You Tell Us: Your Reaction to an Arenas Return

So if Gilbert's revelation that he's been going full-speed in practice since Feb. 16 means he's going to play again, be it tonight against the 76ers or anytime before the Apr. 15 finale in Boston, what does that mean to you?

There are so many potential reactions, from "Noooo! There goes Blake Griffin" to "Sweet, now I can renew my season tickets!" Share your best.

How would seeing him take the floor this season affect how you feel about the Wizards? You tell us.

By Keith McMillan  |  February 25, 2009; 12:12 AM ET
 | Tags: Gilbert Arenas, injury
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arenas Practicing (updated)
Next: The Other Side: Philadelphia 76ers

Comments

It would be very encouraging to see Gilbert play. I'm very excited to see him play with our young core, it's been so long since the last time he stepped on the court. I think he should try to use the last few games in the season to build some chemistry and get himself in back in shape. Also, it would be nice to see the Wizards win few more games. Having the worst record doesn't guarantee us the number one pick.

Posted by: MOrgil | February 25, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

who cares except abe since it will help him sell season tickets next year

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 25, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Next season depends on arenas. it would be good to see him out there doing what he did before all the injuries.

the lottery is a crapshoot. even if we lose the most games there's a good chance we won't get number one. besides griffin, there's not much out there. if we get the number 2 pick, I would but it together with thomas and/or james for a guard to come in and hit the 3's because the wiz lack a sharpshooter on the outside since roger mason jr left.

Posted by: dcsports12 | February 25, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2009 12:54 AM | Report abuse

As has been documented on numerous occasions in this space, Bulletsfan78 is anything BUT a bullets/wizards fan. But keep telling yourself you are one, guy.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 25, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Agreed. It's easy to bash someone for eternal optimism, but there's something to be said in protest of eternal pessimism. or cynicism.

Posted by: crs-one | February 25, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

Barno1,

Gil could come back and play 10 games this season and then hurt his knee during the off season. That's why it's no big deal to see him play this year. When he comes back and plays 70 games next year then I will be impressed.

Just because I can actually think on my own and I don’t listen to everything the organization tells me, does not mean I am not a fan? I just wish the old man would sell the team...okay that means I am not a fan of Cheap Abe.

I did not like George W. does that mean I lose my US citizenship?

I have been following the Senators/Rangers for years and I am still a fan even though they su@k. I learned at an early age (11) when Robert Short picked up and left town that sports is just a business to these owners.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 25, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

Arenas could also get hit by a bus crossing the street this morning. The difference is, the Wizards organization has no control over when he crosses the street.

Knee cartilage doesn't re-grow or regenerate after surgery. Once it's gone, it's gone. From that point on, an athlete's knee is like a race car car tire: there are a finite number of miles you can ride on it before the tread wears away completely. The difference is, you can't swap the knee out for a new one. (Well, technically, you can; you just can't play pro bball on the new one.) Given that medical reality, what do the Wizards have to gain by wasting the miles left on Arenas' knee playing him in meaningless games in a lost season? They need to maximize the miles he's got left.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 25, 2009 2:20 AM | Report abuse

My reaction? Underwhelmed.

Like most things that seem to concern the Wiz this lost season -- it's too little, too late.

I'd love to see Gilbert at full speed, doing what he does so well. He's the ultimate free spirit on the basketball court.

I guess I'd rather see that next season, with a rookie lottery pick signed, and maybe even Brendan Haywood and the much-criticized Stevenson back on the court, too.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2009 3:29 AM | Report abuse

barno1:"It wouldn't affect how I feel about the Wizards--my love for them is unconditional. But it would be great to see him out there and try to get Haywood in there as well before season's end.
And anyone who thinks Gilbert should not come back this season is either A) paranoid B) not a wiz fan."

Now be good, Barno. People are allowed to disagree with you here. No 'Hall of Shame' and that other stuff you like to pull. No inviting other posters to leave. None of this real fans vs the enemy stuff, either.

All fans here, Barno1. You'll be lucky to join them.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2009 3:33 AM | Report abuse

I honestly do not care one iota. The only thing that would excite me is if they werre able to unload his contract & get back half-way decent value.

His contract will cripple the Wiz until the contract expires.

Posted by: renostaging2005 | February 25, 2009 3:43 AM | Report abuse

renostaging2005

You are going to upset barno1 with that kind of post. Don't you know you can't be a fan unless you drink the kool aid!

I wonder where all the booing comes from at the games?

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 25, 2009 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Will the Wizzards have the worst records in the NBA? Will Arenas ever be the player he once was? Will Grumfield at the end of the season be dealt the same hand he dealt eddie Jordan? Stay tuned the wors or best is yet to come. Arenas coming back will put fans in the seats but will not help the team. A year or so ago when Arena came back near the end of the season it didn't help the Wizards at all, matter of fact they looked more out of sync.

