Long Practice, Arenas Participates

The team went through a lengthy practice long on scrimmaging this afternoon as it looks to shake off last night's 106-98 loss to the 76ers and get ready for tomorrow night's game against the Chicago Bulls.

All of the usual players partcipated, including Gilbert Arenas though Arenas again declined to speak to the media on hand. (He spoke to me the other day for the story I wrote for yesterday's paper). I did see Brendan Haywood doing some one-on-one work against volunteer assistant Tony Massenburg after practice but he booted me from the gym when I tried to get a prolonged peek. Oh well.

President Obama is expected to be on hand for tomorrow's game against the Bulls.
Interim coach Ed Tapscott: "He's the first man so if he wants to draw up a play, I'll certainly take it. I know he's a Bulls fan but I figured he has to be professionally neutral. He is a resident of Washington, D.C., now. So, that would be terrific. Obviously that adds great atmosphere for the fans and for our franchise and even our players."

-I can confirm that the Wizards are not among the 15 teams that will be taking a part of that $175 million loan the NBA took out to augment an existing credit line. That vibes with what I reported here around the trade deadline: Abe Pollin has made it through the financial crunch in pretty good shape and the franchise is in good financial condition.

-A word to the folks who read this blog and sometimes wonder whether I get upset over critical posts. I don't. In fact, I'm all for readers having a critical eye toward the coverage we provide. Just keep reading please.

By Ivan Carter  |  February 26, 2009; 4:51 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bulls to Visit Obama
Next: The Other Side: Chicago Bulls

Comments

Ivan, things could be worse, you could be the beat reporter for the Rocky Mountain News! GM

Posted by: flohrtv | February 26, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Ivan,

Are any current coaches rumored as a possibility to take over for Tapscott. I know it's early but is there a feeling around the team that anyone in-house will be promoted?

I assume if Ernie hires an outsider the entire current coaching staff will be let go.

That must be causing some stress around the coaching staff. There must be some chatter.

What are you hearing?

Posted by: read2 | February 26, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Van Gundy.

You heard it here first folks!

Posted by: jones-y | February 26, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

It all makes sense now. If Obama's there, look for Gil to play.

That's why Gil tells ETaps to hush up the practice thing, and then announces it himself days before what could be the first Wiz game Obama attends...

Its a bit of a leap I know, but it wouldn't be out of character...

Posted by: jones-y | February 26, 2009 5:06 PM

Posted by: jones-y | February 26, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Someone a couple of blogs back spelled HOF Karem-Abdul-Jabar name incorrectly, now let me state this without hesitation YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!!!! GO TO NBA.COM AND GET IT RIGHT You are talking about a college/pro icon a man who forced the NCAA to outlaw the dunk when he played at UCLA, He won three Ncaa championships.Jabar,Russell,and Wilt probably three of the greatest players regardless of position to play the game!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 26, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I would love to get Van Gundy as our next coach. It seems like he is enjoying retired life way to much right now to come back to coaching. Although I do remember a broadcast where he couldn't stop doting on Gil.
Its tough for a franchise like the Wiz to attract any top coaching talent. How about a guy like Patrick Ewing who has expressed interest in becoming a head coach
or Bill Laimbeer who has been coaching in the WNBA and wants to coach in the NBA.
Ivan I bought league pass this year halfway through the season to watch a struggling wiz team cause I love them so much. I really appreciate your continued coverage. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: AWizinLA | February 26, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Tom Thibidoe for coach.

Posted by: wizfanatic | February 26, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

"Just keep reading please."

You're alright Ivan....and so is that other guy who writes about everyone else EXCEPT the Wizards. ;)

Honestly, the Wiz are going to bring back people and mess up thier lottery chances. Tell Gil and Brendan to stay away a little longer so we can look at Griffin next year. :P

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 26, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I would love to get Van Gundy as our next coach.

EWWWW! NO!

I would not be able to stand looking his hair plugs all year. Besides, his brother is the better coach, and Jeff shafted Washington to go to Houston a few years back if I remember correctly.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 26, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, you did point out what appears to be contradictions and more of the same. But, if that was really the case, why did every single Republican in the House vote against the Stimulus package?"

Again, would you sign something that you had zero time to read it beforehand?

"And all those cronies from the Clinton Administration, the last time I checked, the country, the whole country, was doing pretty damn good under that Administration, even the quarter million dollar crowd and above."

Clinton rode the dot.com wave, and the dot.com wave started going bust as he was exiting.

Don't forget, 9/11 happened because Clinton fell asleep at the wheel during his 2 terms.

"I was in the Military doing the Clinton Administration and could not keep track of the conservative Republicans that made a killing on the stock market but badmouthed President Clinton with every breath. Made no Damn sense."

Everybody made a killing because of of the dot.com wave. That's why they call it capitalism.

Right before leaving, Clinton of course pardoned his brother in law, and Mark Rich. Bush didn't even pardon Scooter Libby, as most liberals thought he would.

"The POTUS picking the Clinton crowd is to much like right, like picking a Damn Good Coach."

So right that people were backing out left and right after it was revealed they had ethics issues. I guess that's like picking a pee wee football team and then realizing some of those kids were high schoolers.

"You learn from history, if somebody was successful at doing something you might want them on your Team. Whats wrong with that."

Like how Clinton picked Greenspan, who just happened to admit that he dropped the ball in not predicting this recession?

Like how Clinton slept while Al-Quaeda planned 9/11?

Maybe Clinton was too tired b/c of Monica.

"Yeah, I know, some Republicans hated the Clintons and still do. Pity on them. They need to get over it and do whats right for the country as well as someone needs to do whats right by the Wizards.

Can you feel me DC_MAN88?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 26, 2009 12:13 AM ""

Biden said during the debates that the job of the president doesn't allow the luxury of on the job training. I guess he was right.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 26, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I am not sure a defensive specialist head coach would want to come here. Look at what Tom Thibodeau did. He took a look at the defensive talent and left.

I hope the Wiz pick an experienced coach with a winning record. They need to spend money on a proven coach and staff. Maybe Flip Saunders would be a good fit. In his past jobs he has been good for the players and fans, and he makes the playoffs.

If the coach doesn't have a winning record, the choice will be a mistake!

Posted by: JoeC2 | February 26, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Why would Abe need a loan when DC just gave him 50 mil not too long ago for a jumbotron and upgraded luxury boxes that are empty?

Also, the loan to the NBA came with a very high interest rate. I'm sure Abe can do better if he needed one.

Abe don't pay lux tax, and abe don't pay interest.

He'll just scale back operations and investment in the team.

Karl Hobbs will be hired as coach for $15k and a big mac.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 26, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Ivan---Glad you don't get upset------no I'm not.
It's not personal.
We just would like more "INSIDER" info ---even if it's wrong.
Nobody else here seems to care about getting anything right.

Posted by: VBFan | February 26, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Can we leave the politics aside, DCMAN and Larry? You've got the whole rest of the site for that...

Posted by: Samson151 | February 26, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

For the record Leonard Hamilton in 2000-2001 as the Wiz head coach won 19 games out of 82. Will the Wiz beat his record this year?

In Avery Johnson's worst season as head coach he won 51 games. His winning percentage was .735. I think that the quality of players had something to do with that.

Flip Saunders winning percentage as head coach in the NBA was .597.

If a coach had a good winning record elsewhere, the Wiz odds are much better.

Who would be compatible with Arenas? I think Flip.

Posted by: JoeC2 | February 26, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Samson151, I had apologized when Rphilli chastised me three blogs back for going political.

But that was before DC_Man got his last comment in and then copied ahead to this blog.

Maybe DC_MAN missed that I had apologized.

DC_MAN, everthangs cool though, I told you that I've always thought your blogs were good. But we all know that the two most dicy subjects to discuss is Politics and Religion.

Thats why I apologized when Rphilli hollered.

Coincidental and Funny. What about that, Huh?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 26, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Considering that the Wiz are probably not even going to get to 20 wins, I've got to wonder why Taps is continuing to play Butler and Jamison so many minutes every night. He's just wearing them down and risking more injuries for no good reason. And it makes no sense whatsoever to keep McGee on the bench. He and Blatche ought to be out there as much as possible--that's the only way that they're going to improve. I'd also give Pecherov a chance. It certainly seems as if the organization has given up on him, but they ought to at least see what he can do before they let him go back to Europe.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | February 26, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, many years ago I wrote a column for a daily newspaper. It was my job to provide the words, but my editor chose the pics and wrote the headlines. If that is still the case, and you have an editor choosing the pics, is there any way that we can convince him/her that this is the WASHINGTON Post. The hometown newspaper should use pics that are FAVORABLE to the WASHINGTON team. As you well know, last night Dominic McGuire had a great game; 14 rebounds and a couple of dunks to go with his 14 points. You would think that the editor of the hometown newspaper would choose a pic of him succeeding, but NO, we get a pic of him having his shot blocked. Just more negativity when we could use some positive reinforcement.

Posted by: getabigboyoffense | February 26, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

arenas should be back by the end of the season. as for tomorrow night, arrive early. security will be tight.

Posted by: wizinsider | February 26, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

"But isn't it so coincidental that after all that back and forth DC_Man and I did last night and Rphilli says this is a sports blog and to cut the politics. The very next blog is "Obama Coming To See The Wizards?"

Coincidental and Funny. What about that, Huh?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 26, 2009 8:48 PM "

Kind of reminds you of the Susan O'Malley days. People coming to the games to see the opponent.

Secret service won't have to worry though. Nobody shooting with any kind of accuracy in the phone booth.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 26, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

DCMAN88: That last post had me and my daughter(she's 16) LOL!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 26, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

NO JEFF VAN GUNDY OR FLIP SAUNDERS; Gil would chafe under the controlling Van Gundy(i like him just where he is; (on tv) ) Saunders is the white Eddie Jordan(just not as smart) might as well bring EJ back if you're gonna hire Flip, ok here's whats bothering me about a new hire can he actually coach i mean can he a draw up a play at crunch time(LIKE EJ COULD) can a new hire coach practice and teach like EJ did(how do you think the Nets got to the finals when Byron Scott was head coach? hint it wasn't Scott drawing up the x's and o's it was EJ)Fire Grunfeld and bring in a new GM and coach.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 26, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I understand the buzz among the coaching under-employed is that Ernie has stated that one of the criteria for the next Wiz coach is that he must have NBA finals experience...so its a pretty short list.

my prediction on GA playing this season: 12 games, max. As for BTH: 0.

