Report: Arenas to Return Saturday

According to Chris Miller of Comcast, Gilbert Arenas told Miller via text that he plans on making his return Saturday when the Wizards host Detroit. Reportedly, Arenas texted: "Ur the first to get the truth. I'm playing Saturday against Detroit. And I'm only playin home games but I will play in Cleveland. Me and Cleveland fans have this love, hate relation."

I've been in contact with Gilbert the last few days and he was all over the place.

(I tried to contact him this morning and haven't heard back yet.)

On Friday, he told me that he wanted to play as soon as tonight against Chicago but then he backed off of that stance a few hours later saying he needed to talk to Ed Tapscott first.

Then, an hour after that, he said he was thinking of not playing at all this season. On Saturday, he said he was thinking of dressing for all of the games but not neccessarily playing until he made up his mind about "how he was going to play."

Yeah, that's what he said.

Are you getting an idea of what it's like to cover this dude? Anyway, Saturday makes sense because it would give him practices on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday to focus on playing in a game. One thing is very clear about all of this (the surgery, the rehab, the timetable and so on): The man with the guaranteed $111 million contract is calling the shots, not the organization that gave it to him.

Stay tuned.

By Ivan Carter  |  March 23, 2009; 11:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MMPG: Team of the Week
Next: Arenas Update

Comments

This is not the first time Gilbert looks like he's calling the shots. But I think it's beneficial he and Brendan at least get some games in just to loosen up for next season.

Posted by: visionof75 | March 23, 2009 11:18 AM | Report abuse

...and until we get a real coach, he's going to continue to call the shots.

Posted by: original_mark | March 23, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Ivan this is good-bad news. Its good because so gil can be ready for next season and be healthy. Its bad because because if he gets hurt again peoplr wil say "why is he playing they are 16-55.

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | March 23, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Original_Mark,

A real coach we need quick. Gilbert should have tremendous say, but the coach/org' should not be in the dark.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 23, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Not a wise decision to play during the waning days of a lost season. And Gilbert's attitude "he has to make up his mind about how he was going to play" is very disturbing.

Posted by: john24 | March 23, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

And the obvious with GILBERT running the show is now apparant to all. Making him the 800 pound gorilla in the room by giving him the money was one bone-headed move. JAMISON should be thanking him every time they step on the court.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 23, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Even though I'm a huge Gil fan he really doesn't neet to come back the season is already lost be concerned about the up coming draft lottery may be even play in the summer league which I seriously doubt that he would do but it would be a good test for his knee. Plus it really makes Ed Tapscott look real bad because he should have been this first to know not Comcastsports net Chris Miller

Posted by: donaldtaylor | March 23, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Wow. I definitely plan to miss that.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 23, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

The Wizards need a "bailout" and let this chump go.....

Posted by: ENJOYA | March 23, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Someone earlier said it best when they said until we get a coach he's gonna continue to call the shots. And I don't blame him, if he left it in Tapscott's hands, he'd be playing 44 minutes a night right out the gate!

Posted by: CBell29 | March 23, 2009 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Here's a post from the Times' Mike Jones (who?) with some quotes directly from Arenas on his plan to return this Saturday:

I don't see how this hurts/helps the lottery chances. I know that this team will be getting back one of it's top players, but there's the whole issue of mixing him in with the new coach and the players. I think it's a toss up on how the team performs the rest of the season. Michael Lee seemed to think that this definitely hurts the team's chances of being the worst team in the league, don't know if I agree with that...

Posted by: -CN- | March 23, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES???

This season is DEAD to me......

Posted by: unc1dmo | March 23, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

This will be the first game all season that I will actually make an effort to watch. And folks just need to chill out. Arenas is going to annoy people whether he plays or not and regardless of who's making the decision. And let's remember, this isn't the NFL. The coach isn't the leader of the team; the GM is.

Posted by: Tempy_McJobhunt | March 23, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Arenas may be calling the shots but they're space shots.

Posted by: pdarroch | March 23, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Arenas is a Primma Donna to the extreme. In his first year my Son and I thought he was different, that is a he kept his mouth shut because he had something to prove. that lasted one year. His ego will forever prevent him from winning anything beyond a playoff series or two.
I can't wait for a chance at a 42 and 40 record next year with a first round playoff loss to whoever they face. Their is no commitment to joining the elite of the NBA here in Washington.

Posted by: jshavatt | March 24, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse