Race to the Bottom (14 Games Left)

The Wizards remain the 2nd worst team in the league and are 16-52 after last night's loss to Utah. Tonight they face a fellow "Race to the Bottom" contestant, the 16-51 Los Angeles Clippers.

The rankings:

1. Sacramento, 14-53
2. Wizards, 16-52
3. Clippers, 16-51
4. Memphis, 17-49
5. Oklahoma City, 19-48
6. Minnesota, 20-47

By Alexa Steele  |  March 18, 2009; 9:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Road Trip: One Down, Three to Go
Next: Butler Update, Lottery Bowl II

Comments

I think the "Race to the Bottom" post has ran it's course. It was funny in the beginning, but now it's starting to become boring. We know the Wizards team is poor and is lottery bound, no need to throw it in the fans faces every week...what point are you trying to prove?

Posted by: rcnasa | March 18, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse

"Expected Value" of the pick that goes to the team with the worst record: 2.64

Second worst: 2.98
Third: 3.41
Fourth: 3.97
Fifth: 4.69
Sixth: 5.55

Most likely pick for the team with the:

Worst Record: 4th pick
Second: 4th
Third: 5th
Fourth: 5th
Fifth: 6th
Sixth: 6th

(Based on the probabilities given in Wikipedia's entry for the NBA Draft Lottery.)

Posted by: yop32 | March 18, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

If your looking for a good post why not ask this...Despite the Wizards poor season who do you think among the players should the following award go to and why?..lol

1. MVP
2. Most Improved Player
3. Best Sixth Man
4. Best Defender

Posted by: rcnasa | March 18, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

I mean awards among the team..not league awards

Posted by: rcnasa | March 18, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Is the format changing?

Caught Wilbon's chat yesterday. In response to Mark Jackson as coach...

He said "I think Mark will be a good NBA coach, absolutely...I also think Avery Johnson would be one of my first phone calls, maybe my very first call...NBA Finals three years ago, don't forget."

Now Wilbon, I like. But I wonder, with the way things are now, would either of these guys seriously consider an offer from us?

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 18, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse

It all depends on how healthy the guys really are. Both Avery, and Mark don't want to be in Eddie Jordan's situation, coming into a season with 2 of your starters out for the season with injuries. That can ruin any coach

Posted by: rcnasa | March 18, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

RCNASA, I don't get tired of "race to the bottom". Did you watch that game last night? Honestly, this team is pathetic and the reason that I watch (I do give away my tickets because it's not worth the drive) is to look to next year. I don't care about MVP or how many minutes can a coach squeeze from Jamison or how long will a player be in after missing two games with a hammy.

Posted by: Beeb1 | March 18, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I watched the game last night. It was miserable, why not talk about that? Why does it have to be a weekly posting of the record. Everyone who writes a post know how this team is performing, esp those who have season tixs.

All we can do, as Wizards fans is hope for next season. But to post a weekly standing at this point, no matter where the team finishes, does not guarantee the number 1 pick.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion

Posted by: rcnasa | March 18, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Most teams have chemistry. The first team has "their chemistry" while the 2nd team has theirs. Its no wonder we can't win when everything is always changing (lineups, health etc..)

Posted by: BurgwithaU | March 18, 2009 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I will be at the Fail Bowl tonight in Los Angeles - looking forward to seeing the battle between a stoppable force and a movable object. It will be my first Wizards game since I lived in DC back in 2000-01. They weren't very good then either...

Posted by: jwoodmansee | March 18, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

it's a LOCK that the Wiz screw this one up and win it...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 18, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

rcnasa: 'race to the bottow' is not meant to be funny - it's a serious issue and a primary issue for fans w/15 games to go. posting your same sour message 3 times, doesn't make it convincing.

honestly, why would you post the same trite idea over and over?

i have an idea, if you're not interested in the post, don't write anything - keep quiet. thanks.

Posted by: BulletsFan1 | March 18, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

jwoodmansee:

Goodie. You get to witness the WORST of both worlds, the house of cards WES UNSELD built AND the current assemblage from the GRUNFELD era.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 18, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

According to statistics supplied by yop32, it appears BLAKE GRIFFIN is out as far as the LIZARDS are concerned. THABEET at a four or five pick looks like the ticket when our time to pick comes. Of course, if we are lucky enough to pick first, GRIFFIN's the man I suppose. Then it's a trade of THOMAS, BLATCHE and BUTLER for the rights to pick THABEET second. O-o-oh baby, call me MR. GM!!!! NOT!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 18, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse

BulletsFan1 you are a coward. I doubt your even a true fan. Question, whats the point of having a post if everyone is going to agree with your stupid opinion. I guess you work at a sorry job and the high point in your day is going after someone post. The message was sent at 10:52 am. It was over I moved on...if you like the post good for you...but your bringing it back up.

Posted by: rcnasa | March 18, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

SAMSON151:

Left you and BARNO1 a little deposit back under the ETAN THOMAS article.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 18, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

How many people out there thought when the season started that the number of wins the Wizards would have against teams over .500 could be counted on one hand at this stage of the season? Well they have had 4 against teams over .500. They may also end up as the only team in NBA history not to win a game against teams in their own division. These are the times that try men's souls.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | March 18, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

glawrence: "Left you and BARNO1 a little deposit back under the ETAN THOMAS article.
Posted by: glawrence007"

Deposit -- I like that.

You see that Jon Stewart response to accusations he was cherry-picking his stories about Wall Street? He said he preferred to think of it as 'turd mining'.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 18, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Of the 6 teams mentioned, the Wizards has by far the most disappointing season. Not because of injuries but because they still have 2 all-stars in their rosters. How many all-stars do the other 5 teams have? Davis (Clippers), he was an all-star from his previous team....not sure if Timberwolves' Jefferson been all-star.

Posted by: Dave381 | March 18, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see you caught my drift. Later.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 18, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

KEEP This thread. Tonight is a must-lose.

Posted by: closg | March 18, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Dave381,

I believe Al Jefferson was mentioned as an All-Star reserve prior to his season ending injury. But you have a good point. This team has been a disappointing to many because so many fans were expecting the team to be at least competitive enough to earn the 8th spot, despite the teams injuries. Not only because of what you mentioned with the 2 all stars but also you hoped some of the young guys would step up a bit more. I'm disappointed with Blatche (i know folks don't like me mentioning him) but i thought with him getting more minutes he would make great impact for the team.

Posted by: rcnasa | March 18, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Samson151:

Missed your response to cj658 on the ETAN article earlier. Just caught it. SWE-E-E-T, and so true. Roll on brother. Later.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 18, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know why Jamison was making a disgusted facial expression last night when Nick Young hit a shot from the baseline?

Posted by: Izman | March 18, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

rcnasa - I'm holding back my criticism with all the youngsters (except for DM who is playing way beyond anybody expectation) until next season. Blatche for me is playing out of position. I still like to see him play the PF/SF and/or play alongside Brendan.

Posted by: Dave381 | March 18, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Two second tier All-Stars who aren't able to carry a team on their own doesn't translate to a competitive team. Given the Wiz played the majority of the season minus 3 starters (including their best player and their only legit bigman), it is not a surprise to anyone that they are on track to win less than 20 games.

I did hear on WTEM that GA wants to play in '3 or 4' games at the end of the season to at least try things out and to help in his getting back to speed next year. If the Wiz are lucky enough to land Griffin in the draft and can get back GA and BTH at close to 100%, this team can at least compete for a playoff spot next year. The problem is too many LT contracts with marginal players (Etan, James, Songaila, Stevenson) that are very hard to move.

Posted by: wizfan89 | March 18, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

wizfan89,

I disagree that folks are not surprised. It's rather the opposite, last season the team managed to win enough games to earn a playoff spot without their top scorer in Gilbert most of the season. I'm sure a lot of fans didn't expect this team to compete against the top team in the east this season, but at the very least compete for the 8th spot.

I do agree that if you remove the top scorer and starting center on any team they would not win a lot of games. I do believe that. But it's hard for anyone including the team themselves didn't think they'll have less than 20 wins without Brendan and Arenas after coming off a season where they ended up in the playoffs.

But now that I'm thinking about it...the team did seriously fall apart last season after the all star break, so you do have a somewhat a good point...lol (i know i'm all over the place).

It would be nice to watch Gilbert, Brendan and the entire team play a few games in April. Just to have a glimpse into what this team would look like next season.

Posted by: rcnasa | March 18, 2009 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Mano o mano, compared to other 5 Wizards are still better.

Posted by: Dave381 | March 18, 2009 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Thest two allstars cannot carry a Team because the coaching is so bad.

LarryInClintonMD.