Posted by: oddjob2 | February 26, 2009 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Ivan, appreciate your comment about you're not being upset about any blowback regarding your coverage. You just need more support form the your editors and the columnists. Wilbon, Wise, etc. need to call out this franchise, not so much for the lousy season that's clearly the result of injuries, but because they never seem to level with the fans about what's going on, what they're thinking, and what the plan is. I'm talking about inside info on sensitive trade discussions, but what they're trying to do. There's got to be more thinking going on besides wait until Gilbert and BH get back. Specifically, what type of coach does EG want to run this thing? He's got to have a short list.

Posted by: jweber1 | February 26, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

"DCMAN88: That last post had me and my daughter(she's 16) LOL!!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 26, 2009 9:30 PM "

Cool.

You're a brave man for letting your precious daughter read some of the crazy stuff written here. ;D

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 26, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Construtive criticism I've always been told is a good thing.

And yes the organization should be more forthcoming about the real goings ons' behind the scenes. Yes, there are times when organizations cannot show there hand, but the Wizs never come out with anything, even when the issue is moot.

Give me an official statement from the Wizard Organization as directly related to The Team at least once a month. Maybe they do and I'm just missing it.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 26, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Although I did not see your response Larry, I appreciate it. Thx!

We can debate the Wiz all day, but that is what this is for...the rest belongs somewhere else.

Yeah, Obama at the phone booth! I look forward to the game bc I think the crowd and both teams will be more energized. Hopefully, it results in a good game.

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 26, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

"Jweber1, I'm with you. Not only should the Post columnist be more straight about the Wizs, but also, Phil and Steve also should be more tactfully critical of the whole mess on the court they have to call every game.

Construtive criticism I've always been told is a good thing.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 26, 2009 10:20 PM "

One thing I posted yesterday that nobody talked about was Gilby's visit to a specialist in Miami who was able to improve his knee's range of motion, according to him, from 50% to 90%.

Again, what is up with Les BouleS medical staff?

--------------------------------------------

Arenas said he experienced stiffness in the area behind the knee until late January, when he met with a knee specialist in Miami. The specialist, according to Arenas, was able to identify the problem and improve the range of motion in the knee. "I went from 50 percent to 90 percent overnight," Arenas said. "Then I've just been able to steadily increase the amount of stress without experiencing any problems. Now, I'm just pushing it, pushing it, pushing it, just testing to see how much I can do and it feels good."

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 26, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

Hey Ivan,

FIX THE RSS FEED FOR WIZARDS INSIDER.

The articles take you to the wrong link, which cannot be opened.

Posted by: iamse7en | February 26, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

It's simple.

Nobody is talking about his visit to a knee specialist bc it's not an issue!

No team employs a knee specialist full time and, therefore, he went to a specialist to help his recovery.

There are instances in the past with the franchise that would lead someone to look at the medical staff and the care given. But, GA is not one of those cases. Remember his second surgery was a result of him not listening to the medical staff of the team!

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 26, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

What I want to know is what the knee specialist did to improve Gilbert's knee so substantially? An improvement from 50% to 90% mobility is pretty significant!

Posted by: MeviousMan | February 26, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

"Remember his second surgery was a result of him not listening to the medical staff of the team!

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 26, 2009 11:07 PM "

Didn't he have a 3rd surgery at the end of last season after he dragged his leg around for those last few games just to get max money?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 26, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I agree the insider information we need is what did this doctor in miami do to gilbert where he went from 50-90% overnight. I remember D-Wade got some outpatient treatment for his knee where they shocked it and its supposed to promote blood vessel growth. Electrolysis maybe its been a while. Seemed to have done wonders for D-Wade. Give us the real scoop Ivan.

Posted by: AWizinLA | February 27, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

By Ivan Carter | February 26, 2009; 4:51 PM ET

Ivan, I didn’t think you wasted your time reading this crap we right on here? Can we write you some questions for you to ask the players, coaches, GM and Abe?

That's the advantage of not going over the luxury tax. You make money in this league. I will quit calling Abe cheap (since he does some good things in the community) but don’t think for a second he didn’t buy the Wizards and built the VC as an investment (sorry one last jab).

If he is willing to do two things in the off season…….

1. Keeps the pick if it’s in the top 3 and signs him or trade downs. I could live with Tyler Hansbrough in the mid first round. If they could make a trade that allows them to sign him and pickup a vet that can help them, and moves some bad salaries.

Example,

Wizards trade NY, DS, DS2, MJ, and OP to Detroit for Hamilton and Brown. That would be good starting lineup when healthy. Gil PG, Rip SG, CB SF, AJ PF, BTH C?

