardsFan1, Ernie and Abe are happy merely being a payoff team, that gives Abe two playoff games at home (since they get knocked out in the first round).

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Press "Submit" too quick, it was "a 3 point shooter" that he wanted.

Recap:
1. defensive front-line,
2. "meaner" front-line,
3. 3 point shooter,
4, quick PG, and
5, skilled center.

Posted by: sagaliba | February 18, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is so damn sure of themselves that we can't make it out the first round. Health has been the main reasons why we couldn't get out of it 3 years in a row, minus the crab dribble of 2006. We've been robbed of playoff pushes because of health/LeBron the cheater, not because of our roster. Suck it up and ride with the ship, even if the weather sucks right now. Fairweather be damned!!!

When I was kid I tried to get into the Bullets in the 80s and 90s. I wanted to but everytime I turned on the game WE WERE ALWAYS THE TEAM LOSING. There was never a lead. 4 years of playoffs and everyone is fiending like crack addicts over a lack of healthy bodies. We will make a push in the next few years...barring injuries

Posted by: BurgwithaU | February 18, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sagaliba | February 18, 2009 4:13 PM

I am not George Shinn is worth 100 million, he and ABE (180 million) can not compete with the billionaire owners. That is why neither Abe nor George will let their GM's go over the luxury cap.

The advantage OKC has is they were willing to trade Ray Allen and his 17 million salary and rebuild through the draft. They have some very talented young players with a payroll of 65 million.

If you are an owner of an NBA team and you refuse to go over the luxury cap the only way to win a championship is through the draft and great MLE free agents who want to come and play for a tean they believe has a chance to win a championship.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2009 3:07 PM

You highlight this franchise's problem, rather than focus on winning, the focus is on ameniability and having "professional" players who are good in the locker room. Arenas, Jamison and Butler run this franchise and that is why they will be perennial losers. This ridiculous culture will only change with new leadership. You damn staright they need someone like Avery Johnson to finally push these guys into playing ball the right way.

And really what leverage do they have ("the Big Three"), other than to demand to be traded. For everyone who pontificates the downside of losing either Jamison or Butler, go look up the standings (12-42). The majority of the 12 wins are either home wins or wins against terrible basketball teams. The Wizards, led by their supposed All Star caliber players, don't have one signature win to point to. On top of that they are one of the most boring teams in the league. They really can't be much worse. The Wizards this year are the worse team in basketball because all of the other teams with comparable records are led by young players who gained valuable experience.

Of course they should trade either Jamison or Butler if they can find reasonable or strategic value for them. The 12-42 record is a testament to their value as players who take over half the shots and play almost every minute of every game. Part of the "veteran meritocracy" that Tapscott espouses. But most importantly, the first priority is to find a coach who can change the culture of this franchise. Your healthy Wizards squad that Grunfeld is trying to con everyone into beleiving will compete for the Eastern Conference Title next year, is several years older and will likely be even worse defensively. A Recipe for mediocrity.

Posted by: NewManagement | February 18, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I must state up front that I did not see the EJ interview and need to go back and watch it. However, when I hear his list of "wants for the Wiz," let me ask anyone, who in the NBA wouldn't want those players? Few or no teams, maybe BOS, LAL, and CLE may be the closest to having those players.

So, what EJ is saying is that if he had a roster like the Lakers, Cavs, and Celts, he could contend? I sure hope so! Obviously, there is still bitterness there, especially when it comes to Haywood. I can undestand him bashing EG, but BTH helped make him look good last year, providing decent interior defense and size. I believe he came in 5th in coach of the year balloting last year, mainly because we overachieved w/o GA.

Like I said, did not see it, and my opinions may be skewed, but this seems like the consensus on here.

Ron

Posted by: faninAlex | February 18, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

That Chandler trade is crazy.

OKC is building a good team. A starting line with four top 5 picks. With Westbrook, Green, and Durant the team already has plenty of scorers. Chandler adds a good inside presence.

They didn't give up much to get him.

West and Paul can't be happy about the move.

Posted by: JPRS | February 18, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

West and Paul can't be happy about the move.

Posted by: JPRS | February 18, 2009 4:57 PM

You are right and now every player in the NBA knows George Shinn is another cheap owner. He cares more about the bottom line then winning a championship and what good player would want to go and play for an organization like that?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 18, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't disagree with Ed Jordan that the future of the Wiz as presently constituted isn't particularly bright. But I'm not sure there's anyone they can reasonably be expected to trade that will change that forecast.

You've heard it all before, right on this board. Jamison's already 32, Arenas has an injury history. Both have hairy contracts that few teams would even consider. Butler could be moved, but for who?