In my opinion the wizards should write Jamison and Butlers name on the board along with Blatche and McGee and the evaluate the rest. They need to take a serious look at this team. Thye got rid of Roger Mason jr and he is doing well in San Antonio, HMMMMM? I think they should get rid of Grumfield and hire someone that can recognize talent

Posted by: Al_The_Truth | February 25, 2009 6:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Al_The_Truth | February 25, 2009 6:55 AM

Yeah!! He can't identify talent to save his life! I mean, how dare he trade Kwame Brown for Caron? How dare he let Jared Jeffries go? How dare he trade our draft pick for a double double machine? Who does he think he is!!!!

Posted by: CBell29 | February 25, 2009 7:11 AM | Report abuse

If he can come back physically, he should. They need to see how this team works (or doesn't) with Arenas. I doubt he's going to make that much of a difference in terms of wins-loses that they'll lose their lottery spot. He'll play, what, 10-15 minutes? As an old school guy, what I get tired of are these prima dona superstars who make and communicate decisions unilaterly. Did you see how Tracy McGrady said he's shutting it down for the season and his coach learned about it through the media? Happens a lot, but it shouldn't. And it sends the message to the younger players--screw the coach and management, we decide. Arenas has done everything solo his entire career sometimes to his detriment, and Eddie Jordan confirmed that during his interview with Comcast several days ago. Time for this franchise to regain more control over their $100 million investment.

Posted by: jweber1 | February 25, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: stevie2 | February 25, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

CBell29: "I mean, how dare he trade Kwame Brown for Caron? How dare he let Jared Jeffries go?"

That was a terrific trade, wasn't it? And the Jeffries move turned out OK, too, although it's hard to guess how much of that outcome was due to the general malaise in NY.

Still, the NBA is all 'what have you done for me lately?' And I'm afraid Grunfeld will be judged more for the Arenas signing than anything else. If that works out, he's aces. If it doesn't....

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2009 7:25 AM | Report abuse

bulletsfan78:"I wonder where all the booing comes from at the games?"

Nattering nabobs of negativism, no doubt.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Even if we get lucky and got the 1st pick, can we sign him with our financial situation? Do we even want yet another young player? I think Ernie would be packaging that pick anyway for a veteran player.

Posted by: tundey | February 25, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

"no reason for him to come back this year. they are committed to going with the big three next year anyway. might as well just let the knee chill until july or so.

Posted by: stevie2"

If they're committed to going with Arenas next year, then he needs to come back this year. You can't come back from missing 2 years of basketball (and almost all physical activity) and just turn the magic back on at the snap of a finger. Arenas is going to be rusty...for a while. The earlier he can come back (healthily), the better for the Wizards next season.

Posted by: psps23 | February 25, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Something needs to change b/c it is obvious Tapscott can't handle things, nor can any of the other coaches. So why not bring him back. Even if he comes back at full Gilbert Arenas strength that doesn't mean we'll win the rest of the games in the season.

Posted by: lameotron | February 25, 2009 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I said this earlier this season, and I'll say it again -- Arenas should come back when it gets to the point that it is ridiculous that he is not playing in games. If he is kicking butt in practice, feeling no pain, no soreness, and isn't worried mentally about anything, then start playing in games. Anything short of that, wait until next year.

Still waiting for that retraction and an explanation, Ivan.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 25, 2009 8:39 AM | Report abuse

"Off-topic but I'm curious: anyone have any thoughts on the Jim Calhoun blowup the other day (in response to a question about his salary)? The radio bloviators defended Calhoun but I notice the governor of Connecticut was 'embarrassed' by it, and thought Calhoun was too."

Speaking of Uconn, how about Hasheem Thabeet. I cant wait for the rematch against Pitt. They looked awful last night.

Posted by: cj658 | February 25, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

I'd like to see him play short stretches in some games (no back-to-backs!). As we saw last year, his return really seemed to put the team out of sync. I doubt his return this year is going to result in that many more wins, but...

1). It will give show us what we have and get the awkwardness of the readjustment out of the way in a lost season (rather than starting 0-5 again next year)
2). It'll be a lot more fun to watch--love him or hate him, Gil is an exciting on-court personality
3). It's his duty to play basketball if he is healthy, and I believe that would go a long way towards silencing the peanut gallery. Regardless of what he says, Gil wants the crowd to love him. His psyche needs the love, and he's not going to get it riding the pine while healthy.

Posted by: lindaloulubbock | February 25, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

It's a rough season when some one breaks out a Spiro T. Agnew qoute...

