Wizards (12-42) at Nets (24-31)

Wizards starters: Mike James, Caron Butler, Dominic McGuire, Antwan Jamison, Darius Songaila.

Nets starters: Devin Harris, Vince Carter, Trenton Hassell, Ryan Anderson, Brooke Lopez.

Refs: Greg Willard, Courtney Kirkland, Tony Brown.

Line: Nets by 7.

- The Nets lead the season-series 2-1 ... Wiz won here, 108-88, on Dec. 2 thanks to a season-high 33 assists and season-high 13 made three-pointers ... New Jersey won the season-opener at Verizon Center (95-85) and again at VC on Feb. 4 (115-88) ... In that last meeting, the Nets shot a season-high 61.3 percent.

- Even former Wizards are going down. ... Jarvis Hayes is out for at least a week and probably longer with a torn ligament in his left thumb. I chatted with Jarvis -- one of the all-time good guys you'll encounter in this or any other business -- for a bit before the game. He's doing well. His wife is expecting, and other than the injury, he said life is good.

- The Wizards are looking for only their second two-game winning streak of the season.

- Gilbert Arenas, DeShawn Stevenson and Etan Thomas did not make the trip. Brendan Haywood is here and continues to make steady progress with that right wrist. I hear the same about Arenas and the knee but he's been quiet and a team source told me that they are "taking their time" with the elusive one.

By Ivan Carter  |  February 20, 2009; 7:17 PM ET
 | Tags: Brendan Haywood, DeShawn Stevenson, Etan Thomas, Gilbert Arenas, Jarvis Hayes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Suns Keep Stoudemire, Then Lose Him
Next: Wizards 107, Nets 96

Comments

Did ESPN "kick" this game off of it's 8:00 pm schedule with the Dallas/Rockets Game? It is not on CSN, the CW, or channel 1 on Verizon. Does anyone know where it is?

I noticed CSN will be showing it at 1:30 a.m. in the morning. This is reminding of the days before Gilbert hit town and we only saw the Wiz games televised only at a 50% clip. Looks like we might be going back to those days again.

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 20, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I like to watch the Nets because they use that dribble-drive-motion scheme that I think could eventually work pretty well for the Wiz, with either Gilbert or a matured Crittenton to run it.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 20, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Sorry I am wrong. It is on Verizon's channel 1. It just did not show it on the guide for the channel a hour ago. I am enjoying Critt's game and as usual McGee's. AB looks like he has picked up a little mass now, and DMac's "j" is looking better with each and every game.

Now for the other two youngsta's NY and OPEC. NY needs a mean streak he is so up and down and OPEC, nice guy and all, is simply not a NBA ball player. Ernie has picked some good ones, but I am sorry he missed bad on OPEC.....

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 20, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

It is on CSN+. This is 97 here in Frederick County, probably a different channel where you are.

Posted by: cannontl | February 20, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

The 18th pick is usually a crapshoot. Picking McGee could make up for any mistake EG made in picking Opech.

Posted by: cannontl | February 20, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I am curious, cause I want to leave Comcast, but not lose Wizards games. Is this game televised with Verizon or Directv in the Baltimore area? What channel?

Posted by: djnumb | February 20, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Usually I'm no fan of in-season coaching changes -- for reasons I've expressed many times before -- but I confess I like the Terry Porter firing. Not that I have anything against Porter. It's just that expecting him to transform that team of scorers into the Spurs or Celtics was doomed from the outset to a watery grave.

In that sense, Alvin Gentry is a full 360 reverse dunk from the previous course.

I don't know if Alvin can coach, but presuming the Giant Shaquerator retires to guest shots on SportsCenter, then the Suns could be challengers again. Jason Richardson is actually a good fit for the D'Antoni offense. Put him on the wings with Barbosa, and a rejuvenated Steve Nash in the middle, and Amare with two good eyes posting inside, and you've got yourself a very, very dangerous club. At least going their way. On defense, not so much.

A free agent rebounder would help, of course.

Still, I like that club. They're not dead yet.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 20, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey Wiz fans... if the Wiz refuse to develop Blatche to his full potential, we Pistons fans will take ANOTHER one of your players and turn 'em into champions... like we did with all the other players the Pistons eventually got from you that now have either EC or NBA championship RINGS. LOL!

Because Tapscott is an idiot... plain and simple. And it seems that the Wiz org will keep him on just because he "talks" a good game. Same ol' D.C. "status quo" crap that almost ensures that the city won't see another championship for a looooong time.

Posted by: eclectik56 | February 20, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

I am liking JC more and more everytime I watch him place. With a PG able to see the floor and push the ball, it just make big men better players. AB playing like he want to win every game so Blake Griffen won't take his job. If Wiz win tonight, I don't see them entering the draft lottery. They are only 2 games out of 3rd place. If this happen, look for them to trade their pick.

Now, I ask you guys, who do you rather see PG, JC or Gil? IMO I like Gil at SG.

Posted by: demonj21 | February 20, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if we can work a Etan/Stevenson/James for Hughes/Jeffries deal after the season??

Deal works in trade checker...

Posted by: Darnell1 | February 20, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: eclectik56 | February 20, 2009 9:11 PM

My man, you hit the nail on the head. I am waiting for someone to slip these cats a note reminding they are 12-42, time to go in ahother direction. While the players are jockeying for future consideration so is this team. If they bring Tapcott back and or continue along the same way of thinking, I am doing something else with my season ticket money. This is one of the worse and most boring squads on the planet.

Posted by: NewManagement | February 20, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NewManagement | February 20, 2009 9:20 PM

I know Bruh. I "like" the Wiz as much as I LOVE the Pistons and I can't stand seein' em go out like this. Detroit is having their problems with coaching too, but the Wiz org is really screwed up and too fickle to win anything... even if the entire team was healthy.

Don't let Detroit mess around and snatch Eddie Jordan AND Blatche during the off season. Joe Du can be slick like dat. ;>)

Posted by: eclectik56 | February 20, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

An 8-0 run in 1:08... and the dumb s**t continues...

Posted by: eclectik56 | February 20, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Pistons fans chant... "WE WANT BLATCHE, WE WANT BLATCHE, WE WANT BLATCHE!!!"

Posted by: eclectik56 | February 20, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

These boyz are ballin' now... and Blatche and McGuire started it all.

But can they hang on to WIN? That's the question...

Posted by: eclectik56 | February 20, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm talikn' to myself here. LOL! I'm out.

Posted by: eclectik56 | February 20, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Who is the idiot that said that McGuire is a NBDL player and the Wiz would let him go?

Posted by: OwlWiz | February 20, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Whoever said that knows NOTHING about basketball. Just another typical "fan" without a clue.

I peeped McGuire's skill set in the beginning of the season and knew he'd be a valuable player. And like I said before, if the Wiz don't know how to appreciate Blatche AND McGuire, the Pistons will take 'em both and turn 'em into champions.

Posted by: eclectik56 | February 20, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

So that infallible oracle, the Bergen (NJ) Record, reports that San Antonio offered for Vince Carter the following package: George Hill, Roger Mason, Fabricio Oberto, and Bruce Bowen.

Probably just to keep him away from Houston...

Posted by: Samson151 | February 20, 2009 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Last year this time some of the bright lights on this board were claiming D Mac would never see more then garbage minutes in the NBA. Second game in a row with 10 or more rebounds, tonght's effort was a real solid double/double with 3 or more blocks.

Injuries have Dom playing over his as a starter, but he's gotten better and better and he's got solid rotation guy written all over him.

People keep wondering if Arenas would move off the ball and play along side Crittenton, but that's what he did when Daniels was on the floor. And when he played with Larry Hughes they swung back and fourth at the guard positions.

The JC deal is looking more and more like a steal, Ernie got a potential starter next year for a future #1 that the Wiz sure weren't seeing this summer. Well played, traded Navarro, who was never playing here, for a future pick and then rolling that pick into Critt. Nice, really nice.

Hopla, Dom, and Critt should room together this summer shoot, shoot, and then shoot some more. Blatche and McGee should drink power shakes, lift, drink power shakes, run, drink power shakes and lift a little more.

One of the "flash bulb" thoughts from the last post,"Wizards fans will never sit still to watch players develop, they want a Championship now!"

That's why guys like Ben & Rasheed Wallace & Rip Hamilton went on to be Allstars and got their rings else where. Add a high lottery pick to this batch of young players and there's a nice core to grow up together.

The is the makings of a deep team to surround the big three next year.

Posted by: flohrtv | February 20, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Another lost opportunity:

J. Crittenton 23:09 1-3 0-1 2-2 -7 0 4 3 3 2 0 0 1 4
A. Blatche 20:04 4-12 0-0 1-2 +8 5 9 3 1 1 0 2 5 9
N. Young 11:21 1-3 0-1 2-2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 4
J. McGee 7:40 1-1 0-0 1-2 -12

These are the dudes that need to improve for the Wiz to get out of the second round next year.

McGuire will be the 10th man next year with limited playing time once a real coach is in the saddle.

Posted by: Izman | February 20, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

They may never lose another game!

Posted by: joe2chase | February 20, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

flortv:

Better make that a power #5 pick. THABEET. Three years in we've got HAYWOOD(33) and THABEET, McGEE, BLATCHE, BUTLER(32), McGUIRE, YOUNG(if he learns to cooperate with the other team members), ARENAS(30), and CRITTENTON, maybe PECHEROV plus five more picks. JAMISON's payroll is gone. Ditto THOMAS, and SONGAILA. WIZARDS could be making some noise.

Posted by: glawrence007 | February 20, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Izman,

Just can it dude! McGee had a -12 +/-...by far the worst on the team tonight. He missed box outs, made stupid fouls, and fumbled passes.

On a night when they played perhaps their sharpest all around game of the year your still going to post that garbage? Weak!

Good solid game Wiz! Perhaps best all year and YES a well coached game by Tap!

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 21, 2009 6:34 AM | Report abuse

I've been beating that Thabeet Drum for weeks. I see McGee more as a highbred 4-5 and I'd love to see a coach that would put Thabeet, McGee, and Blatche or McGuire out there together.

McGuire is what coaches call a glue guy, he does all the little things to hold a team together. Best glue guy in the league is Shane Battier, he's what Dom should aspire to be.

10th man on the roster? He's not a starter on a healthy team, but he's a solid rotation guy.

Posted by: flohrtv | February 21, 2009 8:44 AM | Report abuse