Wizards Standing Pat/Practice Update

Barring a last-second whopper, the Wizards will allow the trade deadline come and go without making a move. A league source I trust told me a little bit ago that ultimately, the only players teams really wanted to deal for were Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison.

Another told me that the Bulls didn't want to touch the Etan Thomas and Mike James for Larry Hughes deal because of Etan's trade kicker and because of concerns about James. I do hear that the Wizards were interested in the deal but couldn't get the Bulls to bite. The Bulls wound up shipping Hughes to the Knicks for Tim Thomas, Jerome James and Anthony Roberson.

Practice update:
-Caron Butler, who sat out yesterday to rest a sore right hip, practiced today and said he felt better. He said it was basically a bad bruise that affected his alignment a little bit. He's day-to-day and his status for tomorrow's game at New Jersey will be determined at shootaround.

-Andray Blatche practiced again but interim coach Ed Tapscott said he's no quite ready to put Blatche back in the starting lineup.

By Ivan Carter |  February 19, 2009; 2:30 PM ET
Previous: Rumors ... (Updated) | Next: Wizards Standing Pat

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Thanks for not making a dumb move, Ernie. Now about that Wizards medical staff.......

Posted by: original_mark | February 19, 2009 2:39 PM

Fire Eg he is the worst gm in nba history.I guess he will just he will his deals in the summer.

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | February 19, 2009 2:40 PM

The only trade we missed out on was a trade for a competent team physician.

Posted by: original_mark | February 19, 2009 2:40 PM

In the last post, the Wizards didn't want to do the Hughes deal. Now, the Bulls didn't want to do the Hughes deal. Thanks for the great info. Maybe you need better sources.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 19, 2009 2:52 PM

Ivan, that makes no sense....why the hell did the bulls want to make the deal a few months ago then? and now suddenly they dont now?

Posted by: insanity999 | February 19, 2009 2:55 PM

Ernie is a fool!!!!!!!!! Say goodbye to that lottery pick. I have said for years this guy is horrible and everyone on this blog claimed he was a top 5 or 10 GM in the league.....What a joke. This is the 3rd franchise in a row he is going to leave in shambles. Thanks EG great job!!!!

Posted by: beas13 | February 19, 2009 3:00 PM

Posted by: jones-y | February 19, 2009 3:05 PM

I agree with insanity999, doesn't make any sense as to why the bulls don't want to make the deal. I'm happy the Wizards stuck to not moving, don't make any changes for more bad contracts, just wait till the off season and see whats happens worst case scenario Abe will have to eat the luxury tax. That's what happens when you give someone $111 million. I hope the Wizards don't trade off their top pick if they receive it.

Posted by: rcnasa | February 19, 2009 3:07 PM

A Couple of moths ago Larry Hughs was not healthy enough to pass a physical. Now Etan isn't healthy it's that simple.

Posted by: Keith28dagger | February 19, 2009 3:08 PM

Yeah.....Isiah Thomas really fixed that mess EG left in New York and the Bucks have been so great since Ernie left considering they were a rigged series against Philadelphia from making it to the finals with the team EG built......and the Wizards........God we were in the finals every year with Jordan running the show. Great team he build. I miss Kwame so much! And that Leonard Hamilton hiring! awesome! Stackhouse for Hamilton..........best NBA trade in history!

It's been a disappointing season and you can argue the Gilbert signing ect.......but to suggest EG is a terrible GM is dumb.

Posted by: virtueandvice | February 19, 2009 3:14 PM

jones-y....Look at the contracts EG handed out in NYC and when is the last time they made the playoffs????????? He did the same thing with the bucks when is the last time they have been relevant. Now we are in the lottery. You can say injuries which is true but only the worst GM in the league would have given Gilbert that deal coming off those surgeries. Like I said this will be the 3rd team in a row EG has left in shambles.

Posted by: beas13 | February 19, 2009 3:14 PM

It's not that simple Keith28dagger because Hughes is still hurt. It's supposly the Bulls not wanting the trade kicker in Etans deal. The deal, if I'm mistaken will increase Etan's salary where ever he is traded to. In return the Wiz will have a 12 million Hughes deal that won't come off the books for 2 yrs, therefore the Wizards will be in the same place there in now...the hole!!!

Posted by: rcnasa | February 19, 2009 3:17 PM

virtueandvice....Let's see were way over the cap and don't have anything close to a championship contender healthy or not. You are right great GM

Posted by: beas13 | February 19, 2009 3:18 PM

I never was a fan of Eddie Jordan's rotation, but somehow the team won, with the exception of this season. But now, I have no clue about Tappscotts, rotation McGee's minutes jump from 15 to 8 to 25 and back down to 6. Also I don't know Tappscott's defensive or offensive strategy, it looks like isolation for Caron and Jamison and on defense watch players drive to the hoop.

ERNIE, BRING BACK EDDIE JORDAN OR SIGN AVERY JOHNSON!!!!!

Posted by: rcnasa | February 19, 2009 3:25 PM

beas13 if putting a contender together was as easy as you say everyone would be doing it.I want a GM thats not going to jump at every trade that comes his way. I remember Ike Austin,Mich Richmond and some of the other brilliant moves we've made in the past.To suggest Ernie is leaving this team in shambles is just not paying attention.

Posted by: wiz313 | February 19, 2009 4:07 PM

"It's not that simple Keith28dagger because Hughes is still hurt."

No, he's not. He's not playing because Del Negro benched him because he was playing poorly, selfsshly, and all the while complaining about not getting enough PT.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 19, 2009 5:26 PM

"Shambles? That's a huge stretch in two of the three cases (here and NY), and just a stretch in the third (Milwaukee)."

Not only did Grunfeld not leave NY in a shambles, he was let go in large part because he opposed the trade (Ewing's expiring contract for a bunch of stiffs from Seattle) that is directly responsible for throwing the Knicks into the shambles theyy're in right now.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 19, 2009 5:32 PM

I am at the point where I would prefer the exit of AJ and the rest of the older vets, and time to go young like Portland.

I was hoping AJ to Clevland would happen, then we could actually focus on team defense and going very young.
Such is not the case, and we stand pat with a 12 win team.

Hated the ET contract when we matched Milwaukee, I believe, and also the DS signing...dismal deals both.
I am surprised that Dsong was not moved, he seemed like a good match for several of the top tier teams, but lo he remains ours. Which would be great if he was utilized as a back up 4, instead of our starting center.

So the beat goes on. Let's hope Taps realizes the futility of the season and truly goes young, am not holding my breath!

Posted by: mricklen | February 19, 2009 6:11 PM