Sunday Update

The Wizards completed their 0-4 roadie with a loss at Phoenix last night and then flew home, arriving back in DC around six o'clock this morning. Because of the packed schedule and the long trip home, the team did not practice today and will instead hold a full shootaround tomorrow morning in preperation for tomorrow night's game against the Bulls. (No word on whether the President plans on checking out his Bulls again.)

- Caron Butler (hamstring) and Juan Dixon (achilles) will be re-evaluated at shootaround.

-No real update on Gilbert Arenas other than to say that he and the team are still in the process of figuring out a plan for his possible return. Because Arenas did not make the trip, he has to sit down with Ed Tapscott and formulate a potential plan regarding his role, how many minutes he would play, how the team would handle the last two back-to-backs etc.

As of today, Arenas has not discussed details of such a plan with Tapscott or Ernie Grunfeld, who is in Europe scouting Ricky Rubio among other draft prospects. I do hear that Arenas was aggressively working out at Verizon Center all week and is feeling good on that knee.

By Ivan Carter  |  March 22, 2009; 2:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Side: Phoenix Suns
Next: Monday Morning Point Guard

Comments

Ricky Rubio!!!!! Still, if we have a chance to get Blake, take him. Otherwise it's Ricky baby!

Posted by: demonj21 | March 22, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Anybody but THABEET huh?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 22, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Anybody but THABEET huh?

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 22, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

20% chance of winning NBA Lottery!! Keep Tankin' Tapscott

Posted by: jeremydvid | March 22, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 22, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

So Grunfield is out of town is he? In Europe searching for talent is he? I remember the last time he drafted two talents from Europe. One never made it past training camp and the other plays less than the ball boy. But lets not be too critical afterall he was the one who signed DaShawn Stevenson and is planning on bringing him back to run beside Mr. Noshow.

Posted by: dandyhuffman | March 22, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

With WIZARDS luck, I never counted on getting into the top three picks even if we were #1. That's why I've been pounding the THABEET drum. When our time to pick comes, I assume all the top talent will be gone. And he's a good fit. We need someone besides SONGAILA as a back-up center. That allows us to move McGEE to PF and deal BLATCHE. McGEE does better when he's moving around the basket rather than being stationary defending or attacking it.'

The Wizards are not going to draft Thabeet, I am 99.9% certain they won't. If the Wizards fall where they can't draft Blake or Rubio then expect them to trade their pick for next year. No way Thabeet is worth going over the luxury tax with... For heaven sake, get over Thabeet. He's Peter Ramos/Kwayme Brown 2.0.

Last, I don't think David Stern will allow The Wizards to go any less than 3rd pick overall. He is honoring Abe Pollin for the years of ownership. So don't be surprise to see the Wiz get #1 overall. Still, I got the feeling it's gonna be Rubio -- it just make sense to pick him just to avoid luxury tax.

Posted by: demonj21 | March 22, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Rubio has a $9 Million Euro buy-out clause in his Spanish contract

Posted by: bassguy654 | March 22, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BulletsFan1 | March 22, 2009 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Can't fathom why we would get rid of Blatche. Why in the hell would keep Songaila and get rid of Blatche to bring in Thabeet.

Subtraction doesn't work in basketball, only in math.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 22, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Here's my theory - Blake is the only franchise player who would seem to be obviously able to contribute right away. If the Wiz get to pick him I think they'll pick him and go over the luxury tax to keep him. ANYBODY else, I don't see them willing to go over the luxury tax for. If they don't get Blake than I would imagine they'd want to trade the pick along with some contracts among: Etan, Songaila, DeShawn, Mike James and maybe get a useful veteran or a future pick. The problem for the Wiz is that after #1 it's not that clear that another team would pay a big premium to get the pick either. So, if the Wiz end up picking at a spot other than #1 and Rubio is still available, perhaps they'll pick him and have him NOT come to play next year. He would be another BIG asset that Grunfeld likes to accumulate. The team is constructed to win with AJ, CB, and a healthy Gil and BTH (only a theory that they can win with that lineup - but one that Pollin and Ernie seem to want to try out). They already have enough knucklehead kids.

Posted by: thinker11 | March 22, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

However, I like the anlogy on Stern and the #1 pick for Abe.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 22, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Analogy that is of course.

With the current Team, I think we still need a big mean tough guy to replace Etan and DSon. Just one.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 22, 2009 10:08 PM | Report abuse

And I'm going on record. I am not the least bit sold on Rubio. Sounds like some board game to me. Ricky Rubio. Naww, don't need him.

But...as I ponder...Ahah!!! We could use him as trade bait to get a big mean tough guy assuming Griffin falls through.

Now that would be Auerbach like.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 22, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

You boys are gonna' be cryin' in four years, "Oh, damm, we could of had THABEET." "Why didn't that idiot GRUNFEWLD draft HASHEEM." And I'm not one to let you forget. Get back to me on that.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 22, 2009 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Rubio is Luke Ridnour. You heard it here first.

Posted by: original_mark | March 22, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Checked the stats for tonight's game - SONGAILA at +5, everybody else -13 or MORE. WOW.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 22, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

"Thabeet's a poor man's Dikembe. Dikembe was light years ahead of Thabeet coming out of college. Picking him would be a HUGE MISTAKE."

If his NBA prospects were that good, he might actually be worth drafting. He's more like a poor man's Sam Dalembert, or a working class man's DeSagana Diop.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 22, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

"Rubio is Luke Ridnour. You heard it here first."

Are you saying that's a good thing or a bad thing?

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 22, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Rubio is a MUCH better defender than Ridnour. not a good comparison...

Posted by: PVGtownAz | March 23, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

actually the more i think about it, Rubio is pretty similar to Rondo. Rubio's not quite the athlete that Rondo is (few are), but he is similarly disruptive defensively, a good passer/floor general, ball handler, etc. Rubio is a better shooter too.

Posted by: PVGtownAz | March 23, 2009 1:25 AM | Report abuse

"Rubio is Luke Ridnour. You heard it here first.Posted by: original_mark"

Assuming you're the same guy who said it last week...

Some differences:
Rubio is a better passer. Ridnour is a skilled PG with decent court vision and a knack for getting his teammates into the flow of the offense. Rubio is a whole measure above that. He sees the court as well as any PG in the NBA, and that's including Paul and Williams. Maybe it's the effect of playing so much with older guys in the pass-oriented Euro leagues, but he's quite a floor general.

Rubio isn't much of an outside shooter. Surprising because that's a big part of the Euro game. Shows you how good he is otherwise, because it's hard to get on the court in Europe if you can't hit the three.

That's the big weakness in his game.

Rubio is a much, much better defender. Not something you associate with European point guards, either. But he is. He's got quick, darting hands that bother his opponents, and he stays in front of his man so as to limite penetration. I'm trying to think of other PGs who do that, and I'm coming up with Rondo, and not much else.

Although outside of that, I don't see much in common with Rondo, who is the ultimate drive to the basket guy. REally a very specialized sort of guard.

If I had to pick a comparison for Rubio, it would be a little ERnie deGregorio, a little Chris Paul. Neither of those two was that great a shooter coming into the league either. Rubio has to develop that shot or else.

DeGregorio's career fizzled, Paul's took off. We'll have to see what happens to Ricky.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 23, 2009 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 22, 2009 10:28 PM

"Could of had"

Let me guess, you don't have a high school diploma?

Posted by: Barno1 | March 23, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

The Bog has cited Washington Post Live as saying Arenas will return this Saturday against the Pistons...

Posted by: -CN- | March 23, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Why anyone is talking about names of players is beyond me. We aren't keeping the pick people. How else are we going to get rid of Etan Thomas if we don't bribe another team with our pick? You are all wasting your time talking about which player we might get.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 23, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse