Wizards (10-39) vs. Nuggets (33-16)

Wizards starters: Javaris Crittenton, Mike James, Dominic McGuire, Antawn Jamison, Darius Songaila.

Nuggets starters: Chauncey Billups, Dahntay Jones, Nene, Kenyon Martin, Carmelo Anthony.

Refs: Steve Javie, Bill Kennedy, Derek Richardson.

Line: Nuggets 8 1/2.

-Caron Butler remains in bed with the flu.

-Lineup change tonight as Crittenton gets his first start while Nick Young shifts to a sixth man role. Interim coach Ed Tapscott said he made the move in order to play Crittenton at the point so he could run Mike James at shooting guard. James has been slumping for awhile and Tapscott said he hopes the shift will get him going.

Tapscott said he will use Young at both shooting guard and small forward. Look for him to matchup with J.R. Smith, who comes off the bench for the Nuggets. McGuire gets a nice helping of Anthony tonight.

-Billups will go tonight after missing a game with a sprained ankle. Martin is back after missing two games with strep throat. Everyone gets healthy for the Wizards plus, the game is on national television.

By Ivan Carter |  February 6, 2009; 7:05 PM ET
Previous: Butler out, Injury Update | Next: Nuggets 124, Wizards 103

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I guess that is the difference between winners and lsers.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 6, 2009 7:42 PM

I don't remember a time when I felt the game was already out of hand going into the second quarter

Posted by: yukiwith2us | February 6, 2009 8:45 PM

Hey Ivan i was wondering can you give us an update on Caron. i heard that the wizards were shopping him around according to espn.com

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | February 6, 2009 8:47 PM

Denver a clinic on UpTemPo, push the ball up the floor, a Tarheel Alumni for a coach, a style of play that fits there Team. Smart defense, rebounding, and shot blocking. A second unit that has an identity. Creating turnovers and pushing the ball.

Sounds like the right coaching philosophy for this Wizards Team. Something I been begging for all season long.

But Naww, we to damn smart wit our philosophy.

A smart Run and Gun philosophy for this Team with trust for the Young players and appropriate playing time was always needed.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 8:51 PM

Hey BulletsFan78, Caron is okay by me, seems to me his efforts or lack thereof is on par wit' the coaching.

How many stuffs do the Nuggets have? Goodness.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 9:03 PM

Stop writing about the Wizards. There is very little interest. The decision to sign Arenas to a 6 year contract has to go down as the worst ever NBA management decision, maybe even, the worst sports management system in American history.

Give us more Caps!

Posted by: robinfickerofrobinrealty | February 6, 2009 9:25 PM

"Is it just me or does anyone else find it strange that Kobe plays with torn ligaments while CB can not even take some Theraflu and play?

I guess that is the difference between winners and lsers.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 6, 2009 7:42 PM "

Kobe's got something to play for. Caron doesn't.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 6, 2009 9:38 PM

30+ pt. lead by the Nuggets and still can't hear fans raining down "Booo's..."

All 10 people in the stands must be asleep.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 6, 2009 9:42 PM

Ouch, will they lose by 40+ points?

This is why, in his defense, Tapscott didn't want to go with the rookies/younger guys/backups.

Things get so out of hand that the minutes are worthless.

I'm just giving a little defense of him, mind you.

Pecherov's gone after this year. Cut him.

A 7-footer that hangs around the 3-point line is a luxury that few teams can have. Certainly not this one.

Posted by: SteveMG | February 6, 2009 9:47 PM

WOW, as if things couldn't get any worse...

Posted by: rachel216 | February 6, 2009 9:52 PM

agree with robinfickerofrobinrealty, Wizards and their 10 wins have gotten too much talk, we need more Caps talk!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 6, 2009 9:53 PM

Pech was the first one on the Team to give a hard foul on the baseline dunks. Tatoo man was clearly surprised that someone actually stopped him with a foul.

Later on McGee sent KMart sprawling to the floor and KMart was clearly insulted and would not let McGee help him up.

Cut Pech, you got to be kidding me. Cut the guy that that they dunked on about six times and he did not even breathe on them. Darius Songala. Give me a break.

Cut Songala first and foremost. I'm keeping Peck. At least he knew as soon as he got on the floor to foul the baseline play and stop the dunk. What in the hell is Songala's excuse? The Veteran.

SteveMG you better than that.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 10:02 PM

Go Wiz! Now, excuse me while I leave to take one...

Posted by: ckuhn05 | February 6, 2009 10:05 PM

I hope you guys are all listening to Hubie Brown VERY closely. That, people, is called perspective.

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 10:05 PM

And they still baseline dunking. They must have at least twenty. You trying to tell me that this Team is so sorry that they continue to have that baseline play throughout the whole game.

Yeah in practicalitly they sorry because it is actually happening, but that ain't nothing but BAD DONKEY BUTT COACHING.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 10:07 PM

You bamas who want more Caps talk, there's a Caps forum on this site.

Get to steppin'.

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | February 6, 2009 10:07 PM

You guys wanted them to tank. You got your wish. Now you don't want it so much huh?

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 10:08 PM

Hubie: "Young players in college look at the NBA and they think its easy. They underestimate the size strength athleticism and quickness on this level. Then when they are forced into playing time on a bad team, they lose confidence in themselves and their game. The start to doubt themselves. 'Can you do this? Can you do it on this level?' Takes a while to undo."

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 10:11 PM

Please tell me why jamison is playing in the 4th Quarter when the team is down by 30. What a dumb coach/team.

Posted by: gwills | February 6, 2009 10:12 PM

Hubie: "What I would do if I was coaching such a young team like the Wizards is practice defense physically every day. I would challenge them to turn those 10-15 point losses into 2-3 point losses. I would set inter-game goals, down to a half or a quarter. And I would hold them to it. If the young players don't respond then they sit. There are no winning players who don't respond to that."

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 10:14 PM

And as I'ah been sayin' fo' awhile now, these playas' ain't nearly as bad as some of yawl' think cause they can't win games cause they cannot overcome the downright, incompetent, non winning, shortsighted, noncorageous, coaching philosophy that severely hampers every game they play.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 10:16 PM

Hubie: "The WIzards right now have one starting quality player dressing. The rest of their starters are guys who won't be getting minutes next year, and wouldn't if they were healthy this year. Its tough when they are forced into roles that they clearly are not ready for. But the one good thing in this is that they are getting floor time."

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 10:17 PM

Please listen to Hubie, you guys could use a good dose of perspective.

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 10:18 PM

SteveMG you better than that.

Larry, the guy can't play except marginally at this level. I'm not saying he doesn't try or give an effort; I'm just saying giving his all isn't good enough.

Doesn't have the athleticism and what he can do this team can't use.

Yeah, I know that on the list of problems he's about #143, but

Posted by: SteveMG | February 6, 2009 10:24 PM

And Jones-y, you are spot on in your point to bring in Hubie's analogy about the Wizards.

But, and this is key, if Hubie had this Team from the beginning of the year till now, I have no question in my mind that this Team under Hubie Brown would be a 500 hundred Team.

You see your point aptly put, means that proper direction can lead to successful results which this Wizard Team has not had all year long.

Young players as well as your veterans need wise council, in which Hubie has. Never underestimate that. The Wizards biggest mistake this year, and I hate to admit it was firing Eddie Jordan and replacing him with a dumb interim coach.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 10:27 PM

Hubie: "You have to be careful how you evaluate scoring here in the 4th. Because what we have here is a summer league game"

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 10:27 PM

Larry,

I can't say that they would be .500 with Hubie, but Ican say this: they would not be tanking right now.

All, raise your hand if you wanted them to throw in the towel on the season. Now keep your hand up if you knew it would be this ugly.

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 10:30 PM

And keep your hand up if you are not now complaining about how horrendous it now is.

I'm willing to bet there are no hands raised...

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 10:32 PM

SteveMG, I hear what you saying, but I still beg to differ a bit.

I feel that this Team at its best can use Pech much better than Songala. With the right Tempo and coaching Pech would be an offensive nightmare off the bench. He would be uncheckable.

We seen the best of Songala and that dog cannot hunt anymore on my Team. Sorry.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 10:47 PM

Which players on the roster will not be on the team when next season starts? I'd say Dixon, James, the untradeable Etan, Songaila, maybe Pech.

Posted by: PostSubscriber | February 6, 2009 10:50 PM

jones-y

you would think cheap abe would hire Hubie and show the young guys how to play the game, but that would cost him money!

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 6, 2009 10:52 PM

Thanks Jones-y,

I walked in at the end of the game. I heard Hubie say that Young and McGee are the only young ones that look promising and that they should get minutes next year when the starters return.

I didn't hear what he implied about Blatche.

I agree with what he is saying. The Wiz need to develop McGee and Young (and Blatche) this year. I don't see above average potential in the other youngsters.

Also, I don't think Taps is capable of managing as Hubie suggested.

Posted by: Izman | February 6, 2009 10:57 PM

Izman,

Hubie was commenting on those that played in the game. Blatche is out so he was not part of the conversation.

Larry,

Are you on drugs? If Hubie was coach, this team would be .500? Are you serious? If you really believe that then you should not be able to post in here again. That is absolutely absurd!

The best basketball coach ever, whomever you believe that to be, might might have squeezed out 6 more wins max with this bunch of players at this point in the season.

When your missing 4/5 of your best players this is what you get. Why you can't just accept that is beyond me.

jones,

Nice posts! Too bad people in here have lost all perspective. When this team is in the playoffs again next year, they'll be jumping on the bandwagon. Weak!

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 6, 2009 11:31 PM

BulletsFan78, I think Mr. Polin now has to make wise decisions with his money. His pound foolish decisions in the past has made him seem cheap.

The pound foolish decisions he has made has now backed him into a corner and the only way out is to spend the money.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 11:33 PM

Izman,

I actually disagreed with hubie about his final opinion on the play of the young guys. They all played poorly for long stretches, and they all had positive moments here and there. I'm not seeing what made NY and JM stand out over the others in his mind though. Maybe NY, as he was in attack mode, and he had some success offensively...

bulletsfan78,

There's a reason Hubie's in broadcasting and not coaching. He's 180 years old.

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 11:42 PM

RpHilli721, I don't do drugs. Apparently, you have no confidence in wise council, I do. When Hubie coached the Grizzles they kicked butts and they were a 500 Team. They did not have a Team of Stars, they had the proper direction of a wise coach.

It was his coaching that made them a 500 Team and nothing else.

RpHilli721, to you and anyone else that don't believe that bad coaching is the primary cause of the Wizards ineptitude, I say, that plane flew out of hear January 20th wit' the Bushes'.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 11:47 PM

oh and thanks Izman and rphilli721!

things are never as good as they seem, and they are never as bad as they seem either. You're always one injury or two away from the lottery, and one opponent's injury or two away from a deep playoff run (its much more evident in the NFL, but the theory applies in basketball too). Aside from that you just go out and compete to the best of your ability. Unfortunately, when you only have one starting caliber player dressing, you don't have much ability.

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 11:50 PM

larry, lack of talent first, bad coaching distant second.

Posted by: jones-y | February 6, 2009 11:51 PM

And yes Hubie did comment on Blatch, RpHilli721. He said that they were lacking one of their upcoming young players in Blatch due to injury. He gave Blatch a positive review unlike a lot of bloggers on this site, that might just include you.

I cannot believe you have the nerve to insinuate that these Wizard players are garbage.

Why don't you just pick another Team.

You are poison Rphilli721. Go away!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 6, 2009 11:56 PM

Ownership does not want to win. No other team suits up 8 guys when there are 500 guys in the D-League waiting for a 10-Day contract. And a dozen teams have turned these guys into NBA players. But not Abe. How much does a 10 day cost? $50,000? $20K? Why don't we try to develop all the talent we can find. Treat the rest of the season like Summer League or Pre-Season. The year is over. So work on the future. The future doesn't include Mike James. It could include Dee Brown or another athletic guard who is tearing up the D-League. You can't be cheap and be a good NBA owner. Abe, we need you to open up.

Posted by: smallwhiteforward | February 8, 2009 12:05 AM