Wizards (15-49) vs. Hornets (39-23)

Wizards starters: Mike James, Caron Butler, Darius Songaila, Antawn Jamison, Dominic McGuire.

Hornets: Chris Paul, Rasual Butler, Tyson Chandler, David West, Julian West.

Refs:Bob Delaney, Tommy Nunez Jr., Joe Forte.

Line: Hornets 8.

-Mike James returns after missing Monday's win at Minnesota with the flu.

-Peja Stojakovic and Sean Marks are out for the Hornets.

-The obvious problem for the Wizards tonight is Chris Paul in the pick-and-roll game. He's a beast for everyone but especially for a team like the WIzards who don't have a point guard nearly quick enough to stay with him and they don't rotate well defensively.

Paul chewed them up with16 assists and 15 points in a 97-85 win in New Orleans on Dec. 30 and I have hard time seeing a vastly different outcome tonight. Peja being out helps some however but he was 4 of 14 and 1 of 9 from 3-point range in that first game and the Hornets still won.

-Nick Young has been in one of funks again - one of those where he misses his first shot or two and goes into the tank mentally -but he's trying to get out of it. In the locker room before the game, Gilbert Arenas rolled up to Young's locker and challenged him to a game of one-on-one.

Arenas: "The way you're playing right now, you don't want any part of me."
Young, who took up the challenge, countered with: "I'm going to bust your (butt) and get my confidence back."

By Ivan Carter |  March 11, 2009; 6:05 PM ET
Previous: The Other Side: New Orleans Hornets | Next: Hornets 109, Wizards 98

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Ivan!!!!!!!,Whats the update on Flip Saunders?

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | March 11, 2009 6:47 PM

I'm glad that on comcast they still list darius as a forward in the starting lineups, we officially start four forwards, 3 small and one power + mike james WHO? mike james... sweet

Posted by: bford1kb | March 11, 2009 7:04 PM

oh and young very quietly played solid in the last two games if you didn't notice

Posted by: bford1kb | March 11, 2009 7:05 PM

Does DMac miss an open shot in rhythm anymore?

Posted by: cannontl | March 11, 2009 7:28 PM

Since the game will be over by the 3rd Q.
Let's play who'll get the most minutes.
Javale or Darius
Blatch or AJ
James or Critt
Juan or Pech
Caron or Dom.

Posted by: VBFan | March 11, 2009 8:08 PM

Wondering if Butlers missed defensive assignments and Antawns horrific defense are the young guys fault?

Am I the only one who thinks its insane that McGuire is not guarding CP3?

The McGee/Blatche lineup again was working wonders on defense and stretched the lead...again. And as soon as Tapscott went back to the vets the lead evaporated. I guess that was the young guys fault.

You cannot expect sucess without accountability.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | March 11, 2009 8:37 PM

Yep, Once again the Blatche/McGee combo was a force on D but once again for some insane reason he keeps yanking McGee and the second he does the lead evaporates. I just don't understand it.

Posted by: mschmall625 | March 11, 2009 9:18 PM

Wow, 44 mins each for Butler& Jamison, at which this team was down 17 heading into the 4th quarter, yes the same team that is 15-50. I really don't understand why they are playing so many minutes this late in a lost season.

Over playing the Big 3 was always a concern, but at least, in the past, this team was fighting for home court advantage and playoff positioning. Now, it just makes no sense at all.

Ivan, please get Tapscott's thoughts on this. Fine, don't play the kids, but please don't kill our best players...

Posted by: -CN- | March 11, 2009 9:36 PM

Tyson Chandler was + 24.

McGee played only 7 minutes. Obviously, Taps had a better alternative than McGee, at least in his imagination.

Posted by: Izman | March 11, 2009 9:45 PM

larryinclinton: ""I know I'm gonna take some heat for this, but slow footed can't jump Darius Songala fullfills more than just a basketball role here."

I thought he was here so fans could have somebody to blame for the Wiz' poor play now that Stevenson isn't available.

Seriously, what makes you think Songaila can't play? Just the lack of athleticism? You saying his skills don't measure up? Because I would have to argue about that.

There are a lot of players on the Wiz with indifferent skills, but Songaila isn't one of them.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 11, 2009 6:59 PM

Claiming that Songaila was only signed to fulfill some kind of racial quota is ignorant nonsense.

Posted by: kalo_rama | March 11, 2009 8:37 PM

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 11, 2009 10:08 PM

Samson151 and Kalo_rama,

I know I am out on a limb on this one but racial quota is too strong an anagoly. And Songaila is at best in the 5/4 position the 3rd guy off the bench. On most Teams, he would not even be considered.

Do you think for once that the Small Business Bureau is not a form of affirmative action, Farm subsidies, OASHA, Title 10, the Voting Rights Act, and on and on and on.

