Race to the Bottom (18 Games Left)

It's appropriate, after the Wizards' win over the similarly snakebitten Timberwolves, to revisit The Race to the Bottom. Or, more literally, race for the most lotto balls.

Through Monday night's games, the Kings are, uh, wearing the crown. The Wizards won but lost ground, if that makes any sense.
1. Sacramento, 14-49
2. Wizards, 15-49
3. L.A. Clippers, 15-48
4. Memphis, 16-46
5. Oklahoma City, 17-46
6. Minnesota, 18-45

That's the NBA's lowest tier.

As Ivan wrote on Monday, the Wizards need to get to 19-63 (.231 winning pct.) to avoid wiping the Chicago Packers's 18-62 (.225) season from the spot next to 'worst in franchise history.' In an 82-game season, instead of 80, 18-64 (.219) or anything worse would do the trick.

Of the Wizards' remaining games, three are against teams in the Sorry Six. So they'll have to beat someone like 23-win Toronto, the 28-win Pacers or Bobcats, or catch the Pistons on one of their off nights. There are two more games against Cleveland, whom the Wizards have beaten and lost a 93-89 game they should have won, but by then the Cavs should be locked in on trying to get home-court advantage for the playoffs and won't be messing around.

The must-win -- or, depending on your perspective, must-lose -- games are Sunday against Sacramento, Weds. the 18th in L.A. against the Clippers and April 1 at Memphis.

By Keith McMillan  |  March 10, 2009; 8:35 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards 110, T-Wolves 99
Next: Race to the Bottom (Update)

Comments

who cares. Just pick a random playoff team and become their beat writer through the playoffs maybe that will generate some traffic.

My vote is for NO.

Posted by: NFeKPo | March 10, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

”I do enjoy imagining how long it took you to dredge up that quote. Unless you had it bookmarked, which would be equally entertaining.” - CRSONE

Of course I bookmark all of my posts, don’t you? It’s one thing to assume I took 4 hours digging up a quote, but to suggest that I do not bookmark my quotes is just plain offensive. I take pride in my diligent work and insightful quotes. Any good blogger with even the least bit amount of pride bookmarks all of his/her work. I’m assuming you do not, which only shows your total lack of effort and commitment. The quality of your work has been quite disappointing lately, I think I speak for everyone when I say we need to see some more consistency out of you. Don’t worry, nothing a little bit of hard work can’t fix, slick.

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

What's a bookmark?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 10, 2009 9:33 AM | Report abuse

"What's a bookmark?"

Wiki: Two boobs arguing on Ivan's blog about something completely meaningless. :)

I say "JUST LOSE BABY!!!"

They aren't going to get Griffin with that #2 pick.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 10, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

We need 1 or 2. If we can't get the guy we want (probably Griffin), Thabeet is good trade bait. We don't need 3 Centers. BTH is the only one ready for full time action right now (in terms of strength and know how)and JM is a keeper.

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Harden may work for us if we're sure NY is not the answer.

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

We could have the most ping-pong balls but we surely won't get the top pick. It's the curse of Les Boulets.

Posted by: lameotron | March 10, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The more I read about Harden , the more I'm ok with possibly picking him up...

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I bet they somehow end up with the third pick and take Ricky Rubio for financial reasons. He's due a big buyout this summer if he leaves, so they could take him and look to sign him in 2010.

This is the Wizards we're talking about. Do you actually think something exciting will happen with this draft?

Posted by: Kev29 | March 10, 2009 10:53 AM | Report abuse

James Harden, LOL. This guy is the exact opposite of what the Wiz need. He is Shane Battier minus the defense. He is terribly unathletic. I have watched many ASU games, and quite frankly, he is painful to watch. He seems cock too. The Pac-10 is a joke this year. None of them will make the sweet 16.

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I don't Griffin or Thabeet as a potential superstar. But both could help a team a lot.

I suspect there's a gem hidden a bit lower, however.

Might be Harden. He's got the skills. Or Rubio, if he comes out. Or Jordan Hill?

But if I you let Dick Cheney waterboard me while you forced me to guess, I'd say one of these:

Eric Maynor
Earl Clark
Gerald Henderson

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so, I had never seen Blake Griffen until last night when I saw him on Espn highlights. So I looked up some other highlights. HOLY MOLY! He is awesome! Here's hoping the wizards get 1st pick!

Posted by: moshemaizels | March 10, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind Harden. Does everything well, does nothing spectacular. Same thing they said about Brandon Roy coming out. I love the fact that he draws fouls like a machine.

After Griffin and Rubio, I would put Harden as the 3rd option with Thabeet a close 4th.

Posted by: psps23 | March 10, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Samson151, you’re right about Henderson. He will be a solid NBA player. His outside shooting has improved dramatically in his brief time @ Duke. I could see him staying 1 more year to fine tune his skills. He’s a guy that is not talked about too much. He can jump out of the gym and is very strong for his size. Comes from a basketball family, and had great basketball IQ. And not to mention, he can play D. Say what you want about Duke players, but most of them play D, and play it well.

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I've watched Rubio a few times and I don't think he's any better than Crittenden. They are both good ball handlers and good passers. Neither is a great shooter but Critt is a better defender and rebounder with the slight passing edge to Rubio. Rubio is hyped a lot because he started out young.

So did Telfair.

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

...plus our best player is a pg. Would we even consider Rubio with Gil and Critt? I hope not.

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Original Mark, you are homing in on the fundamental truth of this draft... After Blake Griffin (aka the one sure thing) and Ricky Rubio (aka the reincarnation of Pistol Pete, but we already have one of those, thanks)... the next top choices will be big guys with long time frames and high risks attached (we drafted one of them number one a while back, and as far as I am concerned Thabeet is another way of spelling Kwame or Olowukandi)...

So... if it ain't Griffin, trade the 2-3-4-5 or 6 choice and Nicky Young or Andray Blatche for a decent role player and the number 10-11-12 pick and take Stephen Curry, who will absolutely, positively be a better version of Ben Gordon or Jason Terry, to say nothing of the pre-slump Boobie Gibson.

Posted by: khrabb | March 10, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"take Stephen Curry, who will absolutely, positively be a better version of Ben Gordon or Jason Terry, to say nothing of the pre-slump Boobie Gibson. Posted by: khrabb"

Yes, we sort of forgot about Stephen this season. But he's a lights out shooter. I bet LeBron is hoping the Cavs finagle a way to get him.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Guess my point is that Portland, despite superior talent, faces some of the same problems the Wiz face. Mainly, youth and inexperience.

You need somebody to settle them down from time to time, and so do the Wiz.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards are doing okay. I heard the last couple of years teams with the worst record don't get the number 1 pick. So to quote the ex-coach Edwards, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME..HELLO"..lol

I can't wait till June so folks like cj658 can stop arguing over who is the best player. Oh by the way, the last top pick who came out of Oklahoma was Wayman Tisdale and he had a very good career. You haven't heard of him because your not that much up on basketball and plus Tisdale played on poor teams in his career.

And also Washington Bullets Harvey Grant

Posted by: rcnasa | March 10, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I would be pretty certain that Thabeet is not as highly rated in NBA circles as he is with some of you fans. Thabeet will never be a great NBA player.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | March 10, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

This is a tough draft to have a potential top five pick.

Griffin is a no-brainer #1 choice of course. He would or at least should be our starting PF from day one. He'd free us up to move Jamison and create some cap flexibility to make other moves.

Thabeet makes no sense for us. We already have a quality defensive C in Haywood and young potential star in McGee. I don't see Thabeet coming in and being better than either. Blatche is also a capable fill in at C. We've got that position pretty well covered.

SG is our biggest need IMO but Harden is an undersized & unathletic 2-guard. You don't draft those type of players with a high lottery pick. As a mid-first rounder Harden might make sense, but he's terribly overvalued right now.

I wouldn't mind pairing Gil with a big PG but Rubio's footspeed in a major concern to me. I love his skillset & remarkable court vision, but unless he's a better athlete than I've seen in the Olympics, he may be nothing more than a bigger version of Luke Ridnour. I'd be hesistant to role the dice with him. Maybe if he tests out well athletically that might sway my opinion on him.

Monroe has legit top 5 lottery potential but honestly isn't ready. He really should go back to G-Town and be the man next year. Still in a draft this weak, he may be the 2nd best prospect in the draft. His b-ball IQ is off the charts. He's a got a great skillset for a big man. He's a good athlete with the frame to get much stronger than he is now.

The Wizards honestly might be better off in trying to deal the pick for a veteran if they don't land Griffin.

Posted by: Dat2U | March 10, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Arenas and Crittenton would not deter me from selecting Rubio if I thought he was the clear-cut best prospect on the board when the Wizards selected. I like Crit, but he's not proven, and I like Arenas, but he hasn't shown he's the player he was 2 years ago. The Wizards would shoot themselves if they selected the next Marvin Williams over Chris Paul or Deron Williams simply because they had 2 players on their roster that already play the same position.

Now if it was a toss-up? Then I'd drop Rubio down a notch in favor of someone else.

Posted by: psps23 | March 10, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | March 10, 2009 12:45 PM

Agreed. Thabeet may become a solid NBA center but I think most experts would agree that all-star games or stardom isn't in his future. He's weak and has little to no offensive skill. He'll be good at deterring shots on the next level but he'll get pushed around & overmatched by more physical players with better footwork and a stronger base.

Plus we don't need a C. I think this year should have finally opened eyes for folks that Haywood is an importance piece to the puzzle. He's one of the better defensive Cs around. And why would we need another young guy when we have a potential stud in McGee? I really don't understand the man-crush on Thabeet by many here.

Posted by: Dat2U | March 10, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I don't feel the same enthusiasm that some folks here feel about Thabeet. Last time this franchise chose a 7-foot African project who played at a Connecticut university, we got Manute Bol.

I do think the Wizards will use the pick -- if it's a top 3 pick -- as trade bait to get a skilled veteran and maybe clear out a contract (Etan Thomas, come on down!). If it's lower than that, then I see them taking the best available player, who will then ride the bench.

Can't see how drafting Thabeet, Griffin, Hansbrough or any highly regarded players will give this team a boost. It's hard to imagine a team that can't seem to find a way to integrate its already plentiful youth into a lineup, much less teaching them how to play at the NBA level, relying on a top pick to provide some immediate impact in 09-10. Of course, this may change depending on how well Arenas and Haywood have recovered by draft day, so we've got three months and change for that picture to clear. I can't see any dramatic efforts from this franchise to reshape the roster... yet.