At some point the discussion deteriorates to dumping salary.

And the draft choice -- the one thing NBA people seem to agree on, is that this is not a strong year. Good players, yes. Superstars, no.

So we're back to hanging on to the stars and hoping for a really, really lucky draft.

Are we as good as Grunfeld insists we will be next year? I don't see how he could believe that for a moment. He's not a stupid man. He has to know that Ed Jordan has a point, no matter how much Grunfeld disagrees with the way he expresses it.

We need some luck.

Which leaves the draf

Posted by: Samson151 | February 18, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I really don't think this deal hurts the Hornets much. Chandler hasn't been able to sustain what he did last season into this one. The Hornets are closer to being out of the playoffs than they are to being atop the West, and their odds of passing San Antonio to win the division are slim. Chandler didn't do anything on offense that Wilcox and Smith can't replace, and defensively, although he made the occasional highlights with a block, Chandler wasn't exactly a lock down defender. Because he played with such animated energy, he often looked like he was doing more than he really was.

Before he hooked up with Paul, Chandler was never anything better than serviceable. I really think Paul made him look a lot better than he is. If so, he should be able to do the same for Wilcox or Smith. If he'd shown any sign of keeping up his production and consistency from last year, then maybe this deal would be a big blow for N.O. But he's struggled this season with consistency and injury the same way he had before coming to the Hornets.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

If they don't trade Jamison, they sure as hell better not claim later to have a money problem and then trade away their top choice. That pick could be someone to build the future around. Jamison is a nice player, but he's old, and he's certainly no longer a player to be a key guy on a championship team.

I understand they want to be patient and see how they can do with everyone healthy, but doing that at the expense of the future would be disappointing. Getting back to what they used to be isn't enough, because the rest of the East has improved quite a bit over the years.

Posted by: Giveussomehope | February 18, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Jordan seemed to be saying on one hand that he liked the Wizards players, on the other hand "I needed 5 more starters". It was interesting that he said that at the time he thought his firing was the right move.

He sure looked like an unhappy camper at the beginning of the season.

The only way that the Wiz would make any Wally World deal would be if Ernie was able to flip wally to another team looking for cap releif. I can't see the Wiz giving Jamison or Butler to the Cavs for cap space.

But it's interesting that a Jamison/Wally S. deal made Sports Illust. and ESPN. I got it from my delivery truck driver from Cleveland back in December and posted it here. I think that's about half a hoot. If Ivan and Micheal would have been reading their own blog they could have scooped the big boys!
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | February 18, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

The Chicago Bulls and Sacramento Kings have reached tentative agreement on a trade sending Andres Nocioni, Drew Gooden and Cedric Simmons to the Kings for Brad Miller and John Salmons.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 18, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

If Thabeet is the "Bill Russell of our times", how good is Blair?

I still like Thabeet, that was the worst game I've seen him play in two years on Monday night. The early takedown could have thrown him off for the night. And Blair also got a lot of good shoulder bumps in on Thabeet that normally get called.

If Thabeet is to be worth a top 5 pick, he needs to come out and win round two at Pitt. Big East basketball, it's seperates the men from the boys this time of year.

Blair does look a little like a really young Wes Unseld in the old Baltimore Bullet days.

I hope Ernie's scouting all of this closely, sure Blake Griffin is probably the top pick. But if Ernie doesn't get that pick, the choice is going to take some careful scouting.

I will agree with Jordan, we need a tough guy up front.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | February 18, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Just like the Caps of the mid 21st century, I will be sitting out the next couple of years as the Wiz rebuilt.

In this economy, I can't afford to be a paying supporter & my time is also worth a heck of a lot more these days.

ahhh - I long for the Elvin & Wes days.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 18, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Oh, so that's why Cleveland wants him so bad...

Posted by: jones-y | February 18, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Good points bulletsfan78 and kalo_rama regarding Chandler. It'll be interesting to see how the deal works out.

Posted by: JPRS | February 18, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

flohrtv: "There are more good players in this draft then the "experts" are seeing. Many guys have Monroe as their #2 guy. Yet Blair from Pitt has out played both Monroe and badly out dueled Thabeet.If Thabeet is the "Bill Russell of our times", how good is Blair?"

Just a couple comments. First, Thabeet isn't the Bill Russell of this time or any other. Second, Monroe is a solid year away from NBA ready, and nobody does him a favor by pretending otherwise. Third, Blair is a very good college basketball player who will probably have a lot of trouble in the pros unless he plays alongside a tall center.

The NBA is a hype machine, and so is the Internet when it comes to draft candidates...

Posted by: Samson151 | February 19, 2009 1:44 AM | Report abuse