Any roster and it's effectiveness is altered dynamiclly by the presense or the loss of a top 15 talent in the league. And before the injury that's clearly what Gil was.

The unanswered question is can Gil return to his former self on the court? Many of the games greats have put up Hall of Fame numbers after missing time with a serious knee surgery. My bet is Gil will too.

Playing this year will help Gil shake off the rust and regain the timing from a two year layoff. Gil and the team will be able to see that for themselves on the practice court.

The only reason to return to regular season games will be to restore confidence in the fan base. The first time he nails a three at the buzzer we'll all know he's back.

Posted by: flohrtv | February 25, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Arenas coming back now is nothing more than an amateur front-office ploy to keep season-ticket holders from jumping off.

It's self-serving and short-sided and puts the franchise player and the franchise's long-term prospects at unnecessary risk. Sit him until next year.

Posted by: sunnyman1 | February 25, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting for that retraction and an explanation, Ivan.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 25, 2009 8:39 AM

Why? to satisfy your childish need to rub his face in his misinformation?

He explained it already. Everybody was covering for arenas to keep off the media pressure. He was lied to, and not without good reason.

Congratulations to the people who reported arenas practicing.

Posted by: crs-one | February 25, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

This year is shot. Gil needs to shut it down until next year. I don't care what Jamison or anyone else says. They were losers for umpteen years and I watched. This year, I am watching and looking for development of McGee, Blatche, DMac, Jarvaris, and Nick. What good would it help for next year if Gil got hurt in some meaningless game. Im still watching the games.

Posted by: G-Man11 | February 25, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: G-Man11 | February 25, 2009 9:11 AM

Hibachi could get hurt barbecuing ribs at a summer cookout or walking his wife's poodle. It's time to man up! If you're healthy then be a professional and battle with your teammates. Nothing is promised for next season. Are you telling me you don't want to see Nick and Gil play together for 20 games? You don't want to see Gil advising Critt how to blow by his guy and then show him next trip down.

Agent Zilch has flakey tendencies so let's not feed that fire anymore than we have been. Get right, then return next month and start making the league pay for clowning your team!

Posted by: elfreako | February 25, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to risk winning too many games in March. I also don't want to say Tapscott pulling an EJ and playing Gilbert 40 mpg (idiot!).

Have him come back at the end of March playing 10-15 mpg, ramp him up gradually to 30 mpg by the end of April, see what you've got. Does he still have it? Or is he done? That'll give you an indication of where to go next summer. If Gil is done, the core of AJ, CB, and GA is done. Blow the thing up, trade AJ and/or CB for young talent and expirings (because you won't be able to trade Gil) and build around McGee and next year's draft pick. If Gil still has it, hold onto the big three and Haywood, and then address the glut of mediocre big men we have (Haywood, McGee, Blatche, Songaila). If we get Blake Griffin maybe it's time to make a move to free up luxury cap space that involves, say, Blatche plus our junk. Make sure you get an above average defensive two in return, hold onto McGuire and Javaris and McGee to anchor our bench, and we've got a chance at the championship if we can just stay healthy.

Posted by: ZonkertheBrainless | February 25, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I think it is critical to show prospective new coaches that Arenas and Haywood will be here, healthy & ready come September.
Although I still want Blake Griffin too :)

Posted by: djnumb | February 25, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

elfreako and any other gilbert basher, since you are so against gil, why do you want to see him play so bad. You can't have it both ways. grow up

Posted by: G-Man11 | February 25, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Gil needs to stay put on the bench, keep rehabbing and strengthening that knee and come back next season at full strength. Gil was right, each time he came back too soon, he hurt himself and the team. This season is a wrap and I'd hate to see Gil aggravate the injury and have to sit out a sizable chunk of next season...

Posted by: MEssex | February 25, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Although I still want Blake Griffin too :)

Posted by: djnumb

----

That's an underrated point and one that may get lost under the surface of his return. I agree. The outlook of this team will be very important to prospective coaches deciding between more than one team.

Posted by: psps23 | February 25, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

GILBERT IS BACK!!!! The allstar big three is back. This time with a bench that can produce when they need a breather. And a lottery pick is just gravy. I'm ready are you ready

Posted by: Keith28dagger | February 25, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

to see gilbert back would be like seeing the caps win a stanley cup for me...i love gilbert and i need to see him back

Posted by: RussianMachineNeverBreaks | February 25, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elfreako | February 25, 2009 9:22 AM

elfreako,

Was that a typo or a Freudian slip?

Maybe you meant…..

You don't want to see Gil advising Critt how to blow by his guy and then get shown up by him your next trip down the court, because you are showing off for the fans and not playing defense.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 25, 2009 9:56 AM | Report abuse

djnumb's right on. Let's see if some solid but limited minutes for Gil and BTH this year can entice a coaching talent to come to DC. What's Thibodeu's situation in Boston? They wouldn't prevent him from taking a head coaching job, would they?

Posted by: mugsybol | February 25, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

CBELL29: Before you give EG Exec.of the Year award know this; Caron for Kwame trade? stop giving him credit for that move the trade was a no brainer a UConn all american first team mind you for a HS phenom who has turned into a first round bust,Please!!!,you don't make that trade you should be fired, Jamison was traded for Devin Harris if memory serves me correctly so that's a wash and i think we through "Stackmouth" in there.As far as GIL is concerned what's the rush Ernie killed the playoffs before the season started, let Gil take his time i'll say the last ten games would fine.

Posted by: dargregmag | February 25, 2009 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I am mixed on GA coming back. If he does I agree with the posts that it should be a limited role.

However, I feel that Tapscott is poison to the growth and direction of the Team. That being said, GA's return under Taps is meaningless.

What I want to hear out of this organization is that they are doing some serious courting of a first rate coach.

I think that is foremost and paramount over anything else.

Barno1, I also agree with 78's point, but like Samson151 says, We all Fans here.

Djnumb your point about showcasing for enticement of a good coach is valid. I'm for anything that gets us a coach that knows and demands winning.

That decision should have been made when we were 1 and 10. If it were, Arenas might be playing NOW!

LarryInClintonMD

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 25, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Don't rush Gil back. We don't want to do that again for sure. When he's ready we can ramp up his minutes... but we don't need to wear him out with the season long gone. Imagine the possibility of next season with the addition of Gil, Haywood, and Blake Griffin. We need to get the young'uns quality minutes (esp. McGee) and see whos gonna develop and whos not. If we win the lottery, take Blake. If we get a lower pick, I agree - we package it for a quality vet.

I've been going to Bullets games since the 70's and I love the team through good years and bad. Thank god this barno character (is he related to that purple dinosaur?) is not in the front office.

Posted by: FunStreet | February 25, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Still waiting for that retraction and an explanation, Ivan.
Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 25, 2009 8:39 AM
Why? to satisfy your childish need to rub his face in his misinformation?
Congratulations to the people who reported arenas practicing.
Posted by: crs-one | February 25, 2009 9:08 AM

How about your childish need to kiss Ivan’s a$$??

Posted by: cj658 | February 25, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

“Ernie killed the playoffs before the season started”

Posted by: cj658 | February 25, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

I'll believe when I see it. - Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 25, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Who cares at this point. Play the young guys.

"You can't afford to have a guy struggling with his shot shoot you out of a game," Tapscott said of Nick Young.

In my best Seth Myers Saturday Nigh Live voice:

Really? Really Tap? Really?

Check the standings Professeur. You haven't even won 15 games yet. Who's shooting you outta games right now genius?

Really?

Posted by: dovelevine | February 25, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Since they say Gil is running with the young guys. I wonder if Gil's running at the two when playing with Critt and the point when playing with Young?

That's what I envision him doing next year. James will either be a veteran 3 pt specialist or gone.

Some reports indicate Stevenson may have a bad disk. That's a rough one for a guard to recover from, I'm wondering if there's been anything said lately about that.

There could be a real changing of the guard between now and next season if Stephenson is permanently hobbled.

Grunfeld could really need to see how Critt, Young and Gil fit together in a rotation to know what he's got in the backcourt for next year.

If Young's not cutting it, Hardin could move onto the radar screen if we're only in the top 5 and not #1.

Posted by: flohrtv | February 25, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Leave him alone until next season. Having him in now does no good. Start off fresh in at training camp in mid September...Same with Haywood since we are STUCK with this colossal mess (unless this team proves it really can win a championship as it is built)for a few more years.

Posted by: ejharrisjr40 | February 25, 2009 11:29 AM | Report abuse

The mere mention of Gil on this blog sure "brings em out of the wood work"!

Let the madness begin!

Posted by: flohrtv | February 25, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wiz medical stuff has cleared him too early twice before. I will be extra cautious, and sit extra two months after he is cleared to play!

Posted by: sagaliba | February 25, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

So, which has been more pathetic -- the Wizards or our no-snow winter? Vote in our poll over at Capital Weather Gang:

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | February 25, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

cj658:"Actually Eddie did when HE started 1-10 with two bona fide all-stars leading his team. He then lost to Knicks team with NO all-stars, and 7 guys on their roster. That’s when things unraveled, Ernie wasn’t coaching that team."

No, but he did assemble it. So Grunfeld can't avoid a chunk of responsibility for its performance.

Neither can Jordan or Tapscott.

Still, I tend to think it's mostly a combination of fixed and variable factors. The fixed: the awarding of those long-term contracts to current stars, in spite of age, injury history, and other warning signs. The fact that most of their potential replacements are young and inexperienced, if talented enough. The reality that the Wiz have been drafting from that sinkhole in the middle of the first round for quite a while now.

And the variables: the injuries. The sudden coaching change a dozen games into the season. The resulting decision (for whatever reason) to go with an interim guy, one who hadn't been on the bench for a good long while.

All those factors played a role. I couldn't put a percent figure on it.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

The argumnent of sitting Gilbert to let the young guys develop is not valid.

They need to develop into players that know what to do when Gil is running the point.

It's a different game with an all-star point guard, and the youngins need a taste of that. In our case especially, Gil sets one of the fastest paces in the NBA. That's a completely different game to grow into than the disfunctional guardless-princeton thing we've had ever since AD abruptly deteriorated at he end of last year and into this year.

I would argue that letting the young guys develop in the absence of a good PG might be doing them more harm than good

Posted by: cballer | February 25, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

I think he should get that knee specialist in Miami to clear him before he gets back in uniform. That guy seems to have more cred than the wizards' doctors.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | February 25, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I think he's gotten "extra time" this time. Remember the original time table was him returning in January. Well, it's almost March. He needs to play this season at some point.

Someone brought up the issue of him getting hurt in meaningless games. Well, much better now than at the start of next year and the franchise is again staring at a potential lost season.

The real issue he should have never been given that contract in the first place and I was in here saying that from day one. But, now you gotta live with it and you gotta see what you bought this season!

Posted by: rphilli721 | February 25, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I have to admit I was... baffled about Tapscott's quote regarding Nick Young and his lack of playing time. I don't think the Wiz are in "win now" mode, so with a high draft pick it makes sense to me to let Young play and evaluate him as much as possible.

McGee is the same way, Darius plays hard and does his best, but realistically, McGee needs minutes now to prepare him to back up Haywood next season.

Maybe it's to please Butler and Jamison, or maybe he thinks he's fighting for a non-interim job title (hard to believe).

And as someone mentioned above, it makes sense for Gil to come back and play limited minutes if he can without injuring himself to showcase the team to attract a better head coach. But don't risk the franchise just to try and sell season tickets.

Posted by: cwack | February 25, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Shut it down for the year! No need to see Gilbert play this year. The year is a bust. Play the young kids to give them experience. If they lose the rest of the games at least you get a better chance at landing the number 1 pick in the draft.

If he does come back you risk him tweaking the injury and we are having this same comversation next year.

Posted by: twashlack1 | February 25, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

As much as seeing Gilbert in action to shake off some of the rust accumulated over 2 years would be nice, I wouldn't risk it unless the specialist in Miami okayed it. I think the team docs here have let Agent Zero dictate his rehab and returns which is why he's been reinjured twice. Not to mention that he's our franchise's biggest investment and don't need to see him hurt just to prove he can make it back this year.

IF he's truly 100% and willing to play a limited 15-20 minutes a game to develop some chemistry with the young guys, I think it cold be a win-win. It would help the young players get used to playing with Agent Zero and might make the coaching job more appealing to prospective coaches. Same can be said for Haywood returning for the last 10-15 games as well as Stevenson (if his back is okay).

I'm hoping that we can see both GA and BTH back on a limited basis to get in some PT even if it's not going to help us win games. It shows they care about the team and want to be able to deliver some payback next year. Plus, we need to be able to evaluate our needs with our lottery pick assuming Agent Zero is not going to be anywhere close his former self.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 25, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

These blogs show how dumb DC fans can be. We have a serious grass is always greener complex here. Ernie's been here for six seasons which has turn into four visits to the playoffs in a row.

Anyone that doesn't think Jamison for, I play when I feel like it Stackhouse and a draft pick. Wasn't a good is out of their mind. You remember the playoffs that season against the bulls Jamison crying on the bench because of the knee pains but still getting double-doubles. Or two years later Gil and Caron out and putting up 34 and 10 a game.

Another thing Caron for KB wasn't a no brainier when it happen. If the rest of the NBA knew what Caron was don't you think it would of taken a little more then KB and Profit to get him and Atkins.

The Wiz are having a bad season people are mad Gilbert re-signed for 111 mil. At least this move doesn't change the team chemistry. When He's health we'll be 10 times better. Compare his signing to the signing of Baron Davis,Marcus Camby,Jermaine O'neal, Cory Megatte,Elton Brand the Shaq trade Iverson trade All huge moves that have done nothing but made the teams worst. At least we know when he comes back we are better

Posted by: Keith28dagger | February 25, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Remember back when Nick Young had those break out games and it was revealed that he was getting schooled by Gilbert in practice.

You wonder why Nick haven't continue to benefit from Gilbert's tutelage on the game floor.

The answer is Tapscott, Tapscott, and more Tapscott.

So you ask yourself; What benefit would we derive from having GA and/or Brendan back on the game floor under Tapscott's direction?

I daresay that the answer might give a leave a bad taste in your mouth.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | February 25, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

HE SHOULD RETURN THIS SEASON b/c hes making millionz of dollar while average person like us would not be makin in a lifetime.

Posted by: forbid | February 25, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

CJ658; There you go again,look behind the one and ten record and look at the real reason for the teams poor start,losing R.Mason to the Spurs,no off season moves to help the team,EG's obvious lack of support of Jordan,injuries to BTH and Arenas. Since Dick Motta, name one Bullet/Wizard coach who can match Jordan's record of four straight playoff appearance's.Whether you want to admit it or not Grunfeld is responsible for this mess not Jordan 1-10 is not the end of the world or an NBA season no one will ever know if Jordan could have pulled them out of that start after all the year before Jordan rallied the team from 0-5 start and into the playoff's and i'm sure Tapscott has it figured out by now. Yeah Right!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | February 25, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

dargregmag. I Agree Eddie should still be here. He was a great coach and i feel bad because I was amongst those who wanted him gone at the time

Posted by: Keith28dagger | February 25, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Seeing Gil play now will determine how we approach the offseason.Another thing we need to understand is theres a chance that we don't get the first pick, so we need to see what kind of team we have as soon as possible.

Posted by: wiz313 | February 25, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

EJ was a good coach, not a great coach. A great coach would have gotten more out of those 4 straight playoffs appearances.

He was a nice guy and hometown hero, but there's no point in pitying the guy. He had 6 seasons with one team -- that's an eternity in the NBA. Plus, he probably made close to $30 million. It's time to move on.

Posted by: uptownjive | February 25, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

On a total side note, EXCELLENT night of college ball tonight on ESPN:

First @ 7 on ESPN, Hasheem Thabeet and the Huskies take on Marquette.

Then @ 9 on ESPN, Terps vs Duke.

Seriously, go home tonight, crack a beer, and watch the entire Uconn game tonight, and tell me the Wizards do not need Thabeet. He’s going up a very good Marquette team tonight, so it should be a good one.

Posted by: cj658 | February 25, 2009 1:25 PM | Report abuse

True, Jordan was not a great coach (but a very good one). But given the yearly spate of injuries, lack of depth, and missing parts he had to deal with, I doubt any other coach could have gotten more out of this team than Jordan. He pretty much maxed out what he had.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 25, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

the wiz here for once. WHEN THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO GET NEW UNIFORMS. It's been 11 years now every other team has had at least 2 major uni changes in that time frame. Please!!!! I can't take those blue unies anymore. I would rather see those orange throwbacks from five years ago. anything is better the the blue unis and those gold jersey and black shorts abomination.

Posted by: Keith28dagger | February 25, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Keith28dagger

while they are at it, switch the name back to the Bullets

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 25, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, I wonder who the GM is when EJ made 4 playoff appearances.

Success goes to EJ and failure goes to EG, or is it the other way around?

I think it is hard to tell for the past 5+ years they are here. I do know that EJ wanted Haywood gone at the end of '06-'07 season. It was EG who w kept Haywood, and Haywood had a breakout season in '07-'08.

I will hold my judgment on EG until next season.

Posted by: sagaliba | February 25, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Why are James, McGuire and Songailia starting and getting so many minutes?

If winning is the objective, there are better players and better combos available to use.

Does the team recognize the need to develop the young talent if they want to get to the second round of the playoffs next year?

Does the team recognize the effect on a young player's confidence when he is pulled from the game after 2 minutes of being on the floor? (Hint: even the opposing announcers are puzzled by this behavior).

In one game before Arenas returns to action, can we see Crit, Young, Butler, Jamison (or Blatche) and McGee play together for 30-35 minutes?

Posted by: Izman | February 25, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll try to watch the Uconn game. I hope Thabeet will show me a lot more than his previous games....or maybe it will be the refs fault again.

Posted by: Dave381 | February 25, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

----------------

I still think at this point it's too early to call it a wash. Devin Harris, so far, has had half of a breakout season. Jamison has been consistently producing for years. Maybe in the future Harris may prove to be the wiser choice, but at this point, I don't think that's the case.

Posted by: crs-one | February 25, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Gilberts the man! Top 5 most exciting players in the game.

Posted by: Dwe316 | February 25, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

If The Wizards had kept Harris, he would have been in the same situation he was in in Dallas, a backup to a guy (Arenas here, Terry there) playing a lot of minutes.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 25, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

How about your childish need to kiss Ivan’s a$$??
Posted by: cj658 | February 25, 2009 10:53 AM

Please. It's not brownnosing if there's nothing to be gained. Care to suggest what I might have to gain by defending Ivan's work?

Granted, he's not perfect. There's plenty of reasons to disagree with him and he's not immune to reasonable critique. But there's absolutely no reason to trash him and dwell on every embarrassing error or scoop. The last thing we need is for him to produce less material (which is a natural reaction to underappreciation) or to leave the blog to someone else who may be less enthusiastic. He does a good job.

Posted by: crs-one | February 25, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

As a planholder who is leaning more towards than against renewing, I want to see Gil play and BTH play as soon as they are medically cleared. I think it will be important for mgmt to know what their status is in planning for the draft. Re some the other comments, I would start Critt, Blatche and possibly Young right now. James is not part of our future. Songaila is a future role/bench guy who's abilities/limitations we're already well aware of. PLAY THE KIDS, esp Critt who oughta be getting ~30 mpg.

It was time for EJ to go. He never promoted good defense here with his 'protect the paint' at all costs and his man-love for players like Ruffin and Thomas when he had a legit upper echelon defensive C in Haywood available. Last full season we allowed the ALLTIME record in 3s made by an opponent. EJ's career winning% was sub .500 with us in spite of having 2-3 allstars most of his years here.
'nuf said.

bottom line - We need to see Gil WHEN HE IS READY for planning purposes. It wouldn't hurt the psyche of the team either.

As others have pointed out, the lottery is a crapshoot and even if we had the WORST record, we'd only have a 25% chance at the #1#1, unless you believe in conspiracies.

If we can't draft a player who mgmt KNOWS without a doubt can come in, be in the rotation and produce right away, attempt to trade down and unload bad contracts like Etan and James to some team salivating over Thabeet or his ilk.

I would not be averse to then trading down and drafting a player like Curry, Henderson (sorry Duke haters), Blair or a number of others. I would not draft Thabeet. We already have McGee. I would look for either a physical PF, a solid 2 way player at the 2-3, or a stone-cold shooter. With a projected starting lineup of Haywood, AJ, Caron, Gil + Blatche/DMac/Critt, we oughta be able to draft BPA that's not a C. I would definitely snag Griffin if we did win the lotto.

Posted by: dobrojim | February 25, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

gil is right to be wary of pushing too hard but the mental hurdle is something he needs to tackle, playing scared leads to bad basketball and hes got to get on the floor to get his confidence back, when this happens I don't particularly care but seeing him play is welcomed if he's 100%, his full health is by far the most important issue, I cringe when i subject myself to watching highlights of his, it's simply brutal to see where we are now as compared to where we were with gil dropping game-winners like they were layups

Posted by: bford1kb | February 25, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

CRSONE: You’re kidding right. I’m sure Ivan appreciates you’re loyality. You say, and I quote,

“I'm a firm believer in not biting the hand that feeds. From what I can tell, Ivan is a workhorse. I have a hard time believing that he is not far exceeding his job requirements in regards to amount of posts, plenty of times still posting while ill, making posts that aren't even directly about the wizards...simply speaking, he's a fan, like us, only with a press pass. He's our ticket in. So he gives us plenty of material to keep us satiated and we spend inordinate amounts of time entertaining ourselves here. and people act like they forget that he is, at the end of the day, a real person.
if that's a** kissing, so be it. The guy doesn't deserve to take crap like that from people.”

Well yeah, I am sure Ivan really cares what the fans think of him and his work. He gets paid good money to write about a pro sports team, travel the country for free (on the post’s tab), stay at nice hotels and eat for free, and get free COURTSIDE seats to every game. Oh yeah, he gets to see Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, etc up close and personal on a nightly basis.

Anyways, yeah, sounds very stressful. I am sure the fans criticizing him takes a HUGE toll on him, and will make him do less work. Yeah right. He could care less.

Posted by: cj658 | February 25, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

with this year performance, Arenas has to play the final weeks of the season. At least the last 10-games. Frankly, season ticket sales for next year depend on it.

Lastly, after this dismal year, next year will be the real year to gauge can our big three get it done and compete for a championship if Arenas is really healthy. if not, the big three will be broke up and Grunfeld will entertain trades.

Posted by: oknow1 | February 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm very excited to have Gilbert back, for better or worse.

Just as another tidbit, for those that worry he is too selfish and his good raw stats are misleading, I read the NY Times "Moneyball: NBA" article, and it prompted me to do some research on adjusted plus/minus. The 82games.com adjustment listed the top 50 players from the 2006-2007 season (when Gilbert was last healthy, I believe), and he was ranked 4th, behind only Garnett, Lebron, and Tim Duncan. Ahead of Kobe, Wade, Nash, and whoever else. Take that for what it's worth.

Regardless, it will be great to see the player who made this team his own back in uniform!

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | February 25, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

CRSONE: Ivan is a workhorse. I have a hard time believing that he is not far exceeding his job requirements in regards to amount of posts, plenty of times still posting while ill, making posts that aren't even directly about the wizards...simply speaking, he's a fan, like us, only with a press pass. "

Ivan, you get off that computer right this minute. And set the table, dinner's almost ready.

Posted by: Samson151 | February 25, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Samson151:

LOL!

Posted by: cj658 | February 25, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

He needs to come back but it won't make a difference at this point on our lottery position. We won't win that many games at this point.

Posted by: ptp23 | February 25, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Gil should have AJ guard him at practice they way he doesn't have to worry about contact.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | February 25, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Priorities:

1. Don't do anything that would further jeopardize Gil's career.
2. If possible, get Gil in the flow at the end of the season, so that this team has a chance to re-establish timing.
3. The Wizards have fought hard for a high lottery pick the entire season, don't f-ck it up now.

The short-take away: If no risk to Gil's long-term career, let's see what he can do in the last 10 games. If Gil's long-term career is already compromised, play for the lottery.

Posted by: JPRS | February 25, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

If the Wiz could "show case" him for a possible trade, a few games would be helpful.
However, the chances of a team trading for him in the next 18 months are "slim and none."
Let him sit until training camp, with strict orders not to do anything, ride a bike, play pick up, etc. that could re-injure the knee. That way the Wiz can get as many games as possible be it 8 or 82 out of him next season.

Posted by: lrmc623 | February 25, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Too little too late.

Yeah it would be great to see Gil on the court. I mean watching this team without him and Haywood has been like watching a whole season of preseason games. Like preseason it's cool to see the young guys and bench players you usually don't see much of, and see the Wizards play although the games are meaningless.

It would create some hope for next season. But I do also want the highest pick possible to add to that hope.

Either way management has it's excuse already to not make any moves this offseason because they "want to see what they've got with this roster healthy" and keep continuity bs.

Posted by: Darnell1 | February 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Hate to dilute the medical knowledge that so many fans gain from visiting ESPN.com or watching an episode of “House,” but I just wanted to clear-up the type of damage that Gilbert had to his cartilage. He had a tear in his meniscus that needed to be sewn-up (his tear was not the type that needed to be removed) rather than degeneration of the cartilage. Below is some medical information evaluating the typical chances of success:

“Tears at the outer edge of the meniscus tend to heal well because there is good blood supply. Minor tears may heal with a brace and a period of rest. If they do not heal or if repair is deemed necessary, the tear can be sewn together using dissolvable stitches. In a young person, surgery to repair the tear may be the first choice because it may restore function. This is successful 90% to 95% of the time in this outer edge area.
When the tear extends from the outer edge into the inner area, there may be enough blood supply for healing. The tear may be repaired or removed. This is something the orthopedic surgeon decides during the surgery.“

Posted by: SportzWiz | February 25, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cj658 | February 25, 2009 3:32 PM

While we're talking about jokes, i'd like to hear you talk more about the salary of the average sports journalist. I doubt he makes what qualifies as "good" money. Beat reporters aren't high on the totem pole of a declining industry.

It's unlikely that he completely disregards the bashing. It's a normal thing to take pride in your job, so odds are good he does as well. I'm not saying he cries himself to sleep over it. But it may very well be a dark day when Ivan says eff it, this blog is too much work, the least favorite part of his job, whatever, and gives up the blog to the new kid on the post staff. No need to rush it.

Samson, I admit it was a good one. I figured it was just a matter of time before someone said it.

Regardless, I think it's ridiculous that some people take shots at a guy who they'll never have to face and who can't even defend himself without breaking professional protocol. And for what? Yeah you guys are the cool kids on the blog.

Dump on me all you want. It's the principle. He doesn't deserve to be crapped on, even by an obnoxiously vocal minority who don't feel he merits appreciation.

Posted by: crs-one | February 25, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Amen, crs-one.

Posted by: kalo_rama | February 25, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

All you Gil fans, curious how many of you would extend his contract if he showed that he was healthy ?

Posted by: renostaging2005 | February 25, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

It will just good to see Gil whenever he returns, next season i would guess, even the blogging. He did bring excitment to this team. Once more, hope he stays in contact with the Miami specialist, or the wizards contract hire him or something.

Posted by: washwiz | February 25, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Delusional , before someone jumps down my throat

Posted by: cj658 | February 26, 2009 8:47 AM | Report abuse