Haywood Still Getting In Shape

Brendan Haywood's minutes and production have increased with each game since he returned last week, going from two points, two rebounds and three blocks in 24 minutes in his debut against Memphis on Wednesday, to 12 points and 10 rebounds in 32 minutes against Cleveland the next day and 18 points and 12 rebounds in 35 minutes against Miami on Saturday.

But Haywood feels that he his lagging with his conditioning after missing the first 74 games of the season after having surgery on his right wrist. He claims that he hasn't been this out of shape since high school. At times, Haywood finds himself gasping for air and sometimes looking over at interim coach Ed Tapscott, hoping for a breather.

"I feel like I'm getting in shape slowly but surely, more slower than anything else," said Haywood. "Normally, I'm used to being in pretty good shape in training camp and going on during the course of the season. Now, it's kind of like starting training camp all over for myself."

Since he didn't hurt his lower limbs, Haywood was able to maintain the same weight from training camp, where he initially suffered his wrist injury. He said he ran, worked on elliptical machines, "different things I was able to do to make sure I didn't come back all puffy."

"I'm not heavy or anything," Haywood said. "I don't have the wind."

Tapscott is pleased to have Haywood back in whatever shape he is in. The Wizards have held the edge in rebounding and points in the paint in the three games Haywood has played. They have outrebounded Memphis, Cleveland and Miami by an average of 41.3-38. The Wizards outscored them in the paint by an average of 52.7-34.7.

"I would say Brendan's injury hurt us as much defensively than did missing Gilbert offensively," Tapscott said. "He's always been sort of the captain of the defense. His presence, his intelligence in the back, his communication skills have helped us. It builds a certain confidence."

By Michael Lee  |  April 6, 2009; 11:06 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: MMPG: Player of the Week
Next: MMPG: The FourCast

Comments

Thanks Mike, Whats the update on Nick Young injury thanks.

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | April 6, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I find it hard to believe he did much running if he's THAT out of shape right now.

Posted by: sargeantmofo | April 6, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 6, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I want to see Gil at the 1, Caron at the 2, Jamison at the 3, McGee at the 4, and Haywood at the 5. = total destruction

Posted by: sanjuan1227 | April 6, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"Running on a treadmill or a track isn't the same thing as running in an NBA game.
Posted by: kalo_rama"

I guess it isn't. Brendan sounded genuinely surprised at how out of shape he was. Athletes always say there's nothing to compare with game shape, and I suppose that's true.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 6, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

You know who really has struggled with conditioning? Greg Oden. He's been much less of a factor than Portland hoped.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 6, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

You hear the same thing from athletes coming off long layoffs all the time: There's no way to simulate NBA game speed; the only way to get into game shape is to play games.

As for Oden, his conditioning is really the least of Portland's problems. His conditioning would take care of itself if he could stay healthy long enough to play at a consistent clip. A possibly bigger concern though is his confidence and mindset in the wake of all the setbacks and growing criticism.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 6, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

sanjuan1227:

Like your starting line-up for 2009.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 6, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chad32 | April 6, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, you can't compare game shape and elliptical workouts.

I just tested it myself. I've been working out for months now and can do 2 hrs on an elliptical easily. Then I just played my first full court basketball game in probably 2/3 years and I was dying. The starts/stops, jumping, being explosive etc... is a completely kind of shape.

It was a blast though and I went 3 for 3 with 2 three pointers and a layup to lead my team in scoring for the one game. Not bad for a 36 year old man running with 20 somethings...lol!

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 6, 2009 8:09 PM | Report abuse

I think it just relieves Gil of the responsibility of running point on a major basis while giving him maximum operation of the two position.

I am less concerned with Haywood conditioning than I am with the fact I don't see any evidence that he worked on creating a left handed shot or making his left handed moves more efficient.

I am a Haywood fan and this may be to early to assess his rehab. But I am confident that time spent dribbling and shooting with the left hand would have been invaluable.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 6, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, you can't compare game shape and elliptical workouts.

Posted by: rphilli721 | April 6, 2009 8:09 PM "

Which clearly proves my point.

You being a Joe Schmoe playing once in awhile and eating whatever and working out on an elliptical "easily" and then dying in a game clearly means that BTH needs to be doing exponentially more than what you are doing.

BTH had nothing wrong with his wheels, and could have worked out more....as he probably has access to personal trainers, strength coaches, dieticians, and probably more than just an elliptical in the gym. Those people, of course, could have devised a workout plan for him beyond just doing a much ballyhooed 2 hours of elliptical stuff that you do.

If you read above, you will note that BTH said he's usually in shape in training camp.

Of course, in training camp, no real games are going on like during the regular season against other teams playing for real.

BTH could have easily participated in drills that don't require him to shoot.

If OL in football such as Joe Jacoby can pass block 300+ lbs defense lineman with an injured hand wrapped up like a club, surely BTH can run up and down the court and do something beyond a silly 2 hour elliptical routine.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 7, 2009 2:16 AM | Report abuse

"Somehow I see well that Gil can handle the 1, but on the other hand I feel that Crit at the 1 with Gil at 2 maximizes our capabilities.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 6, 2009 9:47 PM "

The point that you're clearly missing is that when Gilby is on the court, he needs and wants the ball in his hands. He's not a guard who rolls around screens and fights picks or takes quick turnaround straight up jumpers.

He's a guy who needs the ball in his hands while facing the basket.

Gilby will not be content to continue his career just scoring 10-15 pts and getting 8 assists/game even if the team wins. You don't pay someone max money to be focused primarily on being a facilitator.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 7, 2009 2:19 AM | Report abuse

"Haywood could have ran on a track or treadmill -- he could have run suicides and wind sprints but there is nothing he could do to replicate game action. I think part of him not having his wind is nervous energy of just being out there plus the stop and go action of the NBA, combined with the pushing and jockeying for position. He probably ran a lot to keep his weight down but that may not correspond to being ready to go full tilt in an NBA game.

Posted by: Chad32 | April 6, 2009 3:27 PM "

Please read above what Mike reported.

And that was that BTH said himself that he's usually in shape during training camp, which if course, isn't via "game action."

Then again, regardless of what BTH says, there will be some here who pretend to be BTH who will try to contradict what the real BTH says.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 7, 2009 2:23 AM | Report abuse