Kalo_rama, we ain't talking about no stinking racial quota's, we are talking about giving everybody a chance to succeed in whatever their forte' is.

I was born at night, but not last night.

I want Songaila's spot to be filled with Tyler Hansbrough and everbody knows that Blake Griffin is way too much value for Songaila, but Tyler is not.

I knew hanging out on that limb would get somebody to holler at me, but you better holler good, cause I am better than you might think.

Holla at Player! And if you don't know, where I come from, You Better Ask Somebody.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 11, 2009 10:10 PM

Chris Paul is an athletic version of Steve Nash. Now that's what you call a real guard.

He shredded Les BouleS at will.

Just another Chris Brown beat down on Les BouleS.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | March 11, 2009 10:14 PM

"Now affirmative action is something that I am 100% for. To call it a racial quota is an inaccurate analysis. Affirmative action opens the door to people period who might not have otherwise gotten a chance. Affirmative action applies to all types of situations.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 11, 2009 10:10 PM "

Huh?

Somebody needs to call the EEOC on David Stern. The NBA clearly does not represent the racial breakdown of the US.

Another point:

Charles Barkley went on a self imposed vacation after his second DUI and actually served jail time. TNT should have fired him, but didn't.

Marv Albert was fired by NBC after his misdemeanor charge was dropped.

If the results were reversed, people would be crying about racism.

I've posed this point to Mike Wilbon several times on his online chat, but he won't touch it, because he's a biased MF'er.

Charles Barkley is a moron who said, as he left the jail house, to his fellow inmates: "ya'll are not criminals..just people who made a mistake."

Sorry Charles, you're a second time DUI'er. How many chances do you need to prove that you have drinking problem?

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | March 11, 2009 10:19 PM

Now I rather not brought that forward, but I was responding to a blogger who said that big white boys could only play for Utah and the Celtics.

Apparently, that blogger has no real history of the game, so I chose to respond to him in that manner. Anyone with any NBA knowledge knows that big white boys have played all over the League and have been some damn good players.

Unfortunately, Samson151 and Kalo, you guys caught the second punch 'so to speak'.

Instead of asking me why I want Tyler on this Team, he assumed that white boys can only play for certain Teams.

As many times as I have brought up Tyler Hansbrough and talked bad about Songaila, I have never bought up their color. Had never seen this bloggers name before.

But he needed a history lessen. Go back and check the blog out. I could not let it pass. Based on his analogy, Tyer could not play for this Team, 'cause he is white.

Color be damned, Tyler Hansbrough is good enough to play for any NBA Team.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 11, 2009 10:39 PM

"My point to him is, that white boy Tyler can play, and you have one playing for the Wizards that can't play, and Yeah cannot play, and I want his spot taken by Tyler.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 11, 2009 10:39 PM "

And, there are many black boys in the NBA that can't play either. Maybe you can consider Tyler for some of their spots too.

Having athletic ability vs. being able to play the game of basketball are two different things.

Take away NY's athletic ability and he'd probably be flipping burgers right about now. Guys like him and people like Kenny Sky Walker, Darius Miles, Gerald Green, Desmond Mason, JR Rider, etc are dudes that are really only good for a highlight clip once in awhile.

They'll never play a major role in helping their teams win anything despite them being the most athletic player on the court.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | March 11, 2009 10:59 PM

Larry, you're not following me. I just asked if you though Songaila was unskilled. Because I would argue that 'skilled' is precisely what he is.

So if you're saying Songaila is unskilled, you have to provide some evidence to support that. And so far, you haven't.

Posted by: Samson151 | March 12, 2009 4:07 AM

Samson151,

Unskilled? Without being disenginuous, we all must ASSUME that any player who makes it to the NBA has skills.

That being said as they say in the Military when you ASS.U.ME. you make an ASS. of U. and ME.

Just because Songaila has skills and yes DC_Man88 does not mean he is a good fit or a good player.

In my book Songaila and all the players you named DC_Man88 are in the same boat. Yes they are skilled NBA players, but they ain't good and they would not play any major role on my Team as Songaila does with the Wizards.

They all would be the third guy on my Team coming off the bench if I had them, at their position, which means practically never. You see, I want to win championships and you have to have good and great talent and chemistry and outstanding direction to win one.

And that boy Tyler Hansbrough has championship pedigree written all over him. You see his color does not matter to me, the fact they he is a far better product than them dud's alluded to matters to me.

Yeah, Samson151, Darius does have skills like a lot of players around the NBA, but that does not mean they ain't all Duds.

And by the way, that stiff Etan Thomas is one too.

Now can you see why I would like to see Tyler Hansbrough playing for the Wizards instead of those two.

Chances are we may get Blake or we may not, and if not I'm settling for Tyler Hansbrough and outa' here with ETan & DSon.

You know I have always said them two can't play, but some blogger had to compound the sit' with color. Go back to the Blog.

LarryInClintonMD.