Arenas Might Play Against Memphis

Take it for what it's worth, but Gilbert Arenas said this afternoon that he may try to play tomorrow against Memphis rather than wait to play against Cleveland on Thursday. All along, Arenas said he planned on playing all home games and select road games, possibly Cleveland and Boston, the rest of the season.

But when asked if he still planned to play on Thursday, Arenas said, "That was the plan? I don't know. I'm going to see how [the knee] feels come Thursday. Of course, depending how I feel tomorrow, I might play tomorrow, which means I can't play Thursday."

So is he going to play against Memphis? "If my leg feels good. We're going game by game, depending on what the trainers say," he said.

I asked Arenas if it was better to wait for a game that will be televised on TNT and against a hated rival in Cleveland. Arenas said, "I'm really not here for the show right now. I'm here to work on my rehab and not play up to the crowd and the hype right now."

Arenas's comments came about 15 minutes after interim coach Ed Tapscott said that he planned on playing Arenas on Thursday, on the back end of their back-to-back, rather than using him against the Grizzlies. Tapscott also joked that he hated being restricted to playing Arenas just 28 minutes a night.

But Arenas hinted that that could change, as well. "I just want to play," Arenas said. "You miss two years of your young career, you just want to go out and play. You don't want to go there and be subject to 28 minutes. That's my only problem right now. You just want to go out and play. I missed too much of my career right now to be worried about minutes."

I really don't know what to make of that exchange. This is a guy who just said on Saturday that he's "wishy washy." So, like I said, take it for what it's worth. The truth probably won't be revealed until tomorrow night at Fed Ex Forum.

Who said the end of the season would be boring?

By Michael Lee |  March 31, 2009; 4:35 PM ET
Previous: Introductions | Next: Why Memphis Makes Sense

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

IMO Gil doesn't have control of what comes out of his mouth, heh.

Posted by: usiel3 | March 31, 2009 4:53 PM

this is exactly how he reinjured himself the first (and second - and third) time.

stick to the plan. take it slow/easy. this year doesn't matter. i would rather he shut it down completely than play one second more than 28 minutes. does anyone in this organization have any foresight/sense?

Posted by: PVGtownAz | March 31, 2009 5:01 PM

I think it is kinda funny how Gil is so far in the opposite direction from the athletes who won't talk to reporters. He says anything that may have popped in his head related to the question. And it turns out that too much information is just as useless to a reporter as not enough is.

He is the kind of player who will tell you about each possibility that may have entered his mind (Whether it is likely or not). That has to be frustrating, but I find it entertaining and rather funny. As they say, "take what Gil says worth a grain of salt."

Posted by: SportzWiz | March 31, 2009 5:10 PM

Clearly Gil wants to feel confident in his own mind that the knee will hold up,that way he can spend the off season going through the normal drills and be ready to go all out when training camp starts,if the knee is sound then it shouldn't be a problem.Gil's got something to prove and I think knowing in his own mind that the knee is sound gives him the impetus to give one hundred ten percent.

Posted by: dargregmag | March 31, 2009 5:15 PM

At least Tankscott understands how important the Memphis game is to the team's tanking efforts.

I agree completely with SportzWiz's comment.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | March 31, 2009 5:17 PM

I dont know why Gil)or whoever) is pushing this. He says he will play depending on how the knee feels??? If it doesn't feel good then dont force it, just keep rehabing and wait till next season. Seriously, what are you going to gain by playing in five games anway?

Posted by: sjp879 | March 31, 2009 6:30 PM

I hope the Wizards organization handle Arenas' 2nd comeback better than they handled the first. Regardless of his wishes, they should monitor his minutes VERY VERY closely. Even if it means Ernie has to travel with the team and sit on the sideline.

Posted by: tundey | March 31, 2009 9:22 PM

"Even if it means Ernie has to travel with the team and sit on the sideline."

If he has gimpy knees it really doesn't matter.

Hey Mike, let us respond to one post before you make like 5 other blogs ok? :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 1, 2009 8:56 AM

I really like Gil. I know there is debate about why he is even playing at the end of a wasted season. The guy seems to really love basketball and to have someone like that on the Wizards is a blessing. As long as he is here, I will support whatever decisions he makes as a fan of this team. And yes, I doubt he can control the things he says but it is refreshing.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | April 1, 2009 9:06 AM