What Will You Remember?

Was this the highlight of the season? (Reuters Photo)

Gilbert Arenas had a lot to say the past two days, but he played in only two of the 82 games this season. He wasn't around for the Wizards' season-opening five-game losing streak or their first victory of the season against Utah, when Eddie Jordan welcomed the arrival of rookie JaVale McGee by encouraging the crowd to stand and applaud.

He wasn't around for the five-game losing streak that got Jordan fired or Ed Tapscott's first game as Jordan's replacement, when Andray Blatche erupted with the ultimate tease of 25 points, 12 rebounds, five steals and five blocks and the Wizards crushed Golden State, 124-100.

There was the eight-game losing streak in December, followed by a two-game win streak that included a road victory over Houston, when Antawn Jamison scored 30 points despite leaving the game briefly with a knee injury.

LeBron James helped give the Wizards a win with the "crab dribble," then the team lost another six in a row. Caron Butler provided some buzzer-beating heroics against Indiana and in Toronto. President Obama visited, exchanged some trash talk, and watched his beloved Chicago Bulls go down.

Arenas made a highly-publicized return against the Detroit Pistons, but had his potential game-winner blocked by Kwame Brown, of all people.
Brendan Haywood made his surprise season debut during a loss in Memphis, proving to Tapscott that it wasn't a cruel April Fool's Joke. Haywood and Arenas made their only start together against the Cavaliers and the Wizards became the first team 40 games below .500 to beat a team 40 games above .500 in NBA history.

There weren't very many highlights to this 19-63 season, but what stands out to you guys? What you remember most about the 2008-09 season? The day Jordan was fired? The fourth-quarter collapses? The first time you saw McGee make a putback dunk? The consistent effort of Antawn Jamison? Caron's game-winners? The inconsistent youth? The losing streaks? The injured list? Tying the 19-63 record of that miserable season that yielded Kwame Brown?

Those are just a few suggestions, but this forum is for you. What will you remember most? Fire away.

By Michael Lee  |  April 17, 2009; 2:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: You Tell Us: Wizards MVP
Next: Wizards Win! (Lottery Tiebreaker)

Comments

I will remember when Eddie Jordan got fired, That was a very sad day.He had took the team to the playoffs 4 consecutive seasons, and Ernie just pointed to him as the scapegoat.

Also Javale played well this year, creating buzz in the Verizon center with his awesome dunks.

Posted by: brandonjamal13 | April 17, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I just think we've finally come full circle and broken out of our pattern of bad luck. Remember that Dixon pass to no one against the Raptors at home? Maybe it signifies the end of an era... Michael Ruffin went squirrel-hunting in the rafters of the Verizon Center a few years ago only to have the ball come down for the Raptors' game-tying 3-pointer, and that was when our hard times as a franchise began. Perhaps Juan's errant throw to the Raptors for another ridiculous (Bosh!?!?) 3-pointer to beat us means we have come full circle and are ready to get back on track (along with the retirement of the black/gold unis).

I'll also remember:

- McGee's rookie season, since he will one day be a monster. He had some amazing dunks.

- Caron Butler's buzzer-beating shot against Indiana.

- How the refs absolutely STOLE the game from us against the Cavs on Christmas.

- The win over the Cavs due to LeBron's crab dribble.

- How management further ruined the season by putting the Wizard Girls in full coverage attire, therefore taking any and all enjoyment of home games away.

Good times.

Posted by: VeCente115 | April 17, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll always remember that sweet feeling after we beat Cleveland 4 game to none in the playoff series...

Wait, they're bringing my medication...

Posted by: Samson151 | April 17, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The constant me against us carping of metwan jamision and the media's failure to recognize the negative effect it had on the team's performance. I believe he is a cancer that should be excised in any prudent way. His points are offset by his total lack of defense. His rebounds are got at the expense of defense; he has no assists to speak of and his attitude is always "Those young fellows keep holding me down." He should be run out of town to take his year long nag elsewhere.

GAR

Posted by: h20law2000 | April 17, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

The Gilbert game against the Cavs stands out as both a wonderful flashback and the thing that keeps me hopeful for next year. That game reminded me why I watch, something I had questioned repeatedly this season.

Other than that, it's probably McGee and his flashes of brilliant offense and comical defense. He's raw but fun, and I've enjoyed watching him.

Posted by: pondaz | April 17, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone want to remember anything about this season. The sooner forgotten the better.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 17, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

the first 5 minutes of Gilbert's first game back against Detroit capped by his 3. that was one of the very few (only?) times the Wizkidz made me jump out of my seat with excitement.

Posted by: PVGtownAz | April 17, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

2008-2009 Memories.

The first win against Utah.

Taps first game -- a nice win.

The two wins against Cleveland.

Caron's final game winning shots against Indiana and Toronto.

Gil's two games and Haywood's return.

Some good moments too by several of the young players.

The high point was the final home game against Cleveland.

Posted by: JPRS | April 17, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Watching the two buzzcut, meathead Cavs fans that were sitting behind me leave without saying a word (after we'd been arguing the entire second-half) when Lebron was FINALLY called for a travel.

Posted by: tmilt27@aol.com | April 17, 2009 3:26 PM | Report abuse

McGee's dunks.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | April 17, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Injuries and 4th quarter collapses -- that's this past season for me. I'll also remember beating Cleveland twice. But out of this disastrous season, I think the Wizards will emerge a power next year. Gil is talking about wanting to have the most triple doubles next year, rather than focusing on scoring. I take the man at his word. Also, I think the team has a great attitude -- they are chastened by this season yet determined to redeem themselves, and will make the needed adjustments with the new coaching staff.

Posted by: 7snider7 | April 17, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I'll remember the minutes NOT played by the Young Guys.

I think they will be remembered most next year when all you'll hear is they just need more PT but we can't give it cause we're finally competitive.

Posted by: VBFan | April 17, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The wins vs the Cavs. I've done my best to block out all the rest.

Posted by: jon_quest | April 17, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Who wants to remember ANYTHING from this miserable season? It's a carbon-copy of the last 19 win season. Lets just move on.

Posted by: glawrence007 | April 18, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

we balled in houston and deshawn made a shot, no lie

Posted by: bford1kb | April 18, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely Nothing!!!! Lotto time Baby!!!!!

Posted by: washwizkids | April 19, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse

*The Tapp and D'Brick manlove saga.

*McGee's awesome dunks.

*Letravel's "Crab Dribble" and his hilarious attempt to justify it.

*Tapp's awful coaching (rotations, "minutes have to be earned", no PT for the young guys)

*Rooting for more loses to improve our draft standing.

Posted by: Fontana1 | April 19, 2009 10:16 AM | Report abuse