Wizards (16-56) vs. Bobcats (31-39)

Wizards starters: Javaris Crittenton, Mike James, Dominic McGuire, Antawn Jamison, Andray Blatche

Bobcats: Raymond Felton, Raja Bell, Gerald Wallace, Boris Diaw, Emeka Okafor.

Refs: Tony Brothers, Scott Wall, Tom Washington

-Injury update: Caron Butler will miss his seventh straight game with that left hamstring problem. Juan Dixon (achilles) and Darius Songaila (pinched nerve in neck) also will be out leaving the WIzards with eight players.

-Well, that lasted long. Gilbert Arenas' pledge to no longer talk to the media lasted two days. He chatted before the game about why he will no longer blog. He also did some shooting on the game court about an hour before tip and in the words of Ed Tapscott "is on schedule" for making his season debut Saturday night against Detroit.

-The Wizards are 0-14 against against the Southeast and need a win tonight or April 4 against Miami to avoid becoming the first team in NBA history to go winless against its own division.

-This will be my final game as the WIz beat writer. My last day at the Post is tomorrow and Mike Lee will be taking over from there. Funny thing is, the first Wiz game I covered was against the Bobcats at the end of the 2004-05 season. That went fast. It's been fun but time for a new challenge.

By Ivan Carter |  March 25, 2009; 6:24 PM ET
Previous: The Other Side: Charlotte Bobcats | Next: Wizards 95, Bobcats 93

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Good luck Ivan.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 25, 2009 6:44 PM

Hey Ivan whats the news on you joining Washington Post Live. And who will cover the team next season thanks.

PS. hate to see you go you have been great.

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | March 25, 2009 6:45 PM

NO Ivan Please don't go NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | March 25, 2009 6:47 PM

Lets see here now. Who am I missing. We got Songaila, Butler, and Dixon out leaving us with eight players for tonights game.

Now Gilbert, Haywood, and Stevenson brings my player total to 14 players.

Now who is that 15th player I'm missing.

Hummm... or dammn, Oh! Oh! Well Gosh Darn. I am forgetting that fellow already.

Etan! Etan!

Things are looking up. But doggit, hope I don't have any nightmarish flashbacks next year seeing him running up and down the floor in a Wizards uni.'

Haw! Haw!

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 25, 2009 6:47 PM

Best of luck Ivan. You have done an incredible job getting us the scoops before anywhere else

Posted by: djnumb | March 25, 2009 6:51 PM

My only 2 criticisms of Ivan have been his reluctance to admit nor correct any mistakes in his articles or blogs (ego) and his refusal to address Abe Pollin's extreme cheapness.

Otherwise he's been an above average beat reporter.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 25, 2009 6:54 PM

I've read your articles in the Post and Wizards Insider for years now and you have poured so much of yourself into covering the Wizards that I feel like I know you and consider you a friend. Everyday I check in to see your take on the team, and I consider you to know this team and its players better than anyone. Although beat writers have to be diplomatic because they need good relationships with their sources, you have never held back in your coverage of the team, the good and the bad, and when something didn't smell right you didn't look the other way or put a positive spin on it, you told us the truth. You have been our eyes and ears, and in that capacity given us so a close-up a look into the dynamics of the team and the organization that you have immeasurably enriched the experience of being a Wizards fan. You have a love of the game and hunger for the story that make you a great journalist. I wish you the best in the future and look forward to more great things.
Thanks for everything Ivan

Posted by: emmet1 | March 25, 2009 7:15 PM

I can't believe out of all the bloggers that come to this site that no one has an opinion on whether the straw chewing by Caron Butler while playing affects his health.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 25, 2009 7:16 PM

Ivan I'm knew to the site just this year. Still learning how things work and all that.

I sensed that you and Mike responded to a lot of the things blogged here, but you did not address them directly to a specific blogger or quote what responses you were referring to.

That was probably professionalism journalism on your part, but Ivan remember this:

My Daddy always told me:

"Son, it never hurts to be personal sometimes in your professional life."

What I am trying to say is that you Ivan and Mike would add tremendous intangible value to this sight by ever' now' and' then' responding specifically to a blogger by name or quote.

So Mike take that with you and know that I have enjoyed being apart of this site that you have played a major role.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 25, 2009 7:35 PM

Correction: professional journalism..

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | March 25, 2009 7:48 PM

Damn, this stinks. Good luck Ivan, it wont be the same without you. A great reporter.

Posted by: Roman5 | March 25, 2009 8:00 PM

For a guy nicknamed "tough juice" how can he manage to miss 7 games--which equates to about 2 weeks--with a "tight" hamstring? That's not even a real injury. it's not a strain, it's not partially torn. How inept is the medical staff for this squad if a dude misses that much time with an injury you might get from sleeping funny? Either his injury is not really as simple as a tight hamstring, the medical staff has no understanding of their profession, or Butler just doesn't want to be on the court. Either way, it's embarrassing.

I really am starting to question his character. he misses 2 weeks due to tightness and misses like 3 or 4 games due to the flu. What's his deal? I imagine if he ended up with the same minor injury that took Arenas 2 years to come back from, it make take "tough juice" a decade to recover from. Who knows, by then, the Wizards could be back to the Washington Bullets. or in Seattle.

Posted by: superwilks | March 25, 2009 8:04 PM

Man of the half: Nick Young.

Well played Nick. Keep it up.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2009 8:04 PM

Good luck Ivan - have really enjoyed your blogs!
Yes, Nick looking good so far. That Gerald Wallace is tough!

Posted by: washwiz | March 25, 2009 8:17 PM

Lol, honestly, it looked like the Wiz were trying to tank because they did just about everything wrong in those last 3 minutes of the game!

Posted by: rxs85 | March 25, 2009 9:29 PM

Yeah the Wizards won tonight but they SUCK! The last 5 minutes was some terrible basketball. This team cannot execute near the end of the game... lucky the layup didn't go in of Bobcats woulda won.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 25, 2009 9:30 PM

of=OR

Posted by: rachel216 | March 25, 2009 9:32 PM

Thanks Ivan.

Posted by: bronco6778 | March 25, 2009 9:43 PM

Good Luck, Ivan! You have been great the last few years - we will miss you!

My question is - where is Russ Thaler going since you are taking over his gig?

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 25, 2009 9:53 PM

Tough night for McGuire and Young does some other things besides score. Go figure.

Both teams played poorly down the stretch, not just the Wiz.

Good luck to you Ivan - enjoyed your coverage of the Wiz.

Posted by: cannontl | March 25, 2009 9:54 PM

"This will be my final game as the WIz beat writer."

Bye Ivan. :(

I really enjoyed your blog here, I still think it's the best on the Post. I wish you the best in all of your future endevours. :)

Please come back from time to time and visit us....or else we will have to read what Mike writes about his "Kobe love" every other blog. ;)

Take care man. :)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 25, 2009 10:10 PM

Taps played the young guys by default because he had no other option, and the Wiz won. And most of the young guys played sub-par. Just think what could have been if the young guys had been playing 30+ minutes a game since game 12...

Posted by: Izman | March 25, 2009 10:13 PM

Where has that energy from minutes 18-48 been the rest of the year? It was intense, it was active, it was instinctual, it was...good.

This team just gave us one of those glimpses -- hey, these guys can play.

By the way, the Clippers won too. No harm, no foul with this win.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2009 10:23 PM

Gee,Rachel....have you ever experienced a time at work when you had simply too much work and no help? Obviously you must be perfect.

The Wiz only had 8 players tonight yet came back from a 20 point deficit to win. I think they deserve applause and congratulations.

Posted by: Lisa_R | March 25, 2009 10:23 PM

"The Wiz only had 8 players tonight yet came back from a 20 point deficit to win."

It was actually more like 7 players considering Pech and McGee combined for 23 minutes.

There was also a role reversal tonight, where Dom had the poor game and major brain lapse in the last 10 seconds of the game, while Young had the total game tonight, including 2 huge defensive plays to close the 4th quarter (his block on Wallace(?) and his strip of Okafor in the last scrum). These are the games where we got to see Young as he could be if he gets his act together consistently.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2009 10:32 PM

superwilks:

Of your dynamic trio, I choose #3. Been saying that for a while now.

Posted by: glawrence007 | March 25, 2009 10:50 PM

"Either his injury is not really as simple as a tight hamstring"

Clearly, just as Arenas' 2nd and 3rd knee injuries weren't just "swelling", nor was DeShawn's injury a "sore back". This is one of the most tight-lipped organizations when it comes to injuries.

Of course, given the recent history of injuries, it may not be a tight-lipped thing, instead being an ineptitude thing. I certainly wouldn't put that past them.

Posted by: psps23 | March 25, 2009 11:05 PM

Ivan, you've created a terrific blog, been very insightfull and thanks! Really sorry to see that you're moving on.

Posted by: fenderdeluxe | March 25, 2009 11:45 PM

Good luck Ivan. We'll miss you!

Posted by: gburggal | March 26, 2009 11:57 AM