--iceberg

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | March 10, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

rcnasa, I liked Mookie Blaylock , too. He was a defensive pest and decent player for a spell. Even Stacy King had his moments.

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Curry is the classic case of a SG in a PG's body, a midget PGs body, at that. He'll be a nice burst of instant offense in short minutes off someone's bench (a la Daniel Gibson) but he's not a guy you take with a high lottery pick. If he's still around when they pick in the second round, go for it.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

So you're saying you'd draft MJ over Bowie even though you had Drexler? Do you even watch basketball?

Oh wait....

My bad.

;)

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"I really don't understand the man-crush on Thabeet by many here. "

It's not just here. Some NBA GM makes the same mistake every year. They use the tired old "you can't teach height" line like a mantra and end up drafting a flawed or underwhelming big guy and leaving clearly more talented players on the board.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Kal,
It's hard to name a bunch of effective small shooting guards in this league so I tend to agree with you. Ben Gordon is an example but he had a stronger, NBA-ready body coming out.

Anton Stoudemire was ok for a while. AI is a good example but he's the exception. Chris Jackson (Mahmoud-Raouf) is probably the closest I've seen to Curry and he was a good player for a little while.

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Eric Gordon
Randy Foye
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Devin Harris
Keyon Dooling

This is the list of guys in the last 10 drafts that were 6'3" or shorter and top 10 picks. A lot of them were not score-first guys like Curry, though.

Basically, it's a crap shoot. There are some nice players on this list but also some dogs. I was going to say that Curry has the benefit of his father having played in the league but so did Wagner.

Flip a coin.

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"This is the list of guys in the last 10 drafts that were 6'3" or shorter and top 10 picks."

I don't care what he's listed at Curry's about 5' 9" (if that), so naming guys who are 6' 3" doesn't say much by way of comparison. It's been a long time since since sub-6 foot SGs roamed freely across NBA landscape. Also, most of the players on that list are PGs (or can do decent imitations of one). Curry is a scorer. And most of the ones who are any good have other physical attributes (exceptional speed, explosive athleticism, physical strength) that help compensate for whatever height issues they may have. Curry doesn't. He's a shorter, skinnier version of Juan Dixon with a better stroke.

And the fact that his father played in the NBA is pretty much irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that by current standards, he's too small to be effective in a major role at SG.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

jcbcmb68,

Manute Bol played for Bridgeport in college. Also Lou Deng and Hakeem were born in Africa, so the country of origin isn't the problem. At least not to me, I'm concerned with his footwork. It's really poor and that could lead to being in foul trouble, (ask Yao Ming..lol). And with Thabeet being 7'3 I'm afraid he'll never learn. Now if the Wizards wanted a center player I'd take a shot at Greg Monroe. He plays for G'town and he has outplayed Thabeet when head to head. Yes Monroe is a freshman so it would take time but I think next to Griffin, Monroe is the second best big man in the draft.

original_mark,

I also liked Mookie, he had a sick game and rubber band man aka Augmon was a solid lock down defender in the league. I don't think a lot of folks on this message board know much about those type of players...lol

Posted by: rcnasa | March 10, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

RCNASSA: To suggest I do not know who Wayman Tisdale is pure ignorance. By you saying he was the least player out of Oklahoma to have a decent career further illustrates my point. He was drafted in 1985. (Way to genius). That was 24 years ago. For you to bring him up is completely irrelevant and stupid.

It was pretty childish of you to say I do not keep up on basketball, thus I do not know who Tisdale is. I am well aware of who he is.

Keep up the good work, RCNASA. You’re killing em’ out here with your great insight about the Wizard and basketball.

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I know I'll probably get roasted on here, but I like Sam Young from Pitt. Maybe not as a first rounder but I just have a feeling that he will be a solid contributor in the NBA for a long time. Also, I like Dajuan Summers and Monroe from Gtown but they both need one more year at the Hilltop before they're ready...
To me, Thabeet is a stiff. Of course he dominates in college because he is seven feet tall! In the NBA he will be a poor-man's Samuel Delambert...

Posted by: MEssex | March 10, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Good news on the lottery front; today OKC plays Sacramento and tomorrow Memphis plays Minnesota. That's 2 more victories to give the Wizards a boost in this race.

Posted by: psps23 | March 10, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

cj658,

Your not making any point, your just making insults. But at this point when you don't have any quality facts to point out you go straight to insults...lol

Your point earlier was to name the last quality player who came from Oklahoma and I named one. It doesn't matter when because if were drafting players based on the school they came from then Kevin Durant would have been in the bottom of the draft. So would players like Larry Bird, David Robinson, Shaq the list goes on and on. But I guess I'm now missing my point..lol Oh well

Folks like yourself are funny, you don't know much about sports history. You mentioned the last big man who came out of college to the pros that avg double doubles and didn't succeed? I won't give you a long list but I'll give you recent names you'll know...Jason Collins oh and Kandi Man, remember him? Below I'll provide a link for his stellar stats. The next time you insult folks on the message board about Thabeet, please provide support for your arguments otherwise your not saying anything.

Posted by: rcnasa | March 10, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

kalorama: "I don't care what he's listed at Curry's about 5' 9" (if that), so naming guys who are 6' 3" doesn't say much by way of comparison"

Funny. I'll give him an inch under six feet, or how about 5'9 and 8/4?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Even if Curry is 5' 11" (which i doubt), that would still make him a midget by NBA standards.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

If you're a Bullets fan, you'll want to read and watch this clip:

Posted by: Riley4 | March 10, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

DeJuan Wagner's dad, Milt, was not a bad NBA player, but Stephen Curry's father, Dell, was a very good player... If Stephen is as good as his dad, he's worth a 10-12 pick. Don't forget also that Stephen Curry did not have the fatal burden of high-school hype that clearly ruined DeJuan Wagner. Keeping up with fathers and sons analogy, if Stephen Curry is Mike Bibby to his Dad, Henry, or... height differential aside... if he as Al Horford to his Dad, Tito, then you have hit the jackpot.

Oklahoma has definitely produced some solid players over the years, and if Griffin is as decent a player and teammate over the long haul as Tisdale and Blalock were (and I think he will be somewhat better than that), a team could never regret choosing him.

Glad to see the Thabeet drumbeaters are being silenced a bit.

Plus we have yet to see who the breakout players of the NCAA tourney are. I think Ty Lawson is going back up the ladder, for sure, but there are obviously some lesser known and touted people that we are bound to hear about... a lot.

Posted by: khrabb | March 10, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"kalo I agree Stephen Curry not a lottery pick, but trading down a lottery pick (other than #1) plus an expendable player for a decent rotation player plus a mid first round pick then makes selecting Curry at 10-12 a smart move."

A 10-12 pick is still (A) in the lottery and (B) too high to draft Curry.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm not disagreeing with you, Kal. That's why I initially named only Mighty Mouse, AI and Chris Jackson. Those guys were scorers and smaller than their listed heights.

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 2:09 PM

So you've had the chance to stand next to Curry and pull out measuring tape?

Why do we have to take your word as if its the salt of the earth?

I'll prefer to rely on the measurements coming out of Chicago. Although its pretty clear to everyone that Curry has grown a few inches since his freshman year when he was listed at 6-1.

I'd have no problem taking Curry with a lottery pick in the 7-10 range. I do believe he has real PG skills. His court vision is excellent and he's got the requisite ball-handling skills for the position. While not an elite athlete, it looks to me like he's been blessed with quick feet which will allow him to break down guys off the dribble and get into the lane.

Posted by: Dat2U | March 10, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

"Glad to see the Thabeet drumbeaters are being silenced a bit. "

Amen to that statement khrabb. To think Griffin won't help the team more than Thabeet is almost a joke.

I mean seriously, Griffin had a really good game against Beasley last season, and Beasley was picked 2nd in the NBA and he's even having a better one this season. Thabeet couldn't even out play Monroe, a freshman in the league. Griffin passes well out of double teams and has much better low post foot work than any big man I've seen in the NCAA this season. I can agree on 1 point with Thabeet and that's you can't teach height and a 7'3 frame does look really good on the resume but it won't translate to wins for the Wizards. Wiz need more than just height, even with Gil and Haywood back they'll struggle in the low post and Thabeet can't provide any such scoring in the post.

Okay, i'm talking too much about Griffin but I'm trying to say is Griffin is the run away number 1 pick and Thabeet is at best, a number 10 pick. But he'll probably go a bit higher because he is 7'3 and again you can't teach size.

Posted by: rcnasa | March 10, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

messex: "I know I'll probably get roasted on here, but I like Sam Young from Pitt. "

I like him, too. You can bet Gary Williams wishes he played for Maryland. This is another kid who suffers from program height; I'd be surprised if he tops 6'5" at the NBA camps. But he's energetic, and smart, and he doesn't quite. A second rounder if I ever saw one.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

RCNASA: I’m not making any point? Go figure. The nonsense you are currently spewing is what is pointless and baseless. For you to say I have no idea about NBA history is completely baseless. You have no facts to back that up, in essence that is an insult. You’re just making blatant, ignorant claims about my history intelligence, that is quite childish to say the least. Keep up the stellar work.

I never said that Griffin would be a “bust” because he’s from OK. Check your facts. I have repeatedly stated that I think Griffin will be a very good player in the NBA. Again, stop putting words in my mouth. My entire argument is that the Wiz need a defensive presence in the middle. Period. I simply said that UConn has a tremendous reputation for producing NBA talent, and OK does not. I never said that Griffin would be a bust because he is from OK. Get your facts straight. The Wiz need to draft on needs, and they need Thabeet.

So you're saying you'd draft MJ over Bowie even though you had Drexler?”

Exactly. This fan just proved my point. I have actually read some folks use this reasoning AGAINST Thabeet. As in, “why draft Thabeet when you have Haywood?” LOL!!! Read that sentence out loud and it’s even funnier!

But back to the point that this fan proved by the above quote about MJ & Drexler: Why draft griffin when you have a team full of scorers? He’s gonna ride the pine behind AJ, & CB. And if does get clock, then what do you do with Dom and Andray? We do not have room for Blake, and do not need him. Pointless, and more of the same. If fans truly want to see this team make a serious run, the culture needs to change. I know how enamored you all are with the sexy pick, Blake Griffin, but it is time to dig your heads out of each other a$$es. Seriously.

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"Oklahoma has definitely produced some solid players over the years,"

You know, my favorite was Eduardo Najera. A mediocre pro but a truly admirable college player.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"Dump BTH, draft Thabeet. Develop a young, athletic, two headed monster at center. Period."

Have you ever noticed that when somebody closes a post with either 'Period' or 'case closed', it usually turns out that there was a whole bunch more questions?

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"That's why I initially named only Mighty Mouse, AI and Chris Jackson. Those guys were scorers and smaller than their listed heights."

Mighty Mouse? You mean Damon Stoudamire? (I was wondering who "Anton Stoudamire" was.)

In any event, unless they're getting blue-chip prospect with starter potential, drafting another jumpshooting guard is the last thing the Wiz need, no matter what size he is.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

"I know how enamored you all are with the sexy pick, Blake Griffin, but it is time to dig your heads out of each other a$$es. Seriously."

This might be the funniest comment I've read since reading this blog, considering it's coming from a guy that said:

(A) Blake Griffin, a low-post interior power forward that plays physical, attacks the rim, and dominates the boards, would be "more of the same",

(B) spent countless hours trying to paint Hasheem Thabeet as a cure to this team's woes,

and

(C) attempted to compare the Michael Jordan - Sam Bowie situation as a reason to draft the riskier, less proven, and less "sexy" project with 'upside'.

Priceless.

Posted by: psps23 | March 10, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

"Why do we have to take your word as if its the salt of the earth? "

Who said you did? Based on my observation of him I think Curry is significantly shorter than his listed height of 6' 3". If you don't agree, then (A) that's your prerogative, and (B) I don't really give a sh1t.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to mention the irony of using the Bowie-Jordan reference as reason to select Thabeet because he shouldn't be discounted by Haywood and McGee's presence, then in the same breath completely discounting Blake Griffin because of Jamison, Blatche, and McGuire being on the roster. Can't forget that one.

Posted by: psps23 | March 10, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

cj658,

As I mentioned before cj658, I look forward to June so this Thabeet non sense can end.

The Wizards also need low post scoring and Thabeet will not provide that in the NBA. He struggles to do so in college. UConn as produced great players, but only at guard and forward spots. Name the last all-star big man coach Calhourn ever produced from UConn??(josh boone..lol)

And as far as the Sam Bowie comment...WOW you seriously don't know anything about basketball have you check the number games Sam Bowie played in his career???? Listen, NBA is about drafting more so talent than need. (NFL is based on drafting need) If you need a defensive minded center, then you find one in the free agency for cheaper than you'll get with a top 3 pick(Ronny Turiaf,Chris Andersen) you don't waste a top 3 pick on just one thing alone.

As far as Griffin losing playing time. HELL, Caron can't stay healthy for an entire season and Jamison I really like the guy but if Griffin can provide that kind of energy in the NBA, then Jamison might be moved to another team. I won't even comment on Griffin losing minutes to Blatche. You talk about childish, look at Blatche. I don't think you know much about basketball you don't really know how NBA teams are developed. Look at the past decade and look at how the teams were developed.

The Cavs picked LeBron James when the Cavs already have Ricky Davis,Dajun Wagner, Darius Miles as there top G/F scorers. Tim Duncan was drafted by the Spurs when David Robinson was already on the team. The Lakers traded for Kobe when Eddie Jones was on the team..The Lakers drafted Magic Johnson when Norm Nixon (who was an all-star last season) was on the team...YOUR NOT MAKING ANY DAMN SENSE cj658.

Seriously, do some research before you step up to folks who understand the game better than you.

The lesson you learned today is....
When you have the top pick in the NBA, you always draft for talent

Posted by: rcnasa | March 10, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

When you have the top pick you look for the best talented player on the board. If there is a potential MJ and you need a center you get MJ and worry about addressing a center in the free agency. Many coaches and GM lose their jobs based on that poor judgment. I wonder where that GM is now who picked Sam Bowie over MJ. Or the GM who passed on Karl Malone, or KG etc etc...lol

That's why the Bullets/Wizards have been such a losing franchise with ideas on passing up on talent. The Wizards missed out on KG, Karl Malone, hall of famers to get Juwan Howard or Don Mclean folks like that

That is why Pat Riley will be kicking himself for passing on Mayo and Westbrook to get Beasley.

Posted by: rcnasa | March 10, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

“Anton Stoudamire” LOL!!

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

The ability to run a deliberate, half-court offense allows teams to control tempo and slow the game down. It creates easier shots, both down low and on the perimeter (because if you have a low post weapon, the perimeter guys are going to get easier looks), helps raise the team’s overall FG percentage, and creates more FT opportunities. All of those, taken together, help on the defensive end because it’s a lot harder for the opposition to run out and get easy baskets when they’re initiating the offense from the end out of bounds following a made FG or FT than when they’re running out of a missed rebound of a Wizards’ jumpshot.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I think we have the long-term answer at PG in CRITTENTON.

And I agree that GRIFFIN is the most accomplished and potentially strongest PF in the upcoming draft.

But to me, it appears we need HAYWOOD to be successful because THOMAS was never a force and after his surgery, he never will be. I don't see McGEE as a true five. To me, he's a four and I think will be a great four who can fill in at five when needed. I see the need for a player who is a five by NBA standards and THABEET's the best of some second-tier choices at center this year. So, I've been banging the drum to go get him to fill the greatest need on this team.

However, if we could trade enough to get SACRAMENTO's #1, we might get lucky and land both. I'm sayin' BUTLER, BLATCHE and THOMAS to the KINGS for their pick. BLAKE with the first overall, and THABEET with our own. But that's like buying a LOTTO ticket. Not likely. And historically, this is not a particularly strong draft class. So that kind of thinking is probably too off the wall.

Course with the development HASHEEM still needs, he may decide to stay at CONNECTICUT another year. He certainly would be overmatched right now in the NBA. Thing is, pick GRIFFIN and what do you do with "DREY?

Of course, its easy to PLAY GM. ERNIE's got to live it. Good luck Mr. GRUNFELD. I don't care to be in your shoes thank you. Not with the financials this team's facing.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 10, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

”So you've had the chance to stand next to Curry and pull out measuring tape?
Why do we have to take your word as if its the salt of the earth?

You have to take his word because he is never wrong. If Kalorama says curry is 72.457 inches tall, than that is how tall he is. End of story. Nothing will change that. Nobody else dare think otherwise, not even Stephen himself.

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"On the issue of Griffin and defense . . . adding a low post player who can get high percentage shots inside would also help the Wiz on the defensive end, even if that player is not himself a premier defender." - kalo_rama

i totally agree. also, the fact that the opposing defense would have to account for him, means they'd have that much less energy on the offensive side.

Posted by: segastyle | March 10, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

RCNASA, in regards to your lengthy ramble above, directed towards my comments:

A) Nonsense is one word

B) As far as the Bowie comment, you ever heard of Clyde Drexler. 9/10 GM’s would make the same pick. You know it, and I know it. Stu Inman did what he thought was best for his team. He had no idea that Bowie would have a body made of glass.

C) Suggesting Jamison will be moved to another team is pure hogwash. Yeah, I’m sure plenty of teams will jump at the chance to pick that contract on a 34 year old PF. Gimme a break, he’s here for the long haul, like it or not.

D) ” The Cavs picked LeBron James when the Cavs already have Ricky Davis,Dajun Wagner, Darius Miles as there top G/F scorers
Listen to what you just said. Re-read the same those names again. Are you seriously comparing Wagner, Davis, and Miles to Gil, AJ, and CB? WOW! How many times did DaJuan, Darius, and Ricky take the Cavs to the playoffs. Point is the Wiz have a proven nucleus of vets who can score with anyone in the league, and have proved they can at least lead a team to the playoffs consistently. Any fan with a brain knows what the one thing they have been lacking is, DEFENSE. It’s not like we’re trying to split the atom here, come on. When the Cavs drafted LBJ they needed a savior to dig that team out of the basement. The Wiz simply need that one piece to get them to the next level, and a change of culture, not more of the same.

But how dare I prove you wrong, you know the game better than me, so I’ll think about it next time before I “step up” to you. LOL!

And FYI, I wasn’t the one who made the original quote about Sam Bowie and Clyde, it was the fan of the year, who is never wrong. I simply piggy-backed the quote. It actually made sense. So if you have such a problem with it, take it up with the person who originally made the quote, his name starts with a k. I’ll let you figure out the rest, if you can handle that.

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"So if you have such a problem with it, take it up with the person who originally made the quote, his name starts with a k. I’ll let you figure out the rest, if you can handle that."

Oh wait....

My bad.

;)

Posted by: original_mark | March 10, 2009 1:11 PM

The fact that he can't tell an "o" from a "k" certainly helps explain why everything he writes is unintelligible gibberish.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 10, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

” I'm breaking my cardinal rule of ignoring this jackass to point out that I never said anything about Sam Bowie or Michael Jordan.”

That just made my day.

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

”everything he writes is unintelligible gibberish”

Ouch! Below the belt, eh?

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Olowokandi"

Olowokandi was another guy who looked like Mr. Universe and played like Mrs. America. Think Kwame Brown.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 10, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

look y do u guys waste ur time with cj658, thabeets number one short-rider....

he now says he thinks thabeet is the best pick based on defense...

a while ago i asked him for his big board...which is his rankings of best players at any position overall...and of course he had thabeet at the top...i mean there is no question that griffin is better than thabeet right now...no question...

Posted by: jasonma1 | March 10, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

and its funny how he is telling people to check the facts....

y dont u check the facts...or stats?

griffin has him dominated in every which way...except blocks...which btw dont automatically make u a good defender

Posted by: jasonma1 | March 10, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

JASONMAN: Looks like someone dug you up out of the woodworks. It seems as if you only pop up when Blake Griffin’s name is mentioned. Funny, huh? It’s OK, your BFF Blake Griffin will be a good NBA player, and he is a great college player. Don’t worry, I won’t tell greg Monroe you’re cheating on him.

Speaking of your boyfriend over at GTown, how is he and his team holding up? I hope he enjoys the popcorn while he watches THABEET in the final 4. HAHAHAHA!