2. Sign a good coach and don’t let money be the main factor in who you hire (it doesn’t go against the cap). Don’t blame me that he still owes EJ bucks. I didn’t just resign him and let him go 11 games into the season. EG! Bring in a coach who style fits the players on the roster.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 27, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Interim coach Ed Tapscott: "He's the first man so if he wants to draw up a play, I'll certainly take it."

Ivan, do you have an email address for Obama so we can suggest some rotations, plays, playing time allotments, strategies, etc for him to relay to Tapscott?

The only way that McGee gets more than 6 minutes is if Obama personally requests it and even then, i imagine Tap would still be reluctant.

Posted by: superwilks | February 27, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

sorry run and gun....

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 27, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

78,

I think JC and Gilbert locks down 1 & 2 next year. BH, AJ, & CB at 5, 4, & 3. JM backs 5 with AB behind the 4, putting them both on the floor at the same time.

However, depending on the coach we get and what player we might add, the flexibilities and possibilties are quite promising.

DSon, Eton, and MJ might never be sighted for any major PT again. Goody!

I just might get my wish and the Wizs should be a Run and Gun, Shake and Bake, Lets Go Back, Trash Talkin Team. And the right coach will show these boys that defense ain't no mystery, but just simplistic bust your butt techniques that any good player/team can learn.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 27, 2009 2:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you Larry. I can see Gilbert and Javaris in the same backcourt quite easily.

As far as some of the other comments above, I am a believer in the old saying, "You can't go home again."

When you look at the disaster that Larry Hughes has been with the Knicks so far, you can breathe much easier that he did not return to DC! And much as I admire Rip Hamilton, his off the ball skills require a much different type of backcourt partner than Gil.

Posted by: khrabb | February 27, 2009 5:44 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert and JC in the same backcourt may work well because JC has some height and rebounds well for a point - may offset some of Gilbert's weaknesses when playing teams with big 2's.

Posted by: Buffalobull | February 27, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I hate to call people out, but please tell me anyone on this planet is not advising anyone to bring back Kwame Brown (in the RIP deal). I hope I read that incorrectly.

If I could ask for more information from the Insiders it would be on the work ethic of the players. When C-Webb and Juwon were here, we heard endless stories about how the organization wanted C-Webb to work on his post moves and jump hook. The press as whole were hyper-critical of C-Webb, but it also the fans some insight into what was going on behind the scenes and what players were and weren't doing to better their game.

I've watched the young guys closely this year, and I'm probably in the minority but I don't think playing time will make a drastic improvement in their game at this point. Having played in 50 or so games by now they know first hand the speed and physical nature of the NBA game. I'm not saying that say sit them. I'm saying that to say their real improvement is come in other places like the wieght room, film room and practice court.

What can you tell us about the work ethic of the young guys? Who is spending time after practice? Who is hitting the weights? Who do the coaches feel listen and are able absorb?

I think Blatche and McGee have promising careers, but for them to fully meet their potential they are going to have to put in a significant amount of work off the court. For Songolia to be our best post defender and both of them to be so significantly more athletic then him makes no sense. Neither has a jump hook and neither is really strong enough to hold their position on the block against most post defenders. McGuire and Crittenon, you can tell they've both been working on their shot, but I think of summer of shooting work will solidify them as solid back-ups and rotation players. Young is a question mark to me. He's got all the tools he needs now, but I don't know how you work on consistency in the summer. To go from that stretch of 30 point games he had to how he's playing now is baffling. Where's the middle ground in his game? That may be mental. I'm not sure. But we have a promising young core. If we're not able to get Griffin, I hope they bundle the pick with Etan and pick up a solid player.

Posted by: dyoung1 | February 27, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 26, 2009 10:06 PM

Good one, 88. I think last year YOU might have been the one causing her to blush. This year you're a changed man. Even Kal has gotten nicer. I guess that's what losing does to us. We're all too busy feeling sorry for our team to snipe at each other. Plus, your arch enemy has been hurt.

I can't wait to see the greeting you give him when he comes back.

Posted by: original_mark | February 27, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

But seriously, 88....

Are you glad that Gil is coming back and anxious to see how he plays? I know I am.

Posted by: original_mark | February 27, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Jones-y made a very intriguing point above, in reference to Gil. I would not be surprised to see him return tonight. The original timetable was late December, early January. Well it’s now late February. Gilbert has made some awfully “confident” comments the past few days, including this one: “I'm out there feeling like the old Gilbert Arenas again”. It sort of seems “all-of-a-sudden”. And not to mention the fact he’s been going full throttle in practice. I got news for you, guys don’t go full throttle in practice, if they are not going to play. Guys don’t just ramp it up in practice for fun. T makes perfect sense for him to make his return tonight. If Obama is indeed there, the game will be a HUGE headliner, and lead off SportsCenter. It is Obama’s first sporting event since taking office, and will draw headlines everywhere. We all know how Gilbert loves the spotlight and drama. The sucker even got a tattoo for Obama. Good point Jones-y, makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: cj658 | February 27, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I've been saying since Critt came out in the draft a few years ago that he had the right blend of skills to blend with Gil.

A few years from now I think people will be talking about the Daniels and "the draft pick we'd never get" for James and Crittenton in the same way they talk about Kwame/Profit for Butler.

Critt has the size and the skill set to team with Gil in much the same way as Hughes or Daniels did. I understand the thought of guys looking to bring Larry back, but at his contract number he's badly overpaid.

I'm not sure that Gil/Critt won't be more effective at a far cheper price. It's tough to tie up 30m a year in a starting backcourt and construct a winning roster, just ask the Nets.

As for coaches and who will and won't want to come here. If Eddie was fired before the season, no one would have wanted the job. There was no chance to coach this team to a better record then last year.
Now, any body that comes in has the potential to look like a HOF guy.

A 30 game improvement in wins wouldn't be out of the question to pull off. Go to the second round of the playoffs and people will be ready to deem you a coaching God.

My quess is that Ernie has his guy in mind and did when he hired Eddie. I think the relationship with Eddie was done once the Jordan/Thibidoe marriage got annulled after the wedding night.

Doc Rivers was a smart enough and savvy enough guy to take on a "Head Coach In Waiting" and realize if he rode him to a title that it made his own job more secure. Thibidoe will get a head coaching gig in this league, but unless Boston collapases it won't be Doc's seat.

Ernie convinced Thibidoe to come to DC once, I think he goes out and trys to do it again this summer. I'd love to see him bring in Ewing as a lead assistant to work with another big man project(Thabeet).

The lure for Ewing would be if he helps successfully develop Thabeet his rep as a big man coach would be sealed in the league and he'd have a path to a head coaching gig if that's his goal.

Another guy I'd love to see on the Wizards bench is Adrian Dantley, I don't know if he has any history with Thibidoe. Seems most NBA assistants get a job because they've crossed paths with a guy in their career. But I liked Dantley's take on the game when he was here doing post game.

He's spent time in his career playing for the "Bad Boy Pistons" and is now coaching under Sloan in Utah. And he was one of the toughest competitors I've ever seen on the court. I think he'd bring a grit to the Wiz bench that would be well needed.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | February 27, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Ivan,

I got a solution. Mike James, Etan Thomas, & the lottery pick for Rasheed Wallace.

As for coaching, if you're able to provide any insight, advice, or even just be used as a sound board...we don't want Van Gundy, Terry Porter, Avery Johnson, or any other recycled "talent". A good assistant from a perennial championship team; LA or San Antonio preferably. I would love to be humbled and re-hire Eddie Jordan...with a healthy team, we're contenders.

Posted by: Gooddad | February 27, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Lots of good comments today!

Jeff Van Gundy might be a good coach, maybe not. I hope we don't hire hire him simply because we'd loose on of the most entertaining and insightful announcers on TV.

The more I read about next year's cap/tax situation, the more I am convinced we'll take or do a draft day trade for Rubio and let him play overseas for a year. Then he can come over when James, ET and Dsong expire or get moved. Rubio is most appealing to a team fighting the tax like us and most of the contenders for the first 5 picks have cap/tax space and don't really need the overseas option.

Posted by: cballer | February 27, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Dyoung1,

Great points and very well put. Your actions off the floor do contribute directly to your successes on the floor.

Gilbert's work ethic off the floor is what made him the player he is.

Things that are demanded off the floor is why I have been so critical of bad coaching. If neither the Owner nor the GM demands off the court success, then it is left to the coach. One of the three must do it and when all three do it, you might start to figure out what a championship Team is.

Dyoung1, I know for fact that the comments you have hit upon are critical to individual and Team success and any good knowledgeable coach knows this and demands this as well.

The reason why NY could go from 30 point games to what he is doing now is because I do not see any evidence that Ed Tapscott requires this as a part of his coaching repertouire.

Players can put in the dedication and the effort like apparently NY was doing with Gilbert, but if the coach does not understand the value in off the court successes and hard work, you end up with the shenanigans on the floor we see from the Wizards each game they play.

There are some coaches, players, and others who believe that initiative by the player to do the things off the floor to make him better is a good thing.

Then there are some coaches, players, and others who DEMAND that their players always take the initiative to do the things off the floor to make them a better player.

That second group wins championships. That first group at best might just make the playoffs 4-yrs in a row and get bounced.

I never saw the full philosophy of the second group and have not seen it the Wizards in a long, long, time. Even back when we had Rasheed Wallace, who played at Carolina and they do not tolerate ignorance; Wallace shows up here and he dosen't know how to wear his shorts. They were falling off his ass every game he played.

Right then I wondered what the hey is going on, this Team does not have any discipline or self respect, b/c if they did Wallace would not have been allowed on the court that way for one second.

Even the success that Eddie Jordan had, he too did not demand success and is why I believed and still do that he was no champion coach and called on the Wizs to also Fire The Interim because it was clear he was not the right man for the Job.

You see as a champion you can make championship decisions or just stay mediocre and bad like we are know.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 27, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see the greeting you give him when he comes back.

Posted by: original_mark | February 27, 2009 10:03 AM

Original_mark,

your comments about the tone of the comments reminds me of an obnoxious friend of mine. Whenever you said something to him, he was always going off. If something needed to be done he would curse you, get loud on you, and questioned why the task had not already been done.

But I learned something about this guy, he was the most hardest working guy of us all. After he did all the trash talking he would then say lets go take care of it.

He ran for President of the organization we belonged too, but he did not win. He did not win because most of the people were afraid of him and never got past his outbursts, and hence they never knew that a lot of the success behind the scenes was accomplished because of him.

So whenever I make comments on this blog and some kinda go off, I know deep that it ain't mostly personal atall. I remember onetime Kalo_rama hit back pretty hard at someone, so I jumped in and said to Kalo to take it easy b/c they were both in agreement, but in a different way.

It seems that since then Kalo has been at least more civil to me and I respect his comments more know and he has given me great info clarifying things I did not know.

BulletsFan78 always calls Abe cheap. So I would always tell 78 to stop doing that, but in a fun way, cause I always understood what 78 was saying, whereas some just immediately took offense to the comment.

You have to go beyond than just the words.

Original_mark, I think it is good that you allow your daughter to see what this blog is all about. I told my daughter about this site and her friend, they are both in college have since been to the site and commented positively about what they saw.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 27, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Correction; Dargregman, instead of...

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 27, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

yeah the tone has been really good for the most part. Now if I can just get everyone to agree that BTH is the lynchpin of our defense and a above average NBA center...

Posted by: original_mark | February 27, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Good posts today.

GM your are as always quite interesting. You stated,

"What seems to be emerging from this train wreck of a year is two unexpected solid rotation guys in McGuire and Critt. If Ernie can roll that expiring James contract into another solid asset you can see the core of a good team developing."

also, haven't we learned that Blatche is at least a rotation player and maybe a starter if he can grow up more, get more consistent and be coached? And we have also had confirmed that even with our potential young players we have enough finesse oriented bigs and no one to do the dirty work down low. This is the only reason that this Thabeet guy intrigues me above Griffen. If Blatche and Mcgee and McGuire are what we want them to be won't Thabeet be a better fit? this is a tough choice. You clearly watch more college ball than I know I do. But we should all definitely keep an eye on the NCAA in the next 5 weeks. March will tell us a lot.

Anyway, this "Gil may show up tonight" garbage would be another sign that all our beloved franchise cares about is bucks, glamour and entertainment. He should return when he is ready, not because Barak happens to show up.

I'd like to hear more from the media about the coaching vision and potentials. what is EG thinking? My gut tells me that he will go with Avery Johnson because he represents guts and defense and fire and energy. I think he also wants a point guard that can take Gil's game another mental level when and if he returns with anything close to the previous skill level. Gil will need to learn to play smarter and Johnson I believe can get tht out of him.

And he did a great job of turning the Mavs around from a Suns wanna be team to a team that actually could stop folks on defense. I think that is the man he has been after all along. Avery also has finals experience also.

BmoreRev

Posted by: stanlong23 | February 27, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

man u guys have teenage daughters and all and are on this website...i feel sorry for your families...although i can definitely see myself being the same way when i grow up...hahaha

Posted by: jasonma1 | February 27, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"And we have also had confirmed that even with our potential young players we have enough finesse oriented bigs and no one to do the dirty work down low. This is the only reason that this Thabeet guy intrigues me above Griffen."

I agree totally with your logic but disagree with the conclusion.

Thabeet isn't a dirty work player. He's not a tough, physical guy. He's tall and long and blocks shots on weak side help against driving wing players, But he's hardly a physical bruiser in the paint. He struggles in matchups against strong, physical players. Griffen is physical low post presence who fights for position around the basket and muscles his way through defenders for rebounds and scores, even against bigger guys. Griffen is much more of a "dirty work" guy than Thabeet.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 27, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Now that Albert Haynesworth is here on defense and Antawn Jamison on offense (only), the Wizards will start winning.

Posted by: iamdawalrus | February 27, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"I worry about a Crit / Gil backcourt. The perfect complement to Gil is a lockdown defender who can hit an open 3. Crit should be fine as a backup PG though."

While I would hardly use the term lockdown, Crittenton has shown some solid defensive instincts. As for shooting: while he definitely needs to work on his shot, I think a 3-point shot is less of a need for him than a pull up, off the dribble midrange jumper. That kind of shot, when combined with his quickness and penetrating ability, would turn him into a legit triple threat whenever he got into the lane and really open up the offensive options around him.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 27, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Kal

As I mentioned I have only seen highlights of both and read the comments here and elsewhere. I have not seen 40 minutes of them combined in real game time. Just snippets here and there. But I will keep an eye on them both next month. Thanks.

Posted by: stanlong23 | February 27, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure we have the frontcourt defense to be able to defend with such a small backcourt starting but it's all dependent upon who's coaching.

Posted by: original_mark | February 27, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Thabeet will go #1, mark my words. Kinda like last year, when Beasley was a “lock” to go #1. The player with more potential to help a team goes first, period. Defense wins championships, not 6’9 PF’s who score 20 & 10 in the pitiful Big 12. He is a poor man’s Jamison, is that what the Wiz need? It is clearly evident what the Wizards have been lacking for the past 5 seasons, yet there are still some that are just blinded by the “sexy” pick. I am curious how many of the Thabeet bashers actually watch college ball? I am sure a great deal just watch highlights of the two on SportsCenter, than come to a blog and talk you have a point to make. HA! Thabeet had ONE bad game against Pitt, and everyone and their mother came on here and pointed that out (talk about a bunch of Negative Nancys). Then he has a great game against Marquette, and not one of the “bashers” bring it up. It is as if you folks just believe what you want to believe, or better yet, just believe anything Chad Ford says. He’s never wrong, is he? Again, Griffin will just be more of the same, but that doesn’t surprise me coming from the “Eddie Jordan fan club”, otherwise known as the Wizard Insider blogger. I mean come on, you folks are the same people who felt that getting eliminated 3 years in a row in the first round was an accomplishment. It’s time for the culture to change around here if any of you truly want to see this team take the next step, drafting Hasheem Thabeet is the obvious option.

Posted by: cj658 | February 27, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

"I'm on board with everything you said but I still would like Crit to establish a 3 pointer first. With his quickness, eventually game plans are going to be designed to leave him open and make him beat you...especially with Gil on the court. He has the potential to be good...Rondo-like perhaps if we're lucky."

That example pretty much plays into my point. Guys like Rondo and Tony Parker can't hit threes consistently, and teams game plan to cede that shot to them rather than let them get into the lane. But, despite that, they still get into the lane pretty much at will. Clearly Crittenton isn't on their level, but he has similar quickness and ball skills and has shown the ability to get into and through the lane no matter how it's packed, even though he's not threat from long distance. A pull up mid-range shot would expand his existing arsenal and play off of what's already a strength for him (penetrating into the lane), whereas a 3 pt shot would be starting from a point of weakness.

I'm not saying he shouldn't develop the 3 pointer, I just don't think that it'll benefit him as much, given his existing skill set and mindset, as the pull up shot. I've also noticed that guards who come into the league with a talent for driving and then develop a proficient 3-pointer after hitting the league tend to become too reliant on it, to the point where they stop attacking the basket and settle for the jumper. Jamal Crawford and Jason Richardson are the two most immediate examples. Even Arenas, to an extent.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 27, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Kal, for the record... Right now, who do you like for this team in the draft if you had your choice?

I'm assuming that the Gil we get next year is a reasonable facsimile of the old one.

Posted by: original_mark | February 27, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

B-Rev, I think both Blatche and McGee have the talent to be rotation guys, depending the new coach's system, and the draft, one or the other could be starter next year. Both are going to be rotation guys.

Pecherov is another matter, a coach is going to have to coach to his talents which are like a lot of Euro players, a bit quirky. Pecherov gets deflections on defense, every time the guys in the game and the ball goes in the lane you start to see deflections. It doesn't look pretty but it's the sign of an effective defender.

A guy like Van Gundy will find something to like in Pecherov. There will be other coaches that will keep him buried on the Pine. Avery might find an upside in him since he's worked with similar styled players in Dallas.

Kal, quit reading old scouting reports online and actually watch Big East basketball. The point about Thabeet is the guy's improved at a steady pace since he's been at U Conn. But, this year almost every college watcher has said the two guys that have exploded are Thabeet and Henderson from Duke.

Only poor game that Thabeet has had all year was against Blair. Blair got Thabeet's arm tangled in his and performed a "hip throw" and hyperextended Thabeet's shoulder in the first minutes of the game. My one son was a wrestler, if Blair would have used that move wrestling it would have been a major point deduction.

No foul was called and the game commentators both commented that Blair could have been called for repeated offensive fouls for dropping his shoulder and driving into Thabeet before going up.

I think the rematch is coming up soon. That's going to be a big game and it's at Pitt. I'll be watching that one for sure.

Thabeet isn't going to wow you like Griffin, but if you really think the Wiz should pick a "dirty work in the lane" power forward, Blair should be the pick hands down.

I think the Wiz need a shotblocking big man to anchor the D and fill the lane. Thabeet's only been playing for 4 years, the guy needs a lot of coaching, but at worst I see him being a Mark Eaton type of guy.

In the right system, with the right coaching, and some luck with avoiding injury, he could be scary good. A guy that at his best could change games on the defensive end like Ben Wallace did a few years ago.
GM

Posted by: flohrtv | February 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

” I think the Wiz need a shotblocking big man to anchor the D and fill the lane”

Ah, a breath for fresh air. Common sense is hard to find these days.

Posted by: cj658 | February 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Ah, a breath for fresh air. Common sense is hard to find these days.

For anyone’s reading leisure:

Again, the guy forces teams to change their game. Despite what McNeal said, Marquette was totally one-dimensional against Uconn.

Posted by: cj658 | February 27, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Only problem with Blair is that he's 6'6, GM. That's what I've read, at least. We definitely don't need Clarence Weatherspoon on this team.

If Thabeet is Mark Eaton, I'm doing cartwheels since Eaton led the league in blocks for years. I like that worst case scenario.

Harden seems to be a guy everyone likes but do we need a 2?

Before we even get into the draft, this team needs to figure out positions. Is CB a 2 or 3? Is AB a 4 or 5? Does AJ stay at the 4 ?
Only after we figure that out (with a new coach) can we determine what we need. Drafting the best player available ain't working with this team. We have a bunch of guys who are decent but play the same positions. CB, AJ, JM, AB, DM, NY, Pech, DSong (ugh) can probably all play the forward position.

Posted by: original_mark | February 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

cj658,

You make it out that Thabeet is the next Patrick Ewing.... come on lets be serious for a second...lol Thabeet is a really good player but lets not kid ourselves to think adding him to the team will push the Wizards past Lebron and the Cavs and KG and the Celtics. You must be a relative of Thabeet or a UConn fan or alumni, because the stuff your pushing is funny. UConn big men don't deliver in the NBA only their guards.

I personally believe Thabeet should stay a another year in school, but he's a guaranteed top pick so it's hard to past that up, I understand. Just know that any team take him will have to be patient Because he's not a Patrick Ewing, hell I doubt he'll be an Dikembe Mutombo.. in another words, he's no franchise player,as you expect him to become.

NCAA is watered down this year, not a lot of talent, so it's a bad time for the Wizards to suck.

Posted by: rcnasa | February 27, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow...a productive positive thread in here for once instead of the usual Tap/playing time bashing!

DCMan, I don't recall anyone blaming the 3rd knee surgery on his feeble attempt at helping the team in the playoffs last year. In fact, the "cleanup" surgery came months later and it seems to me was probably going to be needed regardless. The second knee surgery is what really set him back, perhaps, forever and that was his fault completely. The bicycling with parachutes etc... while commendable in it's dedication was foolish. Typical GA!

As for the 50% to 90% overnight comment, yeah, I'm glad that was the case and the details might be interesting, but you have to consider the source as well. It's not as if GA is against a little exaggeration or hyperbole in his comments and behavior. I'm sure he felt better, but 50% to 90% overnight - I'm not sure I believe that at face value. That's almost like saying he was months away beforehand and then overnight would have been ready to play if in shape. Not!

My 2 cents - Griffin or trade in the upcoming draft. Besides the fact we have BH and McGee already (guys that can/will play weak side defense pretty well), we need a true inside guy who plays with muscle and athleticism on both sides of the court. The fact that the dude from Pitt at his height could dominate Thabeet I believe portends what you'll see more of in the NBA. Thabeet will be a good NBA player, but I think Griffin fits our needs to a T!

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 27, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cballer | February 27, 2009 11:16 AM

ur an idiot. Gilbert and Crit play the same position. second of all we already have that his name is DESHAWN STEVENSON!!! and when gets his back right the Wiz are gonna be back

Posted by: prescrunk | February 27, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"I know who likes Thabeet and who likes Griffin, etc. I don't recall you ever stating a preference for anyone but I may have missed it."

You're kidding right? I've been calling for Griffin over Thabeet every

"Kal, quit reading old scouting reports online and actually watch Big East basketball."

Never mind the fact that comment has no relevance to anything I actually said, Thabeet didn't get outplayed by "the scouting report" in games against Pitt, Notre Dame and Georgetown. He got outplayed by DuJuan Blair, Luke Harangody, and Greg Monroe, strong physical (and in the case of Monroe and Blair, athletic) guys who used their strength (and, in the case of Harangody and Monroe, face up shooting ability) counter his length. Those parentheticals are key because, as a whole, NBA big men (and, for that matter, NBA forwards and wing players) are bigger, stronger, more athletic, and more likely to be able to score facing the basket than college pivots.

"But, this year almost every college watcher has said the two guys that have exploded are Thabeet and Henderson from Duke."

Would those be the same college watchers who have, almost by consensus, decided that Griffin will be the #1 overall NBA pick and likely college bball player of the year?

Your entire line of argument seems to imply that I somehow think or said Thabeet is not a good player. I've never said or implied any such thing. He's an excellent college player. But being an outstanding college player doesn't automatically translate to being an outstanding NBA player. I've said before (more than once) that Thabeet will most likely be a solid pro. But he won't have the kind of dominating impact in the NBA that he has in college because his size won't be physically intimidating to big strong NBA players the way it is to college players.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 27, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Pushed "ENTER" too soon. Meant to say:

You're kidding right? I've been calling for Griffin over Thabeet every time the subject has come up.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 27, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

kalo

dont waste your time...we've already established that cj rides thabeet hard...cj is prolly some sorority girl at uconn who thabeet bones everyday twice a day...hahaha...

Posted by: jasonma1 | February 27, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"Good one, 88. I think last year YOU might have been the one causing her to blush. This year you're a changed man.

I can't wait to see the greeting you give him when he comes back.

Posted by: original_mark | February 27, 2009 10:03 AM "

I think you should credit the moderator on this blog who instituted the login requirement. Since then, there haven't been any phantom posts by people using my handle.

There's not much to say about Gilby to date because he's been mostly quiet. I can deal with that. If he starts yapping and grand standing again, then for sure, I will get back on his case.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 27, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse