Wizards (18-61) at Raptors (30-48)

Wizards starters: Javaris Crittenton, Dominic McGuire, Caron Butler, Antawn Jamison, Brendan Haywood.

Raptors: Jose Calderon, Anthony Parker, Shawn Marion, Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani

Refs: Sean Corbin, David Guthrie and Michael Smith

Line: Raptors by 6.5.

Interim Coach Ed Tapscott said he noticed some slippage in the team after that emotional, 109-101 win over Cleveland, the team with the NBA's best record, last Thursday at Verizon Center. "We've seen the results of it," Tapscott said, mentioning the back-to-back double-digit losses to Miami and Cleveland.

He urged the team to a more serious approach, beginning tonight against the Raptors. "You want to get back on track. You want to finish the season with some since of strength and professionalism," Tapscott said. "We really wanted a business-like shootaround and I think we got one."

... This 8 p.m. start really threw me off. I completely forgot that this game was originally supposed to on ESPN. ESPN swapped this game to televise the Knicks at Orlando a few months ago, but for some reason the Raptors kept the same game time. That's unfortunate. I still arrived at the time I would for a 7 p.m. game. When I got ready to enter the locker room, the security guard reminded me of the later start. I was so bored that I sat down courtside and watched Gilbert Arenas take jumpers around 5:45.

Arenas isn't playing, of course. But before the game, he spotted Nick Young watching film of the Raptors' 130-101 loss to the Indiana Pacers. Arenas decided to give Young a pop quiz question.

"What do you do when you're double-teamed coming out of the pick and roll?" Arenas asked.

"Shoot it," Young said.

... On Thursday afternoon, Antawn Jamison watched the Toronto Blue Jays beat the Detroit Tigers and sat about five rows behind home the plate at Regents Centre. Jamison said he wants to throw the first pitch at a Nationals game this season. That immediately made me ask if he's going to do a better job than Caron Butler, whose toss two years ago was terrible, to be polite. The ball landed well short of home plate and led to some boos from the crowd. Jamison asked Butler what was the problem and Butler said he didn't take any practice throws. "I was too cocky."

... Someone asked me why I referred to Mo Williams as the "Original Hibachi" yesterday, so I wanted to explain. Brendan Haywood actually coined the "Hibachi" phrase two seasons ago, when Williams was a member of the Milwaukee Bucks and scored a then-career-high 35 points against the Wizards. The next practice, Haywood said Williams was on fire, like a hibachi grill. Gilbert Arenas then snatched the tag and made it his own.

... DeShawn Stevenson will have a Q&A with fans on Tuesday at noon at ESPN Zone. He's expected to talk about his back injury, the Wizards' season, and be available for autographs and photos.

By Michael Lee  |  April 10, 2009; 7:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Other Side: Toronto Raptors
Next: Wizards 100, Raptors 98

Comments

By Michael Lee | April 10, 2009; 7:35 PM ET

Posted by: Barno1 | April 10, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

You are not reading it correctly.

Posted by: cannontl | April 10, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

That Gil question and Nick Young response was funny. I know alot of people will hate on stuff like that but I dont mind a team having some jokes at the end of a crappy season that you probably wanted to end 2 months ago. Next year this team will still be a fun team but will be 10x more serious when they have to and it wont be because of a new coach. You can just tell that the vets truly for the 1st time feel the urgency and they know that its do or die next year. You can also tell that the young guys also feel the urgency and know that if they dont train to the max in the Offseaon and act like a Pro next year that they will be on the bench with everyone healthy and could easily be traded which none of them seem to want because they obviously like it here. I truly think these guys will be focused next year

Posted by: dlts20 | April 10, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

The Toronto Raptors another team that fired a good coach (Sam Mitchell) for no reason and got just what they deserved,a dumb azz GM(Brian Colangelo) just like Grunfeld ruins their playoff hopes by getting rid of Mitchell even though they were only one game under.500 at the time (fifteen games into the season) They need to show his azz the door just like he did Sam,Colangelo son of Phoenix Exec Jerry Colangelo is a so-called know it all yeah right well kid it backfired on you and now you just pack up your sh&t and get to steppin!

Posted by: dargregmag | April 10, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

No minutes for McGee. Looks like Taps is trying to get back at McGee for his statements in the Post article about that inconsistent minutes being hard to deal with. And who is the knucklehead? This game isn't exactly a playoff tie-breaker.

Posted by: Izman | April 10, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

barno1: "How would Haywood have seen the Bucks next practice after they played? That made zero sense Michael."

Haywood coined the term at the next Wiz practice, to describe Williams' performance at the earlier game.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 10, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

MARK JACKSON IS THE RIGHT COACH FOR THIS WIZARDS TEAM.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 12:35 PM "

Isaiah Thomas was a better player than Mark Jackson ever was or ever will be. How did he work out as a coach?

Stephon Marbury and Gilby Arenas are both knuckleheads, and Gilby is an even bigger diva..I doubt if Mark Jackson will work well with Gilby.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 10, 2009 4:27 PM

DC_MAN88,

Comparing Mark with Isaiah Thomas is like apples and oranges to me. Isaiah Thomas was a vengeful dimwitted person. He could play, but he was not intelligent.

One of the worst things I've ever seen in the NBA was what he did to Adrian Dantley.

To have him traded away for his buddy Mark Aquirre was downright low-lifed and disrespectful.

At least the Piston organization realized that Dantley deserved a championship Ring and is why he has one today.

Mark Jackson is a smart individual and Isiah Thomas is not. Mark Jackson's knowledge and intelligence on the game is far superior to Isaiah.

And secondly, if Mark Jackson had the supporting cast that Isaiah had, he would have a few rings too.

Ya heard me.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 10:34 PM | Report abuse

With the win tonight the Wizards are in 3rd place for the lottery. If two team get lucky the Wizards could end up with the 5th pick?

All I know is they better not pick a player who wants to shot the ball and score some points, in that case they would need to petition the NBA and David Stern that when they are offense they can play with three basketball since Gil, CB, and AJ do not like to give the ball up when it gets into their hands.

Posted by: bulletsfan78 | April 10, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jeremydvid | April 10, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

"The alternate gold Duracell battery uniforms will be retired on Monday! Hope they bring back red,white and blue uni's.

Posted by: jeremydvid | April 10, 2009 10:52 PM "

Red, white, and blue "Wizards?"

Doesn't sound like it'll work.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 10, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

DLTS20,

That analogy on the urgency of the Team next year is quite valid and an astute analogy.

I just hope we get the right coach to go along with it.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Brendan Haywood sure looks like a top 10 NBA center to me.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | April 10, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Ya heard me.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 10:34 PM "

In case you didn't know:

Isiah Thomas is one of the top 50 NBA players of all time and a hall of famer. Where be Mark?

Isiah Thomas has one NCAA championship ring, and two NBA championship rings. Mark has ring around the collar.

BTW, in 13 seasons, Zeke has 18,822 total pts and 1,861 total steals.

In 17 seasons, Mark has 12,489 total pts and 1,608 total steals.

------------------------------------------
Zeke:

* NCAA Basketball Tournament Most Outstanding Player (1981)
* NBA All-Rookie Team (1982)
* 12× NBA All-Star (1982-93)
* 2× NBA All-Star Game MVP (1984, 1986)
* 3× All-NBA First Team (1984-86)
* 2× All-NBA Second Team (1983, 1987)
* 2× NBA Champion (1989, 1990)
* NBA Finals MVP (1990)
* U.S. Olympian (1980)
* NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1996)
* Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (2000)

Mark:

* 1987-88 NBA Rookie of the Year
* 1989 NBA All-Star

------------------

My PG brotha, as always....you either need to do your homework before typing, or just keep quiet and nod your head, because I keep disproving you EVARRREY time.

Case closed. Holla at your boy....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 10, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

"Brendan Haywood sure looks like a top 10 NBA center to me.

Posted by: UltimateFootballNetwork | April 10, 2009 11:02 PM "

Les BouleS ended last season at 43-39.

With BTH in the lineup, they could easily have been in the playoffs again as the 5th seed going against Atlanta.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 10, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

BulletsFan78,

Mark Jackson would solve that problem easily.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the Wizards are pretty much a lock for the 3rd position going into the lottery.

OKC's win tonight guarantees the Wiz no less than 3rd. Sacramento is losing to the Clippers, so they're locked into the last/first position. Pretty good chance too that the Wizards pick up at least one more win. The Clippers face teams still vying for playoff position and an OKC team that's still playing to win, so there's a pretty good chance that LAC loses its last 3.

So the Wizards have about about a 15 percent shot at the #1 overall and about a 50 percent chance at a top 3.

Posted by: JPRS | April 10, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

DC_MANN

I suggest you get off your horse. Having an impressive basketball career does not make him a great GM or coach. He got taken to court for sexual harrassment, and the settlement was one of the largets in history! "Zeke" is scum. How are those killer moves for Starbury, Z Randolph, Jeffries workin out for the Knicks?

You can pile on all the statistics you want, but your premise is idiotic. Good luck with that.

MAS

Posted by: shah11 | April 10, 2009 11:43 PM | Report abuse

That alone should tell you something about his capacity to lead and to coach. New York is rueing the day they chose D'Antoni instead of Mark. If they had chosen Mark, along with there scoring they might also be able to stop somebody.

Trust me when I tell Ya' DC_MAN88, whomever decides to make MARK JACKSON their coach will be the next Team to win an NBA champioship.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

"DC_MANN

MAS

Posted by: shah11 | April 10, 2009 11:43 PM "

You must be retarded, ignorant, or both.

If you followed the story, you would have noted that I said, in response to Larry's point, that Mark Jackson's basketball credentials have absolutely nothing to do with his potential coaching ability.

To which I used Isiah Thomas as an example as he was a great player, but bad coach.

Then Larry proceeded to again to say that Mark had more assists, so he should be a better coach than Isiah, while conveniently ignoring the fact that Mark played 4 more seasons....as if assist total mattered at all, once again.

Therefore, check your rant at the door and go spank your monkey which is probably the only thing you're good at.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 10, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

"Yeah, you said Isaiah was a better player. I can't dispute that as you so aptly pointed out. But, my point about smarts and intelligence and professionalism still weighs heavy in Mark Jacksons favor.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 11:47 PM "

And I'll say it again, as Caron pretty much implied..

Les BouleS don't need a coach who needs OJT, and Mark will need that.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 10, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Shah11. Character also speaks volumes.

My Thanks.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks Shah11. Character also speaks volumes.

My Thanks.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 11:52 PM "

As does ignorance, as Shah clearly showed in his response directed at me.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 10, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

DC_MANN, LARRY -

DC_MANN - I do see now that you were responding to Larry. But WTF. It doesn't matter because the ultimate point is that Zeke would not be a good coach. He would be a terrible choice. He has no morals and would ruin the Wiz.

Larry - Who cares how many assists a man has. WTF does that have to do with coaching?

The Wiz need a coach who the players are willing to play defense for. I don't know who that is, but until they play defense, they will not make it to the promise land (NBA Finals).

MAS

Posted by: shah11 | April 10, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

"Having an impressive basketball career does not make him a great GM or coach.
MAS

Posted by: shah11 | April 10, 2009 11:43 PM ""

Larry, before you start thanking everybody, look at what he wrote, which thereby goes against your argument that Mark Jackson being a great player would also make him a great coach...

Talk about egg in the face.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

If Caron knew what coach they needed, they would have him already.

Hello, all he had to do was go knock on Ernie's door and tell him the coach they needed when they fired Eddie.

DC_MAN88, yo' logic' is' wack'. Yeah, that don't work cause he ain't the GM, he's just a darn good playa'.

And let me tell you about OJT. MARK JACKSON and OJT will bust the doors on no less than 4th spot in the east next year.

And depending on the excitement and the chemistry, the playoffs would be wide and I mean wide open for the champioship game in the East or at least the Semi's in the East.

Ya' Heard' Me.'

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

"It's a stupid arguement. There are few great coaches in the NBA. Although sometimes great coaches were once NBA players (i.e. Phil Jackson), rarely does their ability as a player match their ability to coach (i.e. Jordan).

MAS

Posted by: shah11 | April 10, 2009 11:56 PM "

And what did you do but to join this so called "stupid argument."

Again, you fail to understand.

I did not say Zeke should be the Les BouleS coach.

I said that Zeke was a better player and still a bad coach, so by definition, Mark Jackson, who was not as good a player shouldn't necessarily be considered a slam dunk coach either.

I guess Larry will try to get a refund for his "Thanks Shah11. Character also speaks volumes. My Thanks."

Right here about now....

LMFAO...

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

"If Caron knew what coach they needed, they would have him already.

Ya' Heard' Me.'

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:05 AM "

Oh really.....I didn't know Caron was the franchise max money player who had EG and Abe's ear.....

I didn't know Caron was Abe's favorite player and considered him a son.

Yeah, and you were probably just as excited about Gar Heard too.

LMFAO!

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

SHAH11,

I threw his assist's out there because I am impressed that Mark Jackson is number two on the assist list. If I had to guess I would never have guessed that Mark Jackson was that high on the assist list.

I remember Mark as a scorer who loved to back his man to basket and score on him.

Intelligence again exemplified in his play. To me it is a attribute that may contribute to good coaching.

Its like good credit. If you got it everybody wants to loan to you. But if you need a loan and got no credit, you get no loans.

When it comes to coaching, MARK JACKSON has no credit, but iffin' ya' hire him, that loan is gonna' get paid bac'.

Ya' Heard' Me.'

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

"The fact that he is #2 on the NBA assist chart tells me something about his knowledge of the on-the-court game.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:21 AM "

Hmmm....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Don't loose your argument. Stay on track.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

"Ok, so Stockton and Jackson are 1 and 2 on the all time list, but neither of them have rings.

Hmmm....

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 12:25 AM"

My fella PG brotha, we not talkin' rings, we talkin' Coachin.'

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

"No DC_MAN88, you said that Caron knew what they needed as Coach. I did not. I was pointing the fallacy in your assumption.

Don't loose your argument. Stay on track.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:29 AM "

Dude, you already lost.

Mark Jackson is only on your radar....no one else's.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

"My fella PG brotha, we not talkin' rings, we talkin' Coachin.'

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:39 AM "

I thought we wuz talking about assists?!?!?!

--------------------------------------------

"Mark Jackson is number two behind John Stockton. He has over a thousand more assist than Thomas.

Ya heard me.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 10, 2009 10:34 PM "

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

And furthermore, Stockton and Jackson got trumped by Defensive minded coaches.

If there coaches had realized the asset they had in them two they would have put better players around them and they might have gotten a Ring.

Especially, when Pat Riley had Mark Jackson with the Knicks. He chose to trade Mark and keep John Starks. Had he kept Mark his offensive prowess might have gotten a Ring for him in New York. Pat Riley was just that close and lack of Offensive play cost him.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

"Check the blogs my friend. Mark Jackson is truly on my radar, but there are some others that can see the value in him be selected as the next Wizards coach.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 1:00 AM "

Some other anonymous people here on this blog?? Is that what you are saying??

That and a dollar, my friend, might get you a cup of coffee at 7-11.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

"And furthermore, Stockton and Jackson got trumped by Defensive minded coaches.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 12:56 AM "

Make some sense dude.

Les BouleS are seriously lacking in defense, and now you're trumpeting Mark Jackson because he got booted by Riley b/c of his lack of defensive ability/focus?

Must be something in the PG water.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 1:05 AM | Report abuse

"And if Isaiah is so good, where is he on the all-time assist chart. Mark Jackson is number two behind John Stockton. He has over a thousand more assist than Thomas."

A result of the fact that he played 4 more years in the NBA than Isiah Thomas did.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 11, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

"If I had to guess I would never have guessed that Mark Jackson was that high on the assist list."

"I remember Mark as a scorer ..."

Then you need to start taking your ginko biloba. Mark Jackson a scorer? Please. If you're really surprised by the fact that Mark Jackson racked up a lot of assists in his career, then you clearly have never actually watched him play and would be better served by not talking about him anymore because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted by: kalo_rama | April 11, 2009 1:26 AM | Report abuse

Kalo,

Contrare to popular opinion, Defense aint' everthang', cause' witout' no Offense, it gets you nothin.'

MARK JACKSON fueled the Offense and Chemistry for the New York Knickerbockers, and when Pat Riley took MR. JACKSON out of the equation, he shot himself in the Big Toe.

You see the Defensive Guru he is, he has never gotten a Ring without Good Offensive Talent.

He needed MARK JACKSON to get that Ring in New York, cause' MARK JACKSON was more important to the Offensive flow and to the Team than he realized.

With Mark at the helm PAT RILEY would have won a Ring in New York becuase MARK JACKSON and PATRICK EWING together fueled the Garden with excitement and chemistry like when they had the Pearl and Reed on the floor.

YEAH, DC_MAN88 and KALO_RAMA, Defense can talk a good game like you two, But my buddy Offense is what makes it go round.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"Where did you come from late in the game. DC_Man88 musta' hadda' call out the calvary. Needed some help I suppose.

LarryInClintonMD.

Posted by: LarryInClintonMD | April 11, 2009 10:32 AM "

Larry, don't flatter yourself.

It's you who needs to call the cavalry.

With regard to defense vs. offense, Les BouleS have more of a defensive problem than offensive problem. Mark Jackson ain't gonna put the ball through the hoop, and he doesn't have Ewing to work with on this team.

Also, keep up with your make believe with your argument that Riley would have won with the Knicks if he had kept Mark Jackson.

I guess in your NBA history, you forgot about a player by the name of Michael Jordan.

Posted by: DC_MAN88 | April 11, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse