Wizards Standing Pat

The Wizards aren't making any trades.

Sources tell me that they DID want to move Etan Thomas and Mike James to Chicago for Larry Hughes but the Bulls balked in a part because of the trade kicker attached to Thomas' contract. The Bulls did trade Hughes to the Knicks for Tim Thomas, Jerome James and Anthony Roberson.

By Ivan Carter  |  February 19, 2009; 2:56 PM ET
 | Tags: Etan Thomas, Larry Hughes, Mike James
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards Standing Pat/Practice Update
Next: Hughes Traded Again

Comments

I guess that means we can kiss our lottery pick goodbye.

Posted by: thinker11 | February 19, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad we didn't make the move for a couple of reasons. Crit has proven that he's a legit pg and that'll free up some minutes for Gil at the 2 next year depending on matchups. NY also needs time at the position in order to improve. Unless we are planning on moving CB back to the 3, that would create a serious logjam at that position.

Posted by: original_mark | February 19, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ivan so what is next for this team because obviously they have to trade some pieces on this team this summer.

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | February 19, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Grunfeeeieieieieieieeieillllldddddd!!!!!!!

I still respect his BBall mind so, we will see what he will does. I just can't believe he did nothing, though.

Posted by: 15600_sknfan | February 19, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Just when you thought it couldn't get much worse the Wiz brass serve up some hopelessness for the rest of the year.

I guess now we wait for the lottery to see which pick we will trade away for a player that turns 32 this summer.

Posted by: lameotron | February 19, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Etan hurts the team again...the fact that he gets paid in this league is reprehensible.

Posted by: akaarora | February 19, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow....?? That trade kicker just jacked up another deal? My question is if it is a 2 million dollar add on, couldn't the Wizards still made the trade with "cash considerations" (i.e. 2 Million to the Bulls) to even things out?

Or is it a salary cap thing where you are not allowed to payout cash as an incentive for a team to take on a contract you are trying to dump.......??

Posted by: BulletsFever | February 19, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

BulletsFever, I think the 15% salary kicker if Thomas was traded would have hurt Chicago's cap numbers next year and even if the Wiz gave them cash or 'future considerations', they would have had to absorb a hit of around $8M next year with Thomas on the roster. I also don't think that James was very enticing considering the number of guards on Chicago's roster and the fact that he's almost 34.

The Wiz had nothing of value to trade except Jamison and Butler or they would have made a move to dump contracts for players like Thomas, James, Songaila, and Stevenson. Unfortunately, both Thomas and Stevenson have serious injuries and wouldn't have passed physicals which made trading them even harder.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 19, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

As "The Who" would say meet the new Wizards same as the old Wizards?

In this economy if I was getting paid commision only I would rather be a Realtor, Car Salesman, or a Stock Broker before being a season ticket salesperson for the Wizards.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 19, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

So we didn't trade away 2 poor players with expiring contracts for one average player with an expiring contract.

I don't get why folks here are upset with not getting Hughes. What am I missing?

Posted by: original_mark
------------------------------------------

Because Etan is tough to trade with his trade kicker mentioned above.

I imagine Hughes will be easier to trade come next year. He can also be of service early next season before trade deadline. And even if he is not traded, he will still be better than Etan and James, both of them will not see PT with Arenas and Haywood back (and McGee one year better).

I don't see Hughes taking Crittenton's PT away. As for Butler, I have no problem moving him back to 3, he has played well in that position in the past, and he is very turnover prone at 2.

Posted by: sagaliba | February 19, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse