Thursday Update: A Mind-Numbing Loss

Enjoy the NCAA tournament while scouting possible future Wizards, folks! As for last night's loss to the Clippers, there really isn't much new to say. The Wiz came out and played some really strong ball early on but fell apart defensively late and were beaten by one of the few teams in the league that can seriously be labeled worse than themselves.

Opponent three-point shooting, specifically guys like Steve Novak repeatedly getting wide open looks, has been a problem all season and was again last night. The problem starts with the fact that the WIz simply can't contain the dribble and that forces help, which in turn forces rotations. No way a team should allow the Clippers to shoot 58.8 percent but it happened.

We did see some good stretches from the young fellas, including JaVale McGee, Javaris Crittenton and NIck Young and it's become very obvious that Dominic McGuire is going to be a player in this league. He brings it.

-Interim coach Ed Tapcott indicated that Caron Butler may try to play on that hamstring tomorrow night at Denver and I'm checking on Juan Dixon, who left last night's game with an achilles problem.

By Ivan Carter  |  March 19, 2009; 11:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wizards-Clippers In-Game Thread
Next: Making It Drizzle?

Comments

Of course Dom can play and is the best youngster. Known it since summer league of this year

Posted by: BurgwithaU | March 19, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I like DM, too but there's a decent chance that JM would be getting some of this pub had he been given a starting spot like DM has. DM has had his share of ups and downs as well but Tap stood by him.
It sure would be nice to see some of that same support for the other young players. They don't ALL deserve it but based on what i see, JM and Critt sure do.

Posted by: original_mark | March 19, 2009 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Does the Post really need two people to write one paragraph?

Posted by: nativedc | March 19, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Why did someone name Keith McMillan tease "news of great import" last night? Is the NBA expanding the playoff format to allow everyone in or something?

Posted by: TheFunBunch | March 19, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse

People do you ever really watch JaVale MeGee? Yes he's athletic. He's also the weight of a SF...and clueless.

Stop looking at a great dunk. I mean I can't count how many times he's tried to catch get a tip dunk instead of rebounding and put it back up. Highlight-worthy athleticism doesn't make a good basketball player.

Ask Harold Miner.

D-Mac committed to hard work and it showed in the summer, in his words and actions. He's easily at 10-15 ppg, 8-10 rpg, 5 apg player if he's stays hungry...and for a second round pick you cant ask for more than that...or what you get from Blatche.

So stop the Ernie G. bashing, Tapscott is an INTERIM...he won't be coaching the team next year so quit the Fire Tapscott nonsense. Nick Young doesn't care about defense or anything but fadeaways or dunks. You say you want him in the game...but those cross-court passes in crunch time that end up as turnovers...you question why he's in.

Critt "gets it" I think, and D-Mac. Young? No. Blatche? I think if it doesn't click after next season, No. McGee...he's like a kid playing NBA Live holding turbo and jumping at every pump fake. ALWAYS OUT OF POSITION. He is a liability. He needs to learn basic fundamentals. Should he play more to learn? Maybe...but making the same basic mistakes over and over since November? That is unacceptable. You can't get by on athleticism alone anymore JaVale, this is not Nevada.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 19, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy Dom while you can. Next year the Blogs will be full of "We miss him" as we miss Roger Mason, Jr. in 2008-9. He probably will turn into a (we hope clean living) Dennis Rodman.
The only ways the Wiz can sign THE PICK are either a package deal, probably involving Butler, or assassinations. I doubt that even the Clipper are too smart to take Thomas or James, without a sweetner.
Wait for 2010-11!!!!

Posted by: lrmc623 | March 19, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Crittenton was bad again last night. McGee showed flashes, but as others noted, he is routinely out of position and make a lot of bad plays that do not show up in the box score.

PLEASE stop the Blatche criticism. He is a 6-11 22 year old! Please name the last 6-11 22 year old who had peaked!!! Blatche will be a stud in 2-3 years.

Young is bad even when he is on, like last night. No basketball IQ at all.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | March 19, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU, I actually don't even watch Sportscenter highlights because all they do is watch the dunks. I agree that dunking is great but it's only a small part of the game.

My main problem is that we don't seem to be improving. McGuire's offseason work and game experience this year are why he's gotten better. I give no credit to coaching. Maybe JM would improve with more time. Who knows?
I just know one thing...I'd rather see him get experience than watch Songaila do what he does.

Posted by: original_mark | March 19, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

SDMDTSU and UltimateFootballNetwork are right. D-Mac gets it. Young is absolutely clueless. He's a 1-trick pony that can't even perform that 1 trick consistently. Blatche is Mr Inconsistent. Some nights he's the 2nd coming of KG and other nights he reminds you of Peter John Ramos. McGee is a special case. Someone needs to explain to him that athleticism alone doesn't cut it at this level. Everyone in the NBA can play so you have to work on those fundamentals to get ahead. Throwing down highlight dunks while exciting, don't win you matches.

Posted by: tundey | March 19, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

THANK YOU !!

I don't even think it would take that long. He'll never be the best he can be as long as he's a 4th wheel but if he were to get AJ's spot, he'd put up good numbers even now.

I'm not suggesting it, just saying...

Posted by: original_mark | March 19, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Wizards - bad defensive and bad offensive coaching is why they stink. Better coaches would have won more games than this.

Posted by: rickgonz | March 19, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with SDMDTSU for the most part. the issue with the Wiz is players that "get it" and those that don't. Dom is probably the best athlete on this team. I would love for him to work on his game and get a solid jump shot. I like Javale Mcgee. he has an upside, but he is simply a leaper at this point and needs to learn how to play position defense. But I like the fact this guy seems to have a sense of pride and confidence on the court that he will work to get better.

The others I am not that sold on. Critt is decent, but he's not anything to write home about. nice handle, not especially quick and no jumper to be found. Frankly, he's not special. solid backup or 3rd point guard at best. Nick Young just needs his azz beat. he's a punk, a sucker and a waste of talent. Really he is that much of a sorry person to me. He does not "get it" at ALL! He could and should be one of their best players, but his basketball IQ does not go past ME-ME-ME-ME and one nice play/dunk "I" did versus "the team" losing by 20 points. And that attitude and basketball IQ does not play defense. never has and never will. Lastly, I will say it again and again the Blatche experiment is over in my book. the kid got the money, so let's see if he hits the weights to be a real power forward. let's see if he works on some post moves. he should be ashamed of getting his chest caved in every time he goes against a real PFs. Blatche does not get it. He's a 4 year pro still looking to be a 6-10 240lbs guard/small forward. I'll put it this way. anybody making an NBA salary that is dumb enough to pick up a prostitute off the street just oozes loser to me.

Posted by: oknow1 | March 19, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

A Note to Orirg.Mark: The boys a stud just ask the girls at the club(i'm a poet and i don't even know it)

Posted by: dargregmag | March 19, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

rickgonz, I agree with your post. I used to think Tapscott was a moron when he was an analysis on t.v., now it's definitely been confirmed. Does he realize what their record is. If so, why am I still watching Darius play 30 plus minutes, and why is AJ leading the league in minutes averaged per game? What in the world has Pech done so wrong? In Utah he scores 13 in 1 quarter, and the next night he doesn't play? Why? So DS can play 35 minutes? And one more thing...JM had 13 and 4 at halftime last night, and we were up by 8. In the second half he played like 4 minutes and we lost by 15, just saying for all you JM haters. LET THE YOUNGSTERS PLAY...when would there be a better time? Oh wait I forgot, lets go win a couple of meaningless games to worsen our draft prospectus. MORONS

Posted by: JamesJ3 | March 19, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Quote: McGuire is easily at 10-15 ppg, 8-10 rpg, 5 apg player

If the Wiz believed that, they would be willing to lock him up now to $30+ million, 5 year contract.

On the other hand, GMs have to deal with reality. There is not much interest around the league to go after McGuire. He'd be lucky to get a contract the size of Stevenson's. That should tell you something.

Similarly, if one believed McGee was as bad as you suggest, no one would be interested in him - yet we know that's not the case.

I suggest the McGuire lovers and McGee haters look at some facts. It's hard to find any that support your view.

My guess is that this love/hate crowd suffers from kalaromatis and simply needs to stir the pot to feel self-important.

Posted by: Izman | March 19, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Someone said McGuire is better because of his own working out...not the coaches.

That's the point. Roger Mason was let go to give Nick Young a chance. HE DOESN'T WANT IT. McGuire is consistently getting 5-8 points 5-8 rebounds and about 5 assists. So at BEST with anything resembling a jumper that 5-8 points can jump to 10-12. EASILY.

I'm tired of seeing Nick Young in Chinatown having fun after a loss. He's a punk right now. You guys are complaining they aren't getting time. The kids seem fine with it. They CAN'T keep D-Mac off the court can they? He took his playing time. It wasn't given to him, the lowest pick of all 3 (Young, and McGee included) but he is the started. That's hunger.

I never said McGee was bad. He has the potential to be great he's the 7 foot version of Harold Miner like I said....he has the athletic ability but does he WANT to learn? I haven't seen it. He's still making the same basic errors as he was in November...playing your position and not chasing a block and leaving your man open for a dunk. He's still a liability.

If you can't see that D-Mac was a great find in the 2nd round...you're simply developmentally challenged.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 19, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Quote: McGuire is easily at 10-15 ppg, 8-10 rpg, 5 apg player

Easily? McGuire started 2/3 of the games this season, averaged 4.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, and 2.4 apg in 25 minutes. Quite a way to go, don't you think? I agree that McGuire is a keeper but I don't see him as a starter next season, nor do I think we should overpay him based on unrealistic expectations.

Posted by: sagaliba | March 19, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

originalmark: "When I see Mcgee, I see a guy who can get any shot off he wants because he's tall, has long arms and can jump. If he can't post a guy up in the paint because he's too light, teach him to post up at 10 feet. Big men rarely front defenders 10 feet out. Teach him to shot a short jumper or turnaround.
Defensively, teach him to front guys if he can't hold them out. It's hard to lob over a guy with his length."

These are some good observations. Think I notice is that McGee's not just long, he's got a release that doesn't require him to bring the ball down in front of his face. Even if he just stood there flat-footed, it would be difficult to block. With a little lift, the best an opposing player can hope for is that he misses.

Not to compare him to Shawn Bradley (I wouldn't do that to anybody), but I always wondered why his coaches didn't stick Shawn out on either side of the free throw line and let him shoot jumpers. He was a natural jump shooter. Again, who's gonna block it? People forget Bradley hit .400 in legion baseball despite the world's largest strike zone.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 19, 2009 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I like DMac and I think he is only gonna keep getting better. He wants it and he has earned his playing time by focusing exclusively on being a complementary player (i.e. defense, rebounding, shot blocking, ball handling and passing). Rest assured that, even when Gil and Haywood come back, DMAC will still get burn (much to the chagrin of Izman). Sure DMac is a limited scorer but all he needs is a consistent mid-range jumper and he will be TROUBLE for opponents. A lot of work with shooting guru Dave Hopla over the summer should fix DMac's jumper...

I also echo some the sentiments expressed by other posters regarding playing time. We as fans want to see the "best" players on the floor at all times. But coaches on the other hand, want guys on the floor who give a consistent effort and refrain from making the same mistakes over and over. That precisely is why Songaila gets so much playing time over Blatche and McGee. Even though Song is a B- at best, at least he is a B- EVERY night...

As a coach, would you rather play the guy you can trust? Or play the flashy athletic guy who brings an incosistent effort every night?

Posted by: MEssex | March 19, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 19, 2009 2:34 PM

The Harold Miner comparison is like comparing apples to oranges, Miner is aguard who could never did impact a game the way tbis kid can. Without question, he is the most valuable and sought after asset this club has. Let's wait to pass judgement after we get a real coaching staff and another year of experience. This year has clearly been a wash becuse of the obvious rift between Tapscott and this kid. His handling of this kid and this inept defensive scheme are part and parcel of the problem.

His play is demonstrably different after EJ left because the defensive rotations are so screwed up and nonsensical. The Wizards team defense is just as porous when the veterans are playing which is a majority of the minutes. Lets imagine McGee and Arenas in a puick and roll where you have a point guard that demands his guy and the roll defender to honor him. Think Tyson Chandler. Also a real coach would simplify that dumba$$ defensive scheme requiring the trap 30 feet fromn the basket. A lot of the Wizards woes are because nobody has demanded that their perimeter defenders play strong on the ball defense.

Posted by: NewManagement | March 19, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

"Yes McGee had 13 and 4 at halftime...so what. Numbers don't tell you the story. Otherwise the last full season played he averaged 30 with Kobe and LeBron. Is he that caliber of a player? I didn't think so." what?

Posted by: bford1kb | March 19, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

"The Harold Miner comparison is like comparing apples to oranges, Miner is aguard who could never did impact a game the way tbis kid can."

True -- basketball definitely favors a taller guy. And McGee is really, really tall.

But there's another respect in which Miner and McGee are alike. Neither responds real well to structured play. Maybe it's the freakish athleticism.

Like McGee, Miner didn't get much court time from either Heat coach (Alvin Gentry and Kevin Loughery). Allegedly, it was the mistakes that brought all the pine time.

Let's hope the similarity ends there.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 19, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Obviously last night the CLIPPERS weren't worse. LOS BARBEROS provided a shave with their trim. The LIZARDS however slithered into second place for 25% of the lottery balls in the draft. It surely was thoughtless to beat SACRAMENTO. What COULD the club be thinking? We're running out of ways to lose on our journey to the top, ARRIBA ABAJO.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 19, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

All negatives last night except for D-Mac and JaVAL. Guess who came in third - DARIUS at -1. WOW!!!!

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 19, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

When I said he averaged 30 a game, I meant Arenas. Gilbert averaged 30 with Kobe and LeBron...but I wouldnt put him on that level. Not even that season. Numbers will never tell the story. Ever.

And I said at best McGuire can be that kind of player. If you don't think McGuire has improved since he was first inserted into the starting lineup until now? I don't know what to tell you. 10, 8 and 5 I dont think is unrealistic for D-Mac.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 19, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I did see D-Mac has improved, especially his shooting and ball handling. But the rebounding (his strength) is up and down and lacks the consistency that I've hoped. I am not trying to pick bones, I am just trying to say that it is much harder to see continue improvement at the rapid pace when it reaches a certain plateau.

In addition, if all the injured players come back (many of whom were the starters), McGuire's minutes will be reduced. In that case, 10/8/5 would mean he not only has to more than double his output, but also has to do it in much less playing time! Easily? Definitely not! More importantly, I will not (and I hope Wizards won't either) write a check based on such optimistic assumption!

Posted by: sagaliba | March 20, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I'm confused...you say D-Mac's rebounding lacks consistency but people want Nick Young and McGee to get time? Mac got no playing time last year, he worked and took it. Nick Young didn't play much they got rid of a key player to open a spot for him and how much has he worked? McGuire is versitile enough to still get play with Arenas and Haywood...allow Butler to play more SG and Jamison to play some SF...can also reduce Butler and Jamison's minutes to keep them fresh. I think he's going to keep working and getting better and I dont like 10/8/5 is an unrealistic ceiling for him.

Posted by: SDMDTSU | March 20, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse