Leftovers Part II: The King's Antics

Just wanted to make sure you don't forget about me. (Photo by Ned Dishman/NBAE via Getty Images)

Did anyone notice what LeBron James did with 15.3 seconds remaining and Gilbert Arenas at the foul line? After Arenas made his first free throw to give the Wizards a 107-101 lead, James informed a referee that he had blood on his jersey, leading to an officials' timeout that broke up Arenas's rhythm. Arenas missed his next free throw attempt, one of three misses on the night for him, and gave the Cavaliers a little life.

The incident was reminiscent of Game 6 of the Wizards' and Cavaliers' first playoff series in 2006, when Arenas missed two free throws with 15 seconds left after James walked up to him, patted him on the chest and said, "If you miss both of those free throws, the game is over."

The Cavaliers then answered on the other end, with Damon Jones nailing the game-winning shot in a gut-wrenching 114-113 overtime loss for Washington. Since then, the league has banned players from interrupting shooters while they are on the foul line. But Arenas said something felt fishy last night. 'Instead of calling a timeout, he said he had blood on his jersey," Arenas said, rolling his eyes. "It's always something, right?

I never got a chance to catch up with Dominic McGuire, but he had a really tough assignment having to match up against James and Mo Williams. The challenge of guarding James was made difficult when McGuire was twice called for fouls when James tripped over his own feet and fell into him.

The craziest foul on McGuire came in the third quarter when James drove to the basket, feet rolling like he was in Fred Flintstone's car, and stumbled to the ground. McGuire did everything in his power to back out of the way, but that's pretty hard when a 6-foot-9 guy is falling down.

McGuire couldn't slow down Williams or James, but he finished with 10 rebounds and seven points, including a huge three-point play after the Cavaliers tied the game at 86.

... Lost in the hoopla surrounding the continuation of the Wizards and Cavaliers rivalry was the NBA's recognition of Autism Awareness month. The Wizards had a special Autism Speaks public service announcement last night. Autism Speaks is dedicated to funding global biomedical research into the causes, prevention, treatments, and cure for autism.

By Michael Lee |  April 3, 2009; 10:01 AM ET
Previous: Leftovers Part I: Role Players | Next: Afternoon Buzz

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

No possible way, possibly, at all, that the fake-blood-timeout is an explanation for a missed FT from a good shooter under pressure. He should be able to come off cold, with no rhythm, with somebody yelling directly in his ear, and knock down the FTs. That said, it's not really a big deal (nobody makes 'em all) and it wasn't even a high pressure FT - the game wasn't that close (a far cry from the playoff misses...)

I thought McGuire did fine. If Lebron wants to take those pull up 3's from all over the court, fine. Have fun.

Posted by: GshawnJohnson | April 3, 2009 10:12 AM

You people are insensitive pigs. Like LeBron has any control over when he gets his period. Show a little respect.

Posted by: bryc3 | April 3, 2009 11:10 AM

Yea Mike I noticed it and I thought the same thing. I can't stand LaTravel (as a player only), but I have to give it to him the young dude is pretty smart. Reminds me of something MJ might do.

Posted by: BulletsFever | April 3, 2009 11:27 AM

MJ or a**hole cheater, whatever the case. I hate him and I hope they get bounced from the playoffs early

Posted by: BurgwithaU | April 3, 2009 11:48 AM

I just don't like that the officials clearly bail him out over and over. A guy as talented and physically gifted as James shouldn't need the officials to maintain his star status. I wish the officials would make the right call once in a while so that good defense is rewarded.

Posted by: jon_quest | April 3, 2009 12:02 PM

refs wouldnt stop a game like that (after the shooter already has the ball - which is actually a big deal) for anybody else in the league (past or present).

im glad you call these antics out michael.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | April 3, 2009 12:08 PM

Stars always get the benefit of the refs whistle. Always have, always will. Gotta protect the golden goose.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 3, 2009 12:19 PM

All the good ones get the calls. Jordan always got the good calls and was never called for defensive fouls.

Same thing happens in MLB where the superstar pitcher gets the strike call and the rookie does not.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | April 3, 2009 12:20 PM

Posted by: bryc3 | April 3, 2009 11:10 AM

That, my friend, is classic!!!!! Thanks for making my day!

Posted by: virtueandvice | April 3, 2009 12:23 PM

Lebron is low-class. He is the equivalent in games of Gilbert Arenas in the infamous Gil-Deshawn 3 pt contest

Posted by: emmet1 | April 3, 2009 12:45 PM

LeBron always gets away with travels and receives phantom calls on the offensive end. Not to mention that McGuire isn't an All-Star like CB3 who might not have been called for fouls. As much as I respect LeBron's ability and talent, his antics on the court including always pandering to the refs is pretty sickening to watch. I know the superstars like Kobe and DWade get their share of calls, but they don't while like LeBron.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 3, 2009 1:16 PM

no, Jordan never would have resorted to "faking" blood on himself to try and ice a shooter. true superstars don't whine and act like Lebron does - and yes the "falling down to get a foul" act is seriously wearing thin. the biggest problem with Lebron IMO is he carries himself like he's better than everyone else and has an incredibly annoying self-entitlement thing going on. I think that he's had his a$$ kissed for so long that he's come to truly believe all of the b.s.

Posted by: gibbshogs | April 3, 2009 1:28 PM

oh and the post by bryc3 about the period was brilliant!

Posted by: gibbshogs | April 3, 2009 1:29 PM

You know, Cleveland may have the league's best record, but these two games have sure revealed some serious weaknesses in their armor. If I were Boston, LA, San Antonio, or Orlando, I'd be licking my chops.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 3, 2009 1:42 PM

glad all the front-running Cavs fans from Washington got their dose. witness

Posted by: bford1kb | April 3, 2009 2:12 PM

I busted out laughing at the period comment.

And yes, I noticed the incident and immediately though something fishy was up. I wonder what needs to happen for Arenas to stop saying that he "admires" King Crab.

Posted by: Fontana1 | April 3, 2009 5:09 PM

Definitely thought the stoppage was abnormal, but i wouldn't go so far as to call it cheating. the refs know their jobs if they weren't supposed to stop the game at that point for blood then they're wrong for doing it and the league should investigate.
how is it different than a player saying "That shot was a three not a two.." and the ref just saying "ok" and giving up the point. it's not cheating, you do what you can to get an edge in the game while playing within the rules. It was definitely SHADY Lebron, but not cheating.

Posted by: lilhollywood10 | April 3, 2009 5:53 PM

The blood-on-my-jersey official timeout, if true, is a thing of beauty. I can't hate because our star didn't think of it first. But I hate how LeBron gets all these phantom calls and how he *expects* to get them. And it's just not LeTravel. It's all NBA stars. That's why you simply can't win in the NBA without a bonafide star. Even Tim Duncan, as low-keyed as he is, gets the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: tundey | April 3, 2009 7:31 PM

I wonder how much the Lakers or the Celtics will pay for the tape of last night's game.

Posted by: tundey | April 3, 2009 7:32 PM

Mike, why are you trying to overhype the meaningless?

What matters isn't what you note above. What matters is that Les BouleS have been eliminated from the playoffs the past 3 seasons by the Cavs, with or without Gilby.

And, it seems that Gilby can't shake the Lebron mental games. No ice water in those veins.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 3, 2009 10:37 PM

Mike, since you want to talk about free throws, I'll humor you.

Look at Lebron's FT stats vs. Gilby's FT stats. At Gilby's prime, he shot just about as many FT's as Lebron has been shooting in his prime, AND THE FUNNY THING IS THAT GILBY IS NO WHERE NEAR THE SUPER STAR THAT LEBRON IS!!!!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 3, 2009 10:49 PM

Doing a great job Mike.

0-2 run for the Crabiliers. Lets see if we can help when drop from first with our next match up.

Posted by: hands11 | April 4, 2009 2:22 AM

"As for the blood. It was probably from the thumb he is always chewing on. He could probably dab some blood on this jersey whenever he feels like it the way he gnaws on that thing. So nasty.

Posted by: hands11 | April 4, 2009 2:22 AM "

Caron's gnawing on straws is nasty too.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 4, 2009 12:51 PM