History Lesson

Our sister Web site, The Root, published an enlightening article this morning about the New York Renaissance, an all-black professional basketball team that played back in the 1930s. Check it out.

By Alexa Steele |  March 27, 2009; 3:17 PM ET
Previous: Arenas Likely to Start | Next: Guess Who's Back?

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

[Reposted from previous thread]

I'm excited to see what Arenas is like after all the surgeries. I have to say though, I'm wary of Arenas starting in his first game back after 2 years of dealing with a knee injury. I think you start by bringing him in against the second unit, let him get some timing back, get up to game speed etc.

If he looks good, then you have him start a couple games at the end. It's not that I think he won't be able to play well against the first unit, it just seems like you should be careful in the first games back from injury.

The most important thing is that he plays no more than 20 minutes. I'd really think it should be in the 15 min range which would amount to three or 4 shifts with the second unit.

Me? I think if you've had a guy out for any period of time, you want to ease him in and see how he responds. That goes for 1 week or 1 year, much less 2 years of being out.

Posted by: manifested | March 27, 2009 3:38 PM

Posted by: manifested | March 27, 2009 3:43 PM

According to that post on the Root, the Rens posted a 2588-539 record in 26 years of play. That means their average record was 99-21 per season!

In other words, dominant. They even beat the Harlem Globetrotters too.

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | March 27, 2009 5:18 PM

Tomorrow will be the FIRST time I'll be excited to watch the Wizards this season. Can't wait to see AGENT ZERO! :)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 27, 2009 7:52 PM

Alexa Steele,

Good information. As Doc Walker would say, Thats bringing it hard to the mic'... or rather to the page in this case.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 27, 2009 8:44 PM

I don't why he's playin' now, but then, I don't know why he didn't play as early as a few weeks ago. He certainly could have.

Gilbert calls his own shots. Heck, he could be getting text messages from Betelgeuse for all I know. Somebody other than Ed Tapscott will have to worry over the ins and outs of coaching Gilbert Arenas next season. Tapscott is finally off the hook.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 28, 2009 6:26 AM