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

dude i really could care less about any of these guys...but i'm sure everyone here can see ur infactuation with thabeet...hahahaha...nothing i have ever said or stated could ever be related to as an infactuation...i mean u just talk crazy...if u spoke with any basketball sense u would be respected....i mean to suggest that thabeet is the best prospect available is preposterous.... u seriously need to pull thabeets lollipop out of ur mouth

and you continue to defer logical arguements...how sir, did u rate thabeet ahead of griffin...how can u deny that monroe took it to him...and trust me, i'm not impressed with monroe at all...when i brought that point up i was saying how he let a freshman who is at least 4 inches shorter than him school him...i mean thats not saying anything about monroe as it is saying something about ur hubby thabeet...

and as if to further my arguement...soon after 6'7 forward takes it to him to the tune of 20 plus points and rebounds...oh and since u prolly cant do the math...thats aprox 8 inches given up...

and look how many posters have issues with ur comments vs. mine...its obvious who has a mental infactuation...hahahaha

Posted by: jasonma1 | March 10, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

and like i have consistently said, i'm not saying thabeet sucks despite all this...its just he aint worth a top 5 pick...that has been my arguement since day one... btw man if u have issues with letting go or whatever i can get u the number to a good psycologist...u really need to deal with your flaming infactuation for thabeet...i'm actually scared for thabeets safety with the way u talk about him...kinda reminds me of that eminem song stan....ur prolly writing the remix called "thabeet" right now...haha

Posted by: jasonma1 | March 10, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

One thing I know for sure, the NCAA March Madness will put a spotlight on Thabeet, Griffin, my longshot horse, Hansbrough, and other young fellas thats possibly worthy of NBA top round consideration.

Do not be surprised if yawl' see TYLER HANSBROUGH coming up on the outside from way back in the pack and prove that he is worthy of some top flight consideration.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 10, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

This entire season has been complete BULL SH*T!

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 10, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

As far as the Thabeet vs Griffin debate above... Griffin is MUCH better than Thabeet. I like Thabeet (as I sit here watching a replay of UConn vs Pitt from 3/7 on CBSC), but Griffin is a flat out monster. He reminds me of Webber. He looks to me like a guy who can become a dominant player. Thabeet I see at best becoming a Mutombo type, but not as good. His shoulders are really narrow. He's kinda stiff, and not very skilled. Griffin will be much better offensively, and I think he'll be better on the boards too (which is what we really need). In fact Thabeet wouldn't even be my 2nd choice... that would be Jordan Hill.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 10, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Here are the strengths listed for Griffin by draftexpress.com

- Ability to get to free throw line
- Efficiency
- Ability to create own shot
- Ball-handling skills
- Excellent hands
- Excellent Touch
- Nimble footwork
- Defensive potential
- Basketball IQ
- Energy/Intensity
- Potential
- Unselfishness
- Winning mentality
- Work ethic
- Ability to finish around basket
- Ability to finish through contact
- Athleticism
- Body control
- Coordination
- Explosiveness
- Fluidity
- NBA body
- Quick off feet
- Strength
- Excellent rebounder

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 10, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

No one should be debating Griffin-Thabeet. Griffin is far superior.

Monroe, as raw as he is, may be too good to pass up. Like Blatche, he has a size/skill/agility combination that is hard to find, and unlike Blatche has a very high basketball IQ. He would need to learn but you take him or see what he could bring in a trade. I bet a lot of teams looking to rebuild would give up a nice piece of the puzzle for Monroe---like the Green-Ray Allen trade.

Thabeet is taking up way too much time/attention here. The poor-mans Mutumbo is a good analogy. We dont need him.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | March 10, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Darnell1,

That's a' mighty impressive list for that thar' Blake Griffin fella.'

What does draftexpress say about that Tarhell fella'.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 10, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Tyler Hansbrough's P's and C's.

His narrative though reads much better.

STRENGTHS:
- Ability to get to free throw line
- Back to basket scoring
- Footwork/Post-moves
- Jump-hook shot
- Commitment to playing defense
- Competitiveness
- Doesn't always play hard
- Physical Toughness
- Strong Intangibles
- Winning mentality
- Work ethic
- High-level productivity
- Strength
- Free throw shooting
WEAKNESSES:
- Ball-handling skills
- Man amongst boys?
- Defensive potential
- Lateral quickness
- Potential
- Older than class peers
- Passing out of post
- Passing skills
- Explosiveness
- Size for position
- Undersized
- Wingspan
LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 10, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

James Harden, 6'5" shooting guard out of Arizona State.

Darnell1, why dose draft express project him to be the Wizards pick????

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 10, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

LarryInClintonMD

Yeah I think they just project the players as they rank them from best on down and pair them with the teams in the order they are projected to pick. In other words they aren't matching the player to team based on team needs.

Posted by: Darnell1 | March 10, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 3:58 PM

As in, “why draft Thabeet when you have Haywood?” LOL!!! Read that sentence out loud and it’s even funnier! ... Dump BTH, draft Thabeet. Develop a young, athletic, two headed monster at center. Period.
Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 3:13 PM

Posted by: crs-one | March 10, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Race to the bottom also includes Georgetown Univ. and GWU. GWU sealed it early though.

Utter debacle of a season by GU.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | March 10, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

"Samson151, I'm not so sure our talent is inferior to Portland's (even WITH Oden). We have 3 recent all stars plus a lot of talent in AB, BTH, JM, NY, DM, Critt.From top to bottom, I like our team better than most in the league if you're just talking about talent. Can we get that talent to mesh as a team? Huge question.Posted by:riginal_mark"'

Except Portland's young talent is a lot more skilled than ours. That's the big difference. Butler, Jamison, they're finished products with well-defined strengths and weaknesses. But the Wiz Kids are anything but.

When I say talent, I mean more than athleticism. NBA-ready skills.

I suspect we as fanz vastly overrate our young turks. Naturally enough -- we want them to succeed. There's one poster here who seems to have dedicated the season to persuading everyone that McGee should play a lot more. Others that have fallen for this Kid or that one. They all have these moments where the dewy-eyed foal disappears and the future All Star comes shining through.

Our WizKids have been cursed with 'potential'.

Portland has one of those: Jerryd Bayless. Vast offensive talent who hasn't yet figured out the NBA game. He's young, there's plenty of time -- maybe he'll get it.

We have a team of Jerryd Baylesses.

Our most skilled young guy (although lacking an offensive game) is McGuire. Our most athletic young guys would have to be McGee and Young. Our most versatile: Blatche. And ain't it great to see Critt steaming up the floor on the break?

But even the most loving parent would have trouble arguing any of them is ready for NBA prime-time. Oh, sure, might as well play them, the season's already past the S-bend; but that's the not the same as being ready.

So we're back in the lottery, hoping our choice will be Lamarcus Aldridge II instead of Andray Blatche, or Brandon Roy rather than Nick Young.

Luck. We need luck.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 11, 2009 4:10 AM | Report abuse

If we get the first pick, take Griffin, then let Ernie see what he can get in a trade for any of our PF's. With every team in the league trying to shed salary, maybe EG can pull another great trade to make us one of the elite teams in the league.

If the ping pong balls don't bounce our way, take Harden, or if they really don't bounce our way, take Henderson. Insurance on DeShawn's back, defense, and shooting touch. Status quo.

Posted by: yop32 | March 11, 2009 6:34 AM | Report abuse

. Develop a young, athletic, two headed monster at center. Period.

Posted by: cj658 | March 10, 2009 3:13 PM

I think the two heads are BTH and JM. That's probably where you and a lot of folks here differ in opinion, cj658.

Posted by: original_mark | March 11, 2009 8:20 AM | Report abuse

...and my comment about MJ and Drexler was made tongue in cheek. That's why I included a wink ;)

OK. Ok. I have no idea where Anton Stoudemire came from . It WAS Damon I was thinking of. My bad.

Posted by: original_mark | March 11, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Samson151, the one year we get the top pick and Curry, Kwame and Tyson are the best obvious players at the top of the boards. Pao wasn't as highly rated.

I don't think luck is something we have in abundance here with the Wiz.

sigh....

Posted by: original_mark | March 11, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I kinda disagree with the comments about AB's basketball intelligence, too. He's one of the best passers on this team in terms of seeing the floor and delivering the ball. He and Mcguire have uncommonly high basketball IQ's for guys their size, IMO.

Defensively, he leaves a lot to be desired. he proved last year that he can be effective blocking shots but this year his attention has been on offense. Considering that he's only 23, he has time to put it all together and become a very good player.

Posted by: original_mark | March 11, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

With all the player talk, lets not forget that the number one thing that this Team needs is a Good Competent COACH.

Getting Haywood, Gilbert, a high draft pick, and even a healthy Stevenson back will mean nothing without ADULT SUPERVISION.

You can concoct all manner of fancy trade option you want.

And yes, I know that probably 10 of 10 of us know we need coaching.

But, I am getting a bad feeling from the ETaps interview the other day. It sounds as though he has some knowledge on the direction of this Team for next year. It seems that the coaching situation has already been decided and he knows.

If that is true, then it must be one of them thats already there.

Ivan, Mike, please tell me that my gut feeling is just them bad hamburgers I made the other day.

Somebody, please reassure me that the Wizs are not going to hire from within.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 11, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Wes Unseld Jr. for coach !!

kidding...

Posted by: original_mark | March 11, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"If we can't get Griffin, take Rubio and play him alongside Gil. All-out offense! Screw fundamental defense, just go for steals. It's a game and a business. Let them play for fun, and let Abe rake in the cash. McGee as starting center because he runs the floor and finishes alley-oops. Entertainment!"

1st Unit of Rubio, Gil, Butler, Jamison & Mcgee

2nd Unit of Crit, Dsteve, Mguire, Blatch/Dsong & BTH.

If only we could put the 1st unit on the offensive end while keeping the 2nd unit on the defensive end, we'd have a complete team! Is there anyone in the league we couldn't beat in a game of 10 on 10? The rules would be that both teams must field 10 players and play them O & D - so Lebron or the Celts big 3 couldn't play both ways. Otherwise we'd lose if we allowed our 10 to go against the cetics 5 (or cleveland 1)

Wiz 10 on 10 Championship!

Posted by: cballer | March 11, 2009 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"I kinda disagree with the comments about AB's basketball intelligence, too. He's one of the best passers on this team in terms of seeing the floor and delivering the ball."

Yes and no. He's a very good passer for a big man, but part of basketball intelligence is knowing what passes to throw and when to throw them (or when not to). That's where his IQ points dip. he has an alarming penchant for bad turnovers, either by jumping into the air with nowhere to go and flinging the ball into traffic or the first row of seats, or by dribbling into traffic with his head down and having it stripped or bouncing it off his own feet.

Really smart basketball players understand what they do and don't do well and try to play within that. Blatche makes a lot of his mistakes by trying to do things he shouldn't be doing in the first place.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 11, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Our WizKids have been cursed with 'potential'.

We have a team of Jerryd Baylesses.

Very well said, Samson151.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 11, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse