You Tell Us: What Moments Stand Out?

Okay, the Wizards haven't exactly been livening up the party, so we might as well have a little more fun here on Wizards Insider. In the next few days we can kick around some potential Wiz trades, both possible and imagined, and talk about the All Star Game, the next coach or whatever comes up. (I realize we usually do this anyway, but humor me.)

Sunday night, that was fun. Caron Butler's fourth-quarter tear and game-winner was something to remember. One of the few "I was there!" or "I was watching!" moments so far. Maybe only the Cleveland win comes close.

Those of you who observe a little more closely might be able to pull out some others -- perhaps a JaVale McGee dunk or something. Or we can can flip it. Perhaps this year's memorable moments began with the injury news in the preseason.

However you define it, you tell us: What moments from the Wizards' season so far stand out?

By Keith McMillan  |  February 10, 2009; 8:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monday Update: Blatche Still Ailing
Next: Who's the Best No. 10?

Comments

Unfortunately for me, the stand-out moment was hearing the severity of Haywood's injury. Knowing that he would miss most of the year made it clear that we would not be able to compete at a high level, and were less likely to see Arenas push himself to come back to a lottery team.

I haven't had to the chance to watch them play too often because I live in Charlotte; aside from the Cleveland game, every one that I've been able to watch has been painful.

Posted by: DSEIBEL | February 10, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse

The wins over Cleveland and this past Sunday over the Pacers stand out,obviously since I blog about it all the time the firing of Eddie Jordan was the downside of this season since it seemed more personal than business and Grunfeld's still a bufoon!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 10, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

the friendly fire incident taking down Brendan, now that was a shot in the eye :(

Posted by: WizardsExtreme | February 10, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The firing of Eddie Jordan only to be replaced by the Director of Player Developement. Now THAT, was a momemnt for me.

Posted by: ivyleague | February 10, 2009 9:39 AM | Report abuse

This has been such a horrific season--the only things positive have been JM running the floor and dunking and the gradual development of DMac (how many blocks did he have the other night!)

...for the future, my magic 8-ball says...see Dwane Wade and Miami. This is the path Wiz are now on. Ernie knows what he needs next season is a rebounding, defensive minded starting "true" 4, so he can bring AJ off the bench. With this, GA coming back like DW did for Miami, and a veteran playoff-experienced coach...all the problems will be solved.

Posted by: oddjob1 | February 10, 2009 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elscorcho | February 10, 2009 9:54 AM | Report abuse

It's funny how Ivan wants to stir the pot by having us come up with crazy trades (which I enjoy), but goes totally against his W.Post mentors named Kornheiser and Wilbon who detest the Wiz Insider world.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, let's blame "Kevin McMillan" instead...not Ivan.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Play of the season:

Javale McGee wins the tip-off and shoves the ball to Butler who then hits a streaking McGee for the slam dunk.

Everybody was caught off-guard and Taps had to demote him after that showmanship.

Posted by: Izman | February 10, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately the moment for me was when Gil said what no one else wanted to: The Wiz are playing for the lottery.

BTW- are we going to win the lottery and get another freakin' Kwame Brown in next year's draft? I don't see one big-time, potential 10-time All-Star on the Board. A bunch of mediocre point guards and no good bigs.

Posted by: jojod | February 10, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Nick Young's 30 point efforts in to start off the 2009 year.

And Butler's 15 point 4th quarter vs. the Pacers, its about time he did what we all know he can do. And what he should have been doing all season long!

Posted by: avbanig | February 10, 2009 10:25 AM | Report abuse

What moment from the Wizards' season so far stands out?

I'd have to say there are a plethora of moments that stand out primarily because of the absence of Arenas. Moments where the Wizards faltered in the fourth quarter or played with seemingly no energy, enthusiasm or confidence that leave one to wonder..."what if"?

Posted by: blackman1 | February 10, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I guess like others said also... the cleveland win! And the 'crab dribble' hahahhahaha!!!!!!!

Posted by: avbanig | February 10, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: djnumb | February 10, 2009 10:30 AM | Report abuse

"That first game that JaVale McGee came in. You saw his first thunderous alley-oop, and you were like "awww yeah, we got something here."

Posted by: djnumb | February 10, 2009 10:30 AM "

Please reference the infamous quote from the Wizard of Westwood with regard to how overrated the dunk shot is.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

NONE!!!

Eddie's firing should have been, but the hire killed any significant importance of the move.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 10, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

To which Bucky screams:

"NOT POSSIBLE....NOT POSSIBLE....NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!"

That was when you know for sure that this franchise is DOOMED!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

To me, the worst memorable moments have been watching the other teams laugh at us--most recently Denver. It's one thing to lose, it's another to get laughed out of your own gym.

The best positive is to see how Dom McGuire has surprised some big scorers with his shot-blocking. Did he get one against Tracy McGrady? You can see their faces, like who is that guy?

Posted by: jweber1 | February 10, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

"Paying Gilbert Arenas 18.5 million dollars to be a spectator. That stands out in my mind.

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 10:57 AM "

Gilby got paid twice.

First with a $65 mil contract to which he opted out early in order to "feed his family," and then got offered $127 mil while gimpy.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I mean, paying for this season. He is being paid to watch. he knew it before he signed. Essentially, he turned a 6 year 111 million deal into a 5 year 111 million deal. Not bad.

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"I'm sure it is burning him deep down though, watching Ovechkin take over this city. If the Caps make a Stanley Cup run, Gilbert will be long forgotten when Basketball starts back up next season. He is well aware.

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 11:08 AM "

Ovenchkin was MVP last season.

Gilby's got a long way to go, and many better players ahead of him before he will, if ever, realize that achievement.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 11:17 AM | Report abuse

the 11-40 record

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 10, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

"I agree 100% with that. He will never win an MVP. But he is greedy and selfidh, and demands the spotlight. That is one of the main reasons he stayed in DC, he knew he would be the face of the town. He has been quoted “you know who’s picture is on the arena”, referring to the poster of him on the VC wall outside. Now with the Caps success, and a young Ovechkin (who will be here for quite some time), Gilbert is quickly becoming a forgotten face. Bad for him, bad for marketing. That is one of the main reasons Abe signed the guy, marketing. If Gil comes back and the Wiz are no better than a .500 team, nobody will really give a damn about him. Point is, this is very quickly becoming Ovechkin’s city, something Gilbert did not assume would happen. Fans are drawn to winners. The Caps are getting national attention, and OV is getting world-wide attention. Point is, the more the Caps continue to win, the more the pressure on Gilbert when he returns. Fans are drawn to winners, and lack of attendance at Wizards games has absolutely nothing to do with the economy. The Caps are selling out every night, and they are winning. Gilbert has a sh!tload of work to do when he gets back, or else this franchise is doomed for years to come, financially that is.

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 11:17 AM "

All this "greedy, selfish, demands the spotlight, etc." unfortunately metastisized outside of the basketball court into coming out parties, parachute runs, biking around town, blacktop ball at Barry Farms, olympic sized pools/skating rink, kicking Laura out of the house, etc., all with a camera following behind him.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"For me it's seeing Lebron get called for traveling in the closing seconds of a tight game. NEVER thought I'd see the day. "

YES! I was there, arguing with Cavs fans the entire game. That, and Deshawn shooting .10% will be the things I remember from this season.

Posted by: tmilt27@aol.com | February 10, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Gilby's #1 goal last season was to get paid, and he came back a few games just to remind people that he still exists and wants to get paid. Now that he's paid, no one knows if he has that fire anymore.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 11:38 AMP

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 10, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"To me, the shiniest moment (shine like a turd) happened a few seasons ago during the Milwaukee debacle where Michael Ruffin rebounds a missed shot, throws it up into the air in hopes of the clock running out, and then it's caught by Mo Williams(?) who promptly sinks a long 3 to win the game after being down by a lot...I think this game went into multiple OT's.

To which Bucky screams:

"NOT POSSIBLE....NOT POSSIBLE....NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!"

That was when you know for sure that this franchise is DOOMED!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 10:54 AM

Posted by: tmilt27@aol.com | February 10, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

It was mo peterson who banged that three after michael ruffin's all-time bonehead play. As far as this season goes, javale's block on magette and taking it the distance the other way is the individual play of the year for me. He also forced barbosa to shoot a ball entirely over the backboard by challenging his shot which was sweet and blocked a shot on ricky davis by barely tipping it with his entire hand over the square, freakish, not many even think about trying to block that one. My guess is snatching a quarter off the top of the backboard might be doable for javale. The point being javale's combination of length and athleticism proves to be interesting, either train wreck, can't look away bad or freakishly impressive. Caron's takeover and the crybaby (let me pretend I got hit in the face) crab are also there. Blatche's D in Houston also stands out, yao got owned somehow.

Posted by: bford1kb | February 10, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I usually try to attend about 5 games per season. This year watching a game in person was not in the plans but somehow I ended up at the game Sunday night. Glad I got to see us get a victory in the 4th. Did think Granger was going to steal it from us but Caron came through. He wouldnt let us lose. That game and Eddie Jordan getting fired are the moments of the season for me.

Posted by: tywill28 | February 10, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"This quote below, allegedly by DCMan88, is full of inaccuracies. it was against Toronto, and it was Mo Peterson, not Mo Williams.

To which Bucky screams:

"NOT POSSIBLE....NOT POSSIBLE....NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!!"

That was when you know for sure that this franchise is DOOMED!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 10:54 AM

Posted by: tmilt27@aol.com | February 10, 2009 12:24 PM "

Please note the "?" after I said Mo Williams.

Given all that, it was darn funny.

Apparently "not possible" was very possible, and repeatable, for Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Chris Bosh is not going to sign with Toronto when he becomes a free agent in 2010. Toronto is going to have to move him at some point. I believe the Wizards should make a play for Bosh.

Trade Scenario:

Chris Bosh

for

Antwan Jamison
#1 draft pick

I think this deal works out for both teams. The Wiz would then need to concentrate on signing Bosh to a max deal long term. Our starting line up next season would be.

Arenas PG
Young SG
Haywood C
Bosh PF
Butler SF

I think with that starting lineup and with our bench we could compete for the East title. We will NEVER win a Championship with Jamison, so move him now. His numbers are only going to decline over the next three years. You have guys like Arenas and Butler in their prime, you have to make a move to win now.

Posted by: dominic10464 | February 10, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"Please! YOU NEVER STOP! You are still so Gilbert-obsessed (aka JEALOUS) despite the fact that he has not even played all season and has not been in the limelight, news, etc.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 10, 2009 11:59 AM "

Even if you didn't say it, your mindset is still the same.

Did you buy your playoff tickets yet for this post season?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

As far as a coach goes I like the idea of marc jackson but still am not convinced getting a guy who hasn't coached before would be good for this roster,although I do feel he'd be good relating to the players it's just scary having a guy who hasn't done it before. I just like the idea because I can envision this team being led by marc the player, it's a beautiful vision. I like what sam mitchell did in toronto even though they didn't, the wiz should have really just traded coaches with them. Eddie would fit well up there too. I think hiring avery johnson would probably result in a mutiny and flip saunders just rubs me the wrong way. A personal pick would be john thompson, as bright and insightful a man as has ever ruled the bench, he would most certainly command respect and the young guys would have a true litmus test of character and skill, if john says no, you are gone. Yes this is a pipe-dream.

Posted by: bford1kb | February 10, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

For me the highlight of the season so far was beating the Cavs on January 4. Although the victory over the Pacers last Sunday was therapeutic, to me the win over the Knicks was better because the team managed for one night to recover from a blown lead in the fourth. The D in the last few minutes of that game was exceptional.

Long term, I think this season has been significant for the emergence of Andray Blatche. Ever since Blatche called himself out in mid-December (I believe it was after the Pacers game) for only getting two rebounds in the game, he has been far more consistent and has shown real signs of being a dependable sixth man.

Best individual play for me was Dominic McGuire dunking on Andres Nocioni in Chicago and telling him "That was for Pesh."

Posted by: jonathan30033 | February 10, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Jamison should be shopped aggressively, his attitude has worn on me, the other night he said it was good "three of us" got it done. Referring to the fact that he, caron and nick led the squad scoring the ball. How about the other guys contributing? why not say "thanks dom for erasing a chunk of my mistakes on d?" Either way this comment seems to be the norm from aj these days. He wants his points worse than anything else it seems, he plays hard, but really needs to understand his game better and humble. He gets slaughtered on d, but if his numbers are there it seems he is content to write the team's problems off as being all on the other guys.

Posted by: bford1kb | February 10, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

"Weren't you the one who said that the Les BouleS inauspicious beginning to this season at 0-5 was nothing to worry about since they were also 0-5 last season?

Even if you didn't say it, your mindset is still the same.

Did you buy your playoff tickets yet for this post season?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 12:43 PM"

I absolutely did not say that - in fact, I have rarely posted on the blog this season. But every time I "visit" it's the same OLD stuff from you - "gilbert jealousy" and comments about how the team sucks - the same comments you made in the good times.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 10, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, I hate to break your fragile part, but most of what “DCMAN” says is true. Anyone who follows the Wizards to any degree knows about Gilbert Arenas. He had a blog where he talked about his off-court life more than the failures of his team, he documented how he was taking overseas trips when he was supposed to be rehabbing, and he loves the attention. One does not have to be “obsessed” with Gilbert to know all of these things. I have news for you, he signed largest contract in DC sports history (per year pay, Ovechkin has the largest overall). With that comes scrutiny, and the immense pressure to perform and LEAD this team to a championship.

One does not have to do “google” searches all day, or check the National Archives, to know about Gilbert. He posts that BS (all the crap about his wife and movies) on his blog all day (used to). It has become apparent in the past 2 years (based on the trends of his actions and words) that Gil cares more about marketing than winning. A prime example is when he referred to the playoff series last year against Cleveland as a “success” for Deshawn and the Wizards because Jay-Z was involved and it earned the Wiz a game on Christmas. He said the trash talk Deshawn spit to Lebron was smart, because it created marketing. He really called it great marketing. He failed to mention the fact that Wizards lost for the 3rd straight year to the Cavs, which is the bottom line, and quite pathetic.

He has not played in 2 years, and he is getting paid more than anyone in this city, questions deserved to be asked, and criticism deserves to be dished. Facts are facts Lisa, although I don’t agree with everything he says, DCMAN is not making anything up.

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

part=heart

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"Facts are facts Lisa, although I don’t agree with everything he says, DCMAN is not making anything up.

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 1:13 PM "

Poor Lisa must be in convulsions right now after all those facts/knowledge you dropped on her.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"You must be a masochist since you dwell 24-7 on a blog for a team you seem to despise.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 10, 2009 1:00 PM "

You'd be surprised to learn that I probably haven't made more than one post/day on this Wiz Insider for the past 2-3 weeks until today.

You'll learn your lesson from your unconditional devotion to Gilby just as DWade's wife learned.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | February 10, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I will aways remember Tap playing "the vets" like Mike James & Song heavy minutes regardless of effectiveness or match-ups.
Also playing Caron and AJ 40+ minutes a game in blowout losses repeatedly.

Posted by: closg | February 10, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

How about this for a trade. It worked on the trade machine.

Blazers get:
Jamison and Etan Thomas

Wizards get:
Expiring contract of Reaf LeFrence and cash.

I know this sound stupid but here me out. We trade Jamison get an rid of Etan Thomas contract.

We get money under our cap so we can SIGN SOME PLAYERS and get a top 5 pick. Maybe number one pick to replace Jamison (Blake Griffen).

But the wiz will not do this.

Posted by: Bigmon411 | February 10, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 10, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, I wasn’t aware. I used to read the blog, but never really posted like that. If DCman called people vulgar names, then I don’t agree with that. There are one or two “know it alls” on this blog who have a rude tone in their posts. You are not one of them, so I have nothing but kind words for you.

Posted by: cj658 | February 10, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

"cj658, I do not have a fragile psyche and I'm not bopelessly devoted to Gilbert. Just get sick of DCMan's insane jealous of Gil - he needs to get over it. Gil has not played all season so even mentioning him is a non issue. Not sure how long you have been on the blog but DCMan was going off on Gil (and the team) when they were winning and Gil was lighting it up. Whenever any of us complained he called us vicious names...only reason he has cleaned that up is because of registration.

Posted by: Lisa_R | February 10, 2009 3:19 PM "

If you weren't hopelessly devoted, then why are you crying about the truths about Gilby?

Get